PDA

View Full Version : dougdirt's top 40

M2
10-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Doug's more than halfway through his top 40 over on the redsminorleagues (http://www.redsminorleagues.com/) site. I figured since we always have a thread for the BA top 10, the least we could do is have one for Doug's top 40, because he's one of our own and he defintely pays more attention to the Reds system than BA.

He's up to #16 right now.

Adam Rosales and Justin Reed haven't been listed yet, so it's probably fair to issue a helium watch on those guys.

Zach Cozart also hasn't been listed and you've got to figure he's not making the top 15 ahead Chris Valaika (#16) and Justin Turner (#18).

It doesn't look like Travis Webb is going to make the list either, which isn't shocking, but Webb struck me as a guy who took a step forward in 2007.

Three guys I'd rank higher than Doug did are Chris Dickerson (#31), Carlos Fisher (#22) and Matt Maloney (#19). I figure Dickerson will spend the next few years as a backup OF or bouncing between the majors and AAA (think a slightly better version of Dewayne Wise). You'll be able to find him in your Basball Encyclopedia and he'll have more than a cup of coffee, which no doubt will be better than a number of guys ranked ahead of him.

Fisher's my pet sleeper in the system. He's a big boy. He throws a hard sinker which induces a high GB rate. He also fans hitters with regularity, keeps his BB rate low (he's got close to 3:1 K/BB rate in the minors) and he's stingy on allowing HRs. He struggled a bit in AA, but it was a two-level jump from where he pitched in 2006. He's a late bloomer (he turns 25 next year), but he strikes me as exactly what the Reds are theoretically seeking in a pitcher. He certainly should be able to make the majors as a middle reliever if he stalls as a starter.

Maloney's a LH flyball pitcher with more moxie than stuff, but he's getting results in the high minors. Doug's knock on the guy is that got BABIP lucky when he came to the Reds and he profiles as a guy who's troubles will mount as he faces better hitters. That said, he really clamped down on the BBs in 2007 and pushed his K/BB north of 3:1. He might be an excellent trading chip if nothing else.

dougdirt
10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
m2, I was going to post the entire thing over here once I put it all up on my website... but this works. I will say that Justin Reed didn't make the cut, as he came in at #41 on the list. Love the improvements he made this year, and could be someone who flies up the rankings next year, but I would like to see a little more power out of a guy playing a corner outfield. His strikeout rate in Billings also scared me a little bit. Still a raw player, but he has a TON of potential. May be one of the 5 best athletes in the entire system.

As for Rosales.... you will see him soon enough.

Cozart, I didn't understand the pick then, and I don't understand it now. His offensive struggles at Dayton did nothing to show me anything other than he is a glove with a bat that needs a LONG way to go to even be passable.

Dickerson, I like a bit, but I just don't know if he will ever be more than a 4th outfield type unless he finds the right situation. His age is certainly working against him, and its something I do factor in. Love the defense, love the walks and I love the athleticism. Strikes out an awful lot, and while I don't usually care much about strikeouts, when you are swinging and missing that much in AA and AAA, it worries me a little. So really I think we are on the same page with him, just not with some other guys I ranked ahead of him.

Fisher, again, I think we are on the same page with. Love the guy. Not really sure he is a late bloomer, as he didn't start pitching until he was 21 and a junior in college.

Maloney, well you covered that one for me. I don't think he is a bad prospect by any stretch, I just am not as high on him as some others are. I did like the improvement in the walk rate from last year.

M2
10-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I will say that Justin Reed didn't make the cut, as he came in at #41 on the list. Love the improvements he made this year, and could be someone who flies up the rankings next year, but I would like to see a little more power out of a guy playing a corner outfield. His strikeout rate in Billings also scared me a little bit. Still a raw player, but he has a TON of potential. May be one of the 5 best athletes in the entire system.

I'm a sucker for guys like that. Their athleticism magnifies everything they do right.

Interesting list so far, I appreciate the work you've put into it.

dougdirt
10-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Yeah... like I said over on my site, if I were to redo the list right this second I could easily have put the guys at 41 and 42 (Reed and Jordan Smith) at 30 and 31 and been perfectly fine with it.

D-Man
10-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Cozart, I didn't understand the pick then, and I don't understand it now. His offensive struggles at Dayton did nothing to show me anything other than he is a glove with a bat that needs a LONG way to go to even be passable.

I'd be curious where you rank him then. Top 50? 80? 100?? There are lots of interesting guys in the minors who are far off.

I must be the only one left on the planet who is still intrigued by Cozart, even though chances are good that he will flame out or head down the utility player route. . .

At the risk of quoting myself (poor form, I know), here is what I said in June:

I think *somebody* in the Reds scouting department must believe this kid can hit. And frankly, Cozart has shown some aptitude for hitting. He hit pretty well in 2006 and was a preseason 1st Team All American coming into 2007. He fell apart at the beginning of 2007 and only hit .250 to begin the year. However, he certainly improved as the weather warmed and hit .345 in the second half.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...706010353/1287

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...10352/0/SPORTS

Below are Cozart's college numbers.

2005: .281/.341/.475
2006: .338/.370/.515
2007: .304/.382/.428

http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArt...48&SPSID=13065

If he can hit--and he has shown he can hit against the rather tough SEC competition--then the Reds have an Adam Everett glove and a Luis Castillo offensive game, sans the steals. That would help quite a bit, IMO.

On the other hand, he could be a Rey Olmedo-like flameout in AA. I suppose that seems likely at this point.

One final thought. . . This guy was a hot commodity coming into the year, and his stock slipped. Same thing happened to Xavier Nady in his junior year in college, and he turned into a decent ballplayer. So the Reds might be buying low here. Here is what Bryan Smith at Baseball Analysts said about Cozart in 2006:

"Cozart is the best shortstop in the group, a well-skilled player defensively that won't have to think about changing positions. At the plate there are some questions, and they start with Cozart's inability to draw a walk. [editorial note: his BB rate went up since this article was written.] However, his contact rates are the best in the group, and he hit for more power than Horton did on the year. Add enough quickness to steal a base, and he seems a top 15 pick."

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives...ng_through.php

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1377926#post1377926

M2
10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Luis Castillo sans the steals? Ewww.

GoReds33
10-26-2007, 04:18 PM
The only person I would have liked to see higher would have been Hildenbrandt. Other than that I am pretty much in agreement with all the prospects so far.

camisadelgolf
10-26-2007, 04:21 PM
I like Cozart a lot, and I believe whole-heartedly that he will hit enough to play MLB. I'd probably rank him in the 30-40 range of top Reds prospects right now, but he hasn't done enough to be worthy of much more than that. As much as I like him, I don't think he was worth a second round pick, though.

OnBaseMachine
10-26-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree with M2 on Carlos Fisher. I really, really like that guy. Great size, solid stuff and a fresh arm due to him not pitching until late in his college career. This is a guy who I think profiles as an average to above average innings eater in the middle of the rotation. I expect to see him up sometime late next season.

dougdirt
10-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I'd be curious where you rank him then. Top 50? 80? 100?? There are lots of interesting guys in the minors who are far off.
Based simply off of the fact that someone liked him a lot more than I did, I had him at #45. Maybe the stuff I heard from some scouts just saw him at bad times, but there were some serious questions as to whether he would ever hit at a reasonable level.

I must be the only one left on the planet who is still intrigued by Cozart, even though chances are good that he will flame out or head down the utility player route. . .

At the risk of quoting myself (poor form, I know), here is what I said in June:

I think *somebody* in the Reds scouting department must believe this kid can hit. And frankly, Cozart has shown some aptitude for hitting. He hit pretty well in 2006 and was a preseason 1st Team All American coming into 2007. He fell apart at the beginning of 2007 and only hit .250 to begin the year. However, he certainly improved as the weather warmed and hit .345 in the second half.
He did hit well in college, but I don't put much stock into college hitting numbers due to aluminum.

If he can hit--and he has shown he can hit against the rather tough SEC competition--then the Reds have an Adam Everett glove and a Luis Castillo offensive game, sans the steals. That would help quite a bit, IMO.

I know he is supposed to have a slick glove, but Adam Everett type gloves don't come around very often. Without seeing him play in person yet, I will not go as far as saying I don't buy it.... but if he is indeed that good with the leather, he still only gets into the 30's. However being that 'if he can hit' turns him into a guy who has topped .750 in OPS 3 times out of 12 season... its not exactly praise.

One final thought. . . This guy was a hot commodity coming into the year, and his stock slipped. Same thing happened to Xavier Nady in his junior year in college, and he turned into a decent ballplayer. So the Reds might be buying low here. Here is what Bryan Smith at Baseball Analysts said about Cozart in 2006:

"Cozart is the best shortstop in the group, a well-skilled player defensively that won't have to think about changing positions. At the plate there are some questions, and they start with Cozart's inability to draw a walk. [editorial note: his BB rate went up since this article was written.] However, his contact rates are the best in the group, and he hit for more power than Horton did on the year. Add enough quickness to steal a base, and he seems a top 15 pick."
Maybe I am underrating him a lot, and that very well could be... but his performance matched the scouting reports I got on him to a T.... which has me soured on him quite a bit. I really hope I am wrong on him though, becuase the better he is, the better it is for the Reds. I just haven't seen anything yet that would get me thinking in the other direction.

dougdirt
10-26-2007, 07:22 PM
I agree with M2 on Carlos Fisher. I really, really like that guy. Great size, solid stuff and a fresh arm due to him not pitching until late in his college career. This is a guy who I think profiles as an average to above average innings eater in the middle of the rotation. I expect to see him up sometime late next season.

I think we are all in agreement on Fisher. He gets overlooked often because of his age, but as has been noted, he started late. Stuff wise, build wise, he has the potential to be quite good.

Kc61
10-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Gratified to see that Roenicke (apparently) made Doug's top ten. Based on some earlier discussion this season, didn't think that would happen.

Glad to see it.

Excellent list by the way, looking forward to the top ten even though I can guess the remaining names (although not the order).

Betterread
10-26-2007, 11:43 PM
Hmm, Francisco at 12, Valaika at 16, Maloney at 19, Rafael Gonzalez at 37. I would rank the first three in my top 10. Francisco is a beast - and Valaika has hit throughout his career - he's a poor man's Hardy.

dougdirt
10-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Hmm, Francisco at 12, Valaika at 16, Maloney at 19, Rafael Gonzalez at 37. I would rank the first three in my top 10. Francisco is a beast - and Valaika has hit throughout his career - he's a poor man's Hardy.

What is your top 10?

mth123
10-27-2007, 05:27 AM
I should probably wait for the rest of the list (Good Work Doug). But assuming the top 10 includes the big 4, Stubbs, Mesoraco, Frazier, Wood, Roenicke and Soto in some order, that would mean that Jose Castro, Jose Rojas, Phil Valiquette, Ben Jukich and Alex Smit didn't make the cut. I'd probably rank those guys ahead of Janish, Lutz, and Jones anyway. Castro in particular should be in the top 10 or 15 IMO. He is a guy with the defensive chops to play SS in the majors, showed a decent bat in the pitching dominated FSL (.318/.342/.383) and showed some promise as a 20 year old in AA. He at least looks like a defensive minded IF who isn't completely an automatic out. At age 20 that is a prospect IMO.

I think Fisher, Maloney, Rosales, Griffin, McBeth and Watson should be higher. Though in the case of Maloney especially and maybe McBeth it may be based more on trade value than on optimism for performance in Cincy. I've gone a year with Fisher as my top sleeper and am still on board with him. I'm a little less optimistic that he can develop into a solid #4 starter (but still think he could) based on his tired arm in the middle of the year and the stamina questions it suggests. I still think he could be a vaulable multi-inning reliever in Cincy and given that many of these guys may never even sniff the big leagues that still qualifies him as one of the better prospects IMO. I think Rosales can be very valuable to a team if he develops the versatility that his background suggests. Griffin could do the same but he doesn't have the pop and I share Doug's concern with the lack of walks. I think Watson could be a late inning stud and think its his eventual role.

I'd probably drop the ranking of most of the recent draft picks who have struggled (Stubbs, Mesoraco, etc.) and at this point Travis Wood would need to show some health and progression to higher levels before being in the top 10. I wonder what his trade value is at this point.

Betterread
10-27-2007, 11:44 AM
What is your top 10?

I think the top 4 are very good prospects, Francisco has very high potential at a young age, but needs to address the contact issue, I think Stubbs has a lot of potential and is making solid progress but has some things to work on. Maloney and Valaika look like real ballplayers to me. After that I had Frazier and Turner (because they are proven hitters, but I don't know what position they'll play), but there are 5 other names that could be interchangeable with them.

1. Bruce
2. Bailey
3. Cueto
4. Votto
5. Francisco
6. Stubbs
7. Maloney
8. Valaika

9. Frazier
10.Turner

Dorn, Lotzkar, Mesoraco, Neftali Soto, Watson

dougdirt
10-27-2007, 11:52 AM
I should probably wait for the rest of the list (Good Work Doug). But assuming the top 10 includes the big 4, Stubbs, Mesoraco, Frazier, Wood, Roenicke and Soto in some order, that would mean that Jose Castro, Jose Rojas, Phil Valiquette, Ben Jukich and Alex Smit didn't make the cut. I'd probably rank those guys ahead of Janish, Lutz, and Jones anyway. Castro in particular should be in the top 10 or 15 IMO. He is a guy with the defensive chops to play SS in the majors, showed a decent bat in the pitching dominated FSL (.318/.342/.383) and showed some promise as a 20 year old in AA. He at least looks like a defensive minded IF who isn't completely an automatic out. At age 20 that is a prospect IMO.

Castro, I felt comfortable leaving off simply due to the fact that I don't honestly know a whole bunch about him. Anyone coming from Boston or the New York teams, I am very wary of any reports on them I don't hear from guys I know.... and I hadn't heard anything on him. Numbers wise, he didn't blow me away, although he is young and at a high level. I didn't rank him becuase of that, not because of what he has done. Same thing with the Henry kid we also got. I left them off because of my own ignorance about them.

Rojas was in the 50 guys I selected before I started breaking them down. He just didn't make the cut. I am not big on relievers as it is, just due to their potential impact value if they aren't a bonafide closer.

Valiquette also was in the 50 mentioned, but if he is coming out of the bullpen for now, he didn't warrant a top 40 spot in my mind. If he is coming out of the bullpen next year, and has strong numbers in a full season league he will be right back in the conversation, but for now, he sits at the back end of the 40's with me.

Jukich has never done much for me. He has a good curveball, but he is very old for his level and only had decent success in a pitchers league that he was 2-3 years old for.

Smit worries me. His velocity was reported to be 4-5 MPH faster in Minnesota than it was reported when he was in Dayton this year. He was right ahead of Jukich for me, as I worry there may be something up with his arm.

I'd probably drop the ranking of most of the recent draft picks who have struggled (Stubbs, Mesoraco, etc.) and at this point Travis Wood would need to show some health and progression to higher levels before being in the top 10. I wonder what his trade value is at this point.

Stubbs has struggled some, but he has also thrived. I figure I will get some flack on where I rank him, but thats fine. As for Mesoraco, he struggled a whole lot, but at this point in his career, scouting reports outweight numbers big time, especially for a kid playing with two hurt thumbs most of the season as a catcher.

As for Wood, from everything I have heard, he feels very good and pitched well in instruction league. Thats all I need to know about him given what he has done in the past and his stuff. When you have a 20 year old pitcher who some scouts have said since he was 19 that he might have the best change up in all of the minor leagues, there is something very valuable in that, espcially if he carries a fastball in the 90s.

dougdirt
10-27-2007, 11:54 AM
I think the top 4 are very good prospects, Francisco has very high potential at a young age, but needs to address the contact issue, I think Stubbs has a lot of potential and is making solid progress but has some things to work on. Maloney and Valaika look like real ballplayers to me. After that I had Frazier and Turner (because they are proven hitters, but I don't know what position they'll play), but there are 5 other names that could be interchangeable with them.

1. Bruce
2. Bailey
3. Cueto
4. Votto
5. Francisco
6. Stubbs
7. Maloney
8. Valaika

9. Frazier
10.Turner

Dorn, Lotzkar, Mesoraco, Neftali Soto, Watson

Solid list :thumbup:. Just a few things that we disagree with, mainly on Maloney. I can see where you could rank everyone else where you did though.

HokieRed
10-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Just a technical question--are we still counting Bailey and Votto as prospects? I think Doug must be; otherwise I can't figure out who his top ten are.

dougdirt
10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Just a technical question--are we still counting Bailey and Votto as prospects? I think Doug must be; otherwise I can't figure out who his top ten are.

Yes, I am. Until they are no longer eligible for the ROY, they are prospects.

Kc61
10-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Having read the full list, first let me congratulate Doug for a fine job. I thought that Soto was rated too high at nine. He's a non-shortstop who is getting a lot of credit for a hot start at GCL. He's got a long way to go before I'd put him in the top ten. Youth is on his side but I still favor prospects like Lotzkar and Francisco as well as a few others who are closer to the majors.

The other one that bothered me a little was Pelland. Guy is probably inches from the major leagues, has done well at AAA. Still a concern about walking guys but he misses bats. I think he is better than 21 in this organization.

Doug, you might consider a "best of the rest" list since the organization is so deep right now.

Once again, thanks for an interesting read.

4256 Hits
10-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Doug,

Great list thanks for the read. Do you happen to have the breakout of which year each was drafted. Such as these players were taken in 2007 these in 2006......these by trade.

Just wondering things like how many Bowden players still hanging around and is there anyother payers for the 04 draft other then Bailey that have any chance of making the Reds.

Thanks again!

Betterread
10-27-2007, 11:03 PM
Solid list :thumbup:. Just a few things that we disagree with, mainly on Maloney. I can see where you could rank everyone else where you did though.
And I really enjoyed reading your top 40. You justified every rating. Even though I might rank some players differently, your reasoning was logical and articulate. I particularly liked the scouting analysis of Wood and Mesoraco. The bottom line is that I learned something from you about a number of Reds prospects and I thank you for sharing your knowledge with this board.

camisadelgolf
10-28-2007, 06:49 AM
I'm shocked by Keltavious Jones at number 40. I like him a lot (he is one of "my" prospects), but with the way he tailed off in Dayton, I'm not so high on him. I think his lack of size combined with him likely being a left fielder tells me he's kind of like Lenny Harris (a year or two removed from his prime) in the outfield. I hope I'm wrong and dougdirt know something I don't.

Overall, I think it's a great list (which is what I expect from dougdirt). There were some bold choices that I liked a lot (Roenicke as high as #10 and Hilde(n)brandt at #27, for example).

dougdirt
10-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Having read the full list, first let me congratulate Doug for a fine job. I thought that Soto was rated too high at nine. He's a non-shortstop who is getting a lot of credit for a hot start at GCL. He's got a long way to go before I'd put him in the top ten. Youth is on his side but I still favor prospects like Lotzkar and Francisco as well as a few others who are closer to the majors.

The other one that bothered me a little was Pelland. Guy is probably inches from the major leagues, has done well at AAA. Still a concern about walking guys but he misses bats. I think he is better than 21 in this organization.

Doug, you might consider a "best of the rest" list since the organization is so deep right now.

Once again, thanks for an interesting read.

As far as Pellands ranking goes, basically I am not very big on ranking relief pitchers very high. I think their value is very limited unless they are a bona fide closer.

As far as Soto goes, this isn't why I ranked him at #9, but he did rank higher than Lotzkar and Mesoraco in the GCL Top 20 done by Baseball America, so some others certainly see something as well. He uses the entire field when he hits, and hits line drives all over the place. That is something I love to see in young hitters.

SoTxRedsFan
10-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Awesome list Doug. I learned more about the Reds minor league system reading those articles than I did this entire season. Thanks a lot.

bucksfan2
10-29-2007, 03:50 PM
As far as Pellands ranking goes, basically I am not very big on ranking relief pitchers very high. I think their value is very limited unless they are a bona fide closer.

As far as Soto goes, this isn't why I ranked him at #9, but he did rank higher than Lotzkar and Mesoraco in the GCL Top 20 done by Baseball America, so some others certainly see something as well. He uses the entire field when he hits, and hits line drives all over the place. That is something I love to see in young hitters.

Doug what have you heard about Soto from any scouts? I just watch his draft video and when I watched it it looked like he was a polished hitter. Probably a huge stretch but I watched several others and he just looked the best at the plate out of all of them. His fast start in Sarasota also sparked my interest in him.

It seems as the Mesorasco ranking is basically by defalut. Ranked high based on potental and draft position. I would assume the next 2 years are important for his development. I would doubt you see him playing much winter ball if any trying to get healthy for next season.

I think next season is huge for Stubbs. Do you think he will start in Sarasota? It sure would be nice for him to start moving a little faster than he already is.

dougdirt
10-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Doug what have you heard about Soto from any scouts? I just watch his draft video and when I watched it it looked like he was a polished hitter. Probably a huge stretch but I watched several others and he just looked the best at the plate out of all of them. His fast start in Sarasota also sparked my interest in him.

I havent heard anything other than what I have read online about any of the guys that were in the GCL this year.

It seems as the Mesorasco ranking is basically by defalut. Ranked high based on potental and draft position. I would assume the next 2 years are important for his development. I would doubt you see him playing much winter ball if any trying to get healthy for next season.

Mesoraco is ranked high based off of his potential. He played pretty bad as a hitter this year, but it was really small of a sample, and scouting reports trump that big time at this point in his career. Toss in the fact he was trying to swing a bat with two injured thumbs and he gets a free pass from me.

I think next season is huge for Stubbs. Do you think he will start in Sarasota? It sure would be nice for him to start moving a little faster than he already is.
Next season is big for him, and yes, he will start in Sarasota unless he goes crazy in the spring and the Reds think he is ready for AA (although I doubt that happens because they really seem to push these guys 1 level at a time). The Reds have not shown that they are willing to push their college drafted hitters much. Only Rosales, Roberts and Dorn have made the jump from drafted one year to starting in Sarasota the next under Krivsky. I would like to see more of the college hitters skipping over Dayton than spending half a season or more in Dayton. I know that the Dragons have a great fan base and great owners, but I think it would be better for some guys to skip over Dayton (college wise only, HS kids can really use the benefit of playing in Dayton).

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Alex Smit was not on your Top 40. Where do you have him ranked and could he make the Top 40 in the future?

dougdirt
10-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Alex Smit was not on your Top 40. Where do you have him ranked and could he make the Top 40 in the future?

He could make it in the future, but I would like to see his velocity where it once was. His drop in velocity, I am worried that something may be up with his arm.

M2
10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
doug, I like that you kept Wood in the top 10 despite his struggles. He didn't have a catastrophic injury and he should be back to pitching well next season.

I like the high ranking for Frazier. I'd have had him one slot higher even.

Good to see Roenicke in at #10. I'd be tempted to push him up to #6 or #7. Sounds like scouts are really bullish on him.

I'd have buried Mesoraco and Soto a lot lower on the list. As a general rule, I don't let anyone who's only played in the GCL or AZL into the top 10. I don't like to let guys from rookie and short-season leagues in there either, unless it's a guy like Frazier who flashed a premier stick.

Red Daddy
10-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's my stab at a Top 40.

1. Bruce
2. Bailey
3. Cueto
4. Votto
5. Stubbs
6. Frazier- great first year, has always been successful
7. Mesoraco- too much talent to move down
8. Wood- reluctantly at 8, his injuries are scaring me.
9. Watson- lots of talent, has totally dominated at times
10. Lotzkar- 17, lefty, heaves 93 mph

11. Fisher- this guy had it clicking for a big part of the season, dominated the whole first part of the year, and did well last year.
12. Rosales- had a monster statistical year
13. Maloney- his velocity (88 mph) scares me a bit, but this guy was untouchable with the Reds system. Ranked 9th in Phily system last year.
14. Francisco- great year, great talent, excellent power, tons of strikeouts.
15. Soto- young with great tools, great first year.
16. Roenicke- big power
17. Thompson- had a great early half of the year
18. Dorn- this guy can just hit and the power came this year.
19. Valaika- I like this guy but am very disappointed at his year in high A ball.
20. Lecure- this guy is a good pitcher and close to being very good.
21. Gardner- he came back strong after 2 years of injuries. Dominated up to AA. Struggled in AAA. Maybe he was tired. Velocity was still below where he was before the injury. If he gets a little more back, he will play for Cincy this year.
22. Waring- what a great year. Strikeouts scare me a little.
23. Perez- hit well this year, can catch with the best of them.
24. Gonzalez- his talent is strong, it was once called a tick below Homer Bailey by BA. Finally had a good year in low A but had low strikeouts.
25. Carroll- lots of velocity and hopefully potential
26. Viola- dominated last year. Completely dominated!!
27. Pelland- He'll play in Cincy next yr. Dramatically cut walks after moving to pen.
28. Justin Turner- has been a great hitter.
29. Dickerson- this guy is why I'm not high on prospects who strikeout alot. This guy is insanely talented but just can't make consistant contact.
30. Justin Reed- Made great strides this year.
31. K. Jones- Ditto
32. Sean Henry- prospect with Mets. very small for prospect
33. Heisey- has moved fast with speed and good hitting
34. McBeth- wasn't ready for the move to Cincy, hopefully he'll be ready this year if called.
35. Griffin- don't know why this guy doesn't get more respect. he plays well
36. Valiquette- still very young, lefty, had a great year, dramatically lowered his walks this year.
37. Tatum- may have turned the corner
38. Cozart- great glove, bat heated a little as the year moved on.
39. Janish- where did his bat go?
40. Guevera- one of my favorites. His 90 mph screwball strikes batters out with Rob Dibble efficiency.