PDA

View Full Version : New trends you are sick of

Pages : [1] 2

OldRightHander
10-20-2007, 10:28 PM
There are a few new trends that really get on my nerves. Maybe it's because my picture is in the dictionary next to the definition of "curmudgeon." Anyway, I have a tendency to get miffed by anything that becomes the new trendy thing and I will more often than not rebel against that thing. Here's my latest list.

1. Replacing S with Z. Maybe I'm just a spelling and grammar freak, but this one really gets me. It's boys, not boyz. The other day I was in the truck stop looking for some breakfast bars and I purposely didn't buy one because the label said Snack Barz.

2. There is a rather recent trend that I first noticed a couple years ago. Maybe it was being done before, but that's when I noticed it. It's these photos of people from slightly above with the person looking up at the camera. You're looking down from above on the person and because of the way the photo is taken you see the head bigger and the body getting smaller all the way down to the feet. The first time I saw it on a billboard I thought it was creative because it was different, but now it seems like everyone is using it. Ok, enough already. Can we just go back to conventional photos looking straight on at the subject?

3. Whatever the new catch phrase of the month happens to be. Right now I am sick of people being thrown under the bus.

4. Something that isn't exactly new anymore but still annoys me is putting "gate" on the end of anything that might be involved in some sort of a scandal. Maybe it's time to throw that one under the bus.

I have plenty others, and no doubt there will be some new one I notice tomorrow, but I really don't have time to list all of them here.

BoydsOfSummer
10-20-2007, 10:33 PM
The trend of extra off days in the playoffs bugs me.

OldRightHander
10-20-2007, 10:35 PM
The trend of extra off days in the playoffs bugs me.

I'm with you. :)

For that matter, the entire off season bugs me. There is baseball season and a few months of cold weather waiting for Opening Day.

UKFlounder
10-20-2007, 10:39 PM
4. Something that isn't exactly new anymore but still annoys me is putting "gate" on the end of anything that might be involved in some sort of a scandal. Maybe it's time to throw that one under the bus.

That one, plus putting "oholic" at the end of anything that might be describing an addiction. Not all scandals are WaterGATE and not all addictive items are alcOHOL.

The same thing with "phobia" or similar terms - it used to mean fear, but now if you dislike something you're a "(fill in the blank) aphobe"

SunDeck
10-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm sick of just about everything new.
This happens whenever I watch baseball in the post season.

MrCinatit
10-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Reality TV
Tim McCarver = he is a trend which had run its course 20 years ago, but keeps on going.

OldRightHander
10-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Reality TV
Tim McCarver = he is a trend which had run its course 20 years ago, but keeps on going.

I have the volume down on the tv and Jon Miller on XM.

OldRightHander
10-20-2007, 10:53 PM
wrong thread

Chip R
10-20-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm with you. :)

For that matter, the entire off season bugs me. There is baseball season and a few months of cold weather waiting for Opening Day.

I'm just waiting for you to tell kids to get off your lawn. ;)

RFS62
10-20-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm really sick of hearing "it is what it is"

Reds4Life
10-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Women wearing sun glasses the size of car rims, that cover their entire face.

jmcclain19
10-20-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm sick of people being famous just for being famous.

My wife had one of the hollywood shows (TMZ or Access Hollywood or the like) on when I came in the room last night and they were showing how a throng of reporters, photogs & cameramen were outside of a drivethru window recording what Britney was getting from the fast food joint.

Seriously folks - get a life.

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Everytime someone in the media when dealing with a gay related topic immediately says "Not that there's anything wrong with that"

The Baumer
10-21-2007, 02:32 AM
All those trends are at least 15 years old, some much older.

I'm pretty sure when Robert Ford asassinated Jesse James the gazette headline read "Ford Throws Legend Under the Bus".

WMR
10-21-2007, 02:38 AM

I'm on board with that one!

The girls wearing those sunglasses think they're Jackie O or something. :laugh:

10-21-2007, 03:46 AM
Politically liberal people who assume all conservatives are idiots and politically conservative people who assume all liberal people are idiots.

When did they start calling fiddles violins? I guess it depends on the size of your belt buckle.

MWM
10-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Jeans that ride so low behind the heel that they drag on the ground. Who the hell decided that this is fashionable? Does anyone thinks this really looks good? I've been a 30" inseam for years now, and now when I go to buy jeans, I can't find any that don't drag along the ground. And it's not easy finding 29" inseam jeans. Its looks ridiculous, and made my life more inconvenient.

Sports play by play guys who now think they have to "analyze" every minute detail of every game. They talk to the viewers like we know nothing about the game we're watching. It's especially annoying when they think they noticed something others won't notice and they go on and on about it trying to be "profound." Just call the game for goodness sake.

Heck, I could just say modern day sports "journalism" for that matter. It's terrible.

People who become famous for one reason or another who think we care what they think about world affairs. We don't care.

People who mask political commentary in a "comedy" act. Jon Stewart was great. Let him do it. Stop trying to copy cat him.

Talk radio.

Contrarian formatted TV shows or segments. You have a Democrat on one side, a reublican on the other. They sit and just scream back and forth at each other. they do this format on ESPN as well where you get two people to argue (literally) each side of a debate.

Carrie Underwood. Cute girl from the country who can sing a little. I get it. Enough already. Has anyone ever reached the point of overexposre this quickly?

This new age sound in popular music where the singer swallows their words so much I can't understand a word their saying. Just sing, darnit!

The Sports Guy writing about nothing but the Patriots, anymore. What happened. I used to look forward to reading his columns, now I check in occasionally. When he's not writing about the Pats or Red Sox, he's writing about the NBA. I miss the old Sports Guy.

Those new Wendy's commercials.

Yachtzee
10-21-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm on board with that one!

The girls wearing those sunglasses think they're Jackie O or something. :laugh:

It's Invasion of the Bee Girls (http://www.scifilm.org/reviews2/beegirls.html)!

http://www.scifilm.org/images3/beegirls2-3.jpg

http://www.scifilm.org/images2/beegirls1.jpg

MWM
10-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Oh yeah, TD choreographed "celebrations." Is there anything more silly in all of sports? I can live with a little showboating, high fiving, a couple of dance moves. But jeez, what does dialing a cell phone, "putting" a football, proposing marriage, etc... have to do with the game of footbalL?

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Sorry, MWM, my all-time favorite celebration is still the one where Chad Johnson struck different poses while Peter Warrick pretended to be shooting photos with a camera.

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:25 AM
Who can forget this classic from Kelly Washington? :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMuvjLcuvTI

camisadelgolf
10-21-2007, 06:06 AM
This is a great thread. I hate everyone's use of any variation of the word 'serious'. "Are you being serious?" "Seriously?" "That is seriously _________." I also hate "not gonna lie".

For a while, everyone I knew was saying '******bag' all the time, too.

People who still pop up their collars (especially when it's a pink shirt) . . .

People who say they're being 'emo' when they blog about their feelings.

I'll stop before I go crazier.

Ltlabner
10-21-2007, 09:35 AM

Amen

I giggle when I see a twenty-somthing with a pair of the bug-eyes on because my mother had the exact same sun glasses in the early 1980's.

News flash ladies, they aint' a new thang.

Ltlabner
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Middle aged mothers desperatley trying to be hip and "best friends" with their early teenage daughters. Psssssssttt. You are a parent, not a best friend. Stop wearing "Juicy" sweatpants and saying "like...oh my god" every five seconds.

People who have the name and number of their child stickered all over the rear of their car. I could care less that Trevor and Chyane play soccer for the Maderia Bombers.

GAC
10-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Reality TV

They are really running that one into the ground. I have never watched one minute of reality TV. Got better things to do with my life..... that's reality.

Crime dramas. Still waiting for a CSI to come to your home town. ;)

But one of the biggest trends that really has me scratching my head is among young girls. It's wearing these hip hugging jeans and then a blouse/shirt whatever that allows your gut to hang out. OK. You got a gut. So does my plumber.

Ltlabner
10-21-2007, 09:54 AM
The huge amount of people who are "undecided" about nearly every subject on the planet.

That many people can't be "considering all the variables" on that many topics.

sonny
10-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Dudes combing their hair so it looks like they just crawled out of bed. Thats a look I try to AVOID when putting comb to hair.

Girls getting lower back tatoos. No, just no.

Popping the collar. Anything Don Johnson did = Don't do.

GAC
10-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Girls getting lower back tatoos. No, just no.

Gonna look great when they are older.

"Hey grandma, what's that on your back?"

wheels
10-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Flip flops everywhere, with everything.

They're shower and beach shoes. That's it.

I can't tell you how often I have to stop myself from stomping on someone's foot when I see them. I say dress like a man.

Highlifeman21
10-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Square-headed Drivers and Fairway Metal. If you can't hit a regularly shaped golf club, take up tennis or fishing.

Golf shoes that look like anything but golf shoes. I know it's the traditionalist in me, but come on people, we don't need golf shoes that look like designer tennis shoes. Yeah J. Lind, I'm talking to you.

Techie polyester fabrics for golf apparel. What was ever wrong with mercerized cotton?

Women/Girls who wear those damn furry, suede looking boots that range between high ankle and mid shin. Seriously, who the hell decided this was a good look?

westofyou
10-21-2007, 11:19 AM
Flip flops everywhere, with everything.

They're shower and beach shoes. That's it.

I can't tell you how often I have to stop myself from stomping on someone's foot when I see them. I say dress like a man.

Flip flops in the bathroom... what's up with that... I mean the bathroom at the concert, at the game, at the bar..... I mean yes.. that is pee on the top of your foot.... I'll stand on their coffee table any day in my Chuck Taylors and declare.... "Put on some adult shoes... I think your toes are Flinstonian."

RBA
10-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Delivery Charge for Pizza. Whatever happened to free delivery?

wheels
10-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Flip flops in the bathroom... what's up with that... I mean the bathroom at the concert, at the game, at the bar..... I mean yes.. that is pee on the top of your foot.... I'll stand on their coffee table any day in my Chuck Taylors and declare.... "Put on some adult shoes... I think your toes are Flinstonian."

Flintstone toes are another reason I won't wear them. I have stubby little hobbit feet.

SunDeck
10-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Square-headed Drivers and Fairway Metal. If you can't hit a regularly shaped golf club, take up tennis or fishing.

Golf shoes that look like anything but golf shoes. I know it's the traditionalist in me, but come on people, we don't need golf shoes that look like designer tennis shoes. Yeah J. Lind, I'm talking to you.

Techie polyester fabrics for golf apparel. What was ever wrong with mercerized cotton?

Women/Girls who wear those damn furry, suede looking boots that range between high ankle and mid shin. Seriously, who the hell decided this was a good look?

I don't know what mercerized cotton is, but I'm definitely down on some of the new golf technology. Hollow back clubs? Cool. But drivers weighted to make up for your crappy swing? No- take a lesson and learn how to swing the clubs the right way.

And living in a college town I have been overexposed to the fuzzy boots and the 1970's sweatsuit look. That and the giant glasses make these girls look like mob wifes from Long Island.

RichRed
10-21-2007, 02:17 PM
"Issues" has to be one of the most overused words during the past decade. It doesn't just refer to campaign topics any more. Any problem, obstacle, scenario is now an "issue."

I have issues with that.

Yachtzee
10-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Delivery Charge for Pizza. Whatever happened to free delivery?

Just another way that pizza chains try to grab more of the cash for themselves. They pay their drivers a lower hourly wage and rationalize it to the driver by saying that they're getting paid for gas/mileage. Then they stick the delivery charge in there to recoup the cost of the gas/mileage they have to pay to the driver. Of course the customer doesn't tip because they think the delivery charge is paid in lieu of a tip.

Ltlabner
10-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, this will likely lable me a heartless jerk, but I've already grown tired of the mortgage "crisis". If someone lost their job or had cancer and it led to the loss of their home, my heart goes out to them, and I can definatley sympathise. Could happen to many/most of us.

However, if someone didn't realize that an "adjustable rate mortgage" was going to "adjust" I have a real hard time fealing bad for them. Especially since every mortgage advertisment for the last 5 years has said "rates are at historic lows". Well, it doesn't take Warren Buffet to figure out that if your adjustable rate mortgage is based on a rate at a "historic low" that chances are pretty good that the rate (and consequently the payment) will.....(gasp)...go up. And if you bought a house that you could only just barely afford then it's not a huge shock that when the payment increases that you'll not be able to afford to keep your house.

The whole "interest only" deal really gets me going also. Again, you don't have to be a financial mastermind to figure out that you aren't going to get something for nothing. It's hard to get an upswelling of sympthy when you get socked with the ballon payment in year 5 to catch up on the principal you haven't paid. Did people really think banks were just giving them money for nothing?

Were lenders targeting people and pushing the products hard? Yep. And they should be held to account (both legally and through the natural mechanisim of their default rates going through the roof) I don't have any sympathy for the lenders who gave loans to every Tom, Dick and Harry either. However, nobody put a gun to the homebuyers head to purchase the home they couldn't afford using a financial instrument that would ONLY get more expensive as time wore on.

I know...I know. I'm a cold-hearted S.O.B. Like I said, if you've lost your home due to employment issues, cancer, or other huge tramas, I feal for you. You are the people who are in a "mortage crisis", not the folks who bit off more than they could chew and are now paying the price for some really poor decision making.

Falls City Beer
10-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Your mom trying to kiss on me.

RichRed
10-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Well, this will likely lable me a heartless jerk, but I've already grown tired of the mortgage "crisis". If someone lost their job or had cancer and it led to the loss of their home, my heart goes out to them, and I can definatley sympathise. Could happen to many/most of us.

However, if someone didn't realize that an "adjustable rate mortgage" was going to "adjust" I have a real hard time fealing bad for them. Especially since every mortgage advertisment for the last 5 years has said "rates are at historic lows". Well, it doesn't take Warren Buffet to figure out that if your adjustable rate mortgage is based on a rate at a "historic low" that chances are pretty good that the rate (and consequently the payment) will.....(gasp)...go up. And if you bought a house that you could only just barely afford then it's not a huge shock that when the payment increases that you'll not be able to afford to keep your house.

The whole "interest only" deal really gets me going also. Again, you don't have to be a financial mastermind to figure out that you aren't going to get something for nothing. It's hard to get an upswelling of sympthy when you get socked with the ballon payment in year 5 to catch up on the principal you haven't paid. Did people really think banks were just giving them money for nothing?

Were lenders targeting people and pushing the products hard? Yep. And they should be held to account (both legally and through the natural mechanisim of their default rates going through the roof) However, nobody put a gun to the homebuyers head to purchase the home they couldn't afford using a financial instrument that would ONLY get more expensive as time wore on.

I know...I know. I'm a cold-hearted S.O.B. Like I said, if you've lost your home due to employment issues, cancer, or other huge tramas, I feal for you. You are the people who are in a "mortage crisis", not the folks who bit off more than they could chew and are now paying the price for some really poor decision making.

I agree with this completely. While I may feel some sympathy for those who were duped, I really hope there's not going to be some bailout program. My wife and I couldn't afford to buy a house a few years ago so guess what? We didn't buy one! We're loving our apartment at the beach for now and are biding our time until the market normalizes.

The one aspect in which I can see the "crisis" is that this whole housing bubble will have a huge impact on the economy. Other than that, I agree with your point.

LoganBuck
10-21-2007, 03:10 PM
That one, plus putting "oholic" at the end of anything that might be describing an addiction. Not all scandals are WaterGATE and not all addictive items are alcOHOL.

The same thing with "phobia" or similar terms - it used to mean fear, but now if you dislike something you're a "(fill in the blank) aphobe"

I'm addicted to rage-ohol! MMMmmm, (insert visceral drooling noise) rage. ---- Homer Simpson

That stupid "Soldierboy" song. I mean this is the number one song in America? There has to be something better. I feel like an SEC fan complaining about Ohio State.

Women's clothes that have some stupid word scrolled across their butt. I finally get why parents get upset about having to explain things. My five year old doesn't understand why someone, would have pants that say "Juicy", "Pink", or "Yummy", on their butt. My current response is "I don't know". Which will probably contribute to the moment when he is twelve where he finally once and for all decides that his parents are stupid.

People in entertainment making political statements all the time. No matter what the tv show, or other platform. I don't care about your agenda left or right. Just entertain me. Dance clown, dance.

YouTube, taking the time to download, a 60 second clip or a someone sticking a crayon up their nose, while making fun of George Bush. Yep I can do without that one.

SunDeck
10-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Were lenders targeting people and pushing the products hard? Yep. And they should be held to account (both legally and through the natural mechanisim of their default rates going through the roof) However, nobody put a gun to the homebuyers head to purchase the home they couldn't afford using a financial instrument that would ONLY get more expensive as time wore on.

I hear ya. I'm surrounded by people who are upside down in mortgages they had no business taking on in the first place. I don't know if it's a function of them having unrealistic expectations or loan officers/appraisers/brokers and real estate agents who conspire to put people into situations where they are in over their heads. However, it's pretty simple to live within your means.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't believe in leveraging all the equity in your house, either. Trading that for interest just seems nuts to me. If I can't afford something, I save until I can.

SteelSD
10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Buffalo Wings.

Now, I like me some tasty buffalo wings. Very good. I'll take 20 at a Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings or even from a solid local place who knows how to make them. But every freakin' restaurant under the sun is now trying to tell me they serve buffalo wings. Went to a Chinese restaurant yesterday. On the buffet? "Buffalo wings". No no NO! Those crusty fried wing pieces and awful hot sauce are not buffalo wings. Every Pizza Hut I've seen has a dumb "Wingstreet" sign hanging off the side of their building. NO! Pizza Hut, your mass-market small chicken pieces are lame. "Wingstreet" my behind. Your company is good at one thing- delivering mad amounts of mediocre greasy pizza to a public demanding such. Shame on you for trying to get people to believe you can do much of anything else.

"Boneless" Buffalo Wings. NO! They're chicken strips in sauce. Stop it! It's madness I tell you.

Another food endeavor with a big target painted on it is the "gourmet" burger. I've visited Red Robin often enough to have figured out that most of their "gourmet" burgers suck. Tried the burger they put guacamole on top. Sucked. Tried their "Italian" burger (whatever it's called). Sucked. The only thing they have that's decent is the Royal Red Robin burger, but there's nothing "gourmet" about putting cheese, bacon, and an egg on top of a burger. In fact, being that such a combination probably originated at some small town greasy spoon diner, it's exactly the opposite of "gourmet".

Oh, and to all the fine dining establishments that make you purchase a 3x too-large side order of mediocre mashed potatoes for seven bucks to pair with an already too-expensive poorly-cooked steak? Screw you.

Another trend I flippin' hate is the production of ever-growing-larger pickup trucks. It's one thing for farm use. It's quite another to see some 5" 2" soccer mom who's chatting on her cell phone while piddling around town in a 2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab. Seriously, the other day I saw a lady get out of some four-door extended-cab/extended-bucket monstrosity. There's no reason your vehicle needs to have one of those blow-up airline escape ramps for you to get out of it. And I swear that half the people I talk to who complain about the price of gas own one of these ridiculous contraptions for no reason other than they or their hubby desperately needed to have a truck that's bigger than one owned by a neighbor/family member/co-worker.

WMR
10-21-2007, 05:00 PM
I'll tell you what annoys me... defensive players making an interception or scooping up a fumble and then holding the ball in the palm of their hand extended away from their body while they run with it. YOU'RE A FOOTBALL PLAYER --> TUCK THE BALL AWAY

(just saw Keith Bulluck fumble a ball after making a great defensive play doing this exact thing ... and it happens all the time)

Ltlabner
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Went to a Chinese restaurant yesterday. On the buffet? "Buffalo wings". No no NO! Those crusty fried wing pieces and awful hot sauce are not buffalo wings.

"Boneless" Buffalo Wings. NO! They're chicken strips in sauce. Stop it! It's madness I tell you.

Another food endeavor with a big target painted on it is the "gourmet" burger.

Oh, and to all the fine dining establishments that make you purchase a 3x too-large side order of mediocre mashed potatoes for seven bucks to pair with an already too-expensive poorly-cooked steak? Screw you.

And I swear that half the people I talk to who complain about the price of gas own one of these ridiculous contraptions for no reason other than they or their hubby desperately needed to have a truck that's bigger than one owned by a neighbor/family member/co-worker.

Steel, sometimes you drive me nuts with your posts, but this.... This, my friend, is classic ranting! :thumbup: :laugh: Well done.

Agree 100%

LoganBuck
10-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Another trend I flippin' hate is the production of ever-growing-larger pickup trucks. It's one thing for farm use. It's quite another to see some 5" 2" soccer mom who's chatting on her cell phone while piddling around town in a 2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab. Seriously, the other day I saw a lady get out of some four-door extended-cab/extended-bucket monstrosity. There's no reason your vehicle needs to have one of those blow-up airline escape ramps for you to get out of it. And I swear that half the people I talk to who complain about the price of gas own one of these ridiculous contraptions for no reason other than they or their hubby desperately needed to have a truck that's bigger than one owned by a neighbor/family member/co-worker.

Steel you know what is funny? Farmers can't use/don't want those full size four door cabs on their trucks. They are difficult to maneuver, and the majority have the short 6-6.5 ft truckbeds behind them. A standard sheet of plywood won't fit in them with the tailgate shut. My father is in the market for a different truck. He is looking for a low mileage used 3/4 ton 4X4 truck with the standard cab, and an eight foot bed, to put a gooseneck hitch in to pull a stock trailer. Extended cabs and shortbeds have a tendancy to get jackknifed when backing in tight corners causing horrendously expensive repair bills. It is impossible to find a straight "classic" pickup.

MrCinatit
10-21-2007, 05:44 PM
"String of consciousness" - especially in blogs.
Some call it string of consciousness, I call it an inability to spell and punctuate.

GAC
10-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Another trend I flippin' hate is the production of ever-growing-larger pickup trucks. It's one thing for farm use. It's quite another to see some 5" 2" soccer mom who's chatting on her cell phone while piddling around town in a 2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab. Seriously, the other day I saw a lady get out of some four-door extended-cab/extended-bucket monstrosity.

I love seeing all these people driving around in these full size pickups yet you'll never see them hauling anything...... "What? And put a scratch in my bed?"

hebroncougar
10-21-2007, 10:56 PM
The energy company's lame excuses to jack up the price of gasoline, natural gas, heating oil, and electricity.

Yachtzee
10-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I love seeing all these people driving around in these full size pickups yet you'll never see them hauling anything...... "What? And put a scratch in my bed?"

I never understood the pick-up trucks with the doubled-up rear wheels in back but then they have such a narrow truck bed. It seems like if you're going to add width to the truck by adding an extra set of wheels back there, you'd at least get the benefit of a wider truck bed. Instead it looks like the truck version of cottage cheese thighs.

MrCinatit
10-21-2007, 10:59 PM
The energy company's lame excuses to jack up the price of gasoline, natural gas, heating oil, and electricity.

...especially when a lot of it is based on "might", ie, we "might" have a severe winter, or this "might" be a dangerous hurricane season.
Yet, when it doesn't happen...are the customers given their money back?

paintmered
10-21-2007, 11:04 PM

I'm with you there. I'll stick with my Dry-Joys, thank you.

SteelSD
10-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Steel, sometimes you drive me nuts with your posts, but this.... This, my friend, is classic ranting! :thumbup: :laugh: Well done.

Agree 100%

I'll try to drive you less nuts in the future. ;)

Steel you know what is funny? Farmers can't use/don't want those full size four door cabs on their trucks. They are difficult to maneuver, and the majority have the short 6-6.5 ft truckbeds behind them. A standard sheet of plywood won't fit in them with the tailgate shut. My father is in the market for a different truck. He is looking for a low mileage used 3/4 ton 4X4 truck with the standard cab, and an eight foot bed, to put a gooseneck hitch in to pull a stock trailer. Extended cabs and shortbeds have a tendancy to get jackknifed when backing in tight corners causing horrendously expensive repair bills. It is impossible to find a straight "classic" pickup.

Y'know, I'd wondered about that- particularly the truckbed size on some of those behemoths. That's great info. It's like some folks just wanted a Suburban without the back 1/3 of the top. And every time I see one of those huge 4-door pickups in a parking lot, I drive away about as fast as I can.

Bingo. When I was much younger, I had a baseball coach who owned a nice pickup. One day, I had the audacity to jump into the bed of his truck with my cleats on. The dude whined like a little girl.

WMR
10-22-2007, 02:50 AM
I never understood the pick-up trucks with the doubled-up rear wheels in back but then they have such a narrow truck bed. It seems like if you're going to add width to the truck by adding an extra set of wheels back there, you'd at least get the benefit of a wider truck bed. Instead it looks like the truck version of cottage cheese thighs.

My uncle is a farmer and has a "dualey" truck, the nickname for the type of truck that you just described. He regularly pulls a gooseneck trailer. A "dualey" truck DRAMATICALLY increases the amount of weight that one can haul as well as make stopping and controlling heavy loads much easier.

So... they DO serve a purpose... but definitely a very specific one.

WMR
10-22-2007, 02:51 AM
I'll try to drive you less nuts in the future. ;)

Y'know, I'd wondered about that- particularly the truckbed size on some of those behemoths. That's great info. It's like some folks just wanted a Suburban without the back 1/3 of the top. And every time I see one of those huge 4-door pickups in a parking lot, I drive away about as fast as I can.

Bingo. When I was much younger, I had a baseball coach who owned a nice pickup. One day, I had the audacity to jump into the bed of his truck with my cleats on. The dude whined like a little girl.

Nah, Steel, if you're driving Lt nuts, that usually means you're spot on. :lol:

LoganBuck
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM

Those trucks have a standard bed and wheel well flares that give it the appearance of having a narrow truck bed. If they had a wider bed I suspect that they would have to get some sort of commercial tags.

TeamCasey
10-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Heavy eyeliner is a new trend for women this year. It's a liquid eyeliner that applied heavy like Cleopatra.

It looks harsh and cultish ........ like you're going to to hunt small children to eat.

The gate person at Delta was wearing this ..... I was afraid to get on the plane. ;)

SunDeck
10-22-2007, 09:02 AM
The gate person at Delta was wearing this ..... I was afraid to get on the plane. ;)

That was just a vampire. Delta hires them to suck your blood after they suck all the money out of your wallet.

camisadelgolf
10-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Here, in Germany, I see a lot of Yankees hats (mostly from the Germans who immigrated from Turkey). First of all, they don't even like baseball. Second of all, they don't even know how to play the game. Third of all, they can't even name any baseball players (aside from the occasional person who has heard the name 'Alex Rodriguez'). Fourth of all, it's the Yankees, who in a lot of ways, are pretty much the epitome of what foreigners hate about America.

durl
10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
- Football celebrations. After scoring, yes, but mainly after making ONE play. A cornerback will deflect a pass and celebrate like he's the greatest man to ever put on a uniform. On the very next play, he'll give up a touchdown on a 3rd and long.

- "Issues" used in place of "problem." And "-phobic" used to smear anyone who doesn't agree with you.

- Boys wearing baggy pants. I don't care what your underwear looks like.

- Polls becoming news stories. CNN recently released a poll showing that almost 40% of Americans think the US is in a recession. (We're definitely not in a recession, by the way. Quite the opposite.) They even mentioned that nearly 90% of blacks believe the US is in a recession. While CNN did provide a definition of a recession, the release I saw didn't mention that we're not in a recession. Basically, the poll revealed that 90% of blacks (and 40% of Americans) have no knowledge of economics. Yet what people THINK, regardless of facts, becomes the story.

- SOME cell phone drivers. I'll qualify this one. While I don't get peeved at people talking on the phone while driving, I DO get frustrated when talking becomes more important than piloting a 2 ton pile of metal going 70 mph. I notice it mainly when people aren't using headsets and have on hand up by their head constantly.

Oh...I'm getting old, so I could probably go on and on.

Unassisted
10-22-2007, 11:29 AM
You should never move to Texas, then. When I visit Ohio, I notice how relatively few pickup trucks there are. It's rare that I see pickups here hauling anything, either.

texasdave
10-22-2007, 12:16 PM
When did it become fashionable to stop one's car at a red light, a car's length or more behind the car in front of them? Do they teach this in driver's ed? What is the reasoning behind this? I suppose it wouldn't bother me that much except for the fact that I have to make a left-hand turn into the building in which I work. There is a left-hand turn lane, but it is very short (2 cars at the max). A left-hand turn here is only permitted on the arrow. Countless times I have had to sit and watch the light cycle through the arrow without being able to go because the driver in the car in front of me has felt the need to leave this obligatory gap between himmself and the car in front of him. So why do people do this?

texasdave
10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
You should never move to Texas, then. When I visit Ohio, I notice how relatively few pickup trucks there are. It's rare that I see pickups here hauling anything, either.

What is really odd about all those pickups in Texas is that not one of them has a working set of turn signals. :D

dabvu2498
10-22-2007, 12:48 PM
When did it become fashionable to stop one's car at a red light, a car's length or more behind the car in front of them? Do they teach this in driver's ed? What is the reasoning behind this? I suppose it wouldn't bother me that much except for the fact that I have to make a left-hand turn into the building in which I work. There is a left-hand turn lane, but it is very short (2 cars at the max). A left-hand turn here is only permitted on the arrow. Countless times I have had to sit and watch the light cycle through the arrow without being able to go because the driver in the car in front of me has felt the need to leave this obligatory gap between himmself and the car in front of him. So why do people do this?

Actually they do teach that at drivers ed. It's supposed to provide a buffer zone between you and the car in front of you in case you're rear ended.

Unassisted
10-22-2007, 12:56 PM
What is really odd about all those pickups in Texas is that not one of them has a working set of turn signals. :D
I have a game that I've played with my kids for years. Whenever we're out driving and I see a vehicle turn without signaling, I tell them to add it to our imaginary list of vehicle models that we assume are not equipped with turn signals. As you can imagine, we have many models of pickup trucks on our list. :)

Ltlabner
10-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Actually they do teach that at drivers ed. It's supposed to provide a buffer zone between you and the car in front of you in case you're rear ended.

Trust me, leave the extra space when driving south of Louisville on I65!

gonelong
10-22-2007, 01:15 PM
However, if someone didn't realize that an "adjustable rate mortgage" was going to "adjust" I have a real hard time fealing bad for them.

I am not personally in this situation and don't know anyone that is ... but it sounds to me like the issue for some (not sure the %tage) is that the lending rules have tightened considerably and some people that easily quailified for an ARM are now not able to qualify to refinance.

While they probably didn't make the best financial decision to buy in an area where housing prices were likely to drop quite a bit, the lending industry hanging them out to dry is a contributor as well.

GL

RedsManRick
10-22-2007, 01:21 PM
I am not personally in this situation and don't know anyone that is ... but it sounds to me like the issue for some (not sure the %tage) is that the lending rules have tightened considerably and some people that easily quailified for an ARM are now not able to qualify to refinance.

While they probably didn't make the best financial decision to buy in an area where housing prices were likely to drop quite a bit, the lending industry hanging them out to dry is a contributor as well.

GL

Yeah, I think that's definitely a big part of the frustration. Surely they expected rates to go up. But they expected to have the opportunity to refinance, which they are now denied.

It's like buying something with a 90 day money back guarantee only to find out after 40 days that they company changed in to 30 -- and that there was small print allowing them to do so that you didn't think to read.

For me, the biggest issue being highlighted is how many people unnecessarily live at the very edge of their means.

Falls City Beer
10-22-2007, 04:30 PM

GL

This is exactly right. Some of my grad students are finding this out right now.

Falls City Beer
10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Trust me, leave the extra space when driving south of Louisville on I65!

Wait a minute: I smell a rat.

Weren't you the one complaining about being busted for breaking the law, but now won't extend sympathy to people being swindled by lending institutions who can make up and change the rules whenever the hell they feel like it?

;)

Ltlabner
10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Wait a minute: I smell a rat.

Weren't you the one complaining about being busted for breaking the law, but now won't extend sympathy to people being swindled by lending institutions who can make up and change the rules whenever the hell they feel like it?

Cool, I'm going to go buy a car I can't afford and then when I can't make the payments FCB can make them for me. Because those big bad auto lenders tricked me.

No rat here. I made a bad decision to follow to closely and got a ticket. While it's a drag (and yes I complained about it), I am paying the ticket myself, not demanding someone else pay it. Sure it's frustrating, but when it comes down to it, I'm ponying up for my mistake. You know...sorta like people who made hideous financial decisions that most high school econ students could have seen as bad and are now having to do. Shouldn't be a huge shock to people that the market changed and interest rates increased.

Lending institutions that pressured people to take loans they shouldn't have, or made shady deals should be punished (like I said in my original post). But that still does not excuse people over extending themselves and buying homes they couldn't afford. People made some bad choices, it's not entirely the lending institutions fault.

Not that you have any adgendas against capitalistic systems or anything.

MartyFan
10-22-2007, 04:46 PM
I am tired of hearing someone say "that is so _______" or "I am so _________" or "You so did not just _________"

I am tired of Girls Gone Wild, Guys Gone Wild, Infomercials, Buy here pay here lots, Credit Card Company, All the skank hook up phone ads and most of the radio and TV sports personalities who act more like frat boys then men.

It turns my stomach to see Jimmy Johnson and Terry Bradshaw...or hear Jim Rome...I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I am also sick of televangelists, the religious right, Democrats and Republicans, Jerry Springer and Judge Judy.

Hey, maybe I shouldn't watch so much TV?

SeeinRed
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Buffalo Wings.

Now, I like me some tasty buffalo wings. Very good. I'll take 20 at a Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings or even from a solid local place who knows how to make them. But every freakin' restaurant under the sun is now trying to tell me they serve buffalo wings. Went to a Chinese restaurant yesterday. On the buffet? "Buffalo wings". No no NO! Those crusty fried wing pieces and awful hot sauce are not buffalo wings. Every Pizza Hut I've seen has a dumb "Wingstreet" sign hanging off the side of their building. NO! Pizza Hut, your mass-market small chicken pieces are lame. "Wingstreet" my behind. Your company is good at one thing- delivering mad amounts of mediocre greasy pizza to a public demanding such. Shame on you for trying to get people to believe you can do much of anything else.

Another food endeavor with a big target painted on it is the "gourmet" burger. I've visited Red Robin often enough to have figured out that most of their "gourmet" burgers suck. Tried the burger they put guacamole on top. Sucked. Tried their "Italian" burger (whatever it's called). Sucked. The only thing they have that's decent is the Royal Red Robin burger, but there's nothing "gourmet" about putting cheese, bacon, and an egg on top of a burger. In fact, being that such a combination probably originated at some small town greasy spoon diner, it's exactly the opposite of "gourmet".

:laugh: Agree on all counts. :beerme:

TeamCasey
10-22-2007, 05:21 PM

I do it if I think the person in front of me is driving a stick. They often roll backward before going forward.

..... or if they have a cell phone stuck in their ear. I give those idiots lots of space.

TeamCasey
10-22-2007, 05:23 PM
The only non-New York wing place that is decent is BW3s.

Falls City Beer
10-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Cool, I'm going to go buy a car I can't afford and then when I can't make the payments FCB can make them for me. Because those big bad auto lenders tricked me.

No rat here. I made a bad decision to follow to closely and got a ticket. While it's a drag (and yes I complained about it), I am paying the ticket myself, not demanding someone else pay it. Sure it's frustrating, but when it comes down to it, I'm ponying up for my mistake. You know...sorta like people who made hideous financial decisions that most high school econ students could have seen as bad and are now having to do. Shouldn't be a huge shock to people that the market changed and interest rates increased.

Lending institutions that pressured people to take loans they shouldn't have, or made shady deals should be punished (like I said in my original post). But that still does not excuse people over extending themselves and buying homes they couldn't afford. People made some bad choices, it's not entirely the lending institutions fault.

Not that you have any adgendas against capitalistic systems or anything.

You're ponying up for your mistake because you have to.

registerthis
10-22-2007, 05:55 PM

Not entirely, no, but you'd be amazed at how shady some mortgage brokers and lending institutions can be. I had a friend once who was making around $45K a year who met with a mortgage broker who tried to convince her that she could qualify for a $275k mortgage. Now, she's an intelligent person and could understand rather quickly that there was no way she could afford that mortgage. But when you start throwing in interest-only loans, lenders who imply that the ARM has as much of a chance of going down as it does to increase, along with other such tomfoolery and you can understand how some people can get locked into mortgages they are qoefully incapable of paying off. Add to that GL's point about the changing lending requirements, and it's practically a recipe for disaster.

All of which is to say that involving a buyer's agent in the process is almost always a good idea, particularly considering that the seller's agent typically offers half of the commission to the buyer's agent.

paintmered
10-22-2007, 06:01 PM
"That's what she said."

And my co-workers have me saying it now.

gilpdawg
10-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Buffalo Wings.

I get ya on the chicken strips thing. That ain't wings. I hate the large trucks too.

KronoRed
10-22-2007, 06:46 PM
"That's what she said."

And my co-workers have me saying it now.

You work with Micheal Scott?

paintmered
10-22-2007, 07:35 PM
You work with Micheal Scott?

Yes, they are going to invade me with the armies of the north.

SunDeck
10-22-2007, 09:01 PM
I sick, real sick of seeing peoples fat mid sections. Muffin tops- I shudder just thinking about them.

I'm also sick of tattoos. However, I do take pleasure in knowing that so many of the Chinese characters that people are wearing actually say things like "be nice to your mother" and "pregnant cookie". And I wish I could say this were a joke, but my wife tutors asian grad students who have all told her the same thing about tattoos they've seen on american bodies.

Yachtzee
10-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Here, in Germany, I see a lot of Yankees hats (mostly from the Germans who immigrated from Turkey). First of all, they don't even like baseball. Second of all, they don't even know how to play the game. Third of all, they can't even name any baseball players (aside from the occasional person who has heard the name 'Alex Rodriguez'). Fourth of all, it's the Yankees, who in a lot of ways, are pretty much the epitome of what foreigners hate about America.

I always liked it when the Germans would tool around in their LA 49ers t-shirts and Chicago Red Sox hats. They had an army surplus store that would sell all kinds of bootleg apparel with messed up sports teams. It was crazy when the Indiana Bulls won the NBA championship.

Yachtzee
10-22-2007, 09:57 PM
- Polls becoming news stories. CNN recently released a poll showing that almost 40% of Americans think the US is in a recession. (We're definitely not in a recession, by the way. Quite the opposite.) They even mentioned that nearly 90% of blacks believe the US is in a recession. While CNN did provide a definition of a recession, the release I saw didn't mention that we're not in a recession. Basically, the poll revealed that 90% of blacks (and 40% of Americans) have no knowledge of economics. Yet what people THINK, regardless of facts, becomes the story.

I like the stat I heard today on BBC Radio. Most people have more than the average number of feet. Which is true, because the maximum number of feet that people have is two and those with one or no feet bring the average down. Of course if you don't hear what the basis for those numbers are and have no idea what the norm is, it's easy for a news story to distort the numbers.

GAC
10-22-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm also sick of tattoos.

Amen. I never have really understood the mystique behind having a tattoo? I'm not saying people are stupid for having them. I just have never understood this current craze over the last decade. And we're not talking about one single tattoo on the forearm anymore; but having your arm, and maybe even entire upper body, neck, legs, backside decorated like some sort of mural.

Tattoo and body art parlors are big business anymore. When I was growing up the only people you saw with tattoos, for the most part, were men. And they were truckers, construction workers, or some guy, while in the military, who got drunk and stumbled into a tattoo parlor.

I guess having a tattoo helped to magnify that "tough guy" "you don't want to mess with me" personna.

And forgive me if I offend anyone, but when I see these skinny guys, who are lucky to weigh 120 lbs soppin' wet, walking around with all these tattoos and body piercings, I just want to laugh and ask "Why?" "What, if anything, are you trying to say?"

Is it a "statement" of non-conformity and wanting to different from everyone else, to somehow try and stand out?

Again - I'm not begrudging anyone who has these tattoos. I just don't understand it?

And is it some sort of rule now that if you're a middle linebacker you have to have one of these? Do QB's fear these more them anything else? :lol:

http://tattoo.about.com/library/graphics/erictribal.jpg

vaticanplum
10-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Muffin tops- I shudder just thinking about them.

What's a muffin top?

I am really growing tired of celebrity culture. Now, I actually take issue with the couple of comments in this thread about celebrities not being allowed to voice their political views ("just entertain me") -- if they're spouting off because they think they should, and they're clearly uneducated, then that's one thing. But a person shouldn't be denied his or her views, if they're thoughtful and personal, just because he or she is in the public eye. These people are in a position to do a lot of good if they put their money where their mouths are. California has a fairly decent governor; should he not have been allowed that chance because he happened to start out as a bodybuilder?

But my problem is just with the complete infiltration. The internet. 24-hour entertainment news channels. My 15-year-old cousin has no reason to know which minor TV celebrity is dating which other one, but she knows them all. And she doesn't have cable and her internet time is limited, which means she's getting a fair amount of this information at school. This is an enormous shift even since I was a teenager; I might have even bought into that at that age, but I simply didn't have access to that kind of information. I wish I could lighten up, but I'm getting to the point where I think it's really damaging. A whole lot of Americans who couldn't identify Iraq on a map can tell you that Lindsay Lohan is in rehab. And I don't even see it as the same kind of trend as sports obsession or music obsession, because it's directed toward specific people, people who are just humans with jobs and, as humans, who have no inherent reason that I can see for eliciting a real emotional response (the way sports and music can).

I hate this trend. It is time- and soul-sucking, and I think it's indicative of some kind of major hole somewhere, and I'm not sure how it's going to go away.

Yachtzee
10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
What's a muffin top?

Someone who wears low-rider jeans that are so tight that their "love handles" stick out over the top of the jeans, not unlike the top of a muffin sticking out over the muffin stump.

vaticanplum
10-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Someone who wears low-rider jeans that are so tight that their "love handles" stick out over the top of the jeans, not unlike the top of a muffin sticking out over the muffin stump.

Oh, I see. I do not like this trend either. It is very detrimental to the body line.

WMR
10-22-2007, 11:44 PM

"Hey! You can't dump those stumps here!"

remdog
10-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I've read this entire thread looking for 'New Trends' as advertised in the title. Nothing. Everything here is at least a decade old and this thread is the same basic kevetching that someone starts every month or so. (famous shrug)

Anyone have anything new? Say, something that's started in the last year, for instance?

Rem

WMR
10-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I've read this entire thread looking for 'New Trends' as advertised in the title. Nothing. Everything here is at least a decade old and this thread is the same basic kevetching that someone starts every month or so. (famous shrug)

Anyone have anything new? Say, something that's started in the last year, for instance?

Rem

Well... this probably goes back a bit further than the past year... but people putting virtual shrugs in their posts can be a bit much at times. :laugh: :evil: :D

remdog
10-22-2007, 11:58 PM
It officially appeared this year simply because Lil' Abner adored it. :p:

Rem

WMR
10-22-2007, 11:59 PM
It officially appeared this year simply because Lil' Abner adored it. :p:

Rem

Awwww, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for your shrugs, Rem. :D

I wish Boss would make a :shrug: emoticon for ya. :laugh:

vaticanplum
10-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Rem

Well, I just noticed the extent of celebrity infiltration this weekend. Truly. And also just learned the definition of "muffin top" about five minutes ago, as documented. Maybe you're just first on all the trends :)

remdog
10-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Boss did. The problem is that it looks like my mind's eye vision of a particular Redszone poster so, in good conscience, I can't use it. :)

Rem

remdog
10-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, I just noticed the extent of celebrity infiltration this weekend. Truly.

I have to ask: Do you live in an empty furniture crate!?! j/k but really.....:eek:

Rem

WMR
10-23-2007, 04:37 AM
Boss did. The problem is that it looks like my mind's eye vision of a particular Redszone poster so, in good conscience, I can't use it. :)

Rem

:lol:

Are you seeking counseling for these emoticon issues?? ;)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

camisadelgolf
10-23-2007, 05:42 AM
In music, I'm sick of any genre ending with 'core'. I don't know if this is considered a trend (but considering how much I've dated, it probably does), but I'm sick of ex-girlfriends finding ways to get in contact with me. I'M HAPPY WITH MY CURRENT GIRLFRIENDS. STOP CALLING ME.

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 08:40 AM
People claiming musical taste because they can open a million .zip and .rar files (because they're either in college and have no responsibilities or have a job with no responsibilities).

Taste is taste, not sheer volume.

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Which leads me to my second point (and this isn't a recent trend, but bear with me): I miss record labels--it was nice when I didn't have to wade through so much garbage to find a decent band because now any band (no matter how awful) can release its own crap to a massive audience without the filtration system that record labels (big and small) helped to provide. I've just stopped listening to word of mouth recommendations--I've got to find people with better taste I guess.

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Well... this probably goes back a bit further than the past year... but people putting virtual shrugs in their posts can be a bit much at times. :laugh: :evil: :D

I agree 100% Ban the shrugs!!!!

It officially appeared this year simply because Lil' Abner adored it.

Hehehehe...oh yes. Yes indeed.

Awwww, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for your shrugs, Rem. :D

I wish Boss would make a :shrug: emoticon for ya. :laugh:

Bite your tounge toughguy.

:D

SunDeck
10-23-2007, 10:41 AM
"Git Er Done."
"Cowboy up."

Real sick of those two things.

vaticanplum
10-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I have to ask: Do you live in an empty furniture crate!?! j/k but really.....:eek:

Rem

Yes. That's it.

Roy Tucker
10-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm a little tired of blogging. People seem to think its license for stream of consciousness thinking, poor grammar, and fragmentary thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, I think it has its place and I'm OK with seeing some raw output. But blogging seems to have supplanted a well-written article with good paragraph flow and well-constructed, cogent sentences.

wheels
10-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Which leads me to my second point (and this isn't a recent trend, but bear with me): I miss record labels--it was nice when I didn't have to wade through so much garbage to find a decent band because now any band (no matter how awful) can release its own crap to a massive audience without the filtration system that record labels (big and small) helped to provide. I've just stopped listening to word of mouth recommendations--I've got to find people with better taste I guess.

The internet is ruining music.

Everything's so disposable now. If you don't like something, into the recycle bin it goes without so much as knowing who's in the band, who produced it, what the bands look like....

In an odd way it's like the seventies all over again. Most record covers didn't even have a picture of the band on them.

Record stores? Who wants to go to those places? Someone might actually have to socialize.

The horror!

The Baumer
10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
People avoid record stores because CDs cost 17-20 dollars. Not because they are agoraphobic.

And the prospect that there are thousands of great independent bands out there that you may never know about is very scary for any self proclaimed "man of taste", however, you must overcome your fears, and do some old fashioned music searching. It's ok that you didn't find out about Spoon until their 5th record, or that In Rainbows is the first Radiohead cd you've listened to since Ok Computer, or that your 16 year old nephew knows more about the E6 collective than you, no one is going to make fun of you or force you to hand over your vinyl collection as punishment. The only person you should be bitter towards is yourself for a) actually thinking record labels "filter" bands according to quality and b) not putting in the work to discover new music (which is easier than ever today thanks to label sites offering mp3 samples, streaming audio sites, and very convenient & illegal p2p programs). If you really think all new music is terrible and an open playing field kills quality, then at least you still have your old Steely Dan and Eagles cds.

westofyou
10-23-2007, 03:43 PM
The internet is ruining music.

No way... just ain't true, I've been kept alive by internet music myself.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Putting chili on your nachos bel grande

wheels
10-23-2007, 03:47 PM
People avoid record stores because CDs cost 17-20 dollars. Not because they are agoraphobic.

And the prospect that there are thousands of great independent bands out there that you may never know about is very scary for any self proclaimed "man of taste", however, you must overcome your fears, and do some old fashioned music searching. It's ok that you didn't find out about Spoon until their 5th record, or that In Rainbows is the first Radiohead cd you've listened to since Ok Computer, or that your 16 year old nephew knows more about the E6 collective than you, no one is going to make fun of you or force you to hand over your vinyl collection as punishment. The only person you should be bitter towards is yourself for a) actually thinking record labels "filter" bands according to quality and b) not putting in the work to discover new music (which is easier than ever today thanks to label sites offering mp3 samples, streaming audio sites, and very convenient & illegal p2p programs). If you really think all new music is terrible and an open playing field kills quality, then at least you still have your old Steely Dan and Eagles cds.

I've never paid 17-20 bucks for a cd unless it was a boxed set or something. Then again, I buy mostly vinyl, and yes there are many independent labels that put out great new bands.

Oh, and vinyl sounds better and it's cheaper and cooler. Gimme a big ol 33 1/3 12" record with artwork and liner notes and stuff over a little thing you put in your pocket anyday.

The trend that is really bothersome to me about music is seeing people actually comparing epods (or whatever they're called). "Oh....Mine's smaller than yours. Get with the times...".

I just don't find computer software as compelling as music, and I don't feel like the two should be mixed. Yes, I am also a crazy person, wrought with neurosis and fear of change.

Doesn't mean people shouldn't strive to be just like me.

wheels
10-23-2007, 03:50 PM
No way... just ain't true, I've been kept alive by internet music myself.

It's rhetoric, no doubt, but I think you know where I'm coming from.

I listen to some great podcasts on garagepunk.com, so I'm not totally walled off, but I'll take a nice quiet night in with a big stack of records and a bottle of wine over just about anything.

My turntable is just too important to be supplanted in the pantheon of me.

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Oh, and vinyl sounds better and it's cheaper and cooler. Gimme a big ol 33 1/3 12" record with artwork and liner notes and stuff over a little thing you put in your pocket anyday.

The trend that is really bothersome to me about music is seeing people actually comparing epods (or whatever they're called).

I agree totally.

Except 4 or 5 hours a day I am driving somewhere and my turntable keeps falling off the dashboard. And let me tell you finding a turntable with a 12volt cigarette lighter plug is not easy. And the condition of the roads today...brother it's hard to keep the thing from skipping.

Stupid technology.

PS: Love my IPOD. Yea, it's not as hip as a stack of records and a skull-bong, but it's conveinent, easy to use, and I've actually been turned on to more new music since making the plunge than before when I only purchased what I was already interested in.

The Baumer
10-23-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree that vinyl and hardcopies of records require the listener to invest more in the music and, for myself, I feel like that investment pays off in a better experience. But that is my personal bias. There are people who perfectly a-ok buying records on iTunes, sometimes for the same price as an actual hardcopy cd.

The Baumer
10-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I agree totally.

Except 4 or 5 hours a day I am driving somewhere and my turntable keeps falling off the dashboard. And let me tell you finding a turntable with a 12volt cigarette lighter plug is not easy. And the condition of the roads today...brother it's hard to keep the thing from skipping.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/9977557888

wheels
10-23-2007, 04:02 PM
I agree totally.

Stupid technology.

PS: Love my IPOD. Yea, it's not as hip as a stack of records and a skull-bong, but it's conveinent, easy to use, and I've actually been turned on to more new music since making the plunge than before when I only purchased what I was already interested in.

Convenience is king.

There is heart clogging food on every corner too.

What a world we live in!

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/9977557888

:laugh:

That's some good stuff. Desperatley trying to be hip by being anti-anything that is popular or commonly accepted. When he opens his sun-visor and the records drop in his lap is the best part....

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Convenience is king.

No, actually my job is.

Since I am not able to be tethered to a record player I need music that is portable. I'm either in a car driving somewhere or in a hotel most of the time. So while it may be declasse it's either mp3 and XM to get a musical fix, or it's listening to truckers on the CB.

wheels
10-23-2007, 04:12 PM
:laugh:

That's some good stuff. Desperatley trying to be hip by being anti-anything that is popular or commonly accepted.

Never have I considered myself hip.

I have an honest disdain for something.

Get over it.

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Never have I considered myself hip.

I have an honest disdain for something.

Get over it.

Wow. That post was about the dude in the video.

So sensitive.

wheels
10-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow. That post was about the dude in the video.

So sensitive.

What video?

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 04:17 PM
For me personally, one of the nice things about the digital music revolution is the availbility of music. You can usually sample most any song, whether by artist website or itunes, etc.

Back in the day you either had to (1) hear the song on the radio (2) hear the song at a friends house (3) just buy random records hoping to find songs that are cool. You had to work a lot harder to expand your musical tastes.

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 04:18 PM
What video?

Uh...the video in The Baumer's post. :confused:

wheels
10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Uh...the video in The Baumer's post. :confused:

:confused: Didn't see it.

Whatever....That video was posted as a dig at me, which is fine.

Problem is, you're drawing an image of me as some kinda trendster hipster guy and that couldn't be farther from the truth.

There is absolutely nothing hip about me. It's not cool to be a record collecter (just look at how you hip, trendy youngsters are reacting) and it never has.

Have you seen some of us? We're messed up people.

Try walking around not being willing or able to relate to 90% of the people you meet. It's no picnic. If I could flip a switch that would make me young, tech savvy and sexy like yourself, don't you think I would? How many times do I get ignored on the board when I bring up a band I'm listening to? Do you think that's cool?
I am all inclusive. I try to spread my joy around, and it sucks when people won't even give it a second thought. They just put the old earplugs in and tune everything else out.

Btw....I am an XM devotee, and I have a cd player in my car. Heck, I even have a cd recorder so I can burn my records and listen to them when I'm driving.

Nice try at generalizing me.

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 04:44 PM

Yep, you know me...I hate new music: but really what on earth is the difference between Do Make Say Think Explosions in the Sky I'm Post Rock and I Will Bore the Bowels Out of You and every other Post Rock Oinkster Pudweed tinkering with his computer software and calling it music?

I love the internet and I love free stuff and I love the good bands I find, like Menomena, Alasdair Roberts, Animal Collective, Hella, Black Dice, Grizzly Bear.

No doubt, there is some splendid stuff out there--but there's no discrimination among anyone on sites that link megaupload stuff, so I spend time sifting through crap that I've downloaded on my mp3. Jesus, I'm not 22 and living at home--my time is precious!

So--"men of taste," save me!

vaticanplum
10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Music is music no matter how it's gotten. The form in which it comes is really just trimming, except to a small number of people for whom the differences in sound quality or the nature of the packaged artwork is crucial. I've resisted digital music out of sheer laziness and an attachment to trimmings, but I wish I wasn't that way. In the end the music is the same.

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 04:55 PM
:confused: Didn't see it.

Whatever....That video was posted as a dig at me, which is fine.

Problem is, you're drawing an image of me as some kinda trendster hipster guy and that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Nice try at generalizing me.

Actually the video (which you didn't see) had zero to do with you, as did my comments.

I made a joke about having a record player in my car. The Baumer posted the video spoof about having a record player in your car. The entire thing had nothing at all to do with you. I was commenting on the dude in the video (hence the reference to the records falling out of the sun-visor).

Nice try at interjecting yourself into mini-cyber-conversation that had nothing to do with you or your world.

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Music is music no matter how it's gotten. The form in which it comes is really just trimming, except to a small number of people for whom the differences in sound quality or the nature of the packaged artwork is crucial. I've resisted digital music out of sheer laziness and an attachment to trimmings, but I wish I wasn't that way. In the end the music is the same.

I agree. I don't give a hoot how I get music--I just think democracy's overrated.

wheels
10-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Actually the video (which you didn't see) had zero to do with you, as did my comments.

I made a joke about having a record player in my car. The Baumer posted the video spoof about having a record player in your car. The entire thing had nothing at all to do with you. I was commenting on the dude in the video (hence the reference to the records falling out of the sun-visor).

Nice try at interjecting yourself into mini-cyber-conversation that had nothing to do with you or your world.

Oh, I thought that quoting me and replying to me meant that you were talking to me.

I mean, you did quote me when you talked about putting a turntable in your car, so I thought that meant you were talking to me.

There was also a video posted portraying someone with records falling out of a car visor after you made the same type of comment when you were replying to me.

If that had nothing to do with me, it sure seemed like it.

No worries. I should know better than to gripe about computer programs while on a computer message board anyway. :p:

Like I said, my personality is not one for the masses.

paintmered
10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Any form of l33t or IM speak.

wheels
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Believe me.

I wish I could change, but I'm hard wired. I don't know what I'm gonna do when books become outdated.

Ltlabner
10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh, I thought that quoting me and replying to me meant that you were talking to me.

I mean, you did quote me when you talked about putting a turntable in your car, so I thought that meant you were talking to me.

There was also a video posted portraying someone with records falling out of a car visor after you made the same type of comment when you were replying to me..

Dude, get over yourself.

I replied to you and made a joke about a record player in the car. The Baumer responded to me with a link to a movie clip about the same subject. I then replied to him saying that said movie clip was funny and that the dude in it was trying to be hip.

Figure it out. The conversation moved on and was no longer about you.

Now move along.

SeeinRed
10-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Crocs. Now they have those damn things you put in the holes for decoration. My G/F told me those were created so that the creators daughter could wear her crocs in the cold!?! Collective IQ may be raising, but common sense is droping. Heres a thought, WEAR REGULAR SHOES DURING THE WINTER!! Are they really that great? Men wear them now too! Forget sandals, crocs are a crock!

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Crocs. Now they have those damn things you put in the holes for decoration. My G/F told me those were created so that the creators daughter could wear her crocs in the cold!?! Collective IQ may be raising, but common sense is droping. Heres a thought, WEAR REGULAR SHOES DURING THE WINTER!! Are they really that great? Men wear them now too! Forget sandals, crocs are a crock!

I'm not sure what Crocs are, but I'm getting angry just thinking about them.

KronoRed
10-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm a big fan of crocs, now not the 30 dollar a pair you get at the mall, the 4 dollar junk you can get at Target, I keep a pair near the back door so I don't have to put on my regular shoes to take out the trash or feed the bird, just cheap shoes that go on and off easily, as for winter? well I'd skip them if it was snowing ;)

Also apparently popular with the Nurses and Doctors, after spending a bunch of time at hospitals in the last year I was amazed at how often I saw them on the staff.

KronoRed
10-23-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure what Crocs are, but I'm getting angry just thinking about them.

http://www.sailingangles.com/prodimg/crocs.jpg

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 06:34 PM
http://www.sailingangles.com/prodimg/crocs.jpg

Thanks. I'm less angry about them. I wouldn't want to try to sneak up behind someone and cut their throat wearing those.

KronoRed
10-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Well, they are pretty quiet...

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, they are pretty quiet...

Once I tried to kill someone with a clown nose on. :thumbdown

TeamCasey
10-23-2007, 07:07 PM
I hear they're good for your back. I talked to an electrician whose doctor recommended them. He said he'll never buy workboots again. Loves them.

I haven't tried them. The bumpy soles don't look comfy.

RFS62
10-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Once I tried to kill someone with a clown nose on. :thumbdown

You were wearing the clown nose, or the person you were trying to kill was wearing one?

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 07:47 PM
You were wearing the clown nose, or the person you were trying to kill was wearing one?

Both.

I was a jealous circus understudy.

RFS62
10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Both.

I was a jealous circus understudy.

Awesome.

Your stage name wasn't Binky, was it?

http://www.fanboyplanet.com/interviews/images/binky.jpg

vaticanplum
10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
I hear they're good for your back. I talked to an electrician whose doctor recommended them. He said he'll never buy workboots again. Loves them.

My mother always told me "suffer for beauty". Which in present-day trendspeak translates to "no crocs".

WMR
10-23-2007, 08:01 PM
My mother always told me "suffer for beauty". Which in present-day trendspeak translates to "no crocs".

That's funny! :D :laugh:

KronoRed
10-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Makeup is better then back surgery :cool:

vaticanplum
10-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Makeup is better then back surgery :cool:

But caveats are needed here. Most bad backs have less to do with shoes than they do with posture. And flat shoes like crocs are really likely to make people slump over and collapse into their stomachs, which leads to bad backs.

A whole lot of the problems of the world could be solved by good posture, and when women complain about wearing high heels their posture is often to blame. Me personally, if you can't walk a hundred-pound dog in at least 2-inch heels, I don't particularly want to know you. Not really. Well kinda.

Yachtzee
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
But caveats are needed here. Most bad backs have less to do with shoes than they do with posture. And flat shoes like crocs are really likely to make people slump over and collapse into their stomachs, which leads to bad backs.

A whole lot of the problems of the world could be solved by good posture, and when women complain about wearing high heels their posture is often to blame. Me personally, if you can't walk a hundred-pound dog in at least 2-inch heels, I don't particularly want to know you. Not really. Well kinda.

I'll personally spend over $150 for a pair of shoes. I like my shoes to be stylish, yet comfortable. Good shoes make you feel good and, at least for me, they make me stand up straighter.

Falls City Beer
10-23-2007, 09:39 PM
I'll personally spend over $150 for a pair of shoes. I like my shoes to be stylish, yet comfortable. Good shoes make you feel good and, at least for me, they make me stand up straighter.

I'm that way about pants. If they aren't cut right, they look like crap and I won't wear them. I like skinny-man pants. Because I'm tall and thin. If they are baggy in the least, I look like a tool. I've been known to shell out some stomach-turning cash for the right pair of pants.

GAC
10-23-2007, 09:59 PM

Do like I did..... switch to 8-tracks!

MWM
10-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Wheels, help me understand something. It seems like your "disdain" is a contradiction in and of itself in that you like records. Anything short of live music is delivering music through the use of techology. Whether it's a record player or an iPod is pretty much the same thing. The music itself is the same. It was played at some previous date in a studio, so it's still pre-fabricated and not the real thing. The only difference as I see it is that the quality of one is markedly better than the other.

So unless you're bemoaning the proliferation of recorded music, I don't see how you have a point. You're still my boy and all, but I'm really confused here.

SunDeck
10-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I just had a great conversation about this last week with a musician I know. He swears that the compression used in making mp3 causes drops- basically losses of highs and lows. He said several of his friends have heard them. He said first generation digital was terrible in that regard and in his opinion it was far inferior to vinyl, but that it was much better today than it was back then. We didn't talk about whether vinyl was superior in any way to digital recording today.

SunDeck
10-23-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm sick of drought right about now. This has been one awful year for a lot of people.

RichRed
10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
jealous circus understudy.

Great band name.

10-24-2007, 02:48 AM
I just had a great conversation about this last week with a musician I know. He swears that the compression used in making mp3 causes drops- basically losses of highs and lows. He said several of his friends have heard them. He said first generation digital was terrible in that regard and in his opinion it was far inferior to vinyl, but that it was much better today than it was back then. We didn't talk about whether vinyl was superior in any way to digital recording today.

Alot of live shows on http://www.dimeadozen.org/ and http://bt.etree.org/ have requests on them not to convert them to mp3 do to the loss.

Jpup
10-24-2007, 04:40 AM

Nissan Titan.

westofyou
10-24-2007, 11:03 AM

Neil Young hates MP3s for the exact reason, I believe it's in the ear of the beholder, some folks hear that stuff, most don't.

texasdave
10-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Neil Young hates MP3s for the exact reason, I believe it's in the ear of the beholder, some folks hear that stuff, most don't.

And stay off Neil's lawn. :)

westofyou
10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
And stay off Neil's lawn. :)

Unfortunately he doesn't have a lawn, he lives on a ranch off Skyline Blvd above Palo Alto, those houses don't have lawns, they tend to have too many Redwoods for grass to grow.

Falls City Beer
10-24-2007, 11:21 AM

I can hear the compression in about 90% of the cases; I just don't care.

TeamCasey
10-24-2007, 06:11 PM
The news dumbing America down even further with this "new superbug called "mersa"".

It's M-R-S-A.

Antibacterial resistant staphylococcus aureus.

It's why I get so annoyed when doctors prescribe antibiotics for colds.

SeeinRed
10-24-2007, 06:23 PM
The news dumbing America down even further with this "new superbug called "mersa"".

It's M-R-S-A.

The problem isn't only the doctors. I know a lot of people who think antibiotics cure everything. People sometimes just won't let the doctors do their job. How many people do you know that think they know more than the doctor. There is a reason they are called doctors. Conversly, how many times do you hear about doctors that will give you medicine for anything? Those still exist also. Especially the ones that have been around for a while.

Yachtzee
10-24-2007, 06:33 PM
The problem isn't only the doctors. I know a lot of people who think antibiotics cure everything. People sometimes just won't let the doctors do their job. How many people do you know that think they know more than the doctor. There is a reason they are called doctors. Conversly, how many times do you hear about doctors that will give you medicine for anything? Those still exist also. Especially the ones that have been around for a while.

That's what I like about my doctor. Very conservative in treating things with antibiotics.

gonelong
10-25-2007, 12:52 PM

It's M-R-S-A.

I know a handful of people in the medical field that call it "mersa".

I don't see it as any different than saying SCUBA.

I was trying to remember the other day if I have ever taken antibiotics for anything. I had the Measels in high school, but I don't think I have been to the doctor for anything outside of regular checkups since. I am not sure I would have gotten antibiotics for that or not.

GL

jimbo
10-25-2007, 01:14 PM

Well said. I just wish more people would educate themselves a bit more on subjects that relate to their health. All people have to do is some minimal research to find out what exactly antibiotics do and how using them too much can have implications down the road.

Unassisted
10-25-2007, 05:22 PM
I read an article today that said higher-waisted jeans are coming back in style. Article said they will reduce the incidence of "muffin tops." I was surprised to see that term in the media, considering I learned it in this thread.

SeeinRed
10-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I read an article today that said higher-waisted jeans are coming back in style. Article said they will reduce the incidence of "muffin tops." I was surprised to see that term in the media, considering I learned it in this thread.

As a guy, I hate it. As a boyfriend who has to police his g/f's clothing because she likes to keep up on the fashion, it can't get here fast enough. I might be old fashioned, but she is in a relationship. Why does she have to wear clothes like that anymore? Maybe I just have jealousy issues, but I hate when I see a guy looking at her when she has something "hangin out." She gets mad at me because I will get confrontational about it when a guy does it. Then she acts like there isn't a problem and nothing shows. Seriously, when did this become normal? One time she had a "close guy friend" look straight down her shirt in front of me while she was giving him a hug. I had to be held back. What kind of guy does that? I don't oogle at girls while their boyfriends are around. Thats just plain disrespectful. She then tried to tell me he wouldn't do something like that. Then she told me it was OK because they were friends and thats how they used to treat her when she was single. What good friends she had. She is one of those girls I hate. She does it because she likes guys looking at her. It makes her feel "wanted" she says. She won't be wanted by me if that crap keeps happening I tell her. Anyway, thats my rant for today. Its funny because I can't even imagine being a dad right now. All they have to go through with their daughters and clothes... No thanks. I'd probably shoot someone. Heres to you fathers of teenage girls. :beerme:

WMR
10-25-2007, 05:37 PM
As a guy, I hate it. As a boyfriend who has to police his g/f's clothing because she likes to keep up on the fashion, it can't get here fast enough. I might be old fashioned, but she is in a relationship. Why does she have to wear clothes like that anymore? Maybe I just have jealousy issues, but I hate when I see a guy looking at her when she has something "hangin out." She gets mad at me because I will get confrontational about it when a guy does it. Then she acts like there isn't a problem and nothing shows. Seriously, when did this become normal? One time she had a "close guy friend" look straight down her shirt in front of me while she was giving him a hug. I had to be held back. What kind of guy does that? I don't oogle at girls while their boyfriends are around. Thats just plain disrespectful. She then tried to tell me he wouldn't do something like that. Then she told me it was OK because they were friends and thats how they used to treat her when she was single. What good friends she had. She is one of those girls I hate. She does it because she likes guys looking at her. It makes her feel "wanted" she says. She won't be wanted by me if that crap keeps happening I tell her. Anyway, thats my rant for today. Its funny because I can't even imagine being a dad right now. All they have to go through with their daughters and clothes... No thanks. I'd probably shoot someone. Heres to you fathers of teenage girls. :beerme:

Calm down.

Take it as a compliment when some dude checks out your chick. If all he does is look, going after him makes you look like a hot-headed jerk.

10-25-2007, 06:45 PM

Apt user name, dude.;)

SeeinRed
10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Apt user name, dude.;)

LOL. Yeah, definately jealousy issues.....

SunDeck
10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Maybe I just have jealousy issues...

Ya think? ;)

Seriously, if the relationship's strong don't sweat it. What are those guys going to do, take her away? Let 'em ogle her and keep saying to yourself, "I know what's underneath the wrapping paper dude and you never will."

Or punch one of them out, starting with the guy friend.

Your choice, brother.

Back on topic, I'm sick of ultimate fighting. Haven't seen but one or two rounds of it and I'm sick of it. Fighting in a ring should not involve wrapping yourself around a man with your legs and letting him walk around with you hanging off of him. Stand up and duke it out, I say.

camisadelgolf
10-25-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm probably one of those guys who has done that to your girlfriend. I do it all the time. I really mean no offense by it. The way I see it, it's just like looking at someone's shoes or whatever. If women don't want me looking down their shirts, they should make themselves less attractive or stop bending over or whatever. It's a free country, and I'm not complaining about all the people who stare at my body.

pahster
10-25-2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe I just have jealousy issues...

"Maybe?"

Yachtzee
10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Back to the topic. This isn't really a new trend, but it really bugs me when people think its cool to drop half of a word. Words like "vacay" and "refi" are like fingernails on the chalkboard, especially since it seems to me like they're most popular with aging hipsters trying to hold on to that last shred of youthful "coolness." When you're 40, you really shouldn't be trying to talk like an 18 yr old party girl.

Jaycint
10-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Wow, where to begin?

Dude, she is with you. Have some confidence in your relationship. I have had this conversation with my friends before about guys like that that want to throw down just because we check out your girl. It's comical. At the end of the day she is going home with you, no matter how many guys check out the package. I am happily married and love and respect my wife. When we are out somewhere I have no problem with other dudes checking her out, I take it as a compliment. You should too, you have a good looking girl. Not all guys are so lucky.

If you really value this relationship you may want to re-evaluate the overprotective roid rage stuff with other guys checking out your girl. You got a girl that's hot enough that other guys take a look. If you keep making a huge issue of it you may not have her for long. Girls don't like being put in a little box and hidden away. It boils down to security, be secure in your relationship and the trust between the two of you, then all the other petty stuff falls off to the wayside.

Yachtzee
10-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Apt user name, dude.;)

Maybe he should try decaf, or find a nice girl in a burqa.

Falls City Beer
10-25-2007, 08:51 PM
My wife is a MILF.

Shhh. Don't tell her I said that.

remdog
10-25-2007, 09:06 PM
My wife is a MILF.

And she's probably beeming inside about that. :thumbup:

Rem

vaticanplum
10-25-2007, 09:29 PM
What's an MILF? Wow, I'm feeling very behind in this thread.

Seeinred, your girlfriend isn't your property. Other guys are going to check her out. That's life. If you can't deal, find an ugly girl. If you like your girl, learn to deal. She's with you, isn't she? Even if she did in fact test drive some cars before you guys got together, you're the one she drove off the lot. Take confidence in that and enjoy a nice bottle of wine together.

vaticanplum
10-25-2007, 09:35 PM
What's an MILF?

Scratch that, I looked it up in the urban dictionary. I believe the family friendly term for your wife is "yummy mummy".

deltachi8
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

vaticanplum
10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm that way about pants. If they aren't cut right, they look like crap and I won't wear them. I like skinny-man pants. Because I'm tall and thin. If they are baggy in the least, I look like a tool. I've been known to shell out some stomach-turning cash for the right pair of pants.

I feel that way about jeans. Good jeans can change your life.

I don't wear pants/jeans very often, but when I do, chances are I've shelled out absurd money for them too. But they last forever and they love me unconditionally. There are a very few trends that are worth it.

GAC
10-25-2007, 09:57 PM
How many people are hooked on their debit cards?

Falls City Beer
10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I feel that way about jeans. Good jeans can change your life.

I don't wear pants/jeans very often, but when I do, chances are I've shelled out absurd money for them too. But they last forever and they love me unconditionally. There are a very few trends that are worth it.

I haven't worn jeans since I was 15. I look like a cretin in them.

Yachtzee
10-25-2007, 10:04 PM

I am not at all sick of the debit card trend. It's actually quite annoying when you get stuck in the check out line at the grocery because someone's writing a check AND getting money back.

deltachi8
10-25-2007, 10:19 PM

dont use mine. I stick with the rewards visa credit card.

BUT, same effect, i rarely, if ever, have cash on me.

GAC
10-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I am not at all sick of the debit card trend. It's actually quite annoying when you get stuck in the check out line at the grocery because someone's writing a check AND getting money back.

I hear ya!

And I'm totally hooked on internet banking. I can't remember when the last time it was that I bought stamps and had to mail out a bill? :lol:

remdog
10-25-2007, 10:36 PM
I can't remember when the last time it was that I bought stamps and had to mail out a bill? :lol:

I can easily remember the last time I bought stamps. Unfortunately, it was the last time they raised rates. I've now used all of two of those twenty stamps----although these are the ones that are supposed to be good no matter what the rate rises to.

Rem

KronoRed
10-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Cash is filthy, go debit cards.

remdog
10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Cash is filthy, go debit cards.

Cash is quicker. (Despite all of the styalized commercials that Visa runs.)

I use cash in places like grocery stores, dry cleaners, starbucks etc. Debit cards or credit cards in places like hotels, sit-down restaurants, department stores, etc.

Rem

Highlifeman21
10-25-2007, 10:50 PM
My wife is a MILF.

If she's your wife, wouldn't that make her something other than a MILF? A WILF, or something? Maybe she still can be a MILF to you, while being your wife. There's gotta be a rule about this somewhere.

SunDeck
10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
I'm sick of the term MILF. Can't my wife just be a babe? I like that- she's Babraham Lincoln, Wayne.

Yachtzee
10-26-2007, 12:24 AM
I'm sick of the term MILF. Can't my wife just be a babe? I like that- she's Babraham Lincoln, Wayne.

What about "Operation: Hot Mom?"

http://z.about.com/d/tvcomedies/1/0/6/-/-/-/michael_buster_112_72.jpg

WMR
10-26-2007, 12:26 AM

aaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Man I miss that show.

How amazing would it have been if it had moved to Showtime as rumored? Can you imagine that show uncensored?? :lol:

Falls City Beer
10-26-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm sick of the term MILF.

Sort of what I was aiming for.

I wanted to say something to lighten the whole "don't check out my girlfriend" ambience. It was getting a little heavy.

But my wife is quite beautiful.

camisadelgolf
10-26-2007, 04:51 PM
I love beautiful women. Is your wife single?

sonny
10-26-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't like the term "No worries" I don't know why though. Just rubs me the wrong way.

Unassisted
10-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Since it's laundry day at my house and I do most of the laundry, I thought of a trend I could do without that hasn't been mentioned yet.

Layered clothing. My oldest insists on wearing 2 or 3 shirts at a time. Since the rest of the family wears shirts one at a time on most days, that habit really makes him stand out as a generator of dirty clothes!

SunDeck
10-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I love beautiful women. Is your wife single?

I'm beginning to sympathize with SeeinRed. :D

GAC
10-26-2007, 08:24 PM
I love beautiful women.

Who doesn't?

Unless this does something for you :lol:

http://www.autographedtoyou.com/CelebPics/ruth_buzzi1.jpg

Danny Serafini
10-26-2007, 09:25 PM
My cousin had a child with someone who looks very close to the person in that picture. *shudder*

camisadelgolf
10-27-2007, 10:31 AM
My cousin had a child with someone who looks very close to the person in that picture. *shudder*

Wow. So is your cousin female, or is he/she male?

Eric in IL
10-27-2007, 10:44 AM
After working 12 hours of the overnight shift I'm in rant mode:

If I live to be 100, I'll never understand people wearing stocking caps indoors. I just don't get it. It looks so silly.

Alright- thank you. Now back to lurk mode....

Razor Shines
10-27-2007, 10:56 AM

I hate to be "that guy", but when it comes to that show I am. It was "Operation Hot Mother". Thank You. :evil:

Danny Serafini
10-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow. So is your cousin female, or is he/she male?

My cousin is a guy, and his woman looked pretty darn close to that.

MaineRed
10-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I hate the signatures that people have in their post that are longer than their typical post.

Razor Shines
10-28-2007, 03:21 AM
I hate the signatures that people have in their post that are longer than their typical post.

Like who?

wheels
10-28-2007, 12:40 PM
Dreadlocks under the football helmet.

It's a bad look, fellas, and getting your hair pulled doesn't seem like it would feel very nice.

MWM
10-28-2007, 12:49 PM
The Heisman trophy winner having to be on a top tier team. I totally get that an MVP in a professional league, by definition, should probably playin on a contending team. That makes sense. But college football is so different. The Heisman is supposed to go to the most outstanding player in the country. That has nothing to do with how good the team is. But the media has turned it into an MVP. I hate that. It's something college football always had that made it unique. They didn't have an MVP, they had the Heisman. I'd like to see it start going to the most outstanding player, even if the team stinks.

gm
10-31-2007, 12:48 AM

Two words: bed liner

Countless times I have had to sit and watch the light cycle through the arrow without being able to go because the driver in the car in front of me has felt the need to leave this obligatory gap between himmself and the car in front of him

Get yourself a big truck and make your own turn lane.

You can't afford to back off and leave space in front of your car, anymore. That just gives the driver in the "other" lane enough room to squeeze in ahead of you. Then if you're nice and back off of his vehicle you'll wind up being cut off so many times you'll miss the light and be late to work. My advice: follow close and stay alert.

gm
10-31-2007, 01:17 AM
I don't like the term "No worries" I don't know why though. Just rubs me the wrong way.

That's a saying from down under, mate. Not a big fan of Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin, eh?

sonny
10-31-2007, 03:50 AM
That's a saying from down under, mate. Not a big fan of Crocodile Dundee and Steve Irwin, eh?

Well, I had a Subaru, FWIW. But can't say I'm a huge fan of either of those two. No worries though, right?

camisadelgolf
10-31-2007, 06:35 AM
Down under, do they ever say just, "Worries."? If not, I bet they would after watching the Bengals defense.

gm
10-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Down under, do they ever say just, "Worries."? If not, I bet they would after watching the Bengals defense.

IIRC, the opposing term for "no worries" is "by crikey!"

WMR
11-03-2007, 02:06 AM
When you're shopping on a merchant web site and they make you add a product to your "shopping cart" in order to see the actual price they're selling it for. I mean, seriously, what genius decided this tactic would increase product sales?

OldRightHander
11-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I'll add another one to this list. Those people dressed up in silly mascot costumes standing outside apartment complexes. Is someone really more likely to rent there if they have a giant chicken standing outside on the corner?

paintmered
11-05-2007, 12:20 AM
It's not exactly a new trend, but holiday commercials are starting earlier each year.

This year I saw holiday Garmin commercials a few days before Halloween.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Reading a thread that's really interesting and then getting ready to reply before realizing......nevermind

GAC
11-05-2007, 08:20 AM
I saw two girls yesterday at the video store with their midriffs showing. Attractive girls, but they both had guts. One was pregnant. Again - what is appealing in this? http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/confused013.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

durl
11-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Commercials that call it "holiday" rather than "Christmas." I've started making an effort to not shop at stores whose TV commercials avoid mentioning Christmas (which is hard these days.) I figure if they don't have the guts to use the word "Christmas," they must not want the money I spend on "Christmas" presents. ;)

LoganBuck
11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Commercials that call it "holiday" rather than "Christmas." I've started making an effort to not shop at stores whose TV commercials avoid mentioning Christmas (which is hard these days.) I figure if they don't have the guts to use the word "Christmas," they must not want the money I spend on "Christmas" presents. ;)

While on principle I agree with you, I don't have a problem with this. Many people buy things this time of year and it does avoid the problem of disturbing those that don't celebrate Christmas. At the very least most people acknowledge New Years Day.

Tony Cloninger
11-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Being a man who has hair on his chest....not Burt Reynolds circa 1975....but about close to that......having the trend for the last 5-10 years or so of men shaving every inch of their body hair really get's to me.

I am told women like this.....heck most of them have grown up on it beacuse fashion and now movies ( "300" ) have shoved it down their throats that men should no longer have hair anywhere.
I am almost self-conscious now about having to bare my chest in public...but i will not shave. I will not turn into a woman no matter how much these women want me to. I know why men in the fashion magazines began sporting that look in the 80's. It was a look for a specific group of men. Does that mean i have to suffer for being half-Italian?

Also people at work who basically demand you wear a costume and go with a theme.......good grief...leave me alone and let me decide....don't guilt me into this.

TeamCasey
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
It's not exactly a new trend, but holiday commercials are starting earlier each year.

This year I saw holiday Garmin commercials a few days before Halloween.

Our Walgreens had Christmas crap up 2 weeks BEFORE Halloween.

Hate that.

TeamCasey
11-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Being a man who has hair on his chest....not Burt Reynolds circa 1975....but about close to that......having the trend for the last 5-10 years or so of men shaving every inch of their body hair really get's to me.

I am told women like this.....heck most of them have grown up on it beacuse fashion and now movies ( "300" ) have shoved it down their throats that men should no longer have hair anywhere.
I am almost self-conscious now about having to bare my chest in public...but i will not shave. I will not turn into a woman no matter how much these women want me to. I know why men in the fashion magazines began sporting that look in the 80's. It was a look for a specific group of men. Does that mean i have to suffer for being half-Italian?

Also people at work who basically demand you wear a costume and go with a theme.......good grief...leave me alone and let me decide....don't guilt me into this.

Welcome to our world! The same world where anorexia is sexy.

Falls City Beer
11-05-2007, 03:59 PM

It's like Species.

Tony Cloninger
11-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Not for me.....Twiggy and Kate Moss blows......guys who like that really must have some issue when it comes to what a woman should look like and their own....man issues.

Give me a Catherine Zeta-Jones.....that brunette from JAG.

Falls City Beer
11-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Not for me.....Twiggy and Kate Moss blows......guys who like that really must have some issue when it comes to what a woman should look like and their own....man issues.

Give me a Catherine Zeta-Jones.....that brunette from JAG.

I've yet to meet a man who likes a woman as thin as the praying mantis that TC posted.

Ltlabner
11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
It's not particularly new, but the trend of every store on the planet offering you a rewards program card drives me banannas. Its not so much them asking if I have a such-and-such rewards card when I check out, it's when they launch into the "well, if you join our spiffy rewards program then you'll save X% on your next 15 purchases" and generally try to hard sell you how joining this program will solve world hunger, make me more popular with the ladies and help me lose weight.

First of all, I find a 17 year old checkout clerk trying to "sell" anything rather laughable. But it's the lecture as to why I *must* have this card or risk total ostricisim from society I find totally annoying.

Ltlabner
11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
When you're shopping on a merchant web site and they make you add a product to your "shopping cart" in order to see the actual price they're selling it for. I mean, seriously, what genius decided this tactic would increase product sales?

Totally agree WMR. Not sure when that started but it is annoying. Also is the "on-line store" that doesn't let you order anything on line. It's usually niche specialty items from a small retailer. But when I find that special treasure on the web it really blows to have to then call or fax in an order. Not a real big deal, but annoying none the less.

westofyou
11-05-2007, 04:40 PM
It's not particularly new, but the trend of every store on the planet offering you a rewards program card drives me banannas. Its not so much them asking if I have a such-and-such rewards card when I check out, it's when they launch into the "well, if you join our spiffy rewards program then you'll save X% on your next 15 purchases" and generally try to hard sell you how joining this program will solve world hunger, make me more popular with the ladies and help me lose weight.

First of all, I find a 17 year old checkout clerk trying to "sell" anything rather laughable. But it's the lecture as to why I *must* have this card or risk total ostricisim from society I find totally annoying.
I just finished a gig designing the interface to a promotions tool that manages the rewards rules and particulars for Subways Reward cards... better get used to it they aren't going away an d they'll probably get even more prevalent in the smaller store scenario as vendors will spend more time mining loyalty from their regulars.

Ltlabner
11-05-2007, 04:48 PM
I just finished a gig designing the interface to a promotions tool that manages the rewards rules and particulars for Subways Reward cards... better get used to it they aren't going away an d they'll probably get even more prevalent in the smaller store scenario as vendors will spend more time mining loyalty from their regulars.

Like I said, I don't mind that they ask me if I have a rewards/promotional card. I just wish they'd accept "no" as an answer and not try to convice me I can't live without the card.

I have lots of rewards cards for programs that actually do something for me (mostly travel related ones). But I'd rather the pimply face kid running the cash register let me decide which ones I want/need.

Caveat Emperor
11-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Like I said, I don't mind that they ask me if I have a rewards/promotional card. I just wish they'd accept "no" as an answer and not try to convice me I can't live without the card.

I actually don't shop at Kroger's anymore because of their idiotic pricing structure. If you're going to give a discounted price, give the discounted price -- don't make it contingent on signing up for some value card that allows them to sell my personal data to marketers.

They lost me as a customer the minute they told me that my business was worth less to them than the guy who goes to customer service to sign up for a card.

paintmered
11-05-2007, 07:00 PM
I actually don't shop at Kroger's anymore because of their idiotic pricing structure. If you're going to give a discounted price, give the discounted price -- don't make it contingent on signing up for some value card that allows them to sell my personal data to marketers.

They lost me as a customer the minute they told me that my business was worth less to them than the guy who goes to customer service to sign up for a card.

You sound like you wrote Meijer's latest round of radio advertisements.

remdog
11-05-2007, 07:54 PM

Yep. A pet peeve of mine. Ya' want me to buy groceries from your store give me the best price. I shouldn't need a 'special' card to get a 'special' price from you---especially if anyone can be 'special' just by signing up!

So, the paradox/dilemma here in Southern Cal is that just about every grocery store uses this system. Ergo, thre is no advantage to being in their system except that anyone not in their system is 'special' in the sense that they are charged more! Great!

Rem

BUTLER REDSFAN
11-05-2007, 08:18 PM
not to start an anti-kroger rant but i've never understood what is so great about them..my wife has bought groceries from meijers for many years..she says kroger's prices are outrageous..the few times she goes to krogers she says she can almost get twice as much at meijers for the same price

vaticanplum
11-05-2007, 08:59 PM
People have begun to say "literally" when they mean the exact opposite of literally. Literally.

vaticanplum
11-05-2007, 09:03 PM
not to start an anti-kroger rant but i've never understood what is so great about them..my wife has bought groceries from meijers for many years..she says kroger's prices are outrageous..the few times she goes to krogers she says she can almost get twice as much at meijers for the same price

As a true pricing *****, I can tell you that this depends. If you're shopping for many people, you're generally going to do better at a place like Meijer or biggs. They will do well by you with quantities. However, stores like Kroger will often compete for the smaller, more non-necessity items -- sometimes because of their "price clubs" and sometimes just straight-up. I do most of my shopping at biggs, but when I have the time and energy and not so much the money, I can tell you exactly what items I can get cheaper at biggs and which ones I can get cheaper at Kroger. When I lived in bigger cities I would go to eight stores for ten items if I had to. Different stores have better deals on different things, and there are inconsistent disparities in quality too.

GAC
11-05-2007, 09:36 PM

I think store prices are regionally-priced depending on the local economy/household incomes. When we lived in Columbus we found that the Krogers and Big Bears had much higher prices in areas like Dublin, in comparison to places like Westerville.

We love the Krogers here in Bellefontaine. Have shopped there for over 20 years. But since they built a WalMart Supercenter right next door Krogers has realy slashed prices in order to remain competitive. We thought they'd end up going under; but it's been several years and they're doing fine.

GAC
11-05-2007, 09:41 PM

That is something that really eats at me with today's younger woman, and I also feel empathy.... this obsession to be so thin. The modeling industry, as well as many Hollywood actresses, are promoting anorexia IMO.

Yachtzee
11-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Don't mind it so much now that Giant Eagle offers $.10/gallon rebates on gas for every $50 I spend. The kickback on baby diapers and formula alone score me plenty of free tanks of gas and the competition with Acme (another grocery chain), Walmart and Marcs (a discount "cash/check" only store) keeps prices low, so I'm not losing the $.10 kickback on gas to higher grocery prices.

Caveat Emperor
11-05-2007, 09:53 PM
I've yet to meet a man who likes a woman as thin as the praying mantis that TC posted.

True that.

I can safely say that nobody I know would pay that kind of girl any attention in a bar, other than to note that she looks like she could use a trip to the buffet.

There's definitely a pressure to be thin in this country. In fact, obesity has become the new bogeyman for the media and advocacy groups -- replacing other "vice" behaviors like smoking and drinking. However, the days of rail-thin = sexy are long gone, if they ever existed in the first place.

camisadelgolf
11-06-2007, 04:22 AM
People have begun to say "literally" when they mean the exact opposite of literally. Literally.

This drives me up the wall (but not literally). The other thing that's been bothering me is people who misuse words like 'definitely'.

"Are you coming to the movie later?"
"Oh, definitely."

. . . and then there's probably a 50% chance or so of the person not coming to the movies. When you misuse a word like 'definitely', then all the other words get screwed up. 'definitely' becomes 'probably'. 'probably' becomes 'maybe'. 'maybe' becomes 'probably not'. 'probably not' becomes 'definitely not'. And then you have nothing left for 'definitely', and nothing is definite anymore.

Roy Tucker
11-06-2007, 09:30 AM

I'm a bit of a stickler about using the right words in the right way and this drives me crazy too.

However, this usage seems entrenched. I'd seen it misused so often, I questioned whether or not I knew what the darn word meant. From www.dictionary.com on "literally"...

—Usage note Since the early 20th century, literally has been widely used as an intensifier meaning “in effect, virtually,” a sense that contradicts the earlier meaning “actually, without exaggeration”: The senator was literally buried alive in the Iowa primaries. The parties were literally trading horses in an effort to reach a compromise. The use is often criticized; nevertheless, it appears in all but the most carefully edited writing. Although this use of literally irritates some, it probably neither distorts nor enhances the intended meaning of the sentences in which it occurs. The same might often be said of the use of literally in its earlier sense “actually”: The garrison was literally wiped out: no one survived.

gm
11-07-2007, 12:10 AM
"You need to upgrade your Flash Player to properly view this content."

Caveat Emperor
11-07-2007, 12:25 AM
"You need to upgrade your Flash Player to properly view this content."

And then that content is an advertisement that expands out, pushing the page down, and the shrinks back, pulling the page back up as you're trying to read it.

Or...if you're REALLY lucky, an ad that grows and takes over the page, forcing you to find the little "X" somewhere that makes it go away before you accidentally click it and are navigated to another page.

Oh how I love thee, Flash.

Yachtzee
11-07-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm a bit of a stickler about using the right words in the right way and this drives me crazy too.

However, this usage seems entrenched. I'd seen it misused so often, I questioned whether or not I knew what the darn word meant. From www.dictionary.com on "literally"...

It's funny. I've heard it used by English folks way more than Americans, pronounced "lit-trah-lee," so expect to see that usage in the OED in time.

westofyou
11-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Oh how I love thee, Flash.

Even worse is folks seem to think that it's easier to manage a site with Flash then without it.

It's not easier to manage.

Flash is now better as an application tool, not a presentation tool.

SunDeck
11-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm sick of ticket prices and professional athletes making a gimillion dollars a year. I'm sick of NFL, MLB and NCAA squeezing every last buck out of sports and I wonder how long it will be until it is impossible to view any sporting event except kids soccer at the local pitch without having to have a subscription to it.

Roy Tucker
11-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm sick of ticket prices and professional athletes making a gimillion dollars a year. I'm sick of NFL, MLB and NCAA squeezing every last buck out of sports and I wonder how long it will be until it is impossible to view any sporting event except kids soccer at the local pitch without having to have a subscription to it.

Amen, brother.

The Big Ten Network, Time Warner, NFL Network, Dish Network, etc. can all stick it as far as I'm concerned. Y'all have pushed it to the end of this customer's limits.

I do have options here. I can turn off my TV set. And I do that more often now. I can (and do) find something else to do.

MWM
11-07-2007, 02:46 PM
While we're talking about ticket prices, I HATE the trend since the rise of the internet where ticket brokers gobble up all the face value tickets to popular events then sell them online for multiple times higher than face. This is so freaking ridiculous. The people who are earning all this extra money have nothing to do with the event that's being put on. So a lot of the cash being forked out to go to these events aren't making into the pockets of those who should be profiting from it.

This seems pretty much like a racket to me.

LoganBuck
11-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Prerecorded political messages coming into my house by phone. My wife belongs to a union, and we both have registered political affiliation and before any election we must get bombarded by both sides.

Also the new vote scanners, light up and beep if you don't vote for everything. I skip voting for all uncontested races and you should have seen the look on the poll workers' faces. You would have thought I was going to bring down the entire political system.

SunDeck
11-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Here's one-
Family photographers making the entire family sit on the floor. What is up with that? We went to a photographer last night and he said, "Okay, let's get dad down on the floor and we'll build around him."

The only photos we bought were the ones of our kids because the ones with the whole family hanging onto dad looked ridiculous. And I got a holiday card from my brother last year with one of those pictures on it- he's sitting with a knee up, leaning back on one hand and his wife and kids are all around him. This guy weighs in at about 245 and has terrible knee problems. He's about as likely to sit on the floor with his kids as he is to enter a dunking contest. He laughed about it and said when they asked if they could all just sit in chairs or something the photographer acted like he was ruining the creative moment.

He told the guy he'd rather sit with the autumn watermill background than get on the floor for another sitting. But the holidays were closing in and he didn't have time to find another photographer.

klw
11-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Not really a new trend but is there a week when there isn't a country music awards show on tv. How many "Country Music's Biggest Nights of the Year" can there be in a single year? Almost as bad as "Season's biggest sale" and Christmas ads on November 1.