PDA

View Full Version : Merged ARod Threads: Opts Out Then Signs With Yankees Again

WMR
10-28-2007, 10:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/specials/playoffs/2007/10/28/rodriguez.contract/index.html

WMR
10-28-2007, 10:44 PM
A-Rod to opt out of contract
Boras notifies Yankees of client's free-agent wishes

DENVER -- Alex Rodriguez notified the Yankees on Sunday that he's opting out of his record $252 million contract, SI.com has learned.

Rodriguez's decision means he will become a free agent and be able to negotiate with all clubs. Rodriguez's bombshell move will shake up the entire winter for the Yankees -- who had hoped to retain him with a big extension -- as well as other big-market clubs that will now pursue him.

Rodriguez's agent Scott Boras said he sent word of the opt-out in writing Sunday and left phone and text messages for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

According to team president Randy Levine, the Yankees were unaware of Rodriguez's decision.

The Yankees have said that once A-Rod opts out, they wil not pursue him, since they will lose the benefit of the Texas Rangers' $30-million subsidy.

"Alex made the decision today,'' Boras said. "I thought we should notify the club.''

The Yankees were preparing an extension to his current contract for either five or six years, believed to be for close to $30 million annually. However, team officials said Boras has politely declined to meet with them in recent days, and they never presented the offer.

Rodriguez technically had until 10 days after the World Series ended to exercise his opt-out rights, which were provided in his $252 million Texas deal. However, Boras said Rodriguez felt there was no way he could make a decision to stay in that short a period of time since several situations remain unsettled, including those of Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte.

Degenerate39
10-28-2007, 10:45 PM
This should be interesting

WMR
10-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Pay-Rod is gonna get PAID.

(let's hope it's not the Scrubbies!) :eek:

AmarilloRed
10-28-2007, 11:14 PM
I suppose the Yankees potential offer was not going to be enough, after all. It will be interesting to see where he will get a better offer from.

jmac
10-28-2007, 11:34 PM
I second that !!

AmarilloRed
10-28-2007, 11:37 PM
The Texas Rangers will be turning cartwheels since they do not have to pay the Yankees any more money.:rockband:

Boston Red
10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Who else could it be other than the Cubs? Has to be Cubs, Mets, White Sox, Red Sox, Angels or Dodgers, right? Can't see any other market swinging it.

Edd Roush
10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Pay-Rod is gonna get PAID.

If the Cubs did sign A-Rod, where would they play him/Aramis Ramirez? Would one move to the outfield? I, for one, wouldn't mind if the Cubs weighed themselves down with ARod's contract, especially considering that you can't expect a player to stay healthy every year of his career, especially when he is on the wrong side of 30.

However, if the Cubs were to sign ARod, they may have a higher propensity to spend money in the future.

Count me in the crowd of some one who wants a top closer (please Joe Nathan) over ARod.

mlbfan30
10-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah... A top closer who pitchers 80 innings a year is so much more valuable than the best player in baseball...

fewfirstchoice
10-29-2007, 12:08 AM
I believe everyone should black ball Pay Rod for opting out of that deal.I mean sure Im all for players getting what they can from the owners,but come on does anyone need more than 25 mil. a year that he was getting.I believe not.I think the teams,fans,owners,and all players should black ball him for trying to get more than what he was already making.I know peoples going to blast for saying it but its true.The man already has enough money to make his grand children very rich people and probably his great grand kids aswell.I would just love to see the owners come out and I say Ill give you the 25 mil. a year but not anymore.But it wont happen.Theres not a owner in the league that has morales so it wont happen.

Jr's Boy
10-29-2007, 12:12 AM
If the Cubs did sign A-Rod, where would they play him/Aramis Ramirez? Would one move to the outfield? I, for one, wouldn't mind if the Cubs weighed themselves down with ARod's contract, especially considering that you can't expect a player to stay healthy every year of his career, especially when he is on the wrong side of 30.

However, if the Cubs were to sign ARod, they may have a higher propensity to spend money in the future.

Count me in the crowd of some one who wants a top closer (please Joe Nathan) over ARod.

Yeah count me in too.;)

Arod 2007:

Blue
10-29-2007, 12:50 AM
I might not be able to watch baseball for a few years if he goes to the Cubs. Seriously. That would knock 5 more teams out of contention every year, joining the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Tampa Bay. However, considering that Texas signed him to his original FA deal, he could go just about any where, though the large markets have obvious advantages.

mlbfan30
10-29-2007, 12:51 AM
For those who thinks Arod isnt worth it, look at his career closely. Notice that he's had 35+ HR/100+ RBI in 11 seasons, and 100+ Runs every year since 1996. He's basically a .300/.400/.600 hitter every single year. 30M is a lot, but think about all the bad contracts on mediocre players that just add up to wasted roster spots. 1 Player who will take up 1 Roster spot that is equal to 6 players in production is so much better for a team. It allows the team to use its prospects to build around the main players.
THE REDS NEED A RIGHT HANDED POWER HITTER and Arod is perfect. He can play SS possibly, which might allow us to trade Agone for w/e.
Think about it.... in 2009 we have a lineup of

Hamilton
Votto
Arod
Dunn
BP
Bruce
EE
FA Catcher

Notice how left handed the lineup still is even with Arod... we NEED him

Then with a rotation of...

Harang
Bailey
Arroyo
Cueto
Maloney?

That's a very respectable Rotation
The owner says he wants to win... bumping up to 100M is a high amount, but it still would be 10th or so in baseball... It's not unreasonable

Goten
10-29-2007, 01:07 AM
anyone find it funny how Boras announced it right during the end of the worldseries? He probably would of waited till Game 7 of the series if it went to seven games.

WMR
10-29-2007, 01:10 AM
anyone find it funny how Boras announced it right during the end of the worldseries? He probably would of waited till Game 7 of the series went to seven games.

I would lay money on it, Goten. He wanted to piggyback onto whatever event would garner maximum exposure. Perfect microcosm of everything--i.e. nothing but money--that Boras and Pay-Rod stand for.

10-29-2007, 02:30 AM
I think this might backfire on Boros. If A-Rod couldn't lead the Yankees to the World Series, how can he lead any other team? Every other team will be loaded down with his payroll. I think (hope) that other clubs will realize this. Every team that he leaves, gets better after he leaves, and every team he joins gets worse.

Yes he puts up amazing stats, but he has never, I repeat, never been to the World Series. The only other player of his caliber not to play in the WS I can think of is Ernie Banks. However, if Banks had been traded to the Yankees in the middle of his career, I have a feeling he would have made it at least once.

Whoever signs him will regret it, and I hope that he will not get anymore than he is getting now. Although I have a feeling that there is at least one owner dumb enough to fall for Boros' BS one more time.

Bip Roberts
10-29-2007, 02:38 AM
Its a money grab i dont think World Series are the top priority

ChatterRed
10-29-2007, 08:03 AM
I think this might backfire on Boros. If A-Rod couldn't lead the Yankees to the World Series, how can he lead any other team? Every other team will be loaded down with his payroll. I think (hope) that other clubs will realize this. Every team that he leaves, gets better after he leaves, and every team he joins gets worse.

Yes he puts up amazing stats, but he has never, I repeat, never been to the World Series. The only other player of his caliber not to play in the WS I can think of is Ernie Banks. However, if Banks had been traded to the Yankees in the middle of his career, I have a feeling he would have made it at least once.

Whoever signs him will regret it, and I hope that he will not get anymore than he is getting now. Although I have a feeling that there is at least one owner dumb enough to fall for Boros' BS one more time.

I agree with you.

And if the Yankees can't afford him, who can - without strangling their ability to field a competitive team?

I'm also in the camp that says he will be on the downside of 30. Not saying he won't have a few more years of greatness, but at some point, his numbers will become more human and that team will be saddled with his big contract.

As for his stats, he played with Griffey and Edgar Martinez and other quality players in Seattle and he played with a great team in New York. Great lineups afford a player like him protection and rbi opportunities. If he goes for the huge payday and the team he goes to can't afford anyone else offensively, will his stats continue and will he be happy?

I think this is a losing situation for A-Rod and he should have stuck to his contract. The only reason he should have opted out, and this may be the reason, is to get a final contract for his career while he's still posting great numbers.

But then again, there is a small chance it could backfire.

P.S. - my honest opinion is that a player like A-Rod, who has plenty enough money, should fire Boras, and take a lesser offer with a good team that A-Rod knows has a good shot at the World Series title, i.e. Boston, Atlanta, Mets, etc. How much money do you need? Is this to appease your ego or pad Boras' bank account and his reputation as the greediest agent in baseball?

Bigredfan#1
10-29-2007, 08:17 AM
It could be about money although I am not sure it is! I tend to think it was about the media scrutiny in NY, as well as the feud with Jeter who did not have his back last year during the times he struggled and the fact he was disrespected by being moved to 8th in the lineup by Torre. He was not accepted or loved in NY. Jeter is their man and will continue to be, ARod was just another star on the team who was never accepted by the media or the team from what it looked like from th e outside. And besides that he moved to 3B when he was a gold glove SS. He may be selfish and self centered but he did move and honestly I would have had a hard time doing that if I were him!!

as_v_1
10-29-2007, 10:07 AM
P.S. - my honest opinion is that a player like A-Rod, who has plenty enough money, should fire Boras, and take a lesser offer with a good team that A-Rod knows has a good shot at the World Series title, i.e. Boston, Atlanta, Mets, etc. How much money do you need? Is this to appease your ego or pad Boras' bank account and his reputation as the greediest agent in baseball?

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Guys like Boras and Rosenhaus have huge ego's that lead them to demanding insane contracts for there clients. Having one guy take up most of your payroll is insane.

Reverend Doo-Rag
10-29-2007, 11:24 AM
I think this is a bluff. Nothing has been made official. This is a negotiating tactic to get the Yankees to bid against themselves as well as the Sox, Angels, etc. We very well may see that A-rod "has a change of heart" in the coming days and continues the contract, with about 7 years tacked on to the end. Consider all the players in this drama. I'm going to guess that leatherpants throws his hat in the ring very soon.

stevekun
10-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Its not a bluff...if he turned down that much money it must mean someone is willing to pay it out there...so its probably already been worked out

Jefferson24
10-29-2007, 01:20 PM
The only way A Rod comes to Cincinnati is if he is solely motivated by seeking the HR crown. He knows he would have to play for less than he could get elsewhere and that there is a good chance he wouldn't be on a playoff team in the real near future.

I don't see that happening.

10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Great article by Buster Olney about A-Rod. He used to be a NY beat writer, so he knows the situation as well as anyone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=3084735

Edd Roush
10-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah... A top closer who pitchers 80 innings a year is so much more valuable than the best player in baseball...

The problem is it's not that simple. If you had read the whole post, you would understand that. It's the fact that nothing in baseball is certain and I wouldn't wager a third of my payroll on one player, even if it is the best player in baseball. Players get hurt and the Reds' need at 3b is not nearly as great as it is for a closer.

Nathan is off the market any ways, with the Twins exercising their option on him. However, Mariano or Francisco Cordero would be a nice add too.

Orenda
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Guys like Boras and Rosenhaus have huge ego's that lead them to demanding insane contracts for there clients. Having one guy take up most of your payroll is insane.

I cant believe I am actually going to defend Scott Boras, but you have to remember he is not only responsible for the superstars such as A-Rod, but it is also his job to drive the market up for the other players he represents. So if your paying A-Rod 25-30 million, the 10-13 million Aaron Rowand could receive looks a little more reasonable. Just look at the type of deals Meche and Mathews got last year, some owners are willing to pay, or exceed what the market dictates. As much as I revile Scott Boras as a sports fan, if I was in the position to have an agent represent me, you could be damn sure I'd want him.

BoldOD
10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
...ego to land. Though it would be interesting to see him land on a contending team to see if he could individually help another potentially winning team underperform.

GoReds33
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't want him even sniffing at Cincinnati. He would cost millions more than we could afford, and it's just not worth it. He alone wouldn't make us a consistant contender. For us to be a contender, as always, it's pitching, pitching, pitching... and maybe a little more Brandon Phillips.:)

durl
10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
He's too expensive. Pass.

It's been pointed out that he is not a guarantee to get to the World Series. He costs too much for ANY team, in my opinion.

ChatterRed
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
A-Rod will get his $30 million, Boras will get his $3-5 million or whatever his fee is............and A-Rod's team he goes to will be hardpressed to afford pitching and offense to protect him in the lineup. A-Rod will get older, more injury prone, and go the way of Bonds, Griffey, and a whole host of other superstars who chose the bucks over the world championship(s).

How much is enough?

AmarilloRed
11-14-2007, 10:08 PM
A-Rod near deal to remain with Yanks
by Ed Price and Dan Graziano/The Star-Ledger
Wednesday November 14, 2007, 6:32 PM
Scott Lituchy/The Star-LedgerAlex Rodriguez.Yankees won

Alex Rodriguez is closing in on a $280 million deal to remain with the Yankees, just weeks after his relationship with the team seemed to be severed.

The third baseman and future Hall of Famer reached out to the Yankees in recent days to repair the ill feelings that lingered from his decision to become a free agent and to begin talks on a new contract. Now, a deal is close, according to a person who has been briefed on the negotiations.

The third baseman said on his Web site this afternoon that he reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends to discuss remaining with the team.

"After spending time with Cynthia (Rodriguez) and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization," he wrote.

The Yankees were receptive to the overture by Rodriguez, whose agent Scott Boras had alienated the team's management by announcing during the World Series the third baseman would opt out of his contract and become a free agent.

"It's pretty clear to all of use he definitely wants to stay a Yankee," Hank Steinbrenner, team executive and son of owner George Steinbrenner, said today in an interview. "And that's all he's had to prove to me."

The Yankees insisted all summer that if Rodriguez opted out of the final three years of his contract they would not bid on him as a free agent. Once he opted out, the Yankees lost $21.3 million from the Texas Rangers toward his 2008-10 salaries.

The day after Rodriguez opted out, Hank Steinbrenner said, "We're going to pretty much hold fast. It's a shame." But now Steinbrenner said he is open to Rodriguez's return.

"Alex has reached out to us through a third party," Steinbrenner said today. "It kind of looks like he wants to stay."

Once Rodriguez told the Yankees he wanted to come back, things started moving pretty quickly. According to a person who was briefed on the discussions, Rodriguez and the Yankees are already in negotiations on a 10-year contract worth approximately $280 million.

The person, who requested anonymity because he is not directly involved, said the deal would be heavily backloaded, with only about $50 million of it coming in the first three years.

The Yankees made it clear to Rodriguez that the only way they would do the deal is if he agreed to a much lower salary in 2008, 2009 and 2010. When Rodriguez went back to the Yankees and told them he wanted to come back, he agreed to essentially make up for the Texas money by accepting a lower salary for the next three years.

After 2010, Rodriguez's salaries would increase to an average of more than $30 million per year. The deal would also include incentive bonuses that could push Rodriguez's salary higher, even in the first three years, if he met certain performance thresholds.

The average annual salary of $28 million would be more than $27 million a year he would have made in the peak-salary years of his previous contract and would match Roger Clemens' record salary of $28 million from 2007.

The person briefed on the discussions said the deal was complicated and could take a few days to finalize, but that both sides seemed confident it would eventually get done.

Rodriguez said on his Web site he wanted the "opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees ownership" prior to entering serious negotiations with other teams.

"Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness," he said in the statement. "As a result I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message. I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation."

Rodriguez said he has spoken directly with the Steinbrenners.

"Both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days."

Steinbrenner hinted that Rodriguez might make concessions on his salary to make up for the lost Rangers subsidy.

"It looks like he's willing to make certain sacrifices to stay a Yankee," Steinbrenner said.

Boras did not immediately return a call seeking comment but has generally been opposed to being left out of contract negotiations.

"I'm not going to get into details at this point," Steinbrenner said.

Rodriguez is expected to win his third career MVP award next week. This year he led the majors with 54 homers, 143 runs and 156 RBI.

Read more coverage on The Star-Ledger's Yankees blog.
See more in Editors' Picks, News, Sports

Who expected the Yankees to re-sign him after he opted out? I know I didn't. I thought he might go somewhere like the Dodgers or the Angels, but it turns out there was very little interest. The Yankees got him to agree to less than 30 million the first couple of years, but he will make his money in the end.

George Foster
11-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Well....Arod finally told Boras who works for who....should of done it a lot earlier.

I guess he finally got the message that if the richest team in baseball could not afford him, no one could. The only team that showed any willingness to talk to him was the Dodgers.

The Yankees have said that any contract with Arod would be minus the 21 million owned to them by the Rangers. I guess the Rangers are the real winners....marry Christmas early.

If I was Arod I would fire Boras tomorrow. The responsibility of any agent is to put his client in the very best "light" and position. Boras did neither, and in fact put Arod in the worst "light" of any free agent in recent history. Announcing the decision to leave the Yankees during the 8th inning of game 4 of the World Series was just plain "bush league" by Boras.

I'm glad Arod came to his senses. I'm also glad he's won't be in the National league...;)

11-15-2007, 01:24 AM
The best part of this is that Boros can not save face on this.
First, this was done without him, against his advice, which really makes him look weak.
Second, his move to have A-rod opt out his contract backfired, and forced A-Rod to take less money for the first three years, to make up for what it cost the Yankess in lost Ranger money.
Boros got faced!

Orenda
11-15-2007, 08:55 AM
How bout the fact that a-rod contacted the yankees via a third party? Weak...he can turn around a fastball coming over 90mph and park it in the seats, but he can't man up and handle his business himself.

robmadden1
11-15-2007, 11:42 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300545&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

The Cowboy
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Im tired of a-rod, I wish noone would sign him..

*BaseClogger*
11-15-2007, 01:20 PM
don't care

zemtech
11-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Amen!!! I'm sick of ARod as well!

GoReds33
11-15-2007, 03:30 PM
This is good news to me. I had a sneaky suspicion that somehow he would end up with the Cubs.

Goten
11-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Arod's a Yankee.

Bigredfan#1
11-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Hate it, because I hate the Yankees!!

mlbfan30
11-15-2007, 11:33 PM
You hate it because he's the best player in baseball and he's on the Yankees? He was due about 27M for the next 3 years anyway, so it's only a very small increase in salary, just extended for a long time. In 10 years, 27.5M will look more like "20"M due to salary inflations and his contract will actually look decent.

ChatterRed
11-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I was actually surprised by this signing, only in that it seemed like he wanted out of the Yankees, and he and Boras seemed intent on getting alot more money.

I wonder if no other teams could afford him and he had to go back to the only team that could for a small increase?

Collusion! Collusion!!! Or more rightly, nobody had enough money!

EddieMilner
11-16-2007, 09:40 AM
You hate it because he's the best player in baseball and he's on the Yankees? He was due about 27M for the next 3 years anyway, so it's only a very small increase in salary, just extended for a long time. In 10 years, 27.5M will look more like "20"M due to salary inflations and his contract will actually look decent.

I remember when A-rod inked his last deal, everyone believed that in 7-10 years it would seem like a great deal for the Rangers due to salary inflations. That never happened.

scounts22
11-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Neat.

mlbfan30
11-17-2007, 03:23 PM
I remember when A-rod inked his last deal, everyone believed that in 7-10 years it would seem like a great deal for the Rangers due to salary inflations. That never happened.

Arod was worth his last contract.... it's not like he had any bad seasons, or even missed time due to injury. He was consistently the best SS or 3B in baseball and probably the best player in the game over that time. The bad contracts are those that are playing guys to sit on the DL most of the contract, or not produce up to expectations.