PDA

View Full Version : Reds pick up options on Dunn, Valentin, Hatteberg

Degenerate39
10-31-2007, 05:09 PM
What are they going to do with Hatte?

Degenerate39
10-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Also, Johnny Narron will not be back.

Reds will try to resign Guardado at reduced rate.

Screwball
10-31-2007, 05:15 PM
What are they going to do with Hatte?

With Votto at first and Cantu there to fill in (platoon?), my prediction is part of a trade in the offseason.

GoReds33
10-31-2007, 05:20 PM
These are all smart moves, except maybe Narron's firing. I think that Hatteberg can bring significant value this offseason. I really hope they don't plan on having him platooning though. Votto is better than Hatteberg, and I really hope we can get something for Scott.

LincolnLandReds
10-31-2007, 05:44 PM
These are good option pickups. Allows alittle time to work out a long term deal for Dunn. Too bad about Guardardo not being picked up, but I agree with getting him at a cheaper rate for next season and lets see how well he recovers. He was starting to look good at the very end of the season after some awful early outings when first coming back. I think he pitched better than Stanton was at the end of the season (of course the only one pitching worse was Sarrloos, Milton & Dumtrait and they are all gone now, hmmmm).

Screwball
10-31-2007, 05:53 PM
These are all smart moves, except maybe Narron's firing.

I don't see Jo. Narron leaving as being any sort of problem. It was nice to have him there while Hamilton transitioned to life in the big leagues, but now that Josh has formed relationships with his teammates and other coaches who'll be surrounding him, I really don't think Jo. Narron is needed anymore.

Stephenk29
10-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Even if Hatteberg doesn't platoon, he is still a huge bat off the bench. He's not really all that expensive.

AccordinglyReds
10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
So, does anyone think now that Dunn's option was picked up, this means no LTD?

I am pleased with the options being picked up. :)

CarolinaRedleg
10-31-2007, 06:05 PM
Perfect on all fronts.

Now see if Everyday Eddie will agree to a lesser deal and lock the Big Donk up for at least another 3 years.

redsfanmia
10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
Should have let Dunn walk and use his money to rebuild the bullpen.

Degenerate39
10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

Why not use Milton's money and Cormier's money to rebuild the bullpen?

Will M
10-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Even if Hatteberg doesn't platoon, he is still a huge bat off the bench. He's not really all that expensive.

:confused:

The 2005 version of Javy was good.

The 2007 version stunk.
His OPS last year was .715. He hit one home run.

kaldaniels
10-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Whats the over/under on the number of news articles leading with...Dunn Deal???

stevekun
10-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Glad to see the Dunn deal

WMR
10-31-2007, 10:27 PM

Not picking up Dunn's option would have been a colossal mistake.

You can't come even the least bit close to replacing his massive offensive production with 13 million dollars (especially considering that it is all produced from a single offensive position).

The pitching needs improvement, but not at the expense of losing Dunn.

AdamDunn
10-31-2007, 10:45 PM
We better trade Hatte...cause if we don't, that means Votto will either a) sit on the bench, b) be in AAA and delay his development, or c) get traded. Unless we get something monstrous in a trade, all of them are bad options.

Screwball
10-31-2007, 11:39 PM

That might be a good idea if a.) there were actual stud bullpen pitchers available to throw Dunn's money at, b.) Wayne wasn't so bad at constructing said bullpen, and c.) we could easily replace Dunn's offensive production. About the only one of those that has a realistic chance of being a reality would be c.), with Jay Bruce waiting in the wings. Even then, you'd have to hope for a phenomenal rookie season from a 21 year old.

In short, buying out Dunn's option would've been about the worst move Krivsky and co. could've conceivably made. Picking him up at 13 mill this year is paying market value for enormous production.

AmarilloRed
11-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Hatteberg will not be a starter next year. We most likely will have a platoon of Votto/Cantu and Hatteberg will be there to give them days off. Valentin's option was picked up because it was cheaper than signing a catcher in free agency.

AdamDunn
11-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Hatteberg will not be a starter next year. We most likely will have a platoon of Votto/Cantu and Hatteberg will be there to give them days off. Valentin's option was picked up because it was cheaper than signing a catcher in free agency.

Disagree. I think Hatteberg said he would rather retire than be a bench player. And why on earth would we platoon Votto/Cantu. We would have three potentially starting first baseman on our 25-man roster (key word, potentially). Not only that, platooning between Votto and Cantu would hurt Votto's development. Votto is the future at first base. Just let him play!

mound_patrol
11-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Disagree. I think Hatteberg said he would rather retire than be a bench player. And why on earth would we platoon Votto/Cantu. We would have three potentially starting first baseman on our 25-man roster (key word, potentially). Not only that, platooning between Votto and Cantu would hurt Votto's development. Votto is the future at first base. Just let him play!

If the Reds are in contention and Votto is struggling vs Lefties then you have to play Cantu. If the Reds would be out of it you'd let him keep hitting so he could improve. Also Cantu and Votto can play other positions if the need is there. It's only smart to pick up the option on a quality bat like Hatteberg. If he is used only as a rare starter and late game pinch hitter then he is still worth his salary.

Hatte said he'd rather retire then be a bench player but he also went on to say that he signed the contract and he would play it out if it was picked up.

Stephenk29
11-01-2007, 10:55 AM
:confused:

The 2005 version of Javy was good.

The 2007 version stunk.
His OPS last year was .715. He hit one home run.

Hatteberg?????

Isn't Cantu a free agent this year as well? Don't we have to resign him first?

mound_patrol
11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Hatteberg?????

Isn't Cantu a free agent this year as well? Don't we have to resign him first?

cantu is arbitration eligible.

AdamDunn
11-01-2007, 11:59 AM
cantu is arbitration eligible.

Maybe, we are not going to offer him arbitration. I hope so.

terminator
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I think Hatteberg said he would rather retire than be a bench player.
He did say that, but he also said if the Reds exercised the option that he would honor his contract.

From an old John Fay blog:

If the Reds are going to go with Joey Votto at first base -- and it seems like a lock they will -- it sounds like Scott Hatteberg would prefer they not pick up his $1.85 million option.

"Before I signed last year, some teams talked to me about being an extra guy," Hatteberg said. "Honestly, I'd really rather retire."

Of course, if the Reds pick up the option, Hatteberg will return.

"Obviously," he said. "That's the contract I signed."

I just can't imagine Hatteberg, a consummate professional, causing problems while being a $1.85MM backup. Keep in mind this is a guy who was almost out of baseball after a declining 2005 performance and was probably only kept in baseball with a $750M contact offered by the Reds at the beginning of spring training of 2006. Instead of being out of baseball in 2005, he'll have made $4.05MM through 2008. Not bad and I'm sure he appreciates what Krivsky did for him.

AmarilloRed
11-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I read on the ORG that the Reds were already taking a trade of Hatteberg to the Rangers. It makes no sense to get nothing for Hatteberg. If we can carry three catchers, why wouldn't we carry three first baseman? I think the Reds have decided that Votto will be the starter next year and Cantu will be there for tough leftys, but Hatteberg's salary this year will make him attractive trade bait for another team.

redsfanmia
11-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Not picking up Dunn's option would have been a colossal mistake.

You can't come even the least bit close to replacing his massive offensive production with 13 million dollars (especially considering that it is all produced from a single offensive position).

The pitching needs improvement, but not at the expense of losing Dunn.

Jay Bruce and Jorge Cantu could replace a majority of Dunn's production for less than 1 million dollars. Dunn is a luxurey item IMO a great player to complement not a building block and certainly not worth 13 million to a Reds team with a 70 million dollar payroll. If the payroll was 90+ million then its a no-brainer to pick up the option.

WMR
11-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Jay Bruce and Jorge Cantu could replace a majority of Dunn's production for less than 1 million dollars. Dunn is a luxurey item IMO a great player to complement not a building block and certainly not worth 13 million to a Reds team with a 70 million dollar payroll. If the payroll was 90+ million then its a no-brainer to pick up the option.

Jay Bruce and Jorge Cantu. Really?

That's expecting a lot from a youngster yet to have his first AB in the big leagues.

And Jorge Cantu?? Really.

There's no way in the world you can expect those two players to do what Adam Dunn does for this offense.

Stephenk29
11-01-2007, 03:22 PM

That's expecting a lot from a youngster yet to have his first AB in the big leagues.

There's no way in the world you can expect those two players to do what Adam Dunn does for this offense.

Agreed. Maybe if Bruce throws up Ryan Braun style rookie numbers. Cantu isn't very far removed from a 100 RBI Season but if he platoons with Vatto or Hatteberg or whoever there's no way he puts up those kind of numbers.

WMR
11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Agreed. Maybe if Bruce throws up Ryan Braun style rookie numbers. Cantu isn't very far removed from a 100 RBI Season but if he platoons with Vatto or Hatteberg or whoever there's no way he puts up those kind of numbers.

Dunn:LF - Bruce/Hamilton:CF - Bruce/Hamilton:RF would be a wonderful outfield to have for the next 5 seasons or so.

Not too bad defensively (Dunn is actually pretty close to league average compared to the players that other teams trot out to LF... Bruce and Hamilton both have cannons and are plus-defenders) and that outfield has the potential to be absolutely FILTHY in terms of offensive production.

mound_patrol
11-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Dunn:LF - Bruce/Hamilton:CF - Bruce/Hamilton:RF would be a wonderful outfield to have for the next 5 seasons or so.

Not too bad defensively (Dunn is actually pretty close to league average compared to the players that other teams trot out to LF... Bruce and Hamilton both have cannons and are plus-defenders) and that outfield has the potential to be absolutely FILTHY in terms of offensive production.

Ditto. Bruce should replace Jr not Dunn. And Cantu should stay at first base primarily and as a fill in for the rest of the infield.

redsfanmia
11-01-2007, 03:36 PM

Take the money your paying Dunn and replace him with uber prospect Bruce at league minimum and Cantu at like 600 k and put the money you save into pitching at the Reds will win 10 more games atleast. Its a moot point because the option is picked up and we will have Dunn atleast until June 15th.

mound_patrol
11-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Take the money your paying Dunn and replace him with uber prospect Bruce at league minimum and Cantu at like 600 k and put the money you save into pitching at the Reds will win 10 more games atleast. Its a moot point because the option is picked up and we will have Dunn atleast until June 15th.

Or trade the lessor outfielder Jr and use that money to get pitching. Dunn is too much of a bargain to trade away in my opinion.

redsfanmia
11-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Or trade the lessor outfielder Jr and use that money to get pitching. Dunn is too much of a bargain to trade away in my opinion.

In a perfect world i like that better but JR has 10 and 5 rights and probably isnt going to approve the deal. Dunn is a bargin in a big market no one making 13 million a year is a bargin to a team with a payroll the size of the Reds.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
11-01-2007, 04:37 PM
In a perfect world i like that better but JR has 10 and 5 rights and probably isnt going to approve the deal. Dunn is a bargin in a big market no one making 13 million a year is a bargin to a team with a payroll the size of the Reds.
Dunn @ 13 million is a bargain in any market period. To say that the Reds payroll can't handle Dunn's contract is to say that you know something that the rest of us do not. (The Reds 2008 payroll). I think that it would be a shock if the payroll isn't increased by quite a bit this year and throughout the years to come. You just don't sign a big name manager and run in place until he gets upset and leaves. This is a big turning point for the Reds and not picking up Dunns option because of payroll restraints would have sent the wrong message not only to Dusty but also to the fans.

redsfanmia
11-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Dunn @ 13 million is a bargain in any market period. To say that the Reds payroll can't handle Dunn's contract is to say that you know something that the rest of us do not. (The Reds 2008 payroll). I think that it would be a shock if the payroll isn't increased by quite a bit this year and throughout the years to come. You just don't sign a big name manager and run in place until he gets upset and leaves. This is a big turning point for the Reds and not picking up Dunns option because of payroll restraints would have sent the wrong message not only to Dusty but also to the fans.

I will believe :castellini: will raise payroll significantly when I see it. I said Dunn would be a great player and a bargain at 13 million on a 90+ million dollar payroll team. I just think the Reds have too many holes to put 13 million into Dunn, JMO and I think Krivsky didnt have anything to do with the option being picked up I think it was all :castellini:.