PDA

View Full Version : Girardi to manage Yanks

WMR
10-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I think this is a poor decision by the Steinbrenner boys.

Especially bad decision considering how Girardi treated his vets at Florida.

Bip Roberts
10-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I think this is a poor decision by the Steinbrenner boys.

Especially bad decision considering how Girardi treated his vets at Florida.

I wasnt aware he had any

Stephenk29
10-29-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm not convinced on Girardi. Someone once pointed out to me that he was in an easy situation in Florida. If they won, he's great but if they lose, that's what every one expected. I wonder how the New Yorkers will treat him. I think his pressure will be much higher than Torre's.

AmarilloRed
10-29-2007, 07:23 PM
What was wrong with Don Mattingly?

mroby85
10-29-2007, 07:24 PM
not surprised at all.

TeamSelig
10-29-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't think it is that bad of a choice.

His main problem was with owners/upper management/etc. and that is a non issue with Steinbrenners involved. No way does he have the you know what to 'back talk' good ole George.

as_v_1
10-29-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't think it is that bad of a choice.

His main problem was with owners/upper management/etc. and that is a non issue with Steinbrenners involved. No way does he have the you know what to 'back talk' good ole George.

If he can manage to have a good working relationship with the owners I think he will work out ok. Thats a big if thou, Florida isn't anything like New York, so it could just as easily blow up. Makes for good drama for an interesting 2008 season.

BEETTLEBUG
10-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Will Paul O'Neill be his bench coach?

AmarilloRed
10-30-2007, 03:09 AM
So now we know both Torre and Mattingly will be heading to LA. It may very well be that the Steinbrenners have made a mistake by creating an alternative to NY. It will be interesting to see if any of the Yankee free agents head to the the new NY in the West(LA).

WMR
10-30-2007, 04:32 AM
How crazy/funny would it be if they signed all 4? (Pay-Rod, Rivera, Posada, and Pettite)

TexRed
10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Girardi calls his shots as he sees them. It doesn't matter if you are a veteran or not. If you don't hustle or do it right, he lets you know. He is very strong in player development. He lost his Florida job because he told Loria to keep his mouth shut. He establishes clear goals and makes his expectations know. What more could any player ask for?

*BaseClogger*
10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
gee, tough situation for Girardi, having to work with a $200 million payroll... :rolleyes:

nyjwagner
10-30-2007, 12:02 PM
In NY there won't be an owner sitting in the stands yelling at the umpire... in fact there might not be an owner at the game, so disagreements can remain private, even with all the extra scrutiny. The problem will come from the writers who are used to access, and Girardi won't give them as much... and he will read the papers and give them less for writing poorly about him. This is one city where the press really skews how the public sees the team... that will be Girardi's landmine here.

He may have a $200million payroll, but you are also following a guy who had that who got fired for not getting far enough into the playoffs. Thats a bit of pressure. Mattingly doesn't know it, but he is lucky.

Mutaman
10-31-2007, 12:40 AM
As an avowed Yankee hater, this move really scares me. Add a manager who is young, hungry, talented and knows how to win, to all of that talent and all those resourses, well its not a pretty picture. This is the smartest move the Yankees have made in a long time. This organization needed a kick in the butt and Girardi will give it to them.

jimbo
10-31-2007, 01:42 AM
Add a manager who is young, hungry, talented and knows how to win.......

I keep hearing these types of comments about Girardi, but am confused on where it's coming from. He's only managed one season and had a losing record. How does that equate to he "knows how to win?"

I see it as a mistake, but only time will tell.

Bip Roberts
10-31-2007, 02:02 AM
I keep hearing these types of comments about Girardi, but am confused on where it's coming from. He's only managed one season and had a losing record. How does that equate to he "knows how to win?"

World Series champion in 1996, 1998, 1999 is probably a good reason to think he knows how to win

jimbo
10-31-2007, 04:10 AM
World Series champion in 1996, 1998, 1999 is probably a good reason to think he knows how to win

Knowing how to win as a player does not always equate to knowing how to win as a manager. Bob Boone won a World Series too.

Fact is that he's only managed one season and it was a losing one. There are still a lot of unknowns as far as how good of a manager he really is.

Bip Roberts
10-31-2007, 09:08 AM
Knowing how to win as a player does not always equate to knowing how to win as a manager. Bob Boone won a World Series too.

Fact is that he's only managed one season and it was a losing one. There are still a lot of unknowns as far as how good of a manager he really is.

Yea im not saying I agree with it but thats a decent start

Mutaman
10-31-2007, 12:09 PM

HE HAS NEVER BEEN AN ORDINARY JOE
By MIKE VACCARO

October 30, 2007 -- IF there is one thing we know for sure about the man who will likely soon be the new manager of the Yankees, it is this: He will never be overwhelmed by the job, by the tasks inherent to the office, to the expectations that attach themselves like barnacles to every day at the office. There will never be a moment when Joe Girardi questions his capacity to hold the office.

I am reminded of the first time I ever spoke to Girardi one-on-one, late in the spring of his first year as a Yankees catcher. Here is an excerpt of that conversation of June 13, 1996:

"I knew this would be a tough situation to come into. I knew it would be hard to replace a guy the fans really loved, somebody the team really rallied around. But I knew I couldn't be [that guy]. I had to be me. I had to trust that would be enough."

At the time, the man in the brackets was named Mike Stanley, and he'd been an incredibly popular member of the Buck Showalter Yankees, the Renaissance Yankees, the Yankees history now tells us were a crucial bridge from the woeful dark ages of the late '80s and early '90s to the dynasty Yankees of the late '90s.

Right now, there are millions of Yankees fans who, because of either youth or bandwagon status, couldn't pick Mike Stanley out of a police lineup. But in the fall of 1995, when the Yankees decided to let Stanley sign with the Red Sox as a free agent, there were an awful lot of Yankees fans ready to storm the moat at Yankee Stadium.

When it was announced who Stanley's replacement would be, the gales of protest were broken up only by the occasional barbs of pointed satire. One radio host re-did the old ditty about the Yankee Clipper and redubbed the new hero "Joltin' Joe Girardi-o."

Opening Day that year was the worst. As thick snowflakes tumbled from the sky, thicker torrents of anger spilled from the upper deck, especially when Girardi struck out looking with the bases loaded. He did throw out two base runners that day, but the Yankee populace, brainwashed by a winter of frantic propaganda, didn't notice.

Stanley was gone. Girardi was here. How could that possibly be good news?

By June, of course, Yankees fans had long changed their tune. And by the time two weeks ago when it was clear Joe Torre was about to become an ex-manager, Girardi had long since done a 180 in the eyes of most of them.

People revere Don Mattingly.

But as time went on, it was clear if Mattingly was going to get the job, it would be only to satisfy some lingering yearning for all the things Mattingly missed out on during his ill-fated terms with the Yankees. And it really is staggering to think about: In the 17 years including1983-95 and 2004-2007, the Yankees played in zero World Series. In the eight years from 1996-2003, they played in six. That's a horrible baseball injustice.

But was it enough to make Mattingly a manager before he was ready? Was it enough to let the first game Mattingly ever managed anywhere be as a Yankee in 2008? At some point, sentiment has to be replaced with sense. Bypassing Mattingly may not be fair. But it is right.

Now, there are things we don't know about Joe Girardi. We don't know how he will handle the daily scrums with the media, a task Joe Torre performed with masterful craftsmanship. We don't know how he will react the first time the Yankees go into a losing streak, prompting boos when he walks from the dugout to remove Joba Chamberlain from a game.

We don't know how he will interact with the veterans in the Yankees clubhouse - assuming there are any veterans left in the Yankees clubhouse by the time the great autumn purge is done - especially the ones who used to be his teammates. This is no lock, by any stretch.

But, then, neither was Joe Torre. Neither was Casey Stengel. You hire the best man for the job and you hope that translates into what's best for both the man and the job. That should be the case here. We'll know for sure this time next year.

michael.vaccaro@nypost.com

Mutaman
11-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I know the Yankees bought the pennant and anybody could have won with them (not), but as I said when Joe was hired: "As an avowed Yankee hater, this move really scares me."

Girardi is a winner.

NorrisHopper30
11-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Brought this one back from the grave, did we now?

goreds2
11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Brought this one back from the grave, did we now?

It is interesting to see what people said after the hire.

Aenrild
11-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Marte had a bad ERA because he got rocked in a couple specific games in which Girardi left him out there and abused his arm for like 40-50 pitches. Take those games out of the equation and he has a good era and did a good job for the yankees over those last two months.