PDA

View Full Version : Is WK even at the meetings?

hippie07
11-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Okay, so i know Krivsky is close to the vest about his interests, but it seems to me that there's so much out there that could help the club (trades & some free agents I suppose) that you would hear about Wayne doing something.

Even if Wayne is incredibly tight-lipped you'd think some club would say "We've heard from these teams on this player" and the Reds would be in there somewhere.

I mean in all this chatter about what teams are shopping who and who's inquiring on who... where's the reds? Is Wayne asleep or is there some astute GM strategy he's using here that I'm not aware of.... ?

mlbfan30
11-08-2007, 04:31 PM
He's waiting until all the trades for quality players are made, and all the quality players are signed. Then he will maybe make a weak trade, or sign an overpriced veteran that blocks a young player. He's the Jim Bowden of starting rotations, but for the entire club.

durl
11-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I'd rather him spend his time working on building the team than worrying about issuing press releases every 30 minutes.

And let's be honest, there's simply not a lot of affordable talent out there. Plus for WK to float the line "we're shopping Scott Hatteburg" doesn't quite compete with "we're shopping Johan Santana." Sometimes it's better to sit back quietly.

The guy landed Arroyo, Phillips, Burton, and Hamilton without giving up much in return. Let's PLEASE have a little faith that other good things might just happen.

*BaseClogger*
11-08-2007, 06:12 PM
The way things are going down, I don't think WK is interested in trading a lot of young talent to get a great player like Erik Bedard... It's kinda unfortunate, as long as he moves the right guys...

GoReds33
11-08-2007, 07:17 PM
I do hope he makes a move, but if he is in the process I would like him to take his time. I don't think he took his time on the Lopez and Kearns deal. If we aquire somebody of significance I would prefer he not mortgage our future to get him.

jnwohio
11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
WK is there. Marc Lancaster said he had talked to him. Lancaster was on 1530 the other day when C.Trent and The BadBoy were frilling in for MacAllister.

BTW I understand why the Post wouldn't be sending C.Trent (or anybody else) down there to Orlando when they are shutting down in 7 weeks or so; but it seems a little strange to me that apparently the Enquirer did not send Fay (or any one else). On an account like Gannett's what can it cost to fly somebody to Orlando and put them up for a couple of days?

hippie07
11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
I do hope he makes a move, but if he is in the process I would like him to take his time. I don't think he took his time on the Lopez and Kearns deal. If we aquire somebody of significance I would prefer he not mortgage our future to get him.

I completely agree w/ this. I really wouldn't want a trade or signing w/o knowing everything thats available, but .... I'm just worried that the fact that no one's even mentioned the Reds in any type of initial inquiries, etc. is indicative of WK's intentions. My hope would be that WK is aggresively asking about those players who would most help us and have the most impact, like say a Bedard-type... but I'm uncomfortable that there are no reports of any rumblings out of the Reds camp whatsoever.

It's early .. so, he's got time, **fingers-crossed***

Screwball
11-08-2007, 09:38 PM
If last year's off-season and this year's trade deadline is any indication, my guess is "Is WK even at the meetings?" will be an ongoing question. I'd consider big moves a surprise rather than something to be expected of our GM.

hippie07
11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
Is Wayne in the last year of his contract? If so I would think he would be in a precarious situation... he's going to want to turn around the win/loss record for sure, but if he pulls another unpopular trade like "the trade" that doesn't end up getting quick positive results or the guys he trades away have immediate success, then he's going to make himself look bad.

To me... I think we need another "gutsy" trade that people will probably second guess due to the talent we have to give up, but the return should be someone(s) who is definitely going to make an immediate/drastic impact on the success of team like an ace starting pitcher... Bedard, Kazmir, Peavey, for example. I hope Krivsky has the "guts" to pull off a trade like the oft-mentioned Hanley for Beckett deal. I think the team needs it and I'm afraid that Kriv doesn't have the courage to do it w/ his job on the line....

durl
11-09-2007, 09:06 AM
It's just my personal opinion (and I'm not the type that sleeps with a baseball almanac under my pillow) but I would think that a 3-year period isn't enough time to turn around an organization that was in such pitiful shape as the Reds. With limited funds and not much to work with, it's not easy to move a team to the top of the division. Building from within can't happen overnight.

I'm guessing that his 3-year contract was a "let's see what progress you make in 3 years and then we'll talk longer-term after that" type of contract. Castellini wasn't necessarily expecting a pennant in 3 years but wanting to see a strong foundation within that time frame. I believe we have that. As of now, I believe WK deserves more time to build this team.

AmarilloRed
11-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Let's keep in mind that this is only a general managers' meeting, not the winter meetings. It is not really a surprise no big trades have happened, and I would not expect any free agents to be signed until at least Monday when the exclusive signing period ends. I would like it if we heard the Reds discussed more on Mlbtraderumors.com as going after top free agents and trying to improve their team with trades, but I think we should all wait and see what happens.

ChatterRed
11-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah, the rumor mills have been way too quiet for me too. ;)

bounty37h
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
He's waiting until all the trades for quality players are made, and all the quality players are signed. Then he will maybe make a weak trade, or sign an overpriced veteran that blocks a young player. He's the Jim Bowden of starting rotations, but for the entire club.

Wowo MLBFan, you pay alot of attention to what goes on huh?