PDA

View Full Version : Texas may have Interest in Freel?

hippie07
11-10-2007, 01:02 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/110907dnsporangers.33ff0ef.html

This article just mentions Freel in passing, but could you think of a trade or a trade package that would benefit the Reds involving Freel and the Rangers?

gedred69
11-10-2007, 01:19 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again. I think coming up with some way to wrest CJ Wilson from the Rangers would be a priority for the bullpen. It would take a lot more than Freel to do it. Throwing Freel in with a real up and comer, like Votto might make Texas consider. If Keppinger and Hopper are for real, the Reds won't need Freel. (I say that sadly, he's a favorite).

Degenerate39
11-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Freel, Ross, and Hatte for Salty

Orenda
11-10-2007, 01:21 PM
how about freel for minor league filler, and take the money owed to him and invest it into the next draft class.

AdamDunn
11-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Freel, Ross, and Hatte for Salty

ok... find a manager who's willing to do that.

Degenerate39
11-10-2007, 01:37 PM

I was kidding

AmarilloRed
11-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I have heard that Peter Gammons recently wrote an article in which he said that there were a lot of teams interested in Ryan Freel, but you had to be a subscriber on ESPN4U.com to read the whole article. I imagine the Reds would do their best to trade Freel if that is the case. The Texas Ranger article mentions Freel as a fringe outfielder, so I would not think a trade to the Rangers was imminent.

jnwohio
11-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I'd be surprised if any one would give much of anything for Freel until late into spring training when he will have had a chance to show he is healthy and what he still brings to the table.

A month missed with a concussion followed by a season ending leg injury requiring surgery pretty much makes a guy Freel's age with a $1M plus salary unmovable unless the Reds are willing to just dump him for a prospect and eat most of the salary. To boot it wasn't like he was contributing all that much any way; and, Hopper had basically beaten him out for the 4th outfieldr spot.

There is a lot said on this and other sites about how fans of a team tend to over rate or under rate their team's players in trade speculation. I think Freel is a classic case of overating at this point until he shows he is healthy and can still play.

redsfanfalcon
11-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Better yet, find a GM willing to do that!

ED44
11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I like Freel, but if you could just find a team to take his salary, then I say do it. Hopper can play the same role for cheaper...that 3 million can be used to help bolster our bullpen, or put towards a starter we may get in another trade.

ChatterRed
11-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I'd do it just for a salary dump. I give him up for 1 minor league single A pitcher with an era of 6.00. ;)

redsfanmia
11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Freel is a good guy to have around as long as you dont count on him as an everyday player. I really dont want them just to dump him because I dont think now he is at his highest value. Wait until the Trade deadline then if your not contending deal him.

jnwohio
11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Freel is a good guy to have around as long as you dont count on him as an everyday player. I really dont want them just to dump him because I dont think now he is at his highest value. Wait until the Trade deadline then if your not contending deal him.

I think the question ay this point is does he even make the Reds team if they take their best 25 north? There may be a lot of dealing done between now and the end of spring training which would end up making a spot for Freel but as of now I don't think he is any more than the 25th man if that.

Just get our your pencil and paper and start doign a depth chart keeping in mind there will liklely be only 13 position players including 2 catchers (at least). Assume Hopper covers Freel's versatility in the OF and Keppinger in the infield. Then jf they keep Votto, Bruce and Cantu and don't trade Hattie, I am already a man long right here by my count.

redsfanmia
11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
I think the question ay this point is does he even make the Reds team if they take their best 25 north? There may be a lot of dealing done between now and the end of spring training which would end up making a spot for Freel but as of now I don't think he is any more than the 25th man if that.

Just get our your pencil and paper and start doign a depth chart keeping in mind there will liklely be only 13 position players including 2 catchers (at least). Assume Hopper covers Freel's versatility in the OF and Keppinger in the infield. Then jf they keep Votto, Bruce and Cantu and don't trade Hattie, I am already a man long right here by my count.

Bruce is not coming north with the team unless Dunn or Griffey gets hurt. I think they deal either Edwin or Gonzalez to make room for Keppinger to play everyday and I think Freel is a nice safety net incase that happens.

Screwball
11-11-2007, 05:54 PM

All good points, but with Freel's contract, I just can't see him not being on the 25 man barring a trade. Plus, despite his ineffectiveness as a starter, I still think he can be valuable as a super-sub given his versatility and history of playing better with regular rest. If nothing else, he'd be a good insurance policy should Hopper or Country Kepp prove their performances last year were aberrations.

hippie07
11-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Or maybe Freel and Hopper go and we bring up Dickerson to man CF..... I just think it's hard to do roster math this early in the offseason. I think Hopper has options though, so if they both stay on the team, they'll prob send Hopper down until an OFer goes down w/ an injury.

And don't forget - Castro's still on the payroll for 2008 ;-)

AmarilloRed
11-11-2007, 11:37 PM
His OBP and SLG. both dropped by 50 points, and his BA dropped to .240 last year. He is 31 and coming off an injury, and can no longer be considered a starting outfielder. I think the Reds will try and move him, but it will be difficult with his contract. We may have to be content with a Conine- type trade for Freel.

MaineRed
11-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Maybe we could get Rob Bell back?

LincolnLandReds
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Freel would be an awfully expensive insurance policy for Kepp or Hopper. I like Freel, love his hustle and his desire to do whatever it takes to win. But he get thrown out too much when stealing, doesn't have a great OBP for a leadoff player, a weak arm for CF and he doesn't have a great track record with staying off the DL. Also with Jay Bruce waiting down in Louisville, Freel just won't get much playing time unless there is an injury. If I'm Krivsky, and he is medically clear to play, showcase him during spring training and look for a buyer. I don't think you will get much of anything this winter with the class of CF's on the free agent market. Of course, Krivisky could just call our good buddy in Washington, Mr. Bowden and see what damaged goods he has for trade with week and see if a deal can be struck.

hippie07
11-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Texas needs a centerfielder... what if we trade them Freel, any chance we could pry Brandon McCarthy or Kason Gabbard away??

Freel, Maloney, e.g. ??

Vada Pinson Fan
11-27-2007, 10:41 PM
Maybe we could get Rob Bell back?

Rob Bell netted us Edwin Encarnacion (EE was a throw in) in the trade with Texas, so that trade ultimately worked out for the Reds.

Red in Atl
11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Please trade Freel. I put that extension in the same category as Cormier, Castro and Stanton. Why do/did any of these guys have guaranteed contracts? Absolutely beyond me. I know we've had some rough years, but you can fill these kind of holes in a roster with about anyone.

Now I've had my moments of man-love for Ryan Freel just like everyone, but those all went out the window after they signed him to a ltc. He's had a few concusions, he's older, and he still has no position.

We are the kind of team that needs to stop wasting money. What is it like $4M on Freel, $2.2 Stanton and $2M on Castro? Then we pay a guy like Loshe to suck at $5M. Geez, that's about what Santana made last year alone. You plug the holes with Hopper, Cout and Kepp and you still have $10-11M for a #3 starter.

Just sayin'...

hippie07
11-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Assuming the Rangers want Freel... do you think they'd part w/ any of their young starters??? If so, what would it take?

*BaseClogger*
11-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Isn't McCarthy a fly ball pitcher?

Jay Bruce
11-28-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm not a fan of Brandon McCarthy myself. He has always been a flyball pitcher, and gave up 1.75 and 1.81 HR/9 in 2005 and 2006 respectively. He only gave up 0.8 HR/9 last year, but that seems to be because of small sample size and luck. His GB/FB ratio was again below 1.0, while his HR/FB% was only 5.6%, an extremely lucky number. With average luck, that number should probably be around 11-12% since he pitched in the Ballpark at Arlington, an extreme hitters park. While Free; wouldn't be a whole lot to give up, McCarthy would not be a target ideal for the Reds.

roby
11-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Come on guys! You are making some good points...but you're also being a little lopsided. Do you forget what Freel brings to the table? I have seen him single-handedly win ballgames. I remember one game when he stole five bases and set the momentum for a win. He makes diving catches, hustles, gets timely hits, He is not at all the waste of roster space that some of you are claiming.