PDA

View Full Version : Colts vs. Pats (week 9)

fearofpopvol1
10-29-2007, 01:10 AM
What do you think? I'll admit before I make the case for the Colts that I am indeed a Colts fan. With that said, here is my argument in favor of.

Looks like the Pats are favored by 4 points. The funny thing about this situation is it feels like the Colts have been completely overlooked (although the media finally started to recognize this last weekend and definitely this weekend).

Some stats...

-The Colts did win the Superbowl last year
-The Colts are undefeated as well
-The Colts have played a tougher schedule thus far (Pats Opponents are a combined 21-31 compared to Indy's opponents that are 24-21) and play in a tougher conference (Indy has Jacksonville, Tennessee and Houston compared to New England having the Bills, Jets and Dolphins)
-The Colts have won their last 12 games (dating back to last year)
-The Colts have won the last 3 meetings with the Patriots and this game is in Indy

The Pats are #1 in total YPG on the offensive side compared to Indy being #3. The Pats are #3 in total defensive yards per game allowed while the Colts are #4 (only 4 yards a game difference though). The Pats do have the passing advantage, but the Colts have the running advantage, at least the stats would say so. The biggest disparity I can find between the 2 teams is the points per game allowed (maybe the most important stat). Indy ranks 2nd in the league whereas the Pats are 10.

Stats are cool, but in the end, they're not as meaningful as they may seem. 2 years ago, The Colts were doing what the Pats are this year, even if they wern't as dominant as this Pats team (scoring a ton of points, lots of touchdowns and just making opponents silly). We all know what the end result of that season was. No doubt, the Patriots look amazing. This looks like the best team they've had since they've been contenders in this era. I'm definitely not going to sit here and claim the Colts will win, but I still feel like Indy is overlooked. All the analysts will pick the Pats for next week and the oddsmakers already have as well. As I said earlier, it wasn't really until last week that anyone even noticed Indy.

Either way, hopefully the game lives up to the hype. No 2 teams have faced each other this late in the season undefeated. Why they made this a 4:15 game on Sunday, I don't know. I think if it had been a Monday (or even a Sunday) night game, it would have had the highest regular season game rating of any NFL game to date. At 4:15, many may not even see it.

WMR
10-29-2007, 01:11 AM
I'm definitely not a Colts fan, but I would LOVE to see the Colts win this one.

Highlifeman21
10-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Please let the Colts win this game so I have to stop hearing about how the 2007 Pats are the best team EVER.

When you live in West Hartford, you only hear about the Pats, the Giants, the Jefs and the Bills.

It's a 4 way losing situation.

WMR
10-29-2007, 01:12 AM
Wow I think giving the Pats four points is being way too disrespectful of the Colts... I bet that line will move quite a bit this week.

WMR
10-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Please let the Colts win this game so I have to stop hearing about how the 2007 Pats are the best team EVER.

When you live in West Hartford, you only hear about the Pats, the Giants, the Jefs and the Bills.

It's a 4 way losing situation.

That would drive me to move, I think.

Highlifeman21
10-29-2007, 01:17 AM
That would drive me to move, I think.

Unfortunately, I love my girlfriend to death and want to ask her to marry me (wish me luck), and she's really close to her family, so I feel that NE will remain in my future.

That only means that I will learn to hate the Pats, the Jets, the Giants and the Bills that much more. She's a huge huge Yankees fan, so I'll continue to root for the Red Sox when they play the Yankees.

I make it no secret that every week I openly root for a Tom Brady injury.

fearofpopvol1
10-29-2007, 01:20 AM
Unfortunately, I love my girlfriend to death and want to ask her to marry me (wish me luck), and she's really close to her family, so I feel that NE will remain in my future.

That only means that I will learn to hate the Pats, the Jets, the Giants and the Bills that much more. She's a huge huge Yankees fan, so I'll continue to root for the Red Sox when they play the Yankees.

I make it no secret that every week I openly root for a Tom Brady injury.

I can kind of sympathize. I live in NY and I HATE the sports biases out here. I'm living out here for work which is a different circumstance, but I can't stand the sports teams/media out here.

George Anderson
10-29-2007, 01:39 AM
Colts fan here but with the game being played in Foxborough, I am not real fond of our chances. Especially if Harrison Keiaho and Ugoh are still out.

fearofpopvol1
10-29-2007, 01:42 AM
Colts fan here but with the game being played in Foxborough, I am not real fond of our chances. Especially if Harrison Keiaho and Ugoh are still out.

The game is Indy, not Foxboro.

redsfanmia
10-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Marvin could have played if needed yesterday and I think Freddie and Tony should be able to play as well. I am a Colts fan and think that since the game is in Indy the Colts should be able to hold the Patriots (who I am being convinced by the national media is not only the greatest football team ever but is probably the greatest team in the history of team sports) under 50 but will not have enough firepower to win the game. I am being convinced the national media that if th Colts come within 21 points of the Pats it should be considered a moral victory and really all the Colts can hope for.

dougdirt
10-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I think the Pats are a very good team, but look at the teams they have played. They have played 1 good team all year, and it was a team from the NFC. The Colts are quite a bit better than anyone the Pats have played, have beaten them 3 times in a row, are playing at home as the undefeated Super Bowl champions.... I still can't believe they are an underdog in this game.
The Colts are going to win this game, not because of Peyton, but because of their defense.

joshnky
10-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I think the Pats are a very good team, but look at the teams they have played. They have played 1 good team all year, and it was a team from the NFC. The Colts are quite a bit better than anyone the Pats have played, have beaten them 3 times in a row, are playing at home as the undefeated Super Bowl champions.... I still can't believe they are an underdog in this game.
The Colts are going to win this game, not because of Peyton, but because of their defense.

The same could be said of the Colts. This year seems to be an odd year because we have two elite teams (maybe 3 if you count Dallas) and then 15 teams in the middle. I don't really think Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Tampa are better than San Diego, Dallas, and Cleveland. Of the two teams the Pats have the best victory (Dallas). It should be a good game but the odds makers are basing the line on the fact that NE destroyed Dallas (and everyone else) while Indy has not yet beaten a team of that caliber.

NJReds
10-30-2007, 12:02 PM
I would really enjoy the champagne-sipping Dophins crew raise a toast to a new undefeated team this year, but I can't stomach the Patriots. I really hope the Colts beat the daylights out of New England this week.

RedsManRick
10-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm going to say that Indy wins 38-35, largely on the strength of their running game. NE has gotten so far ahead so quickly that they haven't had to stop the run much. I think we'll see 2 or 3 turnovers on each side and generally a messier game than some might expect.

George Anderson
10-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I would really enjoy the champagne-sipping Dophins crew raise a toast to a new undefeated team this year, but I can't stomach the Patriots. I really hope the Colts beat the daylights out of New England this week.

I agree, I cant think of a team and coach I despise more than the Pats and Belicheck. The crap they did this past weekend by leaving Brady in the game to run up the score against the Redskins and Joe Gibbs was nauseating. I would never wish an injury on a player but had an injury happened to Brady in that game it would have been well deserved.

NJReds
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I would never wish an injury on a player but had an injury happened to Brady in that game it would have been well deserved.

I feel exactly the same way. Wait until they play the Jets again. They may score 100 points.

If there's such a thing as karma, then Matt Cassel will be their playoff QB.

joshnky
10-30-2007, 02:02 PM
IMO, the complaints of running up the score are ridiculous. This game is for the fans and the fans want to see points and the starters. Granted fans of the opposing team might not enjoy it much but they're not going to enjoy it regardless of whether or not the Pats bench the starters. We're not talking college, where one team is vastly superior to the other. This is the NFL with professional players and every team held to the same salary restrictions. If the Patriots want to give their fans a show then more power to them. Maybe Gibbs and the Redskins should have tried harder to stop them rather than giving up once the game got out of hand. It seems to me that the more shameful act is other teams rolling over and waving the white flag after the initial Patriots barrage.

As a Bengals fan, I know I would certainly enjoy it if the Bengals were performing similar to the Patriots and I would want to see the starters as long as possible.

NJReds
10-30-2007, 02:26 PM
As a Bengals fan, I know I would certainly enjoy it if the Bengals were performing similar to the Patriots and I would want to see the starters as long as possible.

Until your QB got hurt with a 40 point lead in the fourth quarter, and then the fans would want the coach fired.

In the pros, teams shouldn't complain about getting the score run up on them. And when teams pay Belicheck back sometime in the future, he should accept it as well.

dougdirt
10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
If I were an opposing player, I would have layed Brady out in the Redskins game. Late hit and all. I would have kept it upper body, but I certainly would have gotten my point across to the Pats and to Belichek.

People can say 'its your job to stop them' all you want, you know better. Up 38-0 and going for it on 4th down. Up 45-0 and going for it on 4th down.... The Patriots should thank the Redskins for keeping their cool, because I can't see too many other teams not taking a cheap shot at someone in that situation.

George Anderson
10-30-2007, 02:53 PM

As a Colts fan I would cringe if I saw Peyton Manning and the other starters still playing in a lopsided game. The game is won and is basically over and all your doing by leaving the starters in simply to humiliate your opponents.

joshnky
10-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Until your QB got hurt with a 40 point lead in the fourth quarter, and then the fans would want the coach fired.

In the pros, teams shouldn't complain about getting the score run up on them. And when teams pay Belicheck back sometime in the future, he should accept it as well.

But all the people that I hear complaining about this hate the Pats and wouldn't mind seeing Tom Brady get hurt. I'm just saying that the Pats are responsible for putting the best product on the field for their fans. Until I here a great outcry from Patriots fans about this, then I can't see any reason to complain about there performance.

What it comes down to is people hate Belicheck and will complain about everything from his sweatshirt to his sportsmanship.

And I agree, the Patriots should expect that teams will use this as motivation the next time they play. I don't think it will matter much but hopefully it will cause their opponents to play better and provide a better game.

joshnky
10-30-2007, 03:01 PM
As a Colts fan I would cringe if I saw Peyton Manning and the other starters still playing in a lopsided game. The game is won and is basically over and all your doing by leaving the starters in simply to humiliate your opponents.

I guess we'll disagree on this one.

NJReds
10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
But all the people that I hear complaining about this hate the Pats and wouldn't mind seeing Tom Brady get hurt. I'm just saying that the Pats are responsible for putting the best product on the field for their fans.

The fans want a championship. Putting your starting QB at risk with a 40 point lead is a risk I think most New England fans would prefer to avoid.

George Anderson
10-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm just saying that the Pats are responsible for putting the best product on the field for their fans.

What it comes down to is people hate Belicheck and will complain about everything from his sweatshirt to his sportsmanship.

The Pats responsibility to their fans is to win as many games as possible in the hopes of winning a championship. By doing insane and unsporting things like leaving your starters in to run up a score and embarrass an opponent does nothing but risk injury to your starters in the ultimate goal of winning a championship

I had alot of respect for Belicheck until the cheating scandal and now this classless display against the Redskins. The man is complete trash to me now.

dougdirt
10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
The Pats responsibility to their fans is to win as many games as possible in the hopes of winning a championship. By doing insane and unsporting things like leaving your starters in to run up a score and embarrass an opponent does nothing but risk injury to your starters in the ultimate goal of winning a championship

I had alot of respect for Belicheck until the cheating scandal and now this classless display against the Redskins. The man is complete trash to me now.

You had to wait until the Redskins game? How about taking Brady out up 42-14 on the Dolphins, Cassel comes in and throws a pick, then he puts Brady back in up 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, and Brady throws another TD pass? That was the end point for me.

NJReds
10-30-2007, 03:14 PM
You had to wait until the Redskins game? How about taking Brady out up 42-14 on the Dolphins, Cassel comes in and throws a pick, then he puts Brady back in up 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter, and Brady throws another TD pass? That was the end point for me.

And scoring a touchdown instead of taking a knee with fifteen seconds or so left in the game to turn a 41-27 lead into a 48-27 victory vs. the Cowboys. Although as a Cowboys fan I was disgusted with the way that they played in the second half and I wasn't that upset to see them humiliated a little bit.

dougdirt
10-30-2007, 03:18 PM
And scoring a touchdown instead of taking a knee with fifteen seconds or so left in the game to turn a 41-27 lead into a 48-27 victory vs. the Cowboys. Although as a Cowboys fan I was disgusted with the way that they played in the second half and I wasn't that upset to see them humiliated a little bit.

That was at least a run though, wasnt it?

NJReds
10-30-2007, 03:20 PM
That was at least a run though, wasnt it?

True. They could have just taken a knee like most teams do and run the clock out. But yes, it was a run. And I didn't really care, because a loss is a loss.

In retrospect, the Cowboys actually holding a 3rd quarter lead in that game was an accomplishment.

joshnky
10-30-2007, 03:24 PM
The hypocrisy is ridiculous:

2004:

Colts up 41-14 over Houston and Peyton comes back in with 7 minutes left and throws twice on the drive.

2005:

The Colts are up 28-3 in the 4th quarter against Tennessee and Peyton comes back out

2006:

The Colts are up 37-17 with 5 minutes left against Houston and Peyton comes back out and throws a 27 yard pass to Reggie Wayne.

The Colts are up 33-14 against Washington with 10 minutes left and Peyton comes back out and throws 3 times for 27 yards on a field goal drive.

I will say that Dungy was more inclined to put Sorgi in earlier than Belicheck but no one was complaining about the Colts in these games. The difference is that people like Peyton and Dungy and also that the Colts had a running game they could lean on to run out the clock. The Patriots have had a difficult time just keeping their running backs healthy.

dougdirt
10-30-2007, 03:30 PM

2004:

Colts up 41-14 over Houston and Peyton comes back in with 7 minutes left and throws twice on the drive.

2005:

The Colts are up 28-3 in the 4th quarter against Tennessee and Peyton comes back out

2006:

The Colts are up 37-17 with 5 minutes left against Houston and Peyton comes back out and throws a 27 yard pass to Reggie Wayne.

The Colts are up 33-14 against Washington with 10 minutes left and Peyton comes back out and throws 3 times for 27 yards on a field goal drive.

I will say that Dungy was more inclined to put Sorgi in earlier than Belicheck but no one was complaining about the Colts in these games. The difference is that people like Peyton and Dungy and also that the Colts had a running game they could lean on to run out the clock. The Patriots have had a difficult time just keeping their running backs healthy.

The Patriots were up 6 and 7 scores and went for it on 4th down.... twice. Its not exactly like throwing 3 times on a drive for 9 yards a pass. Also, the context of the plays you mention is not mentioned. The 27 yard pass, was it on a third down? How many yards to go? If it was on first down, then yes, thats poor taste. If it were on 3rd and 9, then no, its not really that bad. Get the first down and kill the game.

WMR
10-30-2007, 03:31 PM

2004:

2005:

2006:

At least you've got a college basketball coach to root for who shares your philosophy. ;)

RedsManRick
10-30-2007, 03:39 PM
It's one thing to complain about running up the score in college football when teams are potentially on vastly different levels. In some cases, there is absolutely no reasonable expectation that one team should be able to compete with another. At the professional level, the playing fields are all even enough as to make this scenario moot.

It's the pros. I agree that it's pretty stupid of Belicheck to expose his starters to injury when the game is well in hand. However, I will never fault a professional sports team for playing the duration of the contest against an opponent. If you're down 38-0 in the 3rd quarter, I'd say you should already be humiliated at that point.

What is more embarrassing? Having an opponent continue to drill you in the ground when the game is already decided or being on the wrong end of a game in which the outcome was decided with a quarter and a half yet to play?

I do agree with the latter suggestion. Like a pitcher bringing it high and tight against a guy who posed after a homer, hit Brady hard but legally. No cheap shots of course, but drive home the point that it might not be worth the risk if he wants to continue playing at 100% effort with the outcome already decided.

As for going for it on 4th and 2. Is kicking the field goal and putting more points on the board really more considerate than a QB sneak which gives the opponent a chance to get a turnover on downs?

Matt700wlw
10-30-2007, 04:00 PM
If the Skins don't like it....stop them.

klw
10-30-2007, 10:44 PM
Could the high scores be a reaction to the Pats blowing an 18 point lead in January?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20070121011

MWM
10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
I think the Patriots are going to demolish the Colts. Whether you're tired of hearing it or not, this year's Patriots team is as good a team as the NFL has seen in a LONG time - maybe 1985.

Patrick Bateman
10-31-2007, 02:04 AM
I think the Patriots are going to demolish the Colts. Whether you're tired of hearing it or not, this year's Patriots team is as good a team as the NFL has seen in a LONG time - maybe 1985.

I basically agree with that. I think the Colts will make it entertaining, but I think the Pats are basically unstoppable. Definitely the best team I have seen since I started watching football. And I'll note that I'm a pretty big Colts fan.

NJReds
10-31-2007, 09:18 AM

I think that this year's Pats are the best team that I've seen since the 1984 SF 49'ers.

fearofpopvol1
10-31-2007, 01:58 PM
From ESPN.com...

So it's finally here. No. 1 Pats vs. No. 2 Colts. Will the Pats win Sunday's showdown and continue to reign atop the Power Rankings? Or will the Colts win to force a change (we presume) at the top next week?

Up to this point, it's easy to pinpoint which team has been more impressive. Or is it?

Yes, the Patriots are obliterating opponents, winning by an average margin of 25.5 points. Yes, they're on so many record paces that we can't keep up with them all. Yes, we could be watching the greatest single-season performance in the history of the NFL.

But consider what the Colts have done. They've won all seven of their games -- against statistically better opposition than the Pats -- despite their all-time leading receiver, Marvin Harrison, scoring just one touchdown. Who would've predicted that going into this season?

Harrison has missed two games with a bruised left knee and hasn't produced that low a TD total in the first seven games since his rookie season in 1996. But Reggie Wayne, who is averaging only two fewer receiving yards a game than Randy Moss this season, has picked up the slack.

While it's hard to ignore what Tom Brady & Co. have done through the air, they've also done it against some of the worst pass defenses in the league (five of their opponents currently rank in the bottom seven in the league in passing yards allowed, albeit thanks in part to getting shelled by the Pats).

So should we be dazzled by the gaudy numbers the Pats are putting up, or should we appreciate the grittiness displayed by the Colts? Of course, we can do both -- and then wait for Sunday's outcome to tell us which one should have more influence on the Rankings.

blumj
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/31/AR2007103102746.html

redsfanmia
11-01-2007, 02:17 PM

Not only in the NFL but in the history of team sports the greatest ever hands down. I dont even think you could take the other 31 teams and collectively pick the best players off of each team and then have a training camp and say 10 games together and even come within 21 points of the greatness that is the Patriots. If the Colts manage to hold them under 60 points I would be surprised.

blumj
11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/071101&sportCat=nfl
DJ Gallo is pretty funny.

kbrake
11-02-2007, 01:50 PM
Patriots by at least 2 touchdowns.

dougdirt
11-02-2007, 03:04 PM

At least?!

I would be less surprised by the Bengals winning by 2 touchdowns this weekend than the Patriots beating the Colts by 2 touchdowns.

redsfanmia
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM

You do know where the game is being played right?

Matt700wlw
11-02-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm going to Indy. Unfortunately, not to the game...but I'll be in downtown Indy, at a bar, watching the game, soaking up the atmosphere.

Something different! Should be fun!

Hopefully the Bengals can make the drive there interesting, and the early moments of my visit interesting as well!

redsfanmia
11-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm going to Indy. Unfortunately, not to the game...but I'll be in downtown Indy, at a bar, watching the game, soaking up the atmosphere.

Something different! Should be fun!

Hopefully the Bengals can make the drive there interesting, and the early moments of my visit interesting as well!

Which bar Matt? I recommend Champs

kbrake
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM
You do know where the game is being played right?

Patriots:
Better coach: check
Better QB: check
Better D: check

This is the best team the NFL has seen in a very long time. Combine the team with the most talent, the best coach, and a chip on their shoulders and you get lots of domination. I dont care where the game is being played. Patriots will rock the Colts.

dougdirt
11-02-2007, 04:05 PM
I think the quarterbacks are a toss up. I think the Colts have the better defense. Patriots have a better QB. Wee will see Sunday around 7:30 who the better team was that day.

Matt700wlw
11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Which bar Matt? I recommend Champs

I can't remember off the top of my head...I'll have to double check

redsfanmia
11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
Patriots:
Better coach: check
Better QB: check
Better D: check

This is the best team the NFL has seen in a very long time. Combine the team with the most talent, the best coach, and a chip on their shoulders and you get lots of domination. I dont care where the game is being played. Patriots will rock the Colts.

Do you watch the games? The Colts have a better defense, the coaches and quarterback are a toss up.

Matt700wlw
11-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Patriots just placed RB Sammy Morris on IR (ESPN News)

blumj
11-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Both teams have great coaches and QBs, and both seem to have plenty of talent and very good defenses.

MWM
11-02-2007, 05:21 PM
As much as i think the Pats are going to roll the Colts this game, I still think, all things being equal, Peyton Manning is the better QB. The Pats are still be the better team, but QB is the one area, other than RB, where I think the Colts are better. Brady great, but I think Peyton is better, given exactly similar circumstances.

kbrake
11-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Do you watch the games? The Colts have a better defense, the coaches and quarterback are a toss up.

Tony Dungy isnt even close to being on the same level.

redsfanmia
11-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Tony Dungy isnt even close to being on the same level.
Not sure if this includes this season.
Records for both coaches:
Bill Belichick 119-81 regular season 13-3 post season

Tony Dungy 121-62 regular season 9-8 post season

I would say thats pretty close.

fearofpopvol1
11-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Not only in the NFL but in the history of team sports the greatest ever hands down. I dont even think you could take the other 31 teams and collectively pick the best players off of each team and then have a training camp and say 10 games together and even come within 21 points of the greatness that is the Patriots. If the Colts manage to hold them under 60 points I would be surprised.

:bowrofl:

The Patriots have played 8 games so far. If they run the table and go 19-0, fine, I'd give you that. But c'mon, those are some ridiculous statements (especially given the level of competition they've faced) after the season is only halfway over with.

redsfanmia
11-03-2007, 05:13 AM
:bowrofl:

The Patriots have played 8 games so far. If they run the table and go 19-0, fine, I'd give you that. But c'mon, those are some ridiculous statements (especially given the level of competition they've faced) after the season is only halfway over with.

Sarcasm, Im a Colts fan and that my take of how the network is portraying the Pats.

WMR
11-03-2007, 06:57 AM
Has the line moved at all?

George Anderson
11-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Sarcasm, Im a Colts fan and that my take of how the network is portraying the Pats.

Cris Collinsworth on HBO last night stated the even though its only week 9 the Pats are the best team in NFL history . :rolleyes:

fearofpopvol1
11-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Oh ok...my apologies then. I didn't pick up on that.

blumj
11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/10/30/ramblings/dvoa-ratings/5681/
It's goofy, but it actually might be true, at least through 8 weeks and if you buy Football Outsiders methods. Of course, if it is true, the Colts right now would be the 2nd best team of all time, at least relative to the rest of the competition in the NFL right now. Parity does not really appear to be working, at least not in the AFC.

Razor Shines
11-03-2007, 02:04 PM
If I were an opposing player, I would have layed Brady out in the Redskins game. Late hit and all. I would have kept it upper body, but I certainly would have gotten my point across to the Pats and to Belichek.

People can say 'its your job to stop them' all you want, you know better. Up 38-0 and going for it on 4th down. Up 45-0 and going for it on 4th down.... The Patriots should thank the Redskins for keeping their cool, because I can't see too many other teams not taking a cheap shot at someone in that situation.

I have generally been on the side of not caring that the Pats "run up the score", but I was listening to the radio yesterday and I heard something that I hadn't really thought of. When the game is pretty much no longer in doubt most teams that are losing by a lot change their defenses a little bit. They stop blitzing and don't rush the QB as hard as they would in a close game.

I wonder why more teams don't just blitz everybody late in the game against the Pats? If you're going to lose anyway and the Pats are out there going converting 4th downs when they're up by 3 or 4 TDs in the 4th quarter, who cares if you leave somebody open and get burned? Send everybody and make sure Brady gets put on his butt every time he drops back to pass. I wouldn't suggest anything dirty but a late hit now and then wouldn't be a horrible thing.

MWM
11-03-2007, 02:24 PM
This Pats team is the best I've seen in a long time, but they're not the best team in NFL history. The offense just isn't balanced enough and the defense has yet to be tested, other than Dallas.

I think the '85 Bears were a better team. I think the '89 49ers were better. There's probably a few others as well.

One thing to consider is that this is the age of parity. There just isn't a lot of really good teams in the NFL right now.

redsfanmia
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Good game,a little sloppy. Its going to be fun when/if they meet in the playoffs. I think these two teams are very evenly matched.

dougdirt
11-04-2007, 07:24 PM
That one hurt my feelings because of how much I can't stand the Partiots. I shouldn't have expected anything else with the way today has gone.

MWM
11-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Colts really blew it. They had the Pats 2nd and goal at about the 20 yard line and gave up a TD.

Tom Brady is becoming very dependent on Moss. He just throws it up there and Moss catches it. I fear that he getting hurt would make a huge impact on the Pats offense.

Colts have no one to blame but themselves here. They let down in the 4th quarter.

redsfanmia
11-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Colts really blew it. They had the Pats 2nd and goal at about the 20 yard line and gave up a TD.

Tom Brady is becoming very dependent on Moss. He just throws it up there and Moss catches it. I fear that he getting hurt would make a huge impact on the Pats offense.

Colts have no one to blame but themselves here. They let down in the 4th quarter.

The Colts ran out of steam on defense and their offense really let them down in the 4th quarter. The really let the Pats off the hook. After watching this game I dont think anyone can say the Pats are head and shoulders above the Colts though.

Reds4Life
11-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Hear that?

That is the sound of Manning choking. Pats might end up 16-0 this year.

redsfanmia
11-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Hear that?

That is the sound of Manning choking. Pats might end up 16-0 this year.

How did he choke?

joshnky
11-04-2007, 07:59 PM
How did he choke?

You've got to protect the ball and take the sack on that final drive. That is a play I would expect out of a rookie QB trying to do too much not Peyton.

dougdirt
11-04-2007, 08:13 PM
You've got to protect the ball and take the sack on that final drive. That is a play I would expect out of a rookie QB trying to do too much not Peyton.

He also should not have been in that situation. If the line did their job, it wouldn't be up for discussion.... You are just being silly now with the whole 'Peyton choked' thing.

joshnky
11-04-2007, 08:17 PM
He also should not have been in that situation. If the line did their job, it wouldn't be up for discussion.... You are just being silly now with the whole 'Peyton choked' thing.

Read the thread. I didn't say he choked. I just pointed out the event Reds4Life was referring to.

I love all of you Colts fans. For the past few weeks you've ripped the Patriots and said "lets wait till they play Indy." Now they played Indy and won but it wasn't that the Patriots are a great team but that the Colts gave it away or got tired.

I saw two great teams match up and one made the plays in the 4th quarter while the other failed to stop them or respond. The Colts probably have their best team in years and one of their best ever but they didn't have enough to be an even greater team that should go undefeated.

MaineRed
11-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Wow I think giving the Pats four points is being way too disrespectful of the Colts... I bet that line will move quite a bit this week.

Oddmakers in Vegas are not out to be respectful. And even though they ended up being wrong, the betting public disagreed with you and jumped all over the Pats which drove the line up. Was 6.5 at game time. If you took the Colts are 4 you made a mistake and did not win any money.

BTW, the oddmakers were dead on when they set the line at 4 even though that was not their intention. They want equal money on both sides. They aren't in the business of guessing what the final margin will be.

MaineRed
11-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Read the thread. I didn't say he choked. I just pointed out the event Reds4Life was referring to.

I love all of you Colts fans. For the past few weeks you've ripped the Patriots and said "lets wait till they play Indy." Now they played Indy and won but it wasn't that the Patriots are a great team but that the Colts gave it away or got tired.

People would rather suggest gutless acts like "taking Brady's head off" rather than give credit where credit is due.

The response to a classless act is to encourage more classless acts? You feel like you've been dissed so you start to roll heads?

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Belichick feels a though he has been dissed. He is sick of people, such as the people on this boad who would rather complain about his hoodie than give his team credit. So he is out to roll heads.

What I don't get is why the world is OK for you guys to have these emotions but not Bill? He is supposed to have soft heart because he coaches football, one of the most violent games known to man? But you guys can suggest somene knock out Tom Brady? Why is OK for you to suggest a knockout of Brady but BB can't try to knockout these teams who are trying to knock out Brady?

You want the definition of bias? Spend some time on this board. You'll see plenty.

Screwball
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
You want the definition of bias? Spend some time on this board. You'll see plenty.

Good Lord, man. If you hate this board so much, why do you bother to take the time to read and post on it?

blumj
11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
It was sloppy at times, but this game lived up to the hype in it's competitiveness, because these 2 teams that dominate everyone else are good enough to make each other LOOK like everyone else. There were dozens of plays that could have changed the outcome, I don't know how you pick just one and say THAT was the one that determined it, just like the AFCCG last year.

George Anderson
11-04-2007, 09:53 PM
The Pats won, give them credit. These two teams will likely meet again and it probally will be in Foxborough. The difference though next time hopefully will be the Colts will be at full strength and not having Harrison and Ugoh on the sidelines.

Chip R
11-04-2007, 09:59 PM
Good Lord, man. If you hate this board so much, why do you bother to take the time to read and post on it?

My thoughts exactly. Come on here every couple of weeks and try to start something then leave. Maine, if you don't like this board, if you don't like the people here, if you just want to start trouble, just leave before you are asked to.

George Anderson
11-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Belichick feels a though he has been dissed. He is sick of people, such as the people on this boad who would rather complain about his hoodie than give his team credit.

I guess poor Bill getting caught cheating was an form of outcry from people on internet message boards dissing him for wearing his hoodie??? :rolleyes:

Matt700wlw
11-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Great game and a great time in Indy!

There's a town that does it right.

It was a great atmosphere...with some great fans. Real NFL Football is quite fun!!

redsfanmia
11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Great game and a great time in Indy!

There's a town that does it right.

It was a great atmosphere...with some great fans. Real NFL Football is quite fun!!

Where did you end up going Matt?

Matt700wlw
11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Where did you end up going Matt?

Outskirts of town actually....went to the Blue Crew.

What an atmosphere! What a scene! I can't imagine how crazy it gets during road games

redsfanmia
11-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Outskirts of town actually....went to the Blue Crew.

What an atmosphere! What a scene! I can't imagine how crazy it gets during road games

Thats a nice place. Its actually the hangout for the fan club which im sure you figured out. Everyone loves a winner here in Indy. I just wonder what percentage of fans remember the first few Mike Pagel, Ray Butler, Gary Padgett lead teams when the Colts first came here.

kbrake
11-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I was wrong about this game for sure. Really thought the Pats would dominate. I dont buy into the Colts let it get away or any of that. I think the better team won, but I really thought the Colts wouldnt even be able to hang with them. Joseph Addai is incredible. Think Harrison and Gonzalez being healthy would help things out for them but not enough to make up for the next game being in the cold at New England. Pats have a real solid chance of going 16-0.

redsfanmia
11-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I was wrong about this game for sure. Really thought the Pats would dominate. I dont buy into the Colts let it get away or any of that. I think the better team won, but I really thought the Colts wouldnt even be able to hang with them. Joseph Addai is incredible. Think Harrison and Gonzalez being healthy would help things out for them but not enough to make up for the next game being in the cold at New England. Pats have a real solid chance of going 16-0.

With the Colts fast Defense and a more power running game I dont think the Colts will have much problems playing in the cold. The problem will be gaurding Randy Moss. If they meet again in the AFC championship game it will be one for the ages.