PDA

View Full Version : Reds pursuing Wood/Prior???

kaldaniels
10-26-2007, 11:09 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/621833,CST-SPT-dusty26.article

I didn't see this being discussed, but wouldn't be suprised if I missed it.

Degenerate39
10-26-2007, 11:14 AM
I'd love to see Kerry Wood in the Reds bullpen

Caveman Techie
10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
For the right amount of money I wouldn't mind seeing either one in a Reds uniform come Spring Training. I saw Wood pitch the last game of the season and he didn't look bad. Prior is still young enough and talented enought to take a flyer on and give him a year of rehab in the minors.

scounts22
10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
:pray: The thought of Wood and Burton in the bullpen makes me giddy already.

CarolinaRedleg
10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Incentive-laden deals anyone?

durl
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
You guys may have to convince me that taking a chance on Wood would be a good thing. His ERA did take a turn for the better last year (3.33) so that's a little cause for hope and his K/BB ratio is pretty good. Still, I would consider it to be a gamble given his history.

Degenerate39
10-26-2007, 11:28 AM
So I guess these guys aren't blaming Dusty for their injuries.

*BaseClogger*
10-26-2007, 11:35 AM
its not a risk if its an incentive laiden contract

Jack Burton
10-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I'd give both a look, if it's for a good price. Prior may be done though.

Will M
10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
for the right price ( incentive laden deals ) I would take both.

The Reds do have money to spend. Even if we keep Jr ( with Bruce in AAA ) the contracts of Lohse & Milton are off the books.

Bip Roberts
10-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Id take Wood for sure. Its not my money :laugh:

Doro
10-26-2007, 01:11 PM
please no one bring up Dusty ruining Wood and Prior's arms again. Wood has arm surgery before Dusty was on the scene in Chicago and Prior messed up his shoulder running into Marcus Giles.

Orenda
10-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Someone already posted some of Prior's pitch counts under Dusty and they weren't pretty. I don't know enough about Dusty to judge him on that alone, but I would think he has become more aware of the effects of over work to a pitchers arm. I believe because of the fact he often gets lumped into the Wood and Prior discussion, he will learn from that experience and become a better manager overall.

mroby85
10-26-2007, 01:40 PM
sounds awesome, i could live with it!

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Someone already posted some of Prior's pitch counts under Dusty and they weren't pretty. I don't know enough about Dusty to judge him on that alone, but I would think he has become more aware of the effects of over work to a pitchers arm. I believe because of the fact he often gets lumped into the Wood and Prior discussion, he will learn from that experience and become a better manager overall.
I glanced back and looked at some of the pitch counts while Dusty was there and they were right in line with many of the upper tier starting pitchers in the league. If he gives Harrang the same pitch counts as he did Prior back then it would actually be a lighter work load than he has had the last couple of years. Those guys were already messed up due to mechanics, poor diognostics by the med staff in CHI, and not to mention I believe alot of Prior's problems came from freak accidents not throwing too many pitches. Zambrano threw more pitches than either one of those guys in the years in question, and so did G. Mad and both of those guys made it out of the Dusty tent alive. I say give the guy a break, he's our coach now and if you want a winning situation in Cinci lets embrace what he is capable of, WINNING!

AmarilloRed
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
It seems they will likely both be free agents, and Dusty has talked to both of them. I think incentive-laden deals are the way to go, and I hope it works out.

jmac
10-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I glanced back and looked at some of the pitch counts while Dusty was there and they were right in line with many of the upper tier starting pitchers in the league. If he gives Harrang the same pitch counts as he did Prior back then it would actually be a lighter work load than he has had the last couple of years. Those guys were already messed up due to mechanics, poor diognostics by the med staff in CHI, and not to mention I believe alot of Prior's problems came from freak accidents not throwing too many pitches. Zambrano threw more pitches than either one of those guys in the years in question, and so did G. Mad and both of those guys made it out of the Dusty tent alive. I say give the guy a break, he's our coach now and if you want a winning situation in Cinci lets embrace what he is capable of, WINNING!

:clap:

jmac
10-26-2007, 02:29 PM
:pray: The thought of Wood and Burton in the bullpen makes me giddy already.

Double Ditto !!

Jay Bruce
10-26-2007, 02:31 PM

I could buy that Wood already had an injury history and wasn't Bakers fault entirely, but Prior is a different story. You mention that Prior was in line with other top tier starters. However, Prior was only 22 at the time, and his body was still growing and developing. What Baker did to Prior would be akin to giving the workloads of Harang or Arroyo to Bailey next year. For a young pitcher, Prior had a very stressful workload, much more stressful than what Harang has been getting, based on age, size and body development. If the Reds are going to win, it would be extremely helpful for Bailey to develop like we hope he does, but the Reds need to be careful with his pitch counts for a couple more years to reduce the risk on his arm.

as_v_1
10-26-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm buying wood in a red's uniform and coming out of the pen next year. I don't want any part of Prior he looks done.

Iím just an employee. The goal now is to go down and help that team win and try to make the Triple-A All-Star team. Maybe I can get invited to the Futures Game or something. Iím still 26.

Not only is his shoulder destroyed, but he has an attitude like that.

GoReds33
10-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Prior is done. I have no hope that he could ever be a productive pitcher again. I do however think that Wood could contribute to this team, and he is defenitly worth a shot. I really hope that we can land Wood.

Vada Pinson Fan
10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
The World Series isn't over yet so wouldn't this be tampering by Dusty; whom allegedly called Prior? It's my understanding that those two players contracts belong to the Cubs until the Series is over. Am I wrong? Please tell me I am. We don't need Dusty Baker banned for x amount of games and/or fined. Talking to those two guys about coming to Cincy, if that was part of their conversation, seems wrong in my opinion.

captainmorgan07
10-26-2007, 06:13 PM
i'll take um both give wood a better deal than prior though and bring prior along slowly. Prior could be a huge steal if he turns it around and gets past all these injuries. If he doesn't pitch this year it's not great loss. It just might mean that he's fully healthy for the next season.

Natty Redlocks
10-26-2007, 07:17 PM
I could buy that Wood already had an injury history and wasn't Bakers fault entirely, but Prior is a different story. You mention that Prior was in line with other top tier starters. However, Prior was only 22 at the time, and his body was still growing and developing. What Baker did to Prior would be akin to giving the workloads of Harang or Arroyo to Bailey next year. For a young pitcher, Prior had a very stressful workload, much more stressful than what Harang has been getting, based on age, size and body development. If the Reds are going to win, it would be extremely helpful for Bailey to develop like we hope he does, but the Reds need to be careful with his pitch counts for a couple more years to reduce the risk on his arm.

The Homer Bailey comparison is a good one. What Baker did to Prior in 03 is absolutely indefensible in this day and age. I'd be beyond shocked if Prior or his family want him anywhere Dusty Baker ever again, let alone at this ballpark. If the Cubs don't keep him, look for him to go back home to San Diego.

Wood could be a different matter; he'd probably like to stay in Chicago but would likely want a bigger role than they may be willing to offer. But it's not like the Reds would be the only team looking at him. Again, Dusty Baker probably hurts the cause pitcher-wise rather than helps it. I keep hoping I'll wake up and realize it was all a nightmare, and Jerry Narron is still the manager.

WMR
10-26-2007, 07:20 PM

This is exactly right.

Allowing Prior to throw 130+ pitches at his age was criminal.

Imagine if he does that with Homer next year???? How livid would you be?

redsfanmia
10-26-2007, 07:42 PM
This is exactly right.

Dusty is managing the big club not the AAA team.

Chi-Town Red
10-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Wood didn't impress me that much the little bit i watched him this year. Although he looked very fit, lost like 20 LBS.

kaldaniels
10-26-2007, 08:27 PM
You know, upon a second read...the whole Prior/Wood to the Reds at this juncture is 100 percent speculation by the writer. He may have specifically asked Dusty have you talked to those guys, Dusty says yes, and poof you have a story. Granted...it could certainly happen...but this story is how should I put it...Mortensonesque???

mole44
10-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Bring them both in on incentive laden deals to work with Mazzone, and I'd deal with it.

ChatterRed
10-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Did that article say that Prior has to be tendered a contract around $2.8 million by any club or just the Cubbies? I guess I need to go back and re-read it.

mroby85
10-27-2007, 11:43 AM
i believe it was any club, due to the fact a players salary can't drop by more than 20% or something.

10-27-2007, 04:05 PM
I believe it is just the Cubs that have to offer him that much. If they don't, then they basically non-tender him, which makes him a free agent, and he can sign for as much or as little as the market dictates.

10-27-2007, 04:15 PM
This is exactly right.

If we won the World Series, I wouldn't care what happens to Bailey. It's not like he's the last pitcher Reds will ever develop. In this day, the future is now, all the time. It is so difficult to keep a team together, you have to play for it all every year and damn the future.
Odds are that Bailey, if he turns out to be as great as expectations, will either get injured on his own, regardless of workload, or leave via free agency in a few years.
Look at all the great pitching prospects in the past, I'd say less than 10% of them have long, productive careers with the same team.
I am not saying we should work Bailey to death, but if the Reds bullpen next year is as weak as the Cubs in 2003, and the best shot at the playoffs involved over working Bailey, I'd do it in a heart beat.

GoReds33
10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
If we won the World Series, I wouldn't care what happens to Bailey. It's not like he's the last pitcher Reds will ever develop. In this day, the future is now, all the time. It is so difficult to keep a team together, you have to play for it all every year and damn the future.
Odds are that Bailey, if he turns out to be as great as expectations, will either get injured on his own, regardless of workload, or leave via free agency in a few years.
Look at all the great pitching prospects in the past, I'd say less than 10% of them have long, productive careers with the same team.
I am not saying we should work Bailey to death, but if the Reds bullpen next year is as weak as the Cubs in 2003, and the best shot at the playoffs involved over working Bailey, I'd do it in a heart beat.You seem like the perfect GM for the Yankees. That's exactly what got them in trouble. They mortgaged the future for players that would have an immediate impact. I would never go to a Reds game again if they do to Bailey what Baker did to Prior. A World Series is valuable, but pitching him another 40 pitches a game isn't going to get us there.

10-28-2007, 02:13 AM
You seem like the perfect GM for the Yankees. That's exactly what got them in trouble. They mortgaged the future for players that would have an immediate impact. I would never go to a Reds game again if they do to Bailey what Baker did to Prior. A World Series is valuable, but pitching him another 40 pitches a game isn't going to get us there.

That is apples and oranges. the Yanks signed big name, aging free agents instead of using players they developed. They have no history of overusing their young players. That was not their problem these last five years.

Also, I said "IF" the Reds needed to overwork Bailey in order
to get into the Playoffs, I'd gladly accept that. Never said that it definitely would get us into the Playoffs.

The goal is to get into the Playoffs and win the World Series, not to develop talent for it's own sake. Most organizations develop a guy like Bailey every two or three years. Very few of them become longtime aces for that team.

People act like he is the last pitcher the Reds will ever develop. Look at the Cubs, they "ruined" Woods and Prior, and still made the Playoffs two years later. The Reds "ruined" Jim Maloney in the early 70's and look what happened after that.

My main poin is that you never know when you will get another chance to make the Playoffs these days, so I say go for it when you do have the chance.

Jr's Boy
10-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Well Dusty road Livan's arm in San Fran,and now Hernandez forte is being an inning's eater.

Caveman Techie
10-29-2007, 09:11 AM
There are guys that when they throw they make it look effortlessly it's whats called "easy gas" or "sneaky fast". Harang is one of these guys, you can put him out there and he can throw 120+ pitches every outing and it doesn't faze him.

Wood and Prior are not easy gas throwers. Every pitch they threw looked like it took everything they had. These kinds of pitchers can't be left out there for 130+ pitches per start, for 3 starts in a row, at the end of a season, to a 22 year old pitcher. Doing that is criminal. Now having said that I really do hope that Dusty has learned from this.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
This is exactly right.

Imagine if he does that with Homer next year???? How livid would you be? Maybe it was criminal, but what do you do in that situation if you are Dusty. That was what cards he had to play with. The GM should have kept him in AAA longer if he wasn't ready to handle the workload that was needed by the Cubs. I am not trying to say that he handled him properly but I would be willing to bet that as far as Dusty was told Prior was ready to handle that kind of workload. Dusty wasn't there for Prior's developement, so why wouldn't the Cubs front office stepped in if they were not on board with his pitch counts. Dusty was let go and I don't remember anything comming from the Cubs about mishandeling, it was about not winning.

Natty Redlocks
10-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Maybe it was criminal, but what do you do in that situation if you are Dusty. That was what cards he had to play with. The GM should have kept him in AAA longer if he wasn't ready to handle the workload that was needed by the Cubs. I am not trying to say that he handled him properly but I would be willing to bet that as far as Dusty was told Prior was ready to handle that kind of workload. Dusty wasn't there for Prior's developement, so why wouldn't the Cubs front office stepped in if they were not on board with his pitch counts. Dusty was let go and I don't remember anything comming from the Cubs about mishandeling, it was about not winning.

So what you're saying is that if what Baker did was okay with an organization as well-run as the Chicago Cubs, it must be no big deal? Yes, I'm giggling a little bit.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
10-29-2007, 02:39 PM
So what you're saying is that if what Baker did was okay with an organization as well-run as the Chicago Cubs, it must be no big deal? Yes, I'm giggling a little bit. No what I am saying is that if the people who pay your salary and have the power to make you unemployed want you to do something a certain way then you do it. Heres your pitching staff we just want to win and if we don't it's your fault.

WMR
10-29-2007, 06:01 PM
No what I am saying is that if the people who pay your salary and have the power to make you unemployed want you to do something a certain way then you do it. Heres your pitching staff we just want to win and if we don't it's your fault.

All that tells me is that perhaps the GM at the time was as big of a moron as Dusty.

Hopefully Krivsky will lay down the law, b/c I sure as hell don't trusty the Dusty to protect any of our pitcher's arms.

Natty Redlocks
10-29-2007, 08:16 PM
No what I am saying is that if the people who pay your salary and have the power to make you unemployed want you to do something a certain way then you do it. Heres your pitching staff we just want to win and if we don't it's your fault.

It was Baker's first year with the Cubs. He was coming off a season where he lost the World Series and still got fired. They hired him as their big-name manager, somewhat similar to the way the Reds just did, and handed him possibly the best young rotation in baseball. They both wanted to win now, for all kinds of reasons. But the reality is that there are managers and organizations who protect their young pitchers, and there are those who don't. Why the Reds would hire a win-now-with-veterans guy when they should be developing--and protecting-- their young talent like the Rockies and D-Backs is mind-boggling. Fortunately, I don't know everything, so hopefully I'm wrong and they know what they're doing. Not seeing much evidence of it in this particular move though.

AmarilloRed
10-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Baker also downplayed a report out of Chicago last week that he was recruiting Cubs pitchers Mark Prior and Kerry Wood to join the Reds. Wood became a free agent Monday and Prior is expected to become one if he isn't offered arbitration by Chicago. Baker managed both right-handed pitchers.

"I talked to Mark, but we weren't talking about baseball," Baker said. "We were talking about the state of his house and his family because he's in San Diego [near the wildfires]. I didn't talk to Kerry directly. He e-mailed and said congratulations. I responded back to say, 'Thank you, and see you down the line.' That was basically it."

We may still see the Reds go after Prior and Wood, but Dusty seems to be suggesting they simply offered congragulations to him after he was hired by the Reds.

Brutus
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM
I believe it is just the Cubs that have to offer him that much. If they don't, then they basically non-tender him, which makes him a free agent, and he can sign for as much or as little as the market dictates.

That's actually not accurate. I believe the labor agreement mandates that NO player can take more than a 20 percent pay cut even as a free agent. I'll have to look that up to be certain, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

terminator
10-31-2007, 01:27 PM
That's actually not accurate. I believe the labor agreement mandates that NO player can take more than a 20 percent pay cut even as a free agent. I'll have to look that up to be certain, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.
Doesn't make sense -- I can think of numerous examples of players who get > 20% pay cuts as free agents . . . Gagne jumps to mind (40% cut last year) . . . Jiminez, Reese, Larkin, Hatteberg . . .

Brutus
10-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Doesn't make sense -- I can think of numerous examples of players who get > 20% pay cuts as free agents . . . Gagne jumps to mind (40% cut last year) . . . Jiminez, Reese, Larkin, Hatteberg . . .

I certainly could be mistaken. It's possible that you just cannot re-sign with your existing team for less than 20 percent, but for some reason I was remembering that you couldn't sign with anyone for that much less.

Jay Bruce
10-31-2007, 02:28 PM
I certainly could be mistaken. It's possible that you just cannot re-sign with your existing team for less than 20 percent, but for some reason I was remembering that you couldn't sign with anyone for that much less.

What you are thinking of is that a team cannot offer a player eligible for arbitration a paycut higher that 20%. For free agents, they pretty much have to take whatever a team is willing to offer them, or else they can retire.

Redsnake
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
form: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
Cubs May Trade Mark Prior
Three articles about the Cubs' Mark Prior situation came out today - Buster Olney, Paul Sullivan, and Gordon Wittenmyer. The Cubs have until December 12th to make a decision one way or another - that date is the last day for teams to offer 2008 contracts to unsigned players.

The Cubs may try to keep Prior and see if they can salvage anything. He hasn't taken a big league mound since August 10, 2006, when he got knocked around by the Brewers. What the Cubs don't want is to bring Prior back for 2008, see him rebuild value, and then have him jump ship after the season. Instead they want an option for 2009 tacked on. The least the Cubs can sign him for '08 is $2.86MM. Prior won't be eligible for free agency until after the 2009 season since he accrued no MLB service time this year. So I'm not sure why the Cubs would be terribly concerned with '09 since they would control him for that year anyway. UPDATE: From what I'm hearing he is a free agent after '08 after all.

As Buster Olney notes, the Cubs also have the option of trading Prior right now. Then his new team can deal with the contract situation. There's definitely a little bit of low-cost upside there, and the Padres are said to be interested.

The third option is to non-tender Prior, which seems dumb to me. It'd be better to keep him around for one more year at $3MM.

Does anyone still think he can become a quality starter? He does have Dusty Baker ties, low cost. Classic low risk/high rewards small market team type move. Just an idea.

Vada Pinson Fan
11-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I don't think the Cubs trade Prior to a team within the division unless-
1.) His days of effective pitching are over;
or
2.) The best offer comes from the NL Central.

11-27-2007, 06:33 PM
I think he is a perfect fit for the Reds. Won't cost much. less than $3M for '08, and could have a high return. It all depends on what the Cubs want for him. Wouldn't give up anyone on the 40 man roster or on the top 10 prospect list.

mroby85
11-27-2007, 06:37 PM
i wouldn't want prior, i wouldve been much more likely to take a risk on wood.
prior has lost his velocity, and has been getting lit up.

Bigredfan#1
11-27-2007, 11:14 PM
i wouldn't want prior, i wouldve been much more likely to take a risk on wood.
prior has lost his velocity, and has been getting lit up.

True but Prior was losing velocity because of the injury, he may get it back and he knows how to pitch. If he could return to his former self he would be awesome to have, he could have been the best pitcher in baseball without the injury! I would take the risk!

jmac
11-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I wouldnt mind taking a chance on him at low cost as long as he isn't counted on soley as the "other" starter we need.

*BaseClogger*
11-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I wouldnt mind taking a chance on him at low cost as long as he isn't counted on soley as the "other" starter we need.

Yeah, can't hurt to throw a "BJ Szymanski" at them:D

Hey Meat
11-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, can't hurt to throw a "BJ Szymanski" at them:D

No way would I take a Prior in a trade unless it was for Hatteberg. He is always hurt.

MaineRed
11-28-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd rather just call just call up Ty Howington.

Thoughts?

TN Red Fan
12-03-2007, 12:24 PM
You have to understand Pryor's medical situation.

He was constantly hurt in Chicago because he had structural damage in his shoulder that nobody knew about. He recently had surgery to repair the problem.

That's the thing. Right now he's as healthy as he's ever been. The injury risk is minimal. The problem is you don't know what kind of pitcher he'll be after the surgery. It'll almost certainly cost him some velocity.

hippie07
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Griffey & Weathers for Marmol, Prior, Murton :)

Vada Pinson Fan
12-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Just read earlier this evening (MLB.com) that Mark Prior lives in San Diego and is a "neighbor" of Padres GM Kevin Towers. Towers, reportedly, has asked Chicago about a trade for Prior.

Sorry, Dusty. Wood and Prior won't be coming to Cincinnati. At least not as a Red.

AmarilloRed
12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
UPDATE, 12-4-07 at 12:20pm: Some new stuff from ESPN Radio 1000's Bruce Levine.

* The Cubs have talked to the Royals about Mark Teahen; the Royals like Matt Murton.
* Levine says there's nothing to the Hamilton rumors.

FROM 12-4-07 at 12:11pm:

Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times discusses the rumors around the Cubs.

* The Padres are the frontrunner to acquire Mark Prior, but Dusty Baker's Reds are also interested. The Reds idea first surfaced here. The Padres, though, have made many deals with the Cubs over the past few years as Jim Hendry and Kevin Towers work well together.

I am glad to hear we are not trading Hamilton for Prior. That is too high a price to pay for an oft-injured starter.

AmarilloRed
12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
The Cubs are currently seeking to trade Prior, because there is a non-tender deadline next Wednesday. We could see the Cubs non-tender him and have him become a free agent if a trade is not made before then. We might be able to make a better offer now because of this possibility.

hippie07
12-07-2007, 04:53 PM
What would the Cubs be asking for him? Would they trade w/in the division?
From the Cubs, I'd like: Prior, Marshall, Hill, Murton, Marmol.
What about: Griffey & Weathers for Prior, Murrton, Marmol
OR
Hamilton for Hill/Marshall and Prior ...

I dunno, but they're looking for a LH bat

12-07-2007, 05:52 PM
If the Reds will take on the salary, I think the Cubs would take one or two second tier prospects for Prior. Reports are that they will non-tender him if they can't trade him.

schmidty622
12-07-2007, 06:19 PM
Got no problem what so ever with adding Mark Prior, whether it be through trade or free agency. Hes the three we need.

jmac
12-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Got no problem what so ever with adding Mark Prior, whether it be through trade or free agency. Hes the three we need.
Prior isnt the same Prior as of right now and wont even be able to pitch till May if then.I wouldnt care to take a low risk chance on him but we need a #3 besides him.

Natty Redlocks
12-08-2007, 12:06 AM

Yeah, three starts sounds about right.

Bigredfan#1
12-10-2007, 11:55 PM
The Chicago Tribune says Mark Prior is not expected to agree to the Cubs' proposal of a one-year deal with an option for 2009.

It also indicates that the Cubs don't want to go to arbitration with him when he's unlikely to be back until June at the earliest. If that's the case, then it's good bet he'll be sent to the Padres or another team for a couple of lesser prospects before the Dec. 12 non-tender deadline.

Read this on USA Today fantasy baseball news. I would love to give him a chance to come back!!

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
The Chicago Tribune says Mark Prior is not expected to agree to the Cubs' proposal of a one-year deal with an option for 2009.

It also indicates that the Cubs don't want to go to arbitration with him when he's unlikely to be back until June at the earliest. If that's the case, then it's good bet he'll be sent to the Padres or another team for a couple of lesser prospects before the Dec. 12 non-tender deadline.

Read this on USA Today fantasy baseball news. I would love to give him a chance to come back!!

by then we should have some prospects ready... No Thanks

kaldaniels
12-11-2007, 12:05 AM

Does it say the Reds are in or is that speculation on your part?

Doro
12-11-2007, 12:14 AM
by then we should have some prospects ready... No Thanks

We have heard this for the last 15 years. Although Prior has had arm problems he has had success. Why not give him a try?

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
We have heard this for the last 15 years. Although Prior has had arm problems he has had success. Why not give him a try?

because he isn't free... we would have to trade the CUBS one of our prospects...

AmarilloRed
12-11-2007, 12:28 AM
It is entirely possible the Cubs won't be able to trade him and he will indeed be non-tendered on Dec.12.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 12:30 AM
It is entirely possible the Cubs won't be able to trade him and he will indeed be non-tendered on Dec.12.

in that case sure let's throw money at him! It's not my money! Of couse, this is based on the assumption there is no set budget...

Bigredfan#1
12-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Does it say the Reds are in or is that speculation on your part?

YEs the Reds are one of the teams mentioned as a possible team Prior goes to!

Bip Roberts
12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Nothing more than a 1 year deal. Dude is just not worth the risk and the money some other stupid team is willing to give him

ChatterRed
12-11-2007, 01:42 AM
If he is non-tendered and free to sign with any team, then I would take a 1 year risk on him for a reasonable amount. Plus there is the attraction of Dusty Baker - factor.

BEETTLEBUG
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
He probably still would go out west cause he lives out that way Baker or not.

AmarilloRed
12-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Hendry must offer Prior arbitration Wednesday or non-tender him and make him a free agent. Barring a last-minute trade or the unlikely occurrence of Prior signing a one-year deal with an option, the one-time ace and building block for the future seems headed for the non-tender list.

Mark Prior most likely will be a free agent at the end of the night.

crazybob60
12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Was there any word on Prior being non-tendered or not?

I for one, would actually love for the Reds to take a one-year chance on Prior and see what he could do for the Reds. He knows the NL Central and knows Great American Ballpark as well. I can't remember his record against opposing teams, and I could be as wrong as the day is long, but doesn't Prior have a fairly decent record here at Great American and hasn't he pitched just as well also. I mean not like Roy Oswalt decent, but at least above average. Now again, I could be mistaken here, but something is telling me I am not. Is there a place or website where we can look something like this up? I tried to google it but came up blank....

Please help us here!