PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar players that would be good for the Reds to trade for

TC81190
11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Anybody have any ideas to speculate on?

My choice would probably be Bill Hall. He just came off a down year, but the 2 years prior were pretty good. He's got a little speed and some power, can play the left side of the infield and CF, and best of all, could be had cheaply, I'd imagine. I'd like to see him in a Reds uni.

Any thoughts?

*BaseClogger*
11-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Coco Crisp...

I'd like to see them pursue Shannon Stewart or Brad Wilkerson in FA because I think they are vastly underrated but I really don't know where they fit in...

Bip Roberts
11-07-2007, 07:55 PM
really no one

Will M
11-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Kenji Johjima. The Mariners have a rookie catcher named Clement and could trade Johjima ( ??? for Jr ).
He would greatly improve the position for the Reds and help recruit a Japanese pitcher or two.

Alternate - Ramon Hernandez, coming off a down year.

*BaseClogger*
11-07-2007, 08:06 PM
According to mlbtraderumors.com, Brian Fuentes and Brad Lidge might be available(!)...

AdamDunn
11-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Damaso Marte

HokieRed
11-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't think Marte is under anybody's radar anymore. I'd love to have him on the club.

Orenda
11-08-2007, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=*BaseClogger*;1493829]Coco Crisp...

QUOTE]

agree. I know I'm one of the few, but I think this team really needs an everyday centerfielder. Jay Bruce is great but I'd rather have him at a corner when he comes up. Ditto w/ Hamilton. It also frees you up to move Jr and sign another arm. Meanwhile Stubbs still has much to prove before he will see any time in the majors.

Redsnake
11-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Wells Lidge was a good idea....
Coco.....please not another OF.

I liked to go after Brett Myers. Throws in the high 90's and had 200K's the last full year he started. He wanted to close but with Gordon and now Lidge there I doubt if he is the first option. Still posts a high 3 ERA.

Ervin Santana. Needs a change. Might be had for cheap.

Zack Greinke. Shows he is coming back too form. Might have raised his valued way to much for the Royals to trade.

Garret Atkins. Been rumored to be on the move and still young. I know E.E. is nearly the same mold. But Atkins has the numbers that has been proven and not projected like E.E.

John Patterson. I know, I know!! Leather pants, injuries. I still love what he once could do. I see Carpenter the early years(BlueJays). He could be a #1 or 5. If he is healthy I would love to have him and stick him in the 5 hole (that didn't sound good) and see what happens.

Orenda
11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Wells Lidge was a good idea....
Coco.....please not another OF.

What if the reds had a sequence of events like this:

1.) Reds acquire CF Coco Crisp....greatest name in baseball and he can play.

2.) Reds deal Ken Griffey Jr.- I would target servicable bullpen help, with Jr's current deal I think you could get a fair return talent wise, without demanding something that would significantly harm a trade suitor.

3.) Reds sign FA pitcher- the team could use the freed up cash from the Jr. trade to spend on a FA pitcher, I know the list isn't overly impressive but there are some guys who might be worth a risk.

4.) the Reds name Hamilton opening day right fielder- with Bruce waiting in the wings in AAA and Hopper as the fourth outfielder.

If the organization wanted to go in that direction, I think this is a sequence of events which could realistically get done. The benefits would include: much improved outfield defense, more overall team speed on the basepaths, improved relief pitching, and potentially a 3rd starter to get you to Belisle and Bailey. You would still have impressive talent in the wings with Hamilton, Bruce, (EE and Votto, assuming they wouldn't be traded with bullpen help from a JR deal and a SP FA acquisition.) Keep in mind that Jr and probably Dunn are out of town after 08 anyway.

Of course its not guaranteed that Hamilton can make up for all the offense Jr. produces or that he will be able to withstand a full season, but the latter could be said about Jr. as well. Also, Cincinnati would miss out on JR's 600, and we all know how Reds fans love them some homeruns,

So in conclusion you could definetely improve the team Defense, increase depth in the bullpen and rotation (to what degree of improvement you would see in the pitching would be questionable, but i think it would still be an upgrade to last season) and have a solid young nucleus for the future.
The one serious question would be can the combination of Hamilton/Hopper/Crisp/Dunn or the addition of Votto/Bruce/ an improved EE be able to make up for Jr.s offense? but the team should still have a good enough offense with the potential to be a real asset. Not to mention the team would still be set up for future contention.

Bip Roberts
11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
The only way i would trade for Crisp is if we moved Griff and didnt have to eat his contract.

Orenda
11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
The only way i would trade for Crisp is if we moved Griff and didnt have to eat his contract.

For some reason i was thinking Crisp was a free agent, im sure Boston wont give him away, but with the rise of Jacoby Ellsbury, their price would be reduced. Ditto on the Jr. contract. Im not so sure his contract would be a huge deal because it would be in allignment with what guys who are producing similiar numbers would be getting, and add in the fact that he is not a long-term commitment makes him a good choice for a team in a win now mode. I think the reds are already on the books for the deffered money in his contract, although the organization has never reduced the yearly budget to reflect the true team payroll, so that shouldn't be a factor either.

Bip Roberts
11-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Crisp is cheap for the most part

08:$4.75M, 09:$5.75M, 10:$8M club option ($0.5M buyout)

I like the idea but he would have to be our lead off hitter, and would put us in a weird spot with Bruce still.

Orenda
11-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Redsnake, Myers is an interesting pitcher, but I think Philly will keep him in their rotation. Do you consider his off the field incident?

AmarilloRed
11-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I think we might be able to get Slowey from the Twins.

Redsnake
11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I thought about his off field history. But I still have to give him another chance. G
Going into last year he was the Phillies #1 pitcher and Hamels was a close #2. That still spells #1 potential going into the #2 spot in the Reds rotation.

Has to be the tops in the NL Central or close too it.
Harang
Myers
Arroyo
Bailey
Belisle

BLEEDS
11-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Crisp is cheap for the most part

08:$4.75M, 09:$5.75M, 10:$8M club option ($0.5M buyout)

I like the idea but he would have to be our lead off hitter, and would put us in a weird spot with Bruce still.

under .330 OBP for a lead-off hitter? We could send up A-Gon and not be much worse. No thanks.

Only thing he could be guaranteed to do, was deduct about 20 HRs from any other CF-er we could put out there (not named Hopper).

I'd rather PUT Hopper out there and save me $4M, $5M and $7.5M over the next three years.

OUTRAGEOUS!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Jay Bruce
11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I thought about his off field history. But I still have to give him another chance. G
Going into last year he was the Phillies #1 pitcher and Hamels was a close #2. That still spells #1 potential going into the #2 spot in the Reds rotation.

Has to be the tops in the NL Central or close too it.
Harang
Myers
Arroyo
Bailey
Belisle

I believe one of the main points of the Lidge trade was to put Myers back into the rotation. He has 2 years left in a 3 year, 25.75 million contract. Considering the market prices, and the talent level available in free agency, Myers is a downright bargain for the Phillies. Because of this, it is highly unlikely that the Phillies would trade Myers, unless the Reds put a very lucrative package on the table.

Vada Pinson Fan
11-10-2007, 10:33 PM
PC- I've always liked Bill Hall. When the Brewers played the Reds it always seemed like Hall was in the middle of a Brewer rally. Too bad Hall isn't a catcher or pitcher. LOL!

ED44
11-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Elijah Dukes...we seem to do a good job of picking up players with attitudes/work ethics/other problems and making them pretty successful (Guillen, Phillips and Hamilton come to mind). He could probably be had pretty cheap...if so, packaging Hamilton for some pitching may be possible? He does seem like a nutcase though, but hadn't seen his name mentioned yet.

INRedsFan
11-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Brian Bullington - young pitcher in Pirates organization - cheap!