PDA

View Full Version : Dunn at the very least should have his option picked up

AmarilloRed
10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Dunn news from Baker's presser

The most newsworthy thing that came out of the Dusty Baker press conference is that Adam Dunn's option is going to be picked up.

"It's very difficult to replace that type of offense," CEO Bob Castellini said, " and I think Adam wants to step up and be a leader on this club."

So Dunn will be back?

"I feel that way," Castellini said.

Castellini said there's a possibility that Dunn's contract will be extended.

"That's always a thought," he said.

We have all expected the Reds to pick up Dunn's option after the season he just had, but I think this is confirmation. Bob Castellini wants the option picked up, so it will be picked up. He also sounds like he is very interested in working on an extension for Dunn. I think the Dunn news is the most important thing to come out of Dusty Baker's news conference. I copied all this from John Fay's Blog if anyone is interested in looking at it.

Degenerate39
10-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Love it maybe Dunn can be team captain

Hey Meat
10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
We still need to move an outfielder. Who will it be? I think we will have to move someone since it will be hard to get a decent pitcher through free agency.

Degenerate39
10-15-2007, 04:54 PM
We still need to move an outfielder. Who will it be? I think we will have to move someone since it will be hard to get a decent pitcher through free agency.

Griffey

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 05:08 PM
GriffeyAbsolutly. There is little, or nothing to be los with Bruce. Let's just hope to God that it's not Dunn. He, Harang, and Phillips are the backbone of this team.:)

WMR
10-15-2007, 06:35 PM
I doubt Cast will want to trade Griffey with him on the cusp of 600 hrs. That just seems to be the sort of thing that he would place a lot of value on.

Degenerate39
10-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I doubt Cast will want to trade Griffey with him on the cusp of 600 hrs. That just seems to be the sort of thing that he would place a lot of value on.

Personally I wouldn't trade Griffey until July. The Mariners would be the first place I would ask. Try to get a decent starter maybe or some bullpen help.

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 06:39 PM
I doubt Cast will want to trade Griffey with him on the cusp of 600 hrs. That just seems to be the sort of thing that he would place a lot of value on.If Castillini wants to truely prove that he is in it to win then he will trade Griffey. Sure he will bring in some revenue for them next year, but it may be in the team's long term intrest to trade him.:)

Natty Redlocks
10-15-2007, 06:42 PM
If Castillini wants to truely prove that he is in it to win then he will trade Griffey. Sure he will bring in some revenue for them next year, but it may be in the team's long term intrest to trade him.:)

Before Dusty lets him go back to center field.

Newport Red
10-15-2007, 09:01 PM

I think his trade value is greater prior to him passing 600.
Now, he's a great moving into rarified territory.

Afterwards, he's a 38 year old owed alot of money.

ChatterRed
10-15-2007, 09:01 PM
If Castillini wants to truely prove that he is in it to win then he will trade Griffey. Sure he will bring in some revenue for them next year, but it may be in the team's long term intrest to trade him.:)

Let Junior's 600 quest bring revenue in for some other team. In fact, that could be a positive in trying to trade him to somebody.

It would kinda be cool to see him play for Seattle when he hits it. I would watch.

But in the best interest of this team, trading Griffey for possibly Clemente (catcher) of Seattle would help this team the most, and then bring up Jay Bruce. Think of the overhaul of the position players - Hamilton CF, Bruce RF, Phillips 2B, Votto 1B, Gonzalez SS, EE 3B and Keppinger.

GoReds33
10-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Let Junior's 600 quest bring revenue in for some other team. In fact, that could be a positive in trying to trade him to somebody.

It would kinda be cool to see him play for Seattle when he hits it. I would watch.

But in the best interest of this team, trading Griffey for possibly Clemente (catcher) of Seattle would help this team the most, and then bring up Jay Bruce. Think of the overhaul of the position players - Hamilton CF, Bruce RF, Phillips 2B, Votto 1B, Gonzalez SS, EE 3B and Keppinger.Yeah, you are right. I would defenitly watch if he was chasing it in Seattle. I think that the chase just increases his value, and makes teams more willing to take on his salary. Let's hope they can get something good in return, so we won't have to question this move forever.:)

AmarilloRed
10-15-2007, 10:57 PM
I really would like to see Griffey hit no.600 as a Cincinnati Red. I expect he would do that early in the season, and then it would be good to trade him at the deadline next year.

TDHND
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM

Freel?

AmarilloRed
10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
The extension we gave Freel and his age might make it difficult to trade him. I would do it if we can, though

Jim
10-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Even though I do not want to lose him, I can see Hamilton moved for pitching.

AmarilloRed
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Hamilton is very talented and very cheap for some time to come; I would be very surprised if the Reds traded him.

TDHND
10-15-2007, 11:50 PM
Even though I do not want to lose him, I can see Hamilton moved for pitching.

I hope he isn't traded. He showed flashes of being a stude until he got hurt.

Natty Redlocks
10-16-2007, 05:39 AM
I hope he isn't traded. He showed flashes of being a stude until he got hurt.

And we all know how valuable studes are. Seriously, he is the perfect candidate for a trade. Extremely high ceiling but the team has plenty of outfielders and plenty of lefty bats. He's always going to be a risk to fall off the wagon and this season shows he may always be injury prone. But because he's so good and cheap, some teams would likely give up something pretty good for him. Don't know if anyone noticed but the Reds need pitching and if it were easy to get they would already have it. They'll likely have to give up someone good and cheap to get it and Hamilton is a great candidate.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
simple.....

Keep Dunn and Hamilton.

that's it.......

AmarilloRed
10-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Castellini wants Dunn to return in 2008
Slugger 'glad to hear' Reds CEO's comments on Monday
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Now that the Reds have named a new manager, the decision over outfielder Adam Dunn's $13 million club option for 2008 is a front-and-center offseason issue again.

On Monday, Reds owner/CEO Bob Castellini tipped his hand on which way he was leaning.

"I want him back. We'll see what happens," Castellini said during the press conference that introduced Dusty Baker as Cincinnati's new manager. "There's a strong feeling that we want him back."

Dunn batted .264 with 40 home runs and a career-high 106 RBIs in 152 games this season. He is the only Reds player to hit 40 homers over four straight seasons.

"That means a lot," Dunn said of Castellini's comments. "That's the head honcho right there. That's something I'm glad to hear. Hopefully, something will get worked out."

If the option isn't picked up, there is a $500,000 buyout. Dunn said he's been away from home for about a week and hasn't been in contact with the team or agent Greg Genske about any developments.

"I haven't heard anything and no one has told me anything," he said. "It's same as when I left at the end of the season."

Castellini's opinion came after Baker was asked if he'd like to have Dunn on his team next season.

"This is something we have to talk about," Baker said. "He's a big part of this team. We haven't really gotten into personnel yet."

The Reds have until 10 days after the World Series ends to make a decision on Dunn's option.

If he does return, Dunn is excited about the idea of playing for Baker.

"I talked to a lot of people that played for him, and they said he was awesome," Dunn said. "From what I've been hearing, he's like the 26th man. His credentials speak for itself."

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.