PDA

View Full Version : Are you wearing a costume today?

SandyD
10-31-2007, 08:54 AM
They told us at work (yesterday) that we can wear costumes to work today. I'm wearing all black, a cape, and a witch hat. Best I could come up with on short notice.

dougdirt
10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Wearing my Griffey Jersey, Reds hat and some batting gloves (which make typing all that much more fun). No baseball pants or cleates though. I am wearing the socks though, you just cant see them.

My little brother works at Mcdonalds. They told him he is allowed to wear a costume, so he is wearing his old Wendy's uniform with one of those big Redhead 'Wendy' wigs. I hope they let him wear it and not change into his McDonalds uniform, because I think it will be hilarious.

TeamCasey
10-31-2007, 09:30 AM
I would if I was more organized and made the time to do it.

There's a few walking around my building.

SunDeck
10-31-2007, 10:10 AM
No costume here. I can barely get it together enough every day to wear clean underwear to work.

RichRed
10-31-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm dressed as RichRed - and that's scary enough.

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
It won't work this year because my son is too young, but next year we're going to dress up as Krusty the Clown and his cigarette-smoking monkey Mr. Teeny.

RichRed
10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
It won't work this year because my son is too young, but next year we're going to dress up as Krusty the Clown and his cigarette-smoking monkey Mr. Teeny.

Please tell me you'll be the monkey.

NJReds
10-31-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm not. But I just saw someone in our cafeteria wearing a Cincinnati Reds Paul O'Neill jersey.

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Please tell me you'll be the monkey.

I would, but junior loves his cigs too much.

RichRed
10-31-2007, 10:47 AM
I would, but junior loves his cigs too much.

:laugh:

I hope he at least has the good sense to only smoke when he's drinking.

MrCinatit
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I'll be going as a middle-aged loser with no fashion sense working in retail and loves a perennially second division baseball club.
Or Barney, the dinosaur. Remarkably, there is little difference between the two costumes.

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2007, 10:57 AM
:laugh:

I hope he at least has the good sense to only smoke when he's drinking.

That's all the time.

He has a problem.

dougdirt
10-31-2007, 10:59 AM
I'll be going as a middle-aged loser with no fashion sense working in retail and loves a perennially second division baseball club.
Or Barney, the dinosaur. Remarkably, there is little difference between the two costumes.

Hahahahahaha :thumbup:

LoganBuck
10-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I was out and about in Columbus last weekend, and Halloween seemed to be in full swing. What is up with dressing like Strippers for Halloween? I saw probably 15-20 young women, in bars and restaurants wearing very little, and it was cold Saturday night. Several women wearing dominatrix outfits, with fishnet stockings, exposed thongs, and weird wigs. I saw that particular outfit on a pair of girls in Champs at Worthington. I kept hoping management might toss them out, but the seemed to get great service. I asked my brother in law if they needed to have a six foot bubble between them and other people. Can someone shed some light on this? Am I turning into a stick in the mud? I will say that the outfits did draw my attention away from the Ohio State game from time to time.

Roy Tucker
10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
I was out and about in Columbus last weekend, and Halloween seemed to be in full swing. What is up with dressing like Strippers for Halloween? I saw probably 15-20 young women, in bars and restaurants wearing very little, and it was cold Saturday night. Several women wearing dominatrix outfits, with fishnet stockings, exposed thongs, and weird wigs. I saw that particular outfit on a pair of girls in Champs at Worthington. I kept hoping management might toss them out, but the seemed to get great service. I asked my brother in law if they needed to have a six foot bubble between them and other people. Can someone shed some light on this? Am I turning into a stick in the mud? I will say that the outfits did draw my attention away from the Ohio State game from time to time.

From my little curmudgeonly corner of the world, what this means is that men no longer have an exclusive on questionable and stupid behavior.

Get off my lawn.

dougdirt
10-31-2007, 02:37 PM

No.... personally I think its ridiculous these days what a lot of girls will wear, much less wear in terms of a Halloween 'costume', if you can call them costumes. I am a young guy, 23, and its just not my taste. I think it comes off as very trashy and thats just not my thing.....

to each their own I guess.

westofyou
10-31-2007, 02:39 PM

My sister told me she went to a party as Little Red Riding Hood, there were two other LRRH's there, but she said they were done up all ****ty, and she was "traditional" (whatever that really means) I asked if she talked to them... nope she said. I told her that she gave them the same treatment that the Pat Benatar clones gave each other in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Chip R
10-31-2007, 02:40 PM

I know in the movie, "Mean Girls" they had a Halloween party and the girls all dressed up like skanks. But I'm guessing that they probably started doing that before the movie ever came out. Other than that, I don't have a clue.

acredsfan
10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
No.... personally I think its ridiculous these days what a lot of girls will wear, much less wear in terms of a Halloween 'costume', if you can call them costumes. I am a young guy, 23, and its just not my taste. I think it comes off as very trashy and thats just not my thing.....

to each their own I guess.I have to agree with that, I will be 22 in a little over a week and I have to say that they do nothing for me too. I'd rather not have the whole world seeing what my girlfriend has to offer. Call me old fashioned, but a little mystery is fine with me...

Highlifeman21
10-31-2007, 04:32 PM

Who's to say those were Halloween costumes?

Sounds like a normal weekend around Columbus, to me.

redsmetz
10-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Not a costume, but here's my daughter's latest blog entry especially for Halloween!

http://bp1.blogger.com/_qQR4qe3LXAY/RyLEBvu_C5I/AAAAAAAAATU/VCali5gkOiI/s400/elizabethmetzmonster.jpg

Tom Servo
10-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Only us seniors are allowed to dress up in my high school, so I took the oppurtunity and was J.D. from Scrubs. Had the navy blue scrubs with long sleeve gray shirt, stethescope, and John Dorian M.D. nametag.

MrCinatit
10-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Only us seniors are allowed to dress up in my high school, so I took the oppurtunity and was J.D. from Scrubs. Had the navy blue scrubs with long sleeve gray shirt, stethescope, and John Dorian M.D. nametag.

Did the janitor accuse you of putting a penny in the sliding doors?

Yachtzee
10-31-2007, 08:56 PM

to each their own I guess.

You are more than welcome to jump into a time machine and experience the days when I was 23. In those days college girls wore oversized Champion sweatshirts and spandex stirrup pants with huge hairdos full of ozone-depleting Aquanet. So grown women at a bar wear sexy Halloween costumes? So what? If it were 12 year olds, I'd have a problem. But if they're adults, as long as they cover their naughty bits, who cares? Spend some time in Europe or South America and the style of dress of American girls, particularly at the beach, is tame by comparison. People get too hung up on judging people based on what they're wearing instead of what really matters, like how they treat the people around them.

Super_Barry11
10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
I went out last weekend dressed up as a bee. Although I love celebrating holidays and dressing up, I had a midterm today and just couldn't bring myself to take the test in a bee costume, so I wore orange instead. :) The shirt I'm wearing today has a black cat on it and says, "The cutest kittens have the sharpest claws." So cute! :D

Heath
10-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Did the janitor accuse you of putting a penny in the sliding doors?

No, But Dr. Cox invaded his house at the party or told them to start drinking Miller Lite.

GAC
10-31-2007, 10:20 PM
One of our product engineers yesterday came in with red contact lenses and fangs. Talk about life-like and shades of Christopher Lee. Startled a few people. :lol:

dougdirt
10-31-2007, 10:56 PM
You are more than welcome to jump into a time machine and experience the days when I was 23. In those days college girls wore oversized Champion sweatshirts and spandex stirrup pants with huge hairdos full of ozone-depleting Aquanet. So grown women at a bar wear sexy Halloween costumes? So what? If it were 12 year olds, I'd have a problem. But if they're adults, as long as they cover their naughty bits, who cares? Spend some time in Europe or South America and the style of dress of American girls, particularly at the beach, is tame by comparison. People get too hung up on judging people based on what they're wearing instead of what really matters, like how they treat the people around them.

I don't feel like going into this exactly, but I completely disagree.

WMR
10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I read somewhere a perfect summation of Halloween for "young ladies": 'Gives them a perfect excuse to dress like a total **** one day out of the year without being called a ****.'

My question: Why be so unfair to the other 364 days?? :laugh: :evil: ;)

harangatang
11-01-2007, 02:03 AM
Yep, I am right now, a 70's outfit consisting of the male sign, a 70's tye dye t-shirt, plaid shorts, Janis Joplin sunglasses and a natural afro.

Ltlabner
11-01-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm really going to throw people a curve and make sales calls dressed up in a halloween costume TODAY.

I'll just play it deadpan and look like, "what??!?!" when people look at me weird.

RedsBaron
11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
We had a Halloween luncheon for the office yesterday, with the option of wearing a costume. None of the other partners were in costume, but the associates were, as were the office manager (Little Red Riding Hood), receptionist and several secretaries (my secretary said she was dressed as an "80's chick" but everyone said she looked like a hooker).
Just before the luncheon started, I changed into a colonial cosutme. I already had a colonial shirt I purchased years ago at Monticello, and a tri-corner hat I got at Colonial Williamsburg, and I rented knee-breeches, socks and shoe buckles to complete the ensemble. As soon as lunch was over, I changed back to my "normal" outfit.

HumnHilghtFreel
11-01-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm really going to throw people a curve and make sales calls dressed up in a halloween costume TODAY.

I'll just play it deadpan and look like, "what??!?!" when people look at me weird.

In about 8th grade, me and a friend thought it would be funny to go door to door after school the day after Halloween. We got more candy from people who had all their leftovers than we would have gotten on 5 real Halloweens.

SandyD
11-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Only coworker wore a costume ... also a witch. Some of the others wore wigs, or saints/LSU jerseys, etc, but that was it.

I didn't really WANT to dress up yesterday, because I knew it was a stressful day (end of month), but I wanted to "play along".

Yachtzee
11-01-2007, 09:05 AM
I don't feel like going into this exactly, but I completely disagree.

Fair enough. I'm just not a fan of making a value judgment on the character of a person based on what they wear, especially if it's just for one night a year just to have fun.

GAC
11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Yep, I am right now, a 70's outfit consisting of the male sign, a 70's tye dye t-shirt, plaid shorts, Janis Joplin sunglasses and a natural afro.

No platform shoes? 30 years ago that wouldn't have been considered a costume though. ;)

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 12:03 AM
My Halloween party isn't til tomorrow. I think I'm going to be an oompa loompa. Or maybe Betty Rubble or Pee Wee Herman, I haven't decided. But i am leaning toward the oompa loompa.

Yachtzee
11-02-2007, 12:08 AM
My Halloween party isn't til tomorrow. I think I'm going to be an oompa loompa. Or maybe Betty Rubble or Pee Wee Herman, I haven't decided. But i am leaning toward the oompa loompa.

Old School Oompa Loompa? Old School Oompa Loompas rock!

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Old School Oompa Loompa? Old School Oompa Loompas rock!

I suppose so, what is a new school oompa loompa?

This is who I mean:

http://retardswillrule.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/oompaloompa.jpg.w300h218.jpg

I picked it because I already have the tights. And because, yes, oompa loomps rock xcore.

Yachtzee
11-02-2007, 12:33 AM
I suppose so, what is a new school oompa loompa?

This is who I mean:

http://retardswillrule.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/oompaloompa.jpg.w300h218.jpg

I picked it because I already have the tights. And because, yes, oompa loomps rock xcore.

Sorry, can't see the picture.

Here's the comparison:

Old School Gene Wilder Class Oompa Loompas

http://freespace.virgin.net/rusty.goffe/Image11.gif

The Tim Burton Oompa Loompa v.2

http://www.stoweboyd.com/photos/uncategorized/oompa_loompa.jpg

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 12:50 AM
Oh yes, most definitely old school then. here is the picture with the tights:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/1820892048_0447338e6e_o.jpg

I haven't seen the Tim Burton version, but man, that oompa loompa is awful. Everyone would mistake me for a power ranger.

WMR
11-02-2007, 12:51 AM
You should see it, VP.

Burton has a very fresh take on it.

dougdirt
11-02-2007, 12:53 AM
You should see it, VP.

In the TB version, Willy Wonka rubs me as a pedophile. Seriously.

WMR
11-02-2007, 01:01 AM

Johnny Depp is definitely channeling a little bit of Neverland-era Michael Jackson... he's just a little kid who never grew up b/c of what he went through with his dad.

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 01:02 AM

You might want to say that he strikes you as a pedophile.

I will see it eventually. I like Tim Burton. But i do not like his oompa loompa vision.

WMR
11-02-2007, 01:09 AM

THAT is hilarious!!

:D :laugh: :D

Patrick Bateman
11-02-2007, 02:51 AM
THAT is hilarious!!

:D :laugh: :D

It would have been funnier if Doug were 12. Then it would have gone down as the most inappropriate line in the histroy of Redszone.

dougdirt
11-02-2007, 08:38 AM

Wow. I want to pretend I didn't word it that way, but its way too late for that one.....

SunDeck
11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I like Tim Burton, too. But some things just don't need to be remade.
Like Cape Fear.

westofyou
11-02-2007, 11:06 AM
You should see it, VP.

Fresh... as in fresh like scat.

I thought it stunk.

SunDeck
11-02-2007, 11:52 AM
As it just so happens, both my kids are home sick today and we had...the new Willy Wonka on loan from the library.

We watched it. I still think there was no need to remake the original. And the Johnny Depp reading of Willy Wonka is just too weird. The original adaptation of him was much more effective- the eccentric, imposing, subtly hostile chocolate genius of Gene Wilder was far superior to Depp's adult child impersonation. He just came off as more of a wounded, psychological basket case than anything else. And I know it is a tired thing to say that the movie didn't capture the book, but I think Burton took the eccentricity in his own direction, completely away from Dahl's Wonka.

Having said that, the first Oompa Loompa song, after Gustav falls in the river, is great. In the other songs, I found the lyrics too hard to understand.

Roy Tucker
11-02-2007, 01:44 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/29/AR2007102902095_pf.html

Preteens Trading Fairy Wands for Fishnets
Halloween Trend Toward Racy Get-Ups Vexes Parents

By Brigid Schulte
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 30, 2007; A01

Gabby Cirenza wanted to be a referee for Halloween. The outfit she liked had a micro-mini black skirt and a form-fitting black and white-striped spandex top held together with black laces running up the flesh-exposing sides. She looked admiringly at the thigh-high black go-go boots that could be bought as an accessory. And she thought the little bunny on the chest was cute.

"Absolutely not," said her mother, Cheryl. "That is so not happening."

Gabby is 11.

And the Playboy Racy Referee costume was only the latest that her mother had vetoed one pre-Halloween-crazed afternoon at Party City in Baileys Crossroads as too skimpy, too revealing, too suggestive .

Bawdy Halloween costumes, however, have become the season's hottest sellers in recent years. Not just for women, but for girls, too. And parents such as Cirenza don't like it.

Gabby eyed the Sexy Super Girl but decided against it. A friend at her Catholic school had worn that costume for a Halloween parade and pulled the already short miniskirt way up to cover her tummy. "That didn't look very good." But Gabby did like the Aqua Fairy, a vampy get-up with a black ripped-up skirt, black fishnet tights and blue bustier that comes in medium, large and preteen. A medium fits a child of 8.

No.

How about the Funky Punk Pirate Pre-Teen, with an off-the-shoulder blouse and bare midriff?

No.

Gabby pointed to the Fairy-Licious Purrrfect Kitty Pre-Teen, which, according to the package, includes a "pink and black dress with lace front bodice and sassy jagged skirt with tail. . . . Wings require some assembly."

Cheryl Cirenza shook her head in exasperated disbelief. "This is all so inappropriate. It's really disturbing," she said, eyeing a wall of such girl and preteen costumes as Major Flirt in army green, the bellybutton-baring Devilicious and a sassy, miniskirted French Maid, pink feather duster included. She'd just turned down her 13-year-old daughter's request for a Sexy Cop outfit. "When I was their age, I was a bunch of grapes."

But that was back in the days when Halloween was still a homemade kind of holiday, when an old sheet with eyeholes was a perfectly acceptable ghost and clumsily carved pumpkins on the front porch were about as elaborate as the decorations got. Now, Halloween is big business. Americans are expected to spend upwards of $5 billion this year on candy, ghoulish decorations and costumes. And the hottest trend in costumes, retailers say, is sexy. And young.

Fishnet tights, once associated with smoky cabarets or strip joints, now come in girls' sizes and cost $3.99.

Joe Thaler, head of TransWorld Exhibits Inc., runs the annual Halloween Expo for big-box retailers. He said suggestive costumes for girls burst onto the scene about three years ago and the phenomenon is so big that he's had to create a separate fashion show. The costumes have since moved to the plus-size market for adult women and now come in teen and preteen versions. Even little girl costumes show more leg and tummy than they used to. "They're just good sellers," Thaler said.

When it comes to Halloween costumes, boys can still be ninjas, doctors and mad scientists. A box of popcorn, even. Men can still be bananas or beer cans. About the most risque it got for men at Party City was the Big Daddy self-adhesive hairy chest kit for $6.99.

Kathy Grannis of the National Retail Federation blames Halloween's loss of innocence on baby boomers who can't let the holiday go, with their adult parties and costume contests at bars. "Halloween is no longer a child's holiday," she said. "It's no longer about handing out candy and putting on a witch's hat and walking down the street hand in hand with your kid."

For Cheryl Cirenza, that's what Halloween is still all about. But for her daughter, she's not so sure. "I really don't know why these kinds of costumes appeal so much to her," she said. Cirenza knows that prepubescent sex appeal is rampant. But the family doesn't have cable, and she limits Gabby's TV time. There are no trashy teen or celebrity magazines in her home. And they keep an eye on her Web surfing. "I don't know if it's just in the air."

The Halloween costume trend is not only leading to tense mother-daughter standoffs, but it is also part of a far larger worry that young girls are becoming sexualized. Task forces of psychologists study the trend. Books and academic articles are being produced with such titles as the upcoming "So Sexy So Soon" and "From Barbie to Britney: The Sexualization of Childhood." And yet the costumes sell.

"Youth isn't being lived through anymore. It's being rushed through," Stephanie Terrazas, 20, said as she watched her 11-year-old sister pick out a "deluxe" sequined Dorothy dress that, unlike the chaste, high-necked one in the little girl size, was lower cut and had two strategically placed poofs of fabric.

Megan Smith, 16, perused the costumes at Party City with her father, Dan. She first tried on the Prisoner, a slinky spandex number with a little button at the throat and open chest like a '70s disco halter dress. She settled on Raggedy Ann, a blue mini dress so mini that the lacy underskirt barely dusts the bottom of the fanny.

No one does scary costumes anymore, Megan said. Blame that on the teen movie "Mean Girls," she said, quoting a line verbatim: "Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total **** and no other girls can say anything about it."

Her father laughed nervously. "They're all a little risque, and I don't like that," he said. "She'll be wearing shorts underneath."

Megan rolled her eyes.

On another aisle, a frazzled Kathy Rafferty was doing her best to fend off her 6-year-old daughter Grace's choices. Grace liked the Mega Star costume, with a tiny bandeau top, bare midriff and low-slung sparkle pants. And she thought the Runway Diva in leopard skin, big sunglasses and knee-high boots was cool.

"Some of these are just incredibly sleazy. Nothing in here except Tinkerbell is innocent," Rafferty said. "Last year, Grace was a snow princess. Now, this is what she likes. I don't know what's happened."

Grace finally wore her mother down and ended up with a '70s Flower Power outfit that shows the bellybutton. "I told her I'd buy this only if she wore a leotard underneath," Rafferty said. "As a mother, I hate Halloween."

Meanwhile, Shawn Bailey was trying not to lose it as her 11-year-old daughter Da'Nesha Holmes picked out a costume. Her son had found his Darth Vader costume, and her baby had her Baby Bratz pink kitty outfit. But Da'Nesha was too tall for most of the girl costumes, and her mother was having none of the rest. Bar Wench. Cocktail Hunny. The half-angel, half-devil Naughty & Nice.

Da'Nesha pointed to Costume 529, Hot Flash, a nurse with thigh-high garters.

"No. You need something for you," Bailey said, sighing. "You're a little girl."

That afternoon, Gabby Cirenza left Party City empty-handed. Her mother later took her to Target, where she refused anything to do with princesses, pilgrims or nuns. At Party Depot, she begged for the preteen French Maid costume and promised she wouldn't wear it off the shoulders, like in the photo. Cheryl Cirenza, with six other children's costumes to find or make, finally made an executive decision. Gabby would be Lady Juliette, in a long dress and long sleeves. With a few tucks here and there, the neckline wouldn't plunge too low.

And when Gabby insisted they buy a corset to "lift everything up" and make the dress look better, Cirenza drew the line again. No corsets. Not now. Whether Gabby knows it or not, her mother thought, a corset is the last thing an 11-year-old needs.

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry, but some of these things are regarded as sexual because Americans sexualized them in the first place. It's patently untrue that fishnets have always been reserved for strip joints and cabarets. In most of Europe fishnet stockings are better made and are regarded as upper-class professional wear, because they're worn tastefully and with professional clothing. Corsets ARE traditional renaissance, princess wear etc; Juliet did wear a corset. We were the ones who turned them into lingerie.

Seems to me that America is doing an awful lot of complaining about a monster it created itself. 364 days a year, women are supposed to be sexual objects, trashy pop starlets make millions from parent-bought videos and CDs -- those Baby Bratz dolls are gross, but they're not any grosser, or more popular, on October 31 -- and then all of a sudden on Halloween everybody has a problem with it? I don't like the trend myself, only because there's a lot less creativity involved in costume preparation than there used to be. But that whole problem with "sleaziness" -- well, don't encourage it the rest of the time and maybe people will be less inclined to do it on Halloween. At least on that day it's under the guise of a costume.

Falls City Beer
11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I hate Oompa Loompas. I was afraid of them as a kid.

Costume?

Birthday suit. Strategic whipped cream.

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 03:18 PM
I hate Oompa Loompas. I was afraid of them as a kid.

Costume?

Birthday suit. Strategic whipped cream.

FCB:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/1830180674_0c42132085_o.jpg

The oompa loompas ARE terrifying. It's a scary holiday.

I'm being a figure skater. Too lazy today to deal with the orange body paint (oh, if I had a nickel...)

dougdirt
11-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm sorry, but some of these things are regarded as sexual because Americans sexualized them in the first place. It's patently untrue that fishnets have always been reserved for strip joints and cabarets. In most of Europe fishnet stockings are better made and are regarded as upper-class professional wear, because they're worn tastefully and with professional clothing. Corsets ARE traditional renaissance, princess wear etc; Juliet did wear a corset. We were the ones who turned them into lingerie.

Seems to me that America is doing an awful lot of complaining about a monster it created itself. 364 days a year, women are supposed to be sexual objects, trashy pop starlets make millions from parent-bought videos and CDs -- those Baby Bratz dolls are gross, but they're not any grosser, or more popular, on October 31 -- and then all of a sudden on Halloween everybody has a problem with it? I don't like the trend myself, only because there's a lot less creativity involved in costume preparation than there used to be. But that whole problem with "sleaziness" -- well, don't encourage it the rest of the time and maybe people will be less inclined to do it on Halloween. At least on that day it's under the guise of a costume.

Well there is the problem with society. Women shouldn't be treated like sexual objects, nor should they dress as such. Its sad that kids look up to these 'pop starlets' as you call them, becuase they are for the most part, trashy and trying to sell sex in order to sell music.... I am sure I am in the minority, especially among other men my age, but I have respect for women, and if they dress as if they don't respect themselves, then I don't take much time of mine to be around them. Have some respect for yourself and others will too.

Just my 2 cents.

pedro
11-02-2007, 03:23 PM
FCB:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/1830180674_0c42132085_o.jpg

The oompa loompas ARE terrifying. It's a scary holiday.

I'm being a figure skater. Too lazy today to deal with the orange body paint (oh, if I had a nickel...)

I have a friend who is on a mission to but every copy of that album he can find.

I have a my dad's copy.

Falls City Beer
11-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I have a friend who is on a mission to but every copy of that album he can find.

I have a my dad's copy.

In high school, my date's father drove us to the Homecoming Dance while playing Herb Albert's 70s comeback "Rise" on the car stereo.

LoganBuck
11-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Group conformity ===== Good

Also I don't need to see what some people choose to show. Especially while eating. Americans on the whole have a weight problem, and not everyone can pull off the Giselle look.

pedro
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
In high school, my date's father drove us to the Homecoming Dance while playing Herb Albert's 70s comeback "Rise" on the car stereo.

sweet.

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Well there is the problem with society. Women shouldn't be treated like sexual objects, nor should they dress as such. Its sad that kids look up to these 'pop starlets' as you call them, becuase they are for the most part, trashy and trying to sell sex in order to sell music.... I am sure I am in the minority, especially among other men my age, but I have respect for women, and if they dress as if they don't respect themselves, then I don't take much time of mine to be around them. Have some respect for yourself and others will too.

Just my 2 cents.

If it matters that much to you, maybe you should find out if they respect themselves rather than making a snap judgment about it by the way they dress.

Instead, you're judging them by the way they dress, which is the precise reason clothes have certain stigmas attached to them in the first place. You are making them objects instead of people which is the very root of the problem. It is a not-too-distant extension of this reasoning, by the way, that gives credence to the ever so popular "look at what she was wearing, she was asking to be raped" line of thought.

I know plenty of polo-shirted, khaki-clad women who loathe themselves and plenty of skimpily-clad women who are supremely respectful of themselves. The two things are not necessarily related.

Roy Tucker
11-02-2007, 03:36 PM

The Halloween costume trend is not only leading to tense mother-daughter standoffs, but it is also part of a far larger worry that young girls are becoming sexualized. Task forces of psychologists study the trend. Books and academic articles are being produced with such titles as the upcoming "So Sexy So Soon" and "From Barbie to Britney: The Sexualization of Childhood." And yet the costumes sell.

"Youth isn't being lived through anymore. It's being rushed through," Stephanie Terrazas, 20, said as she watched her 11-year-old sister pick out a "deluxe" sequined Dorothy dress that, unlike the chaste, high-necked one in the little girl size, was lower cut and had two strategically placed poofs of fabric.

This phenomena is my problem. If you're over 18 and you want to dress like trash, have at it. You are free to do so (and I'm free to have my opinion of it).

But entirely too much of this kind of stuff is flooding the 10-and-up market for young girls. And *that's* what I object to.

My wife and I are trying to raise our 2 teenage girls in a responsible fashion with character, morals, self-pride, and a healthy attitude towards sex and the opposite sex. Dressing like a streetwalker isn't conducive to anything near that.

vaticanplum
11-02-2007, 03:40 PM
This phenomena is my problem. If you're over 18 and you want to dress like trash, have at it. You are free to do so (and I'm free to have my opinion of it).

But entirely too much of this kind of stuff is flooding the 10-and-up market for young girls. And *that's* what I object to.

My wife and I are trying to raise our 2 teenage girls in a responsible fashion with character, morals, self-pride, and a healthy attitude towards sex and the opposite sex. Dressing like a streetwalker isn't conducive to anything near that.

I agree with you, Roy. We're having two separate debates in this thread -- the "dressing sexy" argument and the young girls argument. I do think the latter is happening way too fast and too dangerously, though I don't think it's in any way limited to Halloween. And, again, I think that's a larger problem that America wrought on itself.

Roy Tucker
11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with you, Roy. We're having two separate debates in this thread -- the "dressing sexy" argument and the young girls argument. I do think the latter is happening way too fast and too dangerously, though I don't think it's in any way limited to Halloween. And, again, I think that's a larger problem that America wrought on itself.

I figured that, vp. And I agree with your points. I just wanted to be sure to make my point clear.

I do think we adults have hijacked Halloween as a holiday for kids and have trashed it by allowing these kinds of costumes to get sold to young people. And you're right, it's a much more widespread problem that just Halloween.

What gets my dander up is that there are a heckuva lot of parents that think its all cute and funny and buy this stuff. And then the market follows.

Bah.

Falls City Beer
11-02-2007, 04:05 PM
My 12 year old daughter is by no means a shrinking violet or a Holly Hobby--in fact, she's a very popular kid among her classmates, but she doesn't in the least feel compelled to dress in the way that Roy speaks about. She is incredibly strong-willed and particular (go figure!) about what she wears, and therefore, she eschews what's "generically" popular at every turn.

I'm not sure I'd be delighted if she all of a sudden got into stuff like that, but then I guess I don't really know what "this ****ty" stuff is for kids younger than 16. I don't see it in my house, or in the catalogues and things that we get, so I don't really have context for it. More than anything else, I see clothing that's really frowzy and mismatched-looking on the girls that my daughter hangs around with.

SunDeck
11-02-2007, 06:43 PM
I wore fishnet stockings and a corset last year for Halloween.

I did not feel the least bit sexy.