PDA

View Full Version : New Star Trek movie?????

RBA
10-21-2007, 08:05 PM
I enjoyed the original series the best of all the Star Trek series. Can these new actors do the original series justice? I'm thinking it's going to be better.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-filmcast22oct22,0,3293259.story?coll=la-home-entertainment

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-filmcast22oct22,0,3293259.story?coll=la-home-entertainment
From the Los Angeles Times
MOVIES

Chris Pine will play young Kirk in newest 'Star Trek' movie

Paramount confirms that the actor will join previously announced cast: Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, John Cho, ZoŽ Saldana and Anton Yelchin.
From the Times Wire Reports

October 22, 2007

The bridge of the starship Enterprise is filling up.

Chris Pine, who had been in talks to join the cast of J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" flick, will play the young James Kirk, while Karl Urban will take on the role of Dr. Leonard McCoy, Paramount says.

They join previously announced cast members Zachary Quinto as Vulcan scientist Spock, Simon Pegg as engineer Scotty, John Cho as helmsman Sulu, ZoŽ Saldana as communications officer Uhura and Anton Yelchin as navigator Chekov.

Leonard Nimoy, who played Enterprise science officer Spock in the 1960s TV series and six "Star Trek" feature films, also will appear as an older version of the Vulcan.

Eric Bana, the star of Steven Spielberg's "Munich" and Ang Lee's "Hulk," is playing a villain in the "Trek" film, which begins shooting in November and is due out in December 2008.

Degenerate39
10-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Horrible casting

GAC
10-21-2007, 08:39 PM
I read where it's about a much younger Capt Kirk and and Enterprise crew.

Some thing like the Flintstone Kids? :lol:

Caveat Emperor
10-21-2007, 09:25 PM
Horrible casting

Actually, I quite like the casting thus far.

Simon Pegg is a fantastic choice for Scotty -- his work in "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" is beyond awesome.

And...come on, Sulu is being played by the dude from Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle...

How can this NOT work?

MrCinatit
10-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I am a minor-league Trekki (meaning I love all of the shows, but even I want to punch those who dress up in the uniforms in the nose). I kind of like the casting - Quinto as Spock is a very interesting choice. The thought of Zoe Saldana in the old Uhura uniform is yummy.
Pegg and Cho are very good choices, as well - they could add a lot of comedic relief which always bubbled under the surface of the original.
Personally, I am kind of hoping this is not a one time deal and helps resurrect the series (though keeping it at a well-developed movie every three or so years would be good enough for me)

KronoRed
10-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Star Trek stopped being interesting 10 years ago, this is just the 'Enterprise' idea taken to another level.

Maybe they can come up with something new instead of more rehashing.

Nah! ;)

westofyou
10-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Star Trek stopped being interesting 40 years ago,

Fixed that for ya.

KronoRed
10-22-2007, 01:42 PM
:p:

Degenerate39
10-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Shatner's Kirk Not Aboard for New 'Trek'
Friday October 26 3:20 PM ET

The original Capt. Kirk is disheartened he won't get to boldly go anywhere with his old pal Spock in the new "Star Trek" movie. While Leonard Nimoy is reprising his role as the pointy-eared Vulcan in next year's science-fiction flick, William Shatner is not on board as Kirk.

"I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner, 76, told The Associated Press on Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."

Director J.J. Abrams announced last summer that Nimoy would reprise the role he originated opposite Shatner in the 1960s television show and played again in six big-screen adventures.

Abrams said Shatner probably would have a part in the film, which is due in theaters in December 2008. But while Shatner said he had a couple of meetings with Abrams, nothing came of it.

Abrams' "Trek" film, whose plot is being kept under wraps by distributor Paramount, recounts an early adventure for the crew of the starship Enterprise, with Chris Pines as the young Kirk and Zachary Quinto as the young Spock.

The cast includes Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy, Simon Pegg as engineer Scott, John Cho as helmsman Sulu, Zoe Saldana as communications officer Uhura and Anton Yelchin as navigator Chekov, roles respectively originated by DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols and Walter Koenig.

Past "Trek" films presented an obstacle to the revival of Shatner's Kirk, who died at the end of 1994's "Star Trek: Generations."

But in science fiction, you can never truly say die. Spock was killed off in 1982's "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan" then resurrected in 1984's "Star Trek: The Search for Spock," with Nimoy's Vulcan living on to co-star in three more films, two episodes of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and now Abrams' new movie.

"I've got a lot to do," said Shatner, whose current work includes the TV show "Boston Legal," narration for the Christmas spoof "Stalking Santa" due on DVD on Nov. 6, and the prequel "Star Trek: Academy Collision Course," a novel chronicling Kirk and Spock's first meeting.

Shatner says of "Star Trek": "Having been in on the creation of it, I was hoping to be in on the re-creation."

Unassisted
10-27-2007, 11:40 AM
"I couldn't believe it. I'm not in the movie at all. Leonard, God bless his heart, is in, but not me," Shatner, 76, told The Associated Press on Thursday. "I thought, what a decision to make, since it obviously is a decision not to make use of the popularity I have to ensure the movie has good box office. It didn't seem to be a wise business decision."

I like Shatner, but I think his ability to steal scenes and grab headlines would have made him a poor fit for a film that's trying to go a new direction. This quote is a perfect example.

Nimoy will fade into the background if he's asked, and I suspect that his role will be tiny. I doubt Shatner would stand for that.

Unassisted
02-14-2008, 03:07 PM
The release of the new Star Trek film has been pushed back to May 2009 (http://www.variety.com/VR1117980912.html), thanks to the writer's strike.

02-14-2008, 03:16 PM
The release of the new Star Trek film has been pushed back to May 2009 (http://www.variety.com/VR1117980912.html), thanks to the writer's strike.

I think Starfleet is union, so it's cool.:)

Caveat Emperor
02-14-2008, 04:19 PM

I'd been expecting this for a while -- every report I'd read on this film since November has been regarding frustrations over not being able to do re-writes on set.

I'd rather they take the time and get this one right, because another box office bomb will probably shelve the franchise for a decade or so.

KronoRed
02-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I'd rather they take the time and get this one right, because another box office bomb will probably shelve the franchise for a decade or so.

Never, the last two TV series and the last two movies have been failures, yet they keep at it.

Rojo
02-14-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't know any of those actors.

The ice floe awaits.

jimbo
02-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Never, the last two TV series and the last two movies have been failures, yet they keep at it.

While I agree with you on the last two movies, I'm not sure how you can call Voyager and Deep Space Nine failures. They did not reach the popularity that TNG did, but they both lasted for 7 seasons and over 170 episodes, and always maintained solid ratings. I was not a big fan of DSN, but I loved Voyager and still enjoy watching it on Spike.

Unless you are thinking of Enterprise, which I never got into and agree with you to a degree. It did last 4 seasons and 98 episodes, but always fought low ratings. I do remember it getting good reviews by the critics, but I think the franchise just needed a break by that time.

Nemesis was an absolute joke though, and painful to watch being the big Trek fan that I am.

Here is a link to the trailer for the new movie, for those who haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllSZW_YLk8

KronoRed
02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Voyager and Enterprise survived for as long as they did because they were on UPN, anywhere else and it would have been over quick...of course Paramount running two trek series at the same time was an insane mistake.

pahster
11-17-2008, 03:00 PM
New trailer up.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

TRF
11-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Sylar as Spock?

ok that works for me.

SunDeck
11-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I just don't see how it works to try to cast people as younger versions of the original crew because there were such distinct mannerisms and accents. Even the deadpan Sulu.

savafan
11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Sylar as Spock?

ok that works for me.

He's got the look...

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/QuintoSpock2.jpg

Raisor
11-17-2008, 06:13 PM
I really want to hate this, but the trailer is pretty awesome.

KronoRed
11-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Two thumbs down. Is that Spock trying to kill Kirk at one point? yeah.....

Then again, I'm a Star Trek fan, this movie isn't being made for me.

jimbo
11-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Trailer looks awesome, can't wait.

savafan
11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm kinda psyched for this after seeing the trailer. My fiancee thinks it looks amazing, and the only Trek thing she's ever seen is VI, The Undiscovered Country, but she's a JJ Abrams fan.

pahster
11-17-2008, 07:04 PM

I figure Abrams can't screw it up worse than Berman et al. have over the past dozen years or so, so I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt for now.

Degenerate39
11-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't know what to think of this

Caveat Emperor
11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I figure Abrams can't screw it up worse than Berman et al. have over the past dozen years or so, so I'll give JJ the benefit of the doubt for now.

Pretty much my thought. I'm no JJ Abrams fan, but anything has to be better than the crap they fed Star Trek fans for years under the Rick Berman regime.

It's a telling sign that the only good things to come out of Star Trek since Gene Roddenberry died are the things he had nothing to do with (DS9 w/ Ira Steven Behr, and the last season of 'Enterprise' w/ Manny Coto).

GAC
11-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I really want to hate this, but the trailer is pretty awesome.

I agree. Not going to pan something I haven't really haven't had the opportunity to see yet.

The whole concept of doing a movie about the beginning, concerning Kirk and Spock, is very intriguing.... as long as it's done right.

The key is preserving the heritage and image that every Trekkie has ingrained into their psyche who and what these icons represent, and how they should be portrayed. If the movie strays too far, then it will upset a lot of fans.

Raisor
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM

Like Spock hasn't tried to kill Kirk before.

It's a seperate time line, which we've seen before.

Raisor
11-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Pretty much my thought. I'm no JJ Abrams fan, but anything has to be better than the crap they fed Star Trek fans for years under the Rick Berman regime.

It's a telling sign that the only good things to come out of Star Trek since Gene Roddenberry died are the things he had nothing to do with (DS9 w/ Ira Steven Behr, and the last season of 'Enterprise' w/ Manny Coto).

DS9 is still the single best ST series. You aren't going to find anyone that loves TNG more the me, but I love DS9 even more.

I'm rewatching it for the first time in years, and it's still the awesome. There's quite a few stinkers (usually dealing with Quark), but on the whole, there's nothing quite like it.

Degenerate39
11-17-2008, 09:23 PM
I never cared for DS9 my self. I always liked Voyager the best out of the series.

BuckeyeRed27
11-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Looks awesome
Gotta love Sylar

KronoRed
11-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Like Spock hasn't tried to kill Kirk before.

It's a seperate time line, which we've seen before.

Boldy going backwards again are we? ;)

It's funny that Harve Bennet who produced the Trek movies 2-5 had this very same idea way back in 1987, a Kirk and Spock at the academy idea, only took 20 years.

You're right on about DS9 though.

Raisor
11-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Boldy going backwards again are we? ;)

It's funny that Harve Bennet who produced the Trek movies 2-5 had this very same idea way back in 1987, a Kirk and Spock at the academy idea, only took 20 years.

You're right on about DS9 though.

I'm quite prepared to hate the new movie, but on a first look the trailer looked pretty awesome, so unless something changes my mind I'll go watch the movie.

Alternate universes/timelines are very star trek.

redsfanmia
11-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Is this a prequel? It worked well for Star Wars so lets see how it works for Star Trek. I did enjoy the series Enterprise so maybe it will work.

pahster
11-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Is this a prequel? It worked well for Star Wars so lets see how it works for Star Trek. I did enjoy the series Enterprise so maybe it will work.

:runawaycr

Caveat Emperor
11-18-2008, 01:57 PM
DS9 is still the single best ST series. You aren't going to find anyone that loves TNG more the me, but I love DS9 even more.

I'm rewatching it for the first time in years, and it's still the awesome. There's quite a few stinkers (usually dealing with Quark), but on the whole, there's nothing quite like it.

I've managed to finally get all seven seasons of DS9 on DVD by buying used whenever I'm at an FYE or other place that sells pre-owned box sets.

Rewatching it (I'm in the middle of S4 right now) I discovered that the first season wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered, but still really slow. Once they shifted focus on the show from "last outpost on the far reaches of space" to "first line of defense in the largest war in galactic history" the show really took off. It also corresponds (roughly) to when Avery Brooks started rocking the cueball & goatee look.

And I've also decided officially that the Defiant (in all it's Millenium Falcon-esq flory) is the coolest spaceship in the history of televised science fiction.

TRF
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
And I've also decided officially that the Defiant (in all it's Millenium Falcon-esq flory) is the coolest spaceship in the history of televised science fiction.

The best lines from Star Trek: First Contact

Riker: tough little ship.
Worf: Little?!

Raisor
11-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Rewatching it (I'm in the middle of S4 right now) I discovered that the first season wasn't nearly as bad as I remembered, but still really slow. Once they shifted focus on the show from "last outpost on the far reaches of space" to "first line of defense in the largest war in galactic history" the show really took off. It also corresponds (roughly) to when Avery Brooks started rocking the cueball & goatee look.

He's freaking HAWK~! from Spencer for Hire. I'm sure he went to the producers and said, "listen, I'm freaking HAWK~! from Spencer for Hire, I'm shaving my head and growing a goatee and if you say anything about it....."

You don't mess with Hawk.

Forget Enterprise (no bloody A, no bloody B...) and Enterterprise D, when the Defiant gets destroyed I choked up.

Unassisted
11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
If the trailer doesn't whet your appetite enough, here's a report from someone who got to preview 4 scenes from the film.

http://latinoreview.com/news/el-mayimbe-checks-out-the-star-trek-presentation-5734

GAC
11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Winona Ryder plays Spock's mom?

Shop lifters on Vulcan! Kinky! :lol:

A young Kirk gets down in a bar fight after hitting on Uhura. Does Janet Jackson play Uhura? ;)

Degenerate39
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
As much as I like Simon Pegg I just don't see him as Scotty

Raisor
11-18-2008, 08:32 PM
As much as I like Simon Pegg I just don't see him as Scotty

They only casting I'm not happy with is Pine as Kirk. Really? Him?

Degenerate39
11-18-2008, 08:54 PM
They only casting I'm not happy with is Pine as Kirk. Really? Him?

I agree with that. I'm not crazy about any of the cast except for Bana and Sylar.

Raisor
11-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with that. I'm not crazy about any of the cast except for Bana and Sylar.

Harold from Harold & Kumar as Sulu? Sold.

Pegg as Scotty? Sold

Urban as McCoy? Sold with an extra slice of AWESOME. With a marshmellow.

Quinto appears to have figured out how to resequence his genes into 1960's Leonard Nimoy. Sold.

Chris Pine? You mean the Chris Pine that was in such classics as The Princess Diaries 2: Electric Boogaloo?

That Chris Pine? Really? Him? Not sold.

Raisor
11-18-2008, 09:08 PM
By the way, I'd cast Urban last week as Thor in the upcoming Marvel film.

savafan
11-18-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm just curious, does this film negate the Enterprise series?

savafan
11-18-2008, 09:47 PM
If the trailer doesn't whet your appetite enough, here's a report from someone who got to preview 4 scenes from the film.

http://latinoreview.com/news/el-mayimbe-checks-out-the-star-trek-presentation-5734

Nice report, glad to see Abrams utilize Pike.

Raisor
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM

The following could be SPOILERISH! If you don't want to read something that might SPOIL Star Trek XI then read something else.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

To answer the question, the new movie should not contridict anything. It supposedly begins after Nemesis, invovles time travel and alternate timelines.

KronoRed
11-18-2008, 10:09 PM

We can only hope that series is forgotten.

Along with Voyager :cool:

KronoRed-Star Trek zealot.

Raisor
11-18-2008, 10:16 PM
We can only hope that series is forgotten.

Along with Voyager :cool:

KronoRed-Star Trek zealot.

One of these days I'm going to give Enterprise a second chance. Never got past the second season, but I hear good things about season four.

Degenerate39
11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
Harold from Harold & Kumar as Sulu? Sold.

Pegg as Scotty? Sold

Urban as McCoy? Sold with an extra slice of AWESOME. With a marshmellow.

Quinto appears to have figured out how to resequence his genes into 1960's Leonard Nimoy. Sold.

Chris Pine? You mean the Chris Pine that was in such classics as The Princess Diaries 2: Electric Boogaloo?

That Chris Pine? Really? Him? Not sold.

I've never heard of Urban until this movie.

I'm hoping for the best with Pegg. But the others I'm pretty worried about.

Raisor
11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I've never heard of Urban until this movie.

I'm hoping for the best with Pegg. But the others I'm pretty worried about.

Urban had a pretty good part in a small independent series of films you might have heard about.

The hobbits walking around movies....

:thumbup:

Degenerate39
11-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Urban had a pretty good part in a small independent series of films you might have heard about.

The hobbits walking around movies....

:thumbup:

I've only seen the first one. Never got into those ol' hobbit movies.

Caveat Emperor
11-19-2008, 03:46 PM
One of these days I'm going to give Enterprise a second chance. Never got past the second season, but I hear good things about season four.

If you watched nothing but the last half of S3 Enterprise and then S4, you'd wonder why in the hell the show got cancelled.

The writing in S4 was unbelievably good, up there with the best of TNG (though still not up to par with the best of DS9). They finally figured out how to write Scott Bakula's Archer character as a non-neanderthal and did a near reboot of T'Pol into a watchable character. They also finally gave up trying to do the whole "ensamble" cast thing, and started focusing in almost exclusively on Archer, T'Pol, and Trip, which was a good thing.

If you can find ways to watch them, the 3 episode arc about the Vulcans was great television (especially the first episode), as was the 3 episode arc about the first Andorian/Human/Tellerite alliance. The episodes w/ Brent Spiner about the leftover embryos from the eugenics wars (and subsequent retconn of the non-bumpy Klingons) was good stuff too.

I kinda wish they'd given the S4 production team (which Berman wasn't involved with) another season. They really seemed to "get" what a prequel in the Star Trek universe was capable of.

GAC
11-19-2008, 07:54 PM
By the way, I'd cast Urban last week as Thor in the upcoming Marvel film.

I use to read Thor comics growing up. Always thought the premise was kinda corny. Don't see the character getting a huge part in the movie.

How about Sorbo as Thor?

http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/interviews/kevin_sorbo_01.jpg

I's really like to see Marvel do a Captain America movie circa WW2.

Raisor
11-19-2008, 08:06 PM
I's really like to see Marvel do a Captain America movie circa WW2.

Well then you're really going to enjoy 2010 then....

Thor, Cap, and The Avengers all get films over the next two years.

Plus IM2.

Urban as Thor would rock.

http://ac4.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/e5035ae3cd4ecb02

jimbo
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Has anyone seen this trailer on the movie's official website yet. Looks awesome, I cannot wait to see this movie.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

WebScorpion
01-22-2009, 03:30 AM
I think you get a better idea of the cast and some of their previous work by using the Internet Movie Datababase (IMDb). Plus, I really like this picture (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4214985728/tt0796366) of the crew. (sans Spock)

KittyDuran
09-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Bump...

Old thread - but new information!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/09/01/star-trek-is-heading-back-to-imax-theaters-this-weekend/

http://trekmovie.com/2009/09/01/star-trek-headed-back-to-imax-for-2nd-limited-run/

Star Trek is Heading Back to IMAX Theaters This Weekend!
September 1, 2009
by Alex Billington

IMAX has booked J.J. Abrams' Star Trek for a re-release this weekend in 85 theaters around the US and Canada. Originally released on May 8th, Star Trek only ran for two weeks in IMAX because they had to replace it with Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. It sounds like IMAX had a contractual obligation to run it longer and is making up for that. There is currently a downtime in IMAX and instead of filling it with boring documentaries, they've decided to run Star Trek for another two weeks until Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs opens on September 18th. Sounds like a great opportunity to go see it again!

Most movies usually play for four weeks in IMAX - Trek is now getting its last two. TrekMovie.com has a complete list of all 85 IMAX theaters that will be playing Star Trek and you can buy advance tickets now on IMAX.com. There have been some very interesting details revealed recently about the way IMAX works, such as the contracts they establish with studios and how hard it is to book movies in their theaters, like the screw up they made with the two week delay of Half-Blood Prince in IMAX.

Dom Heffner
09-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Nerd alert!

IMAX is Also offering $100 cash to anyone bringing a date, knowing full well they won't have to pay out a dime. ;)

Unassisted
09-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I guess that explains why it's not out on video yet. There are more $$$ to be wrung out of it at the box office.

Chip R
09-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Nerd alert!

IMAX is Also offering $100 cash to anyone bringing a date, knowing full well they won't have to pay out a dime. ;)

:laugh:

KittyDuran
09-03-2009, 09:40 AM
:laugh:You wanna go? :D

Chip R
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
You wanna go? :D

My date won't want to go. :p: