PDA

View Full Version : Merged: RedsFest 2007

mroby85
10-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Hey, i've heard a lot about redsfest, but i've never been there and had some questions about it, i hope you all can help with.

1- i was wondering if you have to pay for autographs after you pay to get in or do those come with the price of admission?

2- do they provide 8x10's and stuff or can you bring your own?

3- do you pretty much get everyones autograph that you want? or does it get limited off quite a bit?

4- any other stuff i should know about?

thanks a lot
michael

macro
10-20-2007, 10:26 AM
This thread from last year may answer some questions...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50869

...and this one includes pictures that may give you a better feel for what it's like...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52947

GoReds33
10-20-2007, 02:06 PM
A lot of the autographs are kids only. I took mostly my own stuff, but the Fujutec players on the rise had a paper that you could get autographed.

scounts22
10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey, i've heard a lot about redsfest, but i've never been there and had some questions about it, i hope you all can help with.

1- i was wondering if you have to pay for autographs after you pay to get in or do those come with the price of admission?

2- do they provide 8x10's and stuff or can you bring your own?

3- do you pretty much get everyones autograph that you want? or does it get limited off quite a bit?

4- any other stuff i should know about?

thanks a lot
michael

1. No extra cost for autographs.

2. No, they don't provide items to be autographed. You can bring your own, or there are always several vendors there selling everything from pictures, cards, jerseys, baseballs, etc.

3. Autographs are tricky. When you walk in the door (I believe this is how they did it last year), they hand you a schedule of events for the weekend that lists who will be signing and where, as well as everything else going on. If you want a shot at getting a bigger player, you need to come with a strategy. While I don't usually go for the autographs, (I like getting my picture taken with the players) I would recommend looking at the schedule and planning ahead. Sometimes two players you want might be scheduled at the same time, but if you're there both days, you can get one on one day and the other the next. That is, as long as the players will be there both days. Sometimes players can only make one of the two days and that info is usually listed in the guide.

4. Check out some of the events that happen on the main stage. They have Q & A sessions with players, coaches, and administration, as well as well as many other events. The kids press conference with the players is always very entertaining! Also, if you have kids, there's lots of stuff for them to do too! It's a lot of fun and a great opportuninty to interact with the players.

This link is from Reds.com and has lots of info about Redsfest too.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/redsfest.jsp

Hope that helps! :)

fadetoblack2880
10-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Prepare to stand and wait on the players that are signing. I didn't even attempt it last year.

otto
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
2. No, they don't provide items to be autographed. You can bring your own, or there are always several vendors there selling everything from pictures, cards, jerseys, baseballs, etc.

There is an autograph card provided with the free program.

GoReds33
10-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Prepare to stand and wait on the players that are signing. I didn't even attempt it last year.I stood in the Brandon Claussen line for a while. Then when I realized that the line for Phillips autograph, which stopped allowing people to go in, was right nest to the Claussen line. I cut under the divider thing, and got a Phillips autograph. That made my day.:)

mroby85
10-22-2007, 04:44 PM
haha, what are your odds of getting a guy like phillips there?

timmario66
10-22-2007, 05:01 PM

He was there last year.

GoReds33
10-22-2007, 05:16 PM
haha, what are your odds of getting a guy like phillips there?They only let like 300-500 people in the lines. I would recommend that you take a child of grandchild. Then you get to go in the lines with them. They have tons of kids only autographs.:)

redsfan1966
10-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Let me just add that RedsFest is a great event and well worth the cost and trip. I enjoyed it immensely and will definitely be back this year.

Ahhhorsepoo
10-23-2007, 01:33 PM
scheduled appearances soo far...

Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips, David Ross, Tom Shearn, Marcus McBeth,
Norris Hopper, Josh Hamilton, Ryan Hanigan, Jared Burton,
Brad Salmon, Todd Coffey, Bobby Livingston, Marty Brennaman, Thom Brennaman, Chris Welsh and Joe Nuxhall.

BEETTLEBUG
10-23-2007, 01:44 PM
Where did you get that List?

Ahhhorsepoo
10-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Where did you get that List?

Redsfest website.. under info for 2007 redsfest...

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-23-2007, 03:44 PM

He was very nice too. I actually got him to sign a picture for me and my sons tiny baseball jersey. I didn't even have to wain in line for it, he kinda started his own autograph session on the side after he was done doing the pictures. He actually stayed there until he had signed something for everybody. I have to say that I have seen some stuff on here about it being a good idea to try to trade BP, being that his value is so high and he is going to get exspensive, but IMO he is exactly the kind of guy I would like to see this team build around.

GoReds33
10-23-2007, 04:27 PM
I also have to say the nicest man I got to meet at Redsfest was Rob Dibble. He was really nice in signing any and all things you wanted signed. A guy in front of me had about 20 cards, and he signed all of them. He also waited until everybody who was in line got their autograph. He was late for his flight I think. He said he was late for something. That was a treat.

I really hope to get my pics with Hamilton and Burton this year. Hopefully Brantley will be there too. He's awesome. Tell it like it is.

Ahhhorsepoo
10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I am thinking based on cincinnati sports we will either sign b-phill to a weak as crap contract, or we will let him walk.. we are dumb in cincy..

ED44
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
For anyone that's been to Redsfest, what's the odds of me actually getting to meet ED? I saw where he is suppose to be there and would love the opportunity to meet my favorite player of all time and was wondering the process? Will he only be there for an hour and take as many fans that can get through line? Or do they stay around and try to meet as many as they can throughout the day? Any info would be appreciated...and thanks in advance.

BEETTLEBUG
11-30-2007, 12:38 AM
They are there for signings and photos so they will be there for awhile.

ED44
11-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Great news and thanks for the reply!!!

rotnoid
11-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I went last year. The lines are usually pretty long, but move pretty quickly. IIRC, players are usually available for about 2 hours. Check the schedule before you go. You don't want to be next in line for ED and have him switch out for Mike Stanton.

ED44
11-30-2007, 11:12 AM
I went last year. The lines are usually pretty long, but move pretty quickly. IIRC, players are usually available for about 2 hours. Check the schedule before you go. You don't want to be next in line for ED and have him switch out for Mike Stanton.

Do they give the schedule out that morning? Or is it available on reds.com? I would be pretty ticked to stand in line to get to meet Stanton...man, that would suck. Thanks for the nightmares!

BEETTLEBUG
11-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes they give it out first thing so you can choose where you want to go.

scounts22
11-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Do they give the schedule out that morning? Or is it available on reds.com? I would be pretty ticked to stand in line to get to meet Stanton...man, that would suck. Thanks for the nightmares!

Actually, do they give you a schedule? They used to, but I thought last year they posted who was going to be at each cite an hour before they were going to be there to sign or for photos.

BEETTLEBUG
11-30-2007, 02:53 PM
BOTH

ED44
11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I know the fees to get in the gate, but what is the normal charge for pics/autos once you get inside?

redsfan1966
11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
No charge once inside....

ED44
11-30-2007, 09:55 PM
No charge once inside....

Wow...that's awesome. I was expecting to pay for all autos after getting in as well.

redsfan1966
11-30-2007, 10:00 PM
i will make one addendum....i do think your guy (Eric Davis) was charging for a book and autographs at a special table set up for his charity...but generally the autos/pics at the redsfest lines were free...

GoReds33
11-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Last year Browning was there, and he didn't have a line at all. I got a few things signed. He is a really nice guy. You had to either buy his book, or make a donation to Matthew something ministries. I gave like ten dollars to the church. I talked with him for a solid five minutes.

Watch out at the minor league tables. Usually there was a huge line for somebody good, like Bruce, and then there was no line for people like Valaika. I got Valaika, and then a couple of Jay Bruce signatures.

Last year I went home with a bunch of good signings. Here are some:
Brandon Phillips
Jay Bruce(2)
Rob Dibble
Ryan Freel
and your favorite, Eric Davis(2)

ED44
11-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the info guys...much appreciated. I am hoping to get ED to sign my authentic '90 WS jersey so I can frame it. I was really hoping Hamilton was going to be there, but I saw where his name was pulled due to a family function. Other than that, I am just anxious to make my way up to check it out.

Do most take things in to have them signed or is it more generated towards buying stuff inside and then having it signed?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all the info guys...much appreciated. I am hoping to get ED to sign my authentic '90 WS jersey so I can frame it. I was really hoping Hamilton was going to be there, but I saw where his name was pulled due to a family function. Other than that, I am just anxious to make my way up to check it out.

Do most take things in to have them signed or is it more generated towards buying stuff inside and then having it signed?Alot of people brought things to have signed but there is also a nice set-up of things to purchase. If I remember correctly the prices were not too bad on the glossy pictures, but some of the other stuff was pretty high. An idea I had last year worked pretty well and my son will thank me for it later. I took an infant Reds Jersey to get signed, the players didn't mind signing my pictures baseballs and the jersey once I told them it was my two year olds. Thought it would be a neat thing for him to have later and it's small enough that I had it nicely framed pretty cheap.

scounts22
12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Here's a link to a thread from about a month or so ago with a lot of information about Redsfest. It's a great time, I can't wait until next weekend!

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63122&highlight=redsfest

gedred69
12-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Okay, I got this season ticket holder pass, and I think on Saturday there is a line for season ticket holders only. Does anybody know if that is truly a help or is it just a facade of crap to suck me in for a season ticket again?

crazybob60
12-02-2007, 01:28 AM
Well I shall be there again this year after missing last years. I will try to get my Faces of Riverfront poster signed by the only two guys appearing that I haven't gotten. I still need about 30 guys or so to sign it, but Ronnie Oester and Jeff Brantley will be there and I will get them. Hopefully their lines aren't too long.

Was Brantley's line that long last year or does anybody remember? Thoughts on how long Ronnie Oester's line will be?

Both lines will probably be average is what I think, but who knows.

Also, as stated in other posts, there are a lot of kids only autograph lines and I can bring one of my friends' kid with me if so be it, because I know of one player that has done a kids only in the past and this player showed up unexpectedly, at least from the best of my recollection he did. Didn't Griffey, Jr. do that one offseason? I could be totally wrong and please correct me if I am, but I think he did show up one year for an hour or two and just signed and had photos with kids, right? And if so, what do you all think the chances of him showing up this go around and doing the same thing?

scounts22
12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Also, as stated in other posts, there are a lot of kids only autograph lines and I can bring one of my friends' kid with me if so be it, because I know of one player that has done a kids only in the past and this player showed up unexpectedly, at least from the best of my recollection he did. Didn't Griffey, Jr. do that one offseason? I could be totally wrong and please correct me if I am, but I think he did show up one year for an hour or two and just signed and had photos with kids, right? And if so, what do you all think the chances of him showing up this go around and doing the same thing?

Yes, he did. It was Friday night, and you're right, I think he was only there for an hour or two signing autographs for kids. I have no idea what the chances of him showing up this year are, but I would say it could happen. Or not. :dunno::D

robmadden1
12-03-2007, 12:15 PM
We got tickets to reds fest this weekend for free for being season ticket holder. We dont have to wait in the lines for autogtraphes like the regular people do We will have are own speacial location. I think this goes for all season ticket holders with full packages, the full season i guess.

gedred69
12-03-2007, 08:47 PM
We got tickets to reds fest this weekend for free for being season ticket holder. We dont have to wait in the lines for autogtraphes like the regular people do We will have are own speacial location. I think this goes for all season ticket holders with full packages, the full season i guess.

Thanks for the info. I got a free Season Ticket pass as well. But I only had a partial season ticket. Maybe the Reds screwed up, because my nephew had a partial ticket, but didn't get one.

otto
12-04-2007, 01:17 AM
Was Brantley's line that long last year or does anybody remember?

Brantley wasn't there last year.

redsfan1966
12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Are any of ya going to Redsfest?? Just curious, since I have noticed a seeming lack of interest in Redsfest this year. Dont know if its because its the second year of the "new and improved" Redsfest or because of Joe passing away...but it just seems like the excitement isnt there this year. I will be there both days and hope it lives up to last years.

Shaknb8k
12-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Just got to Cincinnati from WV. Ill be there both days. Most of the day tomorrow and probably till around 4 or so on saturday.

Bip Roberts
12-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I thought about going just for the dvd you get at the door :laugh:

fadetoblack2880
12-06-2007, 10:57 PM
I'll be there Saturday.

Bip Roberts
12-06-2007, 11:11 PM
any idea if you can buy tickets at the gate?

GoGoWhiteSox
12-06-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm going on Friday.:)

I was also wondering the same thing Bip Roberts above me was.

fadetoblack2880
12-06-2007, 11:40 PM
any idea if you can buy tickets at the gate?

I did last year. I would assume this year would be the same. At least I hope...

Bip Roberts
12-06-2007, 11:42 PM
I did last year. I would assume this year would be the same. At least I hope...

any idea if the price is changed?

ED44
12-07-2007, 12:02 AM
I will be there Saturday...

mroby85
12-07-2007, 12:12 AM
any idea if the price is changed?

i think its 20 for a 2 day pass, and 15 for one day. They also sell them at meijer's. I'll be there friday and saturday.

If you have the season ticket only line pass, does that basically guarantee you to get to a guy like phillips? I was also wondering if you can get a photo with the player, during the signing, or if it's just a quick run through type thing?

thanks for any help

lo ryder
12-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Im there Sat. at the start...looking forward to it.

I(heart)Freel
12-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Two different opportunities, two different lines/time slots.

One for autographs only. Another for photos only. Check the schedule to know which is which. Some players will do one but not the other.

Pretty efficient. Keeps the lines moving.

GoGoWhiteSox
12-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Does anybody know if they actually sell tickets at the door?

Bip Roberts
12-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Does anybody know if they actually sell tickets at the door?

like 4 post up he said they did last year

GoGoWhiteSox
12-07-2007, 01:05 AM
like 4 post up he said they did last year

Oops, sorry, didn't see that.

BEETTLEBUG
12-07-2007, 01:23 AM
I will be there Saturday. How would we know if any of us who is who there?

AmarilloRed
12-07-2007, 01:55 AM
I live in Texas, so I won't be going.

tripleaaaron
12-07-2007, 02:32 AM
I will be there both days for sure, was also wondering what someone touched on before, what does the season ticket "fast pass" for autographs exactly guarantee?

robmadden1
12-07-2007, 03:48 AM
I am going to Redsfest both days. The first 10,000 people to enter into Redsfest on Friday and then agian the fiurst 10,000 on Saturday get a free Reds backpack as you enter it was mented in the package with my free season ticket holders 2 day pass.

crazybob60
12-07-2007, 04:13 AM
I will be there with my Faces of Riverfront SGA poster and I am also taking along with me a team ball from 1990 that I already have signed from Tom Browning, Tim Layana (he has since passed on in a tragic car), Hal Morris, and Norm Charlton. So I am just looking to add to both of those autograph items there!

robmadden1
12-07-2007, 04:19 AM
I am taking my game use baseball, Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang bobble heads to get signed. I might take my team photo from last season to get signed too.

crazybob60
12-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Sorry if this was reported elsewhere but frankly I could not it and I don't know where else I would file this under, but I was just curious as to the schedule times for players to sign autographs and who is going to there on which day....please help!

otto
12-07-2007, 06:46 AM
The DVD is really cool too. Seriously.

Screaming Mimes (my band) plays at 6:00 on Saturday to close out the event. Hope to see some Zoners there!

http://www.myspace.com/screamingmimes

Jefferson24
12-07-2007, 07:07 AM
I just got up and will be leaving within the hour. 6.5 hour drive from here (western Illinois). I'll be there both days.

crazybob60
12-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Brantley wasn't there last year.

I thought for sure that he was, because I remember looking at the list for last year's participants and the only one there that I still needed on my poster (also, sorry for bringing the poster up so much, can you imagine what I will be like when I get it completely finished?) that was actually attending. Unless he cancelled at the last minute....because I bleieve that Brantley had just signed his broadcasting deal with the reds like a week or so prior to Redsfest 2006....but again, I could be totally, totally off base here, and no pun was attended there!

crazybob60
12-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Yes, he did. It was Friday night, and you're right, I think he was only there for an hour or two signing autographs for kids. I have no idea what the chances of him showing up this year are, but I would say it could happen. Or not. :dunno::D

I thought I remembered that. And it was the last year they did it I think before they went on that 2 year hiatus thing which sucked! Does anybody possibly know if Griffey happened to do the same thing last year or did he just not sdhow at all?

crazybob60
12-07-2007, 08:00 AM
I am taking my game use baseball, Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang bobble heads to get signed. I might take my team photo from last season to get signed too.

Do you think that they will have a team photo there for sale not only from the Reds but possibly from the Mino rLeague affiliates as well?

crazybob60
12-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Anybody? Or is the first time it will be made public is when you receive the schedule at the door? And do they give you a schedule for both Friday and Saturday when you walk in on Friday or is it just Friday for Friday and then Saturday for Saturday? Or does nobody know?

crazybob60
12-07-2007, 09:01 AM

Also, besides possibly Griffey, do you all think that there might be any surprise guests pop up this year at the last moment or anything, even non-marquee names...I know a few years back, Todd Benzinger was supposed to be there or at least he wasn't on the schedule and then he appeared and signed autographs. Was curious as to possibly Larkin showing up as well. He has been saying in the papers he wants a return to Cincinnati and I believe he delayed his trip to China I believe to work with the Olympic tream over there just so he could do his thing for being selected for the Reds Hall of Fame! Fingers crossed for a possibly Larkin sighting!

redsfan1966
12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Cool, looks like there is excitement for the 'fest afterall...I will be leaving around 10am from C-Bus....my wife called the reds hall of fame and they said tix will be sold at the door at the duke energy center. Have fun all! And Beetlebug, I kind of thought the same thing, but figured trying to get Zoners to meet could be the equivalent to herding cats...I tried last year when the Louisville Bats played the Clips here--not so successful. So I figured as I talk to fellow Reds fans to bring up Redzone.

GoReds33
12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I looked at the floor plan, and it showed a ticket booth on the outside of the closed off place. I will be there, likely both days. I will defenitly be there today. I plan on spending all day today getting Dunn and Harang's autographs.

GoReds33
12-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Anybody? Or is the first time it will be made public is when you receive the schedule at the door? And do they give you a schedule for both Friday and Saturday when you walk in on Friday or is it just Friday for Friday and then Saturday for Saturday? Or does nobody know?I believe they gave you a schedule for both days on Friday. I believe that's what they did last year.

Caveman Techie
12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I will actually be there working the booth for Great American on Friday night from 8:00pm to 9:00pm. Stop by I'll give anyone who mentions Redszone a free poster (just nevermind the fact that everyone gets em) just look for the big fat blonde guy. :)

bounty37h
12-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I am very envious of all of you that get to go this wekend-have a great time!!! I will be at a wedding again this year-but last year it was mine, so didnt fel like I was missing RF as much as I do this year......

Bip Roberts
12-07-2007, 06:56 PM
anyone want to sell me the dvd you get?

AmarilloRed
12-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Griffey at Redsfest

Ken Griffey Jr. Is a surprise guest at Redsfest.

posted by John Fay at 5:09 PM

GoReds33
12-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Griffey at Redsfest

Ken Griffey Jr. Is a surprise guest at Redsfest.

posted by John Fay at 5:09 PMHe only signed for people in his line though. I was in the door at 4:05, and his line was already full when I got there. He was signing at 4:30. He and Dunn signed at the same time. Also, Bailey signed tonight. I believe he was only supposed to be tomorrow. I didn't really like it though. The even was poorly managed. They had lines all over the place. There were huge lines right in the middle of the aisles. I ended up only getting a few autographs. I didn't get the good players. I ended up with McBeth, Keppinger, Dick Pole, Lopez, and Welsh. I bought a Manny Ramirez signed picture though.

ED44
12-07-2007, 11:40 PM
He only signed for people in his line though. I was in the door at 4:05, and his line was already full when I got there. He was signing at 4:30. He and Dunn signed at the same time. Also, Bailey signed tonight. I believe he was only supposed to be tomorrow. I didn't really like it though. The even was poorly managed. They had lines all over the place. There were huge lines right in the middle of the aisles. I ended up only getting a few autographs. I didn't get the good players. I ended up with McBeth, Keppinger, Dick Pole, Lopez, and Welsh. I bought a Manny Ramirez signed picture though.

Any chance you could tell me what time ED is suppose to be signing tomorrow if you have a schedule? Thanks in advance.

GoReds33
12-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Any chance you could tell me what time ED is suppose to be signing tomorrow if you have a schedule? Thanks in advance.Edwin isn't there. Sorry. I guess that Cincinnati is a bit too far for someone living in the Dominican. Gonzalez wasn't there either. He lives in that region too I believe.

AmarilloRed
12-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Here is a schedule:EVENT LISTING

(All events subject to change)

Toyota Main Stage

TODAY

4-4:45: Redsfest Friday Kick Off Show, featuring Freekbass

5-5:15: Reds Community Fund press conference to unveil 2008 Miracle League initiatives

5:15-5:30: Announcement of the 2007 Reds team awards

5:30-5:45: Introduction of new manager Dusty Baker and 2008 Reds players

5:45-6: Introduction of the Reds Hall of Fame Class of 2008

6-6:15: Tribute to Joe Nuxhall

6:30-7:30: Kids-only press conference with Reds players

8-10: Concert featuring Bronson Arroyo and special guests Noah Hunt & The All Stars

SATURDAY

11 a.m.-noon: Redsfest Saturday Kick Off Show, featuring the Pete Wagner Dixieland Band

Noon-1 p.m.: Reds Hot Stove Report with GM Wayne Krivsky and manager Dusty Baker

1-1:30: " Ask The Alumni," presented by Baseball Heaven

1:30-2:15: "Reds Idol" karaoke contest with celebrity Reds judges

If I were there, I would like to ask Krivsky a number of questions.

ED44
12-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Edwin isn't there. Sorry. I guess that Cincinnati is a bit too far for someone living in the Dominican. Gonzalez wasn't there either. He lives in that region too I believe.

I meant Eric Davis...my bad...

robmadden1
12-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Pics from RedsFest 2007: http://thep03.sytes.net/reds_gallery/?spgmGal=2007/RedsFest%202007

GoReds33
12-08-2007, 08:20 PM
I meant Eric Davis...my bad...Sorry. I didn't stay on last night. That was my mistake. I guess I should have read that more closely. I hope you got his autograph anyway.

ED44
12-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Sorry. I didn't stay on last night. That was my mistake. I guess I should have read that more closely. I hope you got his autograph anyway.

No problem...I did get his auto on my authentic '90 WS ED jersey...and a pic with him...so, my 1st Redsfest was a success. I was really impressed with the event. Although it could have been organized a little better, it won't stop be from going back next year...awesome experience.

crazybob60
12-09-2007, 04:36 AM
It was a blast and I was able to get Geronimo, Oester, and Brantley on the Faces of Riverfront poster and now only need 27 more out of the 68 which I think is tremendous. But the unannouced Griffey signing was awesome although I got there at a shade before 6 and missed it! Can you imagine how mad I was?!? I don't know if he did it on Saturday as I had to work so who knows (can anybody fill us in on whether Griffey was there on Saturdy or not and did he do any signing or was he just there????). I did stand within 2 feet of Griffey before he walked onstage to answer questions, but in his typical form, he was unresponsive even to little kids which is just flat out rude, but ah, you can't have em all. I wish during that question and answer session in which the young kids asked the questions (with Griffey, Jr., Freel, Belisle, Keppinger, and Ross up on stage and Thom Brennaman conducting it) that one of the kids would have asked Griffey, why don't you normal sign autographs? I just wonder what the response would have been? He probably would have deferred to Friday autograph session, huh? Griffey is still one of my favorite players, mind you, I just wish he would treat autograph seekers better, heck at least the ones that are kids, ya know? Ok, I shall get off of that soapbox now because it was a really fun evening for me!

I missed the Geronimo signing but got his when I was next to the stage, surprisingly because he signed mine and another fellas, but like 10 minutes later a gal asked him and he declined!!! So I didn't have to wait for Geronimo and then at the same time Brantley was sitting next to Chris Welsh talking (both Cesar and Jeff and Chris were all behind that little divider thing that fans weren't supposed to be behind but somehow I got behind it undetected, but I had just arrived so I didn't know any better and didn't know I wasn't supposed to be there, but somehow I got both Geronimo's and Brantley's signature before I was signaled by an event usher or whatever they were to get behind the railing type thing) and Brantley was pleasant and didn't seem to bothered to sign as well.

So I stood in line for Ron Oester and got his autograph on my Faces of Riverfront poster and also on a 1990 Cincinnati Reds ball. (Small story here, I had purchased this baseball in 1990 around August (the August date is a guess, I could be off on that, yet it was somewhere around that month as they had not yet reached the playoffs yet!) due to the fact that three Reds were going to be signing at the batting cage near here in Edgewood (its the one that is on Dixie Highway in front of that Krogers) and well it had gone unsigned besides the three on it for several years and also they signed in different color sharpies, for a ball over 17 years old, they are barely faded and in excellent shape. Those three Reds are Hal Morris, the late Tim Layana, and Stormin' Norman Charlton. I added Tom Browning's signature at a book signing of his last year. So now I am trying to add as many of the 1990 team to the ball as possible, but again, I didn't go out of my way during this years event to get any on it. (heck I probably could have gotten Billy Hatcher, although I didn't see him there, and Eric Davis, and well there were other too, I just can remember them right now, I just didn't go out of my way plus I was waaaay tired from work for some odd reason). So I saw that Todd Benzinger and Ronnie Oester were in the same line. Two birds, one stone with that one. I already have Benzinger signed on my poster but I needed Oester to sign my Faces of Riverfront poster, so Ronnie was nice enough to sign two things for me and Benzinger signed the ball and I had a nice conversation with Benzinger, as one of my close friends that I graduated with, is Benzinger's cousin.

I also had my pic taken with Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, and Chris Dickerson (Three of the nicest and courteous young men I have met!) all of them at the same time at a booth and they had their names at the bottom of the pic, the picture printed out, and a nice little cardboard black frame for it, for $5 to charity, so I splurged and it was done like 5 minutes before those three had to separate to go to other booths and they kept on ushering people away but I stuck around and got all three to sign the pic afterwards there with no wait, and boy it looks GREAT!!! I will try to possibly scan it and possible try to get it in here and well I guess then you all will know what I will finally look like as I haven't ever posted a pic of me in here yet and I am sure many of you have seen me around at various things and you will be like oh so that's who that is.

Anyways, I had a swell time. I think things could have been a tad bit better, like maybe a little bit bigger aisleways around where the people were wondering aimlessly around by the autograph booths and I like it a TON better when they announced who would be signing when and at what times like maybe as you get there or the day before the evening instead of just a one hour notice, and you don't necessarily need to know where they will be signing just when and what time. And if there is going to be a surprise guess such as Griffey, then just put like Surprise Guest in that slot if you release the times ahead of time. But again, beggars can't be choosers, huh? The Griffey thing was a tad of bum, but that is only because I didn't get the chance to get his autograph but I am sure jealous of the people that did and I even applaud Griffey for actually doing it, hopefully he will do it again sometime soon and not let that stupid baseball card contract I believe with Upper Deck hold him down, ya know? But regardless I had fun!

Now I only need 27 more players/managers on my Faces of Riverfront poster before it is completely! They are: Danny Jackson, Bob Boone, Bret Boone, Pedro Borbon, Clay Carroll, Norm Charlton, Kal Daniels, Rawly Eastwick, Ken Griffey, Jr., Davey Johnson, Ray Knight, Barry Larkin, Will McEnaney, Fred Norman, Paul O'Neill, Frank Pastore, Lou Piniella, Gary Redus, Ron Robinson, John Smiley, Eddie Taubensee, Scott Williamson, Dmitri Young, Nick Esasky, John Franco, Kevin Mitchell, and Cesar Cedeno. That is a considerable cutdown from the 68 I started with when I first received this I believe back in the summer/fall of 2002 I believe (it was the last season at Riverfront Stadium before they tore it down) and it was a Stadium Giveaway (similar you know to like a bobblehead giveaway or whatever). Is anybody else doing something similar to what I am with this poster and if so how successful have you been at it? Heck, this is totally off topic of this thread, I think I am going to start a new thread for this!!!!

Ok, I may have bore you enough, I will leave it at that....Overall, I would give this Redsfest a grade of a B+!

Mr.MojoRisin
12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
anyone want to sell me the dvd you get?

Ditto, wouldn't mind getting one myself.

redsfan1966
12-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Redsfest was once again a hit...obviously by the hordes of people I saw both days...However, I am not an autograph hound, so I probably approach RF a little differently than some. I enjoy hanging at the main stage and watching the programs. While I do enjoy the 'fest, I more than likely will skip next years....its the way I approached the old Redsfest--just so I didnt get bored by it--attend every other year. The only real complaint I have is that, while I understand everyone working has to deal with thousands, people seem "cold"--as if they really couldnt give a rats a-s if you were there or not. Maybe its just me.

I am drinking the kool-aid. While I wasnt a fan of the Dusty Baker hiring, I made sure to welcome him to Cincy. I also was impressed from what I heard from Brandon Phillips and Javier Valentin about the want to win a championship. Dusty just needs to work a little on his players names (Homer Bush?). Also, Bronson put on another good show Friday night--though I still cant get with having a sax solo during covers of Pearl Jam songs.

The tribute to the old lefthander was the highlight for me and definitely the reason to make the trek. It was very moving and I give Junior all the props in the world for making sure he was there and on the stage for it. It was mentioned during the weekend the tribute will probably be part of some DVD about Joe, most likely for his character education fund--that will be a must have for any Reds fan.

crazybob60
12-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Also, can I just say that I have a new found respect for David Ross as well. He was walking in between a photobooth and I guess going to his next station for autographs or whatever and I was standing on the side and said hey David what's up and went to shook his hand but he said he couldn't shake it because he had some type of goo all over his hands...I was like oh, and then was like well you have a great season and just ask him again how he has been doing (don't know why I asked again, but I did...and he said great, he then stopped turned around to face me even though the security guys were trying to get him along and said so how have you been? I just thought it was real cool he took time to stop and actually ask how I was...I know its something small but it just shows what kind of character he has. Class act.

redsfan1966
12-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I met David Ross at last years Redsfest with my wife for a photo and he was very cool. He had a horrible season last year--but I wish him the best. Let me also give out props to Marty and Thom-both great to the fans-and to of all people, Bill Cunningham. Bill left the stage after doing a "Baseball Heaven" segment and was very cordial to me and my wife as we asked for a photo. Seg Dennison also gets props for putting on the Santa gear and glad handing the fans.

GoReds33
12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Ditto, wouldn't mind getting one myself.I already watched it. I didn't think it was very good. Just has some highlights. Most of the hour and forth seven minutes was garbage.

tigh24
12-09-2007, 04:02 PM
I am only 20 and didnt get the chance to grow up in the Big Red Machine days or really enjoy the 90 World Series. I live in Virginiaso I dont really get to see as many games as I like but my dad and I make the trek as many times a year a possible. That being said I have never had the opportunity to get very close to the players but I was given that opportunity at my first Redsfest.

I loved it! Jay Bruce, Marty & Thom, Brantley, and Browning were enough to keep me a fan for life. The conversation that these guys were willing to have with you really made you feel as if they were reaching out to fans to get to know them. Kepp was a super nice guy as well.

I have seen and heard many things about players from the past and I am truly glad the attempt is there to bring these guys around the fans and back into the minds of Reds Fans as much as possible. Lee May is an outstanding individual. He really took time to connect with the fan as well. Many time he has to be asked to continue signing because he would get so carried away talking to the fans.

Overall the layout was a little messed up and the lines were very long but as a Reds fan that doesnt get to expierience this feeling very much, it truly was amazing!

LincolnLandReds
12-10-2007, 06:08 PM
OK, here is my take on Redsfest 2007. "A Blast as Usual". The Reds put on the best Winter fest of any team. We've done the Cubs and Cardinals ones since we live in that area and they are horrible and unfriendly. Reds fans rejoice at how way cool you have it. In St. Louis, you have to pay up to $100 bucks an autograph and $50 admission fee. The Reds do it totally for the fans.

Anyway, my son and I made our 3rd visit to Redsfest (2003, 2006 previous times) and it gets better and better. I've learned over the past few years how to deal with the place, and a lot of it is just pure luck. This year, Santa must of found us good because we decided to just start at autograph station A and work our way around and my son lucked out into the Griffey line. That made my son's nite right there and put him into orbit. What was even nicer about it was Griffey Jr. provided the baseballs. It was just a really great thing for my son since he has adored Mr. Griffey since he got brainwashed by me into being a Reds fans (no way I was going to let him be a Cardinals or Cubs fan, never).

Anyway, we made out really well. Friday nite we got Griffey Jr., Dunn, Leo Cardenas, Todd Benzinger, Ron Oester, Doug Flynn (remember him, he was signing at the Reds Heaven booth and was incredibly nice) and Matt Belisle. Saturday, we got Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Cesar Geronimo, Brad Salmon, McBeth, Jared Burton, Todd Coffey, Jeff Brantley and Jay Bruce. All super nice and had my boy flying high all night long and all the next day during a 5 hour drive back to Illinois. We also got to meet Mr. Catallini down by the wiffle ball fields, very nice man and wanted to make sure we had enjoyed ourselves.

Another cool thing was the guys dressed up in the 1869 Red Stocking uniforms. These guys are great, and Mr. Stonewall from the team was especially enjoyable to talk too. He really talked with my son, who is 12, about how great the game is and the effort to really enjoying playing the game. Also, Jeff Brantley was awesome with my son. My boy asked him how to throw a cutter and he took the time during the session to give a brief pitching lesson, but then told my son to forget everything he told him until he was 14 because he didn't want to hurt him arm. Jeff said come back and he will be glad to teach him everything there was to know about pitching. Just cool things to open the eyes up of a boy.

So in closing and if you are reading this, enjoy what Redsfest is because it will only get bigger and less opportunity to meet some of the players. But if that happens enjoy it anyway for everything else there is to do. What better way to spend a weekend in December than talking baseball, seeing some players, and being with 20,000 fellow Reds fans.

redsfan1966
12-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Wow, Lincolnland, that is high praise. I had always heard that the "Cubs Convention" was the pinnacle of winter baseball fests. What you said about the Cardinals deal is shocking to me. I figured the way Cards fans treat their team (fabulously) that the organization would be more accomodating. I have had a couple of days since Redsfest and have rethought some of my opinions. Especially after reading your post--I will admit being a little too tough in my comments of staff being "cold"--there were over 20,000--I imagine nerves can be tested. I do love Redsfest and now am even more appreciative of what we have as a Reds fan. Looking forward to the Winter Caravan...

scounts22
12-12-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm not going to add anything everyone here hasn't already said, but I'll add a link to my pictures!

http://community.webshots.com/album/561749271OkFDDd