PDA

View Full Version : Boston College vs. Virginia Tech IN BLACKSBURG ... TONIGHT ... 10/25/07

WMR
10-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Who ya got?

I really think Boston College is going down tonight.

This should be a phenomenal game to watch.

Cedric
10-25-2007, 05:14 PM
I've never seen either team play. I hear that Ryan is very good and I suspect Virginia Tech is great on special teams and undisciplined everywhere else. Is that at all correct?

Virginia Tech will always implode and self destruct at one point in any season because they aren't a team. The only time they didn't was because they had a freak athlete at the college level.

KronoRed
10-25-2007, 06:09 PM
BC is on a mission.

BuckeyeRed27
10-25-2007, 06:34 PM
The only time I've seen VT play was when LSU beat them to a pulp. I haven't seen BC play outside of highlights. So in my expert opinion I think it will be a good game won by BC if they win the turnover battle.

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2007, 07:37 PM
VT wins. Wake Forest in the only decent team BC has beaten, and Wake lost to a pitiful Nebraska team.

GoReds33
10-25-2007, 08:28 PM
There are more important things, like Survivor and the World Series to watch. I will catch the highlights though.

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2007, 11:03 PM
Great decision by Va Tech to switch to the prevent defense after their real defense had shutout BC for the first 57 minutes of the game. Now they are going to lose because of that idiotic decision. Some coaches just don't get it.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Great decision by Va Tech to switch to the prevent defense after their real defense had shutout BC for the first 57 minutes of the game. Now they are going to lose because of that idiotic decision. Some coaches just don't get it.

I've always hated the prevent defense and I always will.

As I type that, BC scores and moves ahead with 11 seconds left.

Boo.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Frank Beamer isn't that bright.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:08 PM
What do they say... the only thing a prevent defense prevents is your team from winning?

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Va Tech loses after holding a 10-0 lead with three minutes left all thanks to the stupid decision to switch to prevent defense. Virginia Tech deserved to lose that game. Prevent defense prevents you from winning. When will coaches learn? Frank Beamer choked this game away.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Talk about helping out your Heisman chances!

Matt Ryan should send Frank Beamer a fruit basket.

guttle11
10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Wow.

Give him the Heisman.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Haha, you can tell it's a Va Tech person running the clock... they didn't remove a single second from the kickoff until the ref made them... only took two seconds off for the first play and the ref made them take off another second...

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2007, 11:13 PM
No way Ryan should win the Heisman over a guy like Dennis Dixon if Oregon wins out.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:13 PM
No way Ryan should win the Heisman over a guy like Dennis Dixon if Oregon wins out.

::cough, cough:: Mr. Pac-10 ::cough, cough:: :laugh:

BuckeyeRed27
10-25-2007, 11:15 PM
Crazy comeback. Dixon will need a "signature win" if he wants to beat out Ryan assuming both win out.

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2007, 11:17 PM
::cough, cough:: Mr. Pac-10 ::cough, cough:: :laugh:

That has nothing to do with it. Dixon has played tougher competition and has better numbers IMO.

guttle11
10-25-2007, 11:18 PM
Dixon had two huge picks in the Cal loss. Ryan just led his team to a miracle win in a very tough stadium, throwing unreal passes along the way.

Ryan has to be the leader. Shouldn't even be a debate at the moment.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:19 PM
That has nothing to do with it. Dixon has played tougher competition and has better numbers IMO.

Just giving you a hard time.

I think Ryan is in the lead right now... just way more exposure as much as anything else.

And I love Dixon's game. I listed him in that Heisman thread as a darkhorse to win the Heisman before anyone else was pimping him.

By the way: How did you become a USC fan? Do you have west coast roots?

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Just giving you a hard time.

I think Ryan is in the lead right now... just way more exposure as much as anything else.

And I love Dixon's game. I listed him in that Heisman thread as a darkhorse to win the Heisman before anyone else was pimping him.

By the way: How did you become a USC fan? Do you have west coast roots?

No west coast roots at all. Never even been there. I just love west coast football. It's a lot more entertaining.

As for USC...Carson Palmer is the reason I became a USC fan. I had always loved the Pac-10 but Carson is the reason I became a fan of SC.

kyred14
10-25-2007, 11:23 PM

Tebow and Woodson have better numbers than Ryan, and both have played much better competition than anyone in the country. But they haven't done anything like what I just saw. Ryan is the leader simply because of those last two drives. That dude is a legend in Boston the rest of his life.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
No west coast roots at all. Never even been there. I just love west coast football. It's a lot more entertaining.

As for USC...Carson Palmer is the reason I became a USC fan.

Carson is the man.

Sounds like they're going to give the reins back to Booty? You were pretty vocal in your support of Sanchez... still think it's the right move?

OnBaseMachine
10-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Carson is the man.

Sounds like they're going to give the reins back to Booty? You were pretty vocal in your support of Sanchez... still think it's the right move?

Nah...Sanchez is starting again this week. He's played great since halftime of the Arizona game. I think he'll remain the starter from here on out. Kid is a stud. He's four inches taller than Booty and can move around in the pocket. Booty is a fine QB but Sanchez has superstar potential.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Nah...Sanchez is starting again this week. He's played great since halftime of the Arizona game. I think he'll remain the starter from here on out. Kid is a stud. He's four inches taller than Booty and can move around in the pocket. Booty is a fine QB but Sanchez has superstar potential.

Ahh, k, cool.

WMR
10-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Ooh, didn't know #12 USC was playing #5 Oregon this weekend... that will be a great game... there's Dixon's "signature game" if he can take it, kyred.

kyred14
10-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Ooh, didn't know #12 USC was playing #5 Oregon this weekend... that will be a great game... there's Dixon's "signature game" if he can take it, kyred.

IMO, it's down to Ryan, Tebow, Woodson, and Dixon. A RB on a team that lost to Appy St. has no business in the discussion, end of story.

Dixon won't win simply because he plays on a west coast team not named USC, sad, but true. Woodson won't win unless UK wins out and UF and BC lose. I think Tebow is by far and away the best player in the country, but his team has two loses.

No doubt things can change. But, If BC wins out, Ryan won it tonight. Crazy considering he played awful for 58 minutes.

15fan
10-26-2007, 09:22 AM
VT wins. Wake Forest in the only decent team BC has beaten, and Wake lost to a pitiful Nebraska team.

Wake - BC was a whale of a game to start the year. Wake QB Riley Skinner went down with an injury in the 2nd half and though backup QB Bret Hodges played well, it wasn't quite enough.

Hodges made his first start the following week when Wake hosted Nebraska. It was a solid game. (My seats this year are 15 rows off the field at the 20 yard line.) If Wake had Skinner @ QB, I think the Deacs win. Without Skinner in the game, the Wake coaches had to run a very vanilla playbook. W/o the threat of a passing game, Nebraska was able to stuff the line of scrimmage and sneak out with a win.

registerthis
10-26-2007, 09:45 AM
A RB on a team that lost to Appy St. has no business in the discussion, end of story.

...through no fault of his own. In fact, one could argue that if Michigan is as *bad* as you're portraying them to be, that Hart has put up such exceptional numbers on such a supposedly crappy team speaks even more to his skills.

I'm not saying Hart's the heisman leader at this point, but he should at least be under consideration. Disqualifying him for his team's pitiful performance in the first game of the year hardly seems reasonable.

GAC
10-26-2007, 10:04 AM
...through no fault of his own. In fact, one could argue that if Michigan is as *bad* as you're portraying them to be, that Hart has put up such exceptional numbers on such a supposedly crappy team speaks even more to his skills.

I agree. He's scrappy on a crappy team. :lol:

Just kiddin' Michigan fans. ;)

That last game will be a humdinger regardless of the records. Count on it.

KronoRed
10-26-2007, 01:58 PM
I think Tebow is by far and away the best player in the country, but his team has two loses.

Tebow has no shot at it, sophomores don't win the Heisman

Danny Serafini
10-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Personal thoughts:

1. Can't say I'm surprised BC won, simply because VT is, year in and year out, one of the most overhyped teams in the country. They're a second tier program that's been given first tier status by the media. The last time they were real players was the Michael Vick era, yet they're constantly anointed as title contenders every year. They're a #15-25 program, not a top 10.

2. I despise the prevent defense. Unless it's the last play of the game I never want to see it. How many teams have to lose this way before coaches learn?

3. Matt Ryan did nothing last night to make me think he's anything but a fringe Heisman candidate. He was awful for 57 minutes, and then got to pick apart a soft prevent. Sorry, not that impressive. Fortunately for him the field is still a complete muddle, so he'll stay in the mix, but I can't see how he actually wins.

Roy Tucker
10-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Ryan does get the award for televised hurl of the year.

dabvu2498
10-26-2007, 03:22 PM

And best player-coach chest bump/takedown.

WMR
10-26-2007, 05:40 PM

You just know that'll be on his "Heisman Reel" showing what a "warrior" he is. :laugh: