Thank you Bob now sign him to a 4 year deal

CarolinaRedleg
10-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Very cool.

And now, please lock him up long term

Degenerate39
10-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Faye

Adam Dunn's $13 million option is going to be picked up, and don't be surprised if the Reds tack a couple of years on Dunn's contract eventually.

Dusty Baker was asked about Dunn's option Monday in his introductory press conference. He was diplomatic.

"He's a big part of this team," Baker said. "We haven't talked about personnel."

Just then CEO Bob Castellini interrupted.

"I want him back," he said. "We'll see what happens."

"When the big man speaks . . ." Baker said.

Dunn hasn't heard anything official but was happy when that information was relayed to him.

"That's good news," Dunn said.

Later on, Castellini spoke a little more on the Dunn issue.

"It's very difficult to replace that kind of offense," Castellini said. "And I think Adam is ready to step up and be a leader on this team."

Castellini and Dunn had lunch just before the season ended. There was a meeting of the minds.

"Adam definitely wants to be here, and he wants to win," Castellini said.

Dunn, 27, had his best year statistically - .264, 40 home runs, 106 RBI, 101 runs, 101 walks.

Keeping that kind of production in the lineup long term is something the Reds are looking at.

"That's always a thought," Castellini said when asked about a longer-term contract for Dunn.

Dunn is open to a possible multi-year contract extension.

"That's the way I prefer to do it, so I don't have to hear trade talk every year," he said.

Dunn was happy to hear Baker got the job.

"I've talked to a lot of people who have played with him and played for him, and everybody says good things about him," Dunn said.

stevekun
10-16-2007, 05:08 PM
awesome!!!! looking good so far this offseason

ChatterRed
10-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Sign Dunn long term.........and then.......

.......trade him for pitching.

JUST KIDDING!;)

RedR8R
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Love the donkey, just wish he would learn how to hit some long fly outs when there are guys on third instead of windmilling. Glad he's coming back, just hope we have enough room in the outfield for all our capable players.

AmarilloRed
10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I am not sure if it is official yet. I saw on the ORG that ESPN News has reported that the Reds have picked up the option, but I have not seen it yet. We know Castellini is in favor of it, but I am still waiting for it to show up on Reds.com to know it is real. Fay's article says Dunn himself has not heard anything official yet. It is good news if it happens, though.

Will M
10-16-2007, 06:26 PM
It amazes me how many RedsZoners were freaking out that the Reds wouldn't do this. This was a 'no brainer'.
Some people need to relax a little.
If the Reds had declined it then we could have all hit the ceiling.

jmac
10-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Great move ! :thumbup:

Degenerate39
10-16-2007, 07:11 PM
It amazes me how many RedsZoners were freaking out that the Reds wouldn't do this. This was a 'no brainer'.

Not giving Juan Castro a contract is a no brainer too and look how that turned out.

GoReds33
10-16-2007, 07:15 PM
This should be the start of a good year. I just hope they can continue to be smart in every move they make this offseason. The way to start is to knock off everybody from your free agent board who isn't a pitcher or a catcher.

AdamDunn
10-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Very cool.

And now, please lock him up long term

Good move. But not to sure signing him long-term is a great idea. I want another year like last year before we do that.

kbrake
10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Good move. But not to sure signing him long-term is a great idea. I want another year like last year before we do that.

It would be alot cheaper to do it right now. Its not like this was Dunn's rookie season and we have no idea what he is capable of. Sign him to at least 4 years. Get it done WK.

Screwball
10-16-2007, 10:34 PM

Like in 2004, when he had 46 HRs, 102 RBI, 105 RS, and an OPS of .957? Or in 2005, when he had 40 HRs, 101 RBI, 107 RS, and an OPS of .927? Even in a "down" 2006, he had 40 HRs, 92 RBI, 99 RS, and OPS of .855.

Dunn's been doing this for years. He's only 27 (will be 28 in November), so we'll have him signed during his prime. I'd love to see him wearing Cincinnati red for the next 3 or 4 years.

Natty Redlocks
10-16-2007, 11:01 PM

No doubt. Save the freakout for if they do something really stupid, like hire the dumbest manager in baseball.

But they'd never do that, right?

SMcGavin
10-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Like in 2004, when he had 46 HRs, 102 RBI, 105 RS, and an OPS of .957? Or in 2005, when he had 40 HRs, 101 RBI, 107 RS, and an OPS of .927? Even in a "down" 2006, he had 40 HRs, 92 RBI, 99 RS, and OPS of .855.

Dunn's been doing this for years. He's only 27 (will be 28 in November), so we'll have him signed during his prime. I'd love to see him wearing Cincinnati red for the next 3 or 4 years.

Yea, I was just looking up those numbers, thanks for saving me the time. I agree with locking him up for four years, and Castellini's comments make me confident that it will happen.

Also I like the signature - I watched It's Always Sunny last week for the first time ever. Good stuff.

WMR
10-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Just keep Dusty and his free-swinging philosophy FAR, FAR, FAR away from Dunn. Dunn's ability to walk is a HUGE part of what makes him an offensive beast.

Screwball
10-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Also I like the signature - I watched It's Always Sunny last week for the first time ever. Good stuff.

Haha, yeah I wasn't sure if anybody would get the reference. Do yourself a favor and buy seasons 1 and 2 on DVD, though. Funniest show on TV if you ask me. :thumbup:

Just keep Dusty and his free-swinging philosophy FAR, FAR, FAR away from Dunn. Dunn's ability to walk is a HUGE part of what makes him an offensive beast.

Agreed. A pretty funny Cubs blogger joked Dusty will order Dunn to swing at every pitch around the AS break, resulting in Dunn's 81 home runs and 350 strikeouts.

Believe it or not, it's this that has me more worried about Dunn than about Bailey/Cueto/<insert pitcher here>. After reading several posts on different threads/sites, I now think Dusty isn't really to blame for Prior and Wood. However, his stance on walks and how "they call it hitting for a reason" makes me shudder when it comes to Dunn.

AmarilloRed
10-17-2007, 11:36 AM
I am beginning to think that there is not one objective person in the city of Chicago about Dusty Baker. I am willing to keep my peace on Dusty Baker until I see how he manages the Reds. I really don't think Adam is going to change much about his hitting style for Dusty's benefit.

BLEEDS
10-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Next thing you're going to tell me is that we're going to sign a veteran #4 SP for less than $10M per year...

What happened to my Reds?

New Manager, Talking Dunn Extension, what in the world?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I am beginning to think that there is not one objective person in the city of Chicago about Dusty Baker. I am willing to keep my peace on Dusty Baker until I see how he manages the Reds. I really don't think Adam is going to change much about his hitting style for Dusty's benefit.Yeah, that's why we hired Brook Jacoby. If Dunn were a free swinger he would lose most of his value. Atleast now he doesn't swing at bad pitches, he just misses the good pitches.:)