PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Prospectus quick look into the future

texasdave
10-17-2007, 01:04 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=607

The good folks at Baseball Prospectus have taken a quick glance into the future of baseball. They have posted a tentative list of the players they feel will be the most valuable over the next six years (2008-2013). The list will eventually be a top 50 list.

Check out who they have pencilled in at number 20. :beerme:

This will change. Probably a lot. Keep in mind that the evaluation criteria is a 6-year window, which in most cases means 2008-2013.

1. Albert Pujols (1)
2. David Wright (8)
3. Hanley Ramirez (6)
4. Miguel Cabrera (4)
5. Joe Mauer (2)
6. Johan Santana (3)
7. Grady Sizemore (5)
8. Alex Rodriguez (10)
9. Justin Upton (HM)
10. Jose Reyes (7)
11. Jake Peavy (13)
12. C.C. Sabathia (17)
13. Curtis Granderson (HM)
14. Erik Bedard (–)
15. Chase Utley (22)
16. Brian McCann (9)
17. Ryan Zimmerman (11)
18. Evan Longoria (HM)
19. Joba Chamberlain (–)
20. Jay Bruce (–)

In May of this year he wasn't even Honorable Mention (HM). Quite a rise for Jay Bruce. I am going to speculate that Adam Dunn, working in his peak seasons, is also in the Top 50 when it comes out.

TheWalls
10-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Eva Longoria is much higher than #18 in my book! ;{)

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 01:52 PM
I would have put Chamberlain higher. He is probably going to be the best reliever/closer in baseball for years to come.

stevekun
10-17-2007, 01:53 PM
WOW...I wonder when we will see Bruce in the majors

muethibp
10-17-2007, 02:19 PM
I would have put Chamberlain higher. He is probably going to be the best reliever/closer in baseball for years to come.

Except he is going to be in the rotation next year.

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Except he is going to be in the rotation next year.I really hope not. I think he may become the next closer in New York. I think he is already better than Rivera. We'll see with weather Rivera comes back or not.:)

redsfanmia
10-17-2007, 08:22 PM
No offense but I lost all respect for baseball prospectus when Will Caroll said the Johnny Bench would not even be playing in the Majors if he was of age now.

GoReds33
10-17-2007, 09:33 PM
No offense but I lost all respect for baseball prospectus when Will Caroll said the Johnny Bench would not even be playing in the Majors if he was of age now.I never heard that. I can't blame you there. Johnny Bench is the greatest catcher of all time. I say that with a little bias of course. He is second only to Mike Piazza, and I only say that because Piazza has better offensive numbers.:)

Degenerate39
10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
I never heard that. I can't blame you there. Johnny Bench is the greatest catcher of all time. I say that with a little bias of course. He is second only to Mike Piazza, and I only say that because Piazza has better offensive numbers.:)

It helps that Piazza has DHed a little bit

hebroncougar
10-18-2007, 07:59 AM
I never heard that. I can't blame you there. Johnny Bench is the greatest catcher of all time. I say that with a little bias of course. He is second only to Mike Piazza, and I only say that because Piazza has better offensive numbers.:)

Piazza wasn't even a real catcher. He doesn't hold a candle to Bench.

muethibp
10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I really hope not. I think he may become the next closer in New York. I think he is already better than Rivera. We'll see with weather Rivera comes back or
not.:)

One of the Steinbrenner boys said Joba was definitely heading to the rotation. Things can change, of course, but that's the way he is headed.

GoReds33
10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
One of the Steinbrenner boys said Joba was definitely heading to the rotation. Things can change, of course, but that's the way he is headed.That's what the Sox said about Papelbon too.:)

redsfanmia
10-20-2007, 06:44 PM

Bench is the best of all time and if he had not had lung surgery his numbers would have been much better.

GoReds33
10-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Bench is the best of all time and if he had not had lung surgery his numbers would have been much better.I know. Piazza was just the first other catcher I think of when I think about very good catchers. Bench was the best ever though.:)

Bigredfan#1
10-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Except he is going to be in the rotation next year.

True and how many pitchers come up and blow everyone away and then either get hurt or just do not produce. I have a really hard time with his name being on the list but that is just me!

Bigredfan#1
10-27-2007, 12:36 PM
on the list, not even HM. I find it funny that Bailey is not on the list either.