PDA

View Full Version : Browning, Doran to work with Reds minor-leaguers

robmadden1
11-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Browning, Doran to work with Reds minor-leaguers
Baseball notebook
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

One of the things Bob Castellini said he wanted to do when he took over the Reds was honor the club's rich tradition.

The club turned to its past Friday in hiring a couple of guys to help with future prospects.

Tom Browning and Bill Doran, teammates on the 1990 World Series champion team, were hired to be minor-league instructors.

Browning will be the pitching coach for extended spring training and Rookie Billings. Doran will be the minor-league baserunning/infield coordinator.

"They're both very qualified," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "They both expressed an interest in working for the Reds. They both have the ability to teach. We're excited to have them."

Browning has worked as a spring training instructor since Castellini took over.

"He was ready to make the full-time commitment," Krivsky said.

Doran spent the last two seasons as Buddy Bell's bench coach in Kansas City.

Doran has a lot of history in the Reds' organization. He was an instructor in the minor-league system from 1995 to August 1999. He spent a year as the club's minor-league field coordinator, and then was director of player development from November 1999 to September 2000.

He was a special assistant to GM Jim Bowden in 2000, then served as the big-league first base coach for the 2001 season.

Browning and Doran will spend a lot of time with younger prospects. Krivsky says their major-league background is important there.

"The thing is their ability to communicate the mental side of it," Krivsky said, "not just the mechanical, but what it takes mentally."

$350M MAN? The Yankees were told by agent Scott Boras that they could not meet with Alex Rodriguez unless they presented an extension offer that guaranteed the star $350 million "as a floor."

Boras' remarks, first reported Friday by ESPN.com, were made Oct. 25 during a conversation between the agent and general manager Brian Cashman, a baseball official said Friday, speaking on condition of anonymity because those details were not made public.

Rodriguez had $81 million remaining over the final three years of his $252 million, 10-year contract. The Yankees were prepared to offer him an extension worth $25 million-$30 million a season for four or five years.

Boras then notified the Yankees on Sunday that the star third baseman was opting out of the contract to become a free agent.

New York said repeatedly it would not negotiate if he opted out. "Brian's made it clear, and I've made it clear," Hank Steinbrenner said Friday.

BONDS SPEAKS: Barry Bonds thinks he has been unfairly targeted for whatever problems baseball has had with the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

"I truly believe I have been singled out. Definitely," he said in an interview aired Friday by MSNBC.

After 15 seasons with his hometown San Francisco Giants, the 43-year-old left fielder said he wouldn't be a problem for any team that signs him.

BillDoran
11-04-2007, 12:36 AM
I've been waiting for this opportunity for what seems like ages.

robmadden1
11-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Me too Bill Doran.