PDA

View Full Version : NHL Thread

WMR
10-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Are the Blackhawks really going to be any good this year? Early signs have been positive... everyone always said the only way they'd get Wirt$ out of there was in a coffin...

To those who follow the sport: What is your favorite team and who do you think will win the Stanley Cup?

Anyone ever been to a Blue Jackets game? How is it? How much are good seats?

Patrick Bateman
10-21-2007, 12:37 PM
The Hawks better be for real or I am going to be very sad. Anyways, they are an entertaining group with Kane and Toews leading the show. But I think they need Havlat to get healthy to make a serious run.

westofyou
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Who will win teh Cup?

Way too early to even tell what and who the real players will be in that hunt.

Me?

I'm a Wing fan and I like what I see from everyone but Dom, that said he's old enough to warm up at his own pace.

Columbus best find some offense, and no I don't think the Hawk are real.

Though they are bunch better then usual.

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Who will win teh Cup?

Me?

I'm a Wing fan and I like what I see from everyone but Dom, that said he's old enough to warm up at his own pace.

Well of course you don't, you're a dead thing fan!! ;) :laugh:

Patrick Bateman
10-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Who will win teh Cup?

Me?

That's all probably true. As I said, they need Havlat to get consistent scoring.

Still, they have had a tough schedule to date and came out 5 and 3, including 2 tough victories over Detroit.

If anything, Toews and Kane are the real deal. No question about it. Those two alone will make this season entertaining enough for me.

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
That's all probably true. As I said, they need Havlat to get consistent scoring.

Still, they have had a tough schedule to date and came out 5 and 3, including 2 tough victories over Detroit.

If anything, Toews and Kane are the real deal. No question about it. Those two alone will make this season entertaining enough for me.

What's their draft story, AK? I'm just getting back into following the Hawks. Who are our best players? Who's the goalie nowadays?

Is Eric Daze still in the NHL? What about Tony Amonte?

westofyou
10-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Well of course you don't, you're a dead thing fan!! ;) :laugh:

38 years and counting...

WMR
10-21-2007, 04:47 PM
38 years and counting...

Wow, so you suffered through the bad times... great franchise nowadays, that's for sure. Is Chelios still playing?

westofyou
10-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow, so you suffered through the bad times... great franchise nowadays, that's for sure. Is Chelios still playing?
I also was a big Stinger fan too.
(BTW The Stingers were owned by Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr.)

Chelly?

Yep he is... I remember when they picked him up I thought he'd be retired in a year.

That was in 98 or 99.

Seriously though the league is a little big to know every team without giving the game some serious time out of your life. I tend to be soft on the eastern teams, especially the ones that are in the south. I follow mostly western teams and watch most of my hockey in the evenings, thus I tend to miss most o fthe eastern conference games.

I think that the eastern has gotten way more offensive in the past years, and that the western more defensive. The Penguins are interesting as are the Rangers, who are slow out of the gate.

I think the west will be the usual suspects with maybe St Louis coming back form the dead.

But the season for me doesn't really start to show its true colors until around Christmas, then you get the idea who is hot and who is isn't and won't be.

WMR
10-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I also was a big Stinger fan too.
(BTW The Stingers were owned by Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr.)

Chelly?

Yep he is... I remember when they picked him up I thought he'd be retired in a year.

That was in 98 or 99.

Seriously though the league is a little big to know every team without giving the game some serious time out of your life. I tend to be soft on the eastern teams, especially the ones that are in the south. I follow mostly western teams and watch most of my hockey in the evenings, thus I tend to miss most o fthe eastern conference games.

I think that the eastern has gotten way more offensive in the past years, and that the western more defensive. The Penguins are interesting as are the Rangers, who are slow out of the gate.

I think the west will be the usual suspects with maybe St Louis coming back form the dead.

But the season for me doesn't really start to show its true colors until around Christmas, then you get the idea who is hot and who is isn't and won't be.

I remember when the Blackhawks had that incredible streak of playoff appearances... then that one season when they finally missed the playoffs they fell... and fell HARD.

Where were the Stingers located? Were they in the NHL? Were they contracted or did they change their name?

Me too on Chelly. I figured he'd play maybe 2, 3 at the MOST years for the Red Wings... amazing how long hockey players can hold on with experience and guile.

Is one conference dominant over the other?

Did they ever work out what is going to happen in Pittsburgh? Are they going to finance a new stadium? Will the team stay?

Do you think the league has gotten too big? Would you support contracting a few teams?

Sorry to barrage ya with questions! lol

Patrick Bateman
10-21-2007, 05:05 PM
What's their draft story, AK? I'm just getting back into following the Hawks. Who are our best players? Who's the goalie nowadays?

Is Eric Daze still in the NHL? What about Tony Amonte?

Wow you really are just getting back :).

Eric Daze wil never play again. He has a wonky back. he's tried to get back, but he just can't do it. I expect him to get a role in the front office some day.

Tony Amonte is a free agent because nobody wants him. He failed for a few years in Calgary as he is on his last legs. he might make a decent 4th liner for somebody as the effort and leadership is there, but his relevance is gone.

Our goaltender is Nikolai Khabiibulin. He won the SC for the Lightning before the lockout and th Hawks gave him a 4 year deal at just under 7M per season. His first 2 seasons he has suffered thanks in part to his own poor play, injuries, and a flat out awful team around him. This season he has had an incredible start, and as long as he stays healthy, I expect that he will be returning back to his former status.

Our best scorers are the young kids Pat Kane and Jonathon Toews. We just got Kane in the most recent draft by winning the draft lottery to get the number 1 selection. he's just an 18 year old midget, but he has amazing playmaking skills and has been our best player this season.

Toews was drafted during the previous season and is more of an all around player. He was the number 3 overall pick and was the main reason why Canada won the most recent world juniors. He is in the Joe Sakic/Steve Yzerman mold. Big shoes to fill, but there is no question he has the talent, and is likely the future captain.

Martin Havlat is generally our best player when healthy. Kane and Toews may give him a run for his money. However, he has had an array of major shoulder injuries and his status is up in the air. They say about 4 weeks, but that usually means 2 months with the Hawks. They are paying him 6M a season so people are beginning to get frustrated ala Griffey. If he can get back on the ice the Blackhawks just may have a chance.

Tuomo Ruutu is my personal favorite. He's a crasher that can score and is currently playing with Toews and Kane. He's pretty young as well, but has had the injury problems too. he's now been healthy for 1 full season, so a breakout could be in the near future.

Robert Lang is other decent scorer for the Hawks. He was with WOY's team for awhile and he ahs already burned the Wings twice. I wasn't a fan of the move, but he has scored tons of key goals already and has been an asset on the PP, so it's hard to be displeased with him right now.

WMR
10-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Wow, great stuff, thanks. Sounds like we have an exciting nucleus of young players to hopefully build around. Who is taking the reins of ownership now that Wirtz is gone? Will it be business as usual or do you foresee a shift in the organization's direction?

Honestly, Wirtz is one of the main reasons I quit following the Hawks. I don't have the close ties that I have with the Reds and Bengals and it was just no fun.

#1 overall pick? Wow, that is awesome. Sounds like Toews has ROY type potential?

Honestly, another thing that got me back into the game is the unbelievably good NHL 08 for Xbox 360. I used to play the HELL out of the NHL 94-98 era games on the Sega Genesis. This is the first hockey game to be as fun and playable as those games were.

And I love the new rules. I guess purists might dislike them, but the game is so much more exciting, and I love that they have moved to allow the truly talented players to show their stuff w/o being constantly dragged down by the "knuckle draggers." haha

Ben
10-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Any fellow Ottawa Senators fans on the board? The top line of Spezza-Heatley-Alfie has been lights out this season so far (35 pts combined). The two headed goaltending situation has the potential to be very good or very bad. Emery looked good last night. Hopefully he's 100% and they can flip Gerber at the deadline to pick up a young defensemen. They're going to need the cap space saved with Gerber's salary (3.7 million this year and next) to sign Spezza/Redden/Vermette long term.

westofyou
10-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Robert Lang is other decent scorer for the Hawks. He was with WOY's team for awhile and he ahs already burned the Wings twice. I wasn't a fan of the move, but he has scored tons of key goals already and has been an asset on the PP, so it's hard to be displeased with him right now.

Lang and Babcock had issues, Lang is not a great two player and perhaps needs more creativity to up his offensive game, the Wings like to play the puck possession game and that usually revolves around point play by the big defensive men, Daysuk and Zetterberg are faster then Lang and able to create more space in that sort of setup, Lang and Babcock had words about what was expected from him and what he in turn expected to contribute based on what he could do.

WMP, The Stingers were in the WHA... a fun time when Hockey was actually in the papers in Cincinnati.

westofyou
10-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Any fellow Ottawa Senators fans on the board? The top line of Spezza-Heatley-Alfie has been lights out this season so far (35 pts combined). The two headed goaltending situation has the potential to be very good or very bad. Emery looked good last night. Hopefully he's 100% and they can flip Gerber at the deadline to pick up a young defensemen. They're going to need the cap space saved with Gerber's salary (3.7 million this year and next) to sign Spezza/Redden/Vermette long term.

The Sens are hot, I like the up tempo game they play. I wouldn't be too hot to flip a goalie just yet though, you never know when you need a pro. Who back up the top two?

Patrick Bateman
10-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Lang and Babcock had issues, Lang is not a great two player and perhaps needs more creativity to up his offensive game, the Wings like to play the puck possession game and that usually revolves around point play by the big defensive men, Daysuk and Zetterberg are faster then Lang and able to create more space in that sort of setup, Lang and Babcock had words about what was expected from him and what he in turn expected to contribute based on what he could do.

I'd agree with that. Lang is a bit of a floater. Let's his linemates do the work. That's why I really didn't like the signing, but the rest of the team works hard, so I don't mind having one Lang type player on the team. He has served an important purpose. it's just that if he isn't scoring he's a pretty useless player.

Patrick Bateman
10-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Wow, great stuff, thanks. Sounds like we have an exciting nucleus of young players to hopefully build around. Who is taking the reins of ownership now that Wirtz is gone? Will it be business as usual or do you foresee a shift in the organization's direction?

Honestly, Wirtz is one of the main reasons I quit following the Hawks. I don't have the close ties that I have with the Reds and Bengals and it was just no fun.

#1 overall pick? Wow, that is awesome. Sounds like Toews has ROY type potential?

Toews and Kane both have ROY potential. They are probably their biggest competition. There are some good rookies, but IMO Kane and Toews are the front runners. The Blues' Erik Johnson should put up a good fight when he gets healthy.

As for ownership, it was expected the Billy's son Peter would take over once he Billy died, but he isntead steeped down, and the other son, Rocky Wirtz is now in charge.

My guess is that the changes will be few and far betweeen. The ownership is still in the family, so my guess is that Rocky would agree with Billy on most issues.

Still, the Hawks have been open to spending money the last few seasons, and they finally have a GM in place with half a brain. He has a plan in place, and has done a great job in following through. The Hawks have a great stable of young players and they are committed to winning. If they aren't a playoff team right now, then they likely will be next year.

Raisor
10-21-2007, 08:58 PM
How about dem Thrashers?

uhhhh..nothing to see here, move along

Danny Serafini
10-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Have to say I'm pretty happy with my Flyers right now. As horribly as they played last year, they're playing much better this season. I guess that's what happens when you replace more than half the roster.

Ben
10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
The Sens are hot, I like the up tempo game they play. I wouldn't be too hot to flip a goalie just yet though, you never know when you need a pro. Who back up the top two?

They have a young goalie (Brian Elliot) who won his first game earlier this year. I think Elliot will be fine backing up Emery so long as Ray doesn't try to fight the entire Buffalo roster again :)

But WOY I agree with you...the Sens are really fun to watch. I've been watching nearly all of their games so far this season (NHL Center Ice Package) and even if they are down 2/3 goals early in a game they have the firepower to get right back into the game. I do like Gerber alot but the Sens need to clear some cap space so they can sign Spezza long term. Spezza is one of the best pivots I've seen and is the anchor of that team.

I'm going to have to start checking out the Hawks this season. It's good to see that the Hawks are starting to rebound after being horrid for so long. How has Jack Skille played so far this season? While everyone is pimping Kane and Toews, I haven't really heard alot about Skille.

Patrick Bateman
10-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Skille is in the AHL.

timmario66
10-22-2007, 03:06 PM
As a half season ticket holder for the Blue Jackets, this season is going to be very inconsistent. They have a number of young guys along with end of the road veterans with very little in between. I think next season is the season to watch with a lot of payroll opening up.

BTW - Rick Nash has been a monster so far. Too bad no one else has yet.

Patrick Bateman
10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
WMR---

The Hawks just announced that they plan to televise some home games next season, so it looks like significant changes may be in the near future.

WMR
10-22-2007, 06:54 PM
WMR---

The Hawks just announced that they plan to televise some home games next season, so it looks like significant changes may be in the near future.

It's about time!!

That was one of the more asinine "business decisions" made by Wirt$. Way to alienate the fan base by attempting to force them to buy a ticket to the game to follow/support the team.

deltachi8
10-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Buffalo Sabres fan here (and season ticket holder). I like the Blackhawks but think it will be another 1-2 years fro them to put it all together for a run.

As for the Cup...too early to tell thus far, but If i had to pick....Ottawa. I think they will trade Gerber for some grit sooner rather than later.

Ben
10-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Buffalo Sabres fan here (and season ticket holder). I like the Blackhawks but think it will be another 1-2 years fro them to put it all together for a run.

As for the Cup...too early to tell thus far, but If i had to pick....Ottawa. I think they will trade Gerber for some grit sooner rather than later.

:thumbdown j/k...The Sabres are going to make another run at it this year. They have a good team again even without Briere (IMO he was overrated/overpaid) and Drury (I feel your pain brother). Add in the fact that they are well coached and have argubly the best goalie in the League, they be fine. Plus, it's always nice to hear Rick Jeanneret losing his mind after big goals in the playoffs...LALALALALALALALALAFOTAINE! :)

Ben
10-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Rick Jeanneret's best calls...IMO he is the best radio announcer in the league.

http://staffannouncer.com/blog/?p=19

deltachi8
10-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Rick Jeanneret's best calls...IMO he is the best radio announcer in the league.

http://staffannouncer.com/blog/?p=19

No argument there. They lost a great color man this year when Jim Lorentz decided to retire just before the season started but have replaced him with Harry Neal of Hockey Night in Canada fame. So far, so good.

timmario66
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Don't look now but the Blue Jackets are now 7-3-1 and are on a 4 game winning streak going into tonight's game for their best start ever by a mile. Pascal LeClaire has been unbelievable this season with 4 shutouts already.

In Hitch I trust.

Cyclone792
11-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Don't look now but the Blue Jackets are now 7-3-1 and are on a 4 game winning streak going into tonight's game for their best start ever by a mile. Pascal LeClaire has been unbelievable this season with 4 shutouts already.

In Hitch I trust.

Columbus lost in a shootout at Anaheim last Thursday, but Leclaire comes back and shuts out the Blues this past Sunday. The Blue Jackets are now 8-3-2, and their 18 points are tied for second most in the Western Conference.

westofyou
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Columbus lost in a shootout at Anaheim last Thursday, but Leclaire comes back and shuts out the Blues this past Sunday. The Blue Jackets are now 8-3-2, and their 18 points are tied for second most in the Western Conference.

Big test for the Jackets and their D tonight.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071109/SPORTS05/711090430/1053

The Blue Jackets might have surprised some with their fast start.

A year after finishing second-to-last in the Central Division, the Blue Jackets are in second place, behind the Wings.

Wings coach Mike Babcock thinks the Blue Jackets will continue to play at a high level, thanks to second-year coach Ken Hitchcock.

"You know, Hitch has been successful everywhere he's been," Babcock said. "There's no reason he's not going to be successful. Plus, when you've been drafting as high as they have for as long as they have, you've got to be good."

Through Wednesday, Blue Jackets goalie Pascal Leclaire led the league in goals-against average (1.12) save percentage (.957) and shutouts (five).

"Fifteen games into it," Wings defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom said, "it's pretty impressive to have that many."

The Blue Jackets' defense will be a good challenge for the Wings' forwards.

"When you go through it, they've got an organized group that's going to be prepared and that's going to make it real hard on us," Babcock said.

Joseph
11-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I followed the Black Hawks back in the 90's with Roenick and Amonte, so I'm excited with the young players like Kane showing such promise.

Now if only Cincinnati could follow the lead of the two teams I root for in Chicago [Bulls and Black hawks] and actually TRY!

registerthis
11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
The Caps handed the Sens their second loss of the season.

I'm not sure what's more surprising to me: the fact that the Sens have now 13-2, or the fact that it was the Caps who got to them.

westofyou
11-09-2007, 12:40 PM
The Caps handed the Sens their second loss of the season.

I'm not sure what's more surprising to me: the fact that the Sens have now 13-2, or the fact that it was the Caps who got to them.

The Caps have already played in 3 games that one team scored 7 goals, that is way more wide open then the West.

Raisor
12-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Went to my 6th game of the season last night as the Thrashers shutout the Bruins 5-0. I actually ended up going by myself as my buddy canceled at the last minute. Fun game.

Yachtzee
12-30-2007, 06:27 PM
I went to a Blackhawks game when I lived in Chicago and I also went to a Chicago Wolves game (back when they played in the IHL). I must say I enjoyed it. Maybe someday I'll make a trip to Columbus to check out the Blue Jackets.

westofyou
12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
It's been a good season so far, that's all I have to say, damn good.

Raisor
12-30-2007, 07:16 PM
It's been a good season so far, that's all I have to say, damn good.

I'm going to the All-Star game, so it's getting to be a GREAT season.

Thrashers are going to go all crazy in the second half, by the way.

westofyou
12-30-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm going to the All-Star game, so it's getting to be a GREAT season.

Thrashers are going to go all crazy in the second half, by the way.

Good luck... Southeast Hockey is probably the division I see less, as in hardly at all. Though I did watch some of the Jackets game yesterday vs the Hurricane.

But I see more western hockey by default... and the east is mainly Red Wings.

Raisor
12-30-2007, 07:30 PM
Good luck... Southeast Hockey is probably the division I see less, as in hardly at all. Though I did watch some of the Jackets game yesterday vs the Hurricane.

But I see more western hockey by default... and the east is mainly Red Wings.

When you get the chance, watch some Ilya Kovalchuk. He's so much into the zone right now it's awesome.

deltachi8
12-30-2007, 07:31 PM
People here are very excited for Tuesday's Winter Classic ("Ice Bowl")....forcast now calls for snow for the game, should make a nice visual.

westofyou
12-30-2007, 07:38 PM
People here are very excited for Tuesday's Winter Classic ("Ice Bowl")....forcast now calls for snow for the game, should make a nice visual.

I watched some of the Sabres - Pens game yesterday too, they are all bunched up in the east, someone will have to make a move in the second half they have 9 teams with 38-42 points. That's parity.

Patrick Bateman
12-30-2007, 09:08 PM
When you get the chance, watch some Ilya Kovalchuk. He's so much into the zone right now it's awesome.

Yes, I have him on my fantasy team where goals are very valuable. Ilya is my best friend right now.

I've been watching a lot of Minnesota Wild games, and I'm about the only one who finds them exciting because of their style, but their defense has been horrid of late making the games much more crazy. But I did miss Gaborik's crazy 5 goal effort which made me very sad.

deltachi8
12-30-2007, 09:23 PM
I watched some of the Sabres - Pens game yesterday too, they are all bunched up in the east, someone will have to make a move in the second half they have 9 teams with 38-42 points. That's parity.

Outside of the Senators, the 2-8 seeds will take a while to sort out. I think you will see both the Sabres and Pens grow up a bit in the second half and play more consistent hockey. They both have a bunch of talent.

Should be an interesting second half.

OldRightHander
12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
I've been a Blues fan since the early 80s. I was a Stingers fan before that and when the team folded and Mike Liut ended up with the Blues, I started following them. Way too early to pick a cup winner though. Hopefully the Blues will have a heck of a second half, but in all honesty I don't think I'd label them a serious contender this year. You never know though. Anything can happen.

Sean_CaseyRules
12-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Great game from our Jackets tonight! Rick Nash had a Hat Trick!!! Scored a Short handed goal, a Power Play goal, and an Empty net! :beerme:

Raisor
01-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Anyone see the outdoor game today between the Pens and Sabres? I was out all day, so I missed it, but 70,000+ people out in the snow watching hockey rules.

Caveat Emperor
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Anyone see the outdoor game today between the Pens and Sabres? I was out all day, so I missed it, but 70,000+ people out in the snow watching hockey rules.

It was a fun game to watch.

I'm not a huge fan of the shootout as a means of tiebreaking, but it was probably the most exciting shootout I've ever watched. Snow falling hard, wind blowing, and players trying to keep the puck moving with a good 1/4" of snow on the ice.

Fun times. The NHL should make it an annual event.

westofyou
01-01-2008, 08:40 PM

Looked too cold, huge snowflakes.. then I watched UM play... as for shootouts, I don't care too much for them... but I'm an addled sports fan (US wise) I don't mind ties in the season, it works point wise in hockey and soccer just fine.

I also like foreign films without resolutions... and pedal steel too.

deltachi8
01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I did not attend the outdoor game today (others in our season ticket holder group did) as I am much bigger fan of warm weather than cold. I was at dinner with someone who did go and he was still frozen a couple hours afterwards. He said it was well worth it though - the place was electric (except during ice repair times).

The visuals were terrific in HD (in my nice warm apartment). It was great to see hockey celebrated like that as well. Hopefully, the TV ratings are decent enough to have NBC consider this for an annual Jan 1 event - rotating between northern US cities.

I am one that does that mind the shootout as I never liked ties. However, I would like the point system revised for a total of 3 points given out in a game. A regulation winner gets 3, an OT or shootout winner gets 2 with the OT/shootout loser getting 1.

Yachtzee
01-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I did not attend the outdoor game today (others in our season ticket holder group did) as I am much bigger fan of warm weather than cold. I was at dinner with someone who did go and he was still frozen a couple hours afterwards. He said it was well worth it though - the place was electric (except during ice repair times).

The visuals were terrific in HD (in my nice warm apartment). It was great to see hockey celebrated like that as well. Hopefully, the TV ratings are decent enough to have NBC consider this for an annual Jan 1 event - rotating between northern US cities.

I am one that does that mind the shootout as I never liked ties. However, I would like the point system revised for a total of 3 points given out in a game. A regulation winner gets 3, an OT or shootout winner gets 2 with the OT/shootout loser getting 1.

I thought it was pretty awesome. How many venues do the have available in NHL cities though? NY, Chicago and Boston come to mind. Maybe Toronto leaves the Rogers Centre open. Maybe they could play a neutral site game sometime, like Pittsburgh and Detroit meeting up in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

SteelSD
01-01-2008, 10:12 PM
It was a fun game to watch.

I'm not a huge fan of the shootout as a means of tiebreaking, but it was probably the most exciting shootout I've ever watched. Snow falling hard, wind blowing, and players trying to keep the puck moving with a good 1/4" of snow on the ice.

Fun times. The NHL should make it an annual event.

As a Penguins fan, I was disappointed that I got to see only OT and the shootout. Like you, I'm not a huge fan of the shootout. But then, at least each team gets an equal shot unlike the sudden-death NFL OT. But I digress...

And that was a fantastic shootout. Letang actually being able to cross-over with the puck to deke and then push across the tying goal through that snow was almost unbelievable, especially knowing that he's a Defenseman. And then Crosby (who actually hasn't been all that good in shootouts) took advantage of an opportunity that lasted a microsecond.

I also found it interesting that the opposing goalies are two of the very very few who've played an outdoor game before at either the college or pro level.

Yachtzee
01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I also found it interesting that the opposing goalies are two of the very very few who've played an outdoor game before at either the college or pro level.

Don't forget your tuque!

deltachi8
01-01-2008, 10:33 PM
I thought it was pretty awesome. How many venues do the have available in NHL cities though? NY, Chicago and Boston come to mind. Maybe Toronto leaves the Rogers Centre open. Maybe they could play a neutral site game sometime, like Pittsburgh and Detroit meeting up in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

I would think it could rotate between Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago and Minnesota (once an outdoor stadium is built).

For the Canadian cities, I think it is more appropriate to play an outdoor Canadian game on Hockey Day.

Steel - Crosby's shoot out goal was beautiful. Of course as a Sabres fan, I was hoping for Miller to stone him, but it is so hard to root against Crosby - not only supremely talented but seems like one hell of a nice guy.

SteelSD
01-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Steel - Crosby's shoot out goal was beautiful. Of course as a Sabres fan, I was hoping for Miller to stone him, but it is so hard to root against Crosby - not only supremely talented but seems like one hell of a nice guy.

Crosby seems way grounded, which is impressive for a guy who's accomplished so much at such a young age.

Right now, the Pittsburgh franchise is in kind of a weird place. The torch has been passed from Lemieux to Crosby. I certainly wouldn't position that Crosby is the same level of talent as one of the two best (with Gretzky) players the game has ever seen. But the Crosby/Malkin combo has the potential to be an upper middle class version of the Lemieux/Jagr combo.

What's been frustrating to me so far is the lack of progression from players like Marc Andre Fleury and Jordan Staal (who's having an awful year). Well, that and the Pitt management can't seem to figure out what actual defensemen look like. And don't get me started on the poor return for Jagr. That trade sucked huge the day it was made.

I have little doubt that unless things change for the better, the Sabres will be in the playoffs this year while the Pens will be on the outside looking in while wondering what happened.

Raisor
01-02-2008, 07:13 AM
Crosby seems way grounded, which is impressive for a guy who's accomplished so much at such a young age.

It's probably because Super Mario made him stay in his basement and sat on him like a momma polar bear.

deltachi8
01-02-2008, 06:59 PM
By the way, nice ratings for the Winter Classic - highest NHL ratings for a regular season game in 10 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-winterclassic-ratings&prov=ap&type=lgns

First outdoor NHL game played in US draws big TV numbers
January 2, 2008

NEW YORK (AP) -- More people tuned in on New Year's Day to see the NHL play outdoors than any other regular-season game in more than a decade.

The Penguins-Sabres game in snowy Buffalo -- the first regular-season outdoor NHL game in the United States -- drew a 2.6 overnight rating and a 5 share on NBC. Those were the best numbers since a six-game regional telecast on Fox drew a 3.0 overnight rating and a 7 share on Feb. 3, 1996.

ADVERTISEMENT
Pittsburgh won 2-1 in a shootout on a Sidney Crosby's score before a crowd of more than 71,000 at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

The big numbers, in the stands and on TV, came three years after the NHL lockout forced the cancellation of an entire season and after last season's Stanley Cup finals on NBC drew record-low ratings.

"We're delighted by the success of this historic event," NBC Sports president Ken Schanzer said. "The Winter Classic exposed hockey to a larger audience and definitely made new fans of the game."

The Winter Classic ratings also surpassed Wayne Gretzky's final game, which was broadcast on Fox on April 18, 1999, and drew a 2.5/6.

The Buffalo and Pittsburgh markets led the ratings, at 38.2/58 and 17.7/30, respectively. But markets such as Sacramento, Calif., St. Louis and Denver also drew strong ratings, even though the game went up against a number of college football bowl games, including an intriguing Capital One Bowl between Florida and Michigan.

"This was one of the best events I've ever been a part of as a player, coach or broadcaster," NBC game analyst Eddie Olczyk said. "It truly was a memorable experience and a great day for the sport of hockey."

Overnight ratings measure the 55 largest TV markets in the United States, and each ratings point represents about 735,000 households. The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned into a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time.

redsfan1966
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I was into the NHL/pro hockey for many years and was stoked when we got our franchise in 2000 (Jackets) after many years of outrageous support for the Columbus Chill--I went to the opener and was still excited even after Tony Amonte kicked our as-es for Chicago. I continued to watch, attend and support but finally grew weary after many years of losing. Add to that, we had the modern version of a snake oil salesman in Doug McLean continuing to make excuses and bark at media and fans (even on his call-in show:rolleyes:!). Then the Jackets did the most deadly of sins--give up and not even play with effort or passion. Then of course we had the cancelled season and eventually I decided that I already followed enough sports--why not give up on the NHL and free up some time?? So I did. I really didnt miss hockey that much.

However, I did attend the New Year's Eve Jackets game vs. Edmonton. Kind of a tradition for me and the missus. As SeanCaseyRules stated, Rick Nash had a hat trick and the place was electric. I also found myself continuing to watch the Winter Classic on New Year's Day even as I tried to turn the channel to the Capital One Bowl. The setting was amazing...the pregame renditions of Oh Canada and God Bless America were stirring...and even with the continued stoppage of play for ice repair..the game was entertaining. With the recent news of the ratings win for the Classic, this must become an annual event...so maybe just maybe hockey has won me back.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
so maybe just maybe hockey has won me back.

You should really like us now, especially since we are playing VERY well!

cumberlandreds
01-03-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not a hockey fan but I turned over and watched some of this game on New Year's Day. It was really cool seeing this outside with the snow falling. I would think the NHL will look to play more of these outdoor games. On PTI yesterday Michael Wilbon suggested they have an outdoor game every Sunday afternoon in the winter. Sounds like a good idea to me and I would probably watch at least parts of the game.

westofyou
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I would think the NHL will look to play more of these outdoor games.

Nope, it's a bone they throw to those who don't like hockey. More will be yearly, not multiple by year.

To those of us who do like hockey it becomes a novelty, bad ice, too cold for the players.. it's a nice thought and if you ever glided across a lake in a snow flurry chasing a puck you get it even more. But it's a marketing device that doesn't raise the game to it's highest level, it brings it down to its roots.

Yachtzee
01-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Nope, it's a bone they throw to those who don't like hockey. More will be yearly, not multiple by year.

To those of us who do like hockey it becomes a novelty, bad ice, too cold for the players.. it's a nice thought and if you ever glided across a lake in a snow flurry chasing a puck you get it even more. But it's a marketing device that doesn't raise the game to it's highest level, it brings it down to its roots.

I got that impression. More of a spectacle to draw interest in hockey rather than an idea for a regular weekly event. I would think trying to put the rink out there and keep it in NHL quality condition on a week to week basis, with changing weather conditions, might be a bit cost prohibitive as well.

M2
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, that and the Pitt management can't seem to figure out what actual defensemen look like.

It would seem the Pens' plan to get around that is to play Gonchar and Whitney for half the game. Whitney's an interesting guy, better in the pros than he was in college.

M2
01-03-2008, 12:03 PM

I agree it shouldn't be done more than once a year, but I like it a lot. It's a reminder that hockey has roots. It's also nice to see that tens of thousands of people haven't become so squeamish that they can't sit out in the cold for two hours.

SteelSD
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
It would seem the Pens' plan to get around that is to play Gonchar and Whitney for half the game. Whitney's an interesting guy, better in the pros than he was in college.

The Pens' plan should be to find some actual Defensemen. Unfortunately, the actual plan appears to rely on kids and old guys with very little in-between. Mark Recchi's bubble finally burst, as did Gary Roberts' prior to breaking his leg (almost merciful for the Pens).

Ryan Whitney's one of those decent grinders who's marginally good enough to have a slot on the Power Play, but is one of those guys you wish you couldn't remember rather than have to root for. And don't even get me started on the total disappearance of Jordan Staal. Yeah, he's young, but he went from a threat to a complete non-entity this season. If the Pens are going to get better, he's a huge key.

That being said, the Pittsburgh strength is in their centers and there's little elsewhere. It's bad design. Even-strength, you've got a magician (Crosby) trying to pass to an inconsistent Malkin or low-level options and decent-to-good Goalies (including Ty Conklin's coming-out party) trying to prevent goals in front of bad Defensemen.

Right now, the team feels like an island of misfit toys. The Jagr trade was a complete disaster as I figured it would be and the Pens keep thinking that if they can just get in enough mediocre veterans in order to provide leadership that the kids can combine to get over the hump.

They've been playing well as of late (see: Conklin, Ty) but the roster I'm looking at is just another potential first round playoff loss.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Just to take a little poll, without starting a new thread, how many guys on here listen to the jackets on the radio, when they arent on TV, like the last two nights?

Patrick Bateman
01-04-2008, 12:27 AM
And don't even get me started on the total disappearance of Jordan Staal. Yeah, he's young, but he went from a threat to a complete non-entity this season. If the Pens are going to get better, he's a huge key.

The Pens made a huge mistake with that draft pick. I said it at the time to fellow Hawk fans, but I've always felt the Staal family has been quite overrated. Eric has been having his fair shair of problems since his breakout 100 point season.

Jonathan Toews at the time was the superior player, and at this point it's blatantly obvious. Alongside Crosby, I don't think there would be a better 1-2 punch in hockey right now. I remember Dale Tallon was basically praying the Pens would take Staal so that Toews could fall into the Hawks lap during the draft. Hawks' lucked out for a change.

BTW: What's the big problem with Whitney? Granted I haven't seen him play much at all this season, but I was pretty impressed with him last year. I mean he was at nearly a PPG pace after the break.

Raisor
01-04-2008, 06:25 AM
Mark Recchi's bubble finally burst, .

...and has been blown back up in Atlanta..

westofyou
01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Just to take a little poll, without starting a new thread, how many guys on here listen to the jackets on the radio, when they arent on TV, like the last two nights?

I have the Center Ice package myself, so all the games are on and generally both feeds if both teams are broadcasting.

I have probably listened to 1 game on the radio in the past 25 years, but I was weaned on the best of them.. Bud Lynch and listened to him back in the 70's.

As for announcers no team seems as loud and vibrant as the Sabres team, it's like listening to old school hockey announcers.

westofyou
01-04-2008, 10:21 AM
...and has been blown back up in Atlanta..

Recchi is in his Paul Coffey end of his career phase, he's gone Flyer, Pen and Pen again, now Thrasher... he's a human pinball who plays on the 3rd line.

Joseph
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Hockey needs to get back on regular TV more often. If they can work that out, they'll lure in some new fans.

I watched the outdoor classic the other day and remembered that I enjoy watching hockey. It's the first game I'd seen in a few years as I recall.

SteelSD
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
The Pens made a huge mistake with that draft pick. I said it at the time to fellow Hawk fans, but I've always felt the Staal family has been quite overrated. Eric has been having his fair shair of problems since his breakout 100 point season.

Jonathan Toews at the time was the superior player, and at this point it's blatantly obvious. Alongside Crosby, I don't think there would be a better 1-2 punch in hockey right now. I remember Dale Tallon was basically praying the Pens would take Staal so that Toews could fall into the Hawks lap during the draft. Hawks' lucked out for a change.

BTW: What's the big problem with Whitney? Granted I haven't seen him play much at all this season, but I was pretty impressed with him last year. I mean he was at nearly a PPG pace after the break.

Oh, I really don't have an issue with Ryan Whitney. He's a decent mid-tier Defenseman. It's just that on a good defensive team, a guy like Whitney would just sort of meld into the background. It's not that I don't appreciate Whitney. It's just that I really don't like that the Pens' defense is so bad that he actually stands out.

As for Staal, I was worried at the end of last season after he posted a shooting percentage (22.1) that's pretty much unrepeatable and an unsustainable number of short-handed goals (7). Add in only 13 Assists, and you have a one-dimensional offensive profile. He's on the flip side of that SPCT this season (3.9%), so that projects to improve at some point, but his Assist rate really has gone nowhere.

He's young and I think it'd be silly to expect that his game be as refined as a Crosby or even Malkin, but color me concerned. And yeah, I don't doubt that his gene pool may have attributed to Staal's draft slot.

Patrick Bateman
01-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh, I really don't have an issue with Ryan Whitney. He's a decent mid-tier Defenseman. It's just that on a good defensive team, a guy like Whitney would just sort of meld into the background. It's not that I don't appreciate Whitney. It's just that I really don't like that the Pens' defense is so bad that he actually stands out.

That's fair. He's certainly not a premier defensive player. I think he has great use on the PP, but you would definitely want a more refined defensive player to lead things instead of having 2 guys who I would characterize as offensive minded (Whitney and Gonchar). In an ideal world (say Detroit or Ottawa), I think Whitney sees the lions share of his time on the PP, while settling into a second pairing role on even strength.

As for Staal, I was worried at the end of last season after he posted a shooting percentage (22.1) that's pretty much unrepeatable and an unsustainable number of short-handed goals (7). Add in only 13 Assists, and you have a one-dimensional offensive profile. He's on the flip side of that SPCT this season (3.9%), so that projects to improve at some point, but his Assist rate really has gone nowhere.

Great point. This is something I have been pimping for quite some time, but my hockey friends don't believe that shooting percentage can be a luck factor. It's the reason I didn't buy into Jordan Staal's hype last season (or Mike Ribiero's insane current 40 goal pace). I don't mind his long term outlook. Big bodies like Stall are projects, and in all fairness shouldn't be expected to be top 6 guys right away. If anything, it's nice that the rest of his game is quite refined for his age, and once he figures out what to do with his size he could explode ala Bertuzzi.

One of my beefs with Eric Staal is that his all around game is dreadful. Since he came into the league he has been thrusted into a scorers role where he's expected to lead the team. And at such a young age, Staal didn't have much of a chance to work on some of the finer points in hockey. That's one area where I see a big advantage for Jordan. He's never going to be a liability out there, so even if his goal scoring fails to break out, there will still always be a role for him. Eric obviously has the better offensive game for now, but I remain skeptical of him having another 100 point year. Even if Jordan can become a 65ish point guy (and in time I think he will) he will be far more valuable than his older brother.

deltachi8
01-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I
As for announcers no team seems as loud and vibrant as the Sabres team, it's like listening to old school hockey announcers.

Yep. I am completely spoiled.

westofyou
01-06-2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/sports/hockey/06puck.html?ref=hockey

Several teams have approached the N.H.L. about staging outdoor games next season, after the success of Tuesday’s game between the Sabres and the Pittsburgh Penguins at Ralph Wilson Stadium outside Buffalo, a league spokesman said.

The game drew 71,217 fans and generated a wave of good feeling for the league and the sport. It had the highest American television rating for a regular-season game in more than a decade. In Canada, it had the second-highest rating for a daytime game in the regular season, trailing only Wayne Gretzky’s farewell game.

“There have been several expressions of interest,” said Frank Brown, the N.H.L. vice president for media relations, but he did not specify from which teams.

The Flyers’ president, Peter Luukko, has had “informal conversations” about staging a game between the Flyers and the Penguins at Penn State’s Beaver Stadium, a Flyers spokesman said.

Detroit Coach Mike Babcock suggested the Red Wings play a game at Michigan Stadium. Other suggestions made last week for future outdoor games involved Yankee Stadium, Chicago, Boston, Toronto and Montreal.

Patrick Bateman
01-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I think a Hawks-Red Wings outdoor game would be good fun. Especially if the Hawks can grab a few more wins against Detroit this year to get the old rivalry fired up a bit.

2 original 6 teams would make that type of game pretty exciting.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-06-2008, 04:51 PM
I really like the idea of Detroit and the Jackets playing outside, then after, University of the state up north, vs. THE Ohio State Univeristy. I think a double header like that would be awesome!

westofyou
01-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I really like the idea of Detroit and the Jackets playing outside, then after, University of the state up north, vs. THE Ohio State Univeristy. I think a double header like that would be awesome!
If you don't mind losing both games it should be a great event, I'd back it.

SteelSD
01-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Ok. So let's say that you're a Penguins fan. Let's say that you have an injured goalie named Marc-Andre Fleury, who's posted a save percentage of .902. You have a backup goalie who's posted a Save % of .904. And now you have a 31-year old guy name Ty Conklin who's just gone nuts with an 8-0 record as a starter, a 1.88 Goals Against Average, and a ridiculous .941 Save %. The two latter stats would put Conklin 2nd and 1st in the NHL respectively.

When Fleury gets healty, what would you do?

Patrick Bateman
01-11-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't get it. I saw Conklin play a ton with Edmonton, and he flat out sucked. I haven't seen him play much since then, but the way he's been passed around, he couldn't have been playing well. So I don't understand how this guy got going so well. Mind boggling.

To answer the question, I'd say you can't bench him. The Pens have been off and on all season until Conklin came into the fold where they have been unbeatable. I'd think Conklin needs to be given every chance to start from here on in. If he plays himself out of a job and goes back to old Conklin levels, then by all means, turn back to Fleury, who personally I am a fan of. His early season struggles ultimately will not be a key factor in his career. But you just can't bench Conklin right now.

As for Sabourin, I think he needs to be the odd man out. Conklin has been too good, and Fleury could still be a franchise goalie. Sabourin doesn't fit in anymore.

deltachi8
01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Ok. So let's say that you're a Penguins fan. Let's say that you have an injured goalie named Marc-Andre Fleury, who's posted a save percentage of .902. You have a backup goalie who's posted a Save % of .904. And now you have a 31-year old guy name Ty Conklin who's just gone nuts with an 8-0 record as a starter, a 1.88 Goals Against Average, and a ridiculous .941 Save %. The two latter stats would put Conklin 2nd and 1st in the NHL respectively.

Trade Conklin, his value will never be higher. The Sabres paid a 5th for him last year to get him from Columbus after they traded Biron to Philly.

Speculation here is that Buffalo has not been happy with Thibault as the backup to Miller (though he played fairly well last night) and may look for another alternative as a backup. In fact, the beat reporter for the radio station said yesterday that the team should wait and see what happens in Pittsburgh and claim whoever they puton waivers (should they do that).

westofyou
01-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Trade Conklin, his value will never be higher. The Sabres paid a 5th for him last year to get him from Columbus after they traded Biron to Philly.

I agree, Goalies like Conklin are having what I like to term as a Elmer Dessen year.

Being a goalie is so much like being a pitcher, form, health, mental toughness, little things matter so much for them.

Now the choice is do you ride him through the season and try and keep the mojo going or not?

Often they ride them and then as soon as the playoffs start they toss them aside for the steady vet. So in the end the question remains as this, Would you want to ride Ty Conklin through the playoffs?

I wouldn't.

Not even as good as he's playing now.

Patrick Bateman
01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Often they ride them and then as soon as the playoffs start they toss them aside for the steady vet. So in the end the question remains as this, Would you want to ride Ty Conklin through the playoffs?

I wouldn't.

Not even as good as he's playing now.

Depends how long he keeps it up. Of course you have to take his recent performance with a giant grain of salt, but if he keeps up a similar level of play for the next 30 games, then I think you can start to gain a level of confidence there.

RE: a Conklin trade, I really don't see any team giving up much for him based on 10 games of play. Just about every team in the NHL is set with their starter. If Ilya Bryzgalov couldn't bring anything in a trade, then I doubt a journemen on a nice run would do the trick.

As I said, ride him as far as he takes you. If he starts playing like the AHL goalie he recently has been, then by all means let Fleury earn his job back. But until he loses, it's hard to justify benching him.

timmario66
01-11-2008, 03:43 PM

It sounds like Patrick Lalime version 2.0.

timmario66
01-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Goal of the Year candidate from Jackets Rick Nash.

Notice the time and score at the time of the goal

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3202242&categoryId=2459791&n8pe6c=2

Jackets 1 point out of the 8th spot right now.

Go Jackets!!!

WMR
01-18-2008, 08:38 AM
That goal was freakin' brilliant.

Yachtzee
01-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Goal of the Year candidate from Jackets Rick Nash.

Notice the time and score at the time of the goal

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3202242&categoryId=2459791&n8pe6c=2

Jackets 1 point out of the 8th spot right now.

Go Jackets!!!

That was sweet. I wish the Cleveland media paid more attention to this kind of stuff. I think you'd have more Blue Jackets fans from Northeast Ohio.

westofyou
01-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Nice hands Rick.

The Jackets need more of that, they're 3rd from the bottom in goals in the west and the team that breaks offensively in the second half will likely be the team that grabs those bottom two seeds, which realistically is the Jackets best shot to get in the playoffs this season.

deltachi8
01-18-2008, 05:43 PM
About to leave to see my Sabres take on Raisor's Thrashers....should be an entertaining, wide open game.

deltachi8
01-18-2008, 11:16 PM
About to leave to see my Sabres take on Raisor's Thrashers....should be an entertaining, wide open game.

OK, on one side it was. I want to know who exactly kidnapped both Atlanta goaltenders and dressed in their place....that perhaps the worst display of goaltending I have seen.

Also nice to see Eric Bolton still has a role in the league (2 for cross checking, 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting, 10 misconduct and a game misconduct - all at once.)

westofyou
01-19-2008, 12:06 AM
OK, on one side it was. I want to know who exactly kidnapped both Atlanta goaltenders and dressed in their place....that perhaps the worst display of goaltending I have seen.

Also nice to see Eric Bolton still has a role in the league (2 for cross checking, 2 for instigating, 5 for fighting, 10 misconduct and a game misconduct - all at once.)

6-1 when I checked in... 2nd period.. ouch.. they schooled the Wings the other night... BAD.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-19-2008, 12:07 AM
I do have to say that Nash's goal was THE most awesome goal I've ever seen happen!

deltachi8
01-19-2008, 12:22 AM
6-1 when I checked in... 2nd period.. ouch.. they schooled the Wings the other night... BAD.

10-1 Final.

WMR
01-19-2008, 12:46 AM
10-1 Final.

:eek:

Raisor
01-19-2008, 07:26 AM
10-1 Final.

I had missed the first 10 minutes of the game and by the time I turned it on it was 4-1.

We watched CSI-Miami instead.

Raisor
01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
I am now officially going to the NHL All Star Game here in Atlanta.

I am officailly stoked.

deltachi8
01-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I am now officially going to the NHL All Star Game here in Atlanta.

I am officailly stoked.

And I am officially jealous. Have a great time.

Stephenk29
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
How about that Malkin/Ovechkin showdown last night. My new name for Malkin is now "The Wall"

Sean_CaseyRules
01-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Nash got SNUBBED tonight! He should've been the MVP! 3 Goals and set a record by scoring a goal in the first 12 seconds of the game? Wow, and he got beat by a guy who had 2 goals, and an assist?

Raisor
01-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Fun game, not a great event actually. Bad Swedish band before the game. Bad Atlanta R&B dude in the 2nd intermission. 1st intermission featured a "riveting" video game shootout for a new Dodge SUV.

I had a good time, but not a great moment for Atlanta hockey.

westofyou
01-28-2008, 09:33 AM
I had a good time, but not a great moment for Atlanta hockey.

15 K an average night is a bad sign for Atlanta hockey (IMO)

That said the AS game is a kids event, the Pro Bowl of Hockey... promotional only useless otherwise.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-30-2008, 12:13 AM
The Jackets traded away the face of the orginization tonight....

Jody Shelley was sent to San Jose for a 6th rd draft pick...

timmario66
01-30-2008, 08:30 AM

And all Jackets fans rejoice!!! Won't miss him one bit.

BuckU
01-30-2008, 08:59 AM

Didn't really see that coming. I figured they would let him walk as a free agent this summer, but a trade was kind of a surprise.

This leaves Jared Boll in a tough spot. He leads the leauge in FM's this year, but is not a heavyweight. He can't go with Parros, King, Godard, and some of the other Western enforcers. Tollefson can fight, but you don't want a d-man in the box that much, it screws with the parings. There are guys in Syracuse (Sestito sp?) but he is playing is first year of pro hockey (like Boll).

Hitch preaches multi-demisional players and Shelley was not one of them.

I'm not sure the face of the team was a guy who watched from the press box 60% of the time. He was very popular and great in the community and even married a local girl, but he was very expandable. I wish him all the luck in the world and hopefully this doesn't leave the CBJ in a situation where they lack toughness going into a playoff race the last 30 games of the season.

San Jose is better by making this deal.

westofyou
01-30-2008, 09:32 AM
The jackets don't need an enforcer, they have big guys who score, they are more gri then skill across the board, they need skill players if they want to compete, not fighters.

When the "Face" of your franchise is not a skill player then I'd say your team needs to go into reconstructive surgery.

BuckU
01-30-2008, 09:41 AM
The jackets don't need an enforcer, they have big guys who score, they are more gri then skill across the board, they need skill players if they want to compete, not fighters.

When the "Face" of your franchise is not a skill player then I'd say your team needs to go into reconstructive surgery.

I would argue your comment about every team not needing an enforcer. I think each team does, they just do not need to be dressed every game and they need to be able to skate and pass. Kinda of like the way Ottawa uses McGratton and how Colorado uses Parker.

You have to play the matchups. If I am playing Anaheim, I dress an enforcer for that game. They have too many guys (Moen, Parros, O'Donnell, Pronger) who play with a tough edge and you have to combat that somehow. Same with Nashville and to some extent St. Louis.

All of the high skill players have enforcers on their team. Corsby has big Georges, Ovechkin has Brashear. Nash & Zherdev deserve somebody to watch their back. As much as I love Shelley, he fought well, but was a liability when he was out there.

westofyou
01-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I would argue your comment about every team not needing an enforcer.

I prefer enforcers who can skate and such, like Aaron Downey on the Wings.

Guys like Scott Parker are a waste of bench, he can't do squat but fight.

I remember the era when there were plenty of goons skating around, their need is there.. but I wouldn't waste my breath worrying about them, they are replaceable.

Sean_CaseyRules
01-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm not sure the face of the team was a guy who watched from the press box 60% of the time.

Jody was on the original Blue Jackets roster, and was THE most popular player on the team. No offense to Nash or Zherdev, but as what was said on the post-game show last night, "If you asked who was the leading points scorer on the Jackets, most kids would say, Shelley, that is if they didn't know it was Nash."

He was a great guy, and will be sorely missed by a lot of Jacket fans, even though the trade made sense, I still hate seeing a guy leave like that.

Its like when the Reds traded Casey, they didn't "need" him, but you still wanted to see him in a Reds uniform.

deltachi8
01-31-2008, 09:44 PM
The enforcer who does nothing else but fight is a waste of a roster spot and completely boring IMHO. I just shake my head each time the Sabres dress Andrew Peters....

SteelSD
02-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I prefer enforcers who can skate and such, like Aaron Downey on the Wings.

Guys like Scott Parker are a waste of bench, he can't do squat but fight.

I remember the era when there were plenty of goons skating around, their need is there.. but I wouldn't waste my breath worrying about them, they are replaceable.

I'm with you. What I like are enforcers who don't need to fight, even though they can, but are skilled enough to play great hockey. Call me a homer, but Ulf Samuelsson was one of those guys. In fact, to me, he's the personification of that guy. He was just plain nasty. And he could play the game.

BuckU
02-01-2008, 09:18 AM
The enforcer who does nothing else but fight is a waste of a roster spot and completely boring IMHO. I just shake my head each time the Sabres dress Andrew Peters....

I'm sure the skill players don't shake their heads in Buffalo. Was it Drury that got hit last year by Chris Neil and then things erupted and Peters ended up fighting 3 players (including the goalie Emery?)

Enforcers are a necessary evil in hockey. Hockey is the most violent team sport and enforcers police the game in many other ways than touching the ice. If you accept them for what they are worth and know they are not going to chip in much offensively, you can see their value.

Fans might not always like enforcers, but their teammates appreciate them and respect their contributions.

westofyou
02-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Fans might not always like enforcers, but their teammates appreciate them and respect their contributions.

They also appreciate guys who can skate, score and play defense.

Aspects of the game that are way more important in todays quick whistle game, the days of clutching and grabbing are gone, skill is needed to ride on the NHL bench, skill means goals... something the BJ's have a hard time doing most of the time, wouldn't it be nice to beat Nashville once ... every now and then?

Score some goals' BJ's and then maybe you can worry about carrying a fist with skates.

BuckU
02-01-2008, 01:17 PM
They also appreciate guys who can skate, score and play defense.

Aspects of the game that are way more important in todays quick whistle game, the days of clutching and grabbing are gone, skill is needed to ride on the NHL bench, skill means goals... something the BJ's have a hard time doing most of the time, wouldn't it be nice to beat Nashville once ... every now and then?

Score some goals' BJ's and then maybe you can worry about carrying a fist with skates.

The quick whsitle was evident only in the year follow the lockout.

Your're right, more goals would be nice for the CBJ. That's why they couldn't afford to let Shelley have that roster spot. A team like San Jose (and probably 85% of the others) can afford that spot. But let's not ignore the importance of an enforcer.

Read "The Code: The Unwritten Rules Of Fighting And Retaliation In The NHL" by Ross Bernstein. It details why the enforcer is a specialist that most teams need. It's a specialist role, similar to a LOOGY.

westofyou
02-01-2008, 01:26 PM
The quick whsitle was evident only in the year follow the lockout.

Your're right, more goals would be nice for the CBJ. That's why they couldn't afford to let Shelley have that roster spot. A team like San Jose (and probably 85% of the others) can afford that spot. But let's not ignore the importance of an enforcer.

Read "The Code: The Unwritten Rules Of Fighting And Retaliation In The NHL" by Ross Bernstein. It details why the enforcer is a specialist that most teams need. It's a specialist role, similar to a LOOGY.

I've been watching hockey for 38 years, I've got a firm handle on the need for an enforcer, and I'll take a guy like Tie Domi any day of the week, but guys like Scott Parker are nothing but a waste of roster space. Especially with today's rules and two refs.

This thread did get me jazzed enough to watch the classic Red Wings - Aves fight this morning, Darren McCarty kicked Lemieuxs butt... good times, good times.

Patrick Bateman
02-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I'd have to agree with WOY. Watching the Hawks trot out David Koci this season has been an embarassment.

BuckU
02-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I've been watching hockey for 38 years, I've got a firm handle on the need for an enforcer, and I'll take a guy like Tie Domi any day of the week, but guys like Scott Parker are nothing but a waste of roster space. Especially with today's rules and two refs.

This thread did get me jazzed enough to watch the classic Red Wings - Aves fight this morning, Darren McCarty kicked Lemieuxs butt... good times, good times.

Is that the one where Lemieux tutles? Funny stuff...

I'll take Domi too, and Larauq...guys who can put up 20 points a year an addition to the value as an enforcer. Truth is, there are more Parker's than Domi's employed. I'm guessing that the teams who employ them know they are a one-demisional waste of space, yet they still get jobs. That should indicate their importance and role in the sport.

BuckU
02-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd have to agree with WOY. Watching the Hawks trot out David Koci this season has been an embarassment.

Were you embarassed when Koci made Zach Stortini look like a little girl this year?

Moot point anyway, Koci is back in the AHL anyway. Chicago has enough guys behind him to fight (LaPointe, Eager, Burish). Eager fights just as much and can skate better.

Patrick Bateman
02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Were you embarassed when Koci made Zach Stortini look like a little girl this year?

I'll put that in the whoopity-doo pile. He ends up with a bloody face more often than he actually wins a fight. Plus I question whether he has any more actual hockey talent than me (and I suck). If you are going to be a slug, you may as well as least be able to win your fair share of fights.

Moot point anyway, Koci is back in the AHL anyway. Chicago has enough guys behind him to fight (LaPointe, Eager, Burish). Eager fights just as much and can skate better.

That's the whole point. In Eager, the Hawks actually get a fighter that can actually play some hockey. No qualms about guys like that. Good riddance to Koci. I'm much happier with Eager.

BuckU
02-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll put that in the whoopity-doo pile. He ends up with a bloody face more often than he actually wins a fight. Plus I question whether he has any more actual hockey talent than me (and I suck). If you are going to be a slug, you may as well as least be able to win your fair share of fights.

That's the whole point. In Eager, the Hawks actually get a fighter that can actually play some hockey. No qualms about guys like that. Good riddance to Koci. I'm much happier with Eager.

Agreed, I would be too

deltachi8
02-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm sure the skill players don't shake their heads in Buffalo. Was it Drury that got hit last year by Chris Neil and then things erupted and Peters ended up fighting 3 players (including the goalie Emery?)

Enforcers are a necessary evil in hockey. Hockey is the most violent team sport and enforcers police the game in many other ways than touching the ice. If you accept them for what they are worth and know they are not going to chip in much offensively, you can see their value.

I have no problem with a guy who can throw if he contributes something else to the game. I'll take a Domi or or Laraque or Ulf Samulson in his prime any time. Guys like Peters, Bolton, Parker, etc are a waste.

The hit on Drury may have upset the team but it was legal IMHO and team responded just fine with who was on the ice. Peters was an absolute and complete embarrassment that night (fighting a goaltender). Though Lindy Ruff should share the blame for ending out a goon who cant skate, shoot, play defense, stick handle or even fight.

Having guys like that in the league is not only a waste of roster space but it also keeps the NHL in garage league status even longer.

Patrick Bateman
04-06-2008, 04:00 AM
May as well bring this thread back up with NHL playoffs right around the corner.

Steel must be feeling better right now with Hossa in the fold, Fleury on top of his game, and Crosby back in the line-up. Pens' offense has ridiculous potential.

My Hawks fell short, barely, making things interesting till the end. If the Blues didn't suck so much and could hand the Preds a defeat, the Hawks might just be the surprise team in the west to match what the Caps did in the East. But alas, the future is bright, and I'll pleasantly look forward to next season. But man if they made it in, that would have been awesome. Get to play the Wings, who so far are 5 and 2 agains them this year. Would have been sweet to renew that rivalry and make the Wings start actually caring about the Hawks again. Hawks haven't been able to make that a relevant discussion since they have fallen off the table so much.

I'll be resorting to my number 2 team to cheer for, the Wild, and if the Avalanche lose tommorow, then I might just be able to see the Wild live in Calgary. I would love nothing more than to be one of the only 5 Wild fans in a playoff stadium filled with rowdy Flames fans.

So anyone have some fearless predictions? I'd like to see Montreal or the Pens come out of the east, and Minny or Calgary out of the West (just for fandom reasons).

deltachi8
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Anyone watching the Philly-Washington game tonight? (OK, judging by the Vs ratings, probably not).

That #8 guy for the Caps is pretty good, eh?

Fun game to watch....

Oxilon
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Anybody watching the Flyers/Capitals game right now? I knew it was going to be a quality game coming in sense it was game seven, but both teams are playing pretty equally right now. Oh, and Ovechkin is a man child if you didn't know.

Oxilon
04-22-2008, 08:37 PM
holy crap, what are the odds of that? both of us respond to a thread that hasn't been posted on in more than two weeks at the same time?

westofyou
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Anyone watching the Philly-Washington game tonight? (OK, judging by the Vs ratings, probably not).

That #8 guy for the Caps is pretty good, eh?

Fun game to watch....

Saving my watching for tonight's late game... go Flames, we want you in Detroit.

deltachi8
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
holy crap, what are the odds of that? both of us respond to a thread that hasn't been posted on in more than two weeks at the same time?

that is quite odd....

by the way- flyers cheated on that second goal...;)

deltachi8
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
great fun to watch. Washington seemed to dominate the play in the 3rd and OT, but the penalty by Poti turns out to be too much to overcome.

Now, onto the next game 7

NJReds
04-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm a Sharks fan, but their "turn it on" "turn it off" style of play is maddening. They have so much talent but they sleepwalk through long stretches of games. Good thing they took a $500K gamble on Roenick a week before the season started or their season would've been over last night.

westofyou
04-23-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm a Sharks fan, but their "turn it on" "turn it off" style of play is maddening. They have so much talent but they sleepwalk through long stretches of games. Good thing they took a $500K gamble on Roenick a week before the season started or their season would've been over last night.

Sharks are erratic on the ice, but boy at times they are sizzlin..... I'm going to be out of the country fo rthe next round, bummer... the Sharks and the Stars will be a good one.

Chip R
04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
The two games I saw of the MON-BOS series (Games 2 and 6) were certainly entertaining. I'm a Habs fan so it all worked out. If I'd have been home on Monday night I probably would have watched more of the hockey game than the Reds game. :)

Chip R
05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Looking at some of the players in the PHI-MON series, it's a bit of a shame some of them are so young thAT they can't grow playoff beards even if they wanted to. ;)

Raisor
05-03-2008, 09:38 PM
I still think the Thrashers have a shot in the playoffs.

Please?

Chip R
05-03-2008, 09:49 PM
MON loses. :cry:

Stewie
05-04-2008, 09:06 AM
MON loses. :cry:

PHI won. :)

To get to the conference finals from where they were last year is incredible.

For some inexplicable reason, TW digital cable in does not include Versus, so anytime the Flyers are on, I need to go to the local BW3 and try to convince one of the employees to change a TV to show hockey. I had versus when I lived in Dayton, but I move to Cincinnati, and it's gone. Ridiculous. Darn you Time Warner (angrily shakes fist).

Chip R
05-04-2008, 10:57 AM
PHI won. :)

To get to the conference finals from where they were last year is incredible.

For some inexplicable reason, TW digital cable in does not include Versus, so anytime the Flyers are on, I need to go to the local BW3 and try to convince one of the employees to change a TV to show hockey. I had versus when I lived in Dayton, but I move to Cincinnati, and it's gone. Ridiculous. Darn you Time Warner (angrily shakes fist).

Congrats. After they got within 1 it just took all the steam out of the Habs and the home crowd.

DirecTv is your friend.

puca
05-04-2008, 12:28 PM
I just found out that in NE Ohio, where I now unfortunately live, the Penguins/Rangers game on NBC is being pre-empted for Indians baseball.

ugh....and double ugh

Patrick Bateman
05-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Tough loss there Chip. I had put my hat in the Montreal ring too with my teams out of it (original 6 team, Canadian team), but I didn't have much of an optimistic feeling in this series after watching them struggle against a very poor Bruins team.

Still, a great season for the Habs, with lots of young talent, so nothing to be displeased about in the end. The best is yet to come.

Yachtzee
05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I just found out that in NE Ohio, where I now unfortunately live, the Penguins/Rangers game on NBC is being pre-empted for Indians baseball.

ugh....and double ugh

Yeah, I had visitors from hockey country express consternation at that. The WKYC deal, while good for Indians fans without cable, is bad news for fans of sports who have exclusive broadcast deals with NBC.

westofyou
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
It's official: Wings play outdoors at Wrigley on Jan. 1

It's official: Wings play outdoors at Wrigley on Jan. 1

BY GEORGE SIPPLE FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER July 17, 2008

James Wisniewski grew up in Canton dreaming of playing hockey and baseball.

Now the Chicago defenseman will get a chance to play hockey at Wrigley Field when the Blackhawks host the Red Wings on New Year's Day.

The Winter Classic 2009, featuring two Original Six clubs in one of the great baseball stadiums, will be the 701st meeting between the teams.

No other NHL teams have met more times in the regular season.

The 1 p.m. game will be broadcast nationally by NBC, and by CBC and RDS throughout Canada.

"That's once-in-a-lifetime right there," Wisniewski said Wednesday.

The Wings will forgo their annual New Year's Eve game to play in the Classic.

General manager Ken Holland has requested 5,000 tickets from the league, some of which would be given to players' families. While it's not known how remaining tickets will be distributed, Holland said he hoped fans would be able to "spend New Year's Eve in Chicago and then watch your Red Wings play on New Year's Day."

Echoing Wisniewski, he added: "That's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

Wisniewski, addressing rumors that the Winter Classic might have been played at Yankee Stadium in New York, said: "Somehow, we ended up getting it. I think it's going to be pretty good, especially with our team on the rise and Detroit the defending Stanley Cup champions."

Last year's Winter Classic was played at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the Buffalo Bills. The Pittsburgh Penguins beat the Buffalo Sabres, 2-1, in a shoot-out that drew immense publicity for the league and a record crowd of 71,217.