PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone happy?

stevekun
10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Man people on here are crying a lot. We must have no trust in our upper management. Dusty is a PROVEN winner. All everyone has focused on is a year in which two pitchers got hurt and all of a sudden its all Dusty's fault,,,,it can't be the mechanics or the fact that one had a prior surgery.

I just think that no one would be happy no matter who we would have hired.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 03:23 PM
........... All everyone has focused on is a year in which two pitchers got hurt and all of a sudden its all Dusty's fault,,,,it can't be the mechanics or the fact that one had a prior surgery.

not true. DB's record over his four years with the Cub speaks for itself, dude.

what fun would it be if everyone were happy? this is great entertainment.

GoReds33
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM

what fun would it be if everyone were happy? this is great entertainment.It is great entertainment. I guess that the new press will spurr some more attendence at the games next year. That's probably what they were going for. I really don't understand why Daugherty wrote that Krivsky and Casillini thought the fans would love this move. I think that the innitial reaction when it got out that he was our top candidate should have stopped that. Am I suprised that people aren't happy? No. We were all spoiled with the Big Red Machine, and Sparky Anderson. I guess a solid manager is the key to a winning team, but a great manager, like Anderson, and like Pinella is the key to a championship.:)

stevekun
10-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Pinella is a great manager? hmmmm

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Pinella is a great manager? hmmmm

why is anyone talking about Lou? let's go......

Degenerate39
10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I like that they're spending money on a manager finally and getting someone that's not already in the organization. I think this is a step in the right direction. At first I admit I didn't like it but I've came around. I'm hoping Dusty will change some people's opinions on here and for the better.

texasdave
10-16-2007, 03:49 PM
Dusty has about 9 million reasons to be happy.

IowaRed
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Dusty has a winning pct. over .500, so technically he is a proven winner. This is a guy who gave Neifi Perez 572 AB's in 2005-his OBP that year .298, for his career .297. He also contributed in some way to the downfall of some very talented young pitchers (to what extent is debateable) but it's safe to say he didn't have a positive effect on them. His lineup construction and game management has consistently been at best questionable and in my opinion atrocious. He often takes the role of victim and has at one time or another blamed just about everybody for his team's woes including fans and broadcasters. According to some he chooses veterans over youngsters to a fault (see Neifi above) Not how I would describe a proven winner. In his defense people have said things like: some of those things in Chicago got overblown, or he handles big egos well, or players want to play for him. Those things are fine but I haven't heard anybody say anything like "he's a fine manager, he makes smart baseball moves, and helps develop young players by putting them in positions to succeed". If I heard things like that coming from Baker supporters I would be a little happier.

ChatterRed
10-16-2007, 04:08 PM

what fun would it be if everyone were happy? this is great entertainment.

Wow. Since you so conveniently discard his winning seasons (which was most of them), let's discard the few bad ones with the Cubs...........I'm sure his winning percentage would increase tremendously over his already .527 winning percentage. ;):thumbup::beerme:

durl
10-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Rosenthal at Fox Sports is reporting that Krivsky and Castellini addressed the "working pitchers too hard" concern with Baker. Hopefully that will not be a problem at Cincinnati.

I have to admit that I wasn't initially pleased with the hire but I believe that will change. I'm already softening a bit. The front office went out and got a big name manager who has won in the past. We haven't had that kind of manager in Cincy for years.

ChatterRed
10-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Rosenthal at Fox Sports is reporting that Krivsky and Castellini addressed the "working pitchers too hard" concern with Baker. Hopefully that will not be a problem at Cincinnati.

I have to admit that I wasn't initially pleased with the hire but I believe that will change. I'm already softening a bit. The front office went out and got a big name manager who has won in the past. We haven't had that kind of manager in Cincy for years.

I agree. In no way are my posts to be taken as labeling Dusty as our saviour. But I'm tired of the Miley's, Narron's, and Mackanin's. We haven't caught lightning in a bottle and it's time to give a proven manager a chance. The last one's we had, Davey Johnson and Jack McKeon actually did pretty well. So let's give DB the benefit of the doubt since trying out unproven managers isn't working.

TheWalls
10-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Just curious, what the heck do I have to be happy about?

Has anything that happened since the end of the season done anything to:

1) improve Dunn's give-a-damn in the field or his modify his approach with RISP?
2) improved our relief corps? (although one could argue releasing Saarlos did)
3) added starting pitching?
4) create a mentality of clutch hitting like Arizona and Colorado have shown simply wins in the post season?
5) Gotten my mind off how bad the Bengals stink? (although the Bears and Michigan have helped immensely).

No.

Then I guess I'm simply NOT happy ... yet. I'm squarely in wait and see mode, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Dunner44
10-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Just curious, what the heck do I have to be happy about?

Has anything that happened since the end of the season done anything to:

1) improve Dunn's give-a-damn in the field or his modify his approach with RISP?
2) improved our relief corps? (although one could argue releasing Saarlos did)
3) added starting pitching?
4) create a mentality of clutch hitting like Arizona and Colorado have shown simply wins in the post season?
5) Gotten my mind off how bad the Bengals stink? (although the Bears and Michigan have helped immensely).

No.

Then I guess I'm simply NOT happy ... yet. I'm squarely in wait and see mode, but I don't have to be happy about it.

Most of the things you want couldn't happen yet, seeing as how some teams are still playing baseball. Give the FO time, getting a manager was merely the first step.

Will M
10-16-2007, 05:28 PM
:)

I am fairly happy about the Reds.

I am willing to take a wait and see attitude towards Dusty. Partly because there wasn't one single available candidate I could get excited about.

Old NDN
10-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I am not happy with the choice for various reasons. But, hey, I'm a Reds fan first, and I can live with it. I guess that puts me in the "wait and see" column.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow. Since you so conveniently discard his winning seasons (which was most of them), let's discard the few bad ones with the Cubs...........I'm sure his winning percentage would increase tremendously over his already .527 winning percentage. ;):thumbup::beerme:

what have you done for me lately, dude?

it was a deliberate discard. follow the downward trend.

TheWalls
10-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Most of the things you want couldn't happen yet, seeing as how some teams are still playing baseball. Give the FO time, getting a manager was merely the first step.

That would be why I wrote the last two sentences.:bang:

ChatterRed
10-16-2007, 07:47 PM
what have you done for me lately, dude?

it was a deliberate discard. follow the downward trend.

I'm not your dude, dude. ;)

AmarilloRed
10-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I think most of us here are willing to give Dusty a chance, but he needs to show he has learned from some of his past mistakes. I really do hope he can lead us to the playoffs next year. It should not be too hard in the NL Central.

Carolina Red
10-16-2007, 09:28 PM

I would have been happier if the Reds would have waited to see how the Torre situation pans out OR asked the Yankers permission to talk with him. From all I've heard over the last couple of days the Reds had pretty much set their sights on Baker since July and weren't even taking a hard look at anyone else. That is very disappointing.

I'm really unhappy with MLB in general. I hate the fact that they stuck the Reds in this God awful division with the Lovable Losers and their horrible fans. If that's not bad enough we also have the Cardinals and their uppity fans and announcers. I wish they would move the Reds back to the West and we could revisit the good old days of the rivalry with the Dodgers. I'd even take the East. At least we wouldn't have to endure all the drunk Cubs fans but once a year.

Jack Burton
10-16-2007, 09:45 PM
At first I was unsure about the hire, but now I am quite pleased. I just got this feeling dusty's gonna win here and that will make it twice as hard for the cubs fans to take. To me it shows that the front office is ready to make some moves to field a winning team, I am very excited about 2008.

Natty Redlocks
10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Dusty has a winning pct. over .500, so technically he is a proven winner. This is a guy who gave Neifi Perez 572 AB's in 2005-his OBP that year .298, for his career .297. He also contributed in some way to the downfall of some very talented young pitchers (to what extent is debateable) but it's safe to say he didn't have a positive effect on them. His lineup construction and game management has consistently been at best questionable and in my opinion atrocious. He often takes the role of victim and has at one time or another blamed just about everybody for his team's woes including fans and broadcasters. According to some he chooses veterans over youngsters to a fault (see Neifi above) Not how I would describe a proven winner. In his defense people have said things like: some of those things in Chicago got overblown, or he handles big egos well, or players want to play for him. Those things are fine but I haven't heard anybody say anything like "he's a fine manager, he makes smart baseball moves, and helps develop young players by putting them in positions to succeed". If I heard things like that coming from Baker supporters I would be a little happier.

It's so easy to tell which people have actually had some experience watching Dusty in action. Great post.

Casey
10-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I was totally against the hire at first, but after having a few days pass, I'm willing to give it a chance. Sure, I would have liked for them to wait a while to make a hire just to see who would have been available instead of hiring Baker so soon, but it's done deal now and something we have to live with.

AmarilloRed
10-16-2007, 10:49 PM
I imagine we would not be Reds fans if we were happy.:)

ThirdBaseCoach
10-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I'm not your dude, dude. ;)

no, but you are DB's, bro.