PDA

View Full Version : Pitchers Available in Trade

hippie07
11-05-2007, 09:08 PM
I, like some of you I'm sure, am itching for some baseball gossip. I thought it would be interesting to discuss what pitchers are available or rumored to be available through trade. I'm not as talented in stats and baseball knowledge that some of you all are, so I was looking for some other opinions.

I was just wondering which pitchers you all were interested in/ which would have the best success in GABP and fit in with our needs/ who are you willing to trade in order to get them.

I'm aware of the recent names being tossed around: Linecum, Kazmir, Bedard, Santana. Are there any others? Which would you want?

*BaseClogger*
11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Those are the big names, so here are some lesser names I have heard of (not insisting these are all good ideas)-
(scale of 1 to 3 on how well they would fit in GABP, 1 best, 3 worst)
Scott Olsen 2
Josh Towers 3
Cliff Lee 3
Ian Kennedy 2
Jon Lester 2
Barry Zito 3
Dontrelle Willis 3

Plus don't foget that Dan Haren's name has been mentioned...

gedred69
11-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Two pitchers I would like, Neshek, or Wilson. Twins gotta' be interested in Hamilton, as they will lose Hunter. Rangers, well, they suck and could use a healthy Hamilton. to build around.

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 12:34 AM
I mentioned Boof Bonser and Kevin Slowey. I think they are 3s for now, but they could becomes 2s or even 1s in the future.

robmadden1
11-06-2007, 06:10 AM
I'd like it if we went after Barry Zitto.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I'd like it if we went after Barry Zitto.

I HOPE THAT WAS SARCASTIC...

RedsFanWC
11-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Jon Garland's name has been thrown out there in a bunch of rumors as it looks like the White Sox are interested in moving a pitcher. Dont know how he would fit in GABP and I believe he is a free agent after this season. Probably not the best fit for the Reds, if they give up young talent like Hamilton or Votto or EE they need a long term commitment from the pitcher they are getting back.

I know the Tigers recently traded some young pitching for renteria but if they are still willing to listen to offers for Nate Robertson (as was rumored awhile back) that would be a guy the Reds should go after. A young lefty coming from the AL could be very successful in the NL and for the Reds as a #2 or #3 starter.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Jon Garland's name has been thrown out there in a bunch of rumors as it looks like the White Sox are interested in moving a pitcher. Dont know how he would fit in GABP and I believe he is a free agent after this season. Probably not the best fit for the Reds, if they give up young talent like Hamilton or Votto or EE they need a long term commitment from the pitcher they are getting back.

I know the Tigers recently traded some young pitching for renteria but if they are still willing to listen to offers for Nate Robertson (as was rumored awhile back) that would be a guy the Reds should go after. A young lefty coming from the AL could be very successful in the NL and for the Reds as a #2 or #3 starter.

yup, I forgot about Garland. Agree- Nate Robertson would be good but how many years does he have left on his contract?

hippie07
11-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I think sometime early on people were talking about Joe Blanton ... I think he would be a good fit because he's someone we could possibly sign long-term. He's from Kentucky and went to UK which is a good sign because supposedly his family's here and (being from the same area myself) I'd say there's a good chance he grew up a Reds fan.

Anyone still interested in him? Who would you be willing to give up for him?

mound_patrol
11-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I think we could honestly go after any pitcher we wanted. If our front office set their sites on someone we have the assets to aquire them. Hopefully our front office can target the right guy and get him without overpaying. Of the guys that have been rumored to be available I think Bedard from Baltimore is the best guy to go after. I like going after him because the O's are interested in getting young offensive players which we have to offer with Hamilton, Votto, and Edwin. I also like going for Bedard because he misses bats and can work further into a game then say Kazmir who seems to struggle to ever make it out of the 6th inning.

BEETTLEBUG
11-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Have the Giants had enough of Zito?

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Joe Blanton lives on the edge too much and relies too heavily on his park and defense... I don't think he misses enough bats for GABP...

Redsnake
11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Contreras, Burnett and Snell has been mentioned.

mound_patrol
11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Contreras, Burnett and Snell has been mentioned.

I don't make a move on Burnett unless we can rework his contract. I'm not interested in one year rentals, and that's all he'd be with that opt out claus.

bounty37h
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I think we could honestly go after any pitcher we wanted. If our front office set their sites on someone we have the assets to aquire them. Hopefully our front office can target the right guy and get him without overpaying. Of the guys that have been rumored to be available I think Bedard from Baltimore is the best guy to go after. I like going after him because the O's are interested in getting young offensive players which we have to offer with Hamilton, Votto, and Edwin. I also like going for Bedard because he misses bats and can work further into a game then say Kazmir who seems to struggle to ever make it out of the 6th inning.

Mound Patrol, great post, we CAN go after any pitcher we want, its a matter of if owners will pony up the money to bring em in, this we cant afford em crap is crazy, its if we WILL afford them. I am not talking aby of these lets break the bank contracts, but to be competetive without a salarycap, you have to be willing to spend some.