PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Baseball League

Stephenk29
11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Anyone interested in starting a fantasy baseball league. Rotissere 5x5 keeper league perhaps. Just spit balling. I'd like to get in a league where I kinda know people in any way, not just the public leagues. I'm even down for a pay league.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Yes. I'm very interested in joining a serious keeper league...

Stephenk29
11-07-2007, 06:29 PM
well that makes two of us lol. maybe some others will catch on.

*BaseClogger*
12-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Can we post this on The Sun Deck? Becuase that would really help us get people's attention...

Joseph
12-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm not big on pay leagues, but a keeper league would be great fun to get involved in.

*BaseClogger*
12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm not big on pay leagues, but a keeper league would be great fun to get involved in.

Can you do anything to get this more reads?
Thanks

EDIT- NL only?

camisadelgolf
12-06-2007, 03:32 AM

mlbfan30
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
I would like to be in a Keeper league, or any league

Stephenk29
12-06-2007, 11:59 PM
I've never been big on NL only leagues. I just think its more fun to get excited about David Ortiz rather than Connor Jackson. I'm okay with not having any money on the line, just spitballing like I said.

*BaseClogger*
12-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Stephen,
Are you going to commish? I've already talked to a few other redszoners that are interested...

So far I see:
Stephenk29
mlbfan30
*BaseClogger*
Joseph
camisadelgolf

plus Jay Bruce said he is interested...

Stephenk29
12-09-2007, 12:41 AM
I certainly can. I'd hope to get around 12 for a league. Anything under 10 wouldn't be very fun.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 12:55 AM
I certainly can. I'd hope to get around 12 for a league. Anything under 10 wouldn't be very fun.

I agree... I even like the idea of like 16 teams with shallow rosters of say 21 spots...

Mr.MojoRisin
12-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Never done one before, might be cool.

nate
12-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I've done one of the Redszone Yahoo leagues the past two years. A keeper league would be a lot of fun.

mlbfan30
12-09-2007, 08:04 PM
There should be some requirement as to experience and dedication of the players. I don't want to start a keeper league with someone who has never played fantasy baseball, and/or people who aren't 100% dedicated. A good keeper league should have people who understand stats and follows BASEBALL everyday, not just the Reds. From my experience a 12 team, 5x5 is best when done correctly. A 16 team league becomes more luck due to unexpected great seasons in the lower drafts or waivers. The talent level is too depleted. Also a 16 team league favors those that update everyday (which should always happen) but when people stop doing this, and it happens often, the disparity between the top and lower teams is a large amount which isn't fun. Also roto leagues are better than h2h in general since anyone can be lucky 1 week in the playoffs, but roto is a season long thing and takes more strategy.

Stephenk29
12-09-2007, 11:21 PM
I vote for everything you just said, although I don't think experience is all that important just participation. Anyone read Fantasy Land by Sam Walker? Awesome.

*BaseClogger*
12-09-2007, 11:44 PM
mlbfan30 for commsioner!:D

Joseph
12-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm all for anything from 8-12 teams, 25 man mixed league rosters. 5 x 5 seems logical on stats as well.

What number of keepers are we looking at each season?

*BaseClogger*
12-10-2007, 12:59 PM
I'm all for anything from 8-12 teams, 25 man mixed league rosters. 5 x 5 seems logical on stats as well.

What number of keepers are we looking at each season?

I say 2 hitters and 2 pitchers...

*BaseClogger*
12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
we should send the league ID and password by private message so that only the people we want can get in the league...

mlbfan30
12-10-2007, 08:56 PM
I could be comish. I would say 5 keepers might be good. You can't have a player requirement for keepers, since that would force you to keep players you don't want and limit year strategy for the season and future. We need 12 teams for it to work, anything less makes it not enough depth in the draft/waivers. We would probably set up it in yahoo. Send me a PM if interested, I will go through the process of determining who makes the cut.
Also to the person that says experience isn't needed. It kind of is. You can learn a lot from reading strategies and stuff, but actually playing is the best guide to get your own strategy. Obviously everyone has to start, and I wouldn't discount inexperienced players if they know stats/projections/strategies/etc

*BaseClogger*
12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I could be comish. I would say 5 keepers might be good. You can't have a player requirement for keepers, since that would force you to keep players you don't want and limit year strategy for the season and future. We need 12 teams for it to work, anything less makes it not enough depth in the draft/waivers. We would probably set up it in yahoo. Send me a PM if interested, I will go through the process of determining who makes the cut.
Also to the person that says experience isn't needed. It kind of is. You can learn a lot from reading strategies and stuff, but actually playing is the best guide to get your own strategy. Obviously everyone has to start, and I wouldn't discount inexperienced players if they know stats/projections/strategies/etc

sounds cool... what specific roster spots do you have in mind?

Stephenk29
12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Ive seen anywhere from 3-6 Keepers. The keeper league I'm in now has 4.

this is the starting format I'm used to
C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, of, of, of, UTL
SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

plus 6 bench spots.

Keepers usually don't have to be specific. I.e. don't have to be 2 pitchers 2 hitters etc.

*BaseClogger*
12-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Ive seen anywhere from 3-6 Keepers. The keeper league I'm in now has 4.

this is the starting format I'm used to
C, 1b, 2b, 3b, ss, of, of, of, UTL
SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

plus 6 bench spots.

Keepers usually don't have to be specific. I.e. don't have to be 2 pitchers 2 hitters etc.

sounds good. I've never been in a keeper so excuse me for not knowing how that works...

mlbfan30
12-23-2007, 01:52 AM
I've only had a few responses for people interested in joining the league. I'm accepting applications (just say you want to join in a PM) until I say it's full.

camisadelgolf
12-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm too lazy for PMs--all my energy goes to updating my fantasy leagues. Therefore, I'm interested in this league.

Stephenk29
01-30-2008, 03:05 PM
bump

*BaseClogger*
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
yeah what's the deal with this? I sent a PM and haven't heard anything since...

Stephenk29
02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Season still a ways off. I'm in no hurry.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm looking for a fantasy league to join. In the past I've played at Sandbox with 9 other guys that I didn't know and we stayed together for 5 years playing baseball, football and basketball. Sandbox was later sold and never was the same as it used to be. Then the guys all kind of got use to how eachother traded/drafted and we disbanded but that was a great league and I would love to be a part of something like that again. LexingtonRedsFan was a part of that group. He use to post at Redszone pretty much but his business keeps him very occupied. I was fortunate enough to win 3 baseball seasons, 1 football and 1 basketball out of 15 different seasons and a total of 10 guys, as I mentioned before.

I'm not interested in auction style (roto) drafts. A small # of players in a keeper league would be fine. I'd prefer a free league too. I was given the following nickname because of my success in our leagues- 'kingpoobah' - and I use that as my email address to this very day - kingpoobah@yahoo.com

I have been asked to join a Head To Head league and I'm giving that strong consideration but my real desire is to play Fantasy Baseball with a Slow, Live draft 5X5 (like 5 or 10 minutes per choice). Both leagues drafted from not just the National League.

If I sound like the kind of guy you'd like to have join in with you, by all means PM or email me.

Thanks,
Jerry / Vada Pinson Fan

*BaseClogger*
02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Vada Pinson Fan please PM mlbfan30 if you're interested

REDblooded
02-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I'd like to join too..................would prefer a dynasty format if you guys are interested (keep your entire team each year and have a 1 round FA/Rookie/Import draft at the beginning of each year)

Vada Pinson Fan
02-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Vada Pinson Fan please PM mlbfan30 if you're interested

BC- I did PM mlbfan30 with my intentions to join. Now I'll be waiting for his/her reply. Thank you for pointing that out to me BC.

RedBlooded wrote: I'd like to join too..................would prefer a dynasty format if you guys are interested (keep your entire team each year and have a 1 round FA/Rookie/Import draft at the beginning of each year)

I'm against the entire team being protected. That leads to guys dropping out with hopeless teams. OBTW- Our ten team league worked great. Better than the 12 team, I thought. We drafted in the S-curve style.

Best Wishes,
Jerry/Vada Pinson Fan

*BaseClogger*
02-02-2008, 02:15 AM
from my experience, 12 teams work better for normal roster spots. 10 is too shallow and the talent pool is too strong...

Stephenk29
02-02-2008, 02:23 PM
We can always have a group vote on some of this stuff once we hit a designated number of people. Say we get ten guys we can vote on if we want two more teams. Then we can vote on 5x5, draft style, etc etc.

Vada Pinson Fan
02-02-2008, 02:37 PM
We can always have a group vote on some of this stuff once we hit a designated number of people. Say we get ten guys we can vote on if we want two more teams. Then we can vote on 5x5, draft style, etc etc.

Absolutely, Stephen. What ever the majority would want would be fine with me.

BC- You're right the talent pool is deep and therefore making things very equal for all. You really have to manage your team well with great overall talent spread so evenly between all ten teams, thus keeping it interesting throughout the season. Just my opinion though. I have played with 12 teams as well and if that's the way the league wants it; that's OK.

Sorry if I'm putting the horse before the cart, because in fact I haven't been asked to join with you guys so far. No word yet from mlbfan30.

Stephenk29
02-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I just made this trade in my other league, what do you guys think?

10 team keeper league (4 keepers)

I traded:
Felix Hernandez and my first round pick (#1 overall)

I Get:
David Ortiz, Victor Martinez, first round pick (#9 overall) and a second round pick (#12 overall)

*BaseClogger*
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM

I traded:

I Get:
David Ortiz, Victor Martinez, first round pick (#9 overall) and a second round pick (#12 overall)

IS THERE A CATCH!?

Stephenk29
02-05-2008, 04:16 PM
That's what I asked when he "threw in" David Ortiz. Victor Martinez was very expendable for him since he already has A-Rod, Hanley, and Utley as his other keepers. He essentially traded Ortiz and two picks for Felix and my 1rst Rounder. Still seemed like a high price to pay? This guys is pretty good at fantasy too, I keep wondering if Ortiz broke his legs or something and he's the only one who knows about it.

*BaseClogger*
02-05-2008, 04:36 PM
That's what I asked when he "threw in" David Ortiz. Victor Martinez was very expendable for him since he already has A-Rod, Hanley, and Utley as his other keepers. He essentially traded Ortiz and two picks for Felix and my 1rst Rounder. Still seemed like a high price to pay? This guys is pretty good at fantasy too, I keep wondering if Ortiz broke his legs or something and he's the only one who knows about it.

On a side note- I like Ortiz's AVG to come down this year but for many of his doubles to turn into HR's...

Vada Pinson Fan
02-05-2008, 07:02 PM

I traded:

I Get:

You get a nice little haul Stephen. You still get great quality at #9 versus losing your #1 overall plus your #12 overall in the 2nd round should give you someone that may have dropped from your 1st round but availlable at 12,not to mention getting Ortiz and V.Martinez. Overall, I'd make that trade too!

Man, I can't wait!
Best Wishes,
Jerry

Stephenk29
02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
We should probably get going on this. Do we even have 10 guys? PM me and I'll do it if I have to.

Stephenk29
02-12-2008, 10:26 AM

I traded:

I Get:

Trade got vetoed because everyone thought the other guy was getting a "fifth Keeper" since he was guaranteed him pre draft.

BUT

I did work this one:D

Ortiz, Victor Martinez and Lance Berkman, and his 3rd round pick

for Felix Hernandez and my first round pick.

The catch is I have to trade Felix post draft for that 3rd round pick (who i choose). If I decide to keep Felix instead he gets Ortiz back in exchange for his fourth keeper (Granderson).

complicated, but it works. I know no one cares, but I just have to gloat to someone:beerme:

camisadelgolf
02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
We should probably get going on this. Do we even have 10 guys? PM me and I'll do it if I have to.

I'm still interested. PM sent.

AtomicDumpling
02-16-2008, 01:00 AM
I am interested as well. Who am I supposed to PM?

I am a very experienced player, having played in Yahoo leagues for 10 years or so. Unfortunately I don't have any friends that play rotisserie baseball so I have only been able to play with strangers on the Internet. I would love a chance to participate in a keeper/dynasty league with some fellow Redszoners.

I was fortunate enough to win both of my 12-team leagues last season and am feeling a little cocky. Maybe you guys can knock me down a notch?

Joseph
02-18-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm still interested, for the record.

mlbfan30
02-20-2008, 12:10 PM
In a couple day's I'll get everything organized. It's finals week so I haven't had the chance. Do we want to make it a money league (I want to)? How much? A keeper league? A 5x5? Roto? A dynasty league? Draft minor league players? Use Yahoo or CBS? These are things I'll need answers to. I'd like it to be an active league that stays around for a long time.

*BaseClogger*
02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
I vote free, 5x5, roto, Yahoo!, redraft, no minor leaguers

Stephenk29
02-20-2008, 02:40 PM

also Live draft

NorrisHopper30
02-20-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm up for anything, and I am very active. I'll be saving one Yahoo! league slot incase you decide to make one on there.

*BaseClogger*
02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
also Live draft

agreed

Vada Pinson Fan
02-20-2008, 11:54 PM

I agree with BaseClogger and make it a 10 or 12 team with both NL and AL league players to be drafted. No more than 12 teams and no keepers. Keeping the same guys(team owners/GM's) here each year would be awsome and have a totally fresh draft year after year would create more reason to come back than if you drafted low this first year and didn't get Ultra-Stud keeper-players. You could make the arguement that there are plenty keepers to retain 3 per team but I think it's dicey to do that. JMO.

Let me know.

*BaseClogger*
02-21-2008, 01:34 AM
I agree with BaseClogger and make it a 10 or 12 team with both NL and AL league players to be drafted. No more than 12 teams and no keepers. Keeping the same guys(team owners/GM's) here each year would be awsome and have a totally fresh draft year after year would create more reason to come back than if you drafted low this first year and didn't get Ultra-Stud keeper-players. You could make the arguement that there are plenty keepers to retain 3 per team but I think it's dicey to do that. JMO.

Let me know.

Once again agree with everthing he said, except VPF has a thing for 10 teams, while I like 12. Guess it's what we're used to...
Just get as many teams as you can mlbfan30 (but not more than 12)...

Stephenk29
02-21-2008, 01:53 PM
By my last count I had ten, and that was iffy. 12 Might be hard to get, but I've done both so it doesn't matter to me.

Buckeye33
02-21-2008, 03:20 PM
By my last count I had ten, and that was iffy. 12 Might be hard to get, but I've done both so it doesn't matter to me.

I play to much fantasy baseball, but I can squeeze one more league in if you guys are looking to get to 12 teams. I need more practice at 12 team leagues anyway.

PM or I'll check this thread for login info if you want me to play.

Thanks

NorrisHopper30
02-22-2008, 02:31 PM

I have room for one more league as well, hit me up with a PM or post the info here if you'd like to add me.

cinredsfan2000
02-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Ditto here im in 2 leagues and usually join 3 so id be interested in joining one more

mlbfan30
02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
I HAVE SET UP THE LEAGUE

PM me if your interested with a quick reason why you should be in. It should be a challenge. The settings are inside the league, so you will need to join to see them. You should read the Commish Note once you join. You are not committed to stay in the league until the actual draft.

Joseph
02-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Where we at here?

Buckeye33
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Where we at here?

MLB set up an in depth 8 player keeper league. PM him if interested. Was a little more than I was looking for.

nate
02-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd be up for another league if you need one more.

Royals Fan
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
I am also wanting to play- just me know where and when in yahoo or somewhere else. Tony

mlbfan30
02-27-2008, 10:51 PM
PM me to see the league and details. The final settings are not finalized but there is a rough outline. We need 2 more to make it official, and I'd like 4 more at the very least.

TeamSelig
02-28-2008, 01:26 AM
Another league if more are interested. Active players please.

ID 143697
pass: mlb

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Another league if more are interested. Active players please.

ID 143697
pass: mlb

there are still plently of openings, so why can't we all just get in one league? It is silly to have two small RZ leagues when we could play together...

TeamSelig
02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Mine isn't just Redszone exclusive.

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Mine isn't just Redszone exclusive.

gotcha

Caseyfan21
02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd be interested in doing another league. I'm doing one league with some friends from school but I usually like to do two of them. I'm usually fairly active during the season, maybe not as much while school is in session (April-May) but definitely more so over the summer.

Is there a specific Redszone league that still has openings?

*BaseClogger*
02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I'd be interested in doing another league. I'm doing one league with some friends from school but I usually like to do two of them. I'm usually fairly active during the season, maybe not as much while school is in session (April-May) but definitely more so over the summer.

Is there a specific Redszone league that still has openings?

I HAVE SET UP THE LEAGUE

PM me if your interested with a quick reason why you should be in. It should be a challenge. The settings are inside the league, so you will need to join to see them. You should read the Commish Note once you join. You are not committed to stay in the league until the actual draft.

Caseyfan21
02-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks, with all the different people in this thread talking about leagues I wasn't sure what still had openings and what didn't. Hopefully I can get in on this league with you guys.

SultanOfSwing
03-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm game if someone will allow me.

Gainesville Red
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
We got any openings left anywhere?

Topcat
03-08-2008, 05:27 AM
I would join 1 more league but it would have to be a 24 league with deep committed guys.