PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Lo Duca???

OldRed1966
11-02-2007, 11:40 PM
A poster just posted on another site that he heard on ESPN Radio that the Reds agreed to a deal with Paul Lo Duca. I can't find anything about it on ESPN's site. Did anyone else hear this?

stevekun
11-02-2007, 11:48 PM
That would be sweet

BEETTLEBUG
11-02-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't think they can sign FREE Agents till after Nov.12th.

OldRed1966
11-02-2007, 11:56 PM
I don't think they can sign FREE Agents till after Nov.12th.

You're probably right, and the deal wouldn't make much sense anyway with Ross and Valentin already on the roster, and with Lo Duca not having a very good reputation as a defensive catcher.

captainmorgan07
11-03-2007, 12:38 AM
i can't find any sources on the internet to confirm this signing. guess will have to wait and see .

RedsFanWC
11-03-2007, 12:58 AM
A poster just posted on another site that he heard on ESPN Radio that the Reds agreed to a deal with Paul Lo Duca. I can't find anything about it on ESPN's site. Did anyone else hear this?

What other site? This doesnt make much sense so just wondering where you saw it?

mound_patrol
11-03-2007, 01:44 AM
What other site? This doesnt make much sense so just wondering where you saw it?

The only thing I've seen on Paul Lo Duca is that supposedly it was reported on ESPN radio that LoDuca, Glavine, Wilkerson, and Cordero were visiting Cincy.

hippie07
11-03-2007, 02:17 AM
The only thing I've seen on Paul Lo Duca is that supposedly it was reported on ESPN radio that LoDuca, Glavine, Wilkerson, and Cordero were visiting Cincy.

What??! Do you have any more info?

mound_patrol
11-03-2007, 02:34 AM
What??! Do you have any more info?

Nope. I didn't hear this on the radio or know anything more on it. Just saw it on reds.com's message board.

WMR
11-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Nope. I didn't hear this on the radio or know anything more on it. Just saw it on reds.com's message board.
Reds.com Message Board =
http://www.alphacentauri.be/friends/x-files/x/truth.jpg

Screwball
11-03-2007, 04:15 AM
Reds.com Message Board =
http://www.alphacentauri.be/friends/x-files/x/truth.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BoldOD
11-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Likely nothing, but LoDuca would be a good bat and clubhouse guy. Defense however...

AdamDunn
11-03-2007, 11:12 AM
You're probably right, and the deal wouldn't make much sense anyway with Ross and Valentin already on the roster, and with Lo Duca not having a very good reputation as a defensive catcher.

But remember, we did break camp with three catchers on our roster last year.

OldRed1966
11-03-2007, 11:13 AM

bluegrasspreps.com

NorrisHopper30
11-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Oh God, don't overpay for Lo Duca..

Nothing on www.mlbtraderumors.com so I wouldn't put any value into this thread.

GoReds33
11-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I would have no problem if they got LoDuca, though I don't know how much it would cost. LoDuca is a pure professional. He is a terrific clubhouse presence, and he always has professional atbats.

hippie07
11-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Hold on.. back up the train to this quote. This was on ESPN radio?! If so, what does "visiting" mean ... going 2 an event or otherwise vacationing in Cincy ... or were they talking w/ Reds management (if so, wouldn't their agents be doing that) .. what were they taking a tour of the facilities.... I don't understand. Can someone clarify...?

If there's something to this.. I'd be must more interested in talking about Glavine and Cordero then I would LoDuca.. and who is Wilkerson and why would we want him?

Redsfan08
11-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Hold on.. back up the train to this quote. This was on ESPN radio?! If so, what does "visiting" mean ... going 2 an event or otherwise vacationing in Cincy ... or were they talking w/ Reds management (if so, wouldn't their agents be doing that) .. what were they taking a tour of the facilities.... I don't understand. Can someone clarify...?

If there's something to this.. I'd be must more interested in talking about Glavine and Cordero then I would LoDuca.. and who is Wilkerson and why would we want him?

Brad Wilkerson I think

fadetoblack2880
11-03-2007, 01:51 PM

Gotta wonder that if this were actually true, why would they be visiting Cincinnati in early November for any other reason but talking to the Reds. As would signing Lo Duca make little sense unless they had plans for Ross heading elsewhere, which wouldn't bother me at all...

This was on BenMaller.com:

In what might have been a long shot in a better market for catchers, Lo Duca just might find his way back to Flushing. Minaya said he has been in discussions with Lo Duca's representatives. Lo Duca's agent, Andrew Mongelluzzi, did not return calls or e-mails Thursday seeking comment, but Minaya sounded optimistic that Lo Duca could return. "I've been in contact with Lo Duca's agent," Minaya said. "We have good interest in Paul Lo Duca." -- Bergen Record

TC81190
11-03-2007, 04:58 PM

1.CF Hamilton
2.2B Phillips
3.LF Dunn
4.3B Encarnacion
5.RF Griffey
6.1B Hatteberg
7.C Lo Duca
8.SS Gonzalez

IF Keppinger
IF/OF Freel
OF Hopper
OF Wilkerson
C Ross
IF Cantu

P1. Harang
P2. Arroyo
P3. Glavine
P4. Bailey
P5. Belisle

MR Bray
MR Salmon
MR McBeth
MR Weathers
SU Burton
CL Cordero

:thumbup:

Screwball
11-03-2007, 05:06 PM
1.CF Hamilton
2.2B Phillips
3.LF Griffey
4.3B Encarnacion
5.RF Bruce
6.1B Hatteberg
7.C Lo Duca
8.SS Gonzalez

IF Keppinger
IF/OF Freel
OF Hopper
OF Wilkerson
C Ross
IF Cantu

P1. Harang
P2. Lincecum
P3. Arroyo
P4. Bailey
P5. Belisle

MR Bray
MR Salmon
MR McBeth
MR Weathers
SU Burton
CL Cordero

I like yours, but I like mine even better.:thumbup:

Z-Fly
11-03-2007, 06:15 PM

They must have went to the recent UFC fight or something.

Reds Freak
11-03-2007, 06:19 PM
1.CF Hamilton
2.2B Phillips
3.LF Dunn
4.3B Encarnacion
5.RF Griffey
6.1B Hatteberg
7.C Lo Duca
8.SS Gonzalez

IF Keppinger
IF/OF Freel
OF Hopper
OF Wilkerson
C Ross
IF Cantu

P1. Harang
P2. Arroyo
P3. Glavine
P4. Bailey
P5. Belisle

MR Bray
MR Salmon
MR McBeth
MR Weathers
SU Burton
CL Cordero

No Votto? I would like to hear some reasons why Glavine would come to Cincinnati...

Stephenk29
11-03-2007, 06:27 PM
No Votto? I would like to hear some reasons why Glavine would come to Cincinnati...

I don't think there are any. What would possibly make him want to come here? People want to finish their careers going for titles, not trying to be competitive.

TC81190
11-03-2007, 07:10 PM

Oops, I did forget Votto. But I was just assembling the team based upon how it would look if they DID sign the guys who were supposedly visiting Cincinnati.

AmarilloRed
11-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh God, don't overpay for Lo Duca..

Nothing on www.mlbtraderumors.com so I wouldn't put any value into this thread.

Exactly. If it's not on mlbtraderumors.com, it can't be a credible rumor.:)

Jay Bruce
11-03-2007, 08:21 PM
If the Reds sign LoDuca, I will be one sad Panda. He will already be 36 in 2008, is a poor defender, and very overrated with the bat. He has a career .758 OPS, inflated by a fluky 2001, where he OPS'd .917. Since then, he hasn't even sniffed the .800 OPS barrier, and last year, had a .689 OPS with a putrid .311 OBP. While his stats may improve somewhat in GABP, the Reds would likely be paying for reputation over actual talent (which has always been ridiculously overstated).

Screwball
11-04-2007, 03:47 AM
If the Reds sign LoDuca, I will be one sad Panda. He will already be 36 in 2008, is a poor defender, and very overrated with the bat. He has a career .758 OPS, inflated by a fluky 2001, where he OPS'd .917. Since then, he hasn't even sniffed the .800 OPS barrier, and last year, had a .689 OPS with a putrid .311 OBP. While his stats may improve somewhat in GABP, the Reds would likely be paying for reputation over actual talent (which has always been ridiculously overstated).

I agree with you on the stick (how can one argue against it?), but IMO the catcher is the most important defensive position on the field. If we have a catcher that is able to a.) have a good rapport with the pitching staff - which is to say they have confidence in a proven player; b.) catch throws to home plate from the OF (Ross seems to think those are plasma grenades), and (non-defensive, but still) c.) carry a decent bat (what marginal player doesn't in GABP?), then why not go ahead and upgrade at one of the few player positions that need upgrading? Age/cost is a huge factor, but it's a solid upgrade, IMHO.

Jay Bruce
11-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I agree with you on the stick (how can one argue against it?), but IMO the catcher is the most important defensive position on the field. If we have a catcher that is able to a.) have a good rapport with the pitching staff - which is to say they have confidence in a proven player; b.) catch throws to home plate from the OF (Ross seems to think those are plasma grenades), and (non-defensive, but still) c.) carry a decent bat (what marginal player doesn't in GABP?), then why not go ahead and upgrade at one of the few player positions that need upgrading? Age/cost is a huge factor, but it's a solid upgrade, IMHO.

I see what you're saying, but the reputation of LoDuca is that of an offensive minded catcher with 'intangibles' up the ying-yang. In a free-agent market with a dearth of legitimate starting catching options, someone is likely to shell out for LoDuca. Based on his stats not matching his reputation, I believe that it would be a very bad investment for the Reds to be that team.

Ross isn't great, but seems to have a good rapport with the likes of Harang and Arroyo, and a pretty good throwing arm. In addition, he only had a .228 BABIP, which was pretty unlucky. Basically, Ross has a good chance to rebound next year, and does enough defensively to make going after a LoDuca a move I would not consider.

If the Reds did decide to go after another a catcher, I would much rather take a chance on Michael Barrett. I know he was pretty bad last year, as his .653 OPS attests to, but he was coming off 3 straight .800+ OPS seasons with the Cubs before that. Because of his off year and percieved attitude problems, he can probably be had for a lower price than the other options, with more potential to exceed expectations.

*BaseClogger*
11-04-2007, 11:17 PM
yeah, but Pauly Big Nuts would give us proffesional at-bats...

AmarilloRed
11-04-2007, 11:25 PM
We have Ross and Valentin; we should not carry a third catcher again. If the Reds were going to go the free agent route with regard to catcher, they would have declined Valentin's option.

11-05-2007, 04:02 AM
I don't know why everyone is so desperate to use up resources to get a new catcher. Granted Ross had a bad offensive year last year, but his defense was great. I guess Red fans are spoiled by Johnny Bench, but most teams are happy with a catcher as strong defensively has Ross, no matter what he hits.

His numbers match up well per AB with the Molina brothers, who everyone raves about. Their teams are very happy with them, because they understand how imortant a strong defensive catcher is.

Earl Weaver was quoted as saying that he would have kept Rick Dempsey as his #1 catcher even if he hit .000 for the year. Even if Ross never improves offensively, I am happy with him as the starting catcher for the Reds.

Redsnake
11-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Brad Ausmus is considered the best or close too it when it comes to defense and calling games. He never hits for average and barely contributes offensively. Yet most teams would have them on there team in a heartbeat. Ross may not be Ausus in calling a game. But he is above average among other ML catchers. And IMO defensively Ross is better, with a much better stick.

Orenda
11-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Ross obviously has a strong arm and is good against base runners, but other than Im not so sure how great of a defensive catcher he is. He seems uncomfortable on close plays at the plate, and who was the one calling all those first pitch fastballs for Todd Coffey?

BLEEDS
11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
vacationing in Cincy

Who VACATIONS in Cincinnati, PERIOD, let alone in NOVEMBER?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
11-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Cordero, the closer?

mound_patrol
11-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Cordero, the closer?

Yeah the closer. My opinion on all this stuff is that its all made up. I think it's possible the Reds are interested in LoDuca, and I'm sure they'll take a look at Cordero. But I highly doubt any of those guys were in Cincinnati over the weekend.

ChatterRed
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
I thought Lo Duca had some off the field girlfriend/wife problems?

AmarilloRed
11-05-2007, 03:01 PM
he Rockies are also expected to sign a veteran catcher to help Chris Iannetta along. Ringolsby names Yorvit Torrealba, Jason Kendall, and Paul Lo Duca as the options.

Everybody can relax, the Rockies will sign Lo Duca(whew).