PDA

View Full Version : Redszone Community Prospect vote: #1

dougdirt
11-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Well this is going to be fairly straight forward.

Vote for the player who you think is the Reds #1 prospect. We will go with this as far as you guys want to take it.

I will post a new list every 2 days with 10-15 options to vote on.

If you feel like making an argument on why a guy should be voted here, feel free to vote and state why you voted for that player.

If there is someone that is not currently listed as an option to vote on, vote for 'other' then just state who you want to vote for in the thread.

If there is anyone you would like to see as an option on the next poll, just say so and if they garner enough support, they will be placed on the next poll. Guys with the lowest amount of votes will usually be removed for the next few guys who were talked about in the previous thread.

Triples
11-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm going with Jay Bruce, although its a tough call between he and Bailey. There's just something about that kid...he just seems to be the complete package both mentally and phyiscally. My gut says that we'll be back here in ten years comparing his numbers to Jr and Mickey Mantle. Bailey has all the phyiscal tools to be another Nolan Ryan but I wonder if he has the mental toughness. I truly hope he makes me eat my words on that issue.

dougdirt
11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I went with Jay Bruce. When 20 year old kids OPS .900 in 200+ AAA at bats, it is an absolute rare feat. The scouting report on the kid is above average on speed and even better on everything else he does. The ball just makes a different sound when he hits it.

It wasn't as close for me with Bruce and Bailey as it seems like it was for triples. I love Homer Bailey and think he is easily a Top 10 prospect in all of baseball, but Jay is just on a different level.

klw
11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Bruuuuuce. This was an easy one.

Mario-Rijo
11-14-2007, 05:25 PM
It' easily Bruce at this point. Homer's development certainly may be more critical, but Jay's seems to be more obvious to me.

Kc61
11-14-2007, 05:28 PM
I think the list, in future polls, should be alphabetical. This one is easy, but the favored pick seems obvious from his placement.

dougdirt
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
I think the list, in future polls, should be alphabetical. This one is easy, but the favored pick seems obvious from his placement.
Good point. Noted and will do.

GoReds33
11-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Well, that's a landslide.

M2
11-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Well, that's a landslide.

Indeed. Then again, Bruce would pretty much be the acclaim #1 on any prospect list.

doug, just a suggestion, but you might want to list the choices alphabetically instead of in their nominal rankings.

Screwball
11-14-2007, 07:06 PM
If only Homer's middle name was F'ing...

Superdude
11-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Who'd have thought that Jay Bruce would be the unanimous choice over Homer Bailey when the season started.

Will M
11-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Bruce > Votto due to age at which he developed.

Bruce > Bailey/Cueto due to pitching prospects panning out less often than hitters.

However, all four are A or A+ prospects.

gedred69
11-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Who'd have thought that Jay Bruce would be the unanimous choice over Homer Bailey when the season started.
Especially after the national pundits said "he faded dramatically" in the 2nd half in '06, saying his "durability was questionable". HAH!! Instead, this year he got even better. Please BC and WK, if this guy shows himself to be MLB ready in the Spring, don't hold him back with lame excuses like you did Votto last year!!

OnBaseMachine
11-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Jay Bruce.

And how about making these a public poll so we can see who voted for who.

Ron Madden
11-15-2007, 03:42 AM
Jay Bruce.

And how about making these a public poll so we can see who voted for who.

Agree with OBM on both ponts.

camisadelgolf
11-15-2007, 04:08 AM
Steve Kelly just became a free agent, so this was an easy choice for me: Jay Bruce.

Danny Serafini
11-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Wow, 52 votes and I'm the first to pick Bailey. Wouldn't have expected that. Personally I just put a little higher premium on a stud pitcher than a stud position player. And I'm not going to penalize him for struggling in his callup when he wasn't ready and never should've been called up in the first place. I've got to think that's hurt him some in the voting.

dougdirt
11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Would it really bother anyone if we just moved on to #2? I don't think there is much anyone is going to do to knock down Jay Bruce in this one?

M2, someone got to your suggestion right before you did. I didn't really think about it, but plan on them being in alphabetical order from here on forward.

Benihana
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
IMO, there is no point in including Joey Votto on this list, seeing as how he's obviously starting the season in Cincinnati. I know he is ROY eligible, but if we really want to gauge Reds "prospects" on the "minor league forum" I think we should focus on guys that are really at least starting in the minor leagues.

Benihana
11-15-2007, 10:22 AM
So have they decided whether Homer's arbitration clock was started as of last year or will it start this year?

dougdirt
11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
IMO, there is no point in including Joey Votto on this list, seeing as how he's obviously starting the season in Cincinnati. I know he is ROY eligible, but if we really want to gauge Reds "prospects" on the "minor league forum" I think we should focus on guys that are really at least starting in the minor leagues.

Well if thats the case the Homer Bailey shouldn't be included on the list either.... but its anyone who will be ROY eligible next year for the Cincinnati Reds and both players qualify.

Benihana
11-15-2007, 10:39 AM
Well if thats the case the Homer Bailey shouldn't be included on the list either.... but its anyone who will be ROY eligible next year for the Cincinnati Reds and both players qualify.

wow, a little curt are we?

It was just a suggestion.

dougdirt
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Not the way I meant it, if thats the way you took it. Just stating that if we were going that way,then Bailey wouldn't be included either. We did come up with the ROY eligible players are the ones that will go on the list though.

flash
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
You forgot about Pelland. He is showing right now why he should be on the roster in 08

Joseph
11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Let's move on to #2 DD. I think this one is settled already.

Danny Serafini
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
So have they decided whether Homer's arbitration clock was started as of last year or will it start this year?

It started the day he was called up and stopped the day he was sent down. And then restarted when he was called back up.

Benihana
11-15-2007, 11:57 AM
It started the day he was called up and stopped the day he was sent down. And then restarted when he was called back up.

I know. I guess what I was asking is will he qualify as one of those Super 2 guys?

camisadelgolf
11-15-2007, 12:44 PM
If Bailey spends all of 2008 and 2009 in MLB, he will almost definitely not qualify as a Super Two guy.

Benihana
11-15-2007, 12:46 PM
If Bailey spends all of 2008 and 2009 in MLB, he will almost definitely not qualify as a Super Two guy.

meaning it was as if he was never called up this past season?

camisadelgolf
11-15-2007, 03:25 PM
meaning it was as if he was never called up this past season?

That's a deceiving way of putting it, but I'll go into more details.

To qualify as a super two, you generally need between two years, 128 days and 2 years, 140 days of service time. This is a different number every year, but it is determined by who is in the top 17% in service time amongst players with less than three years.

I believe Homer Bailey had about 40 days of service time. That means, assuming he's a Red for all of 2008 and 2009, he would've needed to have been on the 25-man roster about three months longer to qualify as a 'super two' after the 2009 season.

TOBTTReds
11-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Who's the OTHER vote?

Mario-Rijo
11-15-2007, 05:32 PM
That's a deceiving way of putting it, but I'll go into more details.

To qualify as a super two, you generally need between two years, 128 days and 2 years, 140 days of service time. This is a different number every year, but it is determined by who is in the top 17% in service time amongst players with less than three years.

I believe Homer Bailey had about 40 days of service time. That means, assuming he's a Red for all of 2008 and 2009, he would've needed to have been on the 25-man roster about three months longer to qualify as a 'super two' after the 2009 season.

And this get's him......arbitration eligible early?

dougdirt
11-15-2007, 06:05 PM
And this get's him......arbitration eligible early?

Yes, it would.

WMR
11-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Jay Bruce.