PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo > ESPN

HalMorrisRules
11-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Unlike the awful ESPN winter forecast, Yahoo sports had a pretty interesting offseason report for the Reds. This writer is aware that Dunn can not be traded before June 15th but it would seem that there are people out there that think that Dunn's no-trade clause really could be bought out or negated for the right price. I am all for keeping Dunn but if the clause can be overcome and the return worthwhile I think WK would have to consider any offers thrown his way.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-cincredshotstove111207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Cowboy
11-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Nice article. It made it sound like the Reds can be a good team.. If we trade Griff and Dunn of course..

durl
11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
You dare speak ill of ESPN??? They don't need accuracy or integrity! They're ESPN!!! They're the "Worldwide Leader in Sports!" Bow before them!!!

;)

jimbo
11-13-2007, 01:26 PM
Keep in mind that the writer's analysis is based on the assumption of an "expected" payroll. Fact is that from all indications Castellini has given, he would raise the payroll for the right players.

AdamDunn
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Probability of moving Dunn and Griffey during the same offseason .01 >

I wish though

SMcGavin
11-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Probability of moving Dunn and Griffey during the same offseason .01 >

I wish though

So then, even if you assume Bruce is ready and can produce right off the bat, who else starts for the Reds? Hopper? Freel? What about if Hamilton gets hurt like he did multiple times this year, we go with a Bruce-Freel-Hopper outfield?

If you can really get top prospects for Dunn then sure let's think about it, trading him just for payroll flexibility would be really misguided. I'm all for a KGJ trade though, just think it will be tough due to the issue of the deferred money.

ChatterRed
11-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Uh.......did you forget about Hamilton?

How about Bruce - Hamilton - Hopper in the outfield if KGJ and Dunn are traded?

kbrake
11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
Three guys in the OF who have proved nothing. That is a really shaky OF.

GoReds33
11-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Three guys in the OF who have proved nothing. That is a really shaky OF.That outfield has a lot of potential though. I would love to see those guys develop. Hamilton and Bruce will both be studs.:)

durl
11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
This team needs a combination of potential and experience. I don't think we need to wait another 3-4 years for Hamilton, Bruce, and Hopper to peak when we have proven players within the organization.

Will M
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
This team needs a combination of potential and experience. I don't think we need to wait another 3-4 years for Hamilton, Bruce, and Hopper to peak when we have proven players within the organization.

Teams like the Devil Rays go with perpetual youth. This is a mistake, years after years of futility.

You really do need some solid hard working vets to show the younger guys how it is done. I am thinking of guys like Hat and Weathers.
Now you also need some youngsters with energy.
And you need a few guys with real all star talent.
Put the three together & you have a winner.

CarolinaRedleg
11-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Here's an interesting offseason take

http://getsportsinfo.com/index.asp?page=baseball/featurearticles/reds/111207

SMcGavin
11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Uh.......did you forget about Hamilton?

How about Bruce - Hamilton - Hopper in the outfield if KGJ and Dunn are traded?

I mentioned Hamilton. I think counting on him to be healthy for a full season is a mistake. Even if he did stay healthy, it'd be Freel or Hopper in the other outfield slot and neither should be an everday player. If you trade both KGJ and Dunn you are taking a huge risk, that leaves us with zero outfielders who are proven starters for a whole season. You'd be counting on a total best-case scenario in which:

Bruce takes no time to adjust to MLB
Hamilton stays healthy for an entire season
Freel both a) starts hitting like he used to and b) stays healthy all year
Hopper keeps hitting like .330

All of those things aren't gonna happen. Without Dunn and Griffey our offense will be really bad. I'm OK with trading Griffey because I think Bruce probably is ready, but if you're replacing Dunn with Hopper or Freel that's gonna be pretty disasterous.

GoReds33
11-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Teams like the Devil Rays go with perpetual youth. This is a mistake, years after years of futility.

You really do need some solid hard working vets to show the younger guys how it is done. I am thinking of guys like Hat and Weathers.
Now you also need some youngsters with energy.
And you need a few guys with real all star talent.
Put the three together & you have a winner.The Devil Rays are a AAAA team. It seems like they have almost no determination to win. I would love to see them hang onto some of their young players. Hopefully the Reds will do the same. With those youngsters as established Major Leaguers, this team will go places, as the Rays would if they would keep some of their talent.:)

Will M
11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Here's an interesting offseason take

http://getsportsinfo.com/index.asp?page=baseball/featurearticles/reds/111207

This is actually a good plan.
I LOVE the idea of a Griffey for Kenji swap.
I do disagree with him about Belisle.