PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice....

TeamSelig
11-01-2007, 12:45 AM
I saw a beer helmet (the kind that you can drink two beers at once; one on each side), but the wife denied me, so I have decided to make my own.

Basically I need a helmet, plastic tubing (w/ t joint), zip ties, some sort of drink clip, two koozies, and some ice packs.

I'm looking to make each from scratch somehow or a really cheap route.

For example, the ice packs are going to be made with plastic baggies filled w/ 3:1 ratio of water and rubbing alcohol.

I want to make my own koozie, but I'm not really sure how to go about that, or what to make it out of?? Ideas?

Finally, where would I find a cheap helmet? I was thinking of maybe an army helmet would be the cheapest route, but I'm not sure. Nothing too crazy, but it needs to be a little sturdy. I had thought maybe I could glue some beer case cardboard around it to give it a beer drinking look.

Any ideas, suggestions, tips?

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Best "need advice" thread ever!

Go to local estate sales and try to find a fireman's hat. Or just buy one on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=fireman%27s+helmet&category0=

A spiked kaiser helmet would be cool, too, but I doubt you could find one cheap.

You should be able to make the koozies our of some sort of foam rubber insulation from the local hardware store.

TeamSelig
11-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Thanks, rubber foam insulation is a good idea. I will look for some of that.

As far as ebay goes, I think I'm going to have a little get-together Friday and I was wanting it for that. Good idea for a future beer helmet though.

How cool would a viking beer helmet be? Flava Flav style hat... lol

oneupper
11-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Dude, If you need permission from the wife to buy a beer helmet, I'd suggest either changing the "rules" or changing the wife.

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Thanks, rubber foam insulation is a good idea. I will look for some of that.

I'm thinking of the kind of stuff builders would use to insulate pipes and such. If you can't find it at a hardware store or Home Depot, try a lumber yard.

As far as ebay goes, I think I'm going to have a little get-together Friday and I was wanting it for that. Good idea for a future beer helmet though.

You might be able to find something at a DAV or Salvation Army store. If not, you could look for an OSHA-approved hardhat while you're getting your foam insulation.

How cool would a viking beer helmet be? Flava Flav style hat... lol

Extremely cool.

Roy Tucker
11-01-2007, 10:19 AM
You know, this here googles and intrawebs stuff is kinda amazing sometimes....

http://www.instructables.com/id/Beer-Helmet----Army-Style/

TeamSelig
11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
I happen to like my wife so I think I will keep her around ;) She was griping about the price (as would I if it were something she wanted), so I just dropped it to avoid any arguments.

Chip R
11-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I happen to like my wife so I think I will keep her around ;) She was griping about the price (as would I if it were something she wanted), so I just dropped it to avoid any arguments.

Here's some advice: Grow a pair. ;)

LoganBuck
11-01-2007, 03:44 PM

A word from the whipped: Don't worry about the beer helmets. Other than having the ability to drink beer without using your hands, you or your wife don't gain anything. I guess it depends what you are using your hands for :devil: . Plus you will probably be throwing it away in the move to your next place anyway.

Yachtzee
11-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Ha ha. You'll probably waste way more time building your own than it would have cost to just go out and buy one. That'll show her. :)

macro
11-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I know you guys were mostly kidding, but I'm gonna defend TeamSelig on this one. :)

When I'm tempted to buy something frivolous, I can do it without permission from the wife, and she'd never chew me out for it. However, there's always the chance she will use that as justification to buy something for herself that she might not have otherwise. So, that $25 widget would end up costing us $50-60 if she follows my example.

LoganBuck
11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I know you guys were mostly kidding, but I'm gonna defend TeamSelig on this one. :)

When I'm tempted to buy something frivolous, I can do it without permission from the wife, and she'd never chew me out for it. However, there's always the chance she will use that as justification to buy something for herself that she might not have otherwise. So, that $25 widget would end up costing us $50-60 if she follows my example.

Ding Ding Ding! You couldn't be more right, and men do it too! I do those types of revenge buys from time to time.

WebScorpion
11-06-2007, 09:02 AM
My father used to work construction and I think he had half a dozen hard hats...I would think that if you knew someone in construction and explained your problem to them, they might give you a spare hard hat. Heck, they probably could locate some leftover insulation in the dumpster at the job site for your koozies. Of course, you'd have to put up with them laughing that your wife won't let you buy a beer helmet, so the cost might be too high. ;)

MaineRed
11-06-2007, 01:47 PM

Hate to break it to you but the "price" excuse was just a cover for "I can't believe you would wear that in front of other people." She was just being nice and avoiding an argument herself.

Does she know you are building one? If not I'd be curious what her face looks like when you break the news to her.

And does she know you plan on wearing this to a non halloween costure party gathering?

You like her. If you want her to keep liking you, I'd tread lightly with this beer helmet business or anything closely related to such activities.

TeamSelig
11-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Are you insinuating that a beer helmet is not cool? Beer helmet being cool should be a Man Law, and honestly you should have yours revoked for thinking that.

Also, with all these cheap shots, I'm half tempted to just go buy one and upload a picture to prove it so all this heat on me goes away. For a little justification... the thing was like 20-30 bucks, which was a little too much for me to pay anyway. And I sealed my fate when I muttered 'hey if that is 15 or under i'm getting it'

:)

MaineRed
11-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Go buy one. Post your wife reactions while you're at it.

camisadelgolf
11-06-2007, 02:54 PM
I completely disagree with MaineRed. Don't buy one. That money could be spent on more beer.

TeamSelig
11-06-2007, 03:11 PM
hahaha

Johnny Footstool
11-06-2007, 05:28 PM
It's a scientifically proven fact that the alcohol content of beer doubles when you drink it from a beer helmet, shoe, artificial limb, bird feeder, or similar contraption.

MaineRed
11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
That is because you want to get drunk as soon as you can so people will think it was the alcohol that led you to make such a poor decision.

Strikes Out Looking
11-06-2007, 08:13 PM
How much are they? My son got one as a prize for selling magazines for his middle school band (he had no idea it was for beer--he is fairly clueless in those matters--and no I'm not naive, he's really clueless), so I can't think they are that expensive (at least not the one he got).

GAC
11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Are you insinuating that a beer helmet is not cool?

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/eparty/beerhelmetcustomer.jpg

Nuff said.

camisadelgolf
11-07-2007, 03:54 AM
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/eparty/beerhelmetcustomer.jpg

Nuff said.

Is that Andruw Jones?

Actually, the better question is: Is he combining Sunkist with Budweiser?

WebScorpion
11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Actually, the better question is: Is he combining Sunkist with Budweiser?

That was my first thought too...he's combining beer with another beverage!!! :eek: That's alcohol abuse!

TS, you really need to do your homework. You can get a Beer Helmet from Spencer's Gifts for $16.99 and I've seen them online for as little as $11.87. As long as you don't want a team logo on the thing, they're (think lunch money) affordable. I still agree with Johnny...this is one of the best 'Need Advice' threads ever. Great fun, and I hope you don't take any of the advice given seriously. ;)

SunDeck
11-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Beer Helmet, Army Style. (http://www.instructables.com/id/Beer-Helmet----Army-Style/?comments=all)

Complete with instructions. Knock yourself out TS.

TeamSelig
11-07-2007, 01:55 PM
That was my first thought too...he's combining beer with another beverage!!! :eek: That's alcohol abuse!

TS, you really need to do your homework. You can get a Beer Helmet from Spencer's Gifts for $16.99 and I've seen them online for as little as $11.87. As long as you don't want a team logo on the thing, they're (think lunch money) affordable. I still agree with Johnny...this is one of the best 'Need Advice' threads ever. Great fun, and I hope you don't take any of the advice given seriously. ;)

Another alcoholic beverage would be okay though. (But gross)

How about... a bud light in one, and one of those gross 40s with high alchol content in the other. Think the Bud Light would make it taste decent?

Roy Tucker
11-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus.

Guys like beer helmets that make them look like beer warriors. Ladies like tall, slim bottles with a wedge of lime that make them look skinny

Men guzzle beer. Women sip it.

Men drink beer to get drunk and fall down. Women sip beer so they don't feel left out.

Men revel in their stupidity. Women love us in spite of it.

Beer helmets forever!!!

11-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Speaking of beer, I treated myself to lunch today. Had one of these, on tap, along with some deep fried breaded sliced pickles. It was even in a glass just like this one. Wouldn't fit in a helmet.

http://www.dezwaan.sk/listok0302/napoje/stella_artois3.jpg

Johnny Footstool
11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Speaking of beer, I treated myself to lunch today. Had one of these, on tap, along with some deep fried breaded sliced pickles. It was even in a glass just like this one. Wouldn't fit in a helmet.

Beer and fried pickles is a really, really good combination.

Unless it's the only thing you've had to eat in a 12-hour period.

BRM
11-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Guys like beer helmets that make them look like beer warriors. Ladies like tall, slim bottles with a wedge of lime that make them look skinny

Men guzzle beer. Women sip it.

Men drink beer to get drunk and fall down. Women sip beer so they don't feel left out.

Beer helmets forever!!!

Great post! And great thread TS!

klw
11-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Now I'm sure Team Selig that you will be enjoying only non-alcoholic beverages in you helmet until you turn 21.

TeamSelig
11-07-2007, 04:08 PM
That is true.

EDIT - but is there anything in the laws about consuming alcoholic beverages from a helmet? It is justified, in my mind.

MaineRed
11-07-2007, 08:06 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i1lIkKn9mdI

GAC
11-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Beer and fried pickles is a really, really good combination.

Unless it's the only thing you've had to eat in a 12-hour period.

Why do I know what particular situation you're referring to? :lol:

GAC
11-07-2007, 09:31 PM

And what rhymes with Venus? ;)

Anyone who puts fruit in beer is....... well, nevermind. :lol:

Stupid is as stupid does. Women accept us because they know there is nothing they can do about genetics and the "D'uh gene".

TeamSelig
11-07-2007, 10:02 PM
I loathe the Jerry Seinfeld

Johnny Footstool
11-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Why do I know what particular situation you're referring to? :lol:

I'm sure you remember more about it than I do. :beerme:

Yachtzee
11-09-2007, 09:55 PM

Are you sure you're not a "chav?"

http://www.boredandlazy.co.uk/quiz.php?q=chav

j/k :beerme:

Some of my wife's English cousins are what you might call "chavs." Really nice people and I love them to death, but have an unhealthy fixation on Stella and Budweiser in a country with "Real Ale" pubs in every town. For those of you who don't know what a "chav" is, the American equivalent is Kevin Federline.