PDA

View Full Version : Time to be spooky - review my latest Halloween acquisitions.

TeamCasey
10-17-2007, 05:30 PM
So, I got a deal on some movies and was in a Halloweenie mood.

Any personal reviews on:

Disturbia
Perfect Stranger
Fracture
Premonition
The Messengers
Number 23
Hannibal Rising
or
Zodiac?

WMR
10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Zodiac is the best of that bunch. Very scary thriller, and also very well-acted.

Number 23 was silly, IMO.

Premonition, with Sandra Bullock, IIRC, was horrible.

Disturbia, Perfect Stranger, and Hannibal Rising were all really good.

Fracture is probably the 2nd best movie on that list. Great movie.

Joseph
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Disturbia is a remake, the Hitchcock version was better by far.

The Messengers has a few decent scares and scenes, but all in all it didn't impress me.

I'm a horror junkie though, so I've got a bit of snob in me about some borderline films.

Falls City Beer
10-17-2007, 06:20 PM
So, I got a deal on some movies and was in a Halloweenie mood.

Any personal reviews on:

Disturbia
Perfect Stranger
Fracture
Premonition
The Messengers
Number 23
Hannibal Rising
or
Zodiac?

Zodiac isn't exactly a horror movie, but it is truly brilliant. It's more a story of obsession than it is of terror or suspense. However, the obsession is on the part of the author who spends the bulk of his young adulthood attempting to track down the still-uncaught Zodiac killer.

I think it's one of the more intelligent, subtle movies that I've seen in ages--it goes to the heart of human obsession, in the way great stories like The Heart of Darkness do.

I really can't say enough good things about that movie. It's a crying bloody shame that the press didn't sing that movie's praises to the heavens.

Casey
10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I thought Disturbia and Number 23 were awful. I hung with 23 till the end, but stopped watching Disturbia after about an hour. The Hitchcock version is without a doubt the better of the two.
I liked Fracture and The Messengers a lot. There were a couple of times I jumped out of my seat during Messengers.

camisadelgolf
10-18-2007, 04:48 AM
I love Zodiac. I saw only two other films on the list, and I didn't like either of them. Wes Craven did a non-horror movie called Red Eye, and I think it's very good. And if you like that, I'd also recommend The Lookout.

WMR
10-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt is forging a very interesting career for himself. The Lookout was very good, and Brick is another one of the best thriller's that I've seen in a long time.