PDA

View Full Version : UC Basketball right around the corner!

SeeinRed
11-06-2007, 04:22 PM
Just curious to what the expectations are. I even added a "not sure" option for those of you who feel strongly enought in neither direction but find it prudent to take the extra time to cast your vote so others know where you stand. You will prove your point I'm sure. That should be one of those "Real Men of Genius" commercials. Heres to you, Master of the middle. Like many politicians you aren't sure where you stand and you want to make damn sure everyone knows. So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, Titan of the Timid, because in the end you stand firmly, right on fence... Thats the short version of course. I'm limited in time.

I don't think this season looks great, but I do expect some improvement. I have liked the Mick Cronin hire from the beginning. I know some UC alums who really think he will get the team back to where it was with Huggins if not further. I think it will take some really lucky breaks because I believe they took a huge hit recruitment with the Huggins firing. I don't know how you pick that back up without a coach with a big name unless you get some luck and win. They have an uphill battle ahead of them. I don't see them a a team that will come in any better than .500 at best. Could be wrong, but the Big East is tough and the injury of Mike Williams was huge. Pretty easy non-conference, but the Big East is just a monster.

For those interested, here is a schedule:

Fri. Nov. 9 Belmont (23-10, 14-4 Atlantic Sun) FOX19 8p.m.

Sat. Nov. 10 Western Carolina (11-20, 7-11 SoCon) FOX19 7 p.m.

Sun. Nov. 11 Bowling Green (13-18, 3-13 MAC) FOX19 8 p.m.

Fri. Nov. 16 Coastal Carolina (15-15, 7-7 Big South) FOX19 7 p.m.

Sat. Nov. 24 Fairfield (13-19, 10-8 MAAC) FOX19 1 p.m.

Mon. Nov. 26 South Carolina Upstate (17-11, 9-7 Peach Belt) FOX19 8 p.m.

Sat. Dec. 1 at UAB (15-16, 7-9 C-USA) CSTV TBD

Sat. Dec. 8 at Illinois State (15-16, 6-12 MVC) FOX19 8 p.m.

Wed. Dec. 12 at Xavier (25-9, 13-3 A-10) ESPN2 7 p.m.

Wed. Dec. 19 Mempmphis (33-4, 16-0 C-USA) SPN2 7 p.m.

Sun. Dec. 23 at NC State (20-16, 5-11 ACC) FSN 7:30 p.m.

Sat. Dec. 29 vs. Miami (OH) (18-15, 10-6 MAC) - U.S. Bank
Arena FOX19 8 p.m.

Tue. Jan. 1 at Louisville * (24-10, 12-4 BIG EAST) ESPN 2:30 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 5 at St. John’s * (16-15, 7-9 BIG EAST) ESPN Classic 6 p.m.

Wed. Jan. 9 SYRACUSE * (24-11, 10-6 BIG EAST) FOX19 8 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 12 VILLANOVA* (22-11, 9-7 BIG EAST) ESPNU 7 p.m.

Tue. Jan. 15 at Notre Dame * (24-8, 11-5 BIG EAST) ESPNU 7 p.m.

Sat. Jan. 19 PITTSBURGH * (29-8, 12-4 BIG EAST) FOX19 4 p.m.

Wed. Jan. 23 CONNECTICUT * (17-14, 6-10 BIG EAST) CinCW 7:30 p.m.

Sun. Jan. 27 at Seton Hall * (13-16, 4-12 BIG EAST) FOX19 Noon

Wed. Jan. 30 at West Virginia * (27-9, 9-7 BIG EAST) ESPN2 7 p.m.

Sat. Feb. 2 MARQUETTE * (24-10, 10-6 BIG EAST) CinCW Noon

Sat. Feb. 9 at Rutgers * (10-19, 3-13 BIG EAST) ESPN Classic 6 p.m.

Wed. Feb. 13 ST. JOHN’S * ESPN2 7 p.m.

Wed. Feb. 20 USF * (12-18, 3-13 BIG EAST) ES ESPNU 7 p.m.

Sat. Feb. 23 at Georgetown * (30-7, 13-3 BIG EAST) CinCW Noon

Wed. Feb. 27 at Pittsburgh * CinCW 7:30p.m.

Sun. March 2 PROVIDENCE * (18-13, 8-8 BIG EAST) ESPNU N Noon

Thu. March 6 DEPAUL * (20-14, 9-7 BIG EAST) ESPN360 7:30 p.m.

Sat. March 8 at Connecticut * FOX19 4 p.m.

Wed.-Sat. March 12-15 BIG EAST Conference Tournament (Madison Square Garden)

* BIG EAST Conference Game.
All times are Eastern.
Game times and dates are tentative and subject to change.

Go Bearcats!

GoReds33
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
The team would have done better if Henry would have been eligible, but they will still be much better than last year. I think that Wilks will be a star at the university, as will Alvin Mitchell. Mitchell is James White, but a much better outside shooter. He can jump out of the building. I really like those two player's ceilings. Next year's class should be even better. I hope they can build on the comittment of Gates. He's a beast, and he is one of their top comittments in a long time. Let's hope more of his type of player follow suit.

Chip R
11-06-2007, 04:55 PM
It's going to be mighty difficult for UC to be where they were with Huggins because they play in the Big East. Can they dominate the conference for a year or 2? Absolutely. But it's tougher in the Big East and UC fans better realize that it's going to be a stretch to go 28-3 every year. And, to be honest, except for that Final Four appearance, those Huggins teams were disappointing in the NCAAs. Perhaps Cronin can improve on that. Moving to the Big East was a good move. I truly believe that you get better by playing tough teams and I think it shows in the NCAAs.

Cyclone792
11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
The Big East schedule is self-explanatory; no college hoops conference can compete with the amount of talented depth the Big East has.

Interesting non-conference games include vs. Memphis, @ Xavier (a given), @ NC State (ACC squad), @ UAB (normally one of the better CUSA teams), and @ Illinois State (MVC has been improving dramatically).

As far as how I think the 'cats will do, yes they will finish over .500, but many of their wins will be against their weaker non-conference opponents. A good season in my eyes is making the NCAA tourney, and a disappointing season will be finishing near the bottom of the Big East.

SeeinRed
11-06-2007, 05:07 PM
It's going to be mighty difficult for UC to be where they were with Huggins because they play in the Big East. Can they dominate the conference for a year or 2? Absolutely. But it's tougher in the Big East and UC fans better realize that it's going to be a stretch to go 28-3 every year. And, to be honest, except for that Final Four appearance, those Huggins teams were disappointing in the NCAAs. Perhaps Cronin can improve on that. Moving to the Big East was a good move. I truly believe that you get better by playing tough teams and I think it shows in the NCAAs.

I think a record of 20-11 in the Big East is an equal to or greater than a 28-3 record in C-USA. But thats a mighty high goal. Being in the top 5 in the Big East consistently will be a great accomplishment that would probably be equal to what Huggs did IMO. CUSA wasn't tought untill the last few years UC was in it. The teams did a lot of great things, but I don't think they would have looked nearly as good in a conference of the caliber of the Big East.

CrackerJack
11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Although Williams was sort of an unknown for this team - his injury really kills them this year, they needed him inside badly. Adam H will help, but he's another unknown of sorts, and he'll only be here for one year.

This is another rebuilding year IMO. Next season is when I really start to judge Cronin as a coach, and not just a recruiter I guess.

paintmered
11-06-2007, 07:32 PM
.500 and above, but not by more than a game or two.

First of all, they will be much improved over last year by default. I think there was only one returning letterman last year and a bunch of jucos and freshman. Cronin had to recruit to fill his roster because he entered so late in the game. But he had a full year to recruit for 2007 and the top-15 class speaks for itself.

Talent, size and depth are up across the board for this year, but the Cats are still very raw and unexperienced and will (in the view of some) disappoint due to their inexperience. I think they will finish with around 16-17 wins and could sneak into the NIT if things go well. If Williams didn't get hurt for the season, I would have predicted 19-21 wins. However, it is what it is and the Bearcats are weaker because of it.

The talent level will again rise for next year and I expect the Bearcats to return to a level close to the prime-Huggins years and will compete for the Big East championship.

SeeinRed
11-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Although Williams was sort of an unknown for this team - his injury really kills them this year, they needed him inside badly. Adam H will help, but he's another unknown of sorts, and he'll only be here for one year.

This is another rebuilding year IMO. Next season is when I really start to judge Cronin as a coach, and not just a recruiter I guess.

As a recruiter, I think Cronin has done a better job than I could have expected. There was a lot of turmoil at UC. Not only on the court, but with alumni. To come in and get this team to respectability was a huge task, assuming they are at a respectable level this year. There is no reason to think they won't be. I don't know much about Cronin's coaching ability, but he has worked under Huggs and Pitino. There could be worse mentors, thats for sure. The only thing that scares me is the shadow that Huggs left. Sometimes guys try to fill those big shoes instead of trying to do their own thing. Mick isn't Bob Huggins. He won't be the hot tempered coach who constantly yells at his players to keep them in line. He won't be recruiting the same type of players. He won't be running the same smothering defense and fast paced offense that Huggs installed, at least IMO. Not saying he won't have a fast team, or a good defense, but it won't be the same as what we were used to with Huggs. I hope to see a more organized offense. More of a team oriented style of play. I think that was the downfall of Huggs teams.

SeeinRed
11-07-2007, 11:51 AM
Per Josh's Blog:

Wilks has been cleared

First reported by T-bone, I've confirmed Darnell Wilks has been cleared to begin playing in time for UC's season opener Friday. Which, I'm sure, is a sigh of relief to many people who believe the NCAA has it in for the Bearcats (Adam H., Hernol Hall, etc.).

I'll talk to Mick and Wilks before practice today.

Also, thought this was interesting. The Big East announced today that all 16 teams will begin participating in the men's and women's basketball conference tournaments, beginning in 2009. The school presidents decided this at the their annual meeting on Nov. 6 in Philadelphia.

From the Big East:

Currently, the top 12 teams in the final regular-season standings advance to participate in the men's and women's championships.

The new format will have the teams seeded 9 through 16 meet on the first day of competition. The matchups will be No. 9 vs. No. 16, No. 10 vs. No. 15, No. 11 vs. No. 14 and No. 12 vs. No. 13.

The winners of those four games will meet seeds 5 through 8 on the second day of play. The 9/16 winner will advance to play the No. 8 seed. The 10/15 winner will play the No. 7 seed. The 11/14 winner will meet the No. 6 seed. The 12/13 winner will play the No. 5 seed.

Those four winners will advance to play the top four seeds in the quarterfinal round. Thus, the top four seeded teams still will not play until the quarterfinals, which occurs in the current 12-team format.

Should help the team out a little.

On the Big East Tourney, I think it was the right thing to do. I like the fact that everyone has a shot at the automatic bid.

bucksfan2
11-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Im not sold on Cronin just yet. I don't think last season was a real opportunity to judge the type of coach Cronin is. To be honest he has 1 guy who belonged playing big 10 basketball and that was Vaughn. This year will be important to see how the freshmen develop. This year and the next will show what type of coach Cronin really is.

NorrisHopper30
11-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Im not sold on Cronin just yet. I don't think last season was a real opportunity to judge the type of coach Cronin is. To be honest he has 1 guy who belonged playing big 10 basketball and that was Vaughn. This year will be important to see how the freshmen develop. This year and the next will show what type of coach Cronin really is.

You're serious? He was coaching a bunch of JUCOs that never touched the floor of a D1 basketball game, let alone Big East.

This recruiting class and next years should give you a good reason to love Mick. As for coaching, I can't judge him yet until I see how well these kids develop.

Let me know the next time a team goes 10-17 (somewhere around there) and ends up with the 13th best recruiting class in the nation.

GoReds33
11-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Im not sold on Cronin just yet. I don't think last season was a real opportunity to judge the type of coach Cronin is. To be honest he has 1 guy who belonged playing big 10 basketball and that was Vaughn. This year will be important to see how the freshmen develop. This year and the next will show what type of coach Cronin really is.In last year's opener when they were playing NKU, the Norse had more division 1 experience than the Bearcats. That should tell you all you need to know. They had to get fillins. Mick simply got the best JUCO players he could get. Part of that plan was to get JUCO players, because they would graduate quickly, and he could then start bringing in really good players. It will all come in time.:)

paintmered
11-07-2007, 05:54 PM
In last year's opener when they were playing NKU, the Norse had more division 1 experience than the Bearcats. That should tell you all you need to know. They had to get fillins. Mick simply got the best JUCO players he could get. Part of that plan was to get JUCO players, because they would graduate quickly, and he could then start bringing in really good players. It will all come in time.:)

Yep, last year's team had two, count 'em, two returning players and only one retuning letterman. The other was Ron Allen, a former NAIA player and Katrina refugee, and he saw serious playing time by default last season.

It was a mini-miracle that UC had enough players to even field a team last year. There aren't many Big East basketball schools that have to raid the football roster to find an undersized power forward (Conner Barwin).

Cedric
11-07-2007, 11:45 PM
How easy is the schedule? There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that UC goes .500 in the Big East. They are a very weak team again this year.

Cedric
11-07-2007, 11:46 PM
You're serious? He was coaching a bunch of JUCOs that never touched the floor of a D1 basketball game, let alone Big East.

This recruiting class and next years should give you a good reason to love Mick. As for coaching, I can't judge him yet until I see how well these kids develop.

Let me know the next time a team goes 10-17 (somewhere around there) and ends up with the 13th best recruiting class in the nation.

Obviously players aren't dumb. They see a Big East team with openings ALL OVER the court. Mick Cronin did a terrible job coaching during games last year, I was there and many would agree. Hopefully he learns and does a better job this year. I'm not sold either.

bucksfan2
11-08-2007, 11:36 AM

I understand that he had a very poor team last year and basically give him a pass. This year, from the start to the end, will go a long way to showing what kind of coach Cronin is. I am neither fully behind him or against him. I think the freshman and Vaughn need to show improvement over the legnth of the season. I also want to see how well he Cronin coaches up his players. Whether he gets his players to play at a higher level, to play with better competition.

SeeinRed
11-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I think the Cronin hire was a decent hire reguardless of what happens. The guy had a decent pedigree as an assistant coach and I definately think that helps. Lets face it, UC wasn't going to go out and get a big name coach. Basketball was the furthest thing from (the one who's name I must not speak) the President's mind. They weren't going to fork out the cash. Why not get a guy who wants to coach at UC, has been there before, and coached under some of those big name coaches. I don't know what kind of coach UC could have pulled in. To be quite honest, I don't even remember the other coaches that were in the race, if any, other than AK. I liked AK but he knew the program was set up to fail for a few years, his boss was fired the year before, and he got a chance to coach a team that he actually wanted to coach for personal reasons. He didn't want to come back.

Cronin has made some mistakes, probably because last year was so tough and he was trying to hard to get something going. He's young and he'll learn. He could have had worse mentors, that for sure. Huggs and Pitino are two coaches who get the best out of their players, and at times even turn player's lives and careers around. Not bad people to learn from.

Based on the team last year, and the above, I'm willing to give him the benifit of the doubt. The only thing that worries me is that he tries to become Huggins or Pitino, or that fans expect a Huggins or a Pitino. He has to find his own way to coach. Hopefully he will find his way realitively quickly, and fans will be patient as he finds his way.

CrackerJack
11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
As a recruiter, I think Cronin has done a better job than I could have expected. There was a lot of turmoil at UC. Not only on the court, but with alumni. To come in and get this team to respectability was a huge task, assuming they are at a respectable level this year. There is no reason to think they won't be. I don't know much about Cronin's coaching ability, but he has worked under Huggs and Pitino. There could be worse mentors, thats for sure. The only thing that scares me is the shadow that Huggs left. Sometimes guys try to fill those big shoes instead of trying to do their own thing. Mick isn't Bob Huggins. He won't be the hot tempered coach who constantly yells at his players to keep them in line. He won't be recruiting the same type of players. He won't be running the same smothering defense and fast paced offense that Huggs installed, at least IMO. Not saying he won't have a fast team, or a good defense, but it won't be the same as what we were used to with Huggs. I hope to see a more organized offense. More of a team oriented style of play. I think that was the downfall of Huggs teams.

I was a big fan of hiring Cronin, based on his recruiting abilities alone almost. I think Huggins' downfall was that he operated too much like Marvin Lewis regarding his choice of talent. :) But yes he relied too heavily on one or two individuals, who usually had a poor supporting cast, ecspecially in Huggin's later years here.

Redlegs23
11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree in that Cronin was a great hire. I don't think Mike Thomas could have done a better job with hiring Cronin and Brian Kelly. As far as this basketball season, it will be another long one. Last year's team was horrible, with little to none of the blame going to Mick. They had no business winning a few games they did last year (Xavier, NC State, West Virginia) which gives me some hope for the next few years.

I don't think we'll be able to truly judge Mick as a coach at UC for another 3 years. Last year's recruiting class was a last minute job, and this year's class was similar, even though we got a few quality recruits. Most coaches start recruiting their classes 3 years in advance, and until Mick has had a few years to catch up, I won't be judging him.

NorrisHopper30
11-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Last year's recruiting class was a last minute job, and this year's class was similar, even though we got a few quality recruits. Most coaches start recruiting their classes 3 years in advance, and until Mick has had a few years to catch up, I won't be judging him.

That's an understatement.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=676729
#15 recruiting class on Rivals

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&cfg=bb&c=14&yr=2007
#25 on Scout (not sure if completely updated)

And many other polls have UC in the top 25 recruiting classes in all of the nation.

Mick did all of that with a terrible record, Mick did a stellar job with the recruiting class and already has 2 4 stars locked up for '08 in Yancy Gates and Cashmere Wright.

Cedric
11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
That's an understatement.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=676729
#15 recruiting class on Rivals

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&cfg=bb&c=14&yr=2007
#25 on Scout (not sure if completely updated)

And many other polls have UC in the top 25 recruiting classes in all of the nation.

Mick did all of that with a terrible record, Mick did a stellar job with the recruiting class and already has 2 4 stars locked up for '08 in Yancy Gates and Cashmere Wright.

Top 25 isn't that amazing in college basketball. You need multiple top 25 teams or one huge class to catch up. At this point UC doesn't have the talent to compete in the Big East.

CrackerJack
11-09-2007, 10:13 AM
Top 25 isn't that amazing in college basketball. You need multiple top 25 teams or one huge class to catch up. At this point UC doesn't have the talent to compete in the Big East.

Yet...they have two top 25 classes coming in this year and next....

paintmered
11-09-2007, 05:54 PM
At this point UC doesn't have the talent to compete in the Big East.

I agree. They took a big step with this recruiting class, but it's undeveloped. There are a few more blue-chippers headed to Clifton next year.

UC will be much improved, but they will still end up in the bottom half of the Big East. And that's not a knock on Cronin. The cupboard was beyond bare for him. It's not going to happen overnight.

GoReds33
11-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Tonight should be a good test of this team. The preseason was awful. They almost lost to NKU. How in the world is that possible? None the less, I expect tonight's game to be a good one. If the Cats can pull it out, I see good things in this season. Now I'm not going to be stupid and say they will win 22 games or something, but it will be much better than last season. I predict that they win about 17 games this year, which would be a tremendous step back to where we were.

MWM
11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Ced, I thought you were done with UC basketball after what happened to Huggins. Just curous why the change of heart?

Reds4Life
11-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Ugh, I'm watching the game now, horrible defense and ice cold from behind the arch.

CrackerJack
11-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Rough first half - geesh - this team is as raw as I've ever seen. A harsh reminder that this program needs a couple of more seasons to get back on track.

That said Belmont is a pretty good team from what I can tell. Weren't they a tournament team last year?

Reds4Life
11-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Rough first half - geesh - this team is as raw as I've ever seen. A harsh reminder that this program needs a couple of more seasons to get back on track.

That said Belmont is a pretty good team from what I can tell. Weren't they a tournament team last year?

Made the NCAA's the last 2 years I believe, and won 20+ games last year.

guttle11
11-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Not a UC fan at all (UD fan), but I like Deonta Vaughn. He's scrappy.

Watching the game. Ugly first half saved by Vaughn at the end. He nailed a three, stole the inbound pass and got a layup. 5 points in 3 seconds.

CrackerJack
11-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I guess it's going to be another long year. :)

Reds4Life
11-09-2007, 10:03 PM
I guess it's going to be another long year. :)

You ain't kidding, this team is horrible right now.

GoReds33
11-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I thought that the newfound hight on the inside would free up defenders to go outside and defend the three. Against an undersized team like they were playing tonight they really need to do that. Horribly coached by Cronin.

LoganBuck
11-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Give them time, they are very young and it showed. Belmont is going to be in the running to get back in the tournament again in March. It just showed how far they have to go on defense and the ability to make the next pass was lacking. The freshmen looked indecisive, like they should in their first game.

Redlegs23
11-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Last night was extremely frustrating. At the same time, we all understand that we won't be very good again this year, and Belmont isn't a bad team. The part that bothered me was us settling for so many three's, and letting up so many uncontested three's and layups on the other end. There's a reason 6' white guys are playing college basketball, and it's not because they're great athletes. We need to get out and guard the three.

SeeinRed
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, it was a tough weekend for UC basketball. Its going to take a while for this team to gel IMO. They aren't as bad as they look, but yes, it will be a long year. I don't know what to expect out of this team, but its looking more and more like a sub .500 season. Anyone want to change their vote? I'm usually pretty optomistic, but as rosy as my lenses are, I don't see a good year as far a results. Thats not to say that they can't make progress. We'll see.

LoganBuck
11-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Give them a few weeks. They need time to gel. They have talent.

GoReds33
11-13-2007, 03:17 PM
This team is very young. I will give them the nessecary time to deveolop. Let's hope it's soon though. I can't take much more of this.

CrackerJack
11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I didn't see much hope out there this weekend - that was awful painful.

Might as well throw McClain, Wilkes, Bishop and Davis into the fire and get them as many minutes as you can.

As much as I've tried to hold off on judging Mick as a coach - he's been anything but impressive thus far - these guys look clueless and timid against small school teams - the Big East will obliterate them. Uncle.

SeeinRed
11-13-2007, 04:07 PM
I didn't see much hope out there this weekend - that was awful painful.

Might as well throw McClain, Wilkes, Bishop and Davis into the fire and get them as many minutes as you can.

As much as I've tried to hold off on judging Mick as a coach - he's been anything but impressive thus far - these guys look clueless and timid against small school teams - the Big East will obliterate them. Uncle.

Its not going to be pretty, but I think this will be a great year to find out what Mick has in him. The team isn't great, and they are starting off like they are even worse. They have potential to be respectable at best when you consider the depth or lack thereof. I'm interested to see what he can end up getting out of his team.

Matt700wlw
11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
This isn't Mick's fault....this is all on Nancy.

He's cleaning up her mess....and that will take time.

I believe in Mick Cronin. if UC has another long season this season, my stance will not change.

If in 2 or 3 more years, it's no better...then I will begin to question Mick...

He deserves a free pass........for now.

SeeinRed
11-14-2007, 03:59 PM
This isn't Mick's fault....this is all on Nancy.

He's cleaning up her mess....and that will take time.

I believe in Mick Cronin. if UC has another long season this season, my stance will not change.

If in 2 or 3 more years, it's no better...then I will begin to question Mick...

Completely agree. The basketball program was pretty much completely dismantled under Nancy. Why she felt the need to do that is beyond me. Basketball was the money maker. Luckily for her, football has picked up a lot of the slack, otherwise I think there would still be a large crowd calling for her head. How do you take down a program that brings so much attention and excitement to your college? Yeah, there were problems, but Huggins put that school at the level it was. The whole situation has to go down as one of the worst moves in college history. If the football program hadn't taken off like it did this year, where would UC be right now? Acedemics alone would never carry a school like UC. Especially when considering location. Yeah, they have good programs, but not good enough to live or die by.

SeeinRed
11-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Nice win for the Bearcats last night. Nice recovery from the dissapointing weekend last week. How much of that do you credit to Cronin? For those who missed the game, Vaughn hit 9 three pointers and finished with 36 points. UC cruised in the second half for a 74-59 win.

CrackerJack
12-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Ouch, currently down 21 points to UAB and the Cats look like roadkill.

Cronin has been disappointing, his team's are lethargic and sloppy so far.

Matt700wlw
12-01-2007, 07:41 PM
This current situation in this game is getting chippy.

2 T's on Mitchell, he's tossed, a T on a UAB guy...pushing and shoving, and mouthing off at one another.

Quality.

This is going to get real good once they get into Big East play

Cyclone792
01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Hopefully some very good news on the UC hoops front ...

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/default.asp

Nothing's final yet and no one at UC is commenting, but it appears that 6-7 Western Carolina sophomore forward Nick Aldridge might transfer to UC. You might recall that Aldridge originally committed to UC when Bob Huggins was still the head coach, but changed his mind after Huggins left. He enrolled instead at Western Carolina, where he averaged 18.3 points and 7.0 rebounds last season and scored 22 against UC earlier this season.
I just talked to Aldridge, who attended the UC-Miami game last week, and although he said he's still trying to decide betweenUC and Marshall, he did say that he planned to be in Cincinnnati on Thursday. When I told him that sounds like you have already decided to go to UC, he replied, "You can take it however you want. I'n not going to say anything for sure (until Thursday)."

Matt700wlw
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM
How about 1-0 in the Big East!!! :D

Ok, so it won't last long, but I'll enjoy it :D

TeamBoone
01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd be happy to just be able to watch the games on television... I've seen two on FOX 19. I check the listings daily and have no idea where the Bearcat games have gone.

Until this season, I've always been an avid watcher.

BearcatShane
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
My goal for the 07-08 Bearcats: Get To The Garden! Great shot at 2-0 in Big East play as the take on St. Johns Saturday.

Matt700wlw
01-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I'd be happy to just be able to watch the games on television... I've seen two on FOX 19. I check the listings daily and have no idea where the Bearcat games have gone.

Until this season, I've always been an avid watcher.

Fox dropped them. The Miami game was the last one.

Call it a hunch, but I bet it's about money ;)

paintmered
01-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Fox dropped them. The Miami game was the last one.

Call it a hunch, but I bet it's about money ;)

False. XIX is still going to carry some games this year, but they will be produced by ESPN.

TeamBoone
01-03-2008, 03:25 PM
So, where can I actually watch the games? If FOX dropped them (or at least most of them), is there some other network that televises them routinely?

SeeinRed
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
So, where can I actually watch the games? If FOX dropped them (or at least most of them), is there some other network that televises them routinely?

Here is a pretty good schedule (http://gobearcats.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/cinn/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/07-schedule)including where games will be televised (Its in PDF form). Luckily, most of the will still be televised. The part I hate is not having Josh Katzowitz doing his blog anymore.

The Bearcats continue to make strides towards being a good team again. I really like what Mick is doing with that team. I've said it before, and I will say it again, Mick will get this team on track. Give him some time.

Cyclone792
01-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Fan-Freakin-Tastic!

From Koch's blog ...

It's a done deal. Nick Aldridge is transferring from Western Carolina to UC and is expected to be at practice next week when winter quarter begins.
"I'm coming to be a Bearcat," Aldridge said.
Why UC?
"As he showed in the Big East opener the other day against Louisville, I think Coach Cronin has got a lot of young guys buying into his system," Aldridge said. "I like they way they run and press and I think I'll fit into that pretty well. I think I'll be able to bring a little toughness to the team with there being a lot of young guys. I think Coach will look to me for a little more experience."
Aldridge, a 6-7 sophomore forward from South Webster High School in Portsmouth, will begin to sit out his transfer year immediately and is expected to be eligible at the end of fall quarter next year. He was averaging about 18 points for Western Carolina this season before he decided to transfer.
Aldridge, who originally committed to UC as part of Bob Huggins' 2006 recruiting class only to change his mind after Huggins and UC parted ways, will have to pay his own way for the remainder of this academic year, but will likely be on scholarship next year. He'll have two full seasons of eligibility remaining, plus what's left of next season after fall quarter ends.

GoReds33
01-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Fan-Freakin-Tastic!

From Koch's blog ...It's not that good. He's a player that had to choose between Winthrop and Western Carolina after he decomitted from the Bearcats. Personally, I don't know if he is Big East calliber. He spends too much time outside the arch for 6', 7". I hope this works out, because Mick is a much better evaluater of talent than me.

Cyclone792
01-04-2008, 07:56 AM
It's not that good. He's a player that had to choose between Winthrop and Western Carolina after he decomitted from the Bearcats. Personally, I don't know if he is Big East calliber. He spends too much time outside the arch for 6', 7". I hope this works out, because Mick is a much better evaluater of talent than me.

Worst case scenario is he still adds decent depth. That will have more value to a team like UC in the next few years than most other teams.

SeeinRed
01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
For those interested, Josh Katzowits is now blogging on Bearcat Lair. I really enjoy his blogs, and these are no different. Now, if only we could get somebody to hire both C. Trent and Josh to do online reporting for Cincy Sports. Maybe even a radio show would be really cool. I bet the two of them would be a riot.

BTW, what do you expect out of UC tonight. I expect them to give another great effort after what happened on Sat. I can't wait to see how Mick's team responds. Overall though, I would be surprised for the effort to last thoughout the grind of the season when they are struggling to stay respectable. Should be a great way to tell what kind of coach Mick is. If this team plays hard all season, I will feel really good about Mick being in control. If not, I still hold out a lot of hope, but the argument is a lot weaker. I still believe Mick will have this team playing in the NCAA's in a couple years and making noise soon after. Dominating? That won't be easy in the Big East.

GoReds33
01-09-2008, 05:10 PM
For those interested, Josh Katzowits is now blogging on Bearcat Lair. I really enjoy his blogs, and these are no different. Now, if only we could get somebody to hire both C. Trent and Josh to do online reporting for Cincy Sports. Maybe even a radio show would be really cool. I bet the two of them would be a riot.

BTW, what do you expect out of UC tonight. I expect them to give another great effort after what happened on Sat. I can't wait to see how Mick's team responds. Overall though, I would be surprised for the effort to last thoughout the grind of the season when they are struggling to stay respectable. Should be a great way to tell what kind of coach Mick is. If this team plays hard all season, I will feel really good about Mick being in control. If not, I still hold out a lot of hope, but the argument is a lot weaker. I still believe Mick will have this team playing in the NCAA's in a couple years and making noise soon after. Dominating? That won't be easy in the Big East.I like the matchup tonight. Syracuse isn't comfortable on the road. They have a young team. Hopefully, like Cronin illuded to, we can get some butts in the seats tonight. We need to get in these guy's heads. Maybe we need to foul em hard or something. We need something to get their attention early.

Cyclone792
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Great win for UC tonight against Syracuse. The 'cats won two Big East games all of last year, and this year they've already notched two Big East wins and we're still in early January.

UC has shown plenty of improvement defensively, and it's the defense that earned the win tonight. Their offense is still very suspect other than Vaughn, but it's also shown some improvement too. With where this program has been in the last year plus, improvement is the first step toward rebuilding and UC seems to be taking it.

paintmered
01-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Great win for UC tonight against Syracuse. The 'cats won two Big East games all of last year, and this year they've already notched two Big East wins and we're still in early January.

UC has shown plenty of improvement defensively, and it's the defense that earned the win tonight. Their offense is still very suspect other than Vaughn, but it's also shown some improvement too. With where this program has been in the last year plus, improvement is the first step toward rebuilding and UC seems to be taking it.

Yep. UC is still very young too, so expect a few more performances like St. John's game. They're getting better but there's still a ways to go.

It's great to see this team playing defense and crashing the boards. That can make up for so many shortcomings on the offensive side of the ball. The cats are giving us a glimpse of the not-so-distant future, and it's bright.

Matt700wlw
01-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I think the basketball program is in good hands under Mick Cronin

Matt700wlw
01-09-2008, 10:55 PM
UC was 2-14 last season in the Big East.

So far, they're 2-1

:clap: :clap:

SeeinRed
01-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Quite an impressive game against a very talented Syracuse team. I felt like they had the game under control after they took the lead in the second part of the first half. Their defense is vastly improved and they seem to be coming together as a team. That is the most important aspect of it for me. I think Mick has really pulled this team together. They appear very well coached.

One thing I would really like to see happen now is for them to cut down on the mindless fouls. It just seems like Adam H. can't keep his hands off the opponent in the paint. They are just stupid fouls. Deonta make a lot of them too. I do like the seeing them foul hard when they foul on the fast break to ensure that the shooter can't finish. That is just good fundamentals. Some of them this season have been borderline intentional fouls, but they are making sure they earn the points. Nothing frustrates me more than when a player fouls the opponent close to the basket but just taps his arm. Make him earn the points instead of giving him the extra one.

Also, foul shots. You have got to make more of them. They made them for the most part tonight. The thing that frustrates me is that foul shots are all about practice, repitition and concentration. At that level, 70% is a very attainable goal for the big men. There is no good excuse for being a bad free throw shooter. In fact, 70% should be mediocre. Williamson is almost money to be too strong on the first and perfect on the second. Anybody else notice that? The problem is that kids get into their head that they should shoot 3's and they practice them. I know some people who could shoot lights out from behind the arc, but couldn't shoot a lick from the free throw line. I just never got the point in that. Free throws are the easy points.

Finally, I would also like to see the team more disciplined on offensive sets. They tend to pass around the parimeter and look for an open three. You saw a lot of bad shots against the zone tonight. Just some dribble penetration if nothing else. Attack the seems of the zone. The post game wasn't there for them mostly because of size, but penetration and a kick out would have gave them some better looks and probably opened things up in the medium range if not further underneath. They also seem to make some bad passes. I attribute that to being a young team trying to mesh. I'm not to worried about that yet.

The effort is there, and the talent is adequet. They just need some more experience and time to learn. They are in good hands with Mick. I still don't think they quite get to .500 this year because they have a tough schedule ahead of them. However, they are going to make some noise and in the very near future they will be among the top in the Big East.

Cedric
01-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I think the basketball program is in good hands under Mick Cronin

If you don't care about integrity, loyalty, and class I agree. And yes I'm still bitter and have all the right to be. It might be lame, but I support Andy and Bob only in college basketball. FSN.com has a great article on their site about how Andy was asked to seperate himself from Huggins and agree to not speak about him. Andy did the loyal thing and I will always respect him for that. The other guy interviewing was willing to say and do whatever it took to get the job. I guess that's fine with people that just want W's.

Look at Syracuse and their schedule and you won't be as impressed by this win. Syracuse has played nobody decent on the road and lost against any average team they played. Nice win for UC considering how bad they are I suppose.

SeeinRed
01-10-2008, 08:15 AM
If you don't care about integrity, loyalty, and class I agree. And yes I'm still bitter and have all the right to be. It might be lame, but I support Andy and Bob only in college basketball. FSN.com has a great article on their site about how Andy was asked to seperate himself from Huggins and agree to not speak about him. Andy did the loyal thing and I will always respect him for that. The other guy interviewing was willing to say and do whatever it took to get the job. I guess that's fine with people that just want W's.

Look at Syracuse and their schedule and you won't be as impressed by this win. Syracuse has played nobody decent on the road and lost against any average team they played. Nice win for UC considering how bad they are I suppose.

I think that you may be giving Mick an unfair shake. I hate that Huggins was fired and would've really liked to see AK stay, but there is nothing I can do about it. I said it before and I still don't think that AK would have taken the job if asked. AK knew it was a bad situation. I've met Mick a couple times. I have a family member who is a very close friend. He also handles a lot of Mick's financial planning. I work also work with that family member. I just had the chance to speak with him briefly last week. He is a very classy person, however he is very quiet. That struck me as a little odd, but I wouldn't call it anything but shyness as strange as that sounds. He has always been very pleasant, always willing to talk a little about the team. Out of respect for him, its never gone beyond a simple your team played a very good game, are things improving as much as they appear? I don't try to pry any further than that. My realitive will talk all day about basketball though. He is a former player. Graduated in the mid 80's.

Anyway, that is just my personal expierence with Mick. You are entitled to your own opinion, and it is a respectable one.

On Syracuse, they may not be a ranked opponent, but they are a very solid young team with a lot of talent. The schedule really doesn't change my stance on that. They do however lack some depth and expierence. I would still have to say that they are probably going to win some big games against some very good opponents. Syracuse was a very good win for the Cats IMO.

I understand your frustration all too well buddy, but I hope to have you back as a UC fan sometime soon. It may take firing Nancy for some of us, but I hope the estranged fans come back sooner rather than later.

Redlegs23
01-10-2008, 10:25 AM
If you don't care about integrity, loyalty, and class I agree.

This is interesting to me. If you cared so much about class you probably wouldn't be a huge Bob Huggins fan. I was and still am a Huggs fan, and I hated to see him go. I was a huge supporter of AK and was mad when UC didn't hire him. AK represents all three of those characteristics from what I know of him. Huggs represents two of them. I'm a Huggs fan, but even I can admit he doesn't exactly exude class. In fact, I've heard many, many stories of him acting pretty classless, and even experienced a pretty classless moment of his first hand when I was still in high school.

You should learn to move on instead of being so bitter, it feels pretty good. I'm enjoying the limited success that we're having, and I'm hopeful for the future.

CrackerJack
01-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Less Adam H and more McClain seems to be a winning formula for this team I've noticed. Same with getting guys like Bishop more minutes.

McClain seems to change things underneath with just his presence for now, and they beat both Louisville and Syracuse with him getting more minutes.

I realize Adam is 6'10" and they have no one else other than McClain who can match his size - but he's sooo bad that I almost can't stand to watch him play at all. It's very rare that he does anything positive at all, and usually brings the rest of the team down with his mistakes and poor shooting and defense.

Redlegs23
01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Less Adam H and more McClain seems to be a winning formula for this team I've noticed. Same with getting guys like Bishop more minutes.

McClain seems to change things underneath with just his presence for now, and they beat both Louisville and Syracuse with him getting more minutes.

I realize Adam is 6'10" and they have no one else other than McClain who can match his size - but he's sooo bad that I almost can't stand to watch him play at all. It's very rare that he does anything positive at all, and usually brings the rest of the team down with his mistakes and poor shooting and defense.

I'm not a big Adam H fan either. He's just not very talented. However, people booing him last night was uncalled for. The guy works hard and has a good attitude, there's just no sense in booing a college student who's busting his tail. Also people booed when he went in late in the game. Mick put him in for his free throw shooting, and sure enough he got fouled and hit both free throws before going to the bench. He did his job and still got booed.

SeeinRed
01-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Should be another fun game to watch tonight, what are some of your predictions? I just love watching this team this year. Not as much as the AK year though. They have an exciting feeling about them, I can't quite put my finger on it.

GoReds33
01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Should be another fun game to watch tonight, what are some of your predictions? I just love watching this team this year. Not as much as the AK year though. They have an exciting feeling about them, I can't quite put my finger on it.I'm goin to the game tonight. My brother is a UC student, so I'm going with him. Should be close. Hopefully UC can shoot threes like they have been recently.

Redlegs23
01-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I'll be at the game too. I think we will hold it close, and I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I'll go for the upset, 62-59.

GoReds33
01-12-2008, 05:36 PM
How about predictions for attendence? I'm thinking 11,000 or more. It said they had over ten thousand at the last game.

CrackerJack
01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Crowd looks sort of sparse on the tube, could be wrong.

Adam H doing his best hack job so far, already making mistakes and turning it over.

Down by 3 now...I LOVE how McClain changes things when he comes in - ecspecially against a small team like Nova.

CrackerJack
01-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Welcome to UC Alvin Mitchell, where you been?

Vaughn with 19 points already early in the 2nd half - he's hot and starting to look more like what we saw last year. 6th leading PPG in the BE.

UC hanging in there despite no inside game at all for some reason. Good game.

CrackerJack
01-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Adam H - ugh - he must have 5 turnovers tonight, just awful. For any one thing he does well, he does 3 things poorly. If they would just force him to only rebound and play defense, he would be fine. He can't score or handle the ball in any way.

CrackerJack
01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Talking to myself - great win against a top 20 team tonight and confidence firmly restored in Cronin after the SJU debacle.

And I was dead wrong about the crowd - looks packed actually.

I think the Cats will struggle on the road just about every time, so it would be nice to see them do something there soon.

BTW - Yancy Gates on the tube now - wow he and McClain have sooo much potential - nice to think about for the next 3 years

HotCorner
01-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Congrats to Mick and his team! 3-1 in the Big East when most thought they would be lucky to win 2 games in conference all season.

GoReds33
01-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Talking to myself - great win against a top 20 team tonight and confidence firmly restored in Cronin after the SJU debacle.

And I was dead wrong about the crowd - looks packed actually.

I think the Cats will struggle on the road just about every time, so it would be nice to see them do something there soon.

BTW - Yancy Gates on the tube now - wow he and McClain have sooo much potential - nice to think about for the next 3 yearsThe crowd looked small early because of the ticket counter. I had to stand in line 20 minutes to get a ticket. I got in line as the game was starting. The crowd really picked up though. Announced attendence a bit over ten thousand. They really did show heart out there. This team plays with everything. I can't talk now I was yelling so much.

Redlegs23
01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
That was an incredible game. The Shoe was rockin' and the players played their hearts out. Huge win for the Cats! I love how Mick has them playing right now.

SeeinRed
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Deonta Vaughn won conference player of the week for those interested. He is on heck of a player. Almost makes me forget about losing Downey to USC. Williamson had a huge game also. He was just a monster on the boards. Adam H. showed signs of the guy UC thought they had with him. He wasn't as good as some would like him to be, but the guy sat out last year, struggled at the beginning of the year, and has been trying too hard since IMO. He might not be a great player, but I hold out hope of him being an OK player. Also, Mitchell had a breakout type of game. If all keeps going in this direction, this team could be a really big suprise.

I don't know if it would be worth starting another poll, but if this poll was run now, what would your vote be now, and what was it at the beginning? Do you expect the Bearcats to make the BE tourney? The NIT? Maybe even the NCAA tourney? It might be interesting to run another poll and see the results, I don't know. What do you think? Should there be another poll?

Boss-Hog
01-14-2008, 05:01 PM
I would be thrilled to make the NIT in year two of a complete rebuilding process and I think it's achievable. The NCAA tournament just isn't realistic with eight losses already (and some really bad ones) and the schedule they have yet to play.

SeeinRed
01-14-2008, 05:09 PM
I would be thrilled to make the NIT in year two of a complete rebuilding process and I think it's achievable. The NCAA tournament just isn't realistic with eight losses already (and some really bad ones) and the schedule they have yet to play.

I would have been thrilled with a BE Tourney appearance after the absolute mess Mick took over. I voted they would be below .500 this year, thats what type of shape I thought the program was in. I still don't know that I would change my vote, but things look a lot better now.

Boss-Hog
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I would have been thrilled with a BE Tourney appearance after the absolute mess Mick took over. I voted they would be below .500 this year, thats what type of shape I thought the program was in. I still don't know that I would change my vote, but things look a lot better now.
Yeah, I also felt the same way as you as the beginning of the year in that I would have been thrilled qualifying for the Big East Tournament, though I did vote for above .500 in this poll (ever so slightly). However, after seeing them in action the past eight games or so, I think the NIT is a realistic goal, though it's certainly no guarantee. However, if they can continue playing as hard as they are now, I think they have a solid chance.

SeeinRed
01-15-2008, 04:06 PM
How big would a win be tonight? A road conference win would go a long way to prove to themselves that they are as good as they appear right now. It won't be easy. The number one concern has to be rebounding tonight. I don't know if they get the win tonight, but it should be a very good game to watch. I am more excited now than I have been in a very long time for a Bearcat basketball game. Maybe its just me, but I think this game is a very big game for the Bearcats. Of course I don't know how much it means if they lose. Maybe not that much, they just lost to a better team.

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm not real happy right now - the on-screen guide for Insight and every TV listing says the UC/ND game is on ESPNU, and I rushed home to catch it - but they are showing the OSU/MSU game.

Ugh!!!

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm not real happy right now - the on-screen guide for Insight and every TV listing says the UC/ND game is on ESPNU, and I rushed home to catch it - but they are showing the OSU/MSU game.

Ugh!!!

Technical difficulties. They better fix them

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 07:09 PM
Ok it's on now. :)

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 07:17 PM
So far, this is far from quality from anybody.

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Some really, really questionable officiating on both sides of the court so far.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Inconsistant officiating drives me crazy.

Tonight....I'm getting driven crazy.

GoReds33
01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
I hope UC can keep fighting. I don't think the home court advantage is as much when the other team continues to compete.

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Up by 7 at half - hope they can pull this one out. Belton doing a good job inside.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
This would be huge!!!

GoReds33
01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
This would be huge!!!You can say that again. The Bearcats need to show that they are for real. Recently, they have done just that.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Some more crappy officiating...

GoReds33
01-15-2008, 08:15 PM
40-35. UC staying with them.

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
McClain looks a step behind tonight on defense with the foul trouble. Looks like ND's talented big man is stepping it up in the 2nd half. UC only up by 3 and ND with 2 FT's to come.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Adam H continues to be unimpressive...

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Bah, Cats falling apart at the seams, 10 point deficit, ND has made something like 4 or 5 three's in a row. Oh well. Can't see them coming back from this.

GoReds33
01-15-2008, 08:31 PM
It looks like we are completly falling apart. We need a couple baskets to get back in this. UC is too good to let some of these stupid plays happen.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Never count out the Cats...

GoReds33
01-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Never count out the Cats...I'm thinking about it.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 08:40 PM
You can probably count them out now....they're just flat being out everythinged.

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow, just a complete collapse and now a blow out. Vaughn having a terrible game. Not too impressive, and why my excitement remains at bay. They won a couple of unexpected games last year also. Better this year, but, you can't play like this on the road so often.

McClain really has to play somewhat well for them if they want to compete in games like this, and for whatever reason he just hasn't recently. They have no answer on defense inside, and they can't stop ND's offensive set-ups at all still.

Matt700wlw
01-15-2008, 08:49 PM
As Rick Minter once said, they're still a progress in work.

CTA513
01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
UC is 5 for 24 from 3 pt range.

Cyclone792
01-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Enjoyable first half. Forgettable second half.

We've seen some of their potential recently in games against Louisville, Syracuse, and Villanova, and we've also seen some of the ugliness recently in St. John's and the second half tonight in Notre Dame.

I hope they're able to land in the Big East tournament, and that's my realistic goal for this season. They already do have three Big East wins, and they've got another four or five winnable Big East games. I wouldn't classify tonight's game as a winnable game, and it showed once the second half started.

CTA513
01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
UC lost 91-74 and Notre Dame had 42 free throw attempts.

Redlegs23
01-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Man that second half was frustrating. Hopefully they rebound in a big way Saturday against Pitt. Tonight's game goes to show how difficult it is to win on the road in the Big East. 7 point halftime lead turns into a 17 point loss.

CrackerJack
01-15-2008, 10:00 PM
UC gave up 64 points in the 2nd half - wow.

NorrisHopper30
01-16-2008, 08:30 AM
70% from the field in the 2nd half for ND, eww.

SeeinRed
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
As bad as the second half is to watch, I think this game was encouraging in the fact that if the Bearcats could have played at the level they did in the first half for the full 40 minutes, they would have walked out of there with a win. The difference was the D IMO. They were very good in the first half. They controlled the post and didn't chase the ball around like they did in the second half. When you are in a zone defense, you can't be flying around trying to make a steal or a block everytime the player has the ball. If you over pursue and get caught chasing like they did in the second half, you are going to open things up. How many others got frustrated that they were jumping at every player on the perimeter? They left so many shots open by watching the ball instead of the player. ND was able to capitalize and knock down a lot of shots. It looked like a dog when you hold a bone in front of them and move it around. The dog fixates on the bone instead of the entire picture and then faked out when you act like you throw the bone. Thats how bad they looked.

I don't know if UC got to cocky and were trying to make plays on D, or if they were just caught flat footed and unable to get themselves going causing them to try too hard, but the second half was an absolute disaster. I think the next thing this team needs to work on is their composure. Stay with your game and don't worry when the other team scores a couple quick points. Play the entire 40 minutes.

BearcatShane
01-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Big Game vs. Pitt today at 4. This is huge, lets hope the Shoe is rockin' and UC is off to a 4-2 start in Big East play by this Evening.

SeeinRed
01-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Just read this post on Bill Koch's blog:

nancy zimpher comments

One of our news reporters, Cliff Peale, conducted an interview with Nancy Zimpher this morning. They touched on many issues, just a few of which were related to athletics. Here's some of what she had to say about athletics:

UC met its quota of 9,000 or so fans for the bowl game and ended up making a profit on the game.

On the bubble and practice fields that are included in Brian Kelly’s new contract, she said any project would have to go through the university's normal budget process and the athletic department would have to raise its own money, which is what Mike Thomas has said all along.

She acknowledged that the costs of big-time sports, including coach's contracts and practice fields, are kind of surprising to her.

"I think our business planning could have been more front-loaded,” she said. “This is sort of a referendum on what it takes to be competitive in the Big East. I don't think we aspire to be the biggest program in the Big East. But it hits the pocketbook when you talk about comparable facilities. It hits the pocketbook when you talk about comparable coaches' salaries.”

It pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Nancy. She doesn't aspire to be the best, she just aspires to be average when it comes to athletics. That is probably the most disturbing part of her reign at UC. We don't need to win, just compete. Well, how do you think you make money off athletics? By putting an average team out there? Come on now. Do here, Lindner and Mike Brown all hang out together and talk about running a sports team/program? She may do wonders for the acedemic side of things, but it doesn't have to come at the expense of the athletics side. That really lowers my hopes of keeping BK around for any length of time.

Cedric
01-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Just read this post on Bill Koch's blog:

It pretty much tells you everything you need to know about Nancy. She doesn't aspire to be the best, she just aspires to be average when it comes to athletics. That is probably the most disturbing part of her reign at UC. We don't need to win, just compete. Well, how do you think you make money off athletics? By putting an average team out there? Come on now. Do here, Lindner and Mike Brown all hang out together and talk about running a sports team/program? She may do wonders for the acedemic side of things, but it doesn't have to come at the expense of the athletics side. That really lowers my hopes of keeping BK around for any length of time.

She hasn't done wonders for the academic side. She's been pathetic. Student morale is at all time lows and the University is in economic chaos across the board. Most common citizens don't know much about how a University if being run and how things are going. They just assume that things are good because she fired the big, bad Huggs. They would be wrong. She has been terrible in every facet.

GoReds33
01-19-2008, 10:21 AM
She hasn't done wonders for the academic side. She's been pathetic. Student morale is at all time lows and the University is in economic chaos across the board. Most common citizens don't know much about how a University if being run and how things are going. They just assume that things are good because she fired the big, bad Huggs. They would be wrong. She has been terrible in every facet.I wouldn't say terrible. Now I was, and am a big Huggins backer. I was at his last home game he coached here. His firing was possibly deserved. Now on the academic and university side, I don't think she is doing too bad. Campus is looking better than ever. Sure, the whole university hit a snag with Varsity Village. There are projects that should be accomplished though. I hope she can get us over the budget crisis though.

SeeinRed
01-19-2008, 10:49 AM
She hasn't done wonders for the academic side. She's been pathetic. Student morale is at all time lows and the University is in economic chaos across the board. Most common citizens don't know much about how a University if being run and how things are going. They just assume that things are good because she fired the big, bad Huggs. They would be wrong. She has been terrible in every facet.

I don't really know much about the acedemic side at the moment. I haven't been there for about a year, but I do trust what you say to be true. It really does suprise me that she still has a job here. She was brought in to "clean-up" UC, but the only thing she did was get rid of the coach that brought the college back to being relevant. Why do you extend the person you brought in to do your dirty work? She did whay you brought her in to do, and she has not done a single thing well. The Huggins fiasco was an absolute mess for the school both in PR and money. From what I know it was all over a personal grudge. When will it end.

Hoosier Red
01-19-2008, 11:25 AM
To be fair, she didn't say she had no aspire to be the best program. Just said she didn't aspire to be the biggest. I think it's more of a budget thing.

I doubt the Boston Red Sox aspire to have the highest payroll in Baseball, but I imagine their goal is the be the best team in baseball.

Matt700wlw
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
UC giving it to #16 Pitt!!!

Up by 13 with 6 minutes to go!!!!

CrackerJack
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM
UC up by 13 late with 6:26 left....

CrackerJack
01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
And they pull it out by 3 - nice block by Bishop at the end, risky, but it worked.

4-2 in BE, 2-2 versus ranked teams. Big win.

GoReds33
01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Great win... again. This team is smashing expectations.

Bip Roberts
01-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Great win... again. This team is smashing expectations.

3 wins would be almost smashing expectations haha

BearcatShane
01-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Wow. 4-2 in the Big East now. A win over UConn Wednesday would be huge.. and It's at the Shoe.

GoReds33
01-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Is anybody going to the game on Wednsday? I'm gonna go. This team has finally roped me back in. I really hope the place is full though. It's sad that with all these great wins, it's still not filled up.

Matt700wlw
01-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I think teams may start fearing coming to the Shoe again!!

Those who have ditched the program because of the Huggins incident are missing quite a show. I didn't like how it was handled, and still don't....but I refuse to take that out on Mick Cronin and those players...

SeeinRed
01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Our beloved Bearcats are taking on the Huskies tonight. Matt, couldn't agree more buddy. I thought that ditching the program over that was wrong in the first place. It was a lose-lose situation. I always thought that it proved more to myself to be a fan despite Nancy than to give up on my team because of her. Its not like it proves anything to her either way. She is evil anyway, she feeds off negativity. ;)

Anyway, I'm feeling a Bearcats victory tonight. I'm going to say 73-68 UC. Anybody else got some predictions?

GoReds33
01-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Our beloved Bearcats are taking on the Huskies tonight. Matt, couldn't agree more buddy. I thought that ditching the program over that was wrong in the first place. It was a lose-lose situation. I always thought that it proved more to myself to be a fan despite Nancy than to give up on my team because of her. Its not like it proves anything to her either way. She is evil anyway, she feeds off negativity. ;)

Anyway, I'm feeling a Bearcats victory tonight. I'm going to say 73-68 UC. Anybody else got some predictions?I'm gonna be there tonight. I really hope it's a great game. It should be. The crowd should be around 11,000 hopefully. I'm goina to say the Cats win by less than ten.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Bump.

CrackerJack
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Refs call 3 ticky tack fouls in a row and don't call travel on Thabeet and Huskies come all the way back from 7 down in about 10 seconds.

Huskies are 10 for 11 from the line

UC = 0 for 0

Almost end of half

CrackerJack
01-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Somehow they survive all of that nonsense (UConn has shot something like 15 or 16 FT's and only missed one) to head into the half up by 3.

Seems as though the Cats would get blown out of the water if this game was on the road

paintmered
01-23-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm trying to catch my breath after that first half. The Bearcats, who have been uber-slow tempo all year, come out pressing and running.

This one is going to be close either way.

CrackerJack
01-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Vaughn dominates the game at home

Matt700wlw
01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Sweeeeeeeet!!!!!

paintmered
01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Vaughn dominates the game at home

I swear I saw "Logan" on the back of his jersey today.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
It would be very easy to make that mistake tonight

Chip R
01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I swear I saw "Logan" on the back of his jersey today.

I was thinking the same thing after that last 3. UC has no clue against this press.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Come on, Cats! COME ON!!!

Chip R
01-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Mistakes like that are signs of a young team.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2008, 09:50 PM
A young team made mistakes and lost.

Dammit!!

They'll learn from this...but this one hurts.

5-2 looks a lot better than 4-3...especially with your next 2 on the road at Seton Hall and at WV with Huggs.

Bip Roberts
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
What a loss, but thats whats going to happen to a young team

paintmered
01-23-2008, 09:59 PM
What a loss, but thats whats going to happen to a young team

Yep. I hope all the Bearcats fans still on the fence out there don't lose heart when they see the L in tomorrow's Enquirer. That was a heck of a performance against a quality team.

But if you want to know why UC lost, look no further than this. Down the stretch, UC was 1 for 4 from the line and UConn was 4 for 4. Kenny Belton is turning into a fine player, but he's still a freshman and he made a freshman mistake. Never foul late and with the lead. Never.

Great game. Big East basketball sure is fun to watch.

Bip Roberts
01-23-2008, 10:02 PM
They are certainly playing to the level of their opponents so far this year

TeamBoone
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Ugh! I can't believe how this game ended.

Oh well, the score can't be any closer than that. They played a heck of a game.

Cedric
01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Uconn isn't very good this year. Should have been a win at home. The Big East is pretty average overall from top to bottom. There isn't a team in the league that can't beat another team if they are at home. I'd say next year the Big East is gonna be loaded and UC will be severely tested. This year is below average for the Big East.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2008, 10:11 PM
So UC can't improve into next year?

They're young....this year is huge for their development, not only as individual players, but also as a team.

I still say the true taste of UC comes in the 2009-2010 year, but there's not reason they can't take positive steps (postseason play, for instance) before then.

Bip Roberts
01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Uconn isn't very good this year. Should have been a win at home. The Big East is pretty average overall from top to bottom. There isn't a team in the league that can't beat another team if they are at home. I'd say next year the Big East is gonna be loaded and UC will be severely tested. This year is below average for the Big East.
Below average? Id love to see your ranking of other conferences.

Matt700wlw
01-23-2008, 10:14 PM
They may be "down" this year, but they're still one of the top basketball conferences in the country.

Bip Roberts
01-23-2008, 10:15 PM
They may be "down" this year, but they're still one of the top basketball conferences in the country.

Only conference that is better is the ACC

Cedric
01-23-2008, 10:15 PM
So UC can't improve into next year?

They're young....this year is huge for their development.

My point is this isn't Conference USA anymore. Obviously UC will be better next year but so will most other teams that were rebuilding in the Big East. Tonight was a home game against one of the best known programs in America and the attendance was still shoddy. It's no guarantee that UC will ever be as good as they were in the 90's. Each year teams get major talent in this conference and without sustained success there could be a 5-6 absence from the tournament.

Boss-Hog
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Yep. I hope all the Bearcats fans still on the fence out there don't lose heart when they see the L in tomorrow's Enquirer. That was a heck of a performance against a quality team.

But if you want to know why UC lost, look no further than this. Down the stretch, UC was 1 for 4 from the line and UConn was 4 for 4. Kenny Belton is turning into a fine player, but he's still a freshman and he made a freshman mistake. Never foul late and with the lead. Never.

Great game. Big East basketball sure is fun to watch.
Agree on the free throw shooting but what about Bishop's foul when the ball hadn't even been inbounded yet?

This one is really tough to swallow...glad to see them continue to play hard, though. They'll continue to win their share of games this year.

Cedric
01-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Only conference that is better is the ACC

ACC, SEC, Pac Ten, and the Big Ten have better non conference records and better Sagarin rankings. The Big East has the benefit of an enormous amount of teams but their non conference play wasn't very good. UC was terrible against some incredibly weak teams.

Pittsburgh is injury riddled and not very good. Marquette is average and will be out of the top 25 soon. Villanova is VERY overrated and won't be in the top 25 after this week also.

Arguably the only deserving top 25 teams are Georgetown and West Virginia.

The Pac Ten, Big Ten, SEC, ACC, and Big 12 all have more top 25 teams. I can't think of one team other than Georgetown that can truly compete for the final four from the Big East this year. I can think of multiple teams from the ACC, SEC, Pac Ten, and the Big Ten that can compete for the final four.

How can you honestly say that the Pac Ten and Big Ten aren't better than the Big East? UCLA, Washington State, Stanford, Az State are all top 25 and UCLA/Washington State are serious final four contenders. The Big Ten has three teams in the top 11 in Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.

paintmered
01-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Agree on the free throw shooting but what about Bishop's foul when the ball hadn't even been inbounded yet?

This one is really tough to swallow...glad to see them continue to play hard, though. They'll continue to win their share of games this year.

Whoops. I meant to say Rashad Bishop and not Kenny Belton.

There's too many freshman on this team to keep them all straight. ;)

Chip R
01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
My point is this isn't Conference USA anymore. Obviously UC will be better next year but so will most other teams that were rebuilding in the Big East. Tonight was a home game against one of the best known programs in America and the attendance was still shoddy. It's no guarantee that UC will ever be as good as they were in the 90's. Each year teams get major talent in this conference and without sustained success there could be a 5-6 absence from the tournament.

Being in the Big East will almost guarantee UC won't be the power they were in the mid to late 90s. There were some good teams in CUSA but UC was usually head and shoulders above all the other teams. However, being in the Big East has its advantages too. Even a little over .500 in conference will greatly enhance their chances of getting into the NCAA tournament. Also, losing a game against a team like UCONN may be better for them than winning in a rout against Houston. It may make them tougher and better in the long run playing against better opponents.

I think it's sad that fans aren't supporting them. If those fans are waiting for the dominant team of the mid to late 90s to come back, they are going to be in for a long wait.

Cedric
01-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Being in the Big East will almost guarantee UC won't be the power they were in the mid to late 90s. There were some good teams in CUSA but UC was usually head and shoulders above all the other teams. However, being in the Big East has its advantages too. Even a little over .500 in conference will greatly enhance their chances of getting into the NCAA tournament. Also, losing a game against a team like UCONN may be better for them than winning in a rout against Houston. It may make them tougher and better in the long run playing against better opponents.

I think it's sad that fans aren't supporting them. If those fans are waiting for the dominant team of the mid to late 90s to come back, they are going to be in for a long wait.

I don't think that is the reason a ton of fans haven't came back. People ask me all the time how I could go from a diehard fan to not even caring about UC. I honestly don't have an answer. I'm sure it's a little petty on my part but I can't help it. I'm still bitter about Bob Huggins and even though I've tried I can't root for the team. Most of my friends that were huge fans feel the same way. College basketball is the one sport where the coach can have the highest level of loyalty. In my case this coach made me a basketball fan and was always there no matter what players left.

And just when I seem to turn a corner and start to care about UC I read an article from FSN.com about how Andy Kennedy was treated and told to basically throw Huggins under the bus to keep the UC job. I just can't root for UC anymore and I think I am like plenty of other fans. It's not really an option or a choice, it's the betrayal.

guttle11
01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm not a UC fan, never have been, but all this betrayal talk is quite silly. Truth is, if you really felt betrayed to that extent, you weren't a UC fan. You were a Huggins fan. The truth of the matter is that Bob Huggins showed horrible judgment on multiple occasions and being that he was most known representative of the school, they had every right to fire him. I've never understood the hatred shown toward Zimmer. She came in and decided that doing things "the right way" in her mind was more important than a high basketball ranking, and she made the change.

Was it right for the administration to ask Kennedy to throw his mentor and friend under the bus? I don't think so. Was the entire situation handled poorly? I think so. But, it happened, and both parties moved on. To hold a grudge of that level to this day, nearly two years and an entire roster after the fact, just confirms that you weren't really a UC fan. Once Huggins was shown the door and all signs of him were swept away, you realized there was nothing left for you at the Shoemaker Center. That emotion came out as anger and pain for whatever reason. You try to get back in, but you can't...because your emotional attachment wasn't with the UC Bearcats, it was with Huggins.

As far as this UC team goes, they're getting better. I like what I see, especially from Vaughn. Throw Gates into the mix next year, add the progression from those returning, and they very well could be dancing. One could argue they should dance, but that bridge isn't open yet.

Bip Roberts
01-23-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm not a UC fan, never have been, but all this betrayal talk is quite silly. Truth is, if you really felt betrayed to that extent, you weren't a UC fan. You were a Huggins fan. The truth of the matter is that Bob Huggins showed horrible judgment on multiple occasions and being that he was most known representative of the school, they had every right to fire him. I've never understood the hatred shown toward Zimmer. She came in and decided that doing things "the right way" in her mind was more important than a high basketball ranking, and she made the change.

Was it right for the administration to ask Kennedy to throw his mentor and friend under the bus? I don't think so. But, it happened, and both parties moved on. To hold a grudge of that level to this day, nearly two years and an entire roster after the fact, just confirms that you weren't really a UC fan. Once Huggins was shown the door and all signs of him were swept away, you realized there was nothing left for you at the Shoemaker Center. That emotion came out as anger and pain for whatever reason. You try to get back in, but you can't...because your emotional attachment wasn't with the UC Bearcats, it is with Huggins.

As far as this UC team goes, they're getting better. I like what I see, especially from Vaughn. Throw Gates into the mix next year, add the progression from those returning, and they very well could be dancing. One could argue they should dance, but that bridge isn't open yet.

Its not that she came in and fired him its how she *****footed around for months and pretty much killing the recruiting for 2 years while she bunked up every thing she could

guttle11
01-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Its not that she came in and fired him its how she *****footed around for months and pretty much killing the recruiting for 2 years while she bunked up every thing she could

I understand and agree that if she wanted to fire him it should have been done immediately after the DUI. I think that's something that people should have been questioning. I'm not going to deny that the situation was not handled well. But I think it's time to move on, and any true BEARCAT fan has to agree.

What did she bunk up? From where I sit, the University of Cincinnati looks better to the eye than I have ever seen. As the basketball wins keep going up, it will only look better. If I were an alum or a fan/supporter of the school, I'd need sunglasses when looking to the future...especially if they get the reported new arena/renovated Nippert/better athletic facilities plan into action and complete.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Its not about the future so much its about how badly she handled the past. Im not one of the haters of the system but she has done little with out making it a hassle and harder than it had to be.

She created the problem with the Basketball team right now and should not get any credit for it.

From where I sit I see a school with major financial problems, embarrassed alums and a queen bee who is oblivious to it all.

The school will recover but then again its hard to really ruin something so big.

Cedric
01-24-2008, 12:56 AM
I understand and agree that if she wanted to fire him it should have been done immediately after the DUI. I think that's something that people should have been questioning. I'm not going to deny that the situation was not handled well. But I think it's time to move on, and any true BEARCAT fan has to agree.

What did she bunk up? From where I sit, the University of Cincinnati looks better to the eye than I have ever seen. As the basketball wins keep going up, it will only look better. If I were an alum or a fan/supporter of the school, I'd need sunglasses when looking to the future...especially if they get the reported new arena/renovated Nippert/better athletic facilities plan into action and complete.

Better to the eye in what way? It's not like Cronin is recruiting choir boys. He was the main man recruiting the Donald Littles of the world. I'm not really into perceptions. I'm into reality and Mick Cronin is no different than Bob Huggins in all aspects. He got a T tonight for a cursing rant and he recruits the same type players that Huggins did.

I'm not ashamed that I can't root for UC anymore, far from it. I was a fan before I graduated from UC and don't feel that any team gets my allegiance no matter how arrogant, petty, and disrespectful the organization is. I and every other UC fan under Bob Huggins were basically considered fans of thugs and low lifes. That doesn't sit well with many people. She also has tried and downgrade the academic side of UC before she arrived. It's absurd what she has done all for the perception game. I just have something against people that are willing to trash anyone and anything because they want to change perception. That isn't the way you treat loyal servants like Bob Huggins or his fans/ex players.

guttle11
01-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Opinions are opinions and I respect yours, although I disagree with the loyal servants part. Bob Huggins is no servant, no coach at that level is. Eddie Robinson was a loyal servant, Bob Huggins is not. That's not the nature of the business, and it's a business first and foremost. Bob Huggins is loyal to himself, like many business people are. I'm not judging him on that, but calling him a loyal servant to anyone but himself would get quite a laugh in Manhattan, Kansas...don't you think?

Anyone who's afraid to upset the everyday fan is doomed to fail. A school administration only needs to appeal to the financial boosters, and a small minority at that. As far as former players go, the school really doesn't owe them anything. They got an opportunity for a free education (or a free place to live for a while...not going to single UC out on that, though, it's a problem across the board), and many of them used their time on campus under Huggins as a springboard to a professional basketball career. From all I've heard Huggins is loyal to his former players (at UC, not K-State), which I think is great. If they choose to disassociate with the school because of the situation, that's their choice.

paintmered
01-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Better to the eye in what way? It's not like Cronin is recruiting choir boys. He was the main man recruiting the Donald Littles of the world. I'm not really into perceptions. I'm into reality and Mick Cronin is no different than Bob Huggins in all aspects. He got a T tonight for a cursing rant and he recruits the same type players that Huggins did.

He is? To the best of my knowledge, all of Cronin's players are in good academic standing and free of criminal record. Andy Kennedy, on the other hand, had multiple players lose academic eligibility during his short tenure. It turns out those players never went to class.

Mick Cronin has said that nobody is more familiar with the perception of "thug" players than he is. And he's also gone on the record that he's not going to offer a scholarship without ensuring their personal character first. I'm not suggesting that Mick Cronin is a savior or a saint. But it's unfair to make him atone for the sins of the past. And it turns out he knows how to coach a little too.

Jim Calhoun got a T for lighting up the refs too. Got any rants against him?

paintmered
01-24-2008, 07:24 AM

Well now things are turning around after those two years of dead recruiting. Don't punish these kids for the actions of Queen Zimpher.

It's time for everyone to move on already.

LoganBuck
01-24-2008, 07:39 AM
People that want to hold the Huggins fiasco against this UC team are flat out wrong. Excuse me what did Huggins really do all those seasons? He beat inferior teams like a rented mule with superior talent, tended to exit early in the NCAA tournament, and was generally a butthead. I really enjoy this team, as I did those Huggins teams, but at least now you don't have to defend punching horses, girlfriends, and stabbing roommates.

Get over it, Nancy Zimpher was sick of having a black eye, and gasp, perhaps she didn't like Andy Kennedy. Mick Cronin is doing a good job, and this team needs and has earned your support.

WMR
01-24-2008, 07:44 AM
I don't understand how Cedric can just "flip the switch" on one of "his teams." It wouldn't matter what the administration did or did not do to screw up the Kentucky Wildcats, the Cincinnati Reds, or the Cincinnati Bengals. I might lambaste them, but never could I stop caring or stop cheering for "my teams."

Why are you still a Bengals fan? You seem to harbor just as much vitriol towards that organization as you do UC.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Well now things are turning around after those two years of dead recruiting. Don't punish these kids for the actions of Queen Zimpher.

It's time for everyone to move on already.

I still watch but it still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. My resentment towards Zimpher is solely based on how bad she screwed the whole process up.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
People that want to hold the Huggins fiasco against this UC team are flat out wrong. Excuse me what did Huggins really do all those seasons? He beat inferior teams like a rented mule with superior talent, tended to exit early in the NCAA tournament, and was generally a butthead. I really enjoy this team, as I did those Huggins teams, but at least now you don't have to defend punching horses, girlfriends, and stabbing roommates.

Get over it, Nancy Zimpher was sick of having a black eye, and gasp, perhaps she didn't like Andy Kennedy. Mick Cronin is doing a good job, and this team needs and has earned your support.

Majority of coaches that are in 1 place for 15 years are going to have a few bad apples.

If you are thinking Mick is recruiting only the best citizens and guys with 3.5 grade point averages then you need to pay more attention.

NorrisHopper30
01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Majority of coaches that are in 1 place for 15 years are going to have a few bad apples.

If you are thinking Mick is recruiting only the best citizens and guys with 3.5 grade point averages then you need to pay more attention.

There is improvement though, UC had 8 players on the Big East Academic Honor Roll last year..did Huggs ever do that?

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
There is improvement though, UC had 8 players on the Big East Academic Honor Roll last year..did Huggs ever do that?

He was never in the big east :p:

NorrisHopper30
01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Well you got me there, but you get the point :)

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Give it time Mick will get his fair share of bad apples

NorrisHopper30
01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Give it time Mick will get his fair share of bad apples

I disagree.

CrackerJack
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I disagree.

I also disagree. Huggins had more than "a few bad apples," he had more problem players than I could count on two hands, and more than I could remember off the top of my head over the years, NCAA sanctions to boot.

In addition his players had problems in the NBA as well (Fortson, Patterson, Martin, Van Exel, all had problems with their behavior and off-court issues in the NBA).

Logan is right, it's refreshing to watch a well coached team that plays as a team - they run good screens, play defense (usually) back doors, pass and generally handle the ball well, their players don't get in trouble, and they go to class and are competing at a higher level than Huggins' teams ever did. And it's nice to see a team that doesn't just rely on one 3 point shooter every year to carry them. Now they have multiple guys who can play inside or out like all the top programs have.

I appreciate the heck out of what Huggs did here, but his act got old the last 4-5 years ecspecially, and his teams constantly under-achieved in the post season and fell apart. As soon as Calapari and Pitino entered C-USA, they owned Huggins and UC immediately fell down a few notches in the league and no longer dominated.

And there is nothing "classy" about getting a DUI as a Div-1A head coach, puking all over your car door and asking the cops to let him off, after visiting a recruit's family of all things. Real class there, setting a fine example for young high school kids.

So people who blame Zimpher for not being "classy" need to remember that Huggins and his choice of players were also far from it. UC's administration tried to handle things in a classy manner, Huggins would not let them. He refused to leave without being forced out in an ugly manner. I see no reason why he doesn't deserve any blame, just because he went to an Elite 8 in 1995 or Final 4 in 1992, and dominated a putrid league until two better coaches came in and took it over.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
You act like he was terrible once Calipari and Pitino came into CUSA. Any time you add more talent into your conference its going to get harder to win.

Uconn dominated the Big East before the CUSA teams came into the league does that make their hall of fame coach less of a hall of famer?

LoganBuck
01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
No Bip, but you can't sit there with a straight face and act like CUSA was an actual conference.

Syracuse has been pretty good, they won some award a few years ago I think. St. Johns is down right now, but they were up no less than 5 years ago. Pittsburgh has been good, and UConn has been loaded with NBA talent. Their list of players makes UC's look like SW Missouri State.

Bip Roberts
01-24-2008, 03:56 PM
No Bip, but you can't sit there with a straight face and act like CUSA was an actual conference.

Syracuse has been pretty good, they won some award a few years ago I think. St. Johns is down right now, but they were up no less than 5 years ago. Pittsburgh has been good, and UConn has been loaded with NBA talent. Their list of players makes UC's look like SW Missouri State.

Where did i say CUSA was a great conference, im just saying because there was an upgrade of talent doesnt mean Huggins got worse...

And to say that Uconn makes UC look like SW Miss State is the stupiest thing ive heard in a long long time

BearcatShane
01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Big Game vs. Seton Hall today. If they could pull out a road win after that horendous loss vs UConn, it would be huge.

GoReds33
01-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Big Game vs. Seton Hall today. If they could pull out a road win after that horendous loss vs UConn, it would be huge.UC blew an early lead. Down by 6 at halftime.

Redlegs23
01-27-2008, 01:55 PM
One point game with only a couple minutes left. Looks like another game that will go down to the last possession.

SeeinRed
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Sadly, I did not get to see this game today. I was in Columbus and forgot to set the DVR to record. From the looks of the final score, it was another thriller. I think these close games show you that UC can compete with anybody, but they also show you that they are not quite as good as some of us had hoped. They lack the killer instinct. When you face a team you can beat, you don't play to be there at the end, you play to absolutely obliterate them. You don't let teams come back from 10 points down. At times it appears like this team has a hard time playing with a lead. I can't put my finger on it, but its like they play to just squeak by. There has been at least two games where I felt like they should have put teams away put they just couldn't do it. UConn being one of them. There is no doubt in my mind that they will only get better as the season goes on and into next season, but I would really like to see a good 15 point win. Its like they get the lead then work on conserving it instead of staying with what got them there.

Cedric
01-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Sadly, I did not get to see this game today. I was in Columbus and forgot to set the DVR to record. From the looks of the final score, it was another thriller. I think these close games show you that UC can compete with anybody, but they also show you that they are not quite as good as some of us had hoped. They lack the killer instinct. When you face a team you can beat, you don't play to be there at the end, you play to absolutely obliterate them. You don't let teams come back from 10 points down. At times it appears like this team has a hard time playing with a lead. I can't put my finger on it, but its like they play to just squeak by. There has been at least two games where I felt like they should have put teams away put they just couldn't do it. UConn being one of them. There is no doubt in my mind that they will only get better as the season goes on and into next season, but I would really like to see a good 15 point win. Its like they get the lead then work on conserving it instead of staying with what got them there.

The Big East is very average this year. I don't think UC has progressed at some amazing rate like some wish. They have won exactly one road game all season and have lost to some truly embarrassing teams. I don't think people realize how great of a motivator/coach that Bob Huggins is. He could take a group of extremely raw and selfish players and mold them into a winner almost overnight. I can understand the dislike of Huggins from some but that doesn't change the fact that UC fans will probably never see a coach like that again. He's a HOF coach and would have won NCAA titles or NBA titles if he would have chosen to jump ship early in his tenure at UC. He turned down a 8 million dollar offer from the Clippers and also turned down the Heat and Lakers in the mid 90's.

It's a shame he was loyal to UC for so many years and they let some new president push him out. Now there are morons out there that call him disloyal because he went back to his dream job after resurectting KState. It's amazing how selfish fans, alumni, and school administators are. They want loyalty at all costs from a coach but they wouldn't turn down their dream job even if it meant they had to disown their own mom.

Bip Roberts
01-28-2008, 04:00 AM
Resurrecting Kstate while having a year of no NCAA recruiting rules to follow.

I wonder how Indiana feels about the Big East.

Roy Tucker
01-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Watched the UC game yesterday (actually, I flipped between the UC and XU games).

They've made huge strides since last year and even early this season. Their biggest problem (IMO) is that Vaughn is the only true scorer they have. Their best play is a clear-out for Vaughn. I feel like I'm watching Lebron and the Cavs. *Somebody* has to step up when Vaughn is in a dry stretch.

That and they haven't gotten respect from Big East refs yet. UC consistently doesn't get good calls from the refs. It will come with time, but its a little hard to watch now.

SeeinRed
02-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Where is all the talk about the WVU game and how impressive that win was? I was ready to think that the amazing ride was ending and this team was coming back to reality before the game. Now I think this team is better than I gave them credit for.

rotnoid
02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
They might not have the talent or size, but they won't get out hustled. There's something to be said for that. The Shoe's becoming a tough place to play again. It's good to see this soon. I never would have expected it before next year or the year after. Further proof that Mick was a good hire.

Redlegs23
02-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Where is all the talk about the WVU game and how impressive that win was? I was ready to think that the amazing ride was ending and this team was coming back to reality before the game. Now I think this team is better than I gave them credit for.

There's a two or three page thread on the WVU game.

Big game again today for the Cats. Apparently since it's a Ring of Red game Mick says he has a little surprise with his wardrobe. Think he will pull off the red suit?

GoReds33
02-02-2008, 10:50 AM
There's a two or three page thread on the WVU game.

Big game again today for the Cats. Apparently since it's a Ring of Red game Mick says he has a little surprise with his wardrobe. Think he will pull off the red suit?I'd like to see red and black with a red UC tie.

GoReds33
02-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Huge win in OT tonight by the Cats! McClain stepped up big, Vaughn played well when it counted, and Adam finally made a layup! That's 3 for 3 right there.

BearcatShane
02-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Big Game tonight vs St. Johns at The Shoe. With a win their 7-5 in the Big East. Not Bad. Not bad at all.

SeeinRed
02-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Josh Katzowitz asks a good question on his blog over at BearcatLair. He asks if you think that the Cats tend to play to the level of the opponent.

From the outside, that looks like what the Bearcats have done much of the time in conference play, and considering two of the weaker conference teams will be in town the next week or so (St. John's on Wednesday and South Florida on Feb. 20), now's a good time to discuss.

Let's take a look at some of the games I'm talking about:

--at Louisville: UC played up, beating the Cardinals in Louisville.
--at St. John's: UC played down, particularly disappointing because of what happened at Louisville.
--vs. Villanova: UC played up, the Wildcats were ranked No. 19 and lost.
--vs. Pitt, UC played up, the Panthers were No. 15 and lost to a UC team that suddenly was a force at home.
--at Rutgers, UC played down, performing poorly for most of the game but still managing to pull out the victory.

So, I asked John Williamson and Deonta Vaughn for their thoughts. And both agreed that the team tends to play up or down to its competition level.

"In a way, you can see that happening," Vaughn said. "We've played against good teams and when we play against good teams, our game gets raised. When we play the teams that are low in the Big East, we play to their level. We can't do that. We have to play to our level, like the high major team that we are. You have to make an impact as soon as the ball is thrown in the air."

The easy answer, of course, is that UC should be aware of this tendency and stop doing it. After all, there's no reason the Bearcats should struggle so much with a team like Rutgers after they played so well against Villanova and Pitt.

But to Williamson, it's not necessarily that simple.

"There's no easy wins here in the Big East," he said. "It's going to be a drag whoever you play. It just happens. They have a gameplan, too. If their gameplan works, that's what it's going to look like, like we're playing into their hands."

OK, so far this theory was holding strong. UC has a tendency to play well when it's facing a top team and a tendency to play crappy when it's playing a crap team. But then I asked Mick about it.

He didn't exactly agree with my theory.

"You're going to have good nights and bad," Mick said. "Your talent is going to dictate how well you play. We're not talented enough ... people say, 'You could be 8-3' but we could be 4-7. Water finds its level. I don't think it's realistic enough for us to sit here and say we should be any better than 6-5 with the kind of talent we have. The season is long, and you're going to have times when you play well and you're going to have times when you make shots. It all evens out. You say, 'You should have won vs. UConn, you could have won at Seton Hall.' Yeah, well, we could have lost at Louisville on the last play. We could have lost the Villanova or Pitt game at the end. We're probably about right where we should be."

Still, I countered, it's telling that UC didn't play well at Seton Hall and at Rutgers. Yes, I realize they were both road games, but still ...

"I don't look at it that way," Mick said. "We’re not the most talented offensive team in the conference. The way it breaks down in the Big East, if you look at our record in games decided by 15 or more, we have no games like that. We don't have explosiveness. You can look at it and say, 'Well, they play to the level of their competition,' but we're doing as good as we can. We haven't put the type of offense in to blow a team out. To blow somebody out, you have to score a lot of points, unless you hold somebody to 10 percent shooting."

Like West Virginia, only UC's second 15-plus point victory of the season (the Bearcats have lost three games by 15 or more).

"That's the answer ? look at our blowout win," Mick said. "We scored 62 points. That's the final statement."

Given all that, what do you think? You think UC's play is dictated on who it's playing, or do you agree with Mick in that the Bearcats are right where they should be, in terms of record?

I tend to think the Bearcats may play above their ability agianst better teams, or maybe the better teams play down to them. In reality, its probably a mix of things. Josh goes on to make a great point later in response to a reply from another poster who thinks the energy level tells the story. The poster thinks that the energy level against the lesser teams just isn't there.

Plus, to expand on Chris' point about the team's energy level, it was surprising to see the team play so flat (at least from where I was sitting on the couch) against Rutgers. UC had a week between games, so that helped lead to that theory about it playing to its opponents level.

Interesting topic to say the least.

BearcatShane
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
60-43 over the Red Storm. 7-5 in the Big East. Nice.

Bip Roberts
02-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Wish I was able to watch the game tonight :o

GoReds33
02-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I like this game. They need to learn how to compensate. Williamson, and Davis both stepped up great. Even Darnell Wilks saw a couple minutes! Vaughn needs some time off.

GoReds33
02-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Huge must win game tonight versus USF. If they win it clinches a .500 record or better in the Big East.

BTW, they're 12-12 now. I hope my .500 or over prediction holds true.

Cyclone792
02-20-2008, 09:19 PM
And UC escapes with a win, despite Adam Hrycaniuk trying to lose it first by a ridiculous turnover and then by missing the front end of a one-and-one ...

I hate to be mean, but Hrycaniuk is awful. He has some of the worst hands and one of the weakest inside offensive games I've ever seen, and he pretty much plays like a walking turnover and a walking missed layup. He's probably the most frustrating player I've seen since Jihad a few years back when all he did was heave up off-balance prayers.

Matt700wlw
02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Wasn't pretty....but it doesn't have to be.

Win 'em how you have to.

paintmered
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
8-5 in the Big East now. Mick for coach of the year?

GoReds33
02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
USF has been playing good recently. They nearly beat UConn. I love how this game was played. Sikes had to step up. They got some good minutes from reserves. I also like that Bishop didn't start. IMO, he doesn't deserve to start. He gets just over 5 points per game. That's not enough IMO for a freshman to start over an experienced Senior.

Cyclone, I agree with you on Adam. He is a terrible center, especially in the Big East. I think it's about time to give Biggie more minutes. His foot still bothers him, but it's not gonna get any worse. Biggie's as good or better than Adam at blocking shots, and is 2 inches taller. Granted, he doesn't have as much beef, but if it means having to double somebody on the post to get Adam out, that's fine with me.

Bip Roberts
02-21-2008, 01:19 AM

Hes gotta be getting very strong consideration

GoReds33
02-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Hes gotta be getting very strong considerationI agree. 8-5 is one of the best records in the confrence. Coming from this team, that means alot. I think he'd win if voting were today.

Roy Tucker
02-21-2008, 08:14 AM
Hrycaniuk plays great D. He did a job on Gransberry last night (with double team help). Plays good man and good help.

But his offensive game is horrible. No hands, no shot, no moves. The nicest thing I can say is he sets a good pick.

SunDeck
02-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Man, that would be sweet. Mick is doing a great job there- I am happy for him.

SeeinRed
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
You just have to wonder why Adam H. has been so terrible on the offensive end. Is it confidence? Is it a curse? Is it just that he doesn't have a feel for the offensive end? I still like the fact that he plays great defense.

Also, does anybody else get uncomfortable when Biggie hits the court. He is just akward and its painful to watch. I can't wait to see what he can do when he gets some more strength and learns the game a little better. He's got some big time potential.

GoReds33
02-21-2008, 02:46 PM
You just have to wonder why Adam H. has been so terrible on the offensive end. Is it confidence? Is it a curse? Is it just that he doesn't have a feel for the offensive end? I still like the fact that he plays great defense.

Also, does anybody else get uncomfortable when Biggie hits the court. He is just akward and its painful to watch. I can't wait to see what he can do when he gets some more strength and learns the game a little better. He's got some big time potential.I think Adam's been bad because he doesn't have hops. He can dunk in practice, and with nobody near him, but if somebody's guarding him close, he just doesn't jump well enough to dunk it. I think he's to usto playing on the outside, and not having to dunk it, so he isn't very good at it.

SeeinRed
02-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I think Adam's been bad because he doesn't have hops. He can dunk in practice, and with nobody near him, but if somebody's guarding him close, he just doesn't jump well enough to dunk it. I think he's to usto playing on the outside, and not having to dunk it, so he isn't very good at it.

You can be effective inside without a dunk. He misses wide open layups and he uses his body to gain position pretty well. You just have to wonder if it isn't a confidence thing that has snowballed on him. It isn't a matter of physical skill I don't think. He has that. He seems to be able to get the open shots, and from what I've been told he has a decent shot. I tend to think that it is more mental with him. Maybe he lost his touch after sitting out a year. Maybe he never had a feel for the close shots. I don't know. I don't think he has the ability to score 15 a game, but I don't think he is as inept offensively as he appears now. The missed free throw after throwing the ball at Deonta's feet was a good example of how I think he just doesn't have much confidence right now. He is a better player than that.

bucksfan2
02-21-2008, 03:12 PM
He isn't explosive enough off the floor for one and I don't think he is strong enough by the rim. Had he been with the team for 4 years, or even two for that matter, I think Adam H could have been a productive big man in the Big East. I think lack of confidence has more to do with your outside shot rather than around the rim. Some media types, not to name names but he is on 1530 homer from 3-6, feel that he is a very frustrating player but I just think you have to take what you are given. He will give you strong defensive minutes, miss some layups, set a moving screen or two a game, but he will continue to play hard. It would be nice to have a guy like Adam H come off the bench and give you 15-20 minutes along with 5 hard fouls but he is forced to bring a lot more.

GoReds33
02-21-2008, 05:28 PM
You can be effective inside without a dunk. He misses wide open layups and he uses his body to gain position pretty well. You just have to wonder if it isn't a confidence thing that has snowballed on him. It isn't a matter of physical skill I don't think. He has that. He seems to be able to get the open shots, and from what I've been told he has a decent shot. I tend to think that it is more mental with him. Maybe he lost his touch after sitting out a year. Maybe he never had a feel for the close shots. I don't know. I don't think he has the ability to score 15 a game, but I don't think he is as inept offensively as he appears now. The missed free throw after throwing the ball at Deonta's feet was a good example of how I think he just doesn't have much confidence right now. He is a better player than that.Yes you can be effective on the inside without dunking, but when you spend a year dunking, and all the sudden have to lay it up against a strong post defender, or even when you're wide open, that shot might not be very good.

SeeinRed
02-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes you can be effective on the inside without dunking, but when you spend a year dunking, and all the sudden have to lay it up against a strong post defender, or even when you're wide open, that shot might not be very good.

If thats how he spent his year off practicing, somebody should be fired. It was no secret that he wouldn't be able to dunk in the middle. He was always more of a shooter from what I understood. Even the men who can dunk have to be able to make the layups. I can't imagine a coaching staff letting him learn to go up and dunk when he clearly doesn't have the ability to do it in a game. You don't forget how to make layups. You just lose confidence and overcorrect or make quick judgement errors. If he doesn't know how to make layups by the college level, something went seriously wrong somewhere. I think his free throws tell the story. If I recall, he was supposed to be solid from the stripe. He appears to have very good form. He just can't knock them down consistently. His free throw at the end of the USF game showed me that he just didn't have the confidence in himself. He overthinks to the point that he doesn't use feel around the basket. Thats just the feeling I get from watching him this season. Just like a slump in baseball, it is better to simplify. He is just pressing too much.

SeeinRed
02-23-2008, 08:56 AM
Alright, a very big stretch of games for the Bearcats, starting with a tough on in Georgetown. Should be fun to watch. What does everyone think about this one.

Bip Roberts
02-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I think its going to be a typical Bearcat game where we really cant predict anything about it besides Vaughn scores more than half the teams points.

GoReds33
02-23-2008, 10:54 AM
I think today it's all going to come together. So far this year we have won games by Vaughn taking over, Williamson taking over, or from the bench stepping up. I think today we'll see atleast two of those, if not three.

I say Bearcats by 4.

SeeinRed
02-23-2008, 11:43 AM
I think today it's all going to come together. So far this year we have won games by Vaughn taking over, Williamson taking over, or from the bench stepping up. I think today we'll see atleast two of those, if not three.

I say Bearcats by 4.

I agree. I don't know why, I just have a feeling. As usual, their defense will be the key to victory along with finding another scorer. I think J Will is the guy today.

Redlegs23
02-23-2008, 12:06 PM
My prediction: UC 63 Gtown 60

BTW, for those of you that don't get the CinCw, you can watch it for free online at the following link.

http://www.channelsurfing.net/

CTA513
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Belton has commited 3 fouls in the last 4 or so minutes.

:bash:

Matt700wlw
02-23-2008, 01:47 PM
I guess today isn't their day...

GoReds33
02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I guess today isn't their day...You can say that again.

paintmered
02-24-2008, 11:33 AM
I didn't get to see the game yesterday. What went wrong?

Cyclone792
02-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I didn't get to see the game yesterday. What went wrong?

Georgetown is just simply a much better team. They shoot better, they move the ball around better, they rebound better, they protect the ball better, they guard better, and they play better team defense. They clamped down on Vaughn pretty well, and we know that if he can't get any open looks it's going to be hard for UC to score. That's pretty much what happened for UC offensively.

This was UC's toughest game of the season, IMO, since it was on the road against one of the best teams in the country. They just got outplayed by a better team is all.

Redlegs23
02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Pretty ugly game. They need to bounce back in a big way this week. Winning at Pitt would be huge.

GoReds33
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Big game at Pitt for the Cats tonight. It'll take a great effort, but we've beaten them already this year.

paintmered
02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Very physical first half from both UC and Pitt. This game might go down to the last possession.

GoReds33
02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
The score's 29-29 at halftime. It's been low scoring, and very physical.

CTA513
02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
UC lost another one that they might of had a chance to win if they actually took care of the ball.

Bip Roberts
02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Ive grown to almost expect these type of losses. :(

paintmered
02-27-2008, 10:09 PM
UC lost another one that they might of had a chance to win if they actually took care of the ball.

That, and Pitt made the big shots down the stretch.

NorrisHopper30
02-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Vaughn 24 points and 8 assists, Williamson also had 26 points. It's a shame that huge games like those go to waste.

paintmered
02-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Despite the loss, UC has clinched a spot in the Big East tourney.