PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Shopping Miguel Cabrera

SultanOfSwing
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Who would you trade to get Cabrera? Homer Bailey? I certainly would. In fact, Cabrera is likely the only position player I would trade almost anyone to get.

The article mentions that the Marlins likely would except a package with Buchholz or Hughes. So offering Bailey, etc. would probably do it.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/11/marlins-shoppin.html

Marlins Shopping Miguel Cabrera

This is a promising hot stove season with tons of angles to entertain us. Miguel Cabrera shouldn't get lost in the shuffle - this is a bona fide 24 year-old superstar, and he's available via trade.

Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post lists the reasons - Cabrera is entering eight-figure salary territory, and he's been getting lazy. Capozzi's teams source says the idea of the Marlins signing Alex Rodriguez has no substance. But they would certainly trade Cabrera if they received a sweet package as they did for Josh Beckett. Translation: Phil Hughes or Clay Buchholz. Joel Sherman's source says this won't be an auction - the Marlins will target players and teams and make their demands. You have to imagine Hughes and Buchholz are on that short list. Michael Silverman expects the Red Sox to inquire on Cabrera, among others.

Capozzi also indicates that Dontrelle Willis is likely to stay put.

Stephenk29
11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Anyone and any combination of anyone.
He will be just 25 at the beginning of next year....scary.
I don't even care if he gets all that fat, put him at first.
I can handle our own version of Pujols or Ortiz.
He's two years younger than Hamilton and a proven stud major leaguer.

mound_patrol
11-05-2007, 12:23 PM
He would be a good guy to target. Doesn't help our pitching or defense though. Also at MLB traderumors it was saying how the O's confirmed they are listening to offers and willing to trade Bedard, and also the Devil Rays are willing to trade Kazmir for younger arms. Those are two guys I'd really go after.

*BaseClogger*
11-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I'd offer Hamilton, Bailey, and Hatteberg and see if they bite... That would free us up to trade Encarnacion for pitching...

1 Tool Player
11-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Does the fact that he is only 24, fat and getting fatter, and entering eight figure salary territory bother anyone else? I'd like to have him, but if you can't stay in shape when you're young I can testify that it doesn't get any easier later on...

*BaseClogger*
11-05-2007, 01:58 PM
We could move fatty to first base and trade votto instead of encarnacion for pitching...

Z-Fly
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Does the fact that he is only 24, fat and getting fatter, and entering eight figure salary territory bother anyone else? I'd like to have him, but if you can't stay in shape when you're young I can testify that it doesn't get any easier later on...

+ Where are you going to play him?

mound_patrol
11-05-2007, 02:03 PM

If you had Cabrera you would begin shopping either Edwin or Dunn and he would take one of those two positions. I would like to have him, but not for what it would cost us in players and money.

bounty37h
11-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I'd offer Hamilton, Bailey, and Hatteberg and see if they bite... That would free us up to trade Encarnacion for pitching...

No way I would do this without more being added to the deal, too many key pieces on our side there for a position we are not really at need to upgrade, though I admit it would be an upgrade, but if we trade those pieces, it needs to be for a difference maker for the team-aka, pitching.

AmarilloRed
11-05-2007, 02:56 PM
I would not trade any of our young talented position players unless we got a proven starting pitcher back.

Will M
11-05-2007, 04:09 PM
agree with just about everyone !?

Cabrera is a BAD defensive 3rd baseman.

Plus we need pitching, pitching, and pitching.

mroby85
11-05-2007, 07:49 PM

I have to say i never thought i would see this with miguel cabrera and the cincinnati reds being the two topics of discussion, lol.

*BaseClogger*
11-05-2007, 07:56 PM
OK, so we send Hamilton, Bailey, and Hatteberg and get say Cabrera and Kevin Gregg... Move Cabrera to first base and trade Votto for a starter... whats not to love?

BUTLER REDSFAN
11-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I know you have to trade talent to get talent but some of you guys are just nuts...too many people on here ready to trade 3 or 4 players on one player?!?!!? i know we need pitching but you're ready to give up 35-40% of our offense????!?whatever happened to just straight up one for one trades?

Vada Pinson Fan
11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I know you have to trade talent to get talent but some of you guys are just nuts...too many people on here ready to trade 3 or 4 players on one player?!?!!? i know we need pitching but you're ready to give up 35-40% of our offense????!?whatever happened to just straight up one for one trades?

Great Point Butler!!! How can the Reds afford to trade away cheap, young talent for Miguel Cabrera when all decade long we have needed Top notch PITCHING?

(If we had) A very good to great pitching staff- the offense we currently have is good enough to go far into post season playand quite possibly win it all.

Boston Red
11-05-2007, 09:01 PM

Wherever the hell he feels like playing. This kid is the Latin Babe Ruth.

Vada Pinson Fan
11-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Keep in mind Cabrera had 23 errors in 2007 and a .941 FP at 3rd. I pass on Cabrera and concentrate on getting solid pitchers.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 12:31 AM
OK, so lets look at the trade I propose:

Reds get: Cabrera (move him to first, stop worrying about the defense), Kevin Gregg (OK, now we have made our offseason bullpen upgrade)

Marlins get:Josh Hamilton (didn't stay healthy), Homer Bailey (how much did he contribute to our 72 wins last season), and Scott Hatteberg (I moved Cabrera to first, remember!) *edit* if this sounds lopsided, we could throw in Maloney

So how do those 3 players account for 35% of our offense? Plus, we COULD UPGRADE OUR PITCHING BY MOVING VOTTO AND/OR ENCARNACION!

mroby85
11-06-2007, 12:38 AM
OK, so lets look at the trade I propose:

Reds get: Cabrera (move him to first, stop worrying about the defense), Kevin Gregg (OK, now we have made our offseason bullpen upgrade)

Marlins get:Josh Hamilton (didn't stay healthy), Homer Bailey (how much did he contribute to our 72 wins last season), and Scott Hatteberg (I moved Cabrera to first, remember!) *edit* if this sounds lopsided, we could throw in Maloney

So how do those 3 players account for 35% of our offense? Plus, we COULD UPGRADE OUR PITCHING BY MOVING VOTTO AND/OR ENCARNACION!

i like it, if i could i would trade dunn for pitching though, and move votto to left.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 12:43 AM
i like it, if i could i would trade dunn for pitching though, and move votto to left.

ok, works for me, as long as we spend some of that money we save by moving Dunn... Maybe get an insurance policy like the vastly underrated Brad Wilkerson... he could put big numbers in GABP...

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 01:22 AM
I believe the Yankees will make a strong push for Miguel Cabrera to replace A-Rod at third.

DannyB
11-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Here is the Sun-Sentinal story

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/baseball/marlins/sfl-flspmarlins06nbnov06,0,2443704.story

Redsnake
11-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Keep in mind Cabrera had 23 errors in 2007 and a .941 FP at 3rd. I pass on Cabrera and concentrate on getting solid pitchers.

Cabrera would be a RH power hitter that will seperate some of the LH bats in the lineup. Only 24 years old and a average well in the 300.
Two lines that I love .329AVG RISP and .428AVG Bases loaded.
I think I can live with the errors.

My proposal.
Cabrera And Willis

Reds give:
Votto, Bailey/or Cuerto, Hamilton and Belisle.

ChatterRed
11-06-2007, 08:44 AM
I trade Bailey straight up for Cabrera. Cabrera is a proven commodity. I'm not sold on Bailey.

And if the rumors of Votto being trading for pitching are true, I'd nab Cabrera and move him to 1B. Isn't he righthanded? We need another power hitting righthander.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Why the love for Dontrelle Willis? Cost is higher than return...

BUTLER REDSFAN
11-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Why is everyone so sure Cabrera would want to go to 1st base? Everyone knows how most of these ballplayers are now...always them and not what the team needs

Jay Bruce
11-06-2007, 01:17 PM
The only way it would make sense for the Reds to trade for a guy like Cabrera, while giving up a lot of our young talent, was if we were going to get some inexpensive years out of him, in order to be able to obtain additional talent to compete with. However, Cabrera just made 7.4 million in arbitration, will be looking for large raises over the next two years, and then will need a contract extension in line with A-Rod's. How can the Reds afford him, while also getting more pitching, assuming at least one of Bailey or Cueto go to the Marlins for Cabrera? I would love to have a guy like Cabrera in our lineup, but it is not realistic at this point.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 02:10 PM
The only way it would make sense for the Reds to trade for a guy like Cabrera, while giving up a lot of our young talent, was if we were going to get some inexpensive years out of him, in order to be able to obtain additional talent to compete with. However, Cabrera just made 7.4 million in arbitration, will be looking for large raises over the next two years, and then will need a contract extension in line with A-Rod's. How can the Reds afford him, while also getting more pitching, assuming at least one of Bailey or Cueto go to the Marlins for Cabrera? I would love to have a guy like Cabrera in our lineup, but it is not realistic at this point.

Use Milton's money to pay for Cabrera this year, Griffey's money next year... The pitching we get in return for EE or Votto shouldn't be that expensive, assuming Castelini will make a small payroll increase...

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I may have mentioned this before, but Milton's money is going to pay increases to current players on the roster. There is no pot of gold coming from Eric Milton.

Stephenk29
11-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Wasn't last year Cabrera's first full year at third after switching from left? I think he will improve a great deal. He still won't be a Scott Rolen, but he will be adequate. Plus the Reds just picked up the Cubs old infield coach who did wonders for Aramis.

Vada Pinson Fan
11-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Cabrera would be a RH power hitter that will seperate some of the LH bats in the lineup. Only 24 years old and a average well in the 300.
Two lines that I love .329AVG RISP and .428AVG Bases loaded.
I think I can live with the errors.

My proposal.
Cabrera And Willis

Reds give:
Votto, Bailey/or Cuerto, Hamilton and Belisle.

Cabrera and Willis? Where's all this money, to pay for their contracts, going to come from? Willis at the All-Star break said of himself- "Why would anyone want to trade for a sore-arm pitcher?"

"Pitching AND Defense wins baseball games."

I also believe as AmarilloRed does- The Yankees will try their best to acquire Cabrera.

We've got these young players (Votto,Bailey,Bruce, Hamilton, Cueto and Maloney) under control, salary wise, for 4 or 5+ years.
From that group I'd only trade Hamilton and older Reds such as Freel, Hatteberg but I'm not sure about trading Edwin Encarnacion. Probably best to keep EE.

What kind of team/players do Reds fans want? A team like the Chicago Cubs where ownership doled out $300 million last off-season, or a team like the Milwaukee Brewers with young talent that nearly made the playoffs? I'd like the Reds to keep their young stars because we haven't had an infusion of great talent like this in many, many years.

Let's look at recent Reds history: The Reds acquired one of the all-time great players (at that time- Feb.2000) and for that money spent (over $110 million+ deferred payment interest) not a single playoff game. We have to draft wisely/successfully and develop our own players.

Best Wishes,
Vada Pinson Fan

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 09:12 PM
You make some good points. A lot depends on the starting pitching and the bullpen. We have Harang and Arroyo for the next 3-4 years and if we are going to make the playoffs, we need to do it by then. Cueto and Bailey need to show significant progress at the major league level, and the Reds need to make smart decisions in free agency. I like Cabrera, but is picking him up going to lead to a playoff appearance? We cannot spend our way to the playoffs like the Yankees can, but we can spend the money we have wisely.

ChatterRed
11-07-2007, 01:41 PM
The only reason I can think of to acquire Cabrera is to bolster our RH power hitting and offset all the LH power hitters we have. EE isn't that power hitter (yet). Phillips is. But we need more than one. Plus, Cabrera hits pretty well for average too.

mound_patrol
11-07-2007, 01:59 PM
The only reason I can think of to acquire Cabrera is to bolster our RH power hitting and offset all the LH power hitters we have. EE isn't that power hitter (yet). Phillips is. But we need more than one. Plus, Cabrera hits pretty well for average too.

If we are looking to add a right handed power third baseman then I'd target Zimmerman from Washington. Cabrera will cost too much for what he's worth in my opinion.

The Cowboy
11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Cabrera is one of the best young players in baseball and i would do this in a heartbeat.. Plus once he gets too expensive we could dump him to a team with a higher payroll for a plethera of players (maybe wishful thinking)..

hippie07
11-09-2007, 04:29 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071109&content_id=2296796&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

Looks like the Marlins are looking for young infielders & of course pitching in a trade for Cabrera... think they'd consider Phillips, EdE, and one of our top pitching prospects (not Bailey or Cueto)??

After pitching... the next important thing the reds need is a good right-handed bat, IMO. Cabrera would be nice.