PDA

View Full Version : Jose Guillen Busted for Steroids

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Jose Guillen Busted For Steroids

Say it ain't so, Jose. Free agent right fielder Jose Guillen just saw his stock plummet, as the Game of Shadows guys nailed him for prolonged HGH and steroid use. Well, at least for purchasing almost $20K worth of various performance-enhancers from May 2002 to June 2005. He actually had steroids shipped to him at the Oakland Coliseum. Matt Williams and Ismael Valdez were also implicated, sadly. All three used the same dentist Paul Byrd did, calling his story into question a bit.

Guillen spoke out against steroid use earlier this year, saying he "never considered" using them. He might be back to where he was a year ago, finding an incentive-laden contract guaranteeing around $5MM. So much for three years, $30MM guaranteed. Guillen was already known as a mercurial character, and this just compounds the concerns.

I am sorry for him. This will definitely also hurt Paul Byrd's credibility.

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, that is the first ex-Cincinnati Red linked to this stuff... right?

BuckU
11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Cameron was the first, I think

NorrisHopper30
11-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Cameron was the first, I think

I believe Cameron's were not steroids or HGH, but some type of medication? It was only a 25 game suspension from what I heard.

Screwball
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I am sorry for him.

Not me. He made a conscious choice to cheat. It's players like him (and there will be a bunch of their names come out here soon) that have tainted this whole era of baseball, and they should be reviled by fans of the game.

Orenda
11-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Scott Shoenweiss got popped too didn't he?

GoReds33
11-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Scott Shoenweiss got popped too didn't he?Yep. That wasn't a name I was expecting.

Didn't they say that report was going to be out about now. If so, Jose Guillen won't be the only one we will be talking about.

redsupport
11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
how about the prodigious Ryan Jorgenson

*BaseClogger*
11-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Cameron was for amphetamins

AmarilloRed
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Not me. He made a conscious choice to cheat. It's players like him (and there will be a bunch of their names come out here soon) that have tainted this whole era of baseball, and they should be reviled by fans of the game.

I am always sorry whenever any player cheats themselves and The Game by taking performance-enhancing drugs. I would think the lesson has been learned that short-term reward will not help them after they get caught.

mlbfan30
11-06-2007, 11:01 PM
Anyone think Wily Mo Pena could have also taken them.... possibly initially with Guillen?

Degenerate39
11-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Well, that is the first ex-Cincinnati Red linked to this stuff... right?

Bret Boone

kaldaniels
11-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Jose Guillen Busted For Steroids

Say it ain't so, Jose. Free agent right fielder Jose Guillen just saw his stock plummet, as the Game of Shadows guys nailed him for prolonged HGH and steroid use. Well, at least for purchasing almost $20K worth of various performance-enhancers from May 2002 to June 2005. He actually had steroids shipped to him at the Oakland Coliseum. Matt Williams and Ismael Valdez were also implicated, sadly. All three used the same dentist Paul Byrd did, calling his story into question a bit.

Guillen spoke out against steroid use earlier this year, saying he "never considered" using them. He might be back to where he was a year ago, finding an incentive-laden contract guaranteeing around $5MM. So much for three years, $30MM guaranteed. Guillen was already known as a mercurial character, and this just compounds the concerns.

I am sorry for him. This will definitely also hurt Paul Byrd's credibility.

After seeing the Reds play the M's this year and seeing skinny Jose...if you'd ask me to place my money on one player in the league whose name hadn't already been linked to roids that had taken them...I'd have doubled down on Guillen.

gedred69
11-07-2007, 09:53 PM
I saw Wily Mo up close a few years ago as the Reds left the field in Ft. Myers. Nice guy. But damn, those muscles didn't look natural. He looked like somebody from that "wrasslin' bunch". Didn't one of those guys kill his family?

Bip Roberts
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
I wish more of our former players did HGH especially if it means we get guys like Harang in return.