PDA

View Full Version : Who would you trade for Lincecum?

RedsFanWC
11-02-2007, 02:46 PM
There is an article on Foxsports.com that includes a mention that the Giants may be willing to part with Tim Lincecum for a quality at bat. Now with a talent like that the price will be high but I think the Reds more than any other team could be in a great place to meet it with young position players. The Giants are in dire need of young position player help.

A deal of Hamilton, EE, and a prospect like Maloney (would do well in SF with his flyball stuff) for Lincecum and a bullpen guy like Kevin Correja would be a great deal for both sides in my opinion.

What do you think? How much would you give up for Lincecum?

Ahhhorsepoo
11-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Dunn for Lincecum.. they love terrible feilding homerun hitting left fielders there.. soo why not? hell with that team you might get cain as well if you lope in EE or Freel...

Will M
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Stubbs :D

GoReds33
11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I would give them Griffey and Gonzalez. They need a shortstop right? Isn't Vizquel leaving? That would fill two voids.

durl
11-02-2007, 03:57 PM
I would give them Griffey and Gonzalez. They need a shortstop right? Isn't Vizquel leaving? That would fill two voids.

Not realistic. Griffey can veto it and we can be 99.9999% sure that he would.

AdamDunn
11-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Hamilton and Gonzalez

GoReds33
11-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Not realistic. Griffey can veto it and we can be 99.9999% sure that he would.See, but I don't know if he would. San Francisco has a better team currently than we do. He could possibly go there. Maybe he could be their backup plan if they don't get A-Rod. I don't know if he would veto it. Let's be positive. I'm just exploring possibilities.:)

Screwball
11-02-2007, 05:12 PM

My guess is they'd want a helluva lot more than Griffey and Gonzo. For Lincecum, they'd probably start with Bruce. Although I could see them accepting Votto and Hamilton.

Stephenk29
11-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Hamilton and whoever. I can see them taking Dunn straight up.

roby
11-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Hamilton and whoever. I can see them taking Dunn straight up.

DONE!!! :thumbup:

NorrisHopper30
11-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Think SF would bite on Gonzo and Hamilton?

GoReds33
11-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Think SF would bite on Gonzo and Hamilton?I would give up those two in a second, though Hamilton is my favorite player. Lincecum is a terrific young pitcher, and he could complete what could be the best NL rotation inn a couple years. Imagine this as a rotation in two years if these players pan out:

Harang
Bailey
Cueto
Lincecum
Arroyo/Maloney

That would be awesome. Then all we would need is a bullpen.:)

WMR
11-02-2007, 09:09 PM
I'd rather trade Gonzo and Votto than Gonzo and Hamilton.

I truly believe that Hamilton is going to be a very special big-league player.

If I was GM, I'd deal Gonzo & Votto and transition Dunn to first-base after inking him to a 4 year extension with a club option for a 5th.

Screwball
11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Think SF would bite on Gonzo and Hamilton?

For Lincecum? Maybe, but probly not.

roby
11-03-2007, 12:10 AM
I'd rather trade Gonzo and Votto than Gonzo and Hamilton.

I truly believe that Hamilton is going to be a very special big-league player.

If I was GM, I'd deal Gonzo & Votto and transition Dunn to first-base after inking him to a 4 year extension with a club option for a 5th.

How about trading Griffey, and paying most of his salary? Do you think the Giants might bite? They give lip service to getting younger, but they always seem to gravitate to the older players.

RedsFanWC
11-03-2007, 12:22 AM
I really dont understand the reds fan who think that trading griffey and alex gonzalez will bring back a quality pitcher. Every team has a somewhat smart front office, some smarter that others however nobody gets to trade what they dont want anymore for the players they want. Baseball and life dont work that way, you have to pay for what you want.

The Reds have to give up offense to improve their pitching, they cant continue to give up more than 800 runs a year, they need to figure out a way to turn their 800 runs scored into 750 in exchange for turning their 800 runs given up into 600. Trading Griffey isnt going to get that job done, trading Hamilton, Votto, or EE can.

WMR
11-03-2007, 01:02 AM
How about trading Griffey, and paying most of his salary? Do you think the Giants might bite? They give lip service to getting younger, but they always seem to gravitate to the older players.

The only scenario wherein I see Junior accepting a trade is to:

a) A team relatively close to being a "winner" and/or competing for a World Series

AND

b) A team relatively close to his home in Florida (East coast, the South, and east of the Mississippi).

Bigredfan#1
11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
No way I trade Dunn for Lincecum, we still have to score runs, so instead of 10-9 games we lose 2-1 games!

I(heart)Freel
11-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I really dont understand the reds fan who think that trading griffey and alex gonzalez will bring back a quality pitcher. Every team has a somewhat smart front office, some smarter that others however nobody gets to trade what they dont want anymore for the players they want. Baseball and life dont work that way, you have to pay for what you want.

I think we Reds fans have to adjust how we see Junior and how the rest of the baseball world sees Junior.

When the Atlanta rumors sprouted earlier this week, I was surprised to see so many people talk so highly of Junior.

So don't make it sound like Junior has limited value. I think other teams view him more highly than we think. But that said, yes, getting him to agree to the trade is another matter entirely.

Screwball
11-03-2007, 11:01 AM
No way I trade Dunn for Lincecum, we still have to score runs, so instead of 10-9 games we lose 2-1 games!

He could be replaced by Minor League Player of the Year, Jay Bruce. He most likely won't match Dunn's production in his rookie season, but he'd probably fill the void down the road. Plus, we'd have a young, cheap stud pitcher in Tim Lincecum. I love Dunn and what he brings to the table offensively, but I'd definitely trade him for TL.

And BTW, who's to say we would then lose 2-1? Why not win 2-1? We still have Hamilton, Griffey, Votto, Phillips, EE, Jay Bruce, Hatt/Cantu off the bench, etc. If we were able to land Lincecum in the offseason with Bailey coming back after getting some experience under his belt, I'd be pretty dang confident about our starting rotation in '08.

roby
11-03-2007, 11:20 AM

The Reds have to give up offense to improve their pitching, they cant continue to give up more than 800 runs a year, they need to figure out a way to turn their 800 runs scored into 750 in exchange for turning their 800 runs given up into 600. Trading Griffey isnt going to get that job done, trading Hamilton, Votto, or EE can.

Perhaps you should start a class, Professor...so that you could teach all of us ignorant Reds fans the many things that we don't know! :D

Bigredfan#1
11-03-2007, 03:38 PM
He could be replaced by Minor League Player of the Year, Jay Bruce. He most likely won't match Dunn's production in his rookie season, but he'd probably fill the void down the road. Plus, we'd have a young, cheap stud pitcher in Tim Lincecum. I love Dunn and what he brings to the table offensively, but I'd definitely trade him for TL.

And BTW, who's to say we would then lose 2-1? Why not win 2-1? We still have Hamilton, Griffey, Votto, Phillips, EE, Jay Bruce, Hatt/Cantu off the bench, etc. If we were able to land Lincecum in the offseason with Bailey coming back after getting some experience under his belt, I'd be pretty dang confident about our starting rotation in '08.

We struggled scoring when we lost Dunn and Griffey at the end of the year. Griffey is on his last leg (love him and hate that he has missed so much) Dunn the only bonafide power hitter left. I do like Lincecum but not sure I could part with Dunn for him!

Screwball
11-03-2007, 04:01 PM
We struggled scoring when we lost Dunn and Griffey at the end of the year. Griffey is on his last leg (love him and hate that he has missed so much) Dunn the only bonafide power hitter left. I do like Lincecum but not sure I could part with Dunn for him!

A few points to consider:

1.) Hamilton was injured as well. So the entire starting OF was gone last year in September. The scenario I'm talking about is only removing Dunn (for a stud SP).

2.) Dunn and Griffey were replaced by Jason Ellison and Buck-freaking-Coats. My situation has Dunn replaced with uber prospect Jay Bruce.

3.) Should Griffey get injured, Hopper and his career .379 OBP (albeit in only 382 PA) can step in and provide plus defense as well.

I agree with you in that the offense would take a hit initially and personally I'd hate to see Dunn in a different uniform. But the starting rotation would be so vastly improved, I think you have to pull the trigger.

AmarilloRed
11-03-2007, 05:46 PM
There is one thing to remember. Bonds will not be coming back to San Fran next year and Rich Aurilia did not shine last year. I think a trade of Griffey and Gonzalez for Linceum might work under those circumstances

NeilHamburger
11-04-2007, 01:57 AM
I'd offer them Buck Coates, an old Jason LaRue jock strap, Ryan Freel's contract and an old Johnny Bench catcher's mit.

AmarilloRed
11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
The Giants are willing to trade young pitching (maybe even Tim Lincecum) for a stud outfielder.

I copied this from mlbtraderumors.com. It is a bit more specific than "a quality at bat". With Barry Bonds leaving, they will need a good outfielder. I think a straight up trade of Hamilton for Lincecum could work.

Degenerate39
11-04-2007, 10:21 AM
The Giants are willing to trade young pitching (maybe even Tim Lincecum) for a stud outfielder.

I copied this from mlbtraderumors.com. It is a bit more specific than "a quality at bat". With Barry Bonds leaving, they will need a good outfielder. I think a straight up trade of Hamilton for Lincecum could work.

I think it might take a little more than Hamilton. I'd say trade Hamilton, Stubbs, and maybe Dickerson or another minor leaguer.

mound_patrol
11-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Forget lincecum. If we are going to trade our better hitters then we need to get Cain. I think Cain will have a longer, better career then Lincecum. I'm very hesitant of Lincecum and his mechanics.

Stephenk29
11-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Lincecum or Cain would both be a crap shoot. Prior supposedly had perfect mechanics and he can't stay healthy. Although the situation there might be different. Lincecum is still a potential ace and if not that a solid #2. Teams that make the playoffs all have pitching. We need pitching, no one will debate that. We have to pay for it so I don't see why everyone is so reluctant about it.

PopFlyHomer
11-04-2007, 09:02 PM
Lincecum is available? Forgive me for salivating...but after watching 4 of his games this year, it's hard not to be excited at the possiblity this guy could end up here. The down side is that the Giants probably won't accept anything short of Votto and Bruce for this guy.

AmarilloRed
11-04-2007, 10:36 PM
The Giants will accept a stud outfielder. That means they will accept one outfielder if it is a young enough player with a high enough ceiling. Mlbtraderumors.com suggested Delmon Young, but I think the Reds could get it done if they offered Hamilton. They might get Cain if they were willing to trade Bruce, but I think that would be a price too high to pay.

BLEEDS
11-05-2007, 05:50 PM
He could be replaced by Minor League Player of the Year, Jay Bruce. He most likely won't match Dunn's production in his rookie season, but he'd probably fill the void down the road.

the problem with this scenario is that "down the road" is the next right turn - 2009, aka, Exit-Stage Left, KGJ.

Bruce is the heir apparent to KGJ. You trade Dunn away, and you're in the same boat you are now - who replaces Dunn's production?

I would consider Hamilton, but I don't know if Jerry Narron's brother is up for moving. Hamilton is locked up for 5 years before he gets a pay raise. I move him to LF and let Bruce play CF, ONLY to reduce his risk of injury. I then let Slappy McGee (aka Norris Hopper) be my 4th OF-er.

I would NEVER trade Bruce for any young, unproven pitcher. Sure he's flashed, but Bruce is KGJ incarnate by most accounts. 15+ years of 5 Tool Production. You don't let guys like that go, for anything short of Tom Seaver.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Screwball
11-05-2007, 06:13 PM
the problem with this scenario is that "down the road" is the next right turn - 2009, aka, Exit-Stage Left, KGJ.

Bruce is the heir apparent to KGJ. You trade Dunn away, and you're in the same boat you are now - who replaces Dunn's production?

-BLEEDS

It's far easier to get a decent OF bat via free agency than a SP as good and cheap as Lincecum.

Ahhhorsepoo
11-06-2007, 12:38 PM
IF we could con them into taking ol noodle arm in left field I'd be all about that.. if only they were run by mike brown then we could...

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Delmon Young has repeatedly been mentioned as a possibility on mlbtraderumors.com. I believe the Giants are looking for a young, cheap,talented outfielder. It would have to be Josh Hamilton or Jay Bruce.