11-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Will be announced in about an hour

Ahhhorsepoo
11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
yeah, heard a little bit ago..
still trying to figure this one out..

GoReds33
11-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Finally an offseason shakeup. I was wondering when the intresting stuff would happen. Any details?

ED44
11-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Jocketty time?

Bip Roberts
11-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Good his job was pretty much a waste as soon as an owner with a pulse took over.

gedred69
11-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Since the Sarasota election, all his comments have been rather bitter about the results. I met him at ST a couple of years ago, and he talked with me like a old friend. BC and/or the Williamses will most like put a family member in a position to oversee the little things day to day.

hippie07
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
What was his job description anyway?

Bip Roberts
11-13-2007, 05:09 PM
What was his job description anyway?

Um he was pretty much the GM of the finances. How can we make the most money with the least amount of risk.

jimbo
11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Good riddance.

Redhook
11-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Um he was pretty much the GM of the finances. How can we make the most money with the least amount of risk.

Mike Brown's job description as well.

I love Cincinnati, I really do. I grew up here, moved away for 5 years, and now I'm happy to be back. My only gripe is how conservative this city is and how its run from the snail-like approach to the Banks Project, Mike Brown's cheap-skate ways, the Reds sitting back and watching others make things happen, to the GABP being squeezed onto the riverfront instead of Broadway Commons.

I could go on and on, but my point is I'm glad Allen is leaving. The Reds, like the city, need to get more creative and out-going. Hopefully, the fresh air that arrives from Allen's departure will bring good things to the team and the city.

redsfanmia
11-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Now let the winning commence and lets get Barry Larkin back in the organization.

durl
11-13-2007, 06:42 PM
I really didn't have a problem with Allen as COO. While he did a pretty good job of running the team after Marge was suspended, I had misgivings with a financial guy making decisions that a "baseball" exec should be making. I thought it was a good move to take baseball operations away from Allen and put it under the GM.

I don't think we should expect some major turnaround in the Reds productivity because the COO has changed. He handles the money, not the players.

AmarilloRed
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Reds COO Allen steps down
Long-time Cincinnati executive will stay on as consultant
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds executive vice president and chief operating officer John Allen has resigned, the team announced on Tuesday.

Allen will stay on as a consultant as the team looks for a new Spring Training home for 2009.

Allen spent 13 seasons with the Reds and 18 in professional baseball. After joining the team as controller in 1995, he'll largely be remembered for being the managing executive that took over after former owner Marge Schott relinquished day-to-day control over the team.

During that tenure, it was Allen who spearheaded a renewed dedication to the Reds' history by retiring numbers of former players and erecting statues of players from the franchise's early years. Those efforts evolved into the 2004 opening of the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum adjacent to Great American Ball Park.

The facility has Allen's imprint throughout. He was involved with the development and construction after being named COO in 1999.

Allen and Reds owner/CEO Bob Castellini have scheduled a 4 p.m. ET press conference. The club said Allen would not be replaced and his duties would re-allocated from within.

"John has been the backbone of this organization for 13 seasons and did great things for the Reds and for the city of Cincinnati," Castellini said in a statement. "He left his imprint here in countless ways. We, and Reds fans everywhere, appreciate his contributions to our team's legacy.

"For the past two years, John has proved to be invaluable to me. It is an understatement to say that I will very much miss his effective hard work and the loyalty he extended to this franchise and to me personally. This was a decision made solely by John. He and his wife, Anna, have opted to move back to their home state of Kansas, where they have many activities and much family that is dear to them. I have asked John, and he has agreed, to stay with the Reds as a consultant to direct our Spring Training location efforts."

Mark Sheldon is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
print this page

He will still be utilized as a consultant to find a new home for the Reds in Spring training after Sarasota.

redsfan1966
11-13-2007, 08:46 PM
This is disappointing news to me personally. I have met John a few times and found him to be a pleasant and engaging person to talk to. I remember John from his tenure here in Columbus with the Clippers and wish him well.

GoReds33
11-13-2007, 09:01 PM
It is atleast good that he is staying on as a consultant for a new Spring training home. This whole thing was his puppy anyway. I hope that he can help us select a very good location.

Vada Pinson Fan
11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
I too had an opportunity to talk with John Allen once(inside the Reds Hall of Fame) and yes he has an engaging personality and is a pleasant man, BUT I always believed he ran his business with the Reds caring more about the "Bottom Line" than the product that was on the field. Case in point- Jim Bowden being handcuffed from either Allen or Lindner or both and JIMBO not being able to sign the players Bowden and his scouts wanted because of high dollar demands from the players agent(s) and the Reds historically passed on better players that carried a high price tag to sign. Kazmir was one of those players that got away as was Jeremy Sowers (glad Sowers didn't become a Red anyway) and to a lesser extent C.C. Sabathia. Just look at the Jim Bowden years after Lindner became controlling partner and John Allen was the President and C.O.O. It was fairly well known that the owner wasn't going to lose money on the Reds and it was Allen's job to make absolutely sure that didn't happen. Hence the overall mediocre drafts outside of Kearns and Dunn.

Overall John Allen has reminded me of the phrase- "If you're not part of the answer, you're part of the problem." The overall configuration of the "disjointed" Great American Ballpark was his baby as mentioned in today's Cincinnati Enquirer sports online. But I do give John Allen credit for a great Reds Hall of Fame and the honor bestowed on former Reds having their jersey number's retired was due to John Allen getting the ball rolling initially and then letting the fans vote in up to 3 honorees each year.

I wish you all the best, John Allen. Good Luck in your future endeavors.

Vada Pinson Fan

TheWalls
11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Oh please let Jocketty be the other shoe dropping!

AmarilloRed
11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
I read where there was a report from WLW that Allen's departure from the Reds clears the way for Barry Larkin to return to the Reds organization. I cannot confirm it however.

Vada Pinson Fan
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Oh please let Jocketty be the other shoe dropping!

The Enquirer states that Allen will not be replaced. JA's duties will be absorbed by others in the Reds front office.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071113/SPT04/311130049/1062/SPT

Mutaman
11-14-2007, 12:58 AM
One less vestige of the Banana Man.

bounty37h
11-14-2007, 12:05 PM
I read where there was a report from WLW that Allen's departure from the Reds clears the way for Barry Larkin to return to the Reds organization. I cannot confirm it however.

The interview said they wouldnt be hiring anyone new to take over, but spreading his responsibilities within existing staff....

Boston Red
11-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Too bad. I liked Allen, and I think his role was a bit misunderstood by many. It wasn't his money that was being spent or saved. He was simply taking orders from his bosses, just like the rest of us (generally speaking) have to do everyday. I think he did a great job of bringing some common sense back to the organization after Schott's ouster.

nyjwagner
11-17-2007, 09:25 PM
There was no bigger champion for the organization during the Lindner years then John Allen. I was lucky to meet him on several occasions, and would say he was a gem. The spring training issues will be well handled in his hands.

nyjwagner
11-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Oh, and I am not sure Jocketty is a better answer.... unless you are firing Krivsky. You only need one voice in baseball operations.... and you can find better guys to watch the budget.