PDA

View Full Version : What's more difficult to accomplish in the NFL: To go winless or to go undefeated?

WMR
10-22-2007, 03:18 AM
Both seem really difficult to do... teams are vying to do both this season... which is more difficult? Parity is supposed to rule the day in the NFL these days...

macro
10-22-2007, 09:45 AM
It's more likely that a team will go winless than it is that one will go undefeated, in my opinion. Once teams get to 13-0 or 14-0, there is a great likelihood that they have sewn up home field advantage for the playoffs, so they're likely to rest players near the end of the season. The only way I see it happening is if their schedule is stacked at the end with weak teams, so that they win regardless of who rests.

As for the other, it will take a lot of bad luck for a team to go winless. There have been some pretty bad teams since the '76 Bucs, and all have found a way to win at least one.

KronoRed
10-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Apologies to Chip, but I think it would be neat if the only organization with an undefeated regular season also had the only season with an 0-16 record as well ;)

Chip R
10-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Apologies to Chip, but I think it would be neat if the only organization with an undefeated regular season also had the only season with an 0-16 record as well ;)

:thumbdown

WMR
10-22-2007, 05:28 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chip is a Dolphins fan? I didn't know! Poor guy!! ;)

Johnny Footstool
10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
If Ronnie Brown's knee ligaments are indeed torn, the Dolphins have a great shot at 0-16.

Caveat Emperor
10-22-2007, 05:37 PM
It's more likely that a team will go winless than it is that one will go undefeated, in my opinion. Once teams get to 13-0 or 14-0, there is a great likelihood that they have sewn up home field advantage for the playoffs, so they're likely to rest players near the end of the season. The only way I see it happening is if their schedule is stacked at the end with weak teams, so that they win regardless of who rests.

Opposite is also true, though -- scheduling will often work out that a really bad team will meet one of these teams that is "mailing it in" for Week 17 with no starters playing.

Thats a good way to get a W in an otherwise winless season.

LawFive
10-22-2007, 08:19 PM
If Ronnie Brown's knee ligaments are indeed torn...

ESPN confirms.

redsfanmia
10-22-2007, 08:51 PM
Any Cam Cameron lead team has a good shot to go winless. The Dolphins deserve going winless just for hiring that guy.

Highlifeman21
10-23-2007, 03:14 PM
16-0 is way more difficult than 0-16, IMO.

There's too much pressure to try to go undefeated, so a team would slip up in that pursuit, whereas winless teams seemingly have no pressure to win, but doesn't mean that'll guarantee a W.