PDA

View Full Version : NBA fans? Heat/Minnesota trade...

TeamSelig
10-24-2007, 03:56 PM
What do you guys thinks? At first I thought it was a huge rip off in favor of Miami.

Miami receives:
- Ricky Davis
- Mark Blount

Minnesota receives:
- Antoine Walker
- Michael Doleac
- 1st Rd pick

But then I found out that after the season there is a team option for Antoine Walker, meaning Minnesota trades one expiring for two and they get out of Blounts long/big contract, with a probable late 1st round pick to boot. Plus, this helps them lose more games to grab a top pick in the next draft. The trade actually works out well for both teams.

Miami gets more big man depth, and another good wing man (and third scoring option). They will probably run:

Williams
Wade
Davis
Haslem
Shaq

I'm not sure if Minnesota will be able to have a big free agency signing or not. They will have to resign Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, and Craig Smith. They will currently lose:

- Ratliff 11.6 million
- Walker 6 million
- Doleac 3.1 million
- Telfair 2.5 million

Joseph
10-24-2007, 03:58 PM
What is this NBA you speak of?

Looks like Miami is the winner in all seriousness. 'toine has been a problem for years now and I can't see him doing well in Minny unless they want to make him option #1.

timbok
10-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Sounds like a major ripoff for the HEAT

HotCorner
10-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Expiring contracts in the NBA are gold. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Wolves ship 'Toine elsewhere for another draft pick.

guttle11
10-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Any time you get rid of Rickey Davis, you win the trade automatically.

RedsManRick
10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Son of a... Ricky Davis is my starting PG for my fantasy team. I figured with KG gone, he'd put up 22 a night.

I can definitely see it as a win/win for a Wovles team that needs to rebuild as fully as possible and a Heat team whose window is quickly closing with Shaq on the way down.

texasdave
10-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Any time you get rid of Rickey Davis, you win the trade automatically.

That's odd. I was thinking the very same thing about Antoine Walker.

guttle11
10-24-2007, 07:06 PM
That's odd. I was thinking the very same thing about Antoine Walker.

He'll be able to shoot at will in Minnesota. He'll be happy, put up good enough numbers for a contender to take a chance on him, and then will proceed to mail it in and play his 3pt line to 3pt line style of basketball.

WMR
10-24-2007, 07:25 PM
He'll be able to shoot at will in Minnesota. He'll be happy, put up good enough numbers for a contender to take a chance on him, and then will proceed to mail it in and play his 3pt line to 3pt line style of basketball.

:laugh:

The funny thing is, Toine is actually a pretty darn good post-up player. It's just a matter of hog-tying him into playing down there.

Riley actually did better than most... he still took too many ill-advised shots though. Who's the head coach now at Minnesota? If they're not a strong presence, he'll run wild shooting the rock.

IowaRed
10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Son of a... Ricky Davis is my starting PG for my fantasy team. I figured with KG gone, he'd put up 22 a night.

In what league does Davis qualify as a PG? Last year Walker shot 39% from the field and 44% from the line. It seems the key to defending him is letting him take horrible shots and if he gets anything resembling a good look, put him on the line.

Betterread
10-24-2007, 08:29 PM
The wolves had to deal blount - for 3 years left on his contract and his non-defense. Ricky was dealt because there are 8 guys (mccants, Buckner, Jaric, Brewer, Gomes, Green and Craig Smith) at the 2 and 3 positions for the Wolves (Jaric must be dealt also) and a lot of these guys are young and need the playing time.
I thought they would get something back though. 'Toine, and Doleac don't do much for me. Walker better not start - he's awful. At least they get a #1 pick.
I'm surprised at The Heat - Davis and Blount don't seem like Riley type of players

RedsManRick
10-24-2007, 10:14 PM
In what league does Davis qualify as a PG? Last year Walker shot 39% from the field and 44% from the line. It seems the key to defending him is letting him take horrible shots and if he gets anything resembling a good look, put him on the line.

D'oh -- just plain 'ol G spot. Billups and Redd at the point and shooting guard respectively. Even still, it hurts. His scoring was where is value lies and that's definitely gonna take a hit.

TeamSelig
10-25-2007, 04:45 PM
From what i've heard, Toine won't play at in Minnesota. They are supposedly going to buy him out. It would be a good idea IMO.

And some rumors had him going to Boston, but I dunno how legit the rumor was.

WMR
10-25-2007, 04:47 PM
From what i've heard, Toine won't play at in Minnesota. They are supposedly going to buy him out. It would be a good idea IMO.

And some rumors had him going to Boston, but I dunno how legit the rumor was.

That would be hilarious.

GoReds33
10-25-2007, 08:08 PM
I think that they should have kept Walker. He can still put up the numbers. I think that Minnesota got a steal, but I don't know much about the players Miami is getting.

TeamSelig
10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Ricky Davis is a good offensive guard, really athletic. Hard to guard, explosive, quick, etc. Downside? Bad attitude, sometimes a ball hog, has an ego, tough to coach, etc. Miami has enough leadership though to prevent him from doing anything too crazy.

Mark Blount is a mediocre center, not bad on D or offense. He isn't a bad player at all, but has a big & long contract. He is the main reason Minnesota did this trade, to get his numbers off the books. I'm not sure how much he will play in Miami, unless if he logs in some minutes at PF, which is possible. More then likely though, Zo and Shaq's minutes will be lowered a little for health reasons. You can usually bank on a little "vacation" in the middle of the season for Shaq, and they will be fine with Blount in there.

Value and talent wise, Miami wins big time. But if you look at the overall picture and include financial issues and contracts, it really helps both teams.

NJReds
10-26-2007, 10:14 AM
For what it's worth, Wayne Simien also went to Minnesota as part of the deal. But he hasn't done so much in his brief NBA career.

Razor Shines
10-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Is it possible for two teams to make a trade and they both get worse?

WMR
10-28-2007, 02:10 AM
Razor, it's killing me, what movie is that quote from?

Razor Shines
10-28-2007, 02:15 AM
Razor, it's killing me, what movie is that quote from?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783226799.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
It was on TV recently and I watched it. For some reason that line stuck in my head for a while.

WMR
10-28-2007, 03:14 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783226799.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
It was on TV recently and I watched it. For some reason that line stuck in my head for a while.

YES!!! I love classic Steve Martin!!

Have you seen the Jiminy Glick movie? (the character done by Martin Short) The movie is only so-so, but he has a couple HILARIOUS interviews in that movie with Steve Martin and Kurt Russell.

Razor Shines
10-28-2007, 03:20 AM
YES!!! I love classic Steve Martin!!

Have you seen the Jiminy Glick movie? (the character done by Martin Short) The movie is only so-so, but he has a couple HILARIOUS interviews in that movie with Steve Martin and Kurt Russell.

I haven't seen it, I'll have to check it out. I think the last thing I watched with Martin Short in it was Arrested Development.

WMR
10-28-2007, 03:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGO25kNP3M&NR=1

This puts me in tears.