View Full Version : Lidge Traded to Phillies

AmarilloRed
11-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Lidge goes to Phillies from Astros for Bourn, Geary

By Jerry Crasnick
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: November 7, 2007, 10:49 PM ET

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Philadelphia Phillies acquired reliever Brad Lidge from the Houston Astros in a five-player trade on Wednesday night.

The Phillies sent outfielder Michael Bourn, pitcher Geoff Geary and minor leaguer Mike Costanzo to Houston, and received infielder Eric Bruntlett in addition to Lidge.

It was the first trade of the general managers' meetings this year.

The 30-year-old Lidge was 5-3 with 19 saves in 27 chances for the Astros last year. He struggled to close out games but held batters to a .218 average and averaged 11.8 strikeouts per nine innings.

Philadelphia intends to move Brett Myers, who had been their closer, back into the starting rotation.

Bruntlett hit .246 with 14 RBIs last season, seeing time at shortstop, third base and the outfield.

Bourn batted .277 as a rookie this year with one homer, six RBIs and 18 steals, and Geary was 3-2 with a 4.41 ERA with the Phillies. Costano, 24, batted .270 with 27 homers and 86 RBIs at Double-A Reading.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

The first major trade of the off-season.

fadetoblack2880
11-08-2007, 07:08 AM
I hope the Reds don't sit around as every other team makes moves like they did last year...

Redsnake
11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Am I missing something or does it seem that Reds could have put together a better package of players without giving up the big 4(Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Cuerto)?

Is Lidge that far removed from a top 5 NL closer? Is his salary too high to bring in?

Maybe the Astro's didn't want to deal him to a division rival club. I hope the Reds were a player but was turned down for that reason.

ChatterRed
11-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Am I missing something or does it seem that Reds could have put together a better package of players without giving up the big 4(Bruce, Bailey, Votto, Cuerto)?

I had the same thought.

Maybe the Astro's didn't want to deal him to a division rival club. I hope the Reds were a player but was turned down for that reason.

Probably the reason.

Orenda
11-08-2007, 08:33 AM

That would be a big factor. No GM would want to be the person who gets reminded of how bad of a move they made every time they faced that opponent. Or if that player was the piece your rival needed to contend, how could you convince your fanbase your trying to win the division and still sell tickets?

texasdave
11-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Ed Wade used to be GM of the Phillies. He probably thinks he knows the players he is receiving pretty well.

Michael Bourn was born in Houston and went to UH. I bet he is pretty excited to be coming home.

Michael Bourn = Norris Hopper IMO.

I wonder what the Astros' plans for Luke Scott are? Luke is a solid major league hitter.

I don't think Lee-Bourn-Pence is much of an improvement at all, if any, over Lee-Pence-Scott.

mroby85
11-08-2007, 09:40 AM
wow, i'm surprised the reds didn't try to get involved in this one. lidge is a low risk high reward at this point.

Bip Roberts
11-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Astros were not going to trade Lidge with a team in the division. Stop acting surprised.

mroby85
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
man, what was i thinking, divisional trades never happen.

Bip Roberts
11-08-2007, 10:13 AM
unless the pirates are involved :laugh:

durl
11-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Why would the Reds want Lidge? Sure, his ERA was low but ERA doesn't necessarily earn saves.

Lidge: 19 saves/27 chances = 70% save rate. 2007 salary: $5.3 million
Weathers: 33 saves/39 chances = 85% save rate. 2007 salary: $2.25 million

Lidge is a "big" name but our current closer had a much higher save rate and costs half as much money. Weathers ain't the closer of the future, granted. Still, I think the Reds could spend $5 million more wisely than on Lidge.

*BaseClogger*
11-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Why would the Reds want Lidge? Sure, his ERA was low but ERA doesn't necessarily earn saves.

Lidge: 19 saves/27 chances = 70% save rate. 2007 salary: $5.3 million
Weathers: 33 saves/39 chances = 85% save rate. 2007 salary: $2.25 million

Lidge is a "big" name but our current closer had a much higher save rate and costs half as much money. Weathers ain't the closer of the future, granted. Still, I think the Reds could spend $5 million more wisely than on Lidge.

what would you do with that $5 million?

durl
11-09-2007, 02:42 PM
what would you do with that $5 million?

I'd add it to the pool to obtain a good starter.

Our 2 biggest weaknesses are starting and middle relief pitchers. If the Reds were to get a closer, Weathers could move to the bullpen and would help solve one of those problems.

Although Lidge has done very well in the past it's the last couple of years that make me question if he's worth the $5 million investment. I could be wrong, though.

*BaseClogger*
11-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Hopefully the starter you speak of acquiring is by way of a trade because none of the FA starting pitchers deserves a cent of that $5 million...

durl
11-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, I agree. The FA market, like last year, is not an ideal place to get pitching help.

I gotta believe that the Reds can find a good pitcher for $5-6 million. Maybe I'm a dreamer...