PDA

View Full Version : Lame Ticket Stories

Ltlabner
10-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Was driving south of Louisville the other day and was in the middle of three lanes. I was doing 65mph in a 65mph zone (I drive a bit like a grandma) and came up on a driver doing about 55ish. Needless to say I got a little closer than normal because I wasn't expecting him to be going that slow and fankly I just sorta misjudged the distance/timing. I let off the gas and began to deccelerate.

So I glanced to the left lane, which was open, but there was a police officer running radar in the median. I didn't want to swing over real quick into the left lane (1) I guess I thought it would look suspicious...of what I don't really know (2) I'd be getting into the left lane about the same time I'd be passing the officer who was just into the median. It didn't strike me as safe. I certinally didn't want to get on the brakes with trafic somewhat close behind me, so that wasn't an option either.

So I glanced to the right lane but a car was blocking me in that lane. By this time I had slowed enough that I was just starting to back off the other driver. I continued on for a bit and then noticed the flashing red, white and blue in my mirror. After thinking, "I wonder what idiot just got himself pulled over" I quickly realized I was the idiot in question.

The officer was very polite and effecient, but the long and short is I got a ticket for not maintaining sufficient distance to the slowpoke in front of me. Now, I was in the wrong and I'll take my medicine, but it was a situation where I felt I was taking the safest corse of action. The ticket says "TACT - ticketing agressive cars and trucks". Please. How bout a program to bust people who drive significantly less than the speed limit and cause a hazzard?

Here's the part that has frosted me. The ticket amount? $20. Not too bad. The court costs? $130. So I have a $150 ticket of which a measly $20 is the actual fine. Assinine. I breifly considered fighting it, but I was in the wrong, and the court date is a Friday night at 7:00pm. I'm not going to drive 4 hours round trip to possibly save $150.

Anyway, partly crying in my beer, partly a thread for other lame ticket stories.

camisadelgolf
10-19-2007, 04:25 AM
This is non-ticket story, but there's a small amount of relevancy. First, some background . . .

As a teenager, I would, of course, do stupid pranks. One day, a friend and I went to White Castle, and I put a note on the drive-thru speaker that claimed White Castle was having problems with the speakers that required the customers to yell as loudly as they could into the microphone. My friend and I just sat in the car and laughed hysterically as we listened to a few people yell absurdly loudly at the White Castle people. Then, I saw a sheriff driving into the parking lot, and I thought, "Oh, s***! Someone must have reported me," so I walked to the speaker to remove the note. As soon as I got out of the car, the sheriff drove in front of me and blocked my way. He asked me to give him the paper, and I volunteered, "Yeah, my friend and I had just gone to the drive-thru, and they seemed to have problems hearing us, so I thought I would do them a favor and put that note up. I'm actually going inside right now to tell them I did it." I started to walk away, and he was like, "Not so fast. Do you think I was born yesterday? I've been watching you." Before he could finish, I just said, "I'm sorry. I won't do it again." Fortunately, nothing happened after that. That is, until three days later . . .

I was driving south on Montgomery Road while a car behind me was tailing me. This annoyed me a little bit, plus I'm kind of a jerk, so I slowed down to 15 MPH in a 40 MPH zone during rush hour traffic. When you do this on Montgomery Road, it's a big deal. I proceeded to maintain my speed (or lack thereof) for almost five miles with the same car behind me the entire time. Meanwhile, a huge line of traffic were behind me, honking like crazy.

Eventually, my lane split into two lanes, and the car behind me got in the other lane and drove away. Right as I was about to go back to my normal speed, there was a sheriff behind me, pulling me over. I pulled over, and it turned out to be the same sheriff who was at White Castle. He asked me why I was driving so slowly, and I told him I was just trying to be safe. He then told me I had traffic backed up for a mile and a half and that he could write me a ticket for obstructing traffic. I told him I understood but that I was just trying to be safe, and that's what I'd tell the judge. He let me off with another warning.

I apologize for the length. I have a ton of stories like this. I've never gotten a ticket I didn't deserve, but I've not gotten about five or six that I should have. I'm notoriously lucky. Anytime I get a ticket, I go to court over it, no matter what, and I always win.

RedsFan75
10-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Traveling on Ohio Pike toward Bethel just before you get to East Fork lake, A line traffic, moving at a decent clip. I'm not going slow, I'm right there with them, probably about 5 over the limit which is what I usually run.. Car approaches from behing going much faster, swings out passes me then slips back into the lane I'm in and starts to pull away. We top a hill when the Car in front of me slams his brakes. I'm far enough back that I don't have any trouble slowing down, but I don't slam mine as there's a few cars right behind me. So as I slow, I end up slowing hard but come about a car length to the car in front of me, watching him, so I don't have to brake even harder.

I see the reason the guy slowed and it was a State Trooper coming the other way. Guy had been speeding and knew he was caught, cause in the rear-view we saw the trooper turn and hit his lights.... SO the speeder pulls over onto the shoulder, and I go on my way thinking nothing of it..... UNTIL... the trooper pulls me over for following too close.... I tried to explain it but he would have nothing of it! As the speeder pulled out from the shoulder and drove away I could see them in the car laughing and pointing at me! Can you say furious!!!

TeamSelig
10-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I was following two cars once. We were all going about 65-70 in a 55. For some reason I thought it would be okay to go "with the flow" of traffic.

The officer pulled over all three of us lol... I knew he had me, but he went around me and I did a little cheer.... until he pointed for me to pull over too.

macro
10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Was driving south of Louisville the other day...

Was it I-65 between downtown Louisville and the Gene Snyder Freeway (I-265)? I haven't seen it as much lately, but they used to patrol that stretch heavily using unmarked cars.

Ltlabner
10-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Was it I-65 between downtown Louisville and the Gene Snyder Freeway (I-265)? I haven't seen it as much lately, but they used to patrol that stretch heavily using unmarked cars.

That's exactly where I got nabbed.

There was about 3 or 4 cops working the area...with people pulled over.

Ltlabner
10-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Well, I got the ticket last Wednesday. I got home from my trip last Friday. In Friday's mail I got a letter from an attorney in Louisville. Upon seeing the envelope I had to wonder what sort of trouble I was in now.

It was a letter saying that Mr.___________ Esq had noticed my citation and wanted to offer his legal services to help me "protect my rights". :rolleyes:

I wonder how noble and rightously indigant Mr. __________ Esq will be when he finds out that my fine is $150. Methinks Mr. Bloodsucker will somehow forget to return my calls once he realizes there's no money in it for him.

Sorry, I know we have some legal professionals on this board, but it's crap like this that gives all the good lawyers a bad name.

texasdave
10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Well, I got the ticket last Wednesday. I got home from my trip last Friday. In Friday's mail I got a letter from an attorney in Louisville. Upon seeing the envelope I had to wonder what sort of trouble I was in now.

It was a letter saying that Mr.___________ Esq had noticed my citation and wanted to offer his legal services to help me "protect my rights". :rolleyes:

I wonder how noble and rightously indigant Mr. __________ Esq will be when he finds out that my fine is $150. Methinks Mr. Bloodsucker will somehow forget to return my calls once he realizes there's no money in it for him.

Sorry, I know we have some legal professionals on this board, but it's crap like this that gives all the good lawyers a bad name.

Since the "protection of rights" is such an important issue, you should write him back and ask him if he would consider offering his legal servics pro bono. :)

Johnny Footstool
10-22-2007, 11:56 AM

A $150 ticket can end up costing thousands in insurance coverage. Some people would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars extra in order to avoid losing their insurance.

Ltlabner
10-22-2007, 12:05 PM
A $150 ticket can end up costing thousands in insurance coverage. Some people would be willing to spend a few hundred dollars extra in order to avoid losing their insurance.

I suppose. I highly doubt I'll be dropped over one ticket in the last 7 years, especially one with a fine of $20 (the rest was court costs remember). It can't hurt to have both autos and our home with the same company.

And if my rates double, or they threaten to drop me, I think I'll go to the insurance agent I've done business with since the late 1980's instead of the no-name lawyer in Louisville.

dabvu2498
10-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I suppose. I highly doubt I'll be dropped over one ticket in the last 7 years, especially one with a fine of $20 (the rest was court costs remember). It can't hurt to have both autos and our home with the same company.

And if my rates double, or they threaten to drop me, I think I'll go to the insurance agent I've done business with since the late 1980's instead of the no-name lawyer in Louisville.

If you had a CDL and/or were on your company's insurance, you might think differently.

Lawyer took a shot in the dark. So he swung and missed in your case. Cost him one envelope, one piece of paper and 41 cents. It'd be worth it if he gets a 500-1000 dollar client.

Ltlabner
10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
If you had a CDL and/or were on your company's insurance, you might think differently.

You are right. However I was in neither of those situations, so it really doesn't apply.

Yea, maybe I was a little harsh on the lawyer. I guess I expect more from a masters degree or higher level business person than a junk mail solicitation that is no different than the hundreds of credit card offers, or the flyer anouncing a carpet sale that show up in my mail box.

But he was fishing for business. I can appreciate that.

dabvu2498
10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Yea, maybe I was a little harsh on the lawyer. I guess I expect more from a masters degree or higher level business person than a junk mail solicitation that is no different than the hundreds of credit card offers, or the flyer anouncing a carpet sale that show up in my mail box.

But he was fishing for business. I can appreciate that.

Yup. If you're starting out in that field it's all about the hustle.

What would you think of a DUI attorney posting his business card on the bulletin boards of every bar in town? :D

Caveat Emperor
10-22-2007, 04:41 PM

There's actually a very specific code of conduct lawyers have to adhere to when sending unsolicited advertisments to potential clients.

Since I work for the government, I promptly forgot what exactly that code was the minute I stepped out of the bar exam. ;)

Ltlabner
10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Since I work for the government, I promptly forgot what exactly that code was the minute I stepped out of the bar exam. ;)

:laugh: