PDA

View Full Version : The 2007-2008 Kentucky Wildcats basketball thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

WVRed
02-29-2008, 12:26 AM
Technically, yes. If you go by press conferences, Gillispie's was on Friday, April 6th and Pelphrey's was something like 72 hours later (Monday, April 9th).

My point is that, in early March 2007, UK wanted to hire Pelphrey for the 2007-08 season--but only as Tubby's assistant coach. However, once Tubby balked at the mandated purge of his current assistants, it was clear that he was not going to be able to work things out with Mitch & Company.

When Tubby announced in late March that he would be leaving UK, it pretty much spelled the end of Pelphrey's chances at UK and made the Arkansas job an easy decision for him.

The week after Tubby resigned was a flurry of activity and conversation between Donovan's "people" and several UK boosters. Donovan rebuffs UK. So, even if UK had decided to offer Pelphrey the head coaching "gig" (cannot confirm that happened), Pelphrey had already narrowed his sites on Arkansas. Next on the list was Billy Clyde, who needed approximately 15 minutes to accept the position (not really, it just seemed that way).

:cool:

Arkansas fired Heath thinking they could get Gillispie.

When the Kentucky job came open, Gillispie didnt sign with Arkansas but didnt accept A&M's extension. It was a pretty safe bet to say he would be the guy.

BRM
02-29-2008, 08:55 AM
Go Cards.

:thumbup:

durl
02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
How many at-large NCAA tourney teams will have 42 point losses on their resumes??? :)

It helps that UK beat Vandy earlier in the season, I would think.

And 41 points is pretty good. But maybe, one day, you can go for the 62-point margin of victory that UK had over Vandy in 2003. ;)

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 09:38 AM
It helps that UK beat Vandy earlier in the season, I would think.

And 41 points is pretty good. But maybe, one day, you can go for the 62-point margin of victory that UK had over Vandy in 2003. ;)

That 2003 Vandy team didn't make the tourney either. :D

BRM
02-29-2008, 09:49 AM

Nicely done.

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:01 PM
If UK finishes 12-4 in the SEC they're going to the Big Dance. This isn't Vanderbilt, it's Kentucky. They're a cash cow for the NCAA and they'll be looking for reasons to INCLUDE them in the tournament, NOT exclude them.

BRM
02-29-2008, 01:03 PM
It would be hard to keep them out if they finish 12-4 in the conference. That would put them at 18-11 overall.

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Indiana.html

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
This one is especially funny... http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Vanderbilt.html

BRM
02-29-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Indiana.html

:angry:

:rant:

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Indiana was doing pretty well against UK until the last 20 years or so. :lol:

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
It would be hard to keep them out if they finish 12-4 in the conference. That would put them at 18-11 overall.

Getting one win in the SEC tourney would remove any last vestiges of doubt.

BRM
02-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Of course, they have to actually get to 12-4 first.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Absolutely. Unless they were to get drilled in their first conference tourney game.

The bubble is going to be real interesting for some "big name" programs: UK, Syracuse, Arizona, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and the like.

What if... UK loses to UT and UF but wins their 1st round tourney game?

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't feel very good about that, dab.

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I think they'd need to win two games in the SEC tourney in that scenario.

The UF v. UK game at the end of the season could very well be a play-in game between those two schools.

I really think we're going to beat Florida soundly in that game, however. It's the last game that Crawford and Bradley will ever play in Rupp Arena... (it is Senior day/night, btw)

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 01:15 PM
This one is especially funny... http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Vanderbilt.html

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Games/20080212Vanderbilt.html

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Interestingly, UK's RPI will go up whether they win or lose at UT this Sunday (albeit the jump would be much, MUCH bigger were they to emerge victorious).

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:18 PM

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/CoachesOpposing/KevinStallings.html

Not bad, not bad!! Not many SEC coaches can boast that kind of winning percentage versus Kentucky. :ughmamoru

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM
The UF v. UK game at the end of the season could very well be a play-in game between those two schools.

I think you're right, but UF may lose their next two before playing UK. They have Miss. State and Tenneessee. Both are at home, but still... that's a tough road.

UF's nonconference schedule was weak... but they one have one "bad loss" -- LSU @ home.

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:20 PM

P.S. 96 YEARS >>>>>>>>> ONE GAME

:lol:

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
I think you're right, but UF may lose their next two before playing UK. They have Miss. State and Tenneessee. Both are at home, but still... that's a tough road.

UF's nonconference schedule was weak... but they one have one "bad loss" -- LSU @ home.

Yeah their strength of schedule is pathetic.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 01:21 PM
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/CoachesOpposing/KevinStallings.html

Not bad, not bad!! Not many SEC coaches can boast that kind of winning percentage versus Kentucky. :ughmamoru

I'll take winning 5 of the last 6.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
P.S. 96 YEARS >>>>>>>>> ONE GAME

Sometimes I think you forget that UK was bad at one point, too.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1989/0529_large.jpg

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I'll take winning 5 of the last 6.

Gotta love the Flubster and his inability to beat Dandy Vandy.

Of course, those last couple years, he couldn't beat ANYONE in the top 25.

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Sometimes I think you forget that UK was bad at one point, too.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1989/0529_large.jpg

Of course. I'm a big picture guy.

WMR
02-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Do you know anywhere I could read that SI article online? I've looked before but have been unable to find it... I've thought about buying a copy off ebay.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Do you know anywhere I could read that SI article online? I've looked before but have been unable to find it... I've thought about buying a copy off ebay.

Maybe email Curry Kirkpatrick... if anyone would know, it'd be him:
curry.kirkpatrick@espnmag.com

I burned my copy in 1996.

Blimpie
02-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Okay... Deep breath UK fans.

Multiple sources are now reporting that Patrick Patterson is done for the year with a stress fracture.

And no...it is not April 1st yet.

WMR
02-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Damn. Our season is done.

WMR
02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/333161.html

BRM
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3270896):

Kentucky's Patrick Patterson, the Southeastern Conference's top freshman scorer, will miss the remainder of the season after being diagnosed with a stress fracture in his left ankle.

Patterson, the only freshman ranked among the SEC's top 10 scorers, at 16.4 points per game, and rebounders (7.7 per game), underwent an X-ray Friday morning at UK Hospital, and the confirmed the injury, the university announced.

Patterson is wearing a cast on his left foot and will be out approximately eight weeks, the school said.

Kentucky (16-10) is 10-3 in the SEC East, only one game behind top-ranked Tennessee (25-3, 11-2). The teams face off Sunday in Knoxville.

WMR
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I feel really sorry for that young man. He represents everything that is "RIGHT" about collegiate athletics. :( :( :(

Well, for everyone that was wondering how good Jared Carter is... we're about to find out. A.J. Stewart as well.

WMR
02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
This has been the most injury-plagued Kentucky team that I can remember.

I think 10 players now have missed time due to injuries. :( :( :(

cumberlandreds
02-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Damn. Our season is done.

Yep,NIT here we come. About the only good thing is that it would pretty much guarantee that he will be back next season,I think.

WMR
02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
We can still beat South Carolina and Florida... everyone is going to have to step up in a big way, however.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow. Too bad.

Only two players have made appearances in every game: Perry Stevenson and Mark Coury.

durl
02-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, it's time for Carter to show us if he really wants to play ball in the SEC. I'd really like for him to surprise me. Who knows? Maybe some of these under-achieving players will use Patterson's injury as motivation to pick up their game.

I honestly thought the Cats would get to the NCAA tournament this year but I'm not going to hold my breath now.

durl
02-29-2008, 03:28 PM

Good point. But pick a year and chances are Vandy didn't make it in. Hey, I can understand Vandy fans enjoying beating UK. But I thought of another stat in which Vandy "sort of" leads UK. Vandy has 2 more appearances in the NCAA tournament than UK has championships. :D

Seriously, though. It's all in good fun. A few jabs between fans is always fun to me.

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Good point. But pick a year and chances are Vandy didn't make it in. Hey, I can understand Vandy fans enjoying beating UK. But I thought of another stat in which Vandy "sort of" leads UK. Vandy has 2 more appearances in the NCAA tournament than UK has championships. :D

Seriously, though. It's all in good fun. A few jabs between fans is always fun to me.

Word.

I thought of another stat, by the way... SAT scores. :cool:

dabvu2498
02-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Well, it's time for Carter to show us if he really wants to play ball in the SEC. I'd really like for him to surprise me. Who knows? Maybe some of these under-achieving players will use Patterson's injury as motivation to pick up their game.

I honestly thought the Cats would get to the NCAA tournament this year but I'm not going to hold my breath now.

I'd like to see AJ Stewart step up as well. He seems like a really good kid.

joshnky
02-29-2008, 04:16 PM

This somewhat reminds me of UofLs injury plagued NIT season a couple of years ago. They fought through injuries to Palacios and Dean and then lost Padgett for the season.

Definately a tough loss for UK. The Tennessee game could be really bad.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Yep,NIT here we come. About the only good thing is that it would pretty much guarantee that he will be back next season,I think.

I think he would be back regardless. Patterson had made the comment before that he was planning on staying all four years. I dont see him fulfilling that end of the deal, but I could see him staying 2-3 years.

WVRed
02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
In other news, DeMarcus Cousins has supposedly committed to UAB.

Whiskey marathon in room 321 in about five minutes. Be there.

Blimpie
02-29-2008, 06:12 PM
I think he would be back regardless. Patterson had made the comment before that he was planning on staying all four years. I dont see him fulfilling that end of the deal, but I could see him staying 2-3 years.Agreed. Just today, Patterson's parents tried to place the awful news into the proper context when they remarked that Patrick's purpose for attending UK was to get an education...and he can still do that with a boot cast on his left leg.

Well said, IMO.

Sea Ray
02-29-2008, 06:54 PM
I didn't even hear the guy was hurt. Has this been a nagging thing for awhile or did he do this vs Ole Miss?

WMR
02-29-2008, 10:12 PM
I didn't even hear the guy was hurt. Has this been a nagging thing for awhile or did he do this vs Ole Miss?

I may be wrong, but I believe he has been hobbling at least a little bit the entire season... my guess is that something happened during the Ole Miss game that really exacerbated the nagging injury and made it turn into something much more serious. :(

Poor kid. :(

Great post, Blimpie, he has great parents, it is clear.

durl
03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I'd like to see AJ Stewart step up as well. He seems like a really good kid.

Excellent point. He's another player that's seen little action.

This can be a huge opportunity for those kids that have yet to make an impact. We'll see who's up for the challenge very soon.

macro
03-01-2008, 10:49 AM
One silver lining I can find in the Patterson injury is that at least it didn't happen in a season in which the team was poised to make a serious title run.

jmac
03-01-2008, 11:42 AM
One silver lining I can find in the Patterson injury is that at least it didn't happen in a season in which the team was poised to make a serious title run.
Hate to see the kid injured but it also mostly assurs he will not exit early.
I doubt if he would have anyway but ya never know.

WMR
03-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I thought those kids at Vanderbilt were supposed to be smart?!?!?!

Isn't Vanderbilt "The Ivy League of the South"???

:confused:

WMR
03-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for calling that time-out, btw, Neltner. Now if UK loses tomorrow versus UT, they will still retain their hold on 2nd place in the SEC East.

I bet Dabvu threw his television out the window.

jmac
03-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for calling that time-out, btw, Neltner. Now if UK loses tomorrow versus UT, they will still retain their hold on 2nd place in the SEC East.

I bet Dabvu threw his television out the window.
They could surprise me but I just dont see UK doing much else without Patterson.
Hope I'm wrong though.
Great win by Pelphrey btw.

WMR
03-02-2008, 02:10 PM
I am so proud of this team. Amazing performance. That is the true definition of "leaving it all on the court."

And to put forth that sort of performance WITHOUT Patrick Patterson.

UK fans who are writing this team off need to check themselves.

WMR
03-02-2008, 02:13 PM
This team has become one of my favorite UK teams of all-time.

Absolutely no quit in this team. They don't know what the word 'quit' means.

WMR
03-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Even though we lost today, this type of performance versus the #1 team in the nation will help our NCAA tournament chances.

What's imperative now is that we take care of business at South Carolina.

guttle11
03-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Kentucky had no business being in that game, talent wise. It was an all-out, leave your heart on the floor performance. The shots Bradley and Jasper hit were unreal.

I'm not sure that's a good thing going forward, though. They won't shoot like that the rest of the season. If they can't play with that level of emotion every minute from here on out, they may not win another game. They'll really feel Patterson's injury in the next game.

WMR
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Jasper is shooting over 50% from 3-pt range, FWIW.

I agree, however, that the emotion spent during that game could hurt them versus South Carolina. I still think they can beat them, however.

The real story from this game, though, was Perry Stevenson, a.k.a. The Thin Man.

WOW.

Amazing how far he has come under Coach Gillispie. That's been one of the more noteworthy aspects of Coach Gillispie's tenure as UK Coach up to this point: Player Development. At the beginning of this season, I couldn't wait for Bradley and Crawford to graduate. Now they've become consummate team players and are playing at a level far beyond anything they showed in their first 3 years. I really look forward to seeing this team 2 seasons from now when Coach Gillispie has a full squad of players chosen by him and developed exclusively under his watch.

cumberlandreds
03-02-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't usually believe in moral victories but if there ever was one that was it today. You just can't ask for anymore effort than that. Stevenson has come a long way and also Harris has to. He made some impressive moves today,handled the ball well and even his shooting is somewhat better. The game against USC will be very tough to win. It's senior day for them and it will be the last home game for Odum. If his players really like him, they will give the same type of effort UK gave today. UK can go to the emotional well just so much and it will run dry. I hope it's not dry yet but it could be really low.

WVRed
03-02-2008, 11:03 PM
If Kentucky were to manage to win out the rest of the way and lock up the no 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, it would go a long way in giving them a better shot at making the title game.

If they are a three seed in the east, they will be going through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt possibly.

cumberlandreds
03-03-2008, 07:28 AM
If Kentucky were to manage to win out the rest of the way and lock up the no 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, it would go a long way in giving them a better shot at making the title game.

If they are a three seed in the east, they will be going through Arkansas, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt possibly.

You mean a two seed in the SEC tourney,don't you? :)

Here's what the tourney would look like today. A pretty good bracket for UK. That top bracket is loaded though with UT,Vandy and Arkansas all together.

First Round Matchups (if season ended 3/1)
[W4] LSU vs. [E5] South Carolina 1:00 ET (Tennessee)
[E3] Vanderbilt vs. [W6] Auburn 3:15 ET (Arkansas)
[E4] Florida vs. [W5] Alabama 7:30 ET (Missisippi State)
[W3] Ole Miss vs. [E6] Georgia 9:45 ET (Kentucky)

Byes: [E1] Tennessee, [W1] Miss. State, [E2] Kentucky, [W2] Arkansas

dabvu2498
03-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I thought those kids at Vanderbilt were supposed to be smart?!?!?!

Isn't Vanderbilt "The Ivy League of the South"???

Thanks for calling that time-out, btw, Neltner.

Neltner is from Kentucky. :cool:

BRM
03-03-2008, 09:37 AM
That was one hell of a game yesterday. UK played their butts off. Very entertaining basketball.

WVRed
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
You mean a two seed in the SEC tourney,don't you? :)

Here's what the tourney would look like today. A pretty good bracket for UK. That top bracket is loaded though with UT,Vandy and Arkansas all together.

First Round Matchups (if season ended 3/1)
[W4] LSU vs. [E5] South Carolina 1:00 ET (Tennessee)
[E3] Vanderbilt vs. [W6] Auburn 3:15 ET (Arkansas)
[E4] Florida vs. [W5] Alabama 7:30 ET (Missisippi State)
[W3] Ole Miss vs. [E6] Georgia 9:45 ET (Kentucky)

Byes: [E1] Tennessee, [W1] Miss. State, [E2] Kentucky, [W2] Arkansas

Yeah, id say pretty much everybody in the Top 25 and more would have to cancel their season for Kentucky to have any shot of a two seed in the NCAA.

dabvu2498
03-03-2008, 09:42 AM
That was one hell of a game yesterday. UK played their butts off. Very entertaining basketball.

Agreed. Credit to Billy G. He outcoached Pearl every which way. He's starting to grow on me.

In the back of my mind this whole time, I've thought "well, if he were that good a coach they wouldn't have lost to Gardner Webb or San Diego." But I'm starting to leave some of that behind.

BRM
03-03-2008, 09:55 AM
I've always thought Billy was a good coach. I just don't like him. Could be because he wears Kentucky blue. ;)

WMR
03-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Commentator Kevin Harlan on Coach Billy Gillispie and his CATS on his radio show this morning:

"I got the chance to see the best coaching job in college basketball hands down yesterday by Billy Gillispie. With UK losing Patterson their all-everything player, to go down to Knoxville and go toe-to-toe with a Tennessee team who had just come off a loss, is playing for a number one seed and honored Ernie Grunfeld before the game, was remarkable. A lot of times I get the chance to call games where I watch so much talent and wonder about some of the coaching decisions. This was a game where I came away amazed at how well Gillispie drew up the game plan and then how well UK executed it. To have a shot to tie the game at the end of regulation was truly remarkable for this group of UK players without arguably their top player. My co-host Bill Raferty turned to me as we were walking out of the arena and said we just witnessed one of the best coaching performances in a long, long time. I concurred. We all know that Billy Gillispie is a great recruiter. He's married to basketball. But some might not realize just how good of an x's and o's guy he is too. "

Revering4Blue
03-03-2008, 10:59 PM
In the back of my mind this whole time, I've thought "well, if he were that good a coach they wouldn't have lost to Gardner Webb or San Diego.

San Diego's not a bad team at all, as good as Gonzaga, imo. They did beat St. Mary's.

joshnky
03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
San Diego's not a bad team at all, as good as Gonzaga, imo. They did beat St. Mary's.

Sorry but this is a rediculous statement. Upsets happen and you should consider the totallity of a teams season. San Diego is 115 in the rpi with a record of 17-13. They were awful early in the season (when UK played them) and even lost to Cal St Bakersfield (rpi of 319) at home a week and a half later. They've improved to the point of being the third best team in the WCC (not exactly a lofty goal) but they weren't playing this well when UK played them. The only top 150 teams they have beaten are UK and St. Mary's (at home). That is a bad team.

Revering4Blue
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
That is a bad team.

No, it isn't. A "bad" team doesn't have a prayer in Hades of qualifying for N.I.T consideration, at least that's how I see it. The Torreros shouldn't have beaten Kentucky at
Rupp Arena, I'll grant you that, but to lump San Diego with Gardner-Webb is unfair. The loss at home to Gardner-Webb is far, far worse, IMO.

dabvu2498
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
No, it isn't. A "bad" team doesn't have a prayer in Hades of qualifying for N.I.T consideration, at least that's how I see it. The Torreros shouldn't have beaten Kentucky at
Rupp Arena, I'll grant you that, but to lump San Diego with Gardner-Webb is unfair. The loss at home to Gardner-Webb is far, far worse, IMO.

Sure it is.

But I'll still bet you a five spot that San Diego doesn't make the NIT. 115 RPIs don't cut it.

BRM
03-04-2008, 05:07 PM
For comparison's sake. Here are the two team's RPI:

San Diego - 107
Gardner-Webb - 206

Revering4Blue
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
In any event, Billy Gillespie rebuilt the UTEP program, which had fallen off the map following the retirement of Don "The Bear" Haskins. Texas A&M hadn't won an NCAA game in 27 years, and hadn't qualified for the NCAA's in 20 years, look at them now. He'll get it done at UK, just not this year.

joshnky
03-04-2008, 08:03 PM

You lumped them in with Gonzaga which is very unfair to Gonzaga. I'm just saying that regardless of how you look at it this was a bad loss. Gillespie is doing a good job but lets not gloss over the San Diego loss.

WMR
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.unf.edu/~jcoleman/dance.htm

WMR
03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
http://bracketproject.atspace.com/comparison.htm

Really interesting website... averages all of the different bracket projections into a single projection average.

Sea Ray
03-05-2008, 12:17 AM
I think Kentucky will win a few more games before selection Sunday and that they'll roll right into the tournament.

WMR
03-05-2008, 01:25 PM
This really great UK website that I post on raised over $2,000 in two days to put together an ad in the Kentucky Colonel thanking this years team and the Seniors Ramel and Joe.

Here is a link to a pdf of the full-page color ad that will run in Thursday's Kentucky Colonel. (The ad cost around 1700.00... the extra $500.00 was donated to Dance Blue in honor of Seniors Ramel Bradley and Joe Crawford.)

It's a really beautiful ad, IMO.

http://www.kentuckyink.com/magazine/KI-FullPageAd-030408.pdf

BRM
03-05-2008, 01:32 PM
That's the most hideous looking thing I've ever seen.

j/k...That's actually pretty cool.

WMR
03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
That's the most hideous looking thing I've ever seen.

j/k...That's actually pretty cool.

Two grand buys a lot of prepaid cellphone minutes, huh?

BRM
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Two grand buys a lot of prepaid cellphone minutes, huh?

I have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

WMR
03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

Huge game for the Cats tonight... @ SC... Dave Odom's final game at home...

BRM
03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Huge game for the Cats tonight... @ SC... Dave Odom's final game at home...

The crowd will be pretty fired up. Should be a good one.

WMR
03-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Yeah they will be for sure.

How are you feeling about your Hoosiers?

BRM
03-05-2008, 01:56 PM
How are you feeling about your Hoosiers?

Not good but not necessarily bad. I don't see them doing much in the tournament, personally. Big Ten or NCAA.

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
BRM: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65923

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I've already responded to your misguided post in that thread.

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:10 PM
:lol: You're quick.

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Hoosier quick.

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I heard there is a growing grassroots campaign to bring back Mike Davis...

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Maybe as the equipment manager.

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Dictator for Life.

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Greenspan will probably hire Tommy Amaker.

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:20 PM
I think if they offered the job to Pearl he would take it in a flash.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:24 PM

:eek: What???

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:24 PM

It would be incredibly stupid of IU to not at least interview him. I'm not sure who I would prefer among the group of Pearl, Bennett, and Miller though.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
It would be incredibly stupid of IU to not at least interview him. I'm not sure who I would prefer among the group of Pearl, Bennett, and Miller though.

Pearl, absolutely.

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:27 PM
What a mess in Arizona!!!

Is Lute Olsen going senile???

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/03/04/arizona/index.html

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:28 PM
What do you think about that ad for the Colonel, dab?

Pretty cool, huh?

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:30 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/03/04/arizona/index.html

2 words: Kevin O'Neill... he's a controversy waiting to happen.

Perfect NBA assistant coach, awful college head coach. Brilliant guy. Terrible people person.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:30 PM
What do you think about that ad for the Colonel, dab?

Pretty cool, huh?

I can't believe they're honoring Tubby's recruits like that.

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Pearl, absolutely.

He'd probably be my top choice as well but unlike WMR, I don't see him leaving UT.

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:32 PM

:laugh:

Well done, my friend. Well done.

WMR
03-05-2008, 02:33 PM

Your family should disown you.

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I literally laughed out loud at that post. That was great!

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
He'd probably be my top choice as well but unlike WMR, I don't see him leaving UT.

Yeah... I don't see it either. If Tyler Smith stays in school, they'll be looooooooaded again next year.

He'll have some serious pieces to pick up at IU.

He may well flirt with IU pretty hard (I hear he's good at that) to get the Vols to open up the checkbooks and as flush as the UT athletic department is, they'll do it if it's a money issue.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I literally laughed out loud at that post. That was great!

I try... unlike Tubby did, just sitting around waiting for recruits to call him. That would never have happened if they'd hired Kelvin.

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:41 PM
He's already flirted a bit, according to some Hoosier fans. When asked about the IU rumors, he simply responded with "I like Bloomington". A friend of mine told me that. I didn't hear it personally. Apparently it was during an interview sometime after the Memphis game.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
How long has it been since there's been a true "uptempo" team in the Big 10? Last year's Buckeyes don't count.

Revering4Blue
03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
How long has it been since there's been a true "uptempo" team in the Big 10? Last year's Buckeyes don't count.

Dr. Tom Davis's Iowa teams.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Dr. Tom Davis's Iowa teams.

That's the best I could come up with also.

Which raises another good question... how long will it be before a big time program knocks on his son's door? (Keno Davis is the head coach at Drake, btw.)

BRM
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
That's the best I could come up with also.

Which raises another good question... how long will it be before a big time program knocks on his son's door? (Keno Davis is the head coach at Drake, btw.)

It's his first year as head coach. If he keeps them playing at this level, it won't take more than 2 or 3 years.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 02:56 PM
It's his first year as head coach. If he keeps them playing at this level, it won't take more than a 2 or 3 years.

True. To me, they're the best story in college basketball this year. Truly remarkable.

WVRed
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
True. To me, they're the best story in college basketball this year. Truly remarkable.

Somebody will do it as early as this year. It happened with Bruce Pearl at Wisconsin Milwaukee.

dabvu2498
03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Somebody will do it as early as this year. It happened with Bruce Pearl at Wisconsin Milwaukee.

He had a pretty good track record as a D2 head coach before UWM.

WMR
03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
YEAH BABY!!

11-5 might just have us in.

(Although I think we've got a great chance to finish 12-4 and beat Florida on Senior day)

WMR
03-05-2008, 09:19 PM
http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

macro
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM
http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

Very useful site! Thanks, WM. :thumbup:

WMR
03-05-2008, 11:12 PM
FLORIDA LOSES!!!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

WMR
03-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Florida may have just had their bubble burst.

Sea Ray
03-06-2008, 12:55 AM
YEAH BABY!!

11-5 might just have us in.

(Although I think we've got a great chance to finish 12-4 and beat Florida on Senior day)

11-5 has got to get you in. I have no doubt

cumberlandreds
03-06-2008, 07:55 AM

The crowd was pretty sedate for the most part. It really surprised me. They didn't get loud until USC made a run the 2nd half. What a game by Crawford! He was on fire. How about that one from about 40 feet he tried? USC even tried to guard him on that one. I'm not saying they are in yet but it's looking pretty good. A win Sunday should clinch it. UF is probably out after last night. Their SOS is really bad.

cumberlandreds
03-06-2008, 07:59 AM

This has to be one of the strangest things I have ever seen. I don't buy that Olsons divorce is the reason he took a leave of absence. I'm sure that type of thing takes its toll but something else is going on. Also O'Neill is known for being...well, abrasive is probably the right word . He won't last at Arizona,IMO.

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 08:05 AM
If Shan Foster isn't SEC POY after last night, there is no justice in the world.

durl
03-06-2008, 08:55 AM
FLORIDA LOSES!!!

But wouldn't it have been good for Florida to beat Tennessee? If they had (and if I'm looking at the standings correctly), Kentucky would still have a chance to tie for the top spot in the East.

Granted, Kentucky would have to beat Florida AND Tennessee would have to lose to LSU, but it could have happened.

macro
03-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Florida may have just had their bubble burst.

As much as I'd love to see that happen, Florida will make it in. They're 21-9 and their RPI isn't much lower than Kentucky's, and they're the two-time defending champs. I hope they prove me wrong.

cumberlandreds
03-06-2008, 09:10 AM
If Shan Foster isn't SEC POY after last night, there is no justice in the world.

Totally agree. That was unreal last night what he did. 9 for 9 from 3pt area is unheard of. But where was MSU's defense at the end? You absolutely cannot let Foster get a shot off at the end.
IMO, Foster should be a 1st team All-American too.

BRM
03-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Florida's RPI is 61 right now. A loss at Kentucky drops it further. I think they are in a bit of trouble.

I'm surprised to see Texas Tech at 49. Their SOS of # 3 no doubt helps their RPI. They may actually have a chance to get in as well.

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 09:13 AM
As much as I'd love to see that happen, Florida will make it in. They're 21-9 and their RPI isn't much lower than Kentucky's, and they're the two-time defending champs. I hope they prove me wrong.

Kentucky 17-11 (11-4 SEC)

RPI: 47
SOS: 13
vs. top 50: RPI 4-6
vs. top 100: 4-9
Road: 4-6
Last 12 games: 10-2
"Quality" wins: Vandy, UT, Arky, Ole Miss
Bad losses: Gardner Webb, San Diego

Florida 21-9 (8-7)

RPI: 61
SOS: 87
vs. top 50: RPI 2-6
vs. top 100: 3-8
Road: 3-5
Last 12 games: 6-6
"Quality" wins: Vandy, UK, Temple
Bad losses: LSU

UF's strength of schedule kills them. Those 21 wins are inflated when you consider that 9 of them came against teams 200+ in the RPI. They only played one true road game out of conference: @OSU.

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Totally agree. That was unreal last night what he did. 9 for 9 from 3pt area is unheard of. But where was MSU's defense at the end? You absolutely cannot let Foster get a shot off at the end.
IMO, Foster should be a 1st team All-American too.

I watched the highlights this morning. 29 points in the last 15:44. He hit 3 of em from 30' plus and hit 3 more with dudes draped all over him, including the game winner. I've never seen anything like it. What a way to leave your home gym.

Contrast that with Jamont Gordon having to leave the game with 27 seconds left in OT due to cramps.

joshnky
03-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Kentucky 17-11 (11-4 SEC)

RPI: 47
SOS: 13
vs. top 50: RPI 4-6
vs. top 100: 4-9
Road: 4-6
Last 12 games: 10-2
"Quality" wins: Vandy, UT, Arky, Ole Miss
Bad losses: Gardner Webb, San Diego

Florida 21-9 (8-7)

RPI: 61
SOS: 87
vs. top 50: RPI 2-6
vs. top 100: 3-8
Road: 3-5
Last 12 games: 6-6
"Quality" wins: Vandy, UK, Temple
Bad losses: LSU

UF's strength of schedule kills them. Those 21 wins are inflated when you consider that 9 of them came against teams 200+ in the RPI. They only played one true road game out of conference: @OSU.

JMO, but I think the UK-Florida game will serve as an elimination game. The winner will be in while the loser will likely need to reach the SEC championship to regain consideration. Given the similarities between the two, I think it would be difficult to put UK in over Florida if Florida holds a sweep over UK.

Joseph
03-06-2008, 09:44 AM
JMO, but I think the UK-Florida game will serve as an elimination game. The winner will be in while the loser will likely need to reach the SEC championship to regain consideration. Given the similarities between the two, I think it would be difficult to put UK in over Florida if Florida holds a sweep over UK.

I pretty much agree. UK has to beat Florida.

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 09:51 AM
As much as I've enjoyed watching Kentucky's resurgence and Vanderbilt having a fantastic season, it pains my soul to no end that UT won an SEC championship.

BRM
03-06-2008, 09:52 AM
As much as I've enjoyed watching Kentucky's resurgence and Vanderbilt having a fantastic season, it pains my soul to no end that UT won an SEC championship.

Will it make you feel better if the architect of that championship bolts for Bloomington this summer? I know it would make me feel much better. :)

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Will it make you feel better if the architect of that championship bolts for Bloomington this summer? I know it would make me feel much better. :)

Absolutely. It's going to help some that the primary building block of that championship won't be wearing an orange #5 next year.

BRM
03-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Lofton graduates. Pearl moves to Bloomington. All is well in Nashville.
:beerme:

Joseph
03-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Is this just random blabbing or sincere speculation?

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
BTW, a limited highlight package of the Vandy-MSU game is available for non-subscribers here: http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/030508aaa.html

Honestly, it's worth watching.

The "Memorial Magic" post on this site is worth reading as well: http://dailydore.blogspot.com/

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Is this just random blabbing or sincere speculation?

That "rumor" is hot and heavy. I'd say somewhere halfway between random and sincere.

BRM
03-06-2008, 10:09 AM
That "rumor" is hot and heavy. I'd say somewhere halfway between random and sincere.

That's where I'd put it.

Joseph
03-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Hadn't heard that, thanks guys.

WMR
03-06-2008, 10:21 AM
A 10 win SEC team has never been left out of the tournament. 11 wins?????

And you're trying to tell me that if Florida beats UK on Sunday THEY'RE in? No way. Their profile is nowhere close to matching Kentucky's at this point.

P.S. If Joe and Ramel each had had 4 years under Coach BCG they'd both be unquestioned draft picks and Joe would be hovering around lottery pick status.

WMR
03-06-2008, 10:31 AM
But wouldn't it have been good for Florida to beat Tennessee? If they had (and if I'm looking at the standings correctly), Kentucky would still have a chance to tie for the top spot in the East.

Granted, Kentucky would have to beat Florida AND Tennessee would have to lose to LSU, but it could have happened.

Possibly, but it was better for us that Florida lost in the grand scheme of things, going with what is most likely certain to happen in terms of Tennessee's last game.

I think people here are being WAYYY too 'kind' towards Florida's chances of making the big dance at this point. Their resume flat out sucks. Their strength of schedule is pathetic and their RPI is not tournament-caliber. I think last night was truly the last nail in their coffin. I don't think simply beating UK on Sunday would put them in. They would need to win at least 2 games in the SEC tournament, and even that would be iffy, IMO.

I think the Cats will get in even if they lost on Sunday and didn't win any games in the SEC tourney. If they lost on Sunday and won ONE game in the SEC tourney, they would definitely get in, IMO.

BRM
03-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I'll be shocked if Kentucky doesn't get in at this point. A win over Florida to give them 12 SEC wins makes them an absolute lock IMO. I think they are in even with a loss to Florida, honestly.

cumberlandreds
03-06-2008, 11:10 AM

And you're trying to tell me that if Florida beats UK on Sunday THEY'RE in? No way. Their profile is nowhere close to matching Kentucky's at this point.

P.S. If Joe and Ramel each had had 4 years under Coach BCG they'd both be unquestioned draft picks and Joe would be hovering around lottery pick status.

I agree with you. When you match up all those factors,RPI;SOS;wins against top 50 and 100;last 12 games,UK beats them in all of them. Most aren't even close. I think UF is almost at the point of having win out to get into the Tourney.

joshnky
03-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't think the historical figure holds much ground this year. I think we would all agree that the SEC is down this year in a big way. They're fifth in the RPI compared to first or second historically. You also have mid-major conferences like the Missouri Valley, West Coast Conference, and Moutain West that will likely get multiple bids.

I'm definately biased but if I was a UK fan I would feel much less nervous with a win on Saturday.

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Maybe I'm wrong here but I don't think the historical figure holds much ground this year. I think we would all agree that the SEC is down this year in a big way. They're fifth in the RPI compared to first or second historically. You also have mid-major conferences like the Missouri Valley, West Coast Conference, and Moutain West that will likely get multiple bids.

I'm definately biased but if I was a UK fan I would feel much less nervous with a win on Saturday.

Agreed. If UK loses to Florida and loses in the 1st round of the SEC tourney, they're 17-13. Not gonna get in with that record.

But I don't think either of those things will happen.

BRM
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Agreed. If UK loses to Florida and loses in the 1st round of the SEC tourney, they're 17-13. Not gonna get in with that record.

But I don't think either of those things will happen.

I don't think so either. Tubby's boys will get them at least two more wins. ;)

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't think so either. Tubby's boys will get them at least two more wins. ;)

I almost let out a similar response to this quote from WMR:

I'm feeling kinder and gentler after a big senior night win last night.

dabvu2498
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
UK fans should be rooting for these guys in their conference tourneys this coming week:

Butler (Horizon)
South Alabama (Sun Belt)
Kent St. (MAC)
Davidson (Southern)
Va. Commonwealth (Colonial)
St. Mary's or Gonzaga (WCC)
Drake or Ill. St. (MVC)

Sea Ray
03-06-2008, 01:03 PM

I agree. If UK loses twice to FL they can't expect a bid until after FL gets in

jmac
03-06-2008, 06:49 PM

They have truly made remarkable improvement.
One person commented today how for 3+ years, most UK fans wanted them to leave and now those same fans are saying " if only these two were coming back next year with Meeks/PP/ Jasper and the new recruits too"
Regardless of the Fla game :
Crawford/Bradley has kept this season from being a Rick Pitino like first year.( in other words 500 or worse)

dabvu2498
03-07-2008, 09:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3279307

Interesting article about the situation at Georgia. Dennis Felton is a hell of a coach. In a different situation, he'll be great. Not sure what it's going to take to get it done at UGa.

durl
03-07-2008, 09:25 AM

I'm really hoping to not turn this into a Tubby vs. Gillispie thing but you raise an interesting theory.

It seems that a lot of people believed (myself included) that Tubby was a good coach and a bad recruiter; that Tubby could take average players and make them a good team. After these months of watching Gillispie's team play, my thought is that Tubby was an average coach and an average recruiter.

For the past few seasons it seemed Kentucky's offense was nothing but 4 guys standing around the 3-point line passing the ball around while one guy tried to get open underneath, all the while hoping someone might finally get a good shot. Now they're more active without the ball. They really seem to work for the shot. I credit Gillispie with that change.

It seems that Bradley and Crawford have really blossomed under Gillispie. Is part of it a maturing process? Perhaps. Maybe it's because Gillispie managed to land a top-notch interior player that helps the outside guys do more. Either way, these previously inconsistent (perhaps lazy?) boys have become very solid players under Gillispie.

dabvu2498
03-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Maybe it's because Gillispie managed to land a top-notch interior player that helps the outside guys do more.

Randolph Morris wasn't a top-notch interior player?

durl
03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Randolph Morris wasn't a top-notch interior player?

Good point. Then I guess it's just Gillispie's approach that has helped these guys improve.

WMR
03-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Pat Forde names his SEC Coach of the Year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3275815&sportCat=ncb

dabvu2498
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Pat Forde names his SEC Coach of the Year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3275815&sportCat=ncb

He also named his SEC POY. :rolleyes:

WMR
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Somehow I knew you'd pick up on that.

dabvu2498
03-07-2008, 10:39 AM

Somehow I knew you'd pick up on that.

Yeah. I love Tyler Smith's game as much as anyone, but to pick him over Foster, J. Gordon, maybe even Crawford, is kinda silly.

Can't disagree on his Coach of the Year pick.

cumberlandreds
03-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Tyler Smith as SEC POY is just dumb. It has to be Foster and no one else is that close,IMO.

BRM
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree with his Big Ten picks. As much as it pains me to admit, Matt Painter has done a superb job at Purdue. His SEC POY pick is pathetic.

dabvu2498
03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I agree with his Big Ten picks. As much as it pains me to admit, Matt Painter has done a superb job at Purdue. His SEC POY pick is pathetic.

I agree with most of his other selections, though I'd go with Brey as coach of the year in the Big East. I'd give coach of the year in C-USA to Mike Davis. And I'm not just saying that to fire you up, BRM.

BRM
03-07-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree with most of his other selections, though I'd go with Brey as coach of the year in the Big East. I'd give coach of the year in C-USA to Mike Davis. And I'm not just saying that to fire you up, BRM.

I didn't even look at the C-USA picks. Davis, huh? What about Tom Penders?

dabvu2498
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
I didn't even look at the C-USA picks. Davis, huh? What about Tom Penders?

Yeah. Either/or. Forde gave it to Calipari, which is kinda like giving Santa Ana General of the Year for his performance at the Alamo.

BRM
03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah. Either/or. Forde gave it to Calipari, which is kinda like giving Santa Ana General of the Year for his performance at the Alamo.

Calipari? OK. He won a very weak conference with one of the most talented teams in the country. Good pick. :rolleyes:

macro
03-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Good point. Then I guess it's just Gillispie's approach that has helped these guys improve.

...and I think this is what some of the horrible early-season losses were all about.

WMR
03-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Lunardi has UK off the bubble.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

WVRed
03-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Lunardi has UK off the bubble.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

A 10 seed? That is being generous.

I would have went with a 12 or even 13.

If we did draw a 10, I wouldnt mind playing first round against USC. I would actually have more confidence in Ramel Bradley going against OJ Mayo.

WMR
03-08-2008, 04:16 PM
CONGRATULATIONS KENTUCKY WILDCATS FOR CLINCHING 2ND PLACE IN THE SEC EAST!!!

Along with a first-round bye in the SEC tournament in Atlanta.

A truly amazing turnaround from the way this season began.

Congrats Cats, you earned every bit of it.

joshnky
03-08-2008, 05:58 PM
This UCLA-Cal game is pretty amazing. That last second shot by Shipp from behind the backboard was impossible. What a finish!

jmac
03-08-2008, 07:21 PM
A 10 seed? That is being generous.

I would have went with a 12 or even 13.

If we did draw a 10, I wouldnt mind playing first round against USC. I would actually have more confidence in Ramel Bradley going against OJ Mayo.

I actually heard a guy who was a NCAA analyst (dont remember name) on espn radio yesterday saying he had UK making it as a 8 or 9 seed.
It's funny how a lot of people have them as a bubble team but "if" they make it, they list them as around a 8-12 seed.

Chip R
03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I actually heard a guy who was a NCAA analyst (dont remember name) on espn radio yesterday saying he had UK making it as a 8 or 9 seed.
It's funny how a lot of people have them as a bubble team but "if" they make it, they list them as around a 8-12 seed.

That's how it works. The 12-16 seeds are usually reserved for the teams who are from the MEAC or the Sun Belt or the Mid Continent. Most of the 12-16 seeds will have already made the tournament because they won their conference championships on the Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday before. By the time a bubble team like UK is finished with their conference tournament, the 12-16 seeds have already been put in the bracket.

WVRed
03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
That's how it works. The 12-16 seeds are usually reserved for the teams who are from the MEAC or the Sun Belt or the Mid Continent. Most of the 12-16 seeds will have already made the tournament because they won their conference championships on the Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday before. By the time a bubble team like UK is finished with their conference tournament, the 12-16 seeds have already been put in the bracket.

Moreso 13-16, although Lunardi has Maryland as a 13. Twelve seeds are generally the teams who have to scrape by to get in.

WMR
03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Any time Dickie V mentions a previous "Duke great" tonight, take a shot/drink.

Chip R
03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Any time Dickie V mentions a previous "Duke great" tonight, take a shot/drink.

I don't have enough booze in the house for that.

WMR
03-08-2008, 08:19 PM
This UCLA-Cal game is pretty amazing. That last second shot by Shipp from behind the backboard was impossible. What a finish!

Amazing, the refs give UCLA two games in a row.

joshnky
03-08-2008, 10:06 PM

I'm not a UCLA fan by any means and I was actually cheering for the upset but that was a 50/50 call at the end and I'm fine with the way the refs let it go. Don't try to take anything away from UCLA on this. They played amazing basketball the last 2 minutes of that game and the game winner by Shipp was one of the most impressive shots I've seen all year.

WMR
03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
What about against Stanford? That was one of the cleanest blocks I've seen in my entire life.

Javy Pornstache
03-09-2008, 01:00 AM
SEC Tournament brackets, games will be played in the order they're listed, Thursday and Friday's games are 1pm, 3:15, 7:30, 9:45. Semifinal Saturday is 1 and 3:15, Championship Sunday will be at 1pm.

W4 LSU vs E5 South Carolina
E3 Vanderbilt vs W6 Auburn
E4 Florida vs W5 Alabama
W3 Mississippi vs E6 Georgia

E1 Tennessee vs LSU/SC
W2 Arkansas vs Vandy/Aub
W1 Mississippi State vs Fla/Bama
E2 Kentucky vs Miss/UGa

Tenn/LSU/SC vs Ark/Vandy/Aub
MSU/Fla/Bama vs UK/Miss/UGa

Championship

WMR
03-09-2008, 02:17 PM
How good does it feel to keep the Gaytors out of the NCAA tournament?

DAMN GOOD.

PUNCH THOSE DANCE CARDS, BABYYYYYYYYyyyyyyy

joshnky
03-09-2008, 02:21 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, Kentucky did what they had to do and they're in. They took advantage of a down year in the SEC and won the games they had to win. Really a nice turnaround.

I don't think they'll do anything but I guess just squeezing in is enough for UK fans.;) (I couldn't be too nice)

improbus
03-09-2008, 03:59 PM

Can I ask a dumb question? Why can't players try to shoot from behind the backboard? Rules are meant to negative definitive advantages. How is shooting from behind the backboard an advantage? All of us who have played HORSE can attest to that. Dumb rule.

jmac
03-09-2008, 06:35 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, Kentucky did what they had to do and they're in. They took advantage of a down year in the SEC and won the games they had to win. Really a nice turnaround.

I don't think they'll do anything but I guess just squeezing in is enough for UK fans.;) (I couldn't be too nice)
I can only speak for myself but Yes, this season, just squeezing in is enough for me.
I think they can win a game or two in the SEC and I would like to see them win at least one in the NCAA.
It gets Billy G off on the right foot plus helps immensly in recruiting.
For this team to do what they have done without Meeks and now PP is truly good work by the guys.
Crawford/Bradley have played like fans have wanted them to play for a long time.
Jasper has made a bigger contribution than I ever thought possible. Stevenson has developed greatly this season as well.
UK certainly needs more recruits to add scoring punch and depth and I am sure Billy G will get that eventually but for now, 12-4 in what is called a "down" year in the SEC is better than the 9-7 we have been used to.
Most would agree that Tennessee/ Vandy are certainly top 20 caliber teams and UK went 2-2 vs them.
Those 2 losses(Gradner Webb/SD) early make a world of difference now.
20-9 would look a whole lot better than 18-11 but still, I'll take it with this current roster.

WMR
03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Joe Lunardi now says that UK is an absolute LOCK to make the NCAA tournament, regardless of what happens in the SEC tournament.

Jay Bilas should feel free to issue his mea culpa/apology ASAP.

WMR
03-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I hope you're not down on Jasper any longer, rocko.

jmac
03-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Joe Lunardi now says that UK is an absolute LOCK to make the NCAA tournament, regardless of what happens in the SEC tournament.

Jay Bilas should feel free to issue his mea culpa/apology ASAP.

Has Bilas said something lately?
I havent seen him too much in the last couple of weeks.

WMR
03-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah, he's been hating on UK big time. He came out with this early asinine opinion and has refused to alter it. He's normally a decent commentator, but he has really dug his heels in saying UK's not going to make the tourney and he's looking dumber and dumber the longer he refuses to admit that he was wrong.

WMR
03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
WOW!!!

BRM, nice post buddy! I guess we can let you on the bandwagon... might want to keep this quiet at the next Hoosier convention, however...

http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=112127298&sid=942&tid=112127298&style=1

I couldn't agree with you more! Welcome aboard!

WMR
03-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Josh's favorite team just beat St. Mary's to make it to the finals of the WCC championship. :ughmamoru

BRM
03-10-2008, 09:01 AM
WOW!!!

BRM, nice post buddy! I guess we can let you on the bandwagon... might want to keep this quiet at the next Hoosier convention, however...

http://indiana.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=726&mid=112127298&sid=942&tid=112127298&style=1

I couldn't agree with you more! Welcome aboard!

I agree with the statement "IU is a disappointment waiting to happen". One change though, they are already disappointing. They haven't played well in quite awhile. I can't see them doing much in the Big Ten or NCAA tournaments.

WMR
03-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the winner's table.

BRM
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Welcome to the winner's table.

You lost me on this one.

WMR
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
You're a UK fan now.

BRM
03-10-2008, 09:08 AM
You're a UK fan now.

I'm about to hurl...

WMR
03-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm about to hurl...

Hehehehe... c'mon, if you made it through that last Hoosier game without puking, you can stomach this. ;)

BRM
03-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Hehehehe... c'mon, if you made it through that last Hoosier game without puking, you can stomach this. ;)

I only made it through that game with the help of several 12 ounce cans of a certain Anheuser-Busch product. ;)

BRM
03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
The latest Bubble Watch at ESPN. This must be from Saturday because it mentions Kentucky having to beat Florida.

It's Championship Week. Selection Sunday is just around the corner, so let's get straight to the updated look at the at-large picture.

Here are the teams that are "locks" or "should be in"s from the six biggest conferences:

ACC: Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, Miami
Big East: Georgetown, UConn, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, Marquette, West Virginia
Big Ten: Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State
Big 12: Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Baylor
Pac-10: UCLA, Stanford, Washington State, USC
SEC: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State

Assuming there are no surprise automatic-bid winners from these leagues, that means 21 of the 34 at-large bids are accounted for, leaving 13 up for grabs.

Next, three leagues are in very good shape to get two teams in:

WCC: Gonzaga, Saint Mary's
Missouri Valley: Drake, Illinois State
Mountain West: BYU and (right now) UNLV

That would leave 10 at-large bids. That number could drop, though, if any of the following teams don't win their conference tournaments:

C-USA: Memphis (lock)
Horizon: Butler (lock)
Sun Belt: South Alabama (should be in)
MAC: Kent State (should be in)
A-10: Xavier (lock)
CAA: VCU (bubble candidate)
SoCon: Davidson (bubble candidate)

The most likely scenario right now is that seven or eight bids will remain, assuming two or three of those teams won't win their respective conference tourneys.

From the remaining teams, Arizona, Arizona State, UMass, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Kentucky look to be best-positioned right now, but most of those teams face extremely important quarterfinal games in their conference tourneys, so that picture could change in a hurry.

If all those teams do hang on to their current position, that leaves a maximum of four bids -- and more likely just one or two -- for the following group of teams (listed in alphabetical order): Dayton, Florida, Houston, Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, Ohio State, Oregon, Saint Joe's, Syracuse, Temple, UAB, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Western Kentucky. Davidson and VCU also are possibilities.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=73

Sea Ray
03-10-2008, 02:27 PM
As a Tennessee alumnus I've enjoyed this year immensely but watch out for Kentucky. How is it we have our best year ever, Kentucky has a down year including losing their best player and my Vols need to eeck out a two pt win at home to seal the conference championship?

The Wildcats not only will make the tournament, they'll give any team all they can handle. If they don't outright upset someone they'll surely put a scare in 'em. I'm thinking they'll be a 7th seed at this point due to the last 10-15 games criteria the committee uses

dabvu2498
03-10-2008, 02:31 PM
As a Tennessee alumnus I've enjoyed this year immensely but watch out for Kentucky. How is it we have our best year ever, Kentucky has a down year including losing their best player and my Vols need to eeck out a two pt win at home to seal the conference championship?

I've come to the conculsion that the Vols aren't real interested in guarding people.

dabvu2498
03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Rivals.com makes their all-SEC selections: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=Akketkn5Bj0iL_xGHiSz8HTevbYF?slug=rivals-206167&prov=rivals&type=lgns

cumberlandreds
03-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Rivals.com makes their all-SEC selections: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=Akketkn5Bj0iL_xGHiSz8HTevbYF?slug=rivals-206167&prov=rivals&type=lgns

I would have put Crawford over Gaines but he was probably afraid to put three UK players on his all SEC team.

dabvu2498
03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I would have put Crawford over Gaines but he was probably afraid to put three UK players on his all SEC team.

Yeah. That's a tough call. Actually, on my personal team, I would've had Crawford 1st team, Bradley 2nd, Gaines 2nd, and Downey honorable mention. That's just me.

Gaines was soooo good this year, without any supporting cast to speak of. The same could be said of Downey, but Gaines was much more versitile.

Looking at those lists, I'd rather coach and play with the all-freshman team than the first team. That frosh team is nasty.

BRM
03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Looking at those lists, I'd rather coach and play with the all-freshman team than the first team. That frosh team is nasty.

No kidding. That's a solid bunch.

dabvu2498
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
No kidding. That's a solid bunch.

And consider this... 24 guys named today as Wooden Award Finalists... 7 frosh out of those 24... none of the 5 from the SEC named.

That's an incredible amount of talent in this year's freshman class.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=3&url_subchannel_id=&url_article_id=10641&change_well_id=2

WVRed
03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
UPDATE:

Kentucky has landed the services of Juco 6'6 PG Kevin Galloway. He had originally committed to a Pac-10 school but backed out.

WMR
03-10-2008, 11:13 PM
YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

Huge commitment for Billy G!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps the best Juco player in the country right now.

Sea Ray
03-10-2008, 11:31 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the Vols aren't real interested in guarding people.

Well, whatever they've done has resulted in a banner year. They've won a lot of very tough road games. You don't beat the likes of Memphis, W. Va, Gonzaga and Xavier on the road without guarding a few people. RPI ranks UT's schedule as the toughest in the nation. If you play the toughest schedule in the nation and you only lose 3 games, that's pretty incredible.

WMR
03-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Josh how do you prefer your CROW prepared?

San Diego beat Gonzaga tonight to win the WCC championship and punch their ticket to the Big Dance. As well as push their RPI to 97.

C'mon buddy, do you like CROW pie or CROW stew? CROW sandwiches?

WMR
03-11-2008, 12:55 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1436546

joshnky
03-11-2008, 06:34 AM
Sorry but this is a rediculous statement. Upsets happen and you should consider the totallity of a teams season. San Diego is 115 in the rpi with a record of 17-13. They were awful early in the season (when UK played them) and even lost to Cal St Bakersfield (rpi of 319) at home a week and a half later. They've improved to the point of being the third best team in the WCC (not exactly a lofty goal) but they weren't playing this well when UK played them. The only top 150 teams they have beaten are UK and St. Mary's (at home). That is a bad team.

I don't have any crow to eat. The bolded statement above still rings true and it was still a bad loss. They are playing better right now than I thought they were (truthfully I never watch the WCC) but it should be pointed out that they played the conference tourney at home.

By the way, the bubble just shrunk by one more team. I think UK is close to a lock but I would still want a big bubble if I were you.

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Coaches all-SEC selections made:

POY: Foster
Co-COY: Pearl and Gillispie

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=3&url_article_id=10650&change_well_id=2

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:10 AM
The coaches got it right. Although I'd probably give COY to Billy G. outright.

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't have any crow to eat. The bolded statement above still rings true and it was still a bad loss. They are playing better right now than I thought they were (truthfully I never watch the WCC) but it should be pointed out that they played the conference tourney at home.

By the way, the bubble just shrunk by one more team. I think UK is close to a lock but I would still want a big bubble if I were you.

Whatever you say.... their win last night catapulted UK up an additional 6 spots in the RPI.

UK is off the bubble. If anyone got hurt/screwed by these dogs winning their conference games it is teams like Ohio State, Florida, Syracuse etc. etc.

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Why do more than five players make the All-SEC teams??

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Isn't Syracuse ahead of Kentucky in the RPI?

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:16 AM

Well, outside of the "Ivy League of the South", the rest of the SEC is not too bright?

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Yeah 46 vs. 49 but they're only 9-9 in the Big East. They need to win a game or possibly two in the Big East tourney to get in. (I think they're the closest team to being off the bubble, FWIW)

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Well, outside of the "Ivy League of the South", the rest of the SEC is not too bright?

I saw your two best recruits for next season re-opened their recruitments... sorry buddy. :evil:

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:25 AM
It looks that way. This is from today's Courier-Journal.

It looks like the first Indiana signee has started the process to get out of his letter-of-intent. Cincinnati Harmony Prep guard Terrell Holloway told John Decker of HoosierNation.com that he's still considering Indiana. "It gives me an opportunity to look around and at the end of the day figure out what school is best for me. I plan to explore other schools, but keep Indiana as an option." He's finished with his season at Harmony and averaged 14 points and seven assists a game.

Another Indiana signee - Devin Ebanks - had a meeting with IU coach Dan Dakich, assistant coach Ray McCallum, his prep school coach and family on Monday and will travel to Indianapolis this weekend for the Big Ten Tournament and a meeting with officials from the Hoosiers athletic department, according to our friend up East Adam Zagoria. It's likely that Ebanks will ask the IU officials at that time for permission to visit other schools. Memphis has been raised as a possibility. Zagoria speculate that Ebanks might want to visit Memphis, Rutgers, Texas and one other possible school.

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Isn't Syracuse ahead of Kentucky in the RPI?

So is Arizona... :)

joshnky
03-11-2008, 11:35 AM

It seems like most conferences have more than five on each all conference team. I believe the Big East has eight. Maybe they've taken to heart the "build everyone up" theory of education and are moving towards everyone getting recognition. You wouldn't want to hurt someone's self esteem would you? ;)

Thirty players on the top three teams and everyone else gets honorable mention

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
That's alright. Billy Donovan's Gators are going to catch fire and win the SEC tourney, taking away another spot.

:all_cohol

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Before last night's activities, Lunardi had UK in as a 9 vs. K State in the 1st round.

Other 9's: South Al, Baylor, and St. Mary's

9 seems pretty generous to me.

His "last in" is Arizona St. at 13.

What if UK loses to UGa?

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:40 AM
UK vs Kansas State in the 1st round? Good matchup.

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:41 AM
That's alright. Billy Donovan's Gators are going to catch fire and win the SEC tourney, taking away another spot.

:all_cohol

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see UF and UTK in the finals.

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
UK vs Kansas State in the 1st round? Good matchup.

With the winner playing Memphis. :eek:

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:42 AM
He's got Ohio State, Syracuse, and Arizona all in as well. Better hope there are no more upsets this week.

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Before last night's activities, Lunardi had UK in as a 9 vs. K State in the 1st round.

Other 9's: South Al, Baylor, and St. Mary's

9 seems pretty generous to me.

His "last in" is Arizona St. at 13.

What if UK loses to UGa?

You think GA will beat Ole Miss?

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
It wouldn't surprise me at all to see UF and UTK in the finals.

UTK? Is that Tubby's Kats?

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:44 AM
He's got Ohio State, Syracuse, and Arizona all in as well. Better hope there are no more upsets this week.

I can't imagine Arizona making it without getting a couple wins in their tourney.

Tonight root for Butler and Western Ky.

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Tonight root for Butler and Western Ky.

Why? To help UK's case? Surely you jest.

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:45 AM
You think GA will beat Ole Miss?

They very well could.

UTK is The University of Tennessee at Knoxville.

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:46 AM
They very well could.

UTK is The University of Tennessee at Knoxville.

I like my version better. ;)

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Why? To help UK's case? Surely you jest.

I figured an Indiana guy would root for Butler.

Root for WKU because of:
http://www.bofads.com/pictures/bigred.bmp

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:50 AM
UK is going to create some real match-up problems for teams next year...

their starting five could end up going 6'7, 6'5, 6'6, 6'10, 6'8

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I figured an Indiana guy would root for Butler.

Oh, I definitely root for Butler. But that's just because they are an Indiana school and I like them. Not because their winning helps the cases of teams like Kentucky and Syracuse. That's the negative side of the equation.

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:52 AM

The 6-8 guy must be Mark Coury.

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:52 AM

Jodie Meeks not a starter?

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Kevin Galloway, Jodie Meeks, Derrick Jasper, Perry Stevenson, Patrick Patterson

dabvu2498
03-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Well done. I didn't know Michael Porter is 6'7.

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:55 AM

That's the big debate amongst UK fans... why in the world Coury continues to start. Heh. Honestly, I think it is so Coach can get 4 minutes or so b/f going to Perry to avoid fouls... plus he evidently enjoys getting the ball to start the 2nd half, b/c Coury will never win a jump ball in his life.

BRM
He must be expecting Porter to hit a growth spurt this summer.

WMR
Well done. I didn't know Michael Porter is 6'7.

You must have missed the news that the best PG juco in the nation committed to UK last night.

BRM
03-11-2008, 11:56 AM
That's the big debate amongst UK fans... why in the world Coury continues to start. Heh. Honestly, I think it is so Coach can get 4 minutes or so b/f going to Perry to avoid fouls... plus he evidently enjoys getting the ball to start the 2nd half, b/c Coury will never win a jump ball in his life.

You guys just don't appreciate the greatness that is Mark Coury. He's so underrated in Lexington. Personally, I think Billy should give him 30 minutes a game.

WMR
03-11-2008, 11:58 AM
You guys just don't appreciate the greatness that is Mark Coury. He's so underrated in Lexington. Personally, I think Billy should give him 30 minutes a game.

Plus I think he practices exactly how Coach wants his players to practice.

FutureRedsGM
03-11-2008, 11:59 AM
You must have missed the news that the best PG juco in the nation committed to UK last night.

WMR, where can I find a good write up on this guy? I checked a couple sites this morning and they are listing him as a small forward / swing man. Regardless of position, it's great news that Billy G is reloading already.

dabvu2498

Nah... I've read the thread.

I also know that averaging 8.7 ppg at the College of Southern Idaho is a long way from starting in the SEC.

http://www.njcaa.org/schmain.cfm?sid=4&divid=1&gender=m&slid=2&menu=11&cid=1486&seasonselect=391&schmenu=4&teamid=63972

BRM

I heard he doesn't play a lick of defense.

BRM
03-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Nah... I've read the thread.

I also know that averaging 8.7 ppg at the College of Southern Idaho is a long way from starting in the SEC.

http://www.njcaa.org/schmain.cfm?sid=4&divid=1&gender=m&slid=2&menu=11&cid=1486&seasonselect=391&schmenu=4&teamid=63972

He couldn't cut it at USC either. He's a bust.