PDA

View Full Version : Bad restaurant conversions

RBA
10-17-2007, 12:55 AM
http://www.notfoolinganybody.com/index.html

harangatang
10-17-2007, 01:05 AM
I've seen several old Donato's pizzas turned into interesting things such as HR Block and an emergency dental center.

Caveat Emperor
10-17-2007, 01:43 AM
The sad thing is, I've lived in enough cities that I recognize about 10 of these as places I've seen before.

MrCinatit
10-17-2007, 07:17 AM
We had a Chinese restaurant move into a Ponderosa - the move across the street to an old McDonalds.
Then there was the Pizza Hut that became a Check into Cash. "Would you like extra pepperoni with that extra-obscene interest rate?"

nate
10-17-2007, 07:44 AM
I always loved the "Jons" conversions of "Vons" when I lived in CA.

The "Thai Town Express" with giant hot dog on top is another classic LA icon.

"I'll have a foot-long with mee krob and lemon grass, please!"

RedsFan75
10-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Here in London, there is a great Chinese buffet, that's in this gorgeous old style building that looks like a stainless neon covered expanded old style diner... Yes it used to be a Johnny Rockets.

Unassisted
10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
The most surprising thing about that site to me is the number of former Taco Bell locations. I haven't been in too many parts of the country that don't have an abundance of thriving Taco Bell stores. It's just surprising that so many TBs have closed.

In 10-20 years, we'll probably see obviously-former Starbucks locations at a corner near you. Anyone up for some Tarbuck Pizza? :laugh:

gonelong
10-17-2007, 10:35 AM
The most surprising thing about that site to me is the number of former Taco Bell locations. I haven't been in too many parts of the country that don't have an abundance of thriving Taco Bell stores. It's just surprising that so many TBs have closed.

They don't seem to close so much as move down the street.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 Taco Bells that have moved less than a 1/2 mile.

GL

Johnny Footstool
10-17-2007, 12:22 PM
I'm currently studying for my Master Donut degree. I'm up to Glazed Crullers.

Caveat Emperor
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Toledo is a great city for conversions -- they've got a Taco Bell that converted to a cigarette store, a white castle that converted to a baskin robbins, a wendys that turned into a hot dog stand, a pondarosa that became a sports bar, a dunkin donuts that became 'boston donuts' and at least half a dozen more that I'm forgetting.

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 12:49 PM
There is a bdubs in Milford that usto be a pizza hut. It's a really cool place.

Falls City Beer
10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Toledo is a great city for conversions -- they've got a Taco Bell that converted to a cigarette store, a white castle that converted to a baskin robbins, a wendys that turned into a hot dog stand, a pondarosa that became a sports bar, a dunkin donuts that became 'boston donuts' and at least half a dozen more that I'm forgetting.

And how.

A former colleague and friend of mine teaches at U. Toledo, and when I visited him last summer, I went to the "boston donuts" you're talking about. You could still taste the "dunkin" on the "boston."

I will say this in defense of Toledo restaurants, they have a kick-arse Mexican place there called El Tipico. Delicious--maybe the best Mexican I've had in the middle of the country.

Strikes Out Looking
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
They don't seem to close so much as move down the street.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 Taco Bells that have moved less than a 1/2 mile.

GL

I have an acquaintance whose wife used to work for Taco Bell's corporate office. When a rather busy Taco Bell closed, I asked him about it and he told me that they usually do it because of rents (if they don't own the building) and it has nothing to do with the amount of business the store has.

Roy Tucker
10-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm just glad they are recycling buildings. All too often, strips malls are built up, overpopulated, and then abandoned for somewhere else more alluring and what's-happening-now. Leaving an empty strip mall behind that is a chronic problem for the locals to figure out what to do with it.

Locally, we're getting a Wal-Mart converted to a JC Penney which is an interesting switch.

LoganBuck
10-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I know of several Kentucky Fried Chickens that have become Discount Tobaccos, and one that became a Shanghai Grill.

If you know what to look for you can typically spot all the old Rax restaurants in their modern day incarnations. Typically they are either Mexican restaurants, or AW/Long John Silvers. The only surviving Rax that I know of is in Bellfontaine.

Sabo Fan
10-17-2007, 07:11 PM
If you know what to look for you can typically spot all the old Rax restaurants in their modern day incarnations. Typically they are either Mexican restaurants, or AW/Long John Silvers. The only surviving Rax that I know of is in Bellfontaine.

At least one of the old Rax buildings in Springfield is now a Fazoli's. I think the other one was for a time but I guess they decided Springfield is a one Fazoli's town.

Was up in Bellefontaine a few months ago and noticed that Rax. Am I mistaken or did they just recently build it? When I saw it the building looked new but I hadn't heard about any new Rax locations opening up in years. London was one of the few left and it went out a couple years ago.

KronoRed
10-17-2007, 07:27 PM
A former Rax near here has been a Wendys, a clothing shop, and a nail salon, now I think it's back to being a clothing shop

Caveat Emperor
10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
If you know what to look for you can typically spot all the old Rax restaurants in their modern day incarnations.

There's an old Rax in Milford on 28 that had an expansion built onto it and was transformed into a car wash. Milford also has an old KFC that is now posing as a used car lot.

Over on Beechmont, there's a former Checkers (in front of the bowling alley) that was a store that sold "Beepers for Cheap" and then became a used car lot.

LoganBuck
10-17-2007, 09:34 PM
At least one of the old Rax buildings in Springfield is now a Fazoli's. I think the other one was for a time but I guess they decided Springfield is a one Fazoli's town.

Was up in Bellefontaine a few months ago and noticed that Rax. Am I mistaken or did they just recently build it? When I saw it the building looked new but I hadn't heard about any new Rax locations opening up in years. London was one of the few left and it went out a couple years ago.

Not for sure on that, I only noticed it about the time the McDonald's was redone. Nothing like a BBC though. GAC can probably tell you better than I can. I almost never go that way. When I go to Bellfontaine, I come in on 47 from the West. I only go near the Rax if I need gas on the way to Columbus, when traveling on 33.

Falls City Beer
10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
There's an old Rax in Milford on 28 that had an expansion built onto it and was transformed into a car wash. Milford also has an old KFC that is now posing as a used car lot.

Over on Beechmont, there's a former Checkers (in front of the bowling alley) that was a store that sold "Beepers for Cheap" and then became a used car lot.

I've had food poisoning only once in my life. Pretty lucky, eh?

You guessed it: Rax.

westofyou
10-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Milford also has an old KFC that is now posing as a used car lot.

Love that one.

George Anderson
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
The only surviving Rax that I know of is in Bellfontaine.

There was a Rax in Anderson, Indiana as of last December anyway.

Hoosier Red
10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
There is a bdubs in Milford that usto be a pizza hut. It's a really cool place.

Is that on 28 just east of St. Andrews?

That's been like 100 different things since Pizza Hut. I'm glad it turned into a respectable outfit.

Caveat Emperor
10-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Is that on 28 just east of St. Andrews?

The same.

When I was actually a student at St. Andrews they used to walk us there for lunch if you did something -- perfect attendance, I think. It was a Pizza Hut at that point.

There's also a Friendly a block or so up 28 that was turned into some family restaurant and then into a pizza place. Now its just sitting vacant.

KronoRed
10-18-2007, 01:25 AM

Wasn't it a Rallys?

Also on Beechmont is the old Ihop with awful paint on the roof that is now a dive bar, just down the street from the new Ihop

RBA
10-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Rallys and Checkers are the same. Most Rallys are on the west coast and Checkers on the East Coast. The same with Carl's Jr and Hardees.

dabvu2498
10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Rallys and Checkers are the same. Most Rallys are on the west coast and Checkers on the East Coast. The same with Carl's Jr and Hardees.

I thought it was a north/south thing. Checkers in the south, Rally's further north. I know we had Checkers in Nashvegas, but Rally's here.

westofyou
10-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally separate companies serving different geographic areas, Checkers and Rally's Hamburgers, Inc. merged in August 1999. The joint company houses its headquarters in Tampa, Florida. Checkers was founded in 1986 in Mobile, Alabama, and went public in 1991. Rally's was founded in Louisville, Kentucky in 1985, with its first location in Jeffersonville, Indiana. From 1996 to 1999, Rally's was owned by CKE Restaurants, parent company of Carl's Jr..

Currently, the company operates more than 800 Checkers and Rally's restaurants in 28 states and the District of Columbia.

Highlifeman21
10-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Of the ones on this tour, I've seen the former Planet Hollywood in Chicago, the former Long John Silver's in Ann Arbor, the former White Castle in Brooklyn, the former Friendly's in Shrewbury NJ, the former Long John Silver's in Niles, the former Dairy Queen in Dover DE, and I lived behind Lee's in Columbus wishing the whole time it was still an IHOP, I've actually eaten at Marino's in Columbus (not bad really), and I think that's all I care to look at for now.

Damn, that gave me a headache.

redsfan1966
10-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks RBA--that was a cool and hilarious website...

Caveat Emperor
10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
the former Long John Silver's in Ann Arbor,

I've eaten there.

Not bad Thai food, all things considered.

Yachtzee
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
We have a couple of former Red Barns that were converted. One is a cleaners and the other is a real estate office.

Highlifeman21
10-19-2007, 07:46 AM
I've eaten there.

Not bad Thai food, all things considered.

We thought about eating there after a Navy ROTC Flag Football game. But the thought of trying to eat Thai food after playing football just didn't seem like the best of ideas.

SandyD
10-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I thought it was a north/south thing. Checkers in the south, Rally's further north. I know we had Checkers in Nashvegas, but Rally's here.

We have Rally's. And I believe we have had Checkers in the past. Don't think so now.

In New Orleans.

Caveat Emperor
10-19-2007, 01:11 PM
We have Rally's. And I believe we have had Checkers in the past. Don't think so now.

In New Orleans.

As a freshman, during Mardi Gras, I think I lived on Rallys (specifically the one over by Earhart near I-10) for an entire week. They did a "2 for $3" Double Bacon Cheddar Burgers promotion. I was beyond broke -- I'd eat one burger for lunch, save the next burger for dinner.

traderumor
10-19-2007, 01:21 PM
My town has now shut down two McDonalds in favor of new building and location. The old ones both became car lots, which have only slightly shorter lives and turnover than locally owned restaurants.

I must say, each time I pop over here, I think the title is "Bad restaurant conversations." Now that might be an interesting thread.

LoganBuck
10-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I must say, each time I pop over here, I think the title is "Bad restaurant conversations." Now that might be an interesting thread.

Yep