PDA

View Full Version : How dumb is Charlie Weis?

Chip R
11-03-2007, 08:26 PM
40 seconds to go. Tie ball game. 4th down 8 yards to go on the Navy 24 and instead of kicking a possible go-ahead field goal he goes for it on 4th down and Notre Dame doesn't make the 1st down and they lose in triple OT.

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Is this one of them thar reeetorecal questions??

RedFanAlways1966
11-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Very dumb. I was watching it and thought the place kicker must have torn his ACL or broke his leg... if not, then very dumb. Is winning by three against a team the school has beat 43 straight times not enough for Charlie? I guess winning by three is better than losing by two.

My vote for 2nd dumbest call goes to UC's Brain Kelly. Up by 5 points w/ 28 seconds left and you set up for a 40 yard FG on 4th down. Tries to run a fake FG! Tackled for a big loss at the 40 yard line. After two good gains, South Florida ends up with two shots from the 18 yard line to win the game and almost does it on the 1st try. UC still wins, but SF would have never had a decent chance to win w/out the dumb call. I am not a UC backer, but I am sure a few UC fans on this site were cursing the dumb call made on 4th down.

guttle11
11-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Charlie Weis is so dumb that he is not a very smart person.

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:47 PM
LMAO!!! All 3 respondents have so far gone with option #2... guess we have an early consensus that that's the dumbest option of those presented. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WMR
11-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Make it 5!!

Poor Jerry!! :laugh:

GoReds33
11-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Atleast the Milton deal seemed like a decent idea at the time. I didn't watch the game, so what was the reaction from the commentators?

KronoRed
11-03-2007, 09:22 PM
Baffling move

Chip R
11-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Atleast the Milton deal seemed like a decent idea at the time. I didn't watch the game, so what was the reaction from the commentators?

Even the NDBC guys were stunned.

MWM
11-03-2007, 09:37 PM

The Milton deal was NEVER a good idea. And there's very few things that could ever happen in sports dumber than the Milton signing.

But yeah, I'm not sure what Weis was thinking.

GoReds33
11-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Even the NDBC guys were stunned.Thanks Chip. I would have watched the game, but I was too focused on the Bearcats game.

I know what would happen if he were in the NFL. He would be fired the next day. A move like this is just terrible. It's not even like they have a good offense. Their offense couldn't move the ball against a high school defense. What was he thinking?

marcshoe
11-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Still, it wasn't dumber than pinch-hitting Castro or signing Milton. Since I haven't been following the NFL this year, I'll give Marvin Lewis the benefit of a doubt and say that Weiss is dumber than he is. That seems fair.

I would guess, though, that of the four choices, the box of hammers may be the sharpest.

GAC
11-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Maybe he doesn't believe in Hail Mary's? :lol:

paintmered
11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Brian Kelly almost beat this decision today.

On the USF 25 with under a minute to play and a 5 point lead, Kelly tries a fake field goal on 4th and 15ish. The play gets busted up and USF gets the ball on the 40 with about 40 seconds left. USF nearly scored the winning touchdown.

GoReds33
11-03-2007, 11:10 PM
The Milton deal was NEVER a good idea. And there's very few things that could ever happen in sports dumber than the Milton signing.

But yeah, I'm not sure what Weis was thinking.Atleast they showed that they would spend money. That's where a deal can be decent at times. Though Milton was terrible for the Reds, atleast his signing showed fans that the Reds wern't afraid to spend money. They took a risk. Charlie Weis took a risk. Which was worse? I really don't know.:)

Chip R
11-03-2007, 11:28 PM
They took a risk. Charlie Weis took a risk. Which was worse? I really don't know.:)

There are different levels of risk. Charlie Weis' risk was like choosing to walk across some street in a subdivision or walking across I-75 in front of a semi-truck.

redsfanmia
11-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Charlie Wies is a genius and it was all Ty Willingham's fault.

traderumor
11-04-2007, 06:55 AM
The only thing I can think of better than watching ND fall to 1-8 is if UM had that record...or got beat by a "Playoff Division" school. The funny thing is that before the 2006 Fiesta Bowl, there was a lot of pregame hype about how giving Charlie all that time to prepare will spell doom for the Buckeyes. I think the only thing it did was give him the opportunity to have more free spaghetti dinners at Mamma Mia Pappa Pia's.

traderumor
11-04-2007, 06:58 AM
BTW, I've been thinking of doing a "Leave Marvin Alone" You Tube video :cool:

Chip R
11-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Weis' explanation was that the FG was against the wind and the kicker wasn't making them in practice. Pretty weak explanation if you ask me.

Oh, and ND still gets $1.3M. In a 2005 agreement with the Bowl Championship Series, they are guaranteed 1/66th of net revenues in a compromise involving the total payout when they do qualify for a BCS game.

Unassisted
11-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Maybe Charlie was just throwing Navy a bone to keep them from deciding that 45 seasons was long enough to be Notre Dame's punching bag? ;)

PickOff
11-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Only five votes for "dumber than Marvin Lewis". What does this say about Marvin, LOL?

traderumor
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Only five votes for "dumber than Marvin Lewis". What does this say about Marvin, LOL?That the Bengals are having a losing season.

Puffy
11-04-2007, 06:55 PM
I think the only thing it did was give him the opportunity to have more free spaghetti dinners at Mamma Mia Pappa Pia's.

Boy, your such a good christian

Making fat jokes about a guy who has had the gastric bypass surgery. Boy, you are just one fine individual!!

Puffy
11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Weis' explanation was that the FG was against the wind and the kicker wasn't making them in practice. Pretty weak explanation if you ask me.

Oh, and ND still gets $1.3M. In a 2005 agreement with the Bowl Championship Series, they are guaranteed 1/66th of net revenues in a compromise involving the total payout when they do qualify for a BCS game.

Well, it wasn't as dumb as everyone is making it out to be. ND had had no problem getting 4 years all day, their kicker is just bad from any distance, and he was trying to gain more yardage to make it a chip shot to guarantee he'd make it.

It wasn't what i would have done, but they ask kickers before games what yardage they feel comfortable at and maybe a 42 yarder was too high, especially against the wind.

But I personally still would have kicked it.

traderumor
11-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Boy, your such a good christian

Making fat jokes about a guy who has had the gastric bypass surgery. Boy, you are just one fine individual!!Dude, I weigh 300 pounds, so if anyone knows about the sin of gluttony...you might want to do ignore or take it private, because that post is more about your personal problems with me than being offended.

Chip R
11-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Well, it wasn't as dumb as everyone is making it out to be. ND had had no problem getting 4 years all day, their kicker is just bad from any distance, and he was trying to gain more yardage to make it a chip shot to guarantee he'd make it.

It wasn't what i would have done, but they ask kickers before games what yardage they feel comfortable at and maybe a 42 yarder was too high, especially against the wind.

But I personally still would have kicked it.

Sure it was that dumb. It was 4th and 8 not 4th and 4. Hey, you never know. Touchdown Jebus could have turned the wind around and blew the kick through the goalposts. Stranger things have happened. I don't know if Weis just had a brain cramp or he was just trying to look like a genius if he had made the 1st down. Whatever his reasons they were dumb and it wasn't the reason they lost but it didn't help them win.

lo ryder
11-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Weis' Irish and Lewis' Bungles. Keep the faith fellas for you are both born losers.

MWM
11-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Weis' Irish and Lewis' Bungles. Keep the faith fellas for you are both born losers.

That's not really called for. Both guys have reached the very peak of a very competitive profession. Calling them "born losers" just shows a complete lack of perspective on anything. They might not be cut out to be head coaches in the long run, but they're both very qualified and have accomplished more in their lives than you or I probably ever will.