PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for those searching for authentic NFL jerseys: Check eBay.

TC81190
10-28-2007, 05:02 PM
I've notice this trend since around last Christmas since I've been in the market for one:

You can find an authentic jersey for any big name player or team on eBay from anywhere around 20-40 dollars. I was surpirsed by this, especially considering in stores like Dick's or Finish Line, these things go for upwards of 100 dollars.

I've got a bid in for a powder blue Tomlinson jersey, and right now, the auction is only at 25 dollars with several hours left.

So heads up there.

GoReds33
10-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the tip. I am an avid collector of sports memorabelia, but my jersey section is running a bit thin.

Caveat Emperor
10-28-2007, 11:49 PM
A lot of the "authentic" jerseys you see on eBay for low prices (anything sub $50 on a screen job, anything sub $100 on a stitch job) are actually Korean knock-offs. You really can't tell the difference, though.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2007, 05:02 PM
I got a Rudi Johnson jersey on ebay once that I didn't really pay attention to while bidding.

The lettering on the back was done in all white, with no border or other colors.

It's so atrocious that I can't bring myself to wear the thing. Awful.

Some of the Korean ones are great- I have a powder blue, long sleeve Warren Moon one that gets me compliments everytime I where it. I added some Houston Oiler patches to it to make it look even better.

On a side note- I wore my 2002 Bengals jersey with Esiason's name and number on it (bought a real one from NFLShop) a few weeks back while in Cincy and I had 10 people beg to to know where I got it. Thing is awesome.

Degenerate39
10-31-2007, 05:05 PM
I bought a Carson Palmer jersey at Value City for 50 bucks and it was 75 at the sporting good store just down the road. And I got a Pollack jersey for 20 dollars.

WMR
10-31-2007, 05:20 PM
I bought one of the "authentic" Chad Johnson jerseys that normally sell for like 150-175 off of eBay for like 75 bucks, IIRC. Had all the tags attached and was still in plastic. Was guaranteed to be genuine by the seller who had like 5000 positive feedback or something ridiculous like that... I just wonder how they can afford to sell such otherwise expensive items at such a discount? Bulk purchases? Special "dealer" prices? Merchandise that "falls off a truck"? :laugh:

RedFanAlways1966
10-31-2007, 10:53 PM
... I just wonder how they can afford to sell such otherwise expensive items at such a discount? Bulk purchases? Special "dealer" prices? Merchandise that "falls off a truck"? :laugh:

Might be getting them overseas. My father used to make business trips to Asia and bring me back Bengals merchandise that he bought right outside of the factory making the stuff. Got it for dirt cheap. Also got leather coats in the same fashion (1/8 the price charged in the U.S. for the exact same coat). You are only allowed to purchase a certain amount, but I am sure some of the ebay sellers have means that do not follow the law to a tee.

LawFive
11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
I bought a Houshmandzadeh jersey (stitched) for $40 a few weeks ago. Had the official "NFL" hologram on the price tag, which read $289.99. Either it is a very good fake, or I'm gonna be charged with receiving stolen property sometime soon...

Danny Serafini
11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
There are such things as "imitation genuine" articles of clothing. I have to stretch back awhile to a college course, but I remember that trademarks only apply on a country to country basis. There are a bunch of companies in Mexico for instance that apply for trademarks on U. S. brand names, then create cheap copies that look the same, but since the cost of labor is so much cheaper there, have a much cheaper selling price. I'd imagine that's what's happening with these jerseys. They're not the real thing, but someone in another country has that name and trademark and therefore can produce items with the same name and sell them much cheaper. There may not be any difference in quality, just price.

Patrick Bateman
11-01-2007, 09:40 PM
There are such things as "imitation genuine" articles of clothing. I have to stretch back awhile to a college course, but I remember that trademarks only apply on a country to country basis. There are a bunch of companies in Mexico for instance that apply for trademarks on U. S. brand names, then create cheap copies that look the same, but since the cost of labor is so much cheaper there, have a much cheaper selling price. I'd imagine that's what's happening with these jerseys. They're not the real thing, but someone in another country has that name and trademark and therefore can produce items with the same name and sell them much cheaper. There may not be any difference in quality, just price.

Ya I have a Jake Peavy like that which came from Korea (I knew what I was getting into at the time). It's basically the same quality with the only difference being a cheaper fabric used for the numbers and lettering. The stitching is legit. It's not much of a noticeable difference and it looks great. Saved me over $200 too.