PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn, Barry Bonds, and a 13 million option

AmarilloRed
10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
How About Bonds To The Reds?

Here's one we haven't considered: could Barry Bonds join the Reds? Home Run Derby discusses the Dusty Baker connection, while Sabernomics believes the Reds hired Dusty partially to show free agents they're serious. Sabernomics believes the Reds could even make a run at Alex Rodriguez. (Hat tip to Bleed Cubbie Blue on both links).

Bonds would be a welcome addition to any offense. But he only fits in with an NL team in left field. Adam Dunn resides there currently for Cincy, playing some of the worst LF defense in the game. So the loss on defense would be minimal. Dunn could then be moved to first base or sent packing. The latter option makes the most sense, since Joey Votto is ready and Scott Hatteberg is under contract.

The possible problem is that exercising Dunn's option for 2008 gives him full no-trade protection until June 15th. Last we heard, the Reds are likely to go for it. A Dunn-for-Bonds exchange only makes sense if the Reds score a good young pitcher for Dunn. Anyone have any reasonable trade scenarios involving Dunn?

I copied this off the mlbtraderumors.com link. It discusses the possibility that the Reds could pick up Adam Dunn's option, trade him for young pitching after June 15, and sign Barry Bonds to play left field. I have my doubts about this possibility, and I think it would be very expensive to have both Bonds and Dunn on the team at the same time. I imagine under this scenario the Reds would have to have a trade lined up before they would even think about signing Barry Bonds. Nevertheless, it is an interesting possibility. We could get the starting pitching or a couple of good relievers for Dunn, and we would get Barry Bonds to join the Reds. Barry Bonds is getting older however, and I am not sure how many good years he has left. He also would be more expensive than Dunn, but I think it would be good to have him play left field in the short term until we got some help from the minors. I would like to hear what the rest of you think about this. I hope we can sign Adam Dunn to a LTC, but if we can't, I think the Reds should consider this. I would like to hear what the rest of you think about this.

Z-Fly
10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Might as well sign Ricky Henderson as well. We would have a hall of fame outfield.

mroby85
10-23-2007, 02:18 PM
i don't think bonds is what we need. I wouldn't compare him to rickey henderson just yet, i just don't think it's a good fit for the team.

MasonBuzz3
10-23-2007, 02:20 PM
While I am not a fan of Barry Bonds or having him on the Reds. But I do not see this as being that far fetched. With Dusty and Jr here in Cincy, one would have to think that Bonds would entertain the idea of playing here. Trading Dunn for a good young starter to add to Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, and whomever would make a very good rotation in the NL. Not to mention if the Reds could acquire some bullpen help we could have a contender. I think most of us are pretty certain that the future OF of the team is Bruce, Stubbs, and Hamilton. If the Reds are seriously trying to prove that they are serious about contending then this is the time of move that I could see them making, whether its good or not, im leaning towards the latter.

Ahhhorsepoo
10-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I ABSOLUTELY HATE BONDS! let me say that first off.. but if we can trade dunn for cain or any of their great young arms, why not do it? bring barry here, to play 50-80 games in left, when junior needs a day off or hamilton gets hurt, since you also have hopper.. and sign bonds.. as much as I hate him.. and believe me there is NO ONE who hates bonds more than I.. but if we can get young pitching for dunn, especially a talent like cain, or liriano, or any great young arm, bonds replaces that offensive power immediately, and he has a much better plate eye, and would immediately draw fans with both bonds and griff in the outfield.. I say do it.. deal dunn for a young arm, get bonds for 1 year with an extra year option(club).. for say 12 or 13 million.. and then use bruce the second year if he is mature enough to come up..

this is the absolute only scenario i could ever think of actually being ok with bonds being on this team.. he is perfect for the situation of having a player just about ready to play everyday.. and losing adam dunns "power".. not like bonds in left field is worse than Dunn in left field.. dont tell me dunn is alot better.. please dont make yourself look that ignorant..

Casey
10-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Bonds is turning into a bigger liabilty in the outfield than Dunn. His knees just can't take playing in the field every day. Don't need him, don't want him.

MasonBuzz3
10-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Bonds is turning into a bigger liabilty in the outfield than Dunn. His knees just can't take playing in the field every day. Don't need him, don't want him.

just playing devil's advocate, but anyone think that Bonds would play a little 1b and Votto could be out in LF?

Degenerate39
10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Dunn is young Bonds isn't. Not to mention Dunn is in his prime.

Old NDN
10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
No thanks. One aging, injury prone superstar in the twilight of their career is enough.

GoReds33
10-23-2007, 03:30 PM
It's always fun to sit in left field, and hear some of the comments by the Bonds haters. That's always fun. On the serious side, Bonds is definitly not what we need. He is way too big of a distraction, and he doesn't have any draw factor anymore. Before it was the chase of Hank Aaron. Now he has nothing to prove. Spend wisely Mr. Krivsky.

AmarilloRed
10-23-2007, 04:08 PM
The one interesting thing I found from this is that the Reds might really be serious about going after free agents this year. I don't know if the Reds hired Dusty to show free agents they're serious, but i think it is good news for the organization if they are willing to go after the very best free agents. I imagine a lot of us would prefer the Reds to sign Dunn to a LTC, but we might consider trading him for pitching in June if we cannot re-sign him. As for signing free agents, I hope the Reds are open to going after the very best free agents. The person who originated this blog seems to think they are, and that is why he suggested the Reds will be going after Bonds and A-Rod. The Reds true need is pitching, and I imagine we will see them go after starting pitching and bullpen help. Still, I hope it's true, and Krivsky will work on bringing in the best free agents and work on getting the most he can in trades. This will be a pivotal off-season, and I hope the hiring of Dusty Baker will just be the start of many changes.

Bip Roberts
10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
If the reds went nuts in payroll and started to spend in the 100s of millions then sure bring in Arod.

Id take Arod playing in GABP for 25-30 million in a second.

stevekun
10-23-2007, 04:19 PM
NO TO BONDS

AmarilloRed
10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I would like them to bring the best free agents they can afford in. I have heard there will be 20 million extra dollars available this off-season. I expect Wayne will spend it wisely to improve the team. I don't expect the Reds to have a 100 million budget anytime soon.

GoReds33
10-23-2007, 06:34 PM
If the reds went nuts in payroll and started to spend in the 100s of millions then sure bring in Arod.

Id take Arod playing in GABP for 25-30 million in a second.ARod would have a 60 homer season at GABP. Yankee stadium is a very pitcher friendly park in the alleys. He would kill here. Especially with the NL pitching.:)

gedred69
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Ironically, several years ago when Jr. was still in Seattle and in his prime, Bonds was quoted as saying he'd; "take a pay cut to play along side Griffey". Too bad they are both way down the hill on the backside of their careers now. This would be the opposite direction of where this team is aiming to go. Stick with the plan for, Hamilton, Bruce, Dorn, Stubbs, et al, to become the not-so-distant future OF. Hang in there folks. This team is going to be very, very good. And it could even happen as soon as '08.

Bip Roberts
10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
ARod would have a 60 homer season at GABP. Yankee stadium is a very pitcher friendly park in the alleys. He would kill here. Especially with the NL pitching.:)

one thing is for sure i wouldnt mind arod in a reds uni. His contract demands are silly though, not so much the money but the length. Dump dunn and adding arod would blow my mind. It wouldnt really even be adding much payroll. hell we could add arod for 30 million and not even have to raise payroll.

Vada Pinson Fan
10-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Bonds would be a bad influence on the Reds young players with the attitude Barry has.
I just posted "No" to trying to get Torii Hunter (we need PITCHING) and the same goes for Bonds. BB has bad knees and is better off playing in the American League as a DH. Not in Cincy as a DL occupant. Bonds' alledged past may catch up with him in 2008. Why hang the penalty on the Reds should there be one?

BLEEDS
10-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I would reply to this thread, however my warning % is currently at 80%...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

as_v_1
10-26-2007, 08:16 PM
The last thing we need is an old washed up Outfielder with bad knees, and a worse attitude .

bounty37h
10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
If the Reds ever signed Bonds, I would pack my Reds jersey and stuff in mothballs and bring it back out when he left; just enjoying baseball for the game itself, but not a team until he left.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2007, 11:15 AM
If the Reds ever signed Bonds, I would pack my Reds jersey and stuff in mothballs and bring it back out when he left; just enjoying baseball for the game itself, but not a team until he left.

agree