PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time

SidneySlicker
10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
I've always been a traditionalist when it comes to baseball, but I think it's time to bring the DH to the NL. It's a better game to watch. I tried to convince myself for years that the NL was a "more strategic style of game" or "it was how the game was meant to be played", and I just don't believe that anymore. The AL is a much better game to watch. There would be pretty obvious benifits to the Reds by having the DH rule instituted in the National League. Think about letting Dunn DH and putting your pick of who to play left Hopper, Freel, Bruce. Would you really rather see Aaron Harang wave at pitches? Spare me on the pitchers can hit. 8 out of 10 pitchers have pretty much no chance at getting on base. It's so obvious this team would be so much better with the DH in place. Where do you guys stand on bringing the dh to the N.L. and do you thing it will ever happen and if so how long do you think it will take?

Edd Roush
10-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Are you kidding me? Additional offense doesn't make games any more interesting IMO. Seeing how a coach makes a move with a double switch or letting a pitcher hit in the 7th are much more interesting than seeing a one-dimensional player lumber up to the plate 4 times a game. Give me double switches and actual coaching strategy.

SidneySlicker
10-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Say what you want. I wanna see players do what they do best. I could care less what kind of strategic moves a manager makes in the middle of a game. I don't watch baseball for Tony Larussa, Lou Pinella (unless he throwin bases), Terry Francona, and so on and so forth. I watch to see the best hitters hit and the best pitchers pitch.

DannyB
10-25-2007, 10:48 PM
I have to disagree I find the AL games rather boring.

Will M
10-25-2007, 10:50 PM
No. I would be happy if the AL got rid of the DH. I certainly don't want the NL to start using it.

Natty Redlocks
10-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I don't agree with Tracey Jones very often, but I think he was the one who said he doesn't understand the desire to see pitchers hit. Very few of them are any good at it. He's right. Nothing's worse than having two or three guys on base with two outs in a close game in the second inning but Matt Freaking Belisle is up. And double-switching is just complicated enough to convince the dumbest managers that they're shrewd strategists. Maybe the reason the AL is so magnificently superior is because they put real lineups on the field.

Or not; whatever, the whole game is gonna come crashing down once people realize just how many of these guys have been juicing. I may take up a less stressful hobby like skydiving.

mroby85
10-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I like the NL better, more strategy, probably just biased though, because of what i've grown up watching.

Bip Roberts
10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Lets have Designated fielders.

*BaseClogger*
10-26-2007, 09:30 AM
The DH was a crazy idea when the AL constituted it back in the 60's and was only brought in because there was no offense in baseball. Now that the pitching is spread between 30 teams it is time to get rid of the DH in the AL, not bring it to the NL. Pinch hitting adds much more strategy to the game...

durl
10-26-2007, 10:34 AM
I think MLB should get rid of the DH. Make players play rather than having a guy walk up to the plate after sitting on his bottom for 20-30 minutes while everyone else is covering a position.

When it comes to the DH, you could use the same reasoning to say that teams should use a designated runner anytime they want without having to pull a player.

Jack Burton
10-26-2007, 10:39 AM
No way, AL game is boring compared to the NL. The NL plays it the way it is supposed to be played. Someone mentioned it earlier and I agree, they need to get rid of the DH in the AL. If you can't play D you hit the bricks, or go play tavern league softball.

scounts22
10-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm going to resepectfully disagree. I believe the NL represents the pure game of baseball. I love watching a pitcher who is a "complete" player, both one that pitches well and can hit a little too.

Not to hijack the thread, but why is it that pitchers don't hit well? It's not like they haven't done it since they started playing the game. I know they obviously spend more time developing their pitching and probably spend less time in the cage hitting, but how is that any different from other position players who work on their defense? Why is it acceptable for pitchers to be sub-par hitters?

texasdave
10-26-2007, 11:05 AM
And designated runners while we are at it.

Orenda
10-26-2007, 11:27 AM
The way the organization has budgeted payroll the last decade, I believe the DH would be another hinderence in competing against more free spending ballclubs. I believe you would see the Cubs, Cardinals, and Astros be willing to spend more $ in able to gain a competitive advantage. Their would probably be more Jim Thome type players being sought after by those organizations, while the reds would continue to go bargain basement shopping at the modern day Reggie Sanders/ Jeff Conine store. So don't worry that Aaron Harang steps in the bucket every time he swings the bat, just be thankful that the Stros are leading off the top half with Everret, Ausmus, and Wandy Rodriguez. On the other hand, having a DH would up the prospect stock of players who might be lacking in some areas or who are blocked. Think Valaika and Dorn types.

HUHUH
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
The DH was a crazy idea when the AL constituted it back in the 60's and was only brought in because there was no offense in baseball. Now that the pitching is spread between 30 teams it is time to get rid of the DH in the AL, not bring it to the NL. Pinch hitting adds much more strategy to the game...

DH in the 60's?

goreds2
10-26-2007, 12:27 PM
DH in the 60's?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter

"A designated hitter (often shortened to DH) is an official position adopted by Major League Baseball's American League in 1973 that allowed teams to boost sagging offensive performances by designating a player to bat in place of the pitcher. Since then, most amateur and minor leagues have adopted the same or a similar rule, but the National and Central Leagues have not. During interleague play, the rules of the home team's league apply to both teams.

Also, I would suggest during inter-league play that the DH be used in the NL ballparks and it NOT be used in the AL ballparks. I think this would generate more fan interest.

GoReds33
10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
I would love to have the DH in the NL. I think that the DH is the reason for the AL's superiority. They make more money, and have way better attendence numbers. If we had that one guy that just hit, and that we didn't have to worry about their defense, we would have better attendence numbers too. I can't stand seeing a pitcher hit. What's the use of a pitcher batting, to humiliate them? All they do is whiff at the pitches. I can't stand when there are runners on, and two outs, and here comes Aaron Harang. I start my walk to the vendors. There's no way he gets a hit. I would much rather there be somebody with a clue at the plate.

ChatterRed
10-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Nothing like seeing Bronson Arroyo go 3-3 which has done on occasion. Funny to see the opposing pitcher grimace when his counterpart is eating him alive.

10-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by *BaseClogger*
"The DH was a crazy idea when the AL constituted it back in the 60's and was only brought in because there was no offense in baseball. Now that the pitching is spread between 30 teams it is time to get rid of the DH in the AL, not bring it to the NL. Pinch hitting adds much more strategy to the game..."

"DH in the 60's?"

"A designated hitter (often shortened to DH) is an official position adopted by Major League Baseball's American League in 1973 that allowed teams to boost sagging offensive performances by designating a player to bat in place of the pitcher. "

Actually, Connie Mack thought of it in the 30's, but it was rejected for forty years because it was and still is a very bad idea. It is random, nothing more than a marketing tool to attract casual fans. Why not be like football and have everyone only play one way? Picking only one position to do this makes no sense, and results in a worse product.

IMHO, the DH makes the AL one step away from being the Arena League of Baseball. I watch baseball because it is the thinking sport. Of all major sports, it requires the most intelligence to play. The DH dumbs it down and makes it boring to watch. If you can't appreciate a pitchers duel over a 14-12 game, then watch the NBA. What seperates baseball from the other sports is the stragegy, the playing along with the manager and the players as you watch the game. Heck, that is what makes the game threads so fun.

gedred69
10-27-2007, 07:40 PM
A lot of interesting comments. Since I was very young baseball was always 9 guys/team on the field. And usually the best pitcher on the team, was way ahead of the rest of us in every aspect of the game, including hitting. Since the DH, it has become less and less of a skill pitchers work on in the minors, as so many Minor leagues DH now. Too bad. Strategy is minimal in a DH game, and extremely predictable. What about Designated fielders? Let Ross catch, and Valentin bat? Or maybe, take a guy out because he's weak against LH pitching, and be able to put him back in 2 innings later when an RH is on the mound? DH is a perversion of the game allowing 1 dimensional players a spot, and allowing aging players to keep it going and inflate their career stats. If this is why the AL is supposedly superior, then that is another reason it should be gone. Isn't that like giving somebody a headstart in a race?

Chi-Town Red
10-27-2007, 09:25 PM
never happen

Vada Pinson Fan
10-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I hope I never see the DH brought to the National League. There is no strategy as far as managing in the American League. National League baseball is the way baseball was meant to be played.

Daisuke Matsuzaka just knocked in two runs with a hit (WS game 3). How cool is that?!!!
Each player should play offense and defense in baseball. Watching a pitcher lay down a well placed bunt or getting a hit or homerun is one of fun things I like to see happen.

putrnrd
10-28-2007, 08:33 AM
i don't like the dh, but i'll disagree with the whole "strategy" argument against the dh. it's easy to know when to do a double switch, much more difficult to make the decision to pull a starting pitcher without him coming up to bat.

ThirdBaseCoach
10-28-2007, 08:57 AM
Bud must decide to go big or go home. He has to add the DH to the NL or eliminate it from the AL. I prefer baseball without it.

GoReds33
10-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Bud must decide to go big or go home. He has to add the DH to the NL or eliminate it from the AL. I prefer baseball without it.Exactly. Either give it to everybody, or eliminate the advantage from the AL. With the extra money they generate from the DH, they pick up better players.

bounty37h
10-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Nah, they can have it, I like to watch baseball, real baseball, not some aged out superstar holding on (glorified softball player) who can only hit and run long enough to reach base.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2007, 11:12 AM
My bad, DH wasn't adopted until the 70's but it was because of the lack of offense from the 1960's...

Another point to ponder... Why do National League farm affiliates use the DH? Maybe that is why these pitchers arn't prepared to hit at the big league level...

Red in Atl
10-29-2007, 11:37 AM
DH in the NL, hahahahahahahaha! Please....I can't even watch the AL. Borrrring. You want the DH, go root for an AL team and leave my team alone.

Natty Redlocks
10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
I guess the bottom line is that the only ones who really don't like the DH are "more-purister-than-thou" NL fans who are sick of being the inferior league. We look like whiny sore losers and nothing is going to change anyway, but hey this was fun. I'll be in my room writing my next hit song "Alone In My Principles".

10-29-2007, 01:30 PM
I guess the bottom line is that the only ones who really don't like the DH are "more-purister-than-thou" NL fans who are sick of being the inferior league. We look like whiny sore losers and nothing is going to change anyway, but hey this was fun. I'll be in my room writing my next hit song "Alone In My Principles".

Nobody has shown any proof that the AL is superior to the NL because of the DH. In the 70's and all the way up to the 90's, the NL was better than the AL. The AL had the DH then, so why weren't they superiour then.

Secondly, I beleive that if you remove the Yankees and Red Sox, who spend more more money than some divisions, that the NL and AL are very close in talent. Or just move one of those teams to the NL and the two leagues would be pretty level.

The AL just has more teams in bigger markets. and in NY, the Yankees will always have a bigger market than the Mets.

The DH has nothing to do with the AL's dominance.

BoldOD
10-29-2007, 02:07 PM
I respectfully disagree. That ain't baseball.