PDA

View Full Version : Guardado Files For Free Agency...

mroby85
11-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Reds.com reporting that Guardado filed for free agency.

How was him and his agent surprised that the reds didn't pick up the option?and talked about signing him being tougher when other teams get involved. If they were going to be like that, i wouldn't even bother to negotiate with them.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071101&content_id=2290521&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Screwball
11-01-2007, 11:34 PM
Well, I'm already enjoying the way this off-season is shaping up: keeping the good players, removing the lesser ones. Hopefully Dusty (who I've been starting to warm up to) will have a much improved squad to work with next year.

roby
11-02-2007, 12:10 AM
I agree. Forget about Guardado...he's done. :thumbdown

AmarilloRed
11-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Guardado showed some promise near the end of last year, but not enough for the Reds to pick up the option. I don't think the Reds will get in a bidding war to re-sign him at his age, however. The Reds do have exclusive negotiating rights until Nov.12, and a deal can still be struck before then. The Reds seem to have some interest in bringing him back, so we will see what happens.

jimbo
11-02-2007, 01:03 AM
I agree. Forget about Guardado...he's done. :thumbdown

Yeah, he certainly looked "done" giving up 0 runs and only 2 hits in his last 7 innings pitched of the season. :rolleyes:

jimbo
11-02-2007, 01:06 AM
How was him and his agent surprised that the reds didn't pick up the option?and talked about signing him being tougher when other teams get involved. If they were going to be like that, i wouldn't even bother to negotiate with them.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071101&content_id=2290521&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

He is only doing what he feels are in his best interests. I can't see how you can criticize him for that.

I'm still holding out hope that he can't find a better deal anywhere else and the Reds can bring him back, although I think it's a very slim possibility. He looked pretty tough towards the end of the season once he got some innings under his belt.

Jharb74
11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Eddie, don't let the door knob hit ya, where the dog should have bit ya.

UK Reds Fan
11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I guess I don't understand why the Reds sank even a meage $500k with a guy needing that intensive of a surgery only to put the contract so high in 2008 that we would not keep him.

It almost feels like we pissed way $750k, one for the salary and one for the buyout to not pay $3.5M next year. Did we not just pay Eddie for a rehab stint and possibly repaired him to a point that he'll now be able to help another.

Orenda
11-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I guess I don't understand why the Reds sank even a meage $500k with a guy needing that intensive of a surgery only to put the contract so high in 2008 that we would not keep him.

It almost feels like we pissed way $750k, one for the salary and one for the buyout to not pay $3.5M next year. Did we not just pay Eddie for a rehab stint and possibly repaired him to a point that he'll now be able to help another.

The reds did the same thing with Grant Balfour a couple years back. Where he essentially was paid to rehab his arm at the prospect that he could help the club down the road, but then later was released and signed with someone else (I think the Brewers). Sound familiar? The main difference was Balfour never stepped on the mound for Cincinnati and was acquired by DanO. I think anyone who truly believed that Eddie Guardado was going to help the reds last season after RUSHING back from TOMMY JOHN SURGERY believed the bill of goods the reds public relations department sold to them.

mroby85
11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah, he certainly looked "done" giving up 0 runs and only 2 hits in his last 7 innings pitched of the season. :rolleyes:

are you really that naive to judge over 7 innings? give me a break. he was terrible this year.

Jack Burton
11-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for nothing Ed.

Ahhhorsepoo
11-02-2007, 10:55 AM
wish they would have let dunn walk.. this team blows my mind..

Krawhitham
11-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, I'm already enjoying the way this off-season is shaping up: keeping the good players, removing the lesser ones. Hopefully Dusty (who I've been starting to warm up to) will have a much improved squad to work with next year.

Stanton still on the team?

NorrisHopper30
11-02-2007, 10:59 AM
wish they would have let dunn walk.. this team blows my mind..

Ahhhorsepoo
11-02-2007, 11:01 AM

Hopper.. Bruce.. Hamilton.. Votto if needed.. and Griffey for another year.. this team has plenty of DEFENSIVE OF'rs.. I know girff aint what he once was.. but hs is still better than Dunn.. we need to get away from the mindset that if we mash the ball we will win.. in this park anyone can mash the ball.. soo go after a defensive player and he will mash 15-20 homers at least.. instead we keep trying to unload with Homers.. hasn't worked for 10 years.. soo lets try 10 more...

SMcGavin
11-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Hopper.. Bruce.. Hamilton.. Votto if needed.. and Griffey for another year.. this team has plenty of DEFENSIVE OF'rs.. I know girff aint what he once was.. but hs is still better than Dunn.. we need to get away from the mindset that if we mash the ball we will win.. in this park anyone can mash the ball.. soo go after a defensive player and he will mash 15-20 homers at least.. instead we keep trying to unload with Homers.. hasn't worked for 10 years.. soo lets try 10 more...

Thanks for adding some impressive insight into this thread about Eddie Guardado.

NorrisHopper30
11-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Why just let him go?

MLBTR readers were more or less unanimously in favor of Dunn's return. 40 homers at $13MM seems a no-brainer to me. He's a patient hitter and the Reds' most potent bat. At that price, if the Reds do intend to deal him they will find ample value.

demas863
11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
are you really that naive to judge over 7 innings? give me a break. he was terrible this year.

Are you really that naive to consider only the impact of his first few lousy appearances after Tommy John surgery and disregard his last seven where he got his velocity and movement back? His first few appearances are meaningless under these circumstances. I just hope other teams look at the overall stats like you have so we can get him back with a good incentive laden contract.

Orenda
11-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Are you really that naive to consider only the impact of his first few lousy appearances after Tommy John surgery and disregard his last seven where he got his velocity and movement back? His first few appearances are meaningless under these circumstances. I just hope other teams look at the overall stats like you have so we can get him back with a good incentive laden contract.

Maybe he could earn an extra 500k, if he is willing to become Edwin's late inning defensive replacement. Could that seal the deal? Seriously though, even if he has an ok season, the money and time given to him would just be another attempt to patch a gaping hole by the FO. If they were serious about contending they would A.) spend the money to bring in better players or B.) start saving money on stopgap free agents and continue to invest in top prospects and player devolepment.

bounty37h
11-02-2007, 11:35 AM
He is only doing what he feels are in his best interests. I can't see how you can criticize him for that.

I'm still holding out hope that he can't find a better deal anywhere else and the Reds can bring him back, although I think it's a very slim possibility. He looked pretty tough towards the end of the season once he got some innings under his belt.

I do agree, and I like Eddie and hope he's back, but I would also hope (and maybe this is my naive side that doesnt have the opportunity to get filthy rich playing a game that I currently pay money to play) that he would see the Reds have been loyal to him, stuck by him, and gave him a lot of money while he couldnt even play, and would say "you know what, I owe you guys, name your price, I will sign and I will see you in spring training.....

Orenda
11-02-2007, 11:48 AM
I do agree, and I like Eddie and hope he's back, but I would also hope (and maybe this is my naive side that doesnt have the opportunity to get filthy rich playing a game that I currently pay money to play) that he would see the Reds have been loyal to him, stuck by him, and gave him a lot of money while he couldnt even play, and would say "you know what, I owe you guys, name your price, I will sign and I will see you in spring training.....

That would be ok, but it sounds like your describing Kerry Wood.

bounty37h
11-02-2007, 12:30 PM
^ Hows that, he has never been a Red, we havent been loyal to him, and he doesnt owe us anyhting? Did he do that in Chicago (Im not familiar with it)?

jimbo
11-02-2007, 12:45 PM

Yeah, and you're only judging him on the stretch right after he came back, which was basically his spring training. He had been off for almost a year. Once he got his arm and legs in game shape, he was pretty tough.

Orenda
11-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Im not 100% sure but I thought that was how it was made out last season when he signed a one year contract and moved to the bullpen

mroby85
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Yeah, and you're only judging him on the stretch right after he came back, which was basically his spring training. He had been off for almost a year. Once he got his arm and legs in game shape, he was pretty tough.

whatever, he's past his prime, and would be a more of the same, which is why the reds haven't made it to the playoffs since 1995, what was he hitting on the radar gun when his velocity came back? 88? i doubt if it was even that high. You guys will see the light eventually, but i hope the front office isn't the same way, because if they are, we'll have to see another crappy season.

jimbo
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM
whatever, he's past his prime, and would be a more of the same, which is why the reds haven't made it to the playoffs since 1995, what was he hitting on the radar gun when his velocity came back? 88? i doubt if it was even that high. You guys will see the light eventually, but i hope the front office isn't the same way, because if they are, we'll have to see another crappy season.

He was consistantly ptiching at 90 during those last 7 innings pitched, which is pretty much where he was before the surgery.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070927/SPT04/709270346/

roby
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Seven whole innings! Woo-Hoo! He didn't look done when they traded for him either, but he fried out quickly. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

roby
11-02-2007, 03:07 PM
He was consistantly ptiching at 90 during those last 7 innings pitched, which is pretty much where he was before the surgery.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070927/SPT04/709270346/

If the Reds are ever going to win anything, they are going to have to set their sights higher than Eddie G. It's time to raise the payroll and quit signing over-the-hill has-beens. get some guys in here who can pitch and are not eligible for social security!

jimbo
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Seven whole innings! Woo-Hoo! He didn't look done when they traded for him either, but he fried out quickly. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's a good 3 weeks of work for a reliever. Talk about tunnel vision. You have to look at the overall picture here. The guy was off for almost a year after Tommy John surgery, had a tough time starting back up but once he got his location down and his leg and arm strength back, he was very effective. Good relievers don't just go on trees, and there's been plenty of pitchers come back strong from that surgery. You have to take a chance on a guy like this from time to time, especially if you can get him back here cheap.

How many of you were calling for Weathers DFA early in the season of 2006? I remember many Reds fans wanting him gone at that time, just because of his age and a slow start.

roby
11-02-2007, 06:26 PM
That's a good 3 weeks of work for a reliever. Talk about tunnel vision. You have to look at the overall picture here. The guy was off for almost a year after Tommy John surgery, had a tough time starting back up but once he got his location down and his leg and arm strength back, he was very effective. Good relievers don't just go on trees, and there's been plenty of pitchers come back strong from that surgery. You have to take a chance on a guy like this from time to time, especially if you can get him back here cheap.

How many of you were calling for Weathers DFA early in the season of 2006? I remember many Reds fans wanting him gone at that time, just because of his age and a slow start.

Jimbo: Are you willing to pay almost 4 million dollars to get that chance? I think it could be better spent elsewhere. Evidently, the Reds think so too.

jimbo
11-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Jimbo: Are you willing to pay almost 4 million dollars to get that chance? I think it could be better spent elsewhere. Evidently, the Reds think so too.

I never said anything about paying him that much. I said if they can get him back cheap.

roby
11-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I never said anything about paying him that much. I said if they can get him back cheap.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about picking up his option.

mroby85
11-05-2007, 06:48 PM

I personally wasn't calling for the head of David Weathers, but i still to this day don't want him as our closer. Eddie G. is a waste of money. if they would spend all the money they've wasted on projects they couldve had a solid player by now. see ben weber, scott schoenweiss, mike stanton, this list could go on for quite some time.

AmarilloRed
12-01-2007, 11:58 PM
NASHVILLE -- The Reds declined to offer arbitration to free agent pitchers Eddie Guardado and Eric Milton on Saturday.

Cincinnati can still negotiate with both players if it chooses. Since neither player was ranked Type A or B, the club is not eligible for Draft-pick compensation if they sign with another team.

Guardado, 37, returned from Tommy John surgery on his left elbow in August and had a 7.24 ERA over 15 games. Over his final 10 games from Aug. 22, he put together an 0.93 ERA and didn't allow a run over his final seven outings. The Reds declined his $3.5 million club option on Oct. 31 with the hope it could re-sign him at a lower price.

Milton, 32, was 0-4 with a 5.17 ERA in six starts before going on the disabled list with a torn ligament in his left elbow. He had the season-ending Tommy John procedure on June 15 and filed to become a free agent on Oct. 30.

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

*BaseClogger*
12-02-2007, 01:46 PM
crack open the champagne! :beerme:

BigRed
12-02-2007, 02:32 PM
I would still not mind having Eddie back at a reasonable salary. A veteran lefty setup man like Eddie could solidify the bullpen even more.

AmarilloRed
12-03-2007, 01:57 AM
I would have liked draft pick compensation for Milton after millions wasted, but I suppose that was hoping for too much.

bounty37h
12-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I think Milton should cut the Reds a check, and throw it in an "Im sorry" card....

Carolina Red
12-31-2007, 05:21 PM
I was wondering if the Reds are still talking with "Everyday Eddie". Seems like I remember WK saying they might be interested in signing him at a lower salary. We really haven't done a lot for the pen except signing Cordero. Eddie was pitching pretty well at the end of the year, might make a good setup man to go along with Weathers. He seemed like a great guy in the clubhouse, too. It would also add insurance in case Cordero gets hurt. He would have to be better than another year of Coffey.

Dracodave
12-31-2007, 05:24 PM
He signed with Texas awhile ago.

Carolina Red
12-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry I missed that one. Any idea how much they paid him?

GoReds33
12-31-2007, 05:58 PM
Sorry I missed that one. Any idea how much they paid him?Sorry, can't find his salary. Likely 1 year with ST invite, similar to last year's Reds contract.

BearcatShane
12-31-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't think he signed with Texas. I believe he is still a free agent.

12-31-2007, 06:15 PM
He is expected to sign with Texas right after the new year, but nothing is certain. He likes the Rangers because he they offered him a chance to close.

Slyder
01-03-2008, 12:38 PM
and then come July they cash out on him for some spects as teams are desperate for any sort of bullpen help.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Are you really that naive to judge a pitcher right after he rushes back from TJS. I think what Jimbo was trying to say is that he was pretty darn good before he got hurt and after he got his legs back under him at the end of the year he was pretty good. I would call naive disgarding all of his numbers except for the ones where he probably shouldn't have been pitching in the first place.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
He signed with Texas awhile ago.
that was the Lizard that signed with Texas I believe.

Z-Fly
01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
The reds should get first dibs on him since they basicly paid to rehab him last year.