PDA

View Full Version : Worst Announcers

MaineRed
11-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Saw this linked on another site, It is a blog that covers sports, mostly Cleveland sports and they had a piece on their least favorite sports announcers/anchors.

http://myteamsarecursed.blogspot.com/2007/11/booooooo-ya.html

Who are our least favorite people on sports TV today abd why do we feel the way we do. Time for the list technique.

1. Stuart Scott - The guy puts the "B" in Buffoon. Is there anything less fresh than his awful catch phrases like "hater in the house" and "cooler than the other side of the pillow?" The suits are bad, the glasses are worse. Watching Stu-ya with Emmitt Smith and Steve Young live at the Monday Night location is train wreck TV at its finest. How he has stayed on ESPN this long is a complete mystery. Sports Centers with him are unwatchable.

2. Joe Morgan - Wins the Cal Ripken award as the single most overrated sports color man in history. Count how many times he repeats himself during a game. Here is a vintage Morgan take: See, that pitch was a sliiiiiiider, because his out-pitch is a sliiiiider, so he decided now was the time to throw a sliiiiiiiider, which is his best pitch." John Miller has been carrying him for years.

3. Stephen A. Smith - Someone, anyone, please explain to me why ESPN thinks this guy is a talent. Because he talks fast? Because he says "the bottom line" a lot? Because he was once the link to Allen Iverson in Philly? The one-time Larry Brown mouth-piece has lost all credibility since his quick rise and even quicker fall at the worldwide leader. The worst show in ESPN history (next to Bonds on Bonds) has to be Quite Frankly. What a joke! Screamin A. must go.

4. Chris Berman - You have to give credit to him as being the original and longest lasting guy at ESPN. That said, talk about someone who's schtick is as tired as his Green Jacket he wears during baseball season. The schwam? Old bit. Nicknames for players? great in the late 80's and early 90's, except its 2007. Things you can count on: Death, taxes, and Chris Berman quoting Maggie Mae at the end of September and The Boys of Summer at the end of August. But mad props to the infamous "your with me, Leather" story. Stuff of legend.

5. Fred McLeod - Nationally, he isn't known, but he is the Cleveland Cavaliers TV play by play man. This is a guy who left Detroit with a reputation of being a homer. It was well deserved. You would think Lebron James is fouled on every play and never walks. He is ridiculously excitable and equally as cheesy. In the second quarter of Sunday night's Cavs/Suns game, Freddy boy watched Steve Nash travel and screamed "he shuffled the shoes!" Look up cheese-dick in the dictionary and there's a picture of him.

6. Chip Carey - The man dubbed by my brother "Cheesy Cheerleader Chip" has gladly taken advantage of a career essentially built on being the grandson of Harry and the son of Skip. His work in the AL division series was panned brilliantly by the New York Times' Richard Sandomir for his lack of knowledge and stretching of the truth. You would have though he was the Yankees announcer that series. Long before that, he was a homer for the Braves, a homer for the Cubs, and now back to being a homer for the Braves.

7. William C. Rhoden - Ok, he's not really a TV personality, but he has spent years on ESPN's the Sports Reporters. Plain and simple, the guy is a reverse racist who takes the African-American side of every story. Nobody loves bringing the race card up more than Bill. Only he could make Mike Lupica seem like a pleasure to be around.

8. Skip Bayless - ESPN did its best to phase him out, you only see him now on ESPN's first take (which has less viewers as Quite Frankly did) and First and Ten. There is nobody more outlandish and ridiculous. He is a classic local sports talk radio kind of guy. he says things just to be outrageous to see if anyone cares. Unfortunately for the Skipper, nobody does.

Not even sure I could narrow it down to the top 8, but I'll try:

1. Stuart Scott. Pretty much agree, word for word with what was said about him above.

2. Johnny Miller. Man I hate this guy. He is so smug. What is most annoying is how the entire NBC golf team cowers to him.

Miller: "headed to the right isn't it Rog?"

Rog: "started out right John but it actually is going to end up four fairways over, to the left."

3. Chip Caray. Really upsets me that I wasn't able to put him first but Scott and Miller are that bad. His horrid performance has been well documented. If he were a player he would have been shipped to the minors a long time ago. He is the Pete Rose Jr. of baseball announcing. But nobody in charge has figured it out. Nepotism gets blamed. But nobody is handing the Junior Rose an A-Rod contract. How does such a bad announcer get a top gig?

4. Mike Tirico. He wants to be involved in every issue known to man but pretty much refuses to give an opinion on any of them, even though he now has a radio show. He goes out of his way to be neutral and I feel like he thinks his target audience are sports fans who just returned from 20 year journeys to Mars.

5. Gus Johnson. He screams, for the entire game. A QB doesn't drop back to pass. He DROPS BACK TO PASS, GOING DEEP, INCOMPLETE. I-an, not Ian, I-an Eagle is just about as bad. If I was forced to work with either I would just drive myself straight to jail, because I would choke both of them before the game was over.

6. Chris Berman. Agree with the comments above. I loved the nicknames and the schwam. Then I turned 14. Lost all respect for Berman when he was dropping his silly nicknames while working the US Open Golf Tournament a couple of years ago. He will be watching the Masters with Gary McCord if he goes anywhere near Augusta with that crap.

7. Tim McCarver. Not a real big fan of Joe Buck but without him it is scary to think where McCarver might go some of the time. The guy knows his baseball. He just sees a lot of things that don't actually happen. Not sure why he isn't a NBA ref.

8. Dick Vitale. Like Berman I once thought Dukie V. was the coolest thing on earth. I had all his books, videos, cityrock basketball and everything else with his name on it. Then got my license and started dating girls. Vitale would have his lights knocked out by a co worker in any other profession. He wouldn't last as a fry cook at McDonalds with his enthusiasm. Guy needs to relax. Sad thing is he isn't just passionate about hoops, it is everything. Baseball, tennis, Notre Dame football, everything.

Anyone missing?

Highlifeman21
11-08-2007, 10:39 PM
My worst 8, in order.

1. Chris Berman
2. Stuart Scott
2. Stephen A. Smith
4. Tim McCarver
4. Joe Morgan
6. Billy Packer
6. Brent Musburger
7. George Grande

Obviously, I had 3 pairs of guys that I could easily swap.

MaineRed
11-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Forgot about Grande.

Have to say I love Brent Musburger. But at the same time I understand why others wouldn't be able to stand him.

I could have eaily listed Stephen A. but I don't consider him to be an announcer. He is just an extremely angry man who is on TV.

Caveat Emperor
11-09-2007, 01:25 AM
5. Gus Johnson. He screams, for the entire game. A QB doesn't drop back to pass. He DROPS BACK TO PASS, GOING DEEP, INCOMPLETE. I-an, not Ian, I-an Eagle is just about as bad. If I was forced to work with either I would just drive myself straight to jail, because I would choke both of them before the game was over.

Gus Johnson is a frigging joke.

You're giving him way too much credit in your example, because at least "going deep" is kind of an exciting moment in the NFL. He'll raise his voice for any ordinary or pedestrian occurrence:

"McNabb looking, THROWS OVER THE MIDDLE!!! And Westbrook is stopped for a two yard gain."

Its unbelievably annoying. I can only imagine the pain his friends and family go through in day-to-day existence with this waste of oxygen.

WAITER: "And for you?"
GUS: "I'll have the HOUSE SALAD!!!"

4. Mike Tirico. He wants to be involved in every issue known to man but pretty much refuses to give an opinion on any of them, even though he now has a radio show. He goes out of his way to be neutral and I feel like he thinks his target audience are sports fans who just returned from 20 year journeys to Mars.

This guy redefines bland. He was probably my least favorite of the ESPN college announcers, and his game hasn't improved since going to Monday Night Football. I can only imagine he lives in a house with gray walls, beige carpet, and one metal folding chair in the middle, with a white noise machine going in the background.

To this list, I humbly add:

Joe Theismann - Possibly the worst "Jock Apologist" of all time. Whenever he called the game, nothing that went wrong was ever the player's fault. The player was always executing correctly, but the gameplan was flawed. Theismann would go out of his way to quickly provide cover fire for any player that came under criticism for play on the field. Nobody, until Kornheiser, ever called BS on him because of who he was -- and because of that, he got away with saying some unbelievably dumb stuff for years.

max venable
11-09-2007, 02:00 AM
SKIP Carey is absolutely tops on my list (of least favorite).

George Grande makes my list.

I turn the channel whenever Stephen A. Smith comes on (loud-mouth know-it-all).

Bill Walton wears on me, too.

Can't stand Sean McDonough's voice and demeanor (plus I think he's idiotic).

Mark May drives me nuts...he's anti-Buckeyes and and comes across as holier-than-thou.

Just to name a few.

guttle11
11-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Gus Johnson is the man during March Madness. Not so much the rest of the year.

Pam Ward tops my list. Consistently calls players by the wrong name, is usually way off on the spot, and just generally shows nothing more than an infantile knowledge of football.

MWM
11-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Heck, I think MIke Tirico is the best in the business. Maybe he's a bit boring, but compared to the trend these days of the personality trying to become the show itself, I'll take Tirico any day of the week. He does what he's supposed to do, and doesn't try to do more. I like that.

Billy Packer is the worst in any sport, with McCarver being a close second. Whoever the Washington Nationals TV guys are are probably the worst I've heard for an individual team.

Musberger is so bad I can't believe he's been around so long. Oh how I miss Keith Jackson.

Mark May is just awful.

And I know this won't be popular here, but Thom Brenneman deserves to be on this list. I've had the "pleasure" of hearing him do some college football this year, and he's just flat out bad. I'd say this regardless of his work with the Reds.

Rick Sutcliffe is next to McCarver when it comes to baseball. I swear he must be drunk.

Jeff Brantley is pretty close, if not worse, than the Nationals' guys.

camisadelgolf
11-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Stuart Scott is cheesy, but he doesn't put all his focus on pretending to know more about a topic than he actually does, which is what 90+% of ESPN broadcasters do (and is a huge pet peeve of mine).

MaineRed
11-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Heck, I think MIke Tirico is the best in the business. Maybe he's a bit boring, but compared to the trend these days of the personality trying to become the show itself, I'll take Tirico any day of the week. He does what he's supposed to do, and doesn't try to do more. I like that.

I don't think as many announcers "are trying to become the show" as you let on. Jim Nantz, Al Michaels, Vern Lunqist and most newtork play by play guys fit this category. If you want to compare Tirico to guys like Stephen A. and Stuart Scott, I'm with you. They make it about them. But as far as calling games I don't think Tirico deserves any extra credit for what you described. He is far from the only one like that.

Here is a typical exchange on the Mike Tirico show:

Kirk Herbstreit: I like so and so to win

Tirico: Really?!?! I'm surprised to hear you say that.

KH: Well who you got?

MT: I'm going to have to gather a little more info before I can make a call. Team A plays great offense. Team B plays great defense, we'll have to wait and see what happens on Saturday, RIGHT HERE ON ESPN.

KH: We are 9 weeks into the season, you haven't seen enough of the two teams?

MT: In fairness to team A and team B ..........

That is why I don't like him. He has no balls. He'll go out of his way to jab Mike Golic (a friend of his at ESPN) during MNF but he won't do what every other radio personality in the world does, SHARE HIS OPINION. He is much too worried about upseting someone. If he gets questioned by a co-host he backs down quicker than Eric Mangini going back for seconds at an all you can eat buffet.

This past Monday Tirico went on various shows and discussed whether he should say, "submarined" when a guy who played at Notre Dame got tackled in that nights game, as a jab at Golic for the loss to Navy. Navy, submarine. Get it?

Then when Allan Rosum got tackled on a kick-off return he broke it out. And man did it sound stupid and rehearsed. In fact I doubt anyone from Notre Dame would have even picked up on it if he didn't stupidly share the fact that he was going to do it. I was so embarassed for him at that moment.

I bet the majority of NFL players see those 3 MNF dorks coming and roll their eyes.

Cyclone792
11-09-2007, 08:43 AM
1. Brent Musberger
2. Brent Musberger
3. Brent Musberger
4. Brent Musberger
5. Brent Musberger
6. Brent Musberger
7. Brent Musberger
8. Brent Musberger

That pretty much sums it up for me.

MaineRed
11-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Oops. Wrong thread.

Danny Serafini
11-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Tom Hamilton is the baseball equivalent to Gus Johnson. "BALL THREE!" Sorry Tom, it's not actually that exciting.

Mark May is an embarrassment. Everyone has their biases, but professionals do what they can to hide theirs. May doesn't bother.

She's not an announcer per se, but how does Jeanie Zelasko keep a job? She's just terrible.

I may be the oddball, but I like Stephen A., at least in small doses. The one hour radio show is probably the perfect amount of time for him.

Roy Tucker
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Lately, I've enjoyed the ESPN Thursday night college guys, Chris Fowler, Doug Flutie, and Craig James.

Fowler does decent PBP, Flutie actually makes intelligent comments and doesn't have a swelled head, and well, James is little too Terry Bradshaw-ish, but he loosens things up.

I think what I like the most is that the 3 of them seem to genuinely like each others company. It's like sitting with 3 guys on barstools watching the game.

dabvu2498
11-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Lately, I've enjoyed the ESPN Thursday night college guys, Chris Fowler, Doug Flutie, and Craig James.

Absolutely. Those guys have a good time and seem to enjoy calling games with each other. All three of them also have some fairly intelligent things to say.

As far as worst:

1a. Dick Vitale
1b. Billy Packer

Dave Campbell is my favorite guy doing color commetary on baseball right now. Dude is an encyclopedia.

registerthis
11-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Gotta second the Billy Packer nominations.

A good drinking game is to watch any college b-ball game that Billy is calling and take a sip of bourbon every time he says the phrase "Get up there, big fella'!" You'll be passed-out drunk by halftime.

Chip R
11-09-2007, 11:32 AM
1. Brent Musberger
2. Brent Musberger
3. Brent Musberger
4. Brent Musberger
5. Brent Musberger
6. Brent Musberger
7. Brent Musberger
8. Brent Musberger

That pretty much sums it up for me.

What's the matter with Brent, pardner?

cumberlandreds
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
1. Billy Packer
2. Tim McCarver
3. Gus Johnson (you don't have to scream over every play)
4. Hawk Harrelson
5. Tom Paciorek
6. Al Hrabosky
7. Bill Walton

bucksfan2
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
1. Stu Scott
He used to be good but he has become a very very bad ESPN figure head. His time has past and it is time for him to fade off into the sunset.
2. Mike Patrick
Most people like him, I dont. He picks a side and announces games with a bias. He is a Duke homer and ACC homer who I was glad to see off the spotlight games.
3. Lou Holtz
Are you kidding me. Appy state didn't upset UM they were the favorite, his pep talks, his english has gone down hill fast. For goodness sake lou quit tarnishing your legacy and retire.
4. Chip Carey/any baseball post season announcer.
I agree that Chip was almost unbearable to listen to but so was the rest of the MLB post season.
5. Keyshawn Johnson and Berman
Berman used to be cool. Keyshawn can you say the word hypocrate?
6.Madden
I just don't his voice. I think he knows his stuff but he goes overboard sometimes.
7. Vitale
He goes away in March is the only reason he isn't much higher. I appreciate his love for college basketball but that gets skewed quite a bit because he talks non stop about Duke.
8. Grande
Im gald he wasn't on the TV for as much this season as in the past

My Favorites
1 Herbstreit and Fowler
Gameday is one of my favorite shows to watch and they both are very professional
2. Scott Van Pelt
He does his job very well.
3. Tirico
Always have liked him thought he does a good job of announcing the game without taking sides.
4. Keith Jackson
Can't you come out of retirement again?
5. Dan Shulman (sp?)
He does a heck of a job with ESPN baseball.
6. Bob Costas
He can be smug and arrogant but I think he does a good job of staying in the middle.
7. Gus Jackson
He is excitable but always seems to get the exciting games. I woud much rather listen to someone who gets excited over someone who just likes to talk.

dabvu2498
11-09-2007, 12:05 PM
I love this: http://www.cardchronicle.com/story/2007/1/23/51024/3678 re: Vitale.

Danny Serafini
11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I had forgotten about Keith Jackson with him being retired. I know this won't be the popular opinion, but I couldn't stand him. He was as biased as biased could be toward his beloved Wolverines. It was unprofessional the way he just slobbered over them the entire game. Plus his whole "Whoa Nellie, here comes another home-spun country colloquialism!" schtick never really worked for me.

Strikes Out Looking
11-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Because baseball is my favorite sport, my list starts and ends with McCarver. Many of the others listed above are bad, but I can get through them by basically just not watching. But Tim is always on the big game telecast just making a fool of himself.

And by the way, I hated Steve Carlton when he was a player.

MaineRed
11-09-2007, 01:43 PM
1. Stu Scott
He used to be good but he has become a very very bad ESPN figure head. His time has past and it is time for him to fade off into the sunset.
2. Mike Patrick
Most people like him, I dont. He picks a side and announces games with a bias. He is a Duke homer and ACC homer who I was glad to see off the spotlight games.
3. Lou Holtz
Are you kidding me. Appy state didn't upset UM they were the favorite, his pep talks, his english has gone down hill fast. For goodness sake lou quit tarnishing your legacy and retire.
4. Chip Carey/any baseball post season announcer.
I agree that Chip was almost unbearable to listen to but so was the rest of the MLB post season.
5. Keyshawn Johnson and Berman
Berman used to be cool. Keyshawn can you say the word hypocrate?
6.Madden
I just don't his voice. I think he knows his stuff but he goes overboard sometimes.
7. Vitale
He goes away in March is the only reason he isn't much higher. I appreciate his love for college basketball but that gets skewed quite a bit because he talks non stop about Duke.
8. Grande
Im gald he wasn't on the TV for as much this season as in the past

Good list. Mike Patrick has become a joke. Say HOLY COW just one time. He does gush over one team it seems. But I always kind of thought he was just following momentum. Could be wrong. His delivery is what irritates me.

Lou Hotlz is a good one too. At least he isn't on very often. Some have listed Mark May and I hear that too. But May knows his stuff. He rarely is wrong on his picks. But yeah, he is a putz.

I like Herbstreit too. He is really good. I actually like Lee Corso too. I know a lot don't. I think Gameday is helped by his energy. Fowler is as good as it gets. His play by play skills are never going to match his studio skills but he is a total pro and a talented one at that.

I like Flutie but do not like Craig James. He really needs the studio IMO. Last night he talked about a couple of things that even Fowler couldn't follow and he butchered the replay of a TD call.

"You are looking live .... at ......." Brent is cheesy but I get fired up when I hear that.

And Madden? Past his prime, no doubt.

cumberlandreds
11-09-2007, 02:21 PM
How could I forget Mike Patrick?!?. He has to be no lower than number three on my list. He is the pits as PBP announcer. Every play and player is "great" according to him not to mention he's just plain bad.

GoReds33
11-09-2007, 04:11 PM
For me my top two worst announcers would be Grande and Madden, in no particular order. Madden rambles worse than anybody I have ever heard in my life. Grande has man crushes on quite a few players.

Hap
11-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Grande has man crushes on quite a few players.

Has that been mentioned on Redszone before?

Anyway, back on the topic:

GOOD
Joe Nuxhall (mid-70s - late 80s)
Marty Brennaman (when he is doing actual play-by-play)
Thom Brennaman (occasionally)
Johnny Bench
Joe Morgan

BAD
Joe Nuxhall (late 90s-present)
Marty Brennaman (most of the time)
Thom Brenneman (when he bashes players like his dad)
Steve Stewart (no explanation needed)
Andy MacWilliams (mid 80s occasionally on reds radio)

Yachtzee
11-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Tom Hamilton is the baseball equivalent to Gus Johnson. "BALL THREE!" Sorry Tom, it's not actually that exciting.

You're right about that. Hamilton seems to call every game for the Indians like its the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 of the World Series. The man needs to try some decaf. Listening to a whole game gives me a headache.

Jay Bruce
11-09-2007, 10:35 PM
I know that many of you don't follow hockey, but I would like to suggest Dave Mishkin, play by play man of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Wait for the 47 second mark of the link, and be prepared for your ears to bleed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GV6YIVGXs4E

GoReds33
11-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Has that been mentioned on Redszone before?

Anyway, back on the topic:

GOOD
Joe Nuxhall (mid-70s - late 80s)
Marty Brennaman (when he is doing actual play-by-play)
Thom Brennaman (occasionally)
Johnny Bench
Joe Morgan

BAD
Joe Nuxhall (late 90s-present)
Marty Brennaman (most of the time)
Thom Brenneman (when he bashes players like his dad)
Steve Stewart (no explanation needed)
Andy MacWilliams (mid 80s occasionally on reds radio)

I personally like Steve Stewart. He just didn't fit into that group. I agree Thom is terrible when he tries to be like his dad. Nuxall isn't fast enough to call a game on the radio anymore. Half the time he doesn't even know what's happening.

MaineRed
11-10-2007, 12:19 AM
I know that many of you don't follow hockey, but I would like to suggest Dave Mishkin, play by play man of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Wait for the 47 second mark of the link, and be prepared for your ears to bleed.

That was flat out awful. When you hear that for the first time your reaction would have to be, gee, I didn't realize the Lighting won Game 7 of the Stanley Cup in 48 overtimes.

No reason to announce like that. You can get excited as you want but you have to be audible

Some other canidates on that tape as well. I liked the guy who called the goals like he was announcing the date for a bean super. Reminds me of somene else who should be on this list. He does play by play for an AL team:

HR for his team "You can put it on the board, YEEEEESSSSSS.

HR by Manny Ramirez: "Pitch to Manny.(15 seconds of silence) Ortiz steps in."

Hawk Harrelson.

blumj
11-10-2007, 12:37 AM
I actually like Hawk. He's so awful that he's funny. Or maybe I just have a really strange sense of humor. I'm sure he'd drive me nuts if I had to listen to him all the time, though.

For some reason, I really like Josh Lewin. His voice is a little annoying, but he's very balanced and he makes sense.

lo ryder
11-10-2007, 01:00 AM
McCarver and Joe Morgan are easily the two worst announcers in baseball. Bad enough to cause one to turn down the sound on whatever they are announcing.

Ravenlord
11-10-2007, 01:12 AM

sound like a midget version of Harvey Wippleman.

Patrick Bateman
11-10-2007, 02:24 AM

NOT SO FAST HORN MAN!!!

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
From today's New York Post:

And, distracted by design, ESPN had lost its grip on that night's Ravens-Steelers game in the first quarter. As Ben Roethlisberger's pass made it 6-0, linebacker Terrell Suggs was flagged for a late hit. But when the Steelers kicked off from their own 45 - the 15-yarder against Baltimore assessed on the kick - and the kick sailed through the end zone, Mike Tirico said that was caused by the wind.

Yeah, the wind. Pardon the indigestion.

Memo to lead Knicks radio play-by-play man Gus Johnson: At a time when Jim Dolan has created the clear impression that he prefers shills to honest broadcasters, hysterical hollering at the sight of Knicks baskets not only makes it unclear what you're hollering about, the only thing that becomes clear is that you're working to impress Dolan as opposed to describing a game to listeners.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11112007/sports/pardon_the_indigestion_419975.htm

redhawkfish
11-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Bryant Gumbel on the NFL network games was awful last year.

The award for the worst announcer each year should be named the "Reggie Rucker" award.

redsfanmia
11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Tirico is so milktoast he bores me to tears. Gumbel was terrible last season on the nfl network. Joe Buck does nothing for me but want to change the channel.

gilpdawg
11-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Gotta second the Billy Packer nominations.

A good drinking game is to watch any college b-ball game that Billy is calling and take a sip of bourbon every time he says the phrase "Get up there, big fella'!" You'll be passed-out drunk by halftime.
Isn't that Bill Raftery's phrase?

redsfanmia
11-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Isn't that Bill Raftery's phrase?

And the kiss is also one of Raftery's who I think is enjoyable.

Chip R
11-11-2007, 07:28 PM
I like Raftery. He's like Vitale without the hyperbole. And I'm not a big critic of Vitale. I tune out a lot of what he says and I think he's full of crap a lot of the time but his love and enthusiasm for college basketball is enjoyable. I think he'd be just as happy doing a New Mexico St. New Mexico game as he would a Duke Carolina game. Packer is very knowledgable but he's turned from just grouchy to bitter.

I don't know why this thread has had this many responses and Ron Santo's name hasn't been mentioned.

GoGoWhiteSox
11-13-2007, 02:31 AM
The ones that I think are terrible:
1. Chris Berman
2. The Angels' announcers. I don't know, but something about them just gets on my nerves.
3. Ed Farmer, the White Sox's play-by-play guy on the radio. Boring as hell.
4. Joe Buck. Do I really have to explain?
5. Dick Stockton. He's not REALLY terrible, but he's just old and boring. He sounds like grampa telling you a bedtime story.

Don't even get me started on the rest of those clowns at ESPN.

My favorites:
Contrary to what some of the people have said on here, I actually like Hawk. :)Don't ask why, I just do. He's one of those guys you either like or don't like. There's no middle ground.
2. Thom Brennaman
3. Jon Miller. He's awesome on Sunday Night Baseball
4. Bob Costas. It's a shame he's relegated to just studio duty.

NJReds
11-13-2007, 12:23 PM
From today's New York Post:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11112007/sports/pardon_the_indigestion_419975.htm

Can't stand Gus Johnson when he does Knicks games.

But I find Mike Breen and Walt Frazier an enjoyable listen.

-- I don't know the announcers names, but I was listening to the Giants - Cowboys game this weekend and the Giants announcers were the worst kind of awful in the third-fourth quarter ... whining about officials calls constantly, and then turning on the home team when there was no chance of a comeback.

MaineRed
11-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Bob Papa is the Giants radio voice. He is very annoying and he has a whiny voice.

I love Mike Breen. He was the best in the business on radio. But he ended up replacing Marv on TV. He is still good but I think his voice and skills were better served on radio. The big money is in TV though. Breen was the sportscaster on the Imus in the Morning show at one time and he was brilliant in that job as well. He sort of did an Onion Sports kind of thing most of the time to mess with Imus. Really funny.

The Angels announcers are pretty bad. Rex Hudler is the color guy. You want to reach through the TV and choke the guy. Steve Physioc is the play by play man. Here are some popular Rex-isms:

"Pilot to Bombadier!"

"He got to Go!"

"He's Gettin Figgy with it"

“[Zito pitched well] though he has a chance not to win this game.”

”Mike [Scioscia] likes to turn Benjie loose though so he doesn’t get on base and clog the bases.”

"Kingfish Salmon went upstream!"

"Another big fly for Big Daddy Vladdy!"

"That pitch went where he threw it"

"Pick up some dirt and throw out some reindeer!"

"That pitch was right in his wheelhouse!"

(After pitcher Jarrod Washburn had given up ten runs in four innings): "You gotta give Wash a lot of credit for keeping the bullpen out of it this early."

"Muchas gracias, Senor!"

NJReds
11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I should've remembered that it was Bob Papa. He's been on NY TV/radio for years. I think he does some boxing, too. I don't usually listen to football on the radio.

dman
11-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Worst: Chris Berman x 8. That "back, back, back, gone!!!!" crap has to go.

Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds are two of my faves.

Strikes Out Looking
11-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Worst: Chris Berman x 8. That "back, back, back, gone!!!!" crap has to go.

Bob Costas and Harold Reynolds are two of my faves.

I actually watched some of Berman on the NFL pre-game last night. He's actually a worse anchor than he is announcer.

camisadelgolf
11-14-2007, 05:50 AM
My theory is that Chris Berman doesn't even like sports. He just gets paid a lot of money for his name recognition and voice.