PDA

View Full Version : Should Reds pursue Schilling or Glavine

ChatterRed
10-29-2007, 08:09 AM
Would you spend $10 million for each?

I would sign Schilling to a 2-year deal at $10 million per season. And I'd sign Glavine for 1 year at $10 million. It would solidy the rotation - Harang, Arroyo, Schilling, Glavine, Bailey and give Homer some veteran teachers to influence him and also give Cueto another year of development in the minors with Glavine signing a 1 year deal.

Just a crazy thought.

But we need a closer too.

HokieRed
10-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Neither one is coming to Cincinnati. Look for them to go to bigger ballparks and teams perceived to be closer to contention than the Reds.

as_v_1
10-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Yea these guys are close to being done. It would make sense they would only want to play for a contender.

Stephenk29
10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Yea these guys are close to being done. It would make sense they would only want to play for a contender.

I can't see them even entertaining a Reds offer.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2007, 10:58 AM
haha good joke...

seriously why does cueto need another year of developement but bailey is ready? I think it is the other way around...

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Bailey spent some time in Cincinnati, and Cueto only reached AAA. They both need another year of development if not 2 however.

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2007, 11:40 AM
yes, but cueto did not miss serious time with an injury and therefore has more experience, albeit at lower levels...

mound_patrol
10-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I think Cueto is more refined at this point then Bailey and could be more effective next year than Bailey. As for the topic of this thread I think it would be smart for the Reds to go after Schilling with everything they have for a one year deal. But for him to seriously consider the reds we better be willing to go way over and beyond the other bets.

mroby85
10-29-2007, 02:50 PM
when did cincinnati become such a crappy place to play? it's a team thats rich with tradition, and has great fans. If Schilling doesn't want to come here, then screw him.

as_v_1
10-29-2007, 03:08 PM
when did Cincinnati become such a crappy place to play? it's a team thats rich with tradition, and has great fans. If Schilling doesn't want to come here, then screw him.

Tradition doesn't equal wins on the field; a problem the reds have had for awhile now. Guys like Schilling aren't coming to a team thats rebuilding. They wanna pitch for teams that are going to be playing in October.

mroby85
10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
this team isn't far from playing in october, in my opinion. maybe i'm just a homer, but i think things are looking up.

mound_patrol
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM
when did cincinnati become such a crappy place to play? it's a team thats rich with tradition, and has great fans. If Schilling doesn't want to come here, then screw him.

It's a crappy place to play because they don't win. The fans haven't been around for a while now because they haven't been winning. And on top of that this place is a tough place to be as a pitcher.

mroby85
10-29-2007, 03:34 PM
harang doesn't seem to have problems, they just haven't had good pitchers in this stadium.

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Nothing has changed - he'd still like a one-year deal from the Red Sox but failing that he wants to join a winner or play for a team with young pitchers to tutor. He mentions that "dollars will be a significant factor" if he leaves Boston.

We might be able to land Schilling but we would have to pay to do it.

Bip Roberts
10-29-2007, 04:26 PM
yes no doubt about it

GoReds33
10-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Ten million for a guy like Schilling would be a good deal. I don't think we need Glavine though. He's going back to Atlanta anyway.

Stephenk29
10-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Someone on the boards mentioned that saying you have a team with a good tradition is the same as living in the past. I think our fan base is pretty weak right now too. Small market clubs only get large numbers of fans when their winning. We're still a few years from winning.

Now Boston has good fans. If you've ever been to Fenway you know what I mean; completely nuts.

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
It is likely Schilling will sign a 1 year deal with Boston, as he likes it there. If he plays anywhere else, I will imagine it would cost 12-14 million to sign him.

BEETTLEBUG
10-29-2007, 10:48 PM
I heard Phillies if not Boston.

Will M
10-29-2007, 10:53 PM
It is likely Schilling will sign a 1 year deal with Boston, as he likes it there. If he plays anywhere else, I will imagine it would cost 12-14 million to sign him.

Deal!

The Reds should outbid all other clubs by $3-5M for a one year deal and roll out the red carpet. He is exactly what the team needs: a pitcher to slot in the #2 slot who won't cost us anything but cash and is on a short term deal.

Blue
10-29-2007, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't want to sign a Type A free agent unless they were coming here for several years.

HokieRed
10-29-2007, 11:24 PM
Schilling's been a great pitcher, so has Glavine, but there's danger here: paying very top dollars for guys with declining stuff, rapidly declining stuff it seems to me from watching them late in the season. I think both will make the sensible choice to go places where the ballpark helps their stuff, and that's not GABP.

mroby85
10-30-2007, 12:45 AM
I don't agree with the idea that the reds have a weak fan base. Sure Boston is a crazier environment right now, but they have a lot more reason to be. The reds fans are there, they just have to be given something to cheer about.

SMcGavin
10-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I wouldn't want to sign a Type A free agent unless they were coming here for several years.

Didn't think about that... but aren't the top 15 draft picks protected? Would that mean we give up a 2nd round pick instead?

I think a guy with a 1-2 year contract is perfect for the Reds to bridge the gap until the kids are ready. Realistically though I can't see Schilling or Glavine coming here.

nyjwagner
10-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Schilling isnt coming anywhere without at least 10 microphones, and 10 TV cameras....

Glavine isn't going anywhere not with 20 miles of his home (and his wife) in Atlanta.

BLEEDS
10-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Schilling's been a great pitcher, so has Glavine, but there's danger here: paying very top dollars for guys with declining stuff, rapidly declining stuff it seems to me from watching them late in the season. I think both will make the sensible choice to go places where the ballpark helps their stuff, and that's not GABP.

Exactly. Schillings fastball tops out at about 87 these days. GABP is not the place for him.

Let him get $14M in Tampa to tutor their young kids.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Bip Roberts
10-30-2007, 07:24 PM
if schilling takes a 1 year deal I really couldn't care less what he made

NorrisHopper30
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3086804

How dare Curt make this announcement right in the middle of A-Rod's search for a new team?

I'll take Curt for 15 million if it's only a one year deal..

gedred69
10-30-2007, 08:26 PM
if schilling takes a 1 year deal I really couldn't care less what he made

Amen! How would this be for a Homer Bailey to sit beside a guy like Schilling. Or for Burton, Coutlangus, Salmon, Belisle? Jeez, maybe even Coff-it-up--er, I mean Coffey? Pay him whatever for one year. Besides, this team is closer than some give it credit for being.

NorrisHopper30
10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Amen! How would this be for a Homer Bailey to sit beside a guy like Schilling. Or for Burton, Coutlangus, Salmon, Belisle? Jeez, maybe even Coff-it-up--er, I mean Coffey? Pay him whatever for one year. Besides, this team is closer than some give it credit for being.

I agree 100%, this team lacks a solid veteran. I understand Harang can be considered a veteran, but even he is still young. It'd be nice to get in a guy that gets a lot of media attention and has been through EVERYTHING and has a few rings.

It'd be a great move if we could somehow get him to come here.

AmarilloRed
10-30-2007, 10:45 PM
I heard that Curt Schilling is only going to play 1 more year before retirement. He prefers to play in Boston, but there is a chance he might play somewhere else.

Stephenk29
10-30-2007, 11:21 PM
From MLBtrade rumors. Sorry reds fans.
Interesting. After Boston, Curt Schilling has 12 teams he'd consider pitching for in 2008. Here they are:

Indians
Tigers
Angels
Mets
Phillies
Braves
Dodgers
Padres
Diamondbacks
Cubs
Cardinals
Brewers

Schilling had talked about the idea of going somewhere he could tutor young pitchers, like Tampa Bay. But it sounds like that idea is out and he wants to play for a contender. Not that the Rays can't contend in '08. I'm curious as to why the White Sox and Rockies were excluded, but who knows.

That's a nice extensive list, so it should be fun if Boston passes.

Old NDN
10-30-2007, 11:24 PM
No.

Hey Meat
10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
I knew he wouldn't want to pitch at GABP.

StrikeIndicator
10-31-2007, 10:52 PM

I do not think that it is a knock on Cinci, but instead a reflection of GABP being a hitters park and the fact that he only has one or two seasons left in his arm.