PDA

View Full Version : NFL reinstates Ricky Williams...

Matt700wlw
11-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah, this makes sense...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3109760

WMR
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA Matt, did you post this article on 4:20 on purpose?!?!

:lol:

Chip R
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM

Matt700wlw
11-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Nice

SeeinRed
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
.....And Odell Thurman sits on the sidelines. Why make an example out of a LB with one year in the league arrested for a DUI and not a guy who constantly gets caught for drug abuse. Thurman will now sit out at least 2 seasons while even the judge on his case says he has shown himself to be mature and compliant, two things Ricky has never shown.

KronoRed
11-14-2007, 06:15 PM
How long before Ricky is gone gain?

Jaycint
11-14-2007, 06:19 PM
.....And Odell Thurman sits on the sidelines. Why make an example out of a LB with one year in the league arrested for a DUI and not a guy who constantly gets caught for drug abuse. Thurman will now sit out at least 2 seasons while even the judge on his case says he has shown himself to be mature and compliant, two things Ricky has never shown.

I really think there has to be other stuff at play in Thurman's case. If the DUI were his only offense in the time span of his first suspension I think he would be on the field right now. As far as his compliance with the judge's orders from the DUI case, he may be completely fine, but something else unrelated must have happened that we just don't know about.

Screwball
11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I really think there has to be other stuff at play in Thurman's case. If the DUI were his only offense in the time span of his first suspension I think he would be on the field right now. As far as his compliance with the judge's orders from the DUI case, he may be completely fine, but something else unrelated must have happened that we just don't know about.

Maybe, but consider a couple things:

1.) Not one word has ever been made public about the commisioner's decision. Why would he withhold information that justifies his decision? It only makes him look worse, conveying the image of the arbitrary iron fist, and he (or his PR people) has to know that.

2.) Odell and his lawyers have taken his case to court under a violation of The Disabilties Act. His defense is that he is being held out of work as direct result of his alcoholism, which is considered a mental illness. I don't see why he would actually take a case like that to trial if he knew that the commisioner knew there were other reasons why he was suspended (or not reinstated) for another year.

Having said all that, Odell Thurman isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and I wouldn't put getting into further trouble past him. However, everything I've read or heard on the situation has either directly states or suggests he's been on the straight and narrow.

Chip R
11-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe, but consider a couple things:

1.) Not one word has ever been made public about the commisioner's decision. Why would he withhold information that justifies his decision? It only makes him look worse, conveying the image of the arbitrary iron fist, and he (or his PR people) has to know that.

It only makes him look bad to the partisan fans of the Bengals. To everyone else the Iron Fist Commissioner plays pretty well in the media and the public. He's not coddling these druggie/boozer millionaires, especially the repeat violators.

M2
11-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Ricky's reinstated? I wonder what he'll do to celebrate?

Blimpie
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM

:lol:Granted, it has been a long day...

but did I miss something about the meaning of that particular time?

I was thinking, perhaps, that 4 to 20 was his sentence if he tested positive again....:confused:

Screwball
11-14-2007, 07:27 PM
It only makes him look bad to the partisan fans of the Bengals. To everyone else the Iron Fist Commissioner plays pretty well in the media and the public. He's not coddling these druggie/boozer millionaires, especially the repeat violators.

Agreed he's made to look good in the media re: Pacman, Chris Henry, and Tank Johnson. However, I still keep in touch with several friends from college, all of them fans of teams not named the Bengals. Invariably, they agree that Odell got screwed. Even my good friend who happens to be a Steelers fan said he was shocked Thurman didn't get back in, and even more confused as to why no reason was given for the snub. The Odell situation hasn't made national headlines (unfortunately, IMO), but that's not to suggest NFL fans haven't taken notice.

WMR
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Granted, it has been a long day...

but did I miss something about the meaning of that particular time?

I was thinking, perhaps, that 4 to 20 was his sentence if he tested positive again....:confused:

Blimp, you square!! :D ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4:20

"Hey, it's 4:19... Gotta minute?"

Blimpie
11-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Blimp, you square!! :D ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4:20

"Hey, it's 4:19... Gotta minute?"Guilty as charged....

Dude, as God as my witness, I have never heard of that reference before in my life.

What is most puzzling to me about my ignorance to that phrase is that my watch stayed stuck on 4:20 for more than a few semesters in college.

WMR
11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Guilty as charged....

Dude, as God as my witness, I have never heard of that reference before in my life.

What is most puzzling to me about my ignorance to that phrase is that my watch stayed stuck on 4:20 for more than a few semesters in college.

GAC
11-14-2007, 09:08 PM
How long before Ricky is gone gain?

Right after the first toke. Oh - you mean gone from the NFL. :p:

BuckWoody
11-14-2007, 09:52 PM
http://catsnstuff.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/dude-wait-what.jpg

SeeinRed
11-15-2007, 03:00 PM

Could be, but if I remember right, it was pretty much taken by all who were familiar with the situation as the commish setting an example with Odell. Why use him, why not really grab some attention and keep Ricky out of the NFL. The commish really dropped the ball IMO. He didn't prove to be tough, just to be inconsistent across the board on discipline. The NFLPA could have a field day with this if they wanted too. Why does a repeat offender get back in when Odell, who by all accounts complied with and maybe even went above the call of duty with his case. By all accounts he was a no brainer to be reinstated. Yeah, the Bengals have had problems with the law, but that doesn't make them eligible to be treated like the stepchildren of the NFL.

It all makes me think, not just about Odell, but the Bengals in general. Imagine if they were able to keep their noses clean. If Henry and Thurman stayed out of trouble and to take it further, if Pollack wasn't seriously injured. What would this team look like right now. I don't know, but I have to believe it would have been at least a little better. If Odell and David Pollack had even lived up to a little of their potential, would not this team be completely different. I can't blame all of that on Marvin because injury is completely unlucky and the players have to take responsibility for their own actions in the end. Maybe it was too risky to draft some of those players, but you can't fault him back then. Now you can however. Now you can say he has to stay away from those players just because there is a history. But not back then. Again, just my opinion.

This last paragrass is written in honor of Ricky. If he had token his time and just made sound choices, he would might have chosen football over drugs. Instead, he decided getting high was much more important than smokin the competition in football. Why would anybody get stoked up over him if he has given in to the hemptation time after time. He can't expect any body to give him much green just based on what he did before. Drug policies have gotten tighter, sobriety expectations higher. He isn't going to change. The NFL can't trust him and neither cannibis.(that one was kind of a stretch. Its "can us." Bad grammar, I know.)

CrackerJack
11-16-2007, 01:46 PM
The problem with "Odell" is that he failed at least two drugs tests prior to his DUI conviction, much like Ricky Williams, which results in a mandatory suspension. He also did not meet his obligations to be reinstated fully, and supposably had problems making appointments and meetings continually. In addition to that he also was involved in an incident where guns were drawn and he physically assaulted someone in a setting where alcohol was heaviliy consumed. (the NFL has their own little secret police that looks into these matters and interviews those present).

Ricky Williams did not get arrested or beat anyone up or pull a gun with his homies, he simply smoked pot.

With all due respect I just get tired of the "poor Odell" stuff - the guy is much worse than Ricky Williams. I'm sure Goodell had his reasons, and I'm sure there wasn't any way he could just arbitrarily decide to give him another year because he "just felt like it."

It may have been harsh, but Odell has no one to blame but himself, and frankly I hope he never wears stripes again - he can't be trusted.