PDA

View Full Version : XM or Sirius

Ltlabner
10-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Ok, this has likely been hashed over before, but with the rapidly changing pace of technology I thought I'd ask the question again.

I traded in my Volvo V50 on a vechicle better suited to my needs and wonder of all wonders, it actually has an aux jack into the stereo. Loved the Volvo, hated the stereo with no earthy means to input an outside signal. Now inputing a static-free satalite radio signal will be a piece of cake. (FM transmitters are pure junk).

Anywho....which service is better?

How is the coverage? I travel mostly Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. I know this sounds daft being that it's satalite, but my GPS unit sometimes gets a weak signal, especially when in the valley between bigger hills/smaller mountains.

Which has better programing? I can find music anywhere, but I'd want to be sure to get ESPN radio, and MLB baseball games during the summer months.

Do you have to pay extra for "premium" stuff like MLB ballgames, etc?

Any techinical issues to be warry of?

Lastly, which one is going to win the satalite radio war? Or is the technology to hear both at once right around the corner?

Thanks in advance!

Unassisted
10-16-2007, 05:19 PM
XM subscriptions include MLB games and Sirius subscriptions don't. That's why I've never had Sirius. :)

There is a merger between the two services in the works that may change the programming options. It should be clearer what that will mean by the time baseball season rolls around in 2008.

Avoid XM receivers with SureConnect. The FM modulators are much weaker. Buy a discontinued model (if you can find it) to avoid this.

Reds Fanatic
10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok, this has likely been hashed over before, but with the rapidly changing pace of technology I thought I'd ask the question again.

I traded in my Volvo V50 on a vechicle better suited to my needs and wonder of all wonders, it actually has an aux jack into the stereo. Loved the Volvo, hated the stereo with no earthy means to input an outside signal. Now inputing a static-free satalite radio signal will be a piece of cake. (FM transmitters are pure junk).

Anywho....which service is better?

How is the coverage? I travel mostly Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. I know this sounds daft being that it's satalite, but my GPS unit sometimes gets a weak signal, especially when in the valley between bigger hills/smaller mountains.

Which has better programing? I can find music anywhere, but I'd want to be sure to get ESPN radio, and MLB baseball games during the summer months.

Do you have to pay extra for "premium" stuff like MLB ballgames, etc?

Lastly, which one is going to win the satalite radio war? Or is the technology to hear both at once right around the corner?

Thanks in advance!

To answer a few of your questions there is not an extra charge for MLB games. They are part of the subscription price with XM. If you want MLB you definetly want XM like Unassisted said they are the only ones that carry MLB. Even if the merger goes through XM will continue to carry MLB.

I really have never had a technial or coverage issue with my XM radios. XM411.com is a website that has a store where you can get some good deals on XM radios. Other than a lot of stores like Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart carry them but this website has some of the best deals you will find and they ship really fast. You can also order from XMRADIO.com

Just make sure you get a unit with a car kit to plug into your car. You may want something like the Inno which is a portable unit that also lets you record XM programming.

As far as which of the services will survive it is kind of hard to tell what the effect will be in the merger does or does not go through. We should have an answer on that merge I believe by the end of the year. If the merger does go through supposedly they are working on radios to receive both services.

So hopefully that answers some questions if you have any more about XM let me know.

Ltlabner
10-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the answers. If MLB is only on XM then it makes the decision much easier.

I'm thinking I might go with the Audiovox Xpress. It's inexpensive, but comes with a car mounting kit, extention antenna and remote control. That's pretty cool, because I'll likely mount the unit in some hidden away area to avoid attention and I'll need the antenna. The remote will be handy, I guess. It also has an aux out and in.

http://www.xmradio.com/images/existing/shop/ShopRefresh/plugandplay/xpress/xpress_1_lg.jpg

I'll likely get something (whatever I decide on) at Best Buy. I know I can save a lot of money elsewhere, but I can redeam some hotel bonus points to pay for the system.

With the exception of XM over Sirius, I've not really made up my mind however. This unit just caught my eye.

MrsHammer
10-17-2007, 01:31 PM
My husband and I have been XM subscribers for a few years now, and we have always been satisfied. My original XM radio bit the dust a couple of months back, so I replaced it with the Audiovox Xpress unit that you have pictured above. So far, I have no complaints. I did have an issue with the car cradle that I received being defective, but I was able to return it and get a replacement that works fine. You will most likely have to use the SureConnect wiring, so make sure that your vehicle has either the FM antenna built into your front or back window or an externally mounted antenna that is not retractible or has an unusual design. If that is the case, then you may have to use other connection methods in your car (such as hard wired to your car radio). If you want more details, I would suggest visiting www.xmfan.com Most of the users from xm411.com have moved on to that site now.

EDIT: After re-reading your original post, I understand now that you plan to use the aux input of your car radio....so, the SureConnect probably wouldn't be an issue.

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I have Sirius, and can't wait if they do the merger. I would love to have both MLB and NFL on the same service. I got it mostly for Howard Stern though.

Red in Chicago
10-18-2007, 09:24 PM
I have Sirius, and can't wait if they do the merger. I would love to have both MLB and NFL on the same service. I got it mostly for Howard Stern though.

Ditto...I bought Sirius just for Howard, but am really hoping for the merger for MLB. That would really make the monthly subscription worth while.

WMR
10-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Ditto...I bought Sirius just for Howard, but am really hoping for the merger for MLB. That would really make the monthly subscription worth while.

Yep, me too RiC.

freestyle55
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Sirius has all of the NFL games, lots of College Football, College Basketball, NBA, European Socccer, as well as Howard Stern, Maxim Radio...Been a subscriber for the past 2 years, would get it even if I switched cars...

Now when the merge and get baseball, I'd never listen to local radio again...

goreds2
06-11-2008, 02:52 PM
If anyone lives near a Meijer store, the ones in my area seem to have satellite radio devices on clearance.

http://www.meijer.com/custserv/store_locator.jsp

RBA
06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I have had XM the last few years. I recently got a new truck and it came with 1 year free Sirius. XM is far and above Sirius as far as programming.

redsfan1966
06-11-2008, 10:35 PM
XM is the better of the two---between me and the wife we have both---XM has a better lineup and a cleaner menu (bundling of like channels together)--the only thing I turn to Sirius for is Stern...

Yachtzee
06-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I haven't had Sirius, but the biggest complaint I hear from friends who have it is that Sirius has reception problems. I haven't had many problems with XM in that regard, and have even been able to pick up XM in covered parking decks, so long as the deck was open on the sides.

KronoRed
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM
If anyone lives near a Meijer store, the ones in my area seem to have satellite radio devices on clearance.

http://www.meijer.com/custserv/store_locator.jsp

Yep finally took the plunge when I found a receiver for 20 bucks at Meijer, XM of course.

Unassisted
06-12-2008, 02:16 AM

http://www.meijer.com/custserv/store_locator.jspI've seen them clearanced at WalMart lately, too. It'd be a bad time to pay full price for a satellite radio. Dual-system models will be all the rage once the merger finishes jumping through regulatory hoops.

PedroBourbon
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I prefer Sirius. It won't matter what you choose after the merger, but since MLB is a priority, go with XM.

EddieMilner
06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I have both Sirius and XM (Sirius for my car, XM on the family boat).
Sirius (in my opinion) has better programming. I find the music channels meet my preferences better than XM. Especially Left of Center, it may be the greatest music station ever created. Also, I am a Howard fan. And I can't live without Howard on the way to work.

I have XM, because there is nothing better on a hot Saturday in August than listening to the Reds and drinking a cold beer on a boat. And it works great for that. XM doesn't have both the home and away radio broadcast for baseball games (I don't understand why), so you will be listening to someone else rather than Marty (which some view as a benefit). Also, listening to Dibble's afternoon baseball show is really good.

So if you want it for baseball - go XM. If you want it for programming - I'd go with Sirius. But that is just my only opinion.

On another note, I think the length of time for the merger is the most ridiculous political bs to happen to this country. It shows how broke our political system is, when they can approve oil company mergers in less than a month but take over a year for a merger of two companies that are hemorrhaging money. Sorry, rant over.

RedsBaron
06-12-2008, 07:44 PM
I bought a new car in February that came with 3 free months of XM; I liked it well enough that I kept it after the 3 months were up.

RBA
06-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Also, if you are far from the WLW signal, XM carries WLW on channel 173 (minus the games). So you get great Reds coverage on XM. The games are on different channels and you don't always get the Reds broadcasters.

KronoRed
06-12-2008, 08:09 PM
The games are on different channels and you don't always get the Reds broadcasters.

I've found that to be a mega plus, MrsK will listen to the Reds with me when they are on the road now :lol:

IslandRed
06-13-2008, 01:46 AM
I've found that to be a mega plus, MrsK will listen to the Reds with me when they are on the road now :lol:

Regardless of people's opinions about our broadcasters, hearing the game called by some of the other greats around the league can be a real treat.

goreds2
06-14-2008, 12:29 AM
XM doesn't have both the home and away radio broadcast for baseball games (I don't understand why),

BANDWIDTH my friend. (I hate it also.)

LoganBuck
02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
My mother got a new car that has XM. She wants to get a portable player as well, because she likes it so much. What advice to you guys have about that? Any things to look for or watch out for?

OldRightHander
02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
My mother got a new car that has XM. She wants to get a portable player as well, because she likes it so much. What advice to you guys have about that? Any things to look for or watch out for?

I have the xm2go and I like it. I have it in the vehicle and then I have a home kit to hook it up in the house when I'm home. It charges when it's on the cradle so you can unhook it and plug headphones into it if you're out walking about.

goreds2
02-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Do you mean a portable that records? I have the older MyFi XM2GO receiver (actually tow of them). They are hard to find now. I have heard the XM INNO is a great portable. Here are some great deals on radios.

http://www.myradiostore.com/

bucksfan
02-26-2009, 04:13 PM
We initially got "hooked" on XM when it came as a free trial in my wife's new Honda. We even bought a home unit. Then they took away our far-and-away favorite station (X-country) and the DJs we hear now on some of the stations (especially our former favorite) are ridiculous. And now they are saying we will no longer be able to listen free on-line in conjunction with our single subscription (which was one of the selling points to us originally).

We cancelled our 2nd unit. We'll probably keep the car subscription since it is still better than our normal OTA radio, but we have changed from enthralled to borderline disenchanted since the merger.

mth123
02-27-2009, 06:21 AM
I love XM for the baseball content (most of the music you get on there can be found over the air) and prefer any baseball content to going without (though Dibble and Kennedy have spurred me to turn to music on the drive home many times). Not sure if its just me, but the baseball channel has really taken a dive since the merger. They've filled the air with new hosts who seem to think that New York is the only place that has a team. The other guys could be lame, but the information was superior and much more balanced. Now we have three or four guys who are all obvious New York guys (especially on the week-end) and the entire day is filled with nothing but Yankee's talk. Even when its not about the Yankee's the discussion gets back around to it. I thought the old hosts were mediocre, but deliver me from Casey Stern, Jody McDonald and Ed Randall.

What happened to Buck Martinez? Joe Castellano and Holden Kushner can both get a little annoying, but they seem to be the only ones with a somewhat informed and objective opinion on what's going on these days. I do like Minors and Majors on Saturday morning, but they cut it to one hour so Ed Randall can get more time. Yuck.

bucksfan
02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
I love XM for the baseball content (most of the music you get on there can be found over the air) ....

I have not found a lot of the XM-type music on normal OTA radio, but I agree it certainly it is available on many many streamed internet radio stations. That is the other reason for cancelling our home XM subscription. Since I got my Squeezebox Duet up and running, we can play any of thousands of streamed stations through our home stereo via a simple handheld remote. It is really sweet. Nothing like listeing to some folk station from Prague to change things up a bit. :D

Unfortunately I don't get the "sports benefit" of XM as it is in my wife's car, so rarely would I force baseball talk on her in her vehicle. And we get 700 for Reds games anyways so I'm good there. There are still good stations on XM but elimination of X-country and some of the other stuff previously mentioned makes it certain I won't have more than the one subscription unless something changes drastically.

wolfboy
02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
We initially got "hooked" on XM when it came as a free trial in my wife's new Honda. We even bought a home unit. Then they took away our far-and-away favorite station (X-country) and the DJs we hear now on some of the stations (especially our former favorite) are ridiculous. And now they are saying we will no longer be able to listen free on-line in conjunction with our single subscription (which was one of the selling points to us originally).

We cancelled our 2nd unit. We'll probably keep the car subscription since it is still better than our normal OTA radio, but we have changed from enthralled to borderline disenchanted since the merger.

We're in the exact same boat. We loved XM when we first bought it (car unit). Later, we added the home unit. Since the station merge, I can't stand it. The DJs are obnoxious, they play the same songs over and over (can't I get that OTA?), and the playlists are unoriginal.

We also canceled the home unit. We've hung on to the car unit since it's still nice for road trips. If they decide to get aggressive with their rates, it will be an easy decision to dump the car unit as well.

Sea Ray
02-27-2009, 09:11 PM
What kind of trouble is XM/Sirius in these days? Their stock price is about 14 cents a share. You can buy a thousand shares for a little over 100 bucks.

KronoRed
02-27-2009, 09:46 PM
They are likely to be bought up by either DirecTV or Dish in the not too distant future, very cheaply.

George Anderson
03-07-2009, 01:55 PM
XM is no longer carrying WLW.

http://700wlw.com/main.html

Unassisted
03-07-2009, 06:46 PM
XM is no longer carrying WLW.

http://700wlw.com/main.html
This really hurts!

Between this and the changes to my favorite music channels since the merger, I'm finding it harder to justify sending this company more money. :thumbdown

George Anderson
03-07-2009, 09:18 PM
This really hurts!

Between this and the changes to my favorite music channels since the merger, I'm finding it harder to justify sending this company more money. :thumbdown

Its tough for me because while I am in Indianapolis and usually can get good reception all around Indy for WLW but for some reason I cannot pick up WLW from my home. I am thinking it may have to do with the altitude where I live so thats why XM is a must in my house. I still can get the Reds games on XM but no more WLW. I may look into wifi radio.

BCubb2003
03-07-2009, 11:11 PM
I am thinking it may have to do with the altitude where I live so thats why XM is a must in my house.

I've been to Indiana and I don't remember it having any altitude ...

George Anderson
03-07-2009, 11:21 PM
I've been to Indiana and I don't remember it having any altitude ...

I guess I live in a hole which gives me bad reception.

Unassisted
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I may look into wifi radio.

I have a wifi radio and WLW (along with most stations owned by Clear Channel) doesn't work on it. :(

For home use and music, IMO the wifi radio is definitely a better option than XM.

Yachtzee
03-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I had to give up XM because of finances before the changes. I've been really missing it, but it sounds like they've made so many changes I might not recognize it. I notices they took off Fred, Ethel, Lucy and Fungus, which were my favorites. Is it really worth signing up again, or has Sirius destroyed the XM side of things?

George Anderson
03-08-2009, 12:36 PM
I have a wifi radio and WLW (along with most stations owned by Clear Channel) doesn't work on it. :(

Can you pick up reds games on wifi?

What wifi do you recommend?

redsfanfalcon
03-08-2009, 01:33 PM

Couldn't you subscribe to the mlb radio package and get it through your wifi radio? I am not sure (not familiar with wifi radio) but it could be something looking in to.

paintmered
03-08-2009, 01:39 PM
I had to give up XM because of finances before the changes. I've been really missing it, but it sounds like they've made so many changes I might not recognize it. I notices they took off Fred, Ethel, Lucy and Fungus, which were my favorites. Is it really worth signing up again, or has Sirius destroyed the XM side of things?

The music converted to Sirius programming. I was hopelessly addicted to Ethel and really missed it after the conversion since Alt Nation played more mainstream stuff. A few weeks after the conversion, Alt Nation shifted their programming and now they are an Ethel clone.

George Anderson
03-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Couldn't you subscribe to the mlb radio package and get it through your wifi radio? I am not sure (not familiar with wifi radio) but it could be something looking in to.

That is what I am hoping to do.

But I have next to no knowledge on wifi radio so I wonder how hard it would be to turn from regular wifi radio to the MLB package.

Unassisted
03-08-2009, 07:39 PM

I got my radio in November, so I haven't had owned it during baseball season. I have read that it may be possible to listen to games if an affiliate forgets to shut off their stream during a game.

I have the Grace Wireless Internet Radio ITC-IR-1000. Grace just introduced 5 new models (http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/internet-radios-c-2.html).

http://www.gracedigitalaudio.com/grace-wireless-internet-radio-itcir1000-p-11.html

It works through the Reciva web site. Reciva supplies the infrastructure and maintains the directory of streams. There are other manufacturers whose radios use Reciva, but Grace was the first brand sold in the US.

Couldn't you subscribe to the mlb radio package and get it through your wifi radio? I am not sure (not familiar with wifi radio) but it could be something looking in to.I have read in the Reciva forum that this doesn't work. Knowing how the authentication process works for MLB radio and that there's no support for entering a username and password to listen to a stream, I'm sure that it wouldn't work.

goreds2
03-09-2009, 03:47 AM
Instead of getting a WiFi radio, stream WLW through the internet and use this in the house. You will plug the FM Transmitter into the PC speaker. You will then be able to tune any FM radio matching up to the FM transmitter. I have it. I am disappointed not having NO STATIC WLW in the truck any more though.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=fm+transmitter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8369282666750210988#ps-sellers

I placed this in another thread but thought it was appropiate here.

I did email this person at clear channel asking why this happened. It does not hurt to notify them of your displeasure. Let's have Sanda have a few emails when she arrives on Monday morning.

Radio
Sanda Coyle
Phone: 1-210-822-2828
Email: sandacoyle@clearchannel.com

http://www.clearchannel.com/Corporat...=1169&p=hidden

redsfan1966
03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
My XM subscription expires in April and I really am thinking about letting it lapse...especially with the loss of WLW and just the overall decline in XM and its programming lately, the only thing that makes me hesitate is the MLB coverage, and even that has went downhill lately...

westofyou
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
With Season Approaching, 9 Million Sirius Subs Unable to Listen to MLB

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3057:with-season-approaching-9-million-sirius-subs-unable-to-listen-to-mlb&catid=58:radio&Itemid=123

George Anderson
03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Instead of getting a WiFi radio, stream WLW through the internet and use this in the house. You will plug the FM Transmitter into the PC speaker. You will then be able to tune any FM radio matching up to the FM transmitter. I have it. I am disappointed not having NO STATIC WLW in the truck any more though.
]

I might be clueless on this but will this work since WLW in on AM??

Yachtzee
03-09-2009, 11:08 PM
With Season Approaching, 9 Million Sirius Subs Unable to Listen to MLB

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3057:with-season-approaching-9-million-sirius-subs-unable-to-listen-to-mlb&catid=58:radio&Itemid=123

For a media partner that seems to be hurting and on the verge of going under, you would think MLB would be doing anything it could to ensure that the partner survives the length of the agreement.

paintmered
03-09-2009, 11:10 PM
For a media partner that seems to be hurting and on the verge of going under, you would think MLB would be doing anything it could to ensure that the partner survives the length of the agreement.

The sports agreements didn't transfer with the merger. As an XM subscriber, I'd have to pay more to get NFL and NASCAR. Sirius subscribers have to pay more to get MLB.

Yachtzee
03-09-2009, 11:16 PM
The sports agreements didn't transfer with the merger. As an XM subscriber, I'd have to pay more to get NFL and NASCAR. Sirius subscribers have to pay more to get MLB.

Yes, but I think one of the reasons why NFL and NASCAR have allowed Sirius to make their products available on XM without additional fees might have to do with trying to keep satellite radio afloat. Unless SiriusXM can find a way to cut costs without losing some of its more enticing offerings, like pro sports, there may not be a SiriusXM in a few years.

jmcclain19
03-18-2009, 01:19 AM
I was a little sad that XM dumped WLW this week. It was nice to be able to listen to the pre & post game shows - although I could do without Tracy Jones and Paul Daugherty.

But they've revamped the MLB Home Plate Network in a good way - adding some interesting hosts and dumping some lazy ones.

The Music transfer over to Sirius has gone better than I expected too. The only thing I miss is pre-transfer XM had two 90s Alt Rock stations and now they have one, but one is better than zero.

redsfan1966
03-18-2009, 11:25 PM
MLB on XM has really declined in quality recently.....I have noticed during the Spring Training game coverage that the starts of games are missed by long commercial breaks and portions of games are blocked out by XM promos..just sloppy. Plus, I think XM isnt even airing all games that are available....the Home Plate channel (175) has really slipped since the departure of Charlie Steiner.

Unassisted
03-19-2009, 10:08 AM
One of the founders of Sirius is now saying that satellite radio is doomed (http://techdirt.com/articles/20090318/1349544173.shtml). Competition from Internet radio will eventually swamp it.

Yachtzee
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
One of the founders of Sirius is now saying that satellite radio is doomed (http://techdirt.com/articles/20090318/1349544173.shtml). Competition from Internet radio will eventually swamp it.

What I don't understand is why SiriusXM is so intent on promoting its content rather than what it's true selling point would be, the ability to receive clear radio signals anywhere. If they could also add more channels dedicated to local traffic, I think they'd have a stronger selling point, at least for those who do a lot of driving. If the question is content, then they can't beat people downloading what they want from the internet. They need to promote the fact that you can't get internet radio in the car (not without a high-priced wireless account).

Unassisted
03-19-2009, 01:20 PM
They need to promote the fact that you can't get internet radio in the car (not without a high-priced wireless account).

IMO, they know better than to promote that because it's only a matter of time before they're competing with Internet radio in the mobile space, too. I expect that inexpensive mobile Internet radio will be one of the uses for the vacated TV channel frequencies after the Digital TV transition is complete.

Sea Ray
03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
Maybe one of the reasons satellite radio is hurting is their decision to overpay folks like Howard Stern. They didn't think $10mill was enough; they had to give him a couple hundred mill. That reeks of Wall Street level stupidity

Yachtzee
03-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Maybe one of the reasons satellite radio is hurting is their decision to overpay folks like Howard Stern. They didn't think $10mill was enough; they had to give him a couple hundred mill. That reeks of Wall Street level stupidity

That is true. If I were a Sirius shareholder, I'd wonder how Stern's relationship with Karmazin might have played into him sweetening the pot to that degree.

paintmered
03-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Most of that was paid in stock, not cash.

hebroncougar
01-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Just wondering how many of you subscribe to XM. Originally I did because I'm such a big baseball fan, but I'll be honest with you. The sports talk radio choices in Cincy are so lacking, that find myself listening to XM year round now.

bucksfan2
01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I have sirius. I got it because I got 6 months fee with a new car purchase. I like it and I agree Cincinnati radio is awful.

GADawg
01-26-2010, 11:07 AM
my car radio is locked on 175...probably should get it in the house but I probably need to stay married THIS time. I love Dibble's show though I have to say Jody Mcdonald has the voice for print media. I also like to listen to Jim Duquette but despise Scott Graham...if Graham had an evening show it would make for a great drinking game to down one every time he says "you know". I like to listen to Jimbo too for some reason...he seems pretty harmless as a broadcaster I guess 'cause he can't hurt anyone there though I do wonder how long it will be before he talks XM into hiring Wily Mo and Ears.

reds1869
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I used to have it but couldn't justify keeping it just for MLB--especially since the "sports only package" at the time didn't include any play-by-play. 175 is a great channel but other than that I can do without.

cumberlandreds
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
I have XM. I got it for the baseball and college sports,mainly UK games. I really like some of the old music too. The 60's,70's and 80's channels is what I will listen to. I don't listen to sports talk much anymore. They do have a few channels of that type of thing though.

redsfan1966
01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I have really become very disappointed with XM. The choices, especially talk wise, have been watered down and other than the MLB package, I would probably get rid of it.

BCubb2003
01-26-2010, 10:59 PM
I bought a lifetime deal early on and have kept it ever since. All I have to do is breathe in and out.

Jpup
01-26-2010, 11:11 PM
I've had XM for about 5 years and can't imagine not having it.

wolfboy
01-27-2010, 05:15 PM
I have really become very disappointed with XM. The choices, especially talk wise, have been watered down and other than the MLB package, I would probably get rid of it.

I canceled mine the other day. I stream internet radio on my phone instead.

Yachtzee
01-27-2010, 11:14 PM
I used to have XM in my car, dumped it for cost reasons, and then got it in my wife's car when they offered a deal of 5 mos. for $20. I'd say the biggest change I've noticed is with the alt-rock music stations. My favorite channels of old were Fred, Ethel, Lucy, Fungus and XMU. While Alt-Nation is pretty good, I miss hearing the Smiths, Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus and others on Fred, and I don't think the new XM even has a purely punk station. The other thing I'm not a fan of is that they have DJs now. Shut up and play music.

Javy Pornstache
01-28-2010, 12:38 AM
The other thing I'm not a fan of is that they have DJs now. Shut up and play music.

This really hurts, Yachtzee. Some of us are losers that have got to give our voices exercise cuz no one will listen to us in person :D

WMR
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
I have Sirius with the Best of XM added. Love it as a service, use it almost every day. It makes terrestrial radio unlistenable.

RBA
01-28-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm getting rid of XM and started streaming music/talk stations on my phone.

Sea Ray
01-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Local sportstalk in Cincinnati has pretty much been thrown to the wayside in favor of national syndicated shows. I was skeptical at first but now I see why. These national guys are so much more skilled than the local "talent". For example Mike Greenberg on Mike & Mike in the Morning is very articulate and never says "um" or "you know". They also have a staff of insiders to talk to and therefore do not have to take calls from idiot fans. The less calls from fans the better for any show.

Jim Rome is usually good for the first half hour but then it starts to drag. By his third hour he's really struggling for content and has to resort to "blowing up" callers and patting himself on the back for how "classic" his interview was...

bucksfan2
01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Local sportstalk in Cincinnati has pretty much been thrown to the wayside in favor of national syndicated shows. I was skeptical at first but now I see why. These national guys are so much more skilled than the local "talent". For example Mike Greenberg on Mike & Mike in the Morning is very articulate and never says "um" or "you know". They also have a staff of insiders to talk to and therefore do not have to take calls from idiot fans. The less calls from fans the better for any show.

Jim Rome is usually good for the first half hour but then it starts to drag. By his third hour he's really struggling for content and has to resort to "blowing up" callers and patting himself on the back for how "classic" his interview was...

I think clear channel made a bad decision about a year or so ago. They decided to take the local morning show off the air and syndicate it FoxSports Radio which I have found to be a very west coast which doesn't work in Cincinnati. I think the decision was made based upon poor ratings without looking deeper into the numbers. The Reds were coming off a bad season, the Bengals were awful, UC basketball was bad, Xavier was the only impressive sports team in this area really doesn't have a voice on the radio.

IMO a local 1530 radio station in the morning would have been a hit this year. Nothing is better than listening to local talk radio in the morning after a Bengals win. Instead we are stuck with limited local sports talk.

wolfboy
01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I used to have XM in my car, dumped it for cost reasons, and then got it in my wife's car when they offered a deal of 5 mos. for $20. I'd say the biggest change I've noticed is with the alt-rock music stations. My favorite channels of old were Fred, Ethel, Lucy, Fungus and XMU. While Alt-Nation is pretty good, I miss hearing the Smiths, Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, Bauhaus and others on Fred, and I don't think the new XM even has a purely punk station. The other thing I'm not a fan of is that they have DJs now. Shut up and play music.

This is the exact reason I got rid of XM. I think I would have dumped it even if I weren't able to stream radio over my phone.

Yachtzee
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
This really hurts, Yachtzee. Some of us are losers that have got to give our voices exercise cuz no one will listen to us in person :D

Sorry, Javy. No offense, but it seems like many DJs don't understand why people listen to a particular station. I'm listening for the music, not the DJ. I don't want the DJ talking over the music or going on about what they ate for lunch today and that it's giving them the toots. My two biggest complaints about Cleveland radio are that 1) the stations here have too many DJs who think they're more important than the music; and 2) the program directors for most stations up here lack any kind of imagination and end up using the same playlists for years on end, or at least until the station gets bought out and undergoes a format change.

The reason I fell in love with XM to start was that it was so different from what I had to deal with listening to Cleveland radio. I could jump to one station and listen to great new music or jump to another to hear some classic rock or indie music from the '80s and '90s or punk or whatever. And if I wanted to hear talk, I could switch to 175 or Opie and Anthony. Now it seems like they've mishmashed all the formats together and added that annoying Madison to half the channels.

goreds2
01-29-2010, 09:42 AM

I have had XM for over 5 years and love it. Here is a very good sports talk channel. (XM144 - Mad Dog Radio)

http://www.xmradio.com/maddogradio

goreds2
03-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Today on SiriusXM (Sirius 209 - XM89)

Reds Preview:

Cactus League - Live from Arizona
Hosts: Casey Stern & Jim Bowden
Sun., Mar. 18 Cincinnati Reds 1 - 4pm ET

2012 Spring Training Tour
Did you hear our team is on the road for the 30 Teams in 30 Days Spring Training Tour? The tour, which runs from Mar. 1 through Mar. 30, features interviews with players and coaches and much more heading into the 2012 MLB season.

http://www.siriusxm.com/mlbnetworkradio?p=1283874425129