PDA

View Full Version : OSU - Illinois

MWM
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Why didn't Tressel thrown the flag on that fumble by Illinois? It was OBVIOUSLY a fumble. And it was one that looked like a fumble in real time as well.

I'm sure OBM is fuming at what a bad call that was. :evil: He just hates bad calls.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I'm not watching the OSU game so I missed it.

MWM
11-10-2007, 04:54 PM
I can't believe I have to sit here and listen to Paul McGuire for the entire game. He's the guy I forgot in the "worst commentator" thread. He's about as bad as they come.

I've already counted 3 "I'm a tell you what"s, and I "let me tell you something."

GAC
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I can't believe I have to sit here and listen to Paul McGuire for the entire game. He's the guy I forgot in the "worst commentator" thread. He's about as bad as they come.

Did you hear him in the pre-game call Williams an EXCELLENT passer?? I couldn't believe what I heard.

Wells scores 14-7 now.

I was in the bathroom when Illinois scored. Nature called. :D

GAC
11-10-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm not watching the OSU game so I missed it.

So did the ref. :p:

MWM
11-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Alabama lost to Mississippi State.

MWM
11-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Ruh-roh. 14-14. I'm a little worried about OSU's defense the last few weeks. Manningham could have a big day next week.

GAC
11-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Illnois scores after the INT.

14-14 game.

I still say OSU will win this game because Illinois has no pass defense at all.

But OSU's defense is gradually being exposed IMO.

MWM
11-10-2007, 05:14 PM
Very lethargic effort so far.

Oooh, nasty looking hit.

GAC
11-10-2007, 05:18 PM
THank God the Illinois receivers are dropping the ball.

GAC
11-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Very lethargic effort so far.

Oooh, nasty looking hit.

It was; but the defender is the one left lying on the field and shaken up.

So what does he do after he regains consciousness? celebrates! :lol:

D-Man
11-10-2007, 05:24 PM
Ruh-roh. 14-14. I'm a little worried about OSU's defense the last few weeks. Manningham could have a big day next week.

When you have a talented QB and skill position players, the spread offense is hard to defend. Today's game poses a nice look-see (warmup?) for a multi-dimensional offense, like Oregon.

Good to see Beanie back in there. The running game just isn't nearly as good with Maurice Wells--I can't recall the last time I saw Maurice shake a tackle.

The O-line, as always, has been stellar in the first quarter.

GAC
11-10-2007, 05:28 PM
When you have a talented QB and skill position players, the spread offense is hard to defend. Today's game poses a nice look-see (warmup?) for a multi-dimensional offense, like Oregon.

I personally think Oregon would destroy us. That team scares me.

GAC
11-10-2007, 05:29 PM
It may as well be Juice Newton back there. Williams stinks as a QB. The guy can't even lead his receivers on short (screen) passes.

D-Man
11-10-2007, 05:32 PM
I personally think Oregon would destroy us. That team scares me.

It would be a shootout, that's for sure. OSU would have to be willing to play at the shootout pace, something Oregon has been accustomed to doing all year.

It depends. If Tressel is willing to accept the fast pace and the OSU defense doesn't get gassed, I think they could match up pretty well with Oregon.

guttle11
11-10-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't like this. Bad feeling...

GAC
11-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Boy! These two offenses have really gone south in the second quarter.

MWM
11-10-2007, 05:37 PM
They are clearly not ready to play today on the offensive side of the ball. I wonder if Tressel is wanting to save the good stuff for next week.

GAC
11-10-2007, 05:39 PM
I don't like this. Bad feeling...

Who do you trust to make the right halftime adjustments? Tressel or Zook?

I'll go with Tressel. ;)

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Missed the half Just tuned in, looks like Illinois came to play, no?

GAC
11-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Unless OSU's offense wakes up they are going down. They look terrible. I can't believe they are playing this way against a pass defense that is 10th in the Big Ten.

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2007, 06:45 PM
You got to be kidding me! They better pull their heads out of their butts. And soon.

OnBaseMachine
OSU will win by 10+.

GAC
Illinois TD!

28-14

Game pretty much over as far as I'm concerned.

I'm almost glad OSU got exposed NOW then in an NC game.

I'm just simply amazed that this pass defense, which is ranked #1 in the Big Ten, is allowing the worst QB in the Big Ten to do this to them AT HOME (4 TD passes)

Simply hysterical.

21 un-answered Illinois points.

WMR
11-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Dang. What's up with tOSU?

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Beanie Baby! Hurrah--back in it!

GAC
11-10-2007, 06:52 PM
BEANIE! TD!!!

28-21 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

I gotts step outside for a cig, a beer, a shot, and a cup of joe. :lol:

D-Man
11-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Great way to end the quarter. Beanie is the man, what a finisher.

I liked how Boeckman tucked it under and ran with the ball on that drive, once he saw the receivers were covered. He needs to continue doing that, rather than forcing the ball or hanging around in the pocket.

Illinois has played three flawless quarters (no TOs, no penalties!), and they're still only ahead by a TD.

guttle11
11-10-2007, 06:58 PM
We need a turnover bad.

GAC
11-10-2007, 07:01 PM
We need a turnover bad.

No. Our vaunted defensive line needs to stop a run.

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Illy is sooo slow in their plays developing, I think it's screwing up the D. ROFL

Unreal.

GAC
11-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Another stupid pass by Boeckman into dbl coverage.... and the 3rd INT.

guttle11
11-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Well, that was awful. There's no need to throw deep. Horrible decision. Probably game over now.

joshnky
11-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Boeckman is a decent but flawed QB. He is too quick to abandon the play and scramble and he seems to have a propensity to throw it to Illini DBs.

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Please punt.

WMR
11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Where's that idiot Skip Bayless calling for Boeckman for Heisman?? :lol:

GAC
11-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, that was awful. There's no need to throw deep. Horrible decision.

It's called panicking. ;)

You're only down by a TD. Get back to your game and grind it out.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Zook is crazy. He needs one inch (literally) and he punts. If you can't get one inch then you don't deserve to win.

WMR
11-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Zook is crazy. He needs one inch (literally) and he punts. If you can't get one inch then you don't deserve to win.

Agreed.

Show some guts.

guttle11
WHY DID THEY CALL A TIMEOUT!

Now they're going for it because we let them think it over. I don't care if you have 8 men on the field, don't call a timeout. They tried to give you the ball back, but you didn't want it!?!

Unbelievably stupid.

WMR
Wait now they're going for it.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2007, 07:15 PM

He wised up after the TO. First down.

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2007, 07:19 PM
They're making that scrub, Juice, lokk like a Heisman candidate.

GAC
11-10-2007, 07:21 PM
I cannot believe that OSU continues to allow Williams to run the ball like this! :rolleyes:

BoydsOfSummer
11-10-2007, 07:26 PM
That should do it. Well, at least there is beating Michigan to look forward to.

Unassisted
11-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm glad I didn't see the first half of this one. :p:

WMR
11-10-2007, 07:28 PM
OSU and Illinois players fighting at midfield. :eek:

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow. What happens if Tressel doesn't call timeout? Zook was punting.

WMR
11-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow. What happens if Tressel doesn't call timeout? Zook was punting.

:eek:

That's an excellent point.

GAC
11-10-2007, 07:34 PM
The "experts" at ESPN can now be happy. ;)

D-Man
11-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Why didn't Tressel thrown the flag on that fumble by Illinois? It was OBVIOUSLY a fumble. And it was one that looked like a fumble in real time as well.

I'm sure OBM is fuming at what a bad call that was. :evil: He just hates bad calls.

That non-call fumble ended up being the difference.

Mutaman
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Gee thats too bad. At least OSU showed their typical class and good sportmanship after the game.

cincy jacket
11-10-2007, 07:39 PM
I know on the video of the fight they showed you can clearly see Jenkins throwing punches at an Illini player's face. If he gets suspended next week Manningham might go for 300 yards.

GAC
11-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Gee thats too bad. At least OSU showed their typical class and good sportmanship after the game.

Typical low class statement coming from the anti-Buckeye. :lol:

reds44
11-10-2007, 07:43 PM
OMG

YES!!!!!!!!!!

guttle11
11-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Just using deductive reasoning here...but the announcers were saying the fight was at mid field. My guess is that Illinois was trying to celebrate on the "O". That's a no-no. I don't condone throwing punches, but I can't fault OSU players for taking offense to that.

If that's indeed what happened, I'd say Illinois was classless, not OSU.

Overall, Illinois deserved to win that game. They were the better team today. Before today OSU had won something like 29 of their last 30 games. That's impressive. Today was not their day.

Hopefully they can regroup and beat Michigan next week and hop a plane to Pasadena.

George Foster
11-10-2007, 08:00 PM
At least OSU does not have to go through an embarrassing National Championship loss to another SEC school. My prediction is LSU and Oregon...

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:06 PM
That non-call fumble ended up being the difference.Yep, that was the first sign of a bad day. If they are going to have the replay in the hands of officials, they have to stop play for a loose ball to be looked at. The only good explanation is that an inadvertant whistle was blown and it would have been moot.

As for the loss, the Buckeyes have lost two games in two years, both to teams that came in and put down a perfect game on 'em to beat 'em. No shame in that.

Of course, Muta, thank you for being one of those fans, of course you don't know what happened at midfield and who started what, but jump to the conclusion because you hate the Buckeyes.

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:08 PM
At least OSU does not have to go through an embarrassing National Championship loss to another SEC school. My prediction is LSU and Oregon...The same LSU that lost to UK and just slipped by Bama, who lost to Mississippi St? The same Oregon who has serious injury problems? The Buckeyes will be overly penalized for losing late.

GAC
11-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Just using deductive reasoning here...but the announcers were saying the fight was at mid field. My guess is that Illinois was trying to celebrate on the "O". That's a no-no. I don't condone throwing punches, but I can't fault OSU players for taking offense to that.

And that is exactly what I thought I saw too. No, it doesn't mean punches should have been thrown; but you can't incite the home team like that, especially after a loss, by trying to celebrate on their team insignia.

You beat us flat out. Don't try to add injury to the defeat.

Overall, Illinois deserved to win that game.

They played a flawless game. The team is one of the most penalized in the Big Ten, yet only had one penalty all day?

260 total yds rushing vs a team that all year only allowed 65 yds/game. Their offensive line did an amazing job.

The real difference in the game IMHO? Illinois is 9th in the Big Ten in pass defense (250 yds/game). Boeckman looked confused with their mixed coverage and threw for 156 yds. Illinois' defensive line did an excellent job, pushed our offensive line all over the place, and put pressure on Boeckman while stopping our running game, which was very predictable.

But congratulations to Illinois - they played one heck of a game.

Chip R
11-10-2007, 08:11 PM
The same LSU that lost to UK and just slipped by Bama, who lost to Mississippi St? The same Oregon who has serious injury problems? The Buckeyes will be overly penalized for losing late.

Big difference is that tOSU lost at home and LSU lost on the road and the Bama game was on the road too. tOSU will be penalized for losing late but they will be penalized worse for a weak schedule.

Caseyfan21
11-10-2007, 08:15 PM

If that's indeed what happened, I'd say Illinois was classless, not OSU.

Overall, Illinois deserved to win that game. They were the better team today. Before today OSU had won something like 29 of their last 30 games. That's impressive. Today was not their day.

Hopefully they can regroup and beat Michigan next week and hop a plane to Pasadena.

That's exactly what happened. As the game ended all the Illini players headed to the Block O at midfield and started celebrating. OSU players ALWAYS meet at the Block O for a post game prayer (every game this year). As the OSU players came over shoving started by both sides. Honestly, both teams were at fault. Illini should have more class than to celebrate at midfield on an opponents stadium and OSU players should have just let it go, they lost.

At least next weekend is still for the Big 10 crown and if OSU pulls off a win we can still head to the Rose Bowl. I think that still exceeds preseason predictions. And out of the remaining games, I'd much rather lose to Illinois than scUM.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2007, 08:15 PM
What a crazy game between North Texas and Navy. North Texas led Navy 49-45 at halftime!. It's now 73-56 Navy in the 4th quarter.

George Foster
11-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Yep, that was the first sign of a bad day. If they are going to have the replay in the hands of officials, they have to stop play for a loose ball to be looked at. The only good explanation is that an inadvertant whistle was blown and it would have been moot.

As for the loss, the Buckeyes have lost two games in two years, both to teams that came in and put down a perfect game on 'em to beat 'em. No shame in that.

Of course, Muta, thank you for being one of those fans, of course you don't know what happened at midfield and who started what, but jump to the conclusion because you hate the Buckeyes.

I agree that Illinois had to play a perfect game to beat you guys today....but Florida?... they were the far superior team in January. That game was over going into the 4th quarter. Florida doubled the time of possession for the game. They did not need a perfect game to win. Sorry thats just the facts.

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:20 PM
I agree that Illinois had to play a perfect game to beat you guys today....but Florida?... they were the far superior team in January. That game was over going into the 4th quarter. Florida doubled the time of possession for the game. They did not need a perfect game to win. Sorry thats just the facts.How did they get to that position? After the opening kickoff return, they played a perfect half of football. On that day, that one day, they played a perfect half of football. But far superior is a lot of an overstatement, FWIW.

MaineRed
11-10-2007, 08:28 PM
The same LSU that lost to UK and just slipped by Bama, who lost to Mississippi St? The same Oregon who has serious injury problems? The Buckeyes will be overly penalized for losing late.

I agree with your last sentence. Voters do not loook at the body of work at this point in the season, they look at what have you done for me lately. And it isn't fair.

Not sure why you bring Mississipi state into the discussion. They are 6-4 after beating Bama today and the four losses are to the following schools:

LSU, South Carolina, Tennessee and West Virginia. In addition to Bama and Kentucky they also beat Auburn. Not saying they are world beaters but State is a respectable football team.

If you want to get into who beat who, Iowa, a team that has a worse record than MSU beat Illinois. And if you want to go further than that, like I did with State's schedule, Iowa lost to Iowa State who is absolutely horrid. They lost to Kent State and N.Iowa. But they beat Iowa.

If there was one spot available and Ohio State and LSU were up for it, LSU has them trumped. The schedule (according to the numbers, not my opinion) is much better than that of the Buckeyes.

Ohio State's best plan would be to go beat Michigan and then hope for help. They are in better shape than a one loss Kansas team and a two loss Oregon, LSU, OU, Mizzou or just about anyone else if they end the year with just one. All the teams above could lose. It is likely the Big 12 will produce a team that doesn't lose the rest of the way but that would only be one team. If everyone else loses, Ohio State could be in the title game vs. the Big 12 champ.

LSU looks pretty good to get to the SEC title game. But they'll have a battle on their hands. And they still have to deal with Darren McFadden.

Kansas or Mizzou will lose next week. Either the winner or OU will lose in the Big 12 title game. Those are guarantees. OSU just needs one crazy thing to happen in the Big 12 then get a chip to fall their way in one of those games.

Oregon plays next Thursday night. Sounds like a set-up. They don't play anyone who is considered all that great but plenty of not so great teams have beat top teams so far. Oregon has 3 more bullets to dodge including tonight.

There is nobody else to worry about if you beat Michigan.

George Foster
11-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Dude...you just got beat by Ron Zook that got ran out of the SEC....The weakness of OSU's schedule has been discussed in detail. It cought up with them today. The SEC is the better conference this year....that's not a subjective opinion. OSU is a top ten team, no doubt, but no big ten school deserves a chance at the brass ring this year.

LSU could fall on it's butt, but they seem focused. I think Kansas is overrated, we will find out tonight. Oregon just seems to be peaking at the right time.

If I'm not mistaken, with Miss St. win, 10 teams are bowl eligible in the SEC...that's nuts. 10 out of 12 teams are bowl eligible....wow. What conference can say that?

Mutaman
11-10-2007, 08:30 PM
At least OSU does not have to go through an embarrassing National Championship loss to another SEC school. ...

And they'll have more time to concentrate on their studies. Maybe get that dismal graduation rate up a little bit.

Caveat Emperor
11-10-2007, 08:30 PM
How did they get to that position? After the opening kickoff return, they played a perfect half of football. On that day, that one day, they played a perfect half of football. But far superior is a lot of an overstatement, FWIW.

Florida was a better team last year. I didn't even think that was up for debate anymore. You can certainly argue the degree of "better-ness," but only a real homer would say OSU lost to an inferior team.

As far as today goes, it starts and ends with the poor rush defense OSU played. They didn't have an answer for the QB draw / Quick Option, and it killed them in the 4th quarter.

MaineRed
11-10-2007, 08:33 PM
What a crazy game between North Texas and Navy. North Texas led Navy 49-45 at halftime!. It's now 73-56 Navy in the 4th quarter.

I saw that and checked out some of the numbers. It was 35-28 in the second quarter alone.

I told my wife at halftime that it was probably going to be the highest scoring game in history. She showed no interest.

Cripes, is Navy on cloud nine or what? Another loss for the Golden Domers to Air Force. Charlie Weis is a fraud.

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Florida was a better team last year. I didn't even think that was up for debate anymore. You can certainly argue the degree of "better-ness," but only a real homer would say OSU lost to an inferior team.

As far as today goes, it starts and ends with the poor rush defense OSU played. They didn't have an answer for the QB draw / Quick Option, and it killed them in the 4th quarter.Who said they were an inferior team? I said they played a perfect half of football, hardly a measurement of superiority. What was all that debate about Michigan being deserving prior to the game? That may not have been your position, but I don't make "superior/inferior team" judgments on one game.

guttle11
11-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Dude...you just got beat by Ron Zook that got ran out of the SEC....The weakness of OSU's schedule has been discussed in detail. It cought up with them today. The SEC is the better conference this year....that's not a subjective opinion. OSU is a top ten team, no doubt, but no big ten school deserves a chance at the brass ring this year.

LSU could fall on it's butt, but they seem focused. I think Kansas is overrated, we will find out tonight. Oregon just seems to be peaking at the right time.

If I'm not mistaken, with Miss St. win, 10 teams are bowl eligible in the SEC...that's nuts. 10 out of 12 teams are bowl eligible....wow. What conference can say that?

10 of the 11 Big Ten teams are bowl eligible. All you need to do is go 6-6 to be bowl eligible. Hardly an accomplishment worth cheering about.

Please don't use Miss. St as a defense of the SEC. They got blown out by West Virginia in their only OOC test. The fact that they've beaten some highly viewed SEC teams actually hurts the SEC's supposed dominance.

Cedric already nailed the SEC's perception though. They've had exactly one quality OOC win this year. One. Yes, the Big Ten hasn't had any, but one win doesn't make dominance. Not even close. From where I sit, the SEC is incredibly average this year. I see LSU as possibly superior to all but maybe 1 or 2 teams in the country, but I don't see the SEC as a whole being definitively superior to the Big Ten.

Caveat Emperor
11-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Charlie Weis is a fraud.

Now seems to be a good time to quote Caveat Emperor's Law of College Football #41:

Never, ever, give a football coach a big-time extension until you see how he does coaching his own recruits.

Next year should be Weis's first year coaching upperclassmen that he had a hand in recruiting. I'll wait until then before proclaiming him a total fraud.

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:37 PM
And they'll have more time to concentrate on their studies. Maybe get that dismal graduation rate up a little bit.You really don't know what you're talking about. They have another winning streak in the Big 10 with GPA. They also have a program where players who go pro can come back and continue their education on their scholarship. Of course, your level of discourse (trolling) probably could care less about facts.

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:40 PM
10 of the 11 Big Ten teams are bowl eligible. All you need to do is go 6-6 to be bowl eligible. Hardly an accomplishment with cheering about.

Please don't use Miss. St as a defense of the SEC. They got blown out by West Virginia in their only OOC test. The fact that they've beaten some highly viewed SEC teams actually hurts the SEC's supposed dominance.

Cedric already nailed the SEC's perception though. They've had exactly one quality OOC win this year. One. Yes, the Big Ten hasn't had any, but one win doesn't make dominance. Not even close.To add to that, Illinois' losses were to Missouri (top 10), Michigan (top 15) and Iowa (an upset). And they weren't ranked. It's a great system.

George Foster
11-10-2007, 08:41 PM
10 of the 11 Big Ten teams are bowl eligible. All you need to do is go 6-6 to be bowl eligible. Hardly an accomplishment with cheering about.

Cedric already nailed the SEC's perception though. They've had exactly one quality OOC win this year. One. Yes, the Big Ten hasn't had any, but one win doesn't make dominance. Not even close. From where I sit, the SEC is incredibly average this year.

Your right one win doesn't make dominance, but BCS rankings, bowl wins, and national championships might.

MaineRed
11-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Cedric already nailed the SEC's perception though. They've had exactly one quality OOC win this year. One. Yes, the Big Ten hasn't had any, but one win doesn't make dominance. Not even close. From where I sit, the SEC is incredibly average this year.

Yeah and that one win is one of the best OOC wins in the country so far this year.

You are also fail to mention that a good portion of SEC teams have yet to play their big OOC game this season.

Florida still has FSU.

South Carolina still has Clemson.

Georgia still has Georgia Tech.

Someone still has Wake.

It is no big surprise that the best team in Big East pounded the tenth best team in the SEC. Nobody is using MSU as evidence the SEC is dominant. What people are saying is don't use MSU as some bottom feeder. I know the perception on MSU. Maine beat them a couple of years ago. But this year they are OK.

GoReds33
11-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I was at the UC football game tonight, and the whole place cheered when they announced this score. That's what they get for looking ahead I guess.

MaineRed
11-10-2007, 08:52 PM
To add to that, Illinois' losses were to Missouri (top 10), Michigan (top 15) and Iowa (an upset). And they weren't ranked. It's a great system.

I only bring this up because the discussion has gone pretty deep into who has played who and all that.

Ole Miss the real and only bottom feeder in the SEC played Missouri and lost to them by only 13 points. Illinois one of the better teams in the Big Ten lost to them by six.

My point isn't anything other than it is college football. Some nights a horrible team like Ole Miss can play with a top ten team. Other nights a really good team like WVU can pound the crap out of a decent team. It happens.

If we are supposed to overlook Illinois losses because they are to good teams, Ole mis is 9-2 instead of 3-8.

gutte, I have to ask, you said the SEC is average? Compared to what? They are the number one conference in football, even in a down year (if that is what you want to call it).

Maybe they aren't having the best year but they are having a better year than anyone else.

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Big difference is that tOSU lost at home and LSU lost on the road and the Bama game was on the road too. tOSU will be penalized for losing late but they will be penalized worse for a weak schedule.The SOS seems to be the only thing folks want to talk about, but they beat 3 ranked teams on the road and one at home. And they didn't just slide by these teams, they destroyed them. I know it is a means of comparison, but tOSU is still a top 5 team and as good as any of the other top 5teams.

traderumor
11-10-2007, 08:54 PM
I only bring this up because the discussion has gone pretty deep into who has played who and all that.

Ole Miss the real and only bottom feeder in the SEC played Missouri and lost to them by only 13 points. Illinois one of the better teams in the Big Ten lost to them by six.

My point isn't anything other than it is college football. Some nights a horrible team like Ole Miss can play with a top ten team. Other nights a really good team like WVU can pound the crap out of a decent team. It happens.

If we are supposed to overlook Illinois losses because they are to good teams, Ole mis is 9-2 instead of 3-8.The point of comparison is that Illinois should have been in the top 25.

guttle11
11-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Please don't use Georgia Tech and Wake Forest as good OOC tests. Facts don't support that one. Florida State already beat Alabama, so at best the SEC will be 1-1 vs a mediocre team.

Here's the deal with teams like MSU in the SEC. When MSU beats someone, you hear "That's why the SEC is so tough. MSU can step up and beat anyone in the conference on any day." I have a feeling that's where GF was leading with that one. The mere fact that MSU has beaten 3 supposed good SEC teams just supports the belief that the SEC isn't very good when you look at facts. This is a team that got embarrassed vs a good team. If Michigan running through the Big Ten makes the Big Ten look bad (which many people have said), then MSU beating a few upper level SEC teams has to hurt the SEC. It just has to. Saying anything else is unreasonable.

redsfan1966
11-10-2007, 08:57 PM
sadness and despair in c-bus...

RedFanAlways1966
11-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Disappointing. But still a great season. With the BCS format it just feels that the season is lost when your fav team is a big player. I didn't feel good when it ended today, but after a bit of time it doesn't feel so bad. Where was this team ranked at the start of the season? To be on top (regardless of those who argue they didn't deserve it, but do not vote for it) after losing the talent from last year has made the year better than expected. Many teams would love to be 10-1 at this point.

Next year looks bright. A lot of guys returning. You never know how it will play out, but it looks good (top 5 pre-season).

Beat Michigan!

Caseyfan21
11-10-2007, 09:10 PM
sadness and despair in c-bus...

Yeah...pretty much.

I got my torch and I'm heading out now to flip a few cars and start a few dumpster fires.

Unassisted
11-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Beat Michigan!
Yep. Take it one game at a time. It's finally time to focus on Michigan.

At least we won't have to endure a week of speculation about Michigan having something to prove because they lost today.

redsfan1966
11-10-2007, 09:22 PM
i must admit i did not feel very angry afterward...just some disappointment...but yeah, when you really think about it, this season has been a good one for tOSU--next season was supposed to be the year we contended again for a national championship--so lets BEAT MICHIGAN!

traderumor
11-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah...pretty much.

I got my torch and I'm heading out now to flip a few cars and start a few dumpster fires.I think I'll go over to bucknuts.com and start a thread about "Tressel Ball" :p:

Roy Tucker
11-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Bummed they lost. Haven't read the whole thread but I'd imagine there is a lot of finger pointing.

OSU is a good team. Not a great team, but a very good team. And they got their butts kicked by a good Illinois team that played better than they did today.

Tressel screwed the pooch by not protesting that 1st TD, Boeckman panicked and made 2-3 ill-advised throws, Tressel went away fron a successful running game in the 1st half, and the OSU defense got their hats handed to them by a good Illinois OL, runnig backs, and Juice played a great game.

They lost. It happens.

MaineRed
11-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Please don't use Georgia Tech and Wake Forest as good OOC tests. Facts don't support that one. Florida State already beat Alabama, so at best the SEC will be 1-1 vs a mediocre team.

Here's the deal with teams like MSU in the SEC. When MSU beats someone, you hear "That's why the SEC is so tough. MSU can step up and beat anyone in the conference on any day." I have a feeling that's where GF was leading with that one. The mere fact that MSU has beaten 3 supposed good SEC teams just supports the belief that the SEC isn't very good when you look at facts. This is a team that got embarrassed vs a good team. If Michigan running through the Big Ten makes the Big Ten look bad (which many people have said), then MSU beating a few upper level SEC teams has to hurt the SEC. It just has to. Saying anything else is unreasonable.

I'm not using those games as stern OOC test. But they are the toughest OOC games those teams play. And all of them are just as tough as the hardest OOC game OSU had to play this year. In fact take away the Michigan loss to Oregon and the Illinois loss to Missouri and the Big Ten has played a grand total of O significant OOC games. ZERO!

You want to rip the SEC for only having one win and rip their OOC schedules? Well where is the OOC schedule from these leagues that you are claiming is better than the SEC?

You want credit for playing Oregon and Mizzou? Where is the credit for the beat down on Virginia Tech, as impressive of an OOC win as anyone in the country can claim. Where is the credit for playing WVU? Where is the credit for playing South Florida when they were ROLLING? Clemson is 8-2. Wake, Georgia Tech and Florida State are ALL 6-4. Beats the heck out of the pathetic Big Ten OOC SCHEDULE. Beats it to absolute pulp.

Your reading what you want to read and hearing what you want to hear IMO. I think you are being overly sensitive and taking what appears to be a minority of the opinions and pretending it is some large scale assualt on the Big Ten by SEC enthusiast. I just don't see it. Do some people say the things you claim they do? Sure. But it isn't near as loud as you make it out to be.

I don't know what you consider a decent football team to be but if I had to guess I would say your criteria would eliminate just about everyone. I'm sure you can come up with some reason why Georgia isn't any good. Or why Florida isn't any good. Or why Tennessee isn't any good. But most people think those are good teams. Not world beaters but good. Same with Auburn and a few others. But guess what, when these teams play each other, someone has to lose. Every game. Two good teams play, one is losing. I realize the same can be said about two bad teams. But you are putting yourself on an island if you think a game like Georgia and Auburn is being played by two bad teams.

Like I said, if the SEC is average, what are the good conferences? And what do you say about things like Jeff Sagarin's computer rankings that have the SEC as the obvious number one conference in college football? There is no bias in his rankings. How do you refute it?

You've drilled this perception into your head that just isn't there. IMO most sensible college football fans realize the SEC is the best conference. I said most, not all. At the same time I think most of those people are not under the illusion that the only college football that matters is played in the SEC. Had OSU and Michigan won today it would have set up the biggest college football game of the season and the nation would have been watching. And we wouldn't have been watching with an eye out for something to criticize. The world is not out to get you. Relax.

GAC
11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Bummed they lost. Haven't read the whole thread but I'd imagine there is a lot of finger pointing.

OSU is a good team. Not a great team, but a very good team. And they got their butts kicked by a good Illinois team that played better than they did today.

Tressel screwed the pooch by not protesting that 1st TD, Boeckman panicked and made 2-3 ill-advised throws, Tressel went away fron a successful running game in the 1st half, and the OSU defense got their hats handed to them by a good Illinois OL, runnig backs, and Juice played a great game.

They lost. It happens.

Good synopsis IMO.

I think most Buckeye fans went into this season, after losing the talent we did, and never imagined we'd accomplish what we did. I cetainly didn't. I thought they'd loss 2 or 3 games.

So IMO - they over-achieved (and that is not a bad thing).

I went into this season thinking Michigan had one heck of a shot at being in the NC game.

Beat Michigan next week, get a Rose Bowl berth - and there is nothing OSU fans can hang their heads about.

Still going to be one heck of a game next week IMO.

GAC
11-10-2007, 10:12 PM
And they'll have more time to concentrate on their studies. Maybe get that dismal graduation rate up a little bit.

http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

:lol:

George Foster
11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Good synopsis IMO.

I think most Buckeye fans went into this season, after losing the talent we did, and never imagined we'd accomplish what we did. I cetainly didn't. I thought they'd loss 2 or 3 games.

So IMO - they over-achieved (and that is not a bad thing).

I went into this season thinking Michigan had one heck of a shot at being in the NC game.

Beat Michigan next week, get a Rose Bowl berth - and there is nothing OSU fans can hang their heads about.

Still going to be one heck of a game next week IMO.

I totally agree with you except the last part. I predict OSU by 14.
OSU will be pissed off and Michigan will be scared to death all week. OSU is a good team that will be even better next year.
If Tebow were to come back for Florida they are the team to beat with all the underclassman they have starting this year. I don't think he comes back. Has Tebow said anything about next year? I've not heard anything.

guttle11
11-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I totally agree with you except the last part. I predict OSU by 14.
OSU will be pissed off and Michigan will be scared to death all week. OSU is a good team that will be even better next year.
If Tebow were to come back for Florida they are the team to beat with all the underclassman they have starting this year. I don't think he comes back. Has Tebow said anything about next year? I've not heard anything.

Tebow has to come back, because he's a true sophomore. Have to be in college for three years.

MaineRed
11-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm sure you will see it in the other thread but I believe he has to come back. He is only a sophomore.

Spring~Fields
11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
They lost. It happens.

Yup, aw shucks they lost, turn the page, move on.

The team has had a good season after losing x number of contributors from last years team. Besides when a Tressel team loses they seem to learn from it and improve.

George Foster
11-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Tebow has to come back, because he's a true sophomore. Have to be in college for three years.

I forgot the NFL has different rules than the NBA. Florida will be pretty tough next year. They are starting a lot of underclassmen this year. I thought he was a redshirt his freshman year.
He's huge for only 20 years old.

Spring~Fields
11-10-2007, 10:47 PM
http://communitiesonline.homestead.com/files/troll_2.jpg

:lol:

And to think that I never squeaked a word to M through the front door or back door with the keyboard when Wisconsin lost rather easily to OSU.

I think that we all know the Big Ten has some work to do. Especially if Michigan or Ohio State is to ever get any competition in that conference. I am afraid that the NCAA might force them to change the conference name to the Big Two and the little wannabes :D

GAC
11-10-2007, 11:54 PM
And to think that I never squeaked a word to M through the front door or back door with the keyboard when Wisconsin lost rather easily to OSU.

And you wouldn't have heard a peep from him either (unless OSU had lost). ;)

Mutaman
11-11-2007, 12:03 AM
And you wouldn't have heard a peep from him either (unless OSU had lost). ;)

GAC is still bitter from the thrashing he took over at the Peanut Gallery last time he started pontificating over there. Haven't seen you around in a long time, buddy.

Unassisted
11-11-2007, 12:42 AM
As the game ended all the Illini players headed to the Block O at midfield and started celebrating. OSU players ALWAYS meet at the Block O for a post game prayer (every game this year). As the OSU players came over shoving started by both sides. Honestly, both teams were at fault. Illini should have more class than to celebrate at midfield on an opponents stadium and OSU players should have just let it go, they lost.

For the record, the Dispatch article (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/11/10/osuillgame.html?sid=101) on the game concurs with this.

"The jubilation caused a brief problem afterward, as Illini players rushed to midfield and the Buckeyes thought the visitors were disrespecting their logo. Some shoving ensued but quickly ended."

Caseyfan21
11-11-2007, 12:50 AM
For the record, the Dispatch article (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/11/10/osuillgame.html?sid=101) on the game concurs with this.

"The jubilation caused a brief problem afterward, as Illini players rushed to midfield and the Buckeyes thought the visitors were disrespecting their logo. Some shoving ensued but quickly ended."

Yeah, definitely too high of emotions on both sides. I just hope the Buckeyes won't face any penalties for the shoving match. I could easily see Malcolm Jenkins (among others) up in the faces of Illini players and possibly even trying to throw a punch or two. My roommate also said he saw Larry Grant and Beanie Wells in the middle but I didn't see it. I just hope this won't come back and bite OSU this week with possible suspensions.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 12:56 AM
Illini should have more class than to celebrate at midfield on an opponents stadium

Where are they supposed to celebrate? Are both endzones, which are also painted up in OSU colors off limits too? Illinois won, they own that field for a few minutes after the game. Ohio State should go to church if they want to pray.

It is lame to say, "hey guys we know you won but can you pipe down we are trying to pray."

Gimme a break.

Where did the Red Sox celebrate their world series win? In the middle of the diamond. When a college team wins a big game where does the piggy pile usually happen? Mid court. Are we saying that if the Rockies had a painted C R in the middle of their infield it would have been classless of the Red Sox to not choose somewhere else to celebrate?

jimbo
11-11-2007, 01:45 AM
Where are they supposed to celebrate? Are both endzones, which are also painted up in OSU colors off limits too? Illinois won, they own that field for a few minutes after the game. Ohio State should go to church if they want to pray.

If the Illinois players made a point to go directly to the mid-field block O, then it's obvious it was intentional and meant to disrespect. There is still such a thing as winning with "class."

As far as that last comment goes, I'm not going to touch it because it's just ridiculous.

MWM
11-11-2007, 03:17 AM

The academic record of OSU football players under Jim Tresell is much better than your precious Badgers. The Buckeyes have had more academic All-conference players on their team than any other Big Ten team for 3 straight years, and the highest team GPA in the conference forseveral years as well. But don't let that get in the way of your argument.

MWM
11-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Boekman really layed an egg today. Illinois had a good game plan coming into today. They didn't let any long pass plays, which has been the bread and butter of that offense.

Beanie Wells being hurt was also a factor in the game. But the defense's lack of ability to stop Williams was the biggest factor.

GAC
11-11-2007, 06:18 AM

I personally don't think any visiting team, regardless of who it is, and this is something the NCAA heirarchy (as well as the respective coaching staffs) should get involved in - should be trying to celebrate on a home team's emblem after a game.... the jumping up and down on that team's emblem which is likened to "It's not enough that we beat you, now we want ro rub salt in the wound."

Why?

#1 - it is classless. Not good sportsmanship.
#2 - it promotes what we saw yesterday, which could get even uglier as tempers flare
#3 - someone could get hurt

If OSU wins at Michigan next week, I don't think you'lll see the OSU gathering at Michigan's midfield and celebrating by wanting to pounce up and down on the "M". I doubt Tressel would allow it.

I guess I'm just "old school"; but there is too much of this "in your face" and "Me, me, me" in sports today, where it's not enough that you beat your opponent, you know have to find a way to take one more slap at them.

Where did the Red Sox celebrate their world series win? In the middle of the diamond. When a college team wins a big game where does the piggy pile usually happen? Mid court. Are we saying that if the Rockies had a painted C R in the middle of their infield it would have been classless of the Red Sox to not choose somewhere else to celebrate?

Yeah. Especially if their intent was to add further insult to the injury by pouncing up and down on the home team's emblem. Again - it's just classless.

Go to the clubhouse, pop the champaign, give your interviews, and do your thing.

GAC
11-11-2007, 06:31 AM
The academic record of OSU football players under Jim Tresell is much better than your precious Badgers. The Buckeyes have had more academic All-conference players on their team than any other Big Ten team for 3 straight years, and the highest team GPA in the conference forseveral years as well. But don't let that get in the way of your argument.

http://www.eapcrackerbarrel.com/images/shhhh.jpg

Realize with him, facts are something that never gets in his way. ;)

GAC is still bitter from the thrashing he took over at the Peanut Gallery last time he started pontificating over there. Haven't seen you around in a long time, buddy.

How in the heck is that relevant to the discussion at hand (it being football)?

That's like some bitter little kid who loses an argument and doesn't have anything left to respond with, so throws out "Well yeah? My Dad can beat up your Dad!" :lol:

GAC
11-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Boekman really layed an egg today. Illinois had a good game plan coming into today. They didn't let any long pass plays, which has been the bread and butter of that offense.

Why did Boeckman "lay an egg"? It's obvious our usually reliable and staunch offensive line really did a poor job this day. I give credit to the Illinois defensive front/linebackers who really took the pressure off their defensive backs from having to defend the likes of Robiskie and Hartline. They were penetrating, not allowing Boeckman to get set. Boeckman was harassed all day. They were hitting our RBs before they even got to the line of scrimmage. And their LBers, especially Leman (who is simply awesome) quickly closed any holes that did appear. They completely dictated the rhythm of our offense to the point we became very predictable. It's like they watched the game films from the Florida game last year.

Their pass defense, which allows 235 yds/game played like ours which allowed 154 yds/game. Boeckman threw for 156 yds total, but 65 yds of that came on the first play of the game to Robiskie.

The Illini rushed for 260 yards against an Ohio State defense that came in allowing just 65 yards on the ground per game. They spread us out and slowly but gradually picked us clean.

I really don't know what our defensive game plan was? Stop Mendenhall and make one of the worst passing QB's in the Big Ten beat us? That's what happened. Williams didn't end up with impressive numbers; but he got the most out of what we gave him (he was Boeckman efficient).

Is there such a thing as BABIP in college football? :lol:

Here you have a kid (Dufrene) who all year has only touched the ball 32 times for 129 yds total, and rips off a run for an 80 yd run to the OSU 3.

A freshman (Thomas) replaces sophomore corner Vontae Davis after he suffers a slight concussion in the second quarter. Thomas, all 5-11, 173 pounds of him, replaced him, tipped one Boeckman pass into the end zone into the arms of Antonio Steele in the third quarter, then picked off one of his own in the fourth.

When wide receiver Arrelious Benn went out in the third quarter, Williams found sophomore Marcus Wilkins for a 31-yard touchdown pass. It was the third catch of Wilkins' career.

Illinois had possession in the 4th quarter for 13:46 minutes. That is simply unbelievable!

The refs definitely blew that Illini fumble early in the game; but I really don't know if it would have mattered or not the way we were playing and the way they were playing.

Hats off to the Illini.

What good came out of yesterday?

Just think - if Michigan hadn't lost, then we'd be playing next week just to get a share of the Big Ten title. At least we now have the controls in our hands where we can win it outright.

So lets put that game behind us and move on to better things! ;)

http://www.michigansux.com/picpages/truerwordsneerspoken.jpg

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 08:58 AM
If the Illinois players made a point to go directly to the mid-field block O, then it's obvious it was intentional and meant to disrespect. There is still such a thing as winning with "class."

As far as that last comment goes, I'm not going to touch it because it's just ridiculous.

Ohio State had 60 minutes to protect their home field. But they want to jump ugly as soon as the game gets over and start punching (pushing) people in the mouth?

Where was this during the game?

I think OSU showed just as much of a lack of class. They lost, why don't they go to the locker room and then they wouldn't have to witness it.

I'm sure at some point OSU came up with a big win over somene they weren't supposed to beat at home and the crowd stormed the field, maybe even knocked down the goal post, all in front of the favored team that just had their asses handed to them. And I bet that any fan of that losing team that claimed it would have been nice if their team could have just lost instead of having drunk college kids taunting them as they walked off the field. But that person would be accused of sour grapes and told their team should have won the game if they wanted it some other way.

You guys have been on top for so long that you have no clue what it feels like to pull an upset. When was the last time Jim Tressell, the man who would never let this happen pulled a major upset like this? Has he EVER? If you were a fan of Illinois you wouldn't be claiming disrespect to OSU, you would be claiming that it was the biggest win in years for the Illini and they should be allowed to have some fun.

It is a painted letter on some grass. You act like Illinois peed on a a nativity scene.

traderumor
11-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Maine Red,

It may seem like a stupid thing to you, but this whole middle of the field thing is a well known slap in the face done to show up the other team and its fans. Wisconsin has done the same thing and it starts a fight every time. It is poor sportsmanship, and the reaction by the Buckeyes is wrong, but Illinois was wrong to do something they knew would do exactly what it did.

And BTW, neither OSU or UM do such a thing when they win on the other team's field. Now, someone might tear down the other team's banner sometime over 30 years ago...

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 10:04 AM
In every one of those situations I would have said the losing team should have turned their backs and headed into the locker room. Unless the winning team is doing more than just "celebrating", deal with it. They are celebrating an on field win on the field, the same way a basketball team celebrates at mid court and a basetball piles on top of the pitchers mound. They shouldn't have to go somewhere else just because a giant O is painted in the middle of the field.

Using these unwritten rules it is OK to celebrate in the middle of Notre Dame's field because they don't put paint on the grass. But everywhere please make sure all celebrations are done between the 40 and the goal line?

Like I said, you guys have no idea what it feels like to pull an upset. You might beat someone during a down year but then the next year you are right back in the national title hunt. You don't know what it feels like to knock off Ohio State. I'm sure you guys are fine right where you are but it is too bad that you can't experience what Illinois did yesterday. You lose your head after wins like that. You don't know what to do. You feel like you could play Ohio State again, right then and beat them by twice as much. It is human emotion.

I don't buy the Tressel would never let this happen. Well Tressel would never be Ron Zook. Like the OSU fans Tressel probably hasn't been involved in an upset like that during his D1 career.

Maybe there is a way to win "with class" but I would hardly say Illinois has no class. That lumps them in with teams that take cheap shots, excessively celebrates after touchdowns, taunts non stop, etc, etc. A bunch of kids went to the middle of a football field and jumped up and down after winning the game of their life. Yup, what a bunch of classless bafoons. Future Chris Henry's and Pacman Jones for sure.

If this game had been played in Illinois the field would have been stormed. By a bunch of idiotic college kids running around like they just won the lottery. Is that classy? Ohio State players would have been taunted, bumped, had fingers put in their faces, etc, etc. But since none of this was done in the middle of their precious O, it all would have been nice and classy?

Class is when you witness a classless act and tell yourself you are bigger than that. That is what classy folks do. And that is not what Ohio State did. So lets drop this class business. It doesn't matter who did it first, emotion got the best of both teams at the end fo that game and if Illinois didn't win with class, Ohio State didn't lose with any. If an OSU player gets suspended for throwing a punch he is not going to be credited with doing what he had to do to show Ilinois what class is all about.

If you want to believe what Illinois did is wrong that is fine. I can understand that to some degree. But don't give me the Ohio State high and mighty act when your guys are out there fighting and saying who knows what. A classy guy (team) would walk away knowing the other team was "showing no class" and making an ass of themselves. Class is not defined by how far you will go to defend your O.

Illinois hadn' had a big win like this for a long time. Maybe going back to the mid 90s when they upset that really good Penn State team. Can you Buckeye fans imagine going that long without a win over a really good team? Illinois (I'm guessing) didn't want the moment to end. They wanted to plant their flag atop the world of college football for once. It wasn't about pourig salt in the wound IMO. Just taken that way.

I seriously doubt had the folks complaining about this been in an Illini uniform yesteday that they would have been out there pulling their teammates away while telling them they should go into the locker room to celebrate.

It will probably never happen because OSU is that big but maybe someday the Bucks will be down and their fans can experience a perennial doormat OSU team beating the number one team in the land. I bet YOUR celebration will trump whatever anyone wants to call you, the team or the school. It will be back to, shut up, play better, we won, deal with it.

MWM
11-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Anyone of your precious SEC teams would have done the saem thing had the opposing team gone to celebrate on their emblem at mid-field after the game. Heck, just about any team in college football would have. Remember Mark Richt from Georgia thought it so classless he went and shoved his own team off mid-field after they beat Florida because he thought it showed a omplete lack of sportsmanship. I think it's widely accepted that doing that its a way to rub it in your opponents face. I don't think OSU did anything just about any other team wouldn't have done.

MWM
11-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Why did Boeckman "lay an egg"?

I thought it was obvious. He made several bonehead throws he should have just thrown away. His INT in the endzone was especially bad. His INT where just threw the ball up into double coverage was also very costly and not very smart. He played a bad game. It happens.

OSUGoBucksOSU
11-11-2007, 10:51 AM
To add to that, Illinois' losses were to Missouri (top 10), Michigan (top 15) and Iowa (an upset). And they weren't ranked. It's a great system.

That is what kills me. They say the Illini isn't not a good team? "Unranked" Come one. What would they be ranked if they were in the SEC with their current record (even before the OSU game? They very easily could be 10-1 also.

2007 Schedule
DATE OPPONENT RESULT/TIME
09/01 Missouri L 40-34
09/08 W Illinois W 21-0
09/15 at Syracuse W 41-20
09/22 at Indiana W 27-14
09/29 #21 Penn State W 27-20
10/06 #5 Wisconsin W 31-26
10/13 at Iowa L 10-6
10/20 #25 Michigan L 27-17
10/27 Ball St W 28-17
11/03 at Minnesota W 44-17
11/10 at #1 Ohio St W 28-21
11/17 N'western TBD

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Nice try MWM. I assume this is what you are talking about. Don't see anything about an after game incident.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/10/29/richt.apology.ap/index.html

Georgia coach Mark Richt apologized Monday for his team's raucous celebration after its first touchdown against Florida, a display that he encouraged in hopes of firing his team up.

The motivational tactic seemed to work -- the No. 10 Bulldogs went on to a 42-30 victory, only their third win against the 18th-ranked Gators in the last 18 years.

But Richt apologized to Southeastern Conference commissioner Mike Slive by telephone and in a letter for his actions leading up to Saturday's game.

Some 70 players stormed the field after Knowshon Moreno's touchdown run, leading to numerous penalty flags. Richt didn't mind a bit, admitting afterward he told his team he would give them extra running if they didn't get called for excessive celebration.

"As a follow-up to our telephone discussion earlier today, I do want to apologize in writing for what transpired after the first score of the Georgia/Florida game this past Saturday when our entire team left the bench area to celebrate the score." Richt wrote.

"I apologize that I put everyone in that situation and specifically apologize to you, the Southeastern Conference, and the University of Florida. You can be assured I will not ask our team to do this type of thing again."

The whole thing was RICHT's IDEA!! And besides, Florida and Georgia play on a neutral field so there is nothing to stomp on at midfield and nothing for Florida to take exception to. Richt was just playing to the camera.

You obviously did not watch the Georgia-Florida game, you just a quick highlight and ESPN and come to your own conclusion. The percieved after game celebration on top of the Gator inside the Swamp was actually a first quarter TD celebration in the back of the endzone in neutral Jacksonville.

You aren't biased against the SEC but it is clear you don't follow the league very closely. It is well documented that the Georgia-Florida game, is played in Jacksonville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World's_Largest_Outdoor_Cocktail_Party

traderumor
11-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Maine Red,

Plain and simple, you're giving the Illini more slack than you are giving the Buckeyes for reacting to the po' boys from Champaign beating up the rich kids from Columbus and symbolically peeing on their field while they're doing it. A bit one sided, dontcha think? BTW, Zook was visibly angry at the fighting, not sure if it was at his guys or the fight in general. Both teams were wrong, why continue to rationalize that the one hadn't gotten any for awhile, so it was ok for him to slap the girl around after having his way with her?

MWM
11-11-2007, 11:13 AM
OK, so it wasn't Florida, it was the Vanderbilt game. His team went to celebrate on the other team's emblem at mid-field after the game and he went and shoved them off. Here's a quote from him:

"To me stomping on the logo at the end of a game that is a slap in the face and an act we don't expect and don't want," Richt said.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2007/10/28/gafoot_1029.html

Bulldogs coach Mark Richt shoved some of his players while they celebrated at midfield after Brandon Coutu kicked a 37-yard field goal as time expired to beat Vanderbilt 20-17 on Saturday. Richt was upset the players were jumping on the Vanderbilt logo. He was probably more peeved about another lackluster effort.

"I was pushing them off the doggone thing and told them it was bunch of baloney and we are not going to do that," Richt said.

Just after Brandon Coutu's kick sailed through the uprights, a crowd of Georgia players gathered at midfield and started a post-game stomp on the Vanderbilt star.

Richt quickly ran out to the 50-yard line and angrily chased his 'Dogs off the logo. ESPN sideline reporter Jeanine Edwards soon caught up with the coach, and her first question was about his players' petty pouncing.

"That's not us," Richt replied. "I apologize to the Vanderbilt fans."

First of all, stomping on an opponent's logo is always an embarrassing sign of poor sportmanship. Second, such actions can lead to dangerous brawls and even some pepper spray in the peepers. Third, you're directing your misled machismo at Vanderbilt.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Georgia beating Vandy is ho hum. Georgia should be embarassed to let Vandy play with them which Vandy did. Jumping up and down at midfield was an embarassing thing for the Bulldogs to do and Richt had to mortified at the sight of them doing that. Vandy?

This was Illinois beating the number one team in the land. To me the difference is quite significant.

The problem comes when teams start to do it in situations like Georgia. It shouldn't symbolize a win. But it should be excused IMO when a team wins their biggest game in 12 years or so. In THOSE situations to me it isn't disrespect. It is just a bunch of kids who deserve to go crazy for a few minutes. If they aren't out there spitting on the O or trying to dig it up, let it go.

Marc D
11-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Georgia beating Vandy is ho hum. Georgia should be embarassed to let Vandy play with them which Vandy did. Jumping up and down at midfield was an embarassing thing for the Bulldogs to do and Richt had to mortified at the sight of them doing that. Vandy?

This was Illinois beating the number one team in the land. To me the difference is quite significant.

The problem comes when teams start to do it in situations like Georgia. It shouldn't symbolize a win. But it should be excused IMO when a team wins their biggest game in 12 years or so. In THOSE situations to me it isn't disrespect. It is just a bunch of kids who deserve to go crazy for a few minutes. If they aren't out there spitting on the O or trying to dig it up, let it go.

Dancing on the other teams logo is a well known sign of disrespect and showboating in college football. Rationalize it all you want but its just like all of the "unwritten rules" in baseball.

Richt didn't go off on his players and issue a public apology on the spot to Vandy for no reason. Its considered a slap in the face to the home school no matter who was ranked what before the game.

I agree 100% that OSU players should have taken care of business and wouldn't have had to worry about it but you can't win them all. Hats off to Illinois for the way they played the game, they wanted it more. The post game stuff was bush.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Maine Red,

Plain and simple, you're giving the Illini more slack than you are giving the Buckeyes for reacting to the po' boys from Champaign beating up the rich kids from Columbus and symbolically peeing on their field while they're doing it. A bit one sided, dontcha think? BTW, Zook was visibly angry at the fighting, not sure if it was at his guys or the fight in general. Both teams were wrong, why continue to rationalize that the one hadn't gotten any for awhile, so it was ok for him to slap the girl around after having his way with her?

This game was Illinois Super Bowl. Did you see the Red Sox when they won at Coors? OK, so the celebration pile wasn't on top of the Rockies logo but it was in the middle of the diamond the team from Denver calls home. And it wasn't disprectful of the Red Sox to go nuts and run around the ROCKIES diamond.

But don't pull that stunt on the field of THE Ohio State University. That would be classless.

The Red Sox slapped the Rox around like Tyson fighting Peter McNeely. It was a beat down. And when the Red Sox got done they, "slapped the girl around for awhile after having their way with her".

Did anyone cry? Was there write in campaign by Rockie fans to have the Red Sox labled as classless? Nope. And I'm supposed to believe the lack of a Rockies logo painted on the field is the reason for this?

Please.

Am I being one sided? YES. Because I don't think Illinois did anything wrong. And I don't think you can imply that OSU is classy while Illinois is not when the Buckeyes are in an after game exchange over a petty thing like this.

MWM
11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
MR, you're not making any sense, which is usually what happens when you're arguing just for the sake of arguing.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Dancing on the other teams logo is a well known sign of disrespect and showboating in college football.

There are quite a few things about the Buckeyes that are well known throughout college football but they all get dismissed in places like this. Every discussion about the Buckeyes is completely one sided. They are on the right side of right, every time. Must be nice to be so friggin perfect.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 11:56 AM
MR, you're not making any sense, which is usually what happens when you're arguing just for the sake of arguing.

If you want to disagree with me MWM fine. But I seriously question how you can think I am making no sense.

If you want to explain how celebrating at midcourt on a basketball court is different than doing the same thing on a football field without saying, it just is, I am all ears. It being a well known "fact" that is disrespectful, isn't good enough.

If we were in court could you prove without a shadow of a doubt, this well known fact?

NJReds
11-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I think rushing the field has gotten out of hand. Everyone does it now, even when a team is a favorite. Now Illinois beat the #1 team in the country. I have no issue w/an onfield celebration - logo or not.

Caseyfan21
11-11-2007, 12:03 PM
This game was Illinois Super Bowl. Did you see the Red Sox when they won at Coors? OK, so the celebration pile wasn't on top of the Rockies logo but it was in the middle of the diamond the team from Denver calls home. And it wasn't disprectful of the Red Sox to go nuts and run around the ROCKIES diamond.

But don't pull that stunt on the field of THE Ohio State University. That would be classless.

The Red Sox slapped the Rox around like Tyson fighting Peter McNeely. It was a beat down. And when the Red Sox got done they, "slapped the girl around for awhile after having their way with her".

Did anyone cry? Was there write in campaign by Rockie fans to have the Red Sox labled as classless? Nope. And I'm supposed to believe the lack of a Rockies logo painted on the field is the reason for this?

Please.

Am I being one sided? YES. Because I don't think Illinois did anything wrong. And I don't think you can imply that OSU is classy while Illinois is not when the Buckeyes are in an after game exchange over a petty thing like this.

That is a terrible argument. Since the beginning of time, baseball teams have always celebrated at the pitcher's mound after a win. No matter home or away the team always comes out of the dugout and slaps high fives and hugs whether it's the Reds with a midseason win in Milwaukee or the Red Sox celebrating the World Series win.

However, in college football the only team that celebrates in the center of the field is the home team. Visitors do not commonly celebrate on another team's field.

Furthermore, not sure if you've ever been to OSU game, but the OSU team gathers at midfield after every game for a post game prayer. The majority of this gathering is OSU players, but frequently members of the opposing team will join in as well. This is done before the team heads over to sing Carmen.

Illinois and Ron Zook have played in Columbus before so they are aware of this tradition that has been going on ever since I have been a student here (4th year). The OSU players always head to the middle of the field win or lose. I think it was absolutely classless Illinois to do their celebrating in the middle of an opponents field. In college football teams just don't do that. You can draw your baseball analogy all day but baseball has different rules of etiquette. It's not as personal in a professional sport because the professionals don't care for their teams traditions like in college. Illinois should have just come out, exchanged greetings with the OSU team and taken their celebration over in front of their fan sections or to their locker room.

But, as a noted in my post a few pages ago, OSU was at fault too. OSU should have come to the center of the field for their prayer, but they should not have started throwing punches. Illinois started the skirmish by being where they were but OSU escalated it by coming in with macho attitudes. Both teams were equally at fault.

Mutaman
11-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Furthermore, not sure if you've ever been to OSU game, but the OSU team gathers at midfield after every game for a post game prayer.

Do the atheists on the team join in this prayer? What about the Jews and the Agnostics? Wasn't Ted Guinn jr a Buddist, did he join in the prayer? Give us some more details. And when all these prayers walked over to midfield and saw Illinois celebrating there, they started to punch the Illinois players in the face? After the fight, did they have their prayer?

Like I said OSU handled things with their usual class and good sportmanship. OSU fans have one definition of that and the rest of us have annother.

guttle11
11-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Do the atheists on the team join in this prayer? What about the Jews and the Agnostics? Wasn't Ted Guinn jr a Buddist, did he join in the prayer? Give us some more details. And when all these prayers walked over to midfield and saw Illinois celebrating there, they started to punch the Illinois players in the face? After the fight, did they have their prayer?

Like I said OSU handled things with their usual class and good sportmanship. OSU fans have one definition of that and the rest of us have annother.

So Illinois jumping and dancing on the logo is perfectly normal, but defending your school's name (what the logo represents) is classless? Gotcha. I saw one Ohio State player throw a punch and that is unacceptable. Hardly an indictment of a whole program, though.

Now when it comes to here...I haven't seen an OSU fan that hasn't mentioned how great Illinois played and how they were the better team yesterday and deserved to win. I could be way off here, but that's losing with class. Seems to me the OSU haters (mainly you) are completely misinformed of this particular definition of the word class.

Marc D
11-11-2007, 01:10 PM
There are quite a few things about the Buckeyes that are well known throughout college football but they all get dismissed in places like this. Every discussion about the Buckeyes is completely one sided. They are on the right side of right, every time. Must be nice to be so friggin perfect.

What??

You aren't even making sense now. Obviously you have a strong dislike for OSU and revel in their losses. Nothing I can say or do will change that but make no mistake, you are 100% wrong in your assertion that the logo stomping thing in all CFB(not just where OSU is concerned) is no big deal.

I feel the team that lost shouldn't start a fight, I think they earned the embarrassmanet they should stand there and watch it. That said, it doesn't make the people who do it any less classless.

traderumor
11-11-2007, 02:24 PM
There are quite a few things about the Buckeyes that are well known throughout college football but they all get dismissed in places like this. Every discussion about the Buckeyes is completely one sided. They are on the right side of right, every time. Must be nice to be so friggin perfect.Sounds like the lame arguments I use when I'm running out of legitimate arguments in a fight with my spouse.

Roy Tucker
11-11-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm an OSU fan, but the whole logo in the middle of the field thing has all gotten pretty silly.

I'd prefer teams don't do the dancing on the logo thing. I'm an old school guy who thinks that you play 60 minutes as hard as you can, knock the snot out of your opponent, and then shake hands at the end and say "good game", win or lose. Don't show up your opponent.

For heavens sake, high school teams do this. They form a big line and everyone shakes hands/slaps palms with everyone else. Starters, subs, coaches, everyone. No barking and woofing or other juvenile stunts. That's class.

But the whole logo thing bugs you only if you let it. If you don't like the logo dance, then walk away. Let the other team have their silly little moment. Just remember it the next time you play them. And when you win the next time, show them how to win with class. Congratulate them on a well-played game, shake hands, and walk away with class.

LoganBuck
11-11-2007, 04:00 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised by this season for Ohio State. I predicted a tough season, and they have performed a whole lot better than I thought they would. The loss yesterday was at the feet of the offense. Between Boeckman, and the line their was enough blame to go around. Three turnovers, will not win you many games.

The inability of the defense to stop the run was schematic in the nature of playing the 4-2-5 defense. It allows the offense to many opportunities, for short down and distance plays, because it frequently yields 4-6 yards on first down. It was the same defense that Florida manipulated last year. In order to play that you must have defensive tackles pushing the pocket and causing the QB to go sideways. Illinois was left with holes to pick up those yards.

Illinois came in and flat out beat OSU. No whining allowed. The dancing on the logo, is childish, and I wish it didn't happen. Wisconsin did it and touched off a fight years back, and it ignited that team. Lets see if they can harness that anger for next week.

Mutaman where were you last week?

BTW: ITS MICHIGAN WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mutaman
11-11-2007, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=LoganBuck;1495602]
Mutaman where were you last week?

QUOTE]

Enjoying the Packer's win over Kansas City. Didn't see the Badger game, it was on the BTN.

Caseyfan21
11-11-2007, 06:28 PM

I was simply stating the reason why the OSU team would be heading to the logo in the first place. They were there because that is where they head for a postgame tradition. And yes, after the brief skirmish, they did gather at midfield as normal.

There are players that do not join in the post game prayer. They simply head over toward the band to sing Carmen or hang out elsewhere. I certainly don't want this to turn into Peanut Gallery material, I was simply stating a post game tradition. I think most people, no matter their religious views, would certainly find a non-denominational post game prayer, in which both teams usually participate, to be acceptable. Football can be a scary game and it's always good to have a meditation/reflection time afterwards. If you truly desire more specific details about this, then I could talk to a good friend on the team and I'm sure he could answer any questions.

And before you put words in my mouth (which you LOVE to do to OSU fans) double check my post. In it, you might notice (if you read to the last paragraph) that I place blame on both teams. OSU should not have come to punches over this, it's just not worth it.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm an OSU fan, but the whole logo in the middle of the field thing has all gotten pretty silly.

I'd prefer teams don't do the dancing on the logo thing. I'm an old school guy who thinks that you play 60 minutes as hard as you can, knock the snot out of your opponent, and then shake hands at the end and say "good game", win or lose. Don't show up your opponent.

For heavens sake, high school teams do this. They form a big line and everyone shakes hands/slaps palms with everyone else. Starters, subs, coaches, everyone. No barking and woofing or other juvenile stunts. That's class.

But the whole logo thing bugs you only if you let it. If you don't like the logo dance, then walk away. Let the other team have their silly little moment. Just remember it the next time you play them. And when you win the next time, show them how to win with class. Congratulate them on a well-played game, shake hands, and walk away with class.

I pretty much agree with this. It is what you make it out to be.

It shouldn't be disrepectful because someone told you it was. It either is or it isn't. There is no issue in other sports. But in football someone determined it was bad so everyone has bought in.

Other than the fact they did it at home I see no difference between a team celebrating on the field at OSU as the Reds doing the bounce they used to do after walk off wins. Someone tell me how that is "respectful" or "classy".

The only reason you think it is different in college football because someone, somewhere, told you it was. And you bought it.

The whole celebration thing in sports has kind of gotten out of hand in sports. But I like it when my teams jump up and down after a win, like the Reds used to do and I just deal with it when some team celebrates on the floor of my team.

I think Georgia jumping up and down against Vandy is crazy. Georgia is a top ten team who should beat Georgia, every time. Illinois probably hasn't beaten OSU for a long time and I can't imagine the last time they beat a number one team. If they want to go to midfield and say we own this field they aren't doing anything but telling the truth.

Problem is, lots of folks just can't handle the truth and look to direct attention away from the events on the field. Whether it be refs, some player they don't like or a situation like this. If people want to believe this some how undermines the Illinois win all it does is point towards their ignorance. This is not the big deal it is made out to be and the excuses given are lame. It is where OSU goes to pray? Give me a break. Was that really what they were telling the Illini? Hey guys, move, we need to pray.

The majority of you would not be making a big deal out of this if you were Illini fans. You would want to excuse these college kids for simply enjoying their moment in the sun. Nobody knows what Illinois intent was. They just automatically are looking to disprespect the Buckeyes. Maybe they just wanted to celebrate as a team and as has been proven in every sports celebration, mid field is the most obvious place to meet.

But shame on the Illini for conducting such lewd acts on sacred praying ground.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like the lame arguments I use when I'm running out of legitimate arguments in a fight with my spouse.

Don't underestimate yourself. Home isn't the only place you struggle to find legitmate arguments.

BuckeyeRed27
11-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Worst. Thread. Ever.

Yachtzee
11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Don't underestimate yourself. Home isn't the only place you struggle to find legitmate arguments.

If you're going to take it personal, take it PM, please.

GAC
11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I thought it was obvious. He made several bonehead throws he should have just thrown away. His INT in the endzone was especially bad. His INT where just threw the ball up into double coverage was also very costly and not very smart. He played a bad game. It happens.

You're right. I was just expanding a little bit and just think credit should be given to the Illini defense for putting the pressure on him, throwing him out of his game, and causing him to make those bad throws. The one INT in the endzone was tipped by a Illini defender.

Caseyfan21
11-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Maybe they just wanted to celebrate as a team and as has been proven in every sports celebration, mid field is the most obvious place to meet.

But shame on the Illini for conducting such lewd acts on sacred praying ground.

If I were an Illini player I'd want to celebrate with my fans, the only people that are on my side in the stadium....so I would probably head over to the section where they were. Only about 5 players max did this. Midfield is not the most obvious place to celebrate....in college football, teams usually celebrate with their fans if it's an away game.

Illinois had a better football game and certainly deserved to win. If any OSU fan says otherwise then they are lying. But I also think OSU players should take offense (in a nonviolent bulletin-board type way) to another team blatently celebrating on their turf. Hopefully we can go up to Champaign next year and win big, but show some class and keep our celebration off their field.

GAC
11-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Like I said, you guys have no idea what it feels like to pull an upset. You might beat someone during a down year but then the next year you are right back in the national title hunt.

Tressel is in his 7th year as OSU coach (hired in 2001). Where were you during the Earle "9-3" Bruce and John Cooper years? :lol:

Tressel has done a fantastic job; but even under him this team has not consistently been in the NC hunt. In 4 of those 7 years we had two or more losses/year.

I'm sure you guys are fine right where you are but it is too bad that you can't experience what Illinois did yesterday.

Can't? You need to check your OSU facts (history). We've been upset, and we've also upset some teams. So yeah, we know, and have experienced, what Illinois did yesterday.

Maybe there is a way to win "with class" but I would hardly say Illinois has no class. That lumps them in with teams that take cheap shots, excessively celebrates after touchdowns, taunts non stop, etc, etc. A bunch of kids went to the middle of a football field and jumped up and down after winning the game of their life. Yup, what a bunch of classless bafoons. Future Chris Henry's and Pacman Jones for sure.

Where did any OSU fan say that the Illini players were a bunch of bafoons and/or future CH's or Pacmans simply because many of us believe celebrating on a home team's midfield emblem is unsportsmanlike and poor judgment?

Now you're really starting to exaggerate.

If this game had been played in Illinois the field would have been stormed. By a bunch of idiotic college kids running around like they just won the lottery. Is that classy? Ohio State players would have been taunted, bumped, had fingers put in their faces, etc, etc. But since none of this was done in the middle of their precious O, it all would have been nice and classy?

You're bouncing all over the place. You do like to argue just for the sake of arguing. :lol:

If you can't see the difference between a bunch of exhuberant players running around on a field and celebrating, which is perfectly acceptable - to a deliberate act of running to the home team's midfield emblem to gather and stomp on it, and that it incites the emotions of the opposing team - then there is no reason to continue this discussion.

It has nothing to do with it simply being OSU. I think several OSU fans have stated that if their own team did it, their position would still be the same.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Hopefully we can go up to Champaign next year and win big, but show some class and keep our celebration off their field.

This is the kind of thing I can agree with. It beats the normal follow up a cheap shot with a cheap shot of your own mentality that is pretty prevalent around here.

RedFanAlways1966
11-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Can't? You need to check your OSU facts (history). We've been upset, and we've also upset some teams. So yeah, we know, and have experienced, what Illinois did yesterday.

14-point underdog to the Miami Hurricanes in the title game that OSU won. Not that long ago... and an upset. Not sure what Miami's win streak was going into that game, but it was impressive... and they were a BIG favorite in that game (2 TD fav). I am pretty sure OSU felt every bit what the Illini felt when they won in triple OT to bring home the NCAA title that day. And I don't remember the Buckeyes rubbing it in to Miami or stomping on their logo. We all know the Univ. of Miami would have been throwing punches if it did happen (like any team).

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
If you can't see the difference between a bunch of exhuberant players running around on a field and celebrating, which is perfectly acceptable - to a deliberate act of running to the home team's midfield emblem to gather and stomp on it, and that it incites the emotions of the opposing team - then there is no reason to continue this discussion.

Interestingly enough, we were not having a discussion. So I don't know what conversation you are dropping out of.

Never meant to imply that OSU has never been an underdog, I just think it has been awhile since they were down in the dumps consistently the way Illinois has been. I'm not an OSU historian and don't pretend to be one. So maybe someone could tell the last time an unranked Buckeye team beat a number one team, on the road? It is a rare thing to do.

Yes Miami was a big favorite and lost. And we all commend OSU for not stomping on the Tostitos logo at midfield when they beat them.

guttle11
11-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Never meant to imply that OSU has never been an underdog, I just think it has been awhile since they were down in the dumps consistently the way Illinois has been. I'm not an OSU historian and don't pretend to be one. So maybe someone could tell the last time an unranked Buckeye team beat a number one team, on the road? It is a rare thing to do.

As much as we all tried to forget, we did have the Bellisari years, which made 2002 that much more special.

LoganBuck
11-11-2007, 10:04 PM
As much as we all tried to forget, we did have the Bellisari years, which made 2002 that much more special.

Shudder

Thinks about it again

Shudder

RedFanAlways1966
11-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Yes Miami was a big favorite and lost. And we all commend OSU for not stomping on the Tostitos logo at midfield when they beat them.

I am sure Miami had their logo on the field in Tempe (endzone).

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Here is the final play of the Fiesta Bowl from 2003. At the conclusion of the play, watch where the majority of the Buckeyes head.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L23USyZAh3M

They do the same thing Illinois did in the same spot on the field. No Miami logo there but they are doing just what Illinois did, just on a neutral field. This video shows the same thing with more detail but it is a much longer tape.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dGh2bIENsp4

I maintain it is the normal reaction of a team after a big win to run to mid field and jump up and down. OSU did it when they beat Miami, Illinois did it when they beat OSU.

I am sure Miami had their logo on the field in Tempe (endzone).

But we aren't talking about post game endzone celebrations. We are talking about mid field. Nobody ever goes and jumps up and down on someones endzone logo but running to mid field and going crazy is normal after a big win.

RedFanAlways1966
11-11-2007, 10:40 PM
I maintain it is the normal reaction of a team after a big win to run to mid field and jump up and down. OSU did it when they beat Miami, Illinois did it when they beat OSU.

I agree and do not have a problem with celebrating a big win. I am not sure what really happened after Saturday's game or what might have been said. I am sure we can agree that celebrating is different than showing up the opponent. I am an OSU fan and they might have been in the wrong. Then again Illinois might have been wrong in the way they handled the "celebration". Either way I do not know what really happened. However, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the losing team should ignore the winner and let them look like jerks if they are doing what classy teams do not do... stomp on a team's logo or make two-bit comments to the losing team. Celebrating is fine and expected... in the right way.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Again, some comments I can appreciate.

I don't know what happened either. I was watching the ABC telecast when it happened and they didn't really show what happened, just the resulting melee. Some have said that Illinois was "stomping" on the OSU logo but stomping and jumping up and down are the same thing. If you look at the tape of the Fiesta Bowl you can see that jumping up and down is the main part of the OSU celebration.

Perhaps Illinois did go over the line. I just don't think they were over the line by being there. You're not on the sidelines with a minute left saying, OK guys, if we win, remeber we are on the road and we need to show respect, show no emotion and get to the locker room as soon as possible.

If Illinois did go over the line that is one thing. And calling them classless is one thing. But implying after you (your team) threw punches that you are classy why they aren't is what didn't sit right with me. I think the whole class thing went out the window with OSU's reaction. LIke you say 66, ignore Illinois and some of these defense arguments make a lot more sense.

Thanks for showing an open mind 66. It is appreciated.

traderumor
11-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Don't underestimate yourself. Home isn't the only place you struggle to find legitmate arguments.You have removed all doubt.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 11:11 PM

I don't think you comprehend how bad Illinois has been recently.

The fifteen years before this season they were a combined 64-107-2. They've been to one Bowl game this century.

Ohio State is 183-57-4 (not sure if this includes this year) since Earl Bruce left and they've been to a Bowl Game every year. Matter of fact I can't document them missing a Bowl game going back to 1929.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Buckeyes_football

Not sure what those down years you guys were speaking of but it doesn't look like OSU has been in the position the Illini were in since the 20s, if even then.

George Foster
11-11-2007, 11:12 PM
New rankings are out. OSU is #7, LSU #1

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

paintmered
11-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Ohio State is 183-57-4 (not sure if this includes this year) since Earl Bruce left and they've been to a Bowl Game every year. Matter of fact I can't document them missing a Bowl game going back to 1929.

Didn't OSU miss a bowl game during one of the Bellisari years?

guttle11
11-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Didn't OSU miss a bowl game during one of the Bellisari years?

1999, I believe. I think they went 6-6.

guttle11
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
I don't think you comprehend how bad Illinois has been recently.

The fifteen years before this season they were a combined 64-107-2. They've been to one Bowl game this century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_State_Buckeyes_football

Not sure what those down years you guys were speaking of but it doesn't look like OSU has been in the position the Illini were in since the 20s, if even then.

Good for them. Honestly, I think it's great that they're on the road back. Beating #1 on the road is nice, and a great stepping stone for their program. I do understand that feeling. Asd a UD Bball fan I remember the O'Brien years of horror, followed by a win over Kentucky (who were top ten I think) which foreshadowed a very nice 5 year run for the program. Very much like what Illinois did against OSU. I think Illinois is on the verge of a very nice run under Zook. I'd be surprised if they don't win the Big Ten once or twice in the next five years.

Ohio State had several close calls turned heartbreaks with the national title under Cooper, followed by a few down years, and then a national title seemingly came out of nowhere. The feeling we had on that night against Miami is indescribable. Now look at what OSU has become...second to only USC this decade.

The point is, each was great on its own level. You can't compare the two, because they aren't alike. But for some reason you are.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 11:28 PM
Yup hold on. I was looking at a column that was vs. Michigan and thought it was the coaches bowl records.

The reason I thought they had been to a bowl game every year was because the number of games vs. Michigan corresponded with the number of years each guy coached.

I looked at Cooper and he had 13 games vs. Michigan in 13 years, etc, etc.

My bad, OSU has missed out on bowls here and there. They missed out in 2000, following the 99 season. Before that the last year without a bowl was 89. Looks like they have missed postseason play four times in the last 35 years.

MaineRed
11-11-2007, 11:35 PM
Following GAC's advice I have been checking my OSU history books.

First thing that jumped out at me, the SEC is 8-0 vs. Ohio State all time in bowl games, including 7-0 since 1990.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction GAC.

guttle11
11-11-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm not comparing the two. But I'm also not advocating that it is OK for OSU to celebrate wherever they please because they are second to only USC this decade while suggesting teams beneath them should carefully consider their post game actions after a monumental (for them) upset.

This is partly my point. There seems to be this we can do what we want because of who were are mentality and you just laid it out perfectly in this post.

Find for me where I mentioned celebrations in that post? You're just grasping at straws, reading what you want to read.

Here's the point you're missing while you run around in circles...OSU had just gotten beat and had their dreams crushed. The adrenaline was still on overdrive. At that point, they reacted without thinking when they saw Illinois running to the logo. It was a spur of the moment thing, yet for you it's an indictment on the teams character and class.

Now, I did call Illinois classless for doing in an earlier post, and perhaps I jumped the gun on that. I realize it's a spur of the moment thing, and it may not have been intentional like Miami and FSU are known to do.

So what you get are nearly 200 personnel that are emotionally charged on both ends of the spectrum, and a scuffle broke out for like 5 seconds. Yet you remain so deadset on the thought that one team was classless and the other was not, when reasonable people would say both teams were out of line, or it was just a small scuffle that happens from time to time in emotional situations. Seems a bit biased to me. Actually, a lot biased. Let's try to be a little less myopic here.

MaineRed
11-12-2007, 12:14 AM
I NEVER said it was an indictment on their class. For someone making accusations about going in circles and the such I would think you would be more careful about putting words in my mouth. I was drawn to this conversation when OSU fans started pointing fingers at Illinois and broke out the word classless. My point at the time was simple, if Illinois has no class then neither does OSU. Pretty easy to understand. You can't claim to be classy while you are the field throwing haymakers, no matter what you are responding to.

I'm happy to give both teams a pass on this. The only problem is that most people in this thread don't want to forgive Illinois and want to continue to blame them for the incident. I'm even willing to say there was no incident, that it was that small of an issue. Go find some people arguing with me who are willing to make the same concession, willing to back off the Illini are the devil stance. Lets find out just who the reasonable people are, those who are willing to say, "it was just a small scuffle that happens from time to time."

I'm in agreement, it was a small scuffle that happens from time to time. Now lets see who wants to join our reasonable people club, guttle.

guttle11
11-12-2007, 12:24 AM
I NEVER said it was an indictment on their class.

Wow. Couldn't even finish the rest of the post.

MaineRed
11-12-2007, 12:41 AM
If the incident is an indictment on Illinois, it is also an indictment on the class of OSU. That I have said. But the rest of my post in this thread have been almost exclusively about what Illinois did and not what OSU did. Not sure what you have been reading. I'm not posting about a lack of class out of OSU. That is not my fight. It may have come up in a post here or there but it is hardly my main talking point.

The last time the actions of OSU were mentioned by me it was in a post to 66 in which I admitted to not seeing how the incident unfolded. It was a totally fair and balanced account on my knowledge of what happened. I have made no accusations about OSU. I have not pretended to know what happened. I have not come to any conclusions. But plenty of people have come to conclusions about what Illinois was up to. A non biased person would question them just as hard. What does that say about you?

Hoosier Red
11-12-2007, 09:43 AM
The thing about the O at midfield is every school has it's own "sacred" spaces. Of course they aren't sacred in the sense that it's religious or anything, but sacred in that it's an important symbol worth perserving for that University.
The turtle at Maryland, Howard's Rock at Clemson, the giant drum at Purdue, the booster room at Kentucky.
And for Ohio State that's the O. When somebody goes out and starts trashing that spot, then it's an emotional reaction.
To be fair, it didn't seem like it got out of control, it could have been much worse.

OnBaseMachine
11-12-2007, 08:25 PM
BTW, if anyone wants to see some truly horrible officiating then watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1QGjGFYlg

paintmered
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
BTW, if anyone wants to see some truly horrible officiating then watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1QGjGFYlg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Every single one of those officials should have been fired on the spot. Are you sure those refs weren't on the take?

StillFunkyB
11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
I don't know what everyone else has said here but what really upset me is that Illinois seemed to be running the same plays over and over again, and this defense couldn't seem to figure them out.

I don't like Boeckman. They keep clamoring about the guys arm strength on TV, but yet it seems as if he is ALWAYS under throwing on deep routes. Some guy on the radio I think called in and said that he is better than Troy Smith. I almost choked, that guy obviously doesn't watch football.

This game brought back memories of Michigan State a few years back....

OnBaseMachine
11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Every single one of those officials should have been fired on the spot. Are you sure those refs weren't on the take?

I already knew that Pac-10 and SEC refs were some of the worst I've seen, but this episode is truly bad. Those guys should be fired on the spot.

reds44
11-12-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't know what everyone else has said here but what really upset me is that Illinois seemed to be running the same plays over and over again, and this defense couldn't seem to figure them out.
I don't like Boeckman. They keep clamoring about the guys arm strength on TV, but yet it seems as if he is ALWAYS under throwing on deep routes. Some guy on the radio I think called in and said that he is better than Troy Smith. I almost choked, that guy obviously doesn't watch football.

This game brought back memories of Michigan State a few years back....
That's the thing about Illinois' zone read option, the same play can have three or even four different options.

Illinois runs a three WR set with Benn in the slot, and Mendenhall next to Juice. Many times, Illinois will motion Benn next to Williams as well, so Mendenhall and Benn are next to Juice who is in the gun. In this set, Juice actually has three options.

1. Hand it to Benn inside
2. Run the option, and keep the ball.
3. Run the option, and pitch it to Mendenhall.

Same thing goes when it's just Juice and Mendenhall in the backfield. Juice can read where the OLB is, and either hand it inside to Mendenhall or keep it for himself.

Sure, it could be the same play, but each play has multiple options. When you add in the fact the way Juice was throwing the ball, Illinois' offense becomes that much more difficult to stop.

Cedric
11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
I wrote last week on the problems with Ohio State. There are many right in the middle of the interior lines. This years team was never going to go undefeated. This loss didn't crush me.

LoganBuck
11-13-2007, 12:16 AM
I wrote last week on the problems with Ohio State. There are many right in the middle of the interior lines. This years team was never going to go undefeated. This loss didn't crush me.

Yep, that was my reaction as well. While I would have preferred to have been proven wrong, this team has overachieved/conference has underachieved. If you would have told me before the season, that they would be 10-1 going into Michigan I would have told you that this season was a tremendous success. I think they beat Michigan the week and go to the Rose Bowl. Not bad eh?

traderumor
11-13-2007, 11:37 AM
I wrote last week on the problems with Ohio State. There are many right in the middle of the interior lines. This years team was never going to go undefeated. This loss didn't crush me.Yes, you were so prophetic. That's why it took a no turnover, one penalty (late in the game) effort to pull it off, because of the glaring holes on this team. Not to mention that, year after year, when all is said and done, there are only one or two undefeated teams in the country. It is really a hard prediction to make.

Highlifeman21
11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
So....

Michigan Week.

Who ya got?

MaineRed
11-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Reports circling that Carr is set to announce he is done at Big Blue after the game.

dman
11-13-2007, 02:37 PM
IMO, the Rose Bowl isn't to shabby of a consolation gift to the Buckeyes for a 1 loss (hopefully) season.

GAC
11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
IMO, the Rose Bowl isn't to shabby of a consolation gift to the Buckeyes for a 1 loss (hopefully) season.

Not when a majority of Buckeye fans, going into this season and looking at what we lost (talent-wise) from last year, felt we would be a 2-3 loss team.

Any loss is a let down; but overall they have done well.

Especially if they can beat Michigan and go to the Rose Bowl. One can call it over-achieving or whatever; but I'm still impressed at what they have been able to accomplish. I really didn't expect it.

dman
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Not when a majority of Buckeye fans, going into this season and looking at what we lost (talent-wise) from last year, felt we would be a 2-3 loss team.

Any loss is a let down; but overall they have done well.

Especially if they can beat Michigan and go to the Rose Bowl. One can call it over-achieving or whatever; but I'm still impressed at what they have been able to accomplish. I really didn't expect it.

I agree totally. I don't want say that the Bucks were per se over-achievers, but they were certainly playing and will continue to play above most peoples' expectations.

Also, the loss against Illinois didn't come as a surprise to me. Looking back to the National Championship season of 2002, wasn't it Illinois that nearly de-railed that season with a game that went into double overtime?

AmarilloRed
11-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Can they still make the National Championship game with 1 loss? I know their strength of schedule and the fact that the had the loss late will hurt them.

MWM
11-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Both LSU AND Oregon would have to lose. I think one of Oklahoma or Kansas is going to be there if only one of those teams lose, and Kansas if they go undefeated, even if only one loses. So the only chance would be to beat Michigan, and then hope they leap West Virginia (or have WV lose to UC). It's not out of the realm of possibility.

The only thing that would disappoint me would be if Oklahoma goes. They're over-rated year in and year out and I honestly believe OSU is better. They're the only of the other contending teams I feel that way about.

cincy jacket
11-15-2007, 03:12 PM
OSU fandom aside, how can the Big Ten let a crew facing a suspension work a game with two of its top teams this late in a season with so much riding on it

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=bigtenmayhavemadeaveryco&prov=tsn&type=lgns

NJReds
11-15-2007, 03:48 PM
OSU fandom aside, how can the Big Ten let a crew facing a suspension work a game with two of its top teams this late in a season with so much riding on it

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=bigtenmayhavemadeaveryco&prov=tsn&type=lgns

I don't root for either team, and I agree that the Big 10 made a horrible decision. How could the conference make such a bad decision. The referee's aren't the only ones that should be on probation.

OnBaseMachine
11-15-2007, 07:34 PM
That non-fumble call in the OSU game, along with the fumble call against Oregon State, are easily two of the worst calls of the year. Both crews should either be fired or suspended. There is no excuse for that crap when replay is available.

guttle11
11-15-2007, 08:17 PM
That non-fumble call in the OSU game, along with the fumble call against Oregon State, are easily two of the worst calls of the year. Both crews should either be fired or suspended. There is no excuse for that crap when replay is available.

The missed calls don't upset me that much. Sure, it sucks when it happens to your team, but at full speed a lot of calls aren't easy to see, and they get the overwhelming majority of them correct.

The non-replays are what gets me. They have replay to make sure questionable calls are either confirmed or corrected. To have a questionable call not reviewed is horrible. If the replay official is not 100% sure watching the play at full speed, he should stop the game immediately and take a second look in slow motion. It takes 15 or so seconds to get the ball set and another 5-20 for the offense to get set and snap the ball.

There's just no excuse for not replaying questionable calls. If they're not going to use replay for the reasons it was installed, then get rid of it. An offense hurrying should not be an issue. 15 seconds is more than enough time for the replay official to hit a buzzer.

GAC
11-15-2007, 10:33 PM

From the Columbus Dispatch.....

The Big Ten will not conform whether or not it will take
discipline action against the officiating crew that worked Ohio State's game against Illinois, but it is, essentially, the same crew that worked the Penn State-Purdue game that the conference was already, reportedly, reviewing. Referee Stave Pamen, linesman Jack Teitz, line judge Robert Davis, back
judge Dennis Morris, field judge Bobby Sagers and side judge Joe Duncan all worked the same two games. At issue in OSU's loss was an Illinois fumble that was ruled down. Replays clearly show it was a fumble, which Ohio State recovered in the end zone. Illinois scored on the drive. "From what I
understand ... there was a technical difficulty with the replay system and I guess that happens," Head Coach Jim Tressel said. "We had a couple of technical difficulties with what we were doing too, so that didn't make the difference in the game."

I doubt very much if it would have made much of a difference in the game the way thast Illinis was playing (and OSU wasn't). This stuff happens. It's part of the game. One may not like it, but they can't continually cry over it IMO.

And the PAC-20 commissioner has suspended a replay official.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3110670

dabvu2498
11-16-2007, 09:13 AM
field judge Bobby Sagers http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3110670

Surprised they let a guy from Ohio work an Ohio State game. Bobby Sagers is from Cincy.