PDA

View Full Version : HD Dvd player

NoCalRed
10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
With some recent talk about HD tv's and wether should buy a HD or Blue Ray player I thought this news might get some interest.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Kmart/High-Def_Retailing/Kmart_Goes_HD_DVD_Toshiba_Says_Recent_Price_Cuts_R etail-Driven/1129

Wal mart is also selling these units, but figured more people would rather go to Kmart.

Anyway these are HD players for under $200 while they do not go to 1080p they will go 720p and look really sharp. I believe AVS has a review up on their site, haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I understand it received a good review.

Ibleedblue
11-01-2007, 01:29 AM
you may as well flush your money down the toilet before you buy an hddvd player. it wont be around much longer.

NoCalRed
11-01-2007, 02:07 AM
you may as well flush your money down the toilet before you buy an hddvd player. it wont be around much longer.

If you are referring to the battle between blue ray and hd, then perhaps. That thought did cross my mind while reading this, but for one it's not a for sure thing yet and two I didn't say I bought the device. It was just something I saw while doing some reading and I know there has been some talk here among folks on which to get if any at one time so I thought I would share what I saw.

Also if you had cared to read the specifications on the player before commenting you would have noticed that it is also a scaler device meaning it will play standard dvd's up to 720p. Somehting to keep in mind if you have a large standard dvd collection already. The quality of the player is very nice for the price.

KronoRed
11-01-2007, 02:13 AM
No need to worry that HDDVD will go away, both formats will survive.

WMR
11-01-2007, 02:56 AM
No need to worry that HDDVD will go away, both formats will survive.

Exactly. I was thinking about this tonight, in fact.

We are living in such a tech-crazy culture, there is enough of a market out there for both of these players to survive. Furthermore, each player has enough studios in their respective "corners" to survive this "war."

Reds Fanatic
11-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Wal-Mart is going to selling an HD DVD player this Friday for $98.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/walmart110107.htm

roundboy22
11-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Will an HD Dvd player upconvert a regular movie that is not in HD format. I have an upconvert player now and I think it does a pretty good job but I have been wanting an HD player.

Reds Fanatic
11-01-2007, 11:33 AM
Will an HD Dvd player upconvert a regular movie that is not in HD format. I have an upconvert player now and I think it does a pretty good job but I have been wanting an HD player.
Yes it will upconvert all regular DVDs.

SteelSD
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Wal-Mart is going to selling an HD DVD player this Friday for $98.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/walmart110107.htm

I hope this "format war" never ends. Both camps are literally giving stuff away in order to hook the consumer. A $98.00 HD-DVD player (even if it only outputs 1080i) is enough to get me to go format-neutral. Add in the five free HD-DVD offer located here:

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/index.php?page=techspecs

That's like getting the player for free. I've also heard that Sears will be selling the Toshiba HD-A3 for $169.00 on Black Friday. I've seen that model at Best Buy and it comes packaged with two HD-DVD's (one being "300").

George Foster
11-02-2007, 12:14 AM
I just purchased a pretty nice HD 1080i television.

I found out something after I purchased it. Direct TV, Dish, or my local cable, only sends the signal in 720i. I have Dish network. The local channels are only in analog. I put up an outside antenna, and now I receive all the network channels and some other cool channels in 1080i...for free.

My local CBS station still only sends it out to me in 720i....but still pretty nice. 1080i on NBC is unbelievable.

We are still at the mercy of our providers(cable, direct tv, etc) If they don't send the signal in 1080i, it does not matter.

I won't buy a blue ray until you can rent the vast majority of new releases in "blue ray disc." Right now at my movie dvd store just a few are offered in blue-ray.

WMR
11-02-2007, 12:15 AM
No 1080p?

Ibleedblue
11-02-2007, 12:46 AM
Exactly. I was thinking about this tonight, in fact.

We are living in such a tech-crazy culture, there is enough of a market out there for both of these players to survive. Furthermore, each player has enough studios in their respective "corners" to survive this "war." HDDVD has 2 studios, Blu has 5. Blu is also outselling hddvd's 2 to 1 in the states and more then that worldwide. HDDVD didn't even outsell blu ray movies the week of the transformers HDDVD exclusive release. HDDVD will be gone by next christmas.

RBA
11-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Wal-Mart was probably sold out for you this morning. But you can get it at Best Buy Business shipped to you....

http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/US/adirect/bestbuy?cmd=catProductDetail&showAddButton=true&productID=BB10724640
for $99.99 and use coupon code: SURV7DAYS for 10 percent off. You will have to pay shipping however.

ALSO REBATE: http://www.fatwallet.com/redirect/bounce.php?afsrc=1&url=http://www.toshibadirect.com/content/pc/b2c/downloads/rebates/5freeHDDVDs.pdf

SteelSD
11-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Well that was easy. I showed up to one of my local Wal-Marts at 8:05 AM and the parking lot was nearly empty. Walked in and grabbed one from a palatte that still had about 15-20 units. Two other guys did the same, but there was no rush or scrambling for product.

Watching Transformers high-def goodness right now. The wife will be grumpy considering the amount of tech I've purchased over the last couple of months, but at a price point of $98.00 I'd rather ask for forgiveness than permission.

cincy jacket
11-02-2007, 03:19 PM
I had class this morning and by the time I got there Wal-Mart was out. Circuit City is selling them online right now for 129.99. They even have the A3 for 199.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-HD-DVD-Player-HDA2/sem/rpsm/oid/169466/catOid/-12872/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

durl
11-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I just purchased a pretty nice HD 1080i television.

I found out something after I purchased it. Direct TV, Dish, or my local cable, only sends the signal in 720i. I have Dish network. The local channels are only in analog. I put up an outside antenna, and now I receive all the network channels and some other cool channels in 1080i...for free.

My local CBS station still only sends it out to me in 720i....but still pretty nice. 1080i on NBC is unbelievable.

We are still at the mercy of our providers(cable, direct tv, etc) If they don't send the signal in 1080i, it does not matter.

I won't buy a blue ray until you can rent the vast majority of new releases in "blue ray disc." Right now at my movie dvd store just a few are offered in blue-ray.

A couple of quick clarifications:

- HD resolutions are 720p, 1080i, and 1080p. The only current sources for 1080p are HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs.

Directv (the only one I can speak with first-hand knowledge) relays the exact line resolution as the network provides to them. So ESPN-HD will be transmitted in 720p, HD-Net will be transmitted in 1080i. If a provider carries an HD channel, I'm 99.999999% positive they'll do the same thing.

- Most TVs available today won't actually display a 720p signal. It will most likely convert it to 1080i unless you set up your TV to display it differently.

Reds Fanatic
11-02-2007, 08:10 PM
I just went to Wal-mart thinking they would be sold out and there were still several left so I bought 2 one for each of my HD TVs. By the time you get the value of 5 free HD DVDs with the special offer going on now these are basically free at the $98 price.

SteelSD
11-03-2007, 01:08 AM
I just went to Wal-mart thinking they would be sold out and there were still several left so I bought 2 one for each of my HD TVs. By the time you get the value of 5 free HD DVDs with the special offer going on now these are basically free at the $98 price.

Even with my own town's slow start, it's amazing that you got those that late in the day. I've been checking in at avsforum.com and that seems to be how things have been going. In some areas, they sold out in minutes and in others the players have been sitting out all day.

Strange.

WMR
11-03-2007, 01:42 AM
HDDVD has 2 studios, Blu has 5. Blu is also outselling hddvd's 2 to 1 in the states and more then that worldwide. HDDVD didn't even outsell blu ray movies the week of the transformers HDDVD exclusive release. HDDVD will be gone by next christmas.

From Wikipedia...
HD DVD Promotion Group Member List contains the main promoters of HD DVD, namely Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, RCA, Kenwood, Intel, Venturer Electronics and Memory-Tech Corporation. The HD DVD format is also non-exclusively supported by Acer, Asus, HP, Hitachi Maxell, LG, Lite On, Onkyo, Meridian, Samsung,[57] and Alpine.

In terms of major studios in North America, HD DVD is currently exclusively backed by Universal Studios (including subsidiaries Focus Features and Rogue Pictures), Paramount Pictures (including Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies, MTV Films, DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation), The Weinstein Company (including Dimension Films), and First Look Studios.

The format is non-exclusively backed by Warner Bros. Pictures (it should be noted that a number of Warner's titles—Batman Begins, Constantine, Troy (excluding Troy: Director's Cut), V for Vendetta, The Perfect Storm, Poseidon, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, The Matrix Trilogy—are HD DVD exclusive at the present) and New Line Cinema All catalog titles will be released simultaneously in both formats), HBO, and Image Entertainment (including the Discovery Channel),[61] Magnolia Pictures,[62] Brentwood Home Video, Ryko, Koch/Goldhil Entertainment.[63]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hd-dvd#Corporate_and_industry_support

LOTS of heavy-hitters in that group with VERY DEEP pockets. I'm sticking by my prediction: both formats will survive, mainly because audiophiles will keep the format war going in a game of brinksmanship, willingly purchasing BOTH a blu-ray player AND a HD-DVD player, until the HD-DVD/BluRay combo-players reach an affordable price leading to the two sides reaching an uneasy peace with one another.

deltachi8
11-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I ordered the Toshiba from Best Buy this week for $99 + tax & shipping. Early visit from Santa to me.

JaxRed
11-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Darn wish I'd seen this yesterday. Prices like this may just win the war for HD-DVD.

WMR
11-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey Jax, have you checked the circuitcity.com website? They may still have their internet deal @ 129 going on.

GAC
11-03-2007, 08:02 PM
How many of today's DVD movies are coming out in HD?

Also - you also have to utilize and HDMI cable don't you, when hooking the DVD player to your HD TV?

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
How many of today's DVD movies are coming out in HD?

Nearly all "New Release" type movies and a BUNCH of older "classic" titles.

RFS62
11-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Snagged one online at Circuit City for 125.

Should have bought two, just checked again and they say not available for internet purchase.

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Check out this website, GAC.

www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com

Very, very cool website.

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Snagged one online at Circuit City for 125.

Should have bought two, just checked again and they say not available for internet purchase.

RFS watching movies in hi def??? ;)

You know they don't broadcast an hd signal in black and white, don'tcha?? ;) ;)

GAC
11-03-2007, 08:42 PM
I've got a Sony 55" Wega LCD HDTV,model KDF-E55A20. I really like the TV, but sadly enough, my cable provider (Charter Communications) does not broadcast anything in Hi-Def, and currently has no plains to do so in the near future. So my wife tells me it kinda defeats the purpose in having a HD TV doesn't it, if you can't utilize it?

But we rent alot of DVD movies. So I'm figuring that until I switch over to Directv I can at least watch HD movies by buying a HD DVD player. Makes sense huh? ;)

But that is why I also am asking about the HDMI cable. You also need that too don't you?

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Well, you can technically be watching a movie in high-definition with component cables. However, you really want to be using HDMI. Sort of like buying a Ferrari and then putting bald tires on it.

Also: Don't forget about upconversion. It's worth getting the player for that alone. Even movies that aren't HD will be upconverted to "near-HD" quality.

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Your cable provider doesn't offer HD-programming??? Wow, that is bizarre.

Are they a regional company?

I dunno how they expect for their company to survive w/o some sort of plan in place to begin the transition to at least SOME HD broadcasting.

Reds Fanatic
11-03-2007, 09:25 PM
I've got a Sony 55" Wega LCD HDTV,model KDF-E55A20. I really like the TV, but sadly enough, my cable provider (Charter Communications) does not broadcast anything in Hi-Def, and currently has no plains to do so in the near future. So my wife tells me it kinda defeats the purpose in having a HD TV doesn't it, if you can't utilize it?

But we rent alot of DVD movies. So I'm figuring that until I switch over to Directv I can at least watch HD movies by buying a HD DVD player. Makes sense huh? ;)

But that is why I also am asking about the HDMI cable. You also need that too don't you?
You can either hook these up with HDMI cables or component cables but like WilyMo said the HDMI connection is better if your TV has the connection.

JaxRed
11-04-2007, 12:53 AM
As a matter of fact I did go out and get the Circuit City $129 player. I had to also check that Netflix does HD-DVD (they do both) !!

One of the reasons was that I pondered whether to by an upconvert DVD player as a stopgap. At this price I got both an HD and a upconvert for the regular DVD's

Thanks for the info everyone.

GAC
11-04-2007, 05:29 AM
Your cable provider doesn't offer HD-programming??? Wow, that is bizarre.

Are they a regional company?

I dunno how they expect for their company to survive w/o some sort of plan in place to begin the transition to at least SOME HD broadcasting.

No, they are a national company......

http://www.charter.net/index.php

I don't understand them one bit. And I don't know how they can survive either as HD is becoming the "standard". All I know is that they are going to be losing another customer very soon.

I will though keep their HS cable modem internet. It is excellent. But the rest? :thumbdown

GAC
11-04-2007, 05:51 AM
Well, you can technically be watching a movie in high-definition with component cables. However, you really want to be using HDMI. Sort of like buying a Ferrari and then putting bald tires on it.

Also: Don't forget about upconversion. It's worth getting the player for that alone. Even movies that aren't HD will be upconverted to "near-HD" quality.

I've been trying to read up on this upconversion. I've heard both sides of the argument (the pros and cons). One side is....

Up-converting involves scaling and interpolating. If you have an HDTV, it already has built-in scaling and interpolating to convert ANY signal received into the native resolution of the display. Why would anyone think a couple hundred dollar DVD player is going to do a better job of scaling than their muti-thousand dollar TV is going to do? All you will end up doing is having your DVD player scale it to a high-def resolution, and then your TV will re-scale it to fit the display.

The main reason to buy an upconverting DVD player in this day and age, is not for the people who bought the multi-thousand dollar DLP or plasma, but for the people who bought the $800 LCD from Costco they saw on sale. Most lower-cost HDTVs skimp on the upconverter to save costs. Sure, it'll display native HDTV content well, but analog cable? DVDs? No, these will suffer at the hands of a mediocre video processor.

This forum has a very good "back and forth" discussion on the topic. I get easily confused when they start talking about TV resolutions, what they can handle, and make sure the HD DVD player you get can handle or convert to a resolution your TV can display, yadda, yadda, yadda.

http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Visual/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=50124

Can most HD DVD players you buy have the option where you can go in a change the resolution, while most HD TVs have a default setting and/or automatically adjusts?

Again - I have a Sony 55" Grand Wega, model KDF-E55A20. It incorporates 3LCD panel tecchnology (whatever that means). Native Resolution: 720p. Display Resolution: 1366 x 768.

More specifications.....

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11035512

3LCD Panel Technology
The 3LCD technology at the heart of Sony’s Grand WEGA™ televisions provide a bright picture, with high detail and natural color. These three key benefits are immediately apparent when viewing a Grand WEGA™ TV. You can expect to see an incredibly detailed picture with eye-popping colors. Sony uses three tiny LCD panels (0.87”) with a combined resolution of over 3.14 million pixels. The light from a high output UHP lamp shines into a filtering system that splits the beam into red, green, and blue light streams. Each color goes through its own LCD panel, which passes or blocks the light. The three beams are then recombined and sent to the projection lens.

WEGA Engine™ System
The WEGA Engine™ system is Sony’s advanced video processing technology designed to enhance and improve overall picture quality. All analog and digital video signals are processed in the digital domain increasing signal while decreasing noise. Various video processing circuits are used to scale the image, perform interlaced to progressive conversion and remove digital artifacts to improve the overall picture quality. The result? You will see stunning picture quality characterized by natural looking images that have amazing texture and detail, and excellent depth and contrast.

HDMI™ Input and More
Designed for maximum versatility, Sony’s Grand WEGA televisions are equipped with a generous number of input interfaces. The HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is the first industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. HDMI supports enhanced or High Definition video, together with multi-channel digital audio to provide matchless image and sound reproduction. And multiple inputs such as component video, S-Video, composite video inputs along with a Digital Audio output and variable/fixed audio output compliment the package.

I am going to go out this morning and look at some HD DVD players.

I've learned alot from this thread alone. Thanks everyone. But I figure that if I am going to spend the money on a player (and maybe even save some), then I may as well get an HDMI cable for the hook-up. HDMI, unlike DVI, does both the video and audio to the best of my understanding.

11-04-2007, 07:55 AM
GAC-maybe this will help. http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

I have basically the same TV as you, and I have both cables. HDMI delivers better sound, but the difference in the picture in minimal. And as far as the sound, I use my 5.1 reciever anyway, so I don't really need the HDMI. I think compnent is fine, too. They are alaso called YPbPr cables. It's really what you like the best. You don't really need HDMI.

You mean component, and not composite, right? Avoid composite. They are the wrong ones.

GAC
11-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Just got back from Walmarts. They had the Toshiba HD DVD player on sale since Friday, and while supplies last, for $98 (saving $170). I also got an HDMI cable ($30). It's a nice unit. So the HDMI handles both the video and audio right?

I also had to buy a couple HD DVDs to go along with it (one is the movie 300). I hooked it up, and all I can say is "WOW!". What a huge difference!

I have a separate question.....

On alot of the other DVD players they had a sign that stated that after a certain date (some time next year?) these DVD players will not work without a separate receiver. It has something to do with a new FCC regulation dealing with analog and digital broadcasts.

Anyone have anymore info on this? Does this mean that within the next year there will be no more analog broadcasts,and everything, due to the new law, must be in digital? Does that mean that alot of people are going to have to buy new TVs?

11-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Maybe this will help, GAC. http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

I'm not sure what this has to do with DVD players, though. I'm confused now.

KronoRed
11-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Maybe this will help, GAC. http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html

I'm not sure what this has to do with DVD players, though. I'm confused now.

Same, unless it's a DVD player with an analog tuner :dunno:

George Foster
11-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Then you need the Dish or Direct TV. If you don't mind a "box" associated with every tv I would pick Direct TV. I had to pick the Dish because the TV in our bedroom is a flat screen with all the cords in the drywall. There was no place to hook up a box without it looking horrible. Dish has the patent on this little antenna that 2 tv's can share the same box and be viewing different channels. That's why I picked the dish.

Also for about $100 you can hook up an outside antenna and recieve the network channels in HD. I live 40 miles from Lexington KY and had no problem picking up the channels with the antenna. I hooked it up right above the dish sat.

You can only use the antenna if you have direct tv or Dish because you hook up the antenna connection where the "cable" connection would go.

I would change over to Sat. TV if I were you. You have a nice TV and are wasting it. Also more Reds games will be in HD next year.!!!

KronoRed
11-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Also more Reds games will be in HD next year.!!!

Dusty Baker in HD GAC, how can you resist :cool:

GAC
11-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Then you need the Dish or Direct TV. If you don't mind a "box" associated with every tv I would pick Direct TV. I had to pick the Dish because the TV in our bedroom is a flat screen with all the cords in the drywall. There was no place to hook up a box without it looking horrible. Dish has the patent on this little antenna that 2 tv's can share the same box and be viewing different channels. That's why I picked the dish.

Also for about $100 you can hook up an outside antenna and recieve the network channels in HD. I live 40 miles from Lexington KY and had no problem picking up the channels with the antenna. I hooked it up right above the dish sat.

You can only use the antenna if you have direct tv or Dish because you hook up the antenna connection where the "cable" connection would go.

I would change over to Sat. TV if I were you. You have a nice TV and are wasting it. Also more Reds games will be in HD next year.!!!

I was just talking to the wife today about switching to Directv. She was kinda apprehensive because we had Directv about 5 years ago, and we didn't care much for it. We had reception problems at times, you didn't get local channels, no internet service, and their tech support/customer service wasn't that great.

I've told her alot has changed with Directv since then. One thing she says isn't going to happen, and it involves installation.... we have a new home where we had the coaxial cable and coaxial wall outlets installed by our contractor. When we had cable service put in, all they had to do was run the cable from the pole to the house.

When we had Directv the first time, they came in and removed the existing coaxial, ran their cables under the crawl space, and drilled holes up through the floors. My wife says that ain't happening this time or we ain't getting it.... "I don't want holes drilled through my floors or walls!" :lol:

I'm also considering putting up a small tower next to the house, depending on where Directv says it need to be for the best reception, so I don't have to have them drilling/mounting in my roof or side of the house. I really don't care to do that.

RFS62
11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm also considering putting up a small tower next to the house, depending on where Directv says it need to be for the best reception, so I don't have to have them drilling/mounting in my roof or side of the house. I really don't care to do that.

They've got a new system now. I think it's right up your alley.

RBA
11-05-2007, 09:07 AM
They've got a new system now. I think it's right up your alley.

Seriously Directv is coming out with a new system for getting the signal to the box. Right now they require two cables for a Directv Box that has a dual tuner such as a Directv DVR. They are currently beta testing the "Single Wire Multi-Switch" or SWM. The SWM will feed a dual tuner DVR with one wire. Since GAC's house is new, the cable inside should already be RG6 cable and he probably can use the existing inside cable. The installer will probably still do some minor alterations. But with the new SWM the job becomes much easier for installer and customer. The SWM is still in testing phrase, but it should be available to all customers soon.

As far as the local networks, I believe Directv now has most of the Standard Definition network locals covered for most of the country. They are now currently working on locals in HD for most of the country.

Just check zip code for Bellefontaine, Ohio and Directv currently has:
NBC WDTN 2
CBS WHIO 7
PBS WPTD 16
ABC WKEF 22
CW WBDT 26
FOX WRGT 45

in Standard definition. HD Locals are not available at this time.

GAC
11-05-2007, 09:24 PM
The way my cable is set up internally is that the coaxial from every room runs to a main panel in our laundry room where there is a spitter. The main cable comes inside from the pole and is then connected to that splitter.

I see no reason why Directv can't do the same. I'm going to contact them and get more info on this.

I'm looking at the one package... Choice Xtra + HD Access ($55/month for 1 yr, then $65/month after that). I get the HD receiver for free. I'll have the standard receivers in the other bedrooms ($4.99/month per receiver).

What gets me is that when I go through their "Build Your System", it keeps adding the $9.99 for HD Access to the charges, and the package (above) for $55 says HD included.

And I thought they added 70 HD channels, with up to 100 after the new year? The packages say you get 40 HD channels.

When I get time I'm going to contact them.

RBA
11-06-2007, 04:04 AM
If you don't need DUAL TUNERS, than your installation should be straight forward.

They figure the 70 HD channels to include premium channels such as HBOHD, STARZHD, SHOHD, MAXHD, TMCHD, etc. You still need to subscribe to the premium channels to receive those. Also some are part of the regional Fox Sports Net (ie FSN West, YESHD, MSGHD, etc) in which you can subscribed to the Sports Net package for an additional fee.

GAC
11-06-2007, 08:04 AM
A friend of mine told me that there needs to be a phone jack accessible where the HD TV and HD receiver is located. Is this true? I know Directv use to be set up this way in order to get PPV.

The reason I am asking is because there are no phone jacks in our living room. We only have the one phone jack in the kitchen, and utilize a cordless phone and cellphones.

macro
11-06-2007, 08:15 AM
GAC, your D* HD receiver will work without being plugged into a phone line, or at least mine does. We keep it plugged up to see the on-screen caller ID, but it was unplugged for several days recently with no problems.

SteelSD
11-06-2007, 08:41 AM
A friend of mine told me that there needs to be a phone jack accessible where the HD TV and HD receiver is located. Is this true? I know Directv use to be set up this way in order to get PPV.

The reason I am asking is because there are no phone jacks in our living room. We only have the one phone jack in the kitchen, and utilize a cordless phone and cellphones.

Like DirecTV, the phone line for Dish is for PPV and/or sports subscriptions. If you don't want either, then the phone line isn't a big deal.

But if you're worried about not having a phone line in the room, just get a two-unit phone jack adapter. Plug the first unit into an outlet that's close to your phone jack in the kitchen, run the phone cord into it (and out of it to your primary phone). Then plug the second unit into an outlet in your TV room and run a phone line from it. That's what we did in our last home and it worked like a charm.

11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I didn't have a phone line on my Dish Network receiver for a long time. I utilized PPV a few times, rarely, and I realized after a while they were never billed to my acccount. I checked into it and found out the phone line was necessary for billing purposes. I connected one, and was then billed for all of them. Also, with some receivers, a caller ID window is available on screen. I like that feature.

I've read there is an audit team that will call subscribers and demand a phone line be hooked up within a really short period of time, threatening disconnection if compliance isn't granted. They focus on people with multiple receivers, to make sure they aren't being shared by neighbors, I guess.

RBA
11-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't have a POTS (traditional phone line) and I subcribed to the MLB package many times. No problems. Also, for PPV, you can order the PPV via the phone or on Directv.com. Ordering PPV over the internet has the advantage of allowing all your receivers to tune that event/movie/channel. When you order via the directv box, only that box gets the PPV.

GAC
11-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I was always under the impression, from the first time we had Directv (about 5 years ago) that the phone jack was needed for PPV (billing).

I'm under the impression now, from reading Directv's website, that the only other need for a phone jack has to do with caller ID (which we don't utilize).

Like DirecTV, the phone line for Dish is for PPV and/or sports subscriptions. If you don't want either, then the phone line isn't a big deal.

But if you're worried about not having a phone line in the room, just get a two-unit phone jack adapter. Plug the first unit into an outlet that's close to your phone jack in the kitchen, run the phone cord into it (and out of it to your primary phone). Then plug the second unit into an outlet in your TV room and run a phone line from it. That's what we did in our last home and it worked like a charm.

Thanks Kori.

I'm assuming I can pick one of these up at the local Staples?

SteelSD
11-07-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm assuming I can pick one of these up at the local Staples?

No problem, bud. You should be able to find one at Staples/Circuit City/Best Buy/Lowe's/etc. But to save money, just go to eBay:

http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Telephones-Pagers_Phone-Jacks_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ58360QQsocmdZList ingItemList

Hopefully, that link will pull up the search I did to find a bunch of 'em. We had either the RCA920 or RCA930 model and it worked really well even with our primary phone being upstairs and our Dish receiver in the basement.

GAC
11-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Well.... I just learned something new when it comes to HD DVDs. I loaned the movie 300 to a friend and they tried to play it in a regular DVD player. Wouldn't read it. ;)

I thought it would still play - just not in HD.

Reds Fanatic
11-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Well.... I just learned something new when it comes to HD DVDs. I loaned the movie 300 to a friend and they tried to play it in a regular DVD player. Wouldn't read it. ;)

I thought it would still play - just not in HD.There are some HD DVDs that are combos of both the HD DVD and DVD format. Those can be played on a regular DVD player. If it is a combo it is marked that way on the package. If they are not a combo they can't be played on anything but a HD DVD player.

GAC
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
No problem, bud. You should be able to find one at Staples/Circuit City/Best Buy/Lowe's/etc. But to save money, just go to eBay:

http://electronics.listings.ebay.com/Telephones-Pagers_Phone-Jacks_W0QQfclZ3QQfromZR11QQsacatZ58360QQsocmdZList ingItemList

Hopefully, that link will pull up the search I did to find a bunch of 'em. We had either the RCA920 or RCA930 model and it worked really well even with our primary phone being upstairs and our Dish receiver in the basement.

Thanks Kori. Buying one now. I need to move my 900Mhz cordless phone away from the computer and Linksys wireless router. I had heard that cordless phones can interfere with you router (internet) if stationed too close.

The other day my 18 yr old came flying out of his room hotter then the dickens. It seems when the phone rings it knocks out the internet on their computers. I guess he was downloading some video game rom, which was a pretty massive file and would've took about an hour, hadn't the phone cut it off halfway through it.

I thought it was funny! :lol:

RBA
11-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Update: Best Buy Business was out of the A2's HD Players, so they are dropping off the newer A3 HD player to me today. About 100 bucks ship for a $300 hd player. Borat: Very nice!

Reds Fanatic
11-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Update: Best Buy Business was out of the A2's HD Players, so they are dropping off the newer A3 HD player to me today. About 100 bucks ship for a $300 hd player. Borat: Very nice!Great deal plus the A3 comes with 2 HD DVDS in the package. It has 300 and Bourne Identity.

deltachi8
11-09-2007, 05:51 PM
Update: Best Buy Business was out of the A2's HD Players, so they are dropping off the newer A3 HD player to me today. About 100 bucks ship for a $300 hd player. Borat: Very nice!

I ended up with the same deal (arrived yesterday) through the regular BB site.

It looks very nice.