PDA

View Full Version : Torre to manage Dodgers

Krawhitham
10-30-2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071029/SPORTS01/710290436

The Los Angeles Dodgers have decided to fire manager Grady Little and replace him with former Yankees manager Joe Torre, The Journal News has learned.

Torre, 67, could be named manager as soon as tomorrow, according to two sources close to the situation. Don Mattingly is expected to accompany Torre to Los Angeles as his bench coach. Torre is also interested in hiring Kevin Long, his hitting coach with the Yankees.

The Dodgers were 82-80 this season under Little and were beset by clubhouse unrest. Owner Frank McCourt, a Boston native, decided Torre is best suited to quell that situation.

Torre turned down a one-year offer to remain as manager of the Yankees on Oct. 18. He had been with the Yankees 12 seasons, winning four World Series championships.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071029/SPORTS01/710290436

mroby85
10-30-2007, 12:43 AM
wow, wonder if a-rod will follow?

AmarilloRed
10-30-2007, 02:11 AM
A lot of the Yankee free agents might follow.

*BaseClogger*
10-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Now we see how good of a manager Torre really is... of course he left the biggest market for the second biggest market...

AmarilloRed
10-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Torre said last night on Letterman that he is not the manager yet, but that he is still talking. Sounds like a deal will happen, but it has not happened yet.

as_v_1
10-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Its gonna happen, and I think this is a great move for the Dodgers. Your right thou this will tell just how good of a manager he really is.

Stephenk29
10-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm kind of surprised he's taking a job at all. Seems like a lot of managers like to take a year off or so. Leyland, Baker, Girardi, Brenly all did. Torre seems like the most obvious one who needs a little break in the booth.

terminator
10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
wow, wonder if a-rod will follow?
I wonder if he will be calling down to the bullpen for Rivera.

TheWalls
10-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Oh please sign A-Rod so I can go back to hating the Dodgers the way I used to!!!!!

ChatterRed
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I wonder if he will be calling down to the bullpen for Rivera.

My thoughts exactly.

I will laugh unendlessly if alot of key Yankees, like Rivera, bolt the Yankees to be with Torre or just be elsewhere. Then we can listen to more Hank Steinbrenner lipservice about "if they don't want to be a Yankee, then we don't want them either"......blah, blah, blah.

Then it will be funny to watch the Yankees field a team. But honestly, every young phenom that gets past arbitration and can get the big bucks always line up for the Yankees. And the older superstars who've tasted the Yankees are always looking to get the heck out. Hahaha.

GoReds33
10-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Oh please sign A-Rod so I can go back to hating the Dodgers the way I used to!!!!!Exactly. I usto hate the Dodgers with a passion. I hope that passion is still somewhere inside, and A-Rod might bring it out.

Bip Roberts
10-30-2007, 07:19 PM
their conference call was amazing :laugh:

Nothing but static and radio stations while people were trying to talk over top of them haha

mroby85
10-30-2007, 10:30 PM
This is the 2nd time Torre has cost Grady Little his job in a round about way, lol.

ThatPitchIsDunn
10-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Not to stir the pot too much, but what if Mariano Rivera follows Torre to LA? Could we be seeing a Dunn deal with the Dodgers to bring Ethier or Kemp and Broxton to the Redlegs? I would imagine Saito would slide into the setup role, which would make JonnyBrox a bit expendable.

I have no idea what else the Dodgers would ask for, and yet I'm intrigued. Couple this with Kerry Wood rumors, and I might start to get really excited about bullpen possibilities. Wood-Burton-Brox; that's some filth to face late in the ballgame.

GoReds33
10-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Not to stir the pot too much, but what if Mariano Rivera follows Torre to LA? Could we be seeing a Dunn deal with the Dodgers to bring Ethier or Kemp and Broxton to the Redlegs? I would imagine Saito would slide into the setup role, which would make JonnyBrox a bit expendable.

I have no idea what else the Dodgers would ask for, and yet I'm intrigued. Couple this with Kerry Wood rumors, and I might start to get really excited about bullpen possibilities. Wood-Burton-Brox; that's some filth to face late in the ballgame.I don't know if they would give Eithier or Kemp, and Broxton. Even with the deal straight up Dunn for Broxton I would be happy. It doesn't take much to have a good NL Central bullpen, so this aquisition would defenitly make me happy. It's intresting how the dominoes can start to tumble so fast.

bounty37h
10-31-2007, 03:52 PM
I would hang up the phone as soon as Kemps name was brought up in any trade conversation.